Forum Settings
Forums

Why do so many animes feel the need to be depressing?

New
Mar 9, 2014 10:33 PM
Jan 2014
This is like this... sixth or seventh anime in a row that I've watched that has gone out of it's way to be depressing in one way or another. Mostly from a tragedy or death. I understand life is hard and its good to study the pain of loss to learn something or to move people but come on, anime... take some damn prozac.

Clannad: AS... oh dear mother of all things holy, this one... this f*cking anime... I think I am forever scarred by this one.
Gurren Lagann
Gode Geass
Guilty Crown
Angel Beats
ect...

I don't mind some animes being dark or having dark endings but... it seems really high. Is it a Japanese cultural thing?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 9, 2014 10:34 PM

Jun 2007
Maybe if you didn't go out of your way to watch shows clearly labeled as drama that wouldn't happen.
Mar 9, 2014 10:35 PM

Jan 2014
your doing it to yourself.

i find a ton of not SUPER FUCKING DARK anime just fine.

another (not really depressing just horror.)

i found it, it was like that, but i did it on purpose.
if i want something light and fluffy i will go watch sakura trick or something. :3
anime with cute girls is my thing.
Mar 9, 2014 10:41 PM

Sep 2012
TallonKarrde23 said:
Maybe if you didn't go out of your way to watch shows clearly labeled as drama that wouldn't happen.

I do have to agree with this statement. However, I also agree that Clannad Afterstory was unnecessarily and ridiculously sad.

In all honesty I find it pretty easy to gauge a show based on the genres and other peoples' reviews. I, like you, don't go for really sad stuff (most of the time). I did enjoy Code Geasse and it's my highest rated anime though. I didn't find that necessarily sad I saw it as beautifully tragic. To each his own though.

Anyways there are plenty of feel good anime out there BELIEVE IT! My anime list is full of them;) But don't be one of those people that goes and complains a "feel-good" anime is formulaic, cause then you'll just piss people off lol!
Mar 9, 2014 10:42 PM

Mar 2008
VirtusSignum said:
Clannad: AS
Gurren Lagann
Gode Geass
Guilty Crown
Angel Beats
ect...

I don't mind some animes being dark or having dark endings but... it seems really high. Is it a Japanese cultural thing?
And yet, these can all be seen as having positive, 'happy' endings.
Mar 9, 2014 10:42 PM
Dec 2013
Depressing feels are the best, if you don't like it then watch lucky star or something.
Mar 9, 2014 10:45 PM

Oct 2012
I really don't think anime is any more depressing than any other medium. Maybe watch some happy go lucky comedy or ecchi anime? Also I don't know why but Gode Geass gave me quite a laugh.

Mar 9, 2014 10:45 PM

Jun 2007
Ckan said:
VirtusSignum said:
Gurren Lagann
Gode Geass
Guilty Crown
Angel Beats
ect...

Depressing doesn't necessarily mean sad.
Mar 9, 2014 10:48 PM
Jan 2014
TallonKarrde23 said:

Ckan said:
VirtusSignum said:
Gurren Lagann
Gode Geass
Guilty Crown
Angel Beats
ect...

I suppose in some sick, twisted sense of happy.
Mar 9, 2014 10:49 PM
Jan 2014
Shrabster said:
I really don't think anime is any more depressing than any other medium. Maybe watch some happy go lucky comedy or ecchi anime? Also I don't know why but Gode Geass gave me quite a laugh.

Oh I laughed a lot in Code Geass and I loved it... but it was just really dark and depressing at the end.
Mar 9, 2014 10:49 PM
Jul 2013
TallonKarrde23 said:
Ckan said:
VirtusSignum said:
Gurren Lagann
Gode Geass
Guilty Crown
Angel Beats
ect...

It has been a long time indeed since I have seen what can be considered a happy anime.

As for the topic, I grew out of watching genres not Horror or Thriller. I find these "depressing" or dark anime to be far more interesting and enjoyable than a happy comedy or romance.
Mar 9, 2014 10:51 PM

Mar 2008
TallonKarrde23 said:
Ckan said:
VirtusSignum said:
Gurren Lagann
Gode Geass
Guilty Crown
Angel Beats
ect...

Indeed. And while that may be overly pedantic, my point was that those those endings were not necessarily "dark endings" at all.
Mar 9, 2014 10:55 PM
Jan 2014
NaruFreak26 said:
Depressing feels are the best, if you don't like it then watch lucky star or something.

