Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Monogatari Series: First Season
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
May 8, 2013 1:59 AM

May 2012
EternalDreamer said:
Guess you either love or hate how this looks visually.. I for one absolutely hate it..

The fighting scene was just annoying if you ask me, visually appalling to the eyes with the bad drawing and mix mashed colours.. didn't like it at all.

I wouldn't go as far as to say visually appalling but yeah, I also would've preferred it if it had just been done regularly.

Anyway, this is my favorite arc so far. I mean yeah, it had it's boring moments but overall it kept me more interested than the others and actually gave a sense of danger. Hopefully the next one will be even better.
May 25, 2013 7:23 AM

Feb 2013
That was an epic fight scene.

Oshino is really clever; outsmarting the devil itself.

"And if, there were so many people in the world, there had to be someone living an interesting life that wasn't ordinary. I was sure of it. Why wasn't that person me?"
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part V
[/center]
Jun 4, 2013 8:16 AM

Nov 2012
its kinda boring when seeing kanbaru beating araragi.. the blood is not really that real.. :/
Jul 2, 2013 10:06 PM

Oct 2012
Another great episode.
Jul 4, 2013 6:47 PM

Sep 2011
This episode never fails to make me want to burst into tears. It's so easy to relate to for me. Nothing and I mean NOTHING is worse than the feelings that Kanbaru went through.

And for all those people who seem to hate her... why? Like have any of you ever gone through that situation? It's a horrible feeling. :/
~Izzy Zazztacular~
Jul 5, 2013 8:14 AM

Apr 2012
I LOVE the visual style of this anime, the fight scene was beautiful! And I liked Kanbaru too -- she's obviously not a perfect person but no way I could bring myself to hate her, I think a lot of us have had those feelings (even if we didn't, uh, actually try to murder someone). I'm glad things seemed to have worked out for her.
Jul 13, 2013 4:55 PM

Apr 2013
Well this episode was damn good. And Araragi got his ass whipped pretty well :P

So this arch has come to end and i'm looking forward to the next one.
Jul 16, 2013 10:24 PM

Jan 2013
Nice violence and animation
Jul 19, 2013 9:15 PM

Nov 2012
The beatdown scene was done skillfully. That was something I found complimentary about this episode. Hopefully, the sisters will be thoroughly introduced sometime soon.
Jul 24, 2013 2:46 PM

Apr 2013
favorite episode so far LOL. jizzed at the music and fighting animation lmao. reeally sounded like monkeys were instigating the fight lol, even though its the rainy devil or whatever lol. c:
Aug 4, 2013 1:44 PM

Jun 2011
The fight scene was amazing :O

Fave arc so far!
Aug 13, 2013 11:42 PM

Dec 2012
wow I just loved this ep, probably my favorite one so far... that fight scene made me cringe, I love gore though. That would be so painful to be Araragi.
Sep 9, 2013 11:37 AM

Apr 2012
This seems to get better and better. shame it's so short.
Sep 24, 2013 2:19 AM

Nov 2009
Psychological and supernatural are amongst my favorite genres. I like a good yandere character and I appreciate well made artwork. I thought I would have really enjoyed this series but for some reason I'm not. Can anyone else relate to this? I find the dialogue awfully quick making it difficult to read and absorb the subtitles. The actual dialogue itself seems often whacky and random. I'm having difficulty relating to the characters. I really wish they made an English dub for this. I give credit where credit is due. This series looks beautiful and I like the concept. Unfortunately it just seems like something has gotten lost in the translation. I'm considering doing a course in Japanese language next year so maybe I should come back to this then. At the moment it feels more like a chore than a joy to watch. Please, tell me someone else is having the same problem? XD
Bles-Sep 24, 2013 3:07 AM
Sep 24, 2013 4:37 AM

Jun 2013
Ayanami17 said:
Psychological and supernatural are amongst my favorite genres. I like a good yandere character and I appreciate well made artwork. I thought I would have really enjoyed this series but for some reason I'm not. Can anyone else relate to this? I find the dialogue awfully quick making it difficult to read and absorb the subtitles. The actual dialogue itself seems often whacky and random. I'm having difficulty relating to the characters. I really wish they made an English dub for this. I give credit where credit is due. This series looks beautiful and I like the concept. Unfortunately it just seems like something has gotten lost in the translation. I'm considering doing a course in Japanese language next year so maybe I should come back to this then. At the moment it feels more like a chore than a joy to watch. Please, tell me someone else is having the same problem? XD

Well... It's not a show for anyone. To relate to the characters in the first place, you might actually want to know how the series treats it's characters... So. Even though it may seem like attention seeking, I'll just leave you a link to my blog on the subject. Posting the explanation whole would definitely be too long for a forum post. I do prefer my own blogsite, but it can be found from my profile also.

