Forum Settings
Forums

Does anyone here ever feel embarrassed when you look at other anime fans?

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Mar 10, 2014 10:06 AM

Feb 2013
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Yeah, kinda a lot, but mostly on MAL. Emberassed is probably the wrong word, I just don't like a lot of attitudes present on MAL. Starting with the lack of a middleground between 'I like this' and 'This sucks' and all the casuals who have seen 20 series but call themselves otakus because they listen to JPop and do other weeaboo non-anime related things. I just don't get what all this has to do with being an anime fan, but whatever. Also the casuals who worship one or two anime series and pretend to be a fan of anime as a whole while considering Clannad to be an unpopular series that barely anyone knows. Let's just say I dislike people who oversell their passion because they think it's some kind of status symbol when they call themselves Otaku.
I also dislike fans who have no refllection on what they like, hating on a lot of shows that they should never even have checked out knowing what their taste is like. Like hating battle shounen but checking them out all the time and then ranting about genre-typical stuff every single time and making it seem like the series fault. It makes no sense to me.
I dislike people who dismiss ever attempt at critical analysis or discussion with the 'all is subjective. derp.' pretend-argument. I dislike the superficiality of all those 'Only post 2007' anime 'fans' who think old = ugly. I dislike people who enjoy generic harems but call Mushishi 'boring'.

I dislike a lot more, but it's mostly their attitudes and not what they like or don't like or know or don't know. You can't have everything. You can't call yourself a hardcore fan while barely having watched any anime and not having a clue about the industry or anything related. You can dislike abttle shounen, but when you actively seek them out just to rant about them you're pathetic. You don't need to be able to discuss anime in a critical way, but when you try to force your 'All is subjective and nothing matters' POV on me, I'll get pissed.
So I blame the internet more than the anime fandom. People can spout their ignorant views in this sea of anonymity without having to justify themselves. It's easy to be arrogant or an asshole on the internet and it may even get you a couple of laughs. I've rarely met the level of obnoxiousness that is present on MAL in RL anime fandom. Most people I met on conventions were nice, even the 200kg malecrossdressing cosplayers and so-called Narutards. Sure, it makes me a little bit sad to know that the fandom of over 50% of the people on the convention probably stops at Vocaloids or the Big 3, but people in RL are just nice instead of being anonymous assholes so it's easier to like them even with disagreements between us.

Yeah, but I wouldn't be surprised if those virtual world ass-holes end up being the same nice persons you meet IRL. In the end, most of the people act completely different when they are on net boards.
Aliis si licet, tibi non licet.
Mar 10, 2014 10:09 AM

Feb 2010
sherlock5545 said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Yeah, kinda a lot, but mostly on MAL. Emberassed is probably the wrong word, I just don't like a lot of attitudes present on MAL. Starting with the lack of a middleground between 'I like this' and 'This sucks' and all the casuals who have seen 20 series but call themselves otakus because they listen to JPop and do other weeaboo non-anime related things. I just don't get what all this has to do with being an anime fan, but whatever. Also the casuals who worship one or two anime series and pretend to be a fan of anime as a whole while considering Clannad to be an unpopular series that barely anyone knows. Let's just say I dislike people who oversell their passion because they think it's some kind of status symbol when they call themselves Otaku.
I also dislike fans who have no refllection on what they like, hating on a lot of shows that they should never even have checked out knowing what their taste is like. Like hating battle shounen but checking them out all the time and then ranting about genre-typical stuff every single time and making it seem like the series fault. It makes no sense to me.
I dislike people who dismiss ever attempt at critical analysis or discussion with the 'all is subjective. derp.' pretend-argument. I dislike the superficiality of all those 'Only post 2007' anime 'fans' who think old = ugly. I dislike people who enjoy generic harems but call Mushishi 'boring'.