Sure... but what is a feel?
Mar 9, 2014 10:56 PM

Dec 2012
Watch Texhnolyze, then we will talk.
Mar 9, 2014 11:12 PM

Aug 2011
Watch Grave of the Fireflies to help you not feel depressed anymore, that or K-ON!
Mar 9, 2014 11:14 PM

Jan 2014
VirtusSignum said:
This is like this... sixth or seventh anime in a row that I've watched that has gone out of it's way to be depressing in one way or another. Mostly from a tragedy or death. I understand life is hard and its good to study the pain of loss to learn something or to move people but come on, anime... take some damn prozac.

Clannad: AS... oh dear mother of all things holy, this one... this f*cking anime... I think I am forever scarred by this one.
Gurren Lagann
Gode Geass
Guilty Crown
Angel Beats
ect...

You don't know the word DEPRESSING until you watched the ending of PHANTOM:REQUIEM FOR THE PHANTOM.

THAT anime made me depressed and shocked for several days.. It changed me.
F0XFIRE said:
OP 4 most butthurt bitch on MAL.

Mar 9, 2014 11:19 PM
Dec 2013
mitch3315 said:
Watch Grave of the Fireflies to help you not feel depressed anymore, that or K-ON!

Huh? What's depressing about K-On?
Mar 9, 2014 11:23 PM
Jul 2013
mitch3315 said:

Sure was a feel good movie.
Mar 9, 2014 11:25 PM

Aug 2011
Motherurck said:
mitch3315 said:

I said "help you not feel depressed anymore".
Mar 9, 2014 11:27 PM

Jun 2007
mitch3315 said:
Motherurck said:
mitch3315 said:

I dunno, it's pretty bittersweet at times, especially near the finale. A lot of people cried, I didn't - but I was sad too. Not depressing, but still not devoid of some sad and touching elements.
Mar 9, 2014 11:32 PM

Nov 2011
In some peoples mind depressing means deep and clever. You know the whole drama is superior to comedy because comedies aren't serious type of mentality.
Mar 9, 2014 11:35 PM

Aug 2011
TallonKarrde23 said:
mitch3315 said:
Motherurck said:
mitch3315 said:

I dunno, it's pretty bittersweet at times, especially near the finale. A lot of people cried, I didn't - but I was sad too. Not depressing, but still not devoid of some sad and touching elements.

It has it's emotional moments, but they never leave you feeling depressed. I think the overall tone of the show is too happy go lucky to ever leave you feeling depressed. Which is why I used it as the contrast to my terrible recommendation of using Grave of the Fireflies to stop feeling depressed.
Mar 9, 2014 11:44 PM

Nov 2011
mitch3315 said:
TallonKarrde23 said:
mitch3315 said:
Motherurck said:
mitch3315 said:

It has it's emotional moments, but they never leave you feeling depressed. I think the overall tone of the show is too happy go lucky to ever leave you feeling depressed. Which is why I used it as the contrast to my terrible recommendation of using Grave of the Fireflies to stop feeling depressed.
They thought you were using both recs as a sort of sarcastic response. That said Belladonna is a great anime that will lighten up anyone's day :D
Mar 9, 2014 11:52 PM
Nov 2008
TallonKarrde23 said:
mitch3315 said:
Motherurck said:
mitch3315 said:

That's why you read the manga, which doesn't end at the end of high school.
Mar 9, 2014 11:55 PM

Aug 2011
Heredity said:
TallonKarrde23 said:
mitch3315 said:
Motherurck said:
mitch3315 said:

It should have though. Luckily KyoAni realised the ending the the high school part was a great ending point for the series and left it there.
Mar 9, 2014 11:55 PM

Jun 2007
Heredity said:
TallonKarrde23 said:
mitch3315 said:
Motherurck said:
mitch3315 said:

The college manga blows and so does Azusa's stuff. Actually, the K-ON manga overall is pretty bad, it's one of the few times KyoAni's awful work at adaptations worked out for the better. But really, the college shit is way worse than the rest, you can tell the mangaka was just making more because the anime made it popular and he had a wave to ride. Even hardcore fans dropped it not that far in.
Mar 9, 2014 11:57 PM

Jan 2013
Isn't there almost the same, if not more number of comedies in anime?
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Mar 9, 2014 11:58 PM
Nov 2008
TallonKarrde23 said:
Heredity said:
TallonKarrde23 said:
mitch3315 said:
Motherurck said:
mitch3315 said:

The college manga blows and so does Azusa's stuff. Actually, the K-ON manga overall is pretty bad, it's one of the few times KyoAni's awful work at adaptations worked out for the better. But really, the college shit is way worse than the rest, you can tell the mangaka was just making more because the anime made it popular and he had a wave to ride. Even hardcore fans dropped it not that far in.