In it I try to explain WHY the series is how it is, and to my own credit I think I do explain it quite clearly. It is quite long, but at least you can skip the middle part where I go spoilers.

Here you go...
SyntriateSep 24, 2013 4:43 AM
Sep 27, 2013 12:00 AM

Nov 2009
@Syntriate
Thanks! That did help. Never thought of it that way before. I'll try watching it with a different perspective now.
Oct 18, 2013 8:26 PM
Sep 2013
The first half of the episode was quite boring... The fight and the ending were pretty great though.

Didn't really liked that arc and it made me noticed that the style of the show falls flat with ordinary characters. (that sport girl was so boring)
Nov 15, 2013 9:17 PM

Sep 2008
Pretty good end to this arc. The fight scene was quite well done but I think I would've preferred it if they coloured the blood red.

Apparently the OPs used in the bluray version I'm watching are different to the tv version since they've been using this OP for the past 3 episodes already while the tv version only ever used it in this one episode.
Dec 20, 2013 12:21 AM

Oct 2013
kanbura such a troll, intended to hurt him all along.

oshino boss mode knew he had to call senjougahara anyway
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Dec 27, 2013 6:22 AM

Oct 2013
lol, friendzoned.
Dec 28, 2013 7:14 PM

Aug 2013
Sugura lies were pretty fucked up. Wanting someone dead because he's the boyfriend of your love...

The fight was badass, brutal and stylish, I loved the use of color.

Hitagi can be a good person, to forgive someone who tried to kill your boyfriend... Even for a psycho like her, it's a cute act.

Oshino is still illuminated as always. Shinobu is intriguing.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Jan 3, 2014 4:03 AM

Oct 2008
So let me get this straight, Kanbaru's mom wanted her daughter to work hard with her own strength.. and so she gave her a devil's hand that grants wishes and eats her soul? That logic is pretty retarded.
And looks like Araragi is building his own harem now.
Jan 16, 2014 11:29 PM
Jan 2014
5layer said:
Pretty good end to this arc. The fight scene was quite well done but I think I would've preferred it if they coloured the blood red.

Apparently the OPs used in the bluray version I'm watching are different to the tv version since they've been using this OP for the past 3 episodes already while the tv version only ever used it in this one episode.

SHAFT is known for poor schedule and fix them up in up coming DVDs.
Jan 29, 2014 5:00 AM

Jul 2013
"You are so kind, Araragi. To such an extent that it irritates me." yeah I feel the same

well I do not like this arc that much...
Feb 23, 2014 12:31 AM

Sep 2013
PrimeX said:
"You are so kind, Araragi. To such an extent that it irritates me." yeah I feel the same

well I do not like this arc that much...

yea it was alright, but not better than the previous episodes. hopefully the nadeko snake arc or w/e is better. still loved it all though.
wow
Feb 27, 2014 8:53 AM

Jan 2013
I wish Oshino was in more episodes, he's kind of a badass.
Mar 3, 2014 12:35 PM

Apr 2013
Wow O.o

Araragi got destroyed... Realizing a little too late that it wasn't just the Devil's Arm that wants him dead. What an epic beatdown! and the colors! So awesome!

Good thing Oshino pinged Senjougahara. Man, she was pissed that he lied, but seeing as he probably did feel the pain of 10,000 deaths, she can call it even, lol. I can see her truly anxious and concerned for him despite the front.

