11.3%
PC
30.0%
Other
2.5%
80 votes
Apr 15, 2007 9:40 PM

Apr 2007
So I really need some new games. I just played Resident Evil 4 for the millioneth time! (It's an awesome game don't get me wrong.)

By genre I'm in the mood for anything right now from RPG to Fighting Games. Btw, I don't have the Wii, PS3 or 360. ><

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Apr 15, 2007 9:50 PM

Oct 2006
The only recommendations I'm really good for are RPGs, but Xenosaga, Tales of the Abyss, FFXII and Valkyrie Profile are all worth checking out. The Kingdom Hearts and Grandia series are good too, and Okami is definitely worth checking out. And Shadow of the Colossus is a must-play if you haven't already.

Oh, and since this is an anime forum I have to recommend the Gungrave games. The gameplay is pretty repetitive (especially in the first one) but they're fun and very stylish. Definitely a good pick if you enjoyed Gungrave or Trigun. =P
KrelianApr 15, 2007 9:53 PM
Apr 15, 2007 9:56 PM

Apr 2007
Valkyrie Profile I hear is pretty good, FF12 I played and sucked so bad and the others I'll look into. Thankies :)

Apr 15, 2007 10:21 PM

Oct 2006
You didn't like FFXII? I was pretty impressed by how much it deviated from the standard Final Fantasy formula. I preferred the battle systems in FFVII and FFX, but I liked how the characters had some realistic motives and such.

Oh! If you don't mind outdated PS1 graphics, Xenogears is the best game I've ever played, hands down. The level of depth puts any other RPG I've played to shame - the only thing that comes even close is Xenosaga, if you count the entire series together.
Apr 15, 2007 10:27 PM

Feb 2007
Hey, why is there no xbox 360 or PS3 (not that those systems are particularly my choice, but still)..
And like, why is there GC?

Makes no sense..

I played Paper Mario today on my Wii, very fun!
Apr 16, 2007 4:37 AM

Apr 2007
If you want something challenging, play Dragon Warrior VII (i think it was VII).
It's an old game but its quite difficult and entertaining. The graphics suck but the gameplay compensates for everything. I spent about 120 hours on my first time through ...

this is what Emuparadise wrote about DW7

Dragon Warrior VII is arguably one of the longest RPG's ever created. Released by Enix on October 31st, 2001 this game was a very anticipated title by gamers worldwide. And deliver it did! Dragon Warrior VII was a successful marriage of elements of old school RPG's and a new style of gaming. With over 100 hours of gameplay divided into a number of Episodes, Dragon Warrior VII has the ability to truly captivate.

From a graphical standpoint, Enix didn't focus much on graphics. They made the graphics good enough to please your eyes but didn't concentrate on making Dragon Warrior VII a graphically impressive title. What they did however was make the title thoroughly engrossing. The smooth flowing dialogue with beautiful presentation is what makes Dragon Warrior VII stand out from the crowd. Your characters will always have something to say, about everything. You can even engage in conversation between battles!

There probably never has and never will be an RPG more hardcore than Dragon Warrior VII. You start your story from a fishing village on an island where you have a party of three, a prince called Keifer, Maribel the daughter of a wealthy shipwright and, the son of a local fisherman who you get to play and name. The game doesn't start with any momentum as such but as typical RPG tradition would have it, it's not long before magic ruins, time travel and saving the world become part of your agenda.

Dragon Warrior VII can be best described as a journey. It truly is expansive as far as it's story is concerned, but what is beautiful about it is that the game does not expect you to remember various vague bits of information to understand the story well. Dragon Warrior VII is independent of the other Dragon Warrior games in the sense that you need not have played the other titles to understand the story. So if you're a hardcore RPG fan, this is definitely a title worth checking out, Bon Voyage!
Apr 16, 2007 11:04 AM

Mar 2007
Get a GBA or a DS and get Golden Sun and Golden Sun: The Lost Age.
Best
Games
Ever.
Apr 16, 2007 1:13 PM
Feb 2005
Sobzob said:
Best
Games
Ever.

Price check on ebay for those ? lol, I might just pick em up, as my DS is lacking in entertainment quality since I beat FFIII and Children of Mana.
Apr 17, 2007 6:57 AM

Mar 2007
Koreth said:
Price check on ebay for those ? lol, I might just pick em up, as my DS is lacking in entertainment quality since I beat FFIII and Children of Mana.

Well, I bought them hecka years ago for GBA. So I guess they shouldn't go over 30$, or at least something around that. Maybe less.
Apr 17, 2007 7:45 AM

Dec 2006
Fighting -> Guilty Gear totally owns :-) (PS2)
Ninja Gaiden or Project Breakdown (if you have XBox)
I just can't go without Super Robot Wars Alpha 2,3 (PS2) ; or Zone of the Enders (again PS2)
Extermination (think that was the name.. from 2-3 years though) (PS2) - it's almost like resident evil ^_^ (cause you mentioned it)
Devil May Cry (you should've played that ?)

Many more but these are "classics" for me ;)

Apr 17, 2007 10:59 AM

Feb 2007
Since you have a ps2...

*The Grand Theft Auto series (especially San Andreas)
*Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance and Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence
*God of War I and II
*Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution
*Final Fantasy X and XII
*Suikoden III (one of my favorites is Suidoden II for Playstation One)
*Devil May Cry series
*Okami
*Dragon Quest VIII
*SOCOM III Combat Assault (only if you have the online adapter)
*ICO
*Shadow of the Collusus (Okami, ICO, and Shadow of the Collusus are really great artistic achievments)
*Viewtiful Joe I and II
*Kingdom Hearts I and II
*Tekken 5
*Bully
*Shin Megami Tensei series
*Disgea series

These are all non-sports games I have played and found thoroughly satisfying (for sports games I just pick up