Hook.

Line.

And sinker.
Mar 10, 2014 4:46 AM
May 2009
You don't want depressing anime then don't watch as someone already mentioned drama.

Just focus on Comedic slice of life.

Personally I enjoy abit of depression in anime. Really gives it the emotional edge.

Though as much as I like feeling down from anime, I also love it when I am dying of laughter.
Mar 10, 2014 4:56 AM

Jul 2011
Everytime I play shooters, people shoot each other to death with guns. Is this an american thing?
AeserumMar 10, 2014 5:00 AM
Mar 10, 2014 5:16 AM

Mar 2013
BlackSabotage said:
You know the whole drama is superior to comedy because comedies aren't serious type of mentality.

If you think comedies can't be serious, you've clearly never seen Scrubs.
Mar 10, 2014 5:22 AM
Jan 2013
"animes"

Did anyone else find that annoying?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 10, 2014 5:25 AM

Jan 2013
Hulmy said:
"animes"

Grammar nazi detected..
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Mar 10, 2014 5:27 AM

Nov 2013
Because the creators want to leave a "lasting effect" after you finish watching that ultimately makes you feel inclined to spend some of your money.
Mar 10, 2014 5:32 AM

Feb 2013
not many anime "feel the need to be depressing"; those that do usually end up to be more popular
Mar 10, 2014 5:37 AM
Jan 2013
skyzblue said:
Hulmy said:
"animes"

Grammar nazi detected..

Not at all.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 10, 2014 5:44 AM

Feb 2013
Hulmy said:
skyzblue said:
Hulmy said:
"animes"

Grammar nazi detected..

Not at all.

I hole-hardedly agree, but allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies. We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you all seem to be taking something very valuable for granite. So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there.
Although there is some merit to what you are saying it seems like you have a huge ship on your shoulder. In your argument you seem to throw everything in but the kids Nsync, and even though you are having a feel day with this I am here to bring you back into reality. I have a sick sense when it comes to these types of things.
It is almost spooky, because I cannot turn a blonde eye to these glaring flaws in your rhetoric. I have zero taller ants when it comes to people spouting out hate in the name of moral righteousness. You just need to remember what comes around is all around, and when supply and command fails you will be the first to go.
Make my words, when you get down to brass stacks it doesn't take rocket appliances to get two birds stoned at once. It's clear who makes the pants in this relationship, and sometimes you just have to swallow your prize and accept the facts. You might have to come to this conclusion through denial and error but I swear on my mother's mating name that when you put the petal to the medal you will pass with flying carpets like it’s a peach of cake.
Irregardless its the same difference and i literally could care less for all intensive purposes so you're point is mute per say
Mar 10, 2014 5:49 AM

Jan 2014
romagia said:
Hulmy said:
skyzblue said:
Hulmy said:
"animes"

Grammar nazi detected..

Not at all.

I hole-hardedly agree, but allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies. We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you all seem to be taking something very valuable for granite. So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there.
Although there is some merit to what you are saying it seems like you have a huge ship on your shoulder. In your argument you seem to throw everything in but the kids Nsync, and even though you are having a feel day with this I am here to bring you back into reality. I have a sick sense when it comes to these types of things.
It is almost spooky, because I cannot turn a blonde eye to these glaring flaws in your rhetoric. I have zero taller ants when it comes to people spouting out hate in the name of moral righteousness. You just need to remember what comes around is all around, and when supply and command fails you will be the first to go.
Make my words, when you get down to brass stacks it doesn't take rocket appliances to get two birds stoned at once. It's clear who makes the pants in this relationship, and sometimes you just have to swallow your prize and accept the facts. You might have to come to this conclusion through denial and error but I swear on my mother's mating name that when you put the petal to the medal you will pass with flying carpets like it’s a peach of cake.
Irregardless its the same difference and i literally could care less for all intensive purposes so you're point is mute per say

Preach brother.
Mar 10, 2014 5:56 AM

Nov 2013
romagia said:
Hulmy said:
skyzblue said:
Hulmy said:
"animes"

Grammar nazi detected..

Not at all.