I dislike a lot more, but it's mostly their attitudes and not what they like or don't like or know or don't know. You can't have everything. You can't call yourself a hardcore fan while barely having watched any anime and not having a clue about the industry or anything related. You can dislike abttle shounen, but when you actively seek them out just to rant about them you're pathetic. You don't need to be able to discuss anime in a critical way, but when you try to force your 'All is subjective and nothing matters' POV on me, I'll get pissed.
So I blame the internet more than the anime fandom. People can spout their ignorant views in this sea of anonymity without having to justify themselves. It's easy to be arrogant or an asshole on the internet and it may even get you a couple of laughs. I've rarely met the level of obnoxiousness that is present on MAL in RL anime fandom. Most people I met on conventions were nice, even the 200kg malecrossdressing cosplayers and so-called Narutards. Sure, it makes me a little bit sad to know that the fandom of over 50% of the people on the convention probably stops at Vocaloids or the Big 3, but people in RL are just nice instead of being anonymous assholes so it's easier to like them even with disagreements between us.

Yeah, but I wouldn't be surprised if those virtual world ass-holes end up being the same nice persons you meet IRL. In the end, most of the people act completely different when they are on net board.

Yeah I know, but as I see it if someone splits his personality like this it's okay to dislike one side and like the other.
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 10, 2014 10:20 AM

Jan 2012
what because i'm into anime now i have to learn about the history and know who this Osamu Tezuka guy is?!?! i failed history for a reason i think i will just keep watching anime and enjoying it.... nothing more nothing less! as for feeling embarrassed some people take it a little too far, but it doesn't affect me in any way shape or form, and if their happy... what does it matter if i get embarrassed they don't give a shit!
Mar 10, 2014 10:37 AM

May 2013
What Osama Tezuka did was forever ago, so I don't expect anyone to know him, and you shouldn't either. Hell, I didn't know who the hell he was up until a few weeks ago.

I guess I would facepalm though if an anime fan didn't know what Death Note was. I mean even non anime fans know what Death Note is.
Mar 10, 2014 10:45 AM

Feb 2010
I guess I just can't imagine how you wouldn't come across his name. I never actively researched anime history (or yes I did, but much later) but it didn't take me long to stumble upon Tezuka and his works. I don't even remember when, where or how I got to know about him first so I always thought it was natural to know about him if you have an interest in anime. Heck, this was years before I joined MAL when I still hadn't watch very many anime myself and it still felt unavoidable to stumble upon his name sooner rather than later. So I'm more puzzled than anything that barely anyone here seems to know him.
Even non-anime fans know about Tezuka too :P
Mar 10, 2014 10:48 AM

Nov 2010
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
I guess I just can't imagine how you wouldn't come across his name. I never actively researched anime history (or yes I did, but much later) but it didn't take me long to stumble upon Tezuka and his works. I don't even remember when, where or how I got to know about him first so I always thought it was natural to know about him if you have an interest in anime. Heck, this was years before I joined MAL when I still hadn't watch very many anime myself and it still felt unavoidable to stumble upon his name sooner rather than later. So I'm more puzzled than anything that barely anyone here seems to know him.
I watched anime for like 5 or 6 years(about 500 anime watched) before seriously going on MAL and the only thing I looked up was what OVA and ONA stand for. Hadn't heard of him until much later.
Let me guess, manga fans?
Mar 10, 2014 10:57 AM

Feb 2010
IntroverTurtle said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
I watched anime for like 5 or 6 years(about 500 anime watched) before seriously going on MAL and the only thing I looked up was what OVA and ONA stand for. Hadn't heard of him until much later.

Well, I did start out as a manga fan for some years before anime took over, I probably got to know about him along those lines. Though I think I faintly remember that Astro Boy was the reason I looked him up. Or maybe Pluto?
I hate my brain/memory :(
Mar 10, 2014 11:35 AM
Jul 2018
Nope. People have the right to act how they want, they just have to live with the consequences of those actions. It's in my nature to accept people if I can, and anime fans are no different.
Mar 10, 2014 12:05 PM