Love this series... Now I need to really up my Japanese so I can catch all the wordplay that the author throws in (and read the light novels)... Just gimme a few more years, haha
Mar 10, 2014 1:10 AM
Jan 2014
wow i didn't think that they would beat each other up so brutal. better than expected >:)
gets better with every episode imo!
May 10, 2014 11:29 AM

Mar 2014
It has almost nothing to do with vampires o_O why is it in the gender list???
Jun 1, 2014 12:25 AM

Mar 2014
So What she is now... is because of the Wishes She Wish on the arm!!
She could jump high enough to dunk on the ring!! (so much jumping power !!)
Well.. that flashback was horrible !! (for suruga !!)
The Monkey's paw!! (it has some very bad history.)
True Intentions!!
The Important event begins!! Araragi vs Rainy Devil!!
Araragi is getting beaten so badly that I can imagine that he is experiencing living hell!!
So much gore shit... Blood and intestines everywhere!! (censoring is a good reason.)
He got his intestine pulled like a tight rope ... damn so much for the slaughter scene.
Oshino as Araragi said about you being a magnificent bastard.. I think I might agree with that.
Well.. the problem was solved in a "Peace after the typhoon" way.. That's nice of you hitagi!!!
Suruga monkey ends..
Nice Ending!!!
Good episode!!! (just near the ending..)
Now , Back to the peaceful days without Oddities intercepting :D
OP was good.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 5, 2014 11:24 AM

May 2014
Hitagi was so good at making Suruga give up.

Araragi ... that must've hurt. I like the idea for coloring the blood in different colors but seriously those damn text scenes ... it feels like censoring, and I hate censoring!!

Well I liked this arc. It was way easier to understand than the previous 2. Don't have criminal thoughts or you will turn ugly :P
Sep 18, 2014 2:09 PM
May 2013
I know why Araragi helped Suruga

I love that ending , Oshino is a great guy.
I forgot to mention this in the last episodes , but Tsundere-chan is more like a Yandere-chan .
Sep 30, 2014 1:55 PM

Oct 2012
So this time, Araragi only hastened the things that would happen anyway. Quite ironic.

But anyway, I'm not sure I like this arc overall even when there were some interesting conversations cause I found the way everything was handled in the end bit unsatisfactory from viewer's point of view.

At least we got some nice info on Shinobu.
Nov 30, 2014 12:24 PM

Aug 2014
This episode was cool. The magnitude of the fights were unexpected for this show but I like them. I thought it was interesting how Senjougahara said she would hate her if she killed Araragi which solved the problem by sort of setting up a counter-barrier to her Monkey-paw-inner-desire- thing....
Jan 27, 2015 10:24 AM
May 2014
Fight was cool with all those colors.
Shinobu appearance!
Decent episode.
Feb 11, 2015 2:08 PM

Dec 2013
My favorite arc in Bake. So good. And toughing at the end. :)
Mar 6, 2015 6:39 PM

Feb 2015
I really liked it except for that one scene at the end where Kanbaru used Araragi's intestines to swing him around the room. I got light headed and almost fainted, I had to lay flat on my bed for about 10 minutes before I had the strength to stand back up again. I'm weak when it comes to organs. I took a dissection class once upon a time, and I threw up both days I attended. One day I cut a gaping slash in my finger, and a ton of blood came out and down my arm. I thought I could handle it but the next thing I know, my face became pale and I started to faint. This particular episode almost made me throw up and faint at the same time. I'll definatly keep watching the series because it's really good, but I can't handle stuff like that. Next time I watch this episode, I'll skip to the scene when Senjougahara steps in.
Mar 6, 2015 6:43 PM

Feb 2015
BlueWolf125 said:
I wish Oshino was in more episodes, he's kind of a badass.
Jun 18, 2015 8:23 AM

May 2014
Wow that battle was pretty epic ... this show is so odd in soon many ways ! xD
I mean one minute it's like a Slice of Life, the other it's like a gore/psychological anime ....

This ark was good ! But the next one seems less better though ...

Anyway can we talk about that amazing Yuri feels at the end of that ep ? I mean I almost thought that she would have kiss her (you know how playful Senjougahara can be)
Jul 6, 2015 9:02 AM

Jul 2014
2/5

tsundereharasser said:
And one of the hottest pedo scene I've ever seen. Shinobu kawaiii!

What.
D-ohnutsAug 10, 2015 12:09 PM
Jul 24, 2015 6:52 PM

Jul 2015
Whoa, that got pretty violent! With how the rest of the show has been, I definitely didn't expect to see someone get a hole kicked through their torso and swung around by their intestines! Craziness!