Proper English is proper.
Mar 10, 2014 6:19 AM

May 2012
Refer to this thread:

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1100071
S H O U T _ O L D _ B U T _ G O L D
Mar 10, 2014 6:25 AM

Feb 2014
Clannad After Story didn't do shit for me, I didn't get the 'feels' that everyone else supposedly got. I guess shows with excessive melodrama and tragic events don't affect me.

A show that did affect me however was Watamote. Yeah sure as a comedy show it was funny at first but then several episodes into the show it got sad and I felt sorry for the protagonist Tomoko. Then came the realisation that I had just as much of a shitty High school life as Tomoko did and how much I could relate to her. Then I got depressed and had a bit of a cry.
http://31.media.tumblr.com/e6104fc28c866787eeb4eda7ac0f2b2e/tumblr_munjklOBFP1sq1hzao1_500.jpg

Damn you Watamote.
Mar 10, 2014 6:52 AM

Feb 2014
i get depressed when my favorite male protagonist gets netorared in a hentai :P

Mar 10, 2014 7:05 AM
Jan 2014
stealthdasher said:
Clannad After Story didn't do shit for me, I didn't get the 'feels' that everyone else supposedly got. I guess shows with excessive melodrama and tragic events don't affect me.

A show that did affect me however was Watamote. Yeah sure as a comedy show it was funny at first but then several episodes into the show it got sad and I felt sorry for the protagonist Tomoko. Then came the realisation that I had just as much of a shitty High school life as Tomoko did and how much I could relate to her. Then I got depressed and had a bit of a cry.
http://31.media.tumblr.com/e6104fc28c866787eeb4eda7ac0f2b2e/tumblr_munjklOBFP1sq1hzao1_500.jpg

Damn you Watamote.

How? Are you not human? How did Clannad: AS not affect you? I turned into a crying baby! It was so sad!
Mar 10, 2014 7:12 AM

Sep 2012
VirtusSignum said:

How? Are you not human? How did Clannad: AS not affect you? I turned into a crying baby! It was so sad!
1. Didn't watch the first season so he didn't get attached to the characters

2. If you're overly critical then you'll find it hard to connect with the story, and considering he used the words "excessive melodrama," that's probably it.

3. Heart of a brick

4. Any combination of the above.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Mar 10, 2014 7:13 AM

Sep 2012
tsudecimo said:
Watch Texhnolyze, then we will talk.
Mar 10, 2014 7:14 AM

Jun 2009
watch the following for good feels

Tamayura
Aria
Non Non Biyori
Minami-ke

Particularly Tamayura and Aria, they can make you see the world a bit more beautiful.
AirStylesMar 10, 2014 7:27 AM
Mar 10, 2014 7:32 AM

Feb 2014
Korrvo said:
1. Didn't watch the first season so he didn't get attached to the characters.

Did watch the first season to try to 'connect' with characters. Even though it didn't make me depressed or cry Clannad is still one of my favourite anime.

Watamote on the other hand.
http://images.wikia.com/meme/images/archive/9/91/20110826191843!4char-forever-alone-guy-high-resolution.png
Mar 10, 2014 7:34 AM

May 2012
The shows you listed aren't depressing at all.
Mar 10, 2014 7:34 AM

Sep 2012
stealthdasher said:
Korrvo said:
1. Didn't watch the first season so he didn't get attached to the characters.

Did watch the first season to try to 'connect' with characters. Even though it didn't make me depressed or cry Clannad is still one of my favourite anime.
waht

Who the fuck makes it sound like they are bashing an anime on one the best things about it when it's actually one of their favorites?
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Mar 10, 2014 7:37 AM

Jul 2012
I feel i
Motherurck said:
mitch3315 said:

The last few episodes of season 2 are some of the saddest things ever in K-on
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Anime characters you find attractive that many people won't agree with

IssyBoy - Apr 13

38 by Maou_heika »»
30 seconds ago

» thoughts on Chinese anime? ( 1 2 3 4 )

ryo-san - Mar 6, 2022

190 by ColourWheel »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Which season of Vinland Saga do you guys prefer?

MillerEvans23 - 4 hours ago

22 by MillerEvans23 »»
17 minutes ago

» Do you update the rating of anime you've already finished before? Is it an upgrade or downgrade usually?

Rinrinka - Apr 14

31 by 5hadow17 »»
19 minutes ago

» What percentage of anime that you've seen did you pirate? ( 1 2 3 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 13

125 by ColourWheel »»
39 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.