Nov 2011
magmalord said:
BlackSabatoge, I agree with you completely, most anime fans are a bunch of autists. They don't know shit about anime and manga because they watch all the popular and well known stuff instead of looking for what looks intresting to them. Doing that really shows there is more subject matter to anime than meets the eye. Whenever I also find out than fans draw they always end up drawing anime shit. Please, find your own style, people, and learn anatomy and proportions.
Kinda wish I stayed on to read this. It just saddens me because a lot of people seem to suggest anime is something important to them yet they reject the past and have no interest in the history of anime. Some flat out reject anything thats not being talked about by everyone.
Mar 10, 2014 12:07 PM

Nov 2011
shintai88 said:
I get what you mean BlackSabotage. But whats the point of worrying about it all.
Theres always going to be people who get caught up in a craze and think they know more then anyone else. No different then any other fan boy out there.
True but the issue is more or less that they have no interest in learning more. Call me a nerd but I like to treat anime as an art not just an empty form of entertainment.
Mar 10, 2014 12:14 PM

Jan 2014
If I got a dollar for every fandom I'm a part of that's embarrassing, I'd be Bill Gates.

Seriously though, it really doesn't bother me. As long as it's something I enjoy, I don't really care what stereotypes are associated with it.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Mar 10, 2014 12:37 PM

Nov 2013
I'm definitely not a pro at anime. I don't try and act like an ass thinking I know more than I do.
I'm not bothered or influenced by others so I don't care what they do. They can act as they want.

I can see you

Mar 10, 2014 1:11 PM

Nov 2011
IntroverTurtle said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Why do you hate old anime and manga so much? Its like you feel malice towards the past.
Mar 10, 2014 1:14 PM

Nov 2011
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

Well, I did start out as a manga fan for some years before anime took over, I probably got to know about him along those lines. Though I think I faintly remember that Astro Boy was the reason I looked him up. Or maybe Pluto?
I hate my brain/memory :(
Its simply really easy to stumble upon him. I guess I'm just an oddball because I see anime and manga as artforms and not just throw away entertainment. I find the different styles of legendary mangaka very intriguing.
Mar 10, 2014 2:01 PM

Nov 2010
BlackSabotage said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Why do you hate old anime and manga so much? Its like you feel malice towards the past.
Are you an idiot? Where in my post did I say anything about older anime? I said I never looked up anything about anime, as in directors, stuidos, etc. All I looked up was the basic terminology because that was relevant to my current watching experience. I never said anything about what I watched or liked.

BTW I actually have a list that I keep updated. That shows what anime I did or did not like. Before spouting shit, research.
IntroverTurtleMar 10, 2014 2:05 PM
Mar 10, 2014 2:07 PM

Nov 2011
IntroverTurtle said:
BlackSabotage said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Are you an idiot? Where in my post did I say anything about older anime? I said I never looked up anything about anime, as in directors, stuidos, etc. All I looked up was the basic terminology because that was relevant to my current watching experience. I never said anything about what I watched or liked.
I was going based on previous posts I've seen you make. You seem to despise older anime as well as manga. You seem to be somewhat of a modern anime elitist. I understand preferences but I can't help bit feel your offended by the idea of someone preferring the old stuff like Ashita no Joe and Future Boy Conan over Naruto and One Piece.
Mar 10, 2014 2:16 PM

Jan 2014
I feel the same way for almost every fandom I'm a part of, except for anime. I guess I just haven't seen enough of the fandom yet.
  ▲
▲ ▲

Newfags can't triforce.
Mar 10, 2014 2:24 PM

Nov 2010
BlackSabotage said:
IntroverTurtle said:
BlackSabotage said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
I was going based on previous posts I've seen you make. You seem to despise older anime as well as manga. You seem to be somewhat of a modern anime elitist. I understand preferences but I can't help bit feel your offended by the idea of someone preferring the old stuff like Ashita no Joe and Future Boy Conan over Naruto and One Piece.
So you quoted my current post to not talk about my current post but to instead bring up something something that you think I said. Once again, look at my list before you spout shit. I think I have the answer to my first question. Not that I didn't already know though.
Mar 10, 2014 2:27 PM

Mar 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
BlackSabotage said:
IntroverTurtle said:
BlackSabotage said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
So you quoted my current post to not talk about my current post but to instead bring up something something that you think I said. Once again, look at my list before you spout shit. I think I have the answer to my first question. Not that I didn't already know though.
Too much win-win logic.
Happy Halloween
Mar 10, 2014 2:32 PM

Sep 2013
This thread sure got a large number of posts in a short time. I suppose flame wars have helped to get it going. I'll quickly interrupt with a few observations.