I liked the arc well enough, and once again the best episodes continue to be the last of an arc. ✿ 5/5
Aug 10, 2015 7:11 AM

Nov 2013
Not bad, a bit of action is good, and that was great action, that was shocking and I didn't expect so much violence at all in Suruga arc.
And one of the hottest pedo scene I've ever seen. Shinobu kawaiii!
Aug 12, 2015 7:20 PM

Sep 2014
Breaking Promises will have 100,000 deaths. Ep 8.

Plot: The Monkey Paw is a Rainy Devil that grants Kanbaru's true wishes. And she really wants to kill Araragi. Coincidently if he were to die, Kanbaru would be free of the Oddity. Good thing his friends and Girlfriend are smarter than he is.

CHaracter: We now see the bad parts of Araragi's character. He is so nice he would believe a sob story from someone who tried to kill him and even die to save them. And its not just his because of his body (for those who read Kizu), he would do it even when mortal.

Kanbaru despite being a pretty upbeat girl is still human. Thus capable of ugly emotion and desires.

Oshino is a Magnificent Bastard. Nuff said.

Hitagi is one to take promises seriously. She knows what Araragi is like so it may be more of a balancing act between her love of him and how is character is. Though I think he deserved the whole beatdown (yeah it was gruesome but hey, promises broken and dying for people wanting to kill you. Might warrant a reality check or so).

Animation/sound: The fight was the highlight of the ep. It was brutal, crazy, and from what one poster said awhile back, it is from Araragi's POV. THis is how he visualized the pain he was in and I can quite agree. After those many blows, things will seem yellow.

4/5. Quite good and even if I do kinda like Kanbaru...I don't know. I guess I'm too vindictive to say I liked the resolution.

I go where I wanna go, even if its into Oppai.
Oct 11, 2015 7:27 PM

May 2015
When Senjougahara was like, " Yeah... I don't really love you back." That moment was golden.
Dec 11, 2015 5:06 AM

May 2014
This is the best ep. so far in Bakemonogatari. The ep. were pretty good. The fight were amazing made, too bad it had so much censorship even in the blu-ray version. I never expected Senjougahara-sempai to show up. I actually thought he would survive through the Rainy Devils attack, but I overestimated this guy. Maybe at his full power he could kick the devils ass. Very smart thought of Meme-san to call Senjougahara and make her to get the Monkey paw go back to the spirit world.

What a nice emotional scene at the end. Poor Kanbaru to get rejected by her lover-senpai. Funny to see that she rejected her like that. Cool to see that they are still friends.

Excited for the next arc.
mangalicker94Dec 29, 2019 5:09 PM
Dec 11, 2015 5:57 AM

Aug 2014
Average/Ok Episode.
The only thing i really liked about it was the art style during that fight scene , this was really beautiful art .
Dec 29, 2015 9:47 PM

Aug 2014
Poor Araragi. I can't imagine how that would really hurt. Good thing Senjougahara came to the rescue.
sup
Dec 31, 2015 10:48 AM

Sep 2015
Omg, Araragi wouldn't survive there if it wasn't for Senjougahara show up o_o
Jan 12, 2016 3:40 AM

Mar 2015
Well Shinobu is getting more cameo roles everywhere.

Also Koyomi can't die right? So Senjougahara would never be a murderer :3

The fight is okay I guess, the gore and blood was censored a lot with multiple colors.

Mar 27, 2016 2:33 PM

Nov 2015
Good think I'm watching the BD version, so NO CENSORSHIP!!! =D

I got to watch the fight with rainbow colored blood. And actual blood too.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

loghneckbeard - Jun 25, 2010

518 by wimpis »»
Apr 21, 6:15 AM

» Renai Circulation ost

DexterDrubo - Apr 19

5 by hsayal »»
Apr 21, 1:07 AM

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Jul 17, 2009

357 by kagamiiin »»
Apr 19, 7:06 AM

» Watch Order 2024?

GoCrayzee - Jan 27

25 by HeshamJohnny »»
Apr 13, 8:40 PM

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Sep 4, 2009

275 by artemis-cr »»
Apr 2, 5:39 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.