Embarrassing fandoms are nothing new. Back in the 1940s, Frank Sinatra was regularly mobbed by herds of squealing fangirls (and if I had been around then - and a teenager - I might well have been one of them). In the 1950s, Elvis Presley attracted obsessive fans, and his fan base has grown ever more embarrassing over the years. In the 1960s, the Beatles took over as the focal point for squealing fangirls and other assorted weirdos. For a long time now, Star Trek and Doctor Who have attracted numerous fans, some of whom go way overboard. Two decades ago, I often heard horror stories about a bad group of Star Trek weeaboos from a friend who had occasional contact with them. These were people who spoke broken Klingon in public and took their role playing far too seriously.

Lately, I've been spending some of my spare time reading weeaboo horror stories on the web. I'm sure some of the stories are fake or exaggerated, but if even a third of them are accurate, then anime certainly has its share of embarrassing and creepy fans. I've never been to their natural habitat - a convention - and the stories I have heard make me reluctant to go to one. However, it would be interesting to observe the convention scene as long as I can avoid having someone weeb all over me.

Even though portions of the fan base are embarrassing, creepy, or even dangerous, most fans are fine. The problem is that the bad ones get all the attention. We should feel free to enjoy whatever we want without worrying too much about the crazy people our hobbies attract, and we should try to mitigate whatever obsessive or weebish tendencies start to grow within us so that we don't add to the problem.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Mar 10, 2014 2:39 PM

Aug 2009
BlackSabotage said:
Do you ever look at other anime fans think to yourself damn why do all my fellow anime fans make jackasses of themselves? I hate the obnoxious attitude most (I said most not all) anime fans seem to have like for instance several people have tried to bite my head off for referring to anime and manga as cartoons and Japanese comics. Also it seems like most anime fans seem to claim there hardcore fans yet they dont even know who Osamu Tezuka is. Also I feel embarrassed sometimes when I come here and look at all the topics and posts. Sorry but a lot of you guys have a knack for mocking people because they made what you think is a stupid topic yet you'll go around and engage in ridiculous debates on even dumber topics.

Sorry I love anime and manga but I kinda dont want to be grouped in the anime fanbase. Anyway please proceed to post sarcastic posts and simple minded insults just because your a tool and cant help yourself.

My niece has this problem with kids at her school. The weeaboos in her school wear stupid costumes and bastardize Japanese words in with English to a point that she is embarrassed to admit she likes anime because she doesn't want to be lumped in with those retards.
Mar 10, 2014 3:28 PM

Jan 2014
I went once to an animu convention. I was vexed.
Mar 10, 2014 4:09 PM

Feb 2014
I feel embarrassed FOR some of my fellow SAO fans who worship the thing despite its flaws. On the other hand, I feel the same to some people who say its as bad as Mars of Destruction *Shudders*
"I am Valentinez Alkalinelia Xifax Sicidabohertz Gumbigobillo Blue Stradivari Talentrent Pierre Andri Charton-Haymoss Ivanovicci Baldeus George Doitzel Kaiser. Don't hesitate to call."

Mar 10, 2014 4:12 PM

Sep 2013
Yes. Specifically when I glance at headband-wearing narutards
Mar 10, 2014 4:48 PM

Sep 2012
I feel embarrassed when I look at anime fans that constantly whine about the most simplistic shit.
Mar 10, 2014 5:53 PM

Jul 2012
tl;dr thread, not OG post

yes, very. almost humiliating
Mar 10, 2014 6:02 PM

Nov 2013
There are tools in any sizeable group of people.
Mar 10, 2014 6:05 PM

Jun 2011
Radioskpup said:
There are tools in any sizeable group of people.

'tis the sad truth, tools are no fun.

Mar 10, 2014 6:08 PM

Sep 2012
I feel embarrassed at anime fans when they feed the typical anti-social/socially-handicapped nerd stereotypes.

I also feel embarrassed when I see anime fans arguing for shit when they either have their jimmies so rustled they become incredibly blind, which you could call "fanboy mode" like I do, or have no idea what they are talking about, though that goes for anything and everything, not just anime.

And..

Aqua_Mars said:
I feel embarrassed when I look at anime fans that constantly whine about the most simplistic shit.
^
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Mar 10, 2014 6:30 PM

Aug 2013
@blacksabotage
As you look down on these current day anime fans who only like "new anime shit", others are looking down on you for devoting yourself too much to the "old time" anime.

Mar 10, 2014 6:49 PM

Jul 2012
kami_desu said:
@blacksabotage
As you look down on these current day anime fans who only like "new anime shit", others are looking down on you for devoting yourself too much to the "old time" anime.

bs - black is a very objective force on this board. i have been surprised by him many times, and i respect him. i don't think that insult was called for AT ALL

he has history? yah. whats wrong with that? i never see him taking a high ground like newbies are shit
Mar 10, 2014 7:00 PM

Jan 2013
daintybiscuit said:
kami_desu said:
@blacksabotage

bs - black is a very objective force on this board. i have been surprised by him many times, and i respect him. i don't think that insult was called for AT ALL

he has history? yah. whats wrong with that? i never see him taking a high ground like newbies are shit

Except that he has been rather dogmatic in this thread by saying people aren't allowed to call themselves "hardcore" fans if they don't know the name of the guy who came up with Astro Boy.

Maybe he doesn't intend to come off as taking on a higher ground in this thread, but he certainly does in my eyes.
Mar 10, 2014 7:06 PM

Feb 2010
InfernCup said:
daintybiscuit said:
kami_desu said:
@blacksabotage

Except that he has been rather dogmatic in this thread by saying people aren't allowed to call themselves "hardcore" fans if they don't know the name of the guy who came up with Astro Boy.

Maybe he doesn't intend to come off as taking on a higher ground in this thread, but he certainly does in my eyes.

'hardcore' is a pretty strong term so what's wrong with expecting some level of dedication to the object of the fandom? And why is it such a privilege to call oneself a 'hardcore' fan that it warrants getting offended over it when someone suggests criteria for it?
Mar 10, 2014 7:12 PM

Jan 2013
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
InfernCup said:
daintybiscuit said:
kami_desu said:
@blacksabotage

'hardcore' is a pretty strong term so what's wrong with expecting some level of dedication to the object of the fandom? And why is it such a privilege to call oneself a 'hardcore' fan that it warrants getting offended over it when someone suggests criteria for it?

I'm fine if he thinks there should be criteria for it, I just don't really like how he comes off as acting as if he's on some pedestal. Like I said in my previous post maybe he doesn't intend to come off in that sort of manner, but it's just how I see it from my perspective.
Mar 10, 2014 7:20 PM

Jun 2012
In calling yourself an "Anime fan" you've done no more than attach a frivolous label to yourself with the expectation that you adhere to all of the stereotypical characteristics of "Anime fans".

The "Anime fandom" aswell as brony fandom and any other to categorize themselves should be looked on with commiseration if anything.

I've yet to put a dent in Tezuka's works myself, having only read Black Jack and Adolf myself but he is quite the iconic figure regardless of the abundance of potentially forgettable Manga.

BlackSabotage said:
Sorry but a lot of you guys have a knack for mocking people because they made what you think is a stupid topic yet you'll go around and engage in ridiculous debates on even dumber topics.
And yet the "do you like lolis" or "are you a pervert" topics go unscathed.
Mar 10, 2014 7:23 PM

Jul 2012
don't disrespect knowledge b/c it has power. black is the real deal and we are ALL better off listening to him
Mar 10, 2014 7:28 PM

Jan 2013
daintybiscuit said:
don't disrespect knowledge b/c it has power. black is the real deal and we are ALL better off listening to him
U. plz stop worshiping him like he is the next Jesus, i probably know more than that guy about anime so plz stop.

OT: One of my good pals is an anime fan and he is a pretty cool guy, a little loud but cool. I have seen some guys who jst look like they dont care about how they look or smell for that matter. These guys give the anime fanbase a bad rep and ofc all the naruto fanboys wearing the headbands everywhere they go doesnt help much either.
Mar 10, 2014 7:32 PM

Jul 2012
Major123 said:
daintybiscuit said:
U. plz stop worshiping him like he is the next Jesus, i probably know more than that guy about anime so plz stop.

OT: One of my good pals is an anime fan and he is a pretty cool guy, a little loud but cool. I have seen some guys who jst look like they dont care about how they look or smell for that matter. These guys give the anime fanbase a bad rep and ofc all the naruto fanboys wearing the headbands everywhere they go doesnt help much either.

i am sincerely not even sure what you wrote. i don't need to get on anyone's cock b/c i know when i see the read deal
Mar 10, 2014 7:34 PM
Jul 2013
Does anyone remember the deranged Naruto fans that were obsessed with Itachi Uchiha? No fucking joke. There was even a suicide over his
The kid should have lived long enough to see what happened later in the series...
Mar 10, 2014 7:41 PM

Nov 2013
Forgetfulness said:
Sung-Hwan said:
Does anyone remember the deranged Naruto fans that were obsessed with Itachi Uchiha? No fucking joke. There was even a suicide over his
The kid should have lived long enough to see what happened later in the series...
Mar 10, 2014 7:52 PM
Jul 2013
Radioskpup said:
Forgetfulness said:
Sung-Hwan said:

Maybe he would have found new reasons to live through Itachi's redemption?
Mar 10, 2014 8:17 PM

Dec 2012
Sung-Hwan said:

Hey if that kid's lucky, another equally deranged fan will perform a reanimation jutsu on him. (Maybe I'll go to hell for that, couldn't resist)
Mar 10, 2014 8:20 PM
Nov 2008
I remember some kid killing himself because Naruto died in a movie. Like, he didn't even finish watching the film - he just jumped out the window then and there.
Mar 10, 2014 8:23 PM
Jul 2013
Heredity said:
I remember some kid killing himself because Naruto died in a movie. Like, he didn't even finish watching the film - he just jumped out the window then and there.

Are most Naruto fans just ill? This is kind of depressing.
Mar 10, 2014 8:25 PM
Nov 2008
Sung-Hwan said:
Heredity said:

They're like the chosen ones.
Mar 10, 2014 8:28 PM

Dec 2012
A lot of kids die because of cartoons. It's nothing new.
Mar 10, 2014 8:28 PM
Jul 2013
Heredity said:
Sung-Hwan said:
Heredity said:

They're like the chosen ones.

I remember that story. Wonder how the kid is living now knowing that he killed his friend over an anime...
Mar 10, 2014 8:31 PM

Jan 2014
Sung-Hwan said:

I didn't want to beleive that that story was actually true. I really wish I hadn't googled it so I could still write it off as an urban legend.
"I feel you! I feel you deeply! Your feeling I can feel deeply!" -The Jojo DUWANG scan, The greatest scanlation in human history.
Mar 10, 2014 8:33 PM
Jul 2013
Honestly with these deaths related to Naruto sort of remind me of Sonic the Hedgehog fans.

I'm sure gamers know where I'm coming from with that.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - 6 hours ago

12 by EastIndiaCompany »»
6 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

203 by Coaghim »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » How do you watch anime?

RobertBobert - Yesterday

25 by Atashi_Agatha »»
19 minutes ago

» Do you watch anything else besides anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 21

83 by Atashi_Agatha »»
21 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

65 by Atashi_Agatha »»
27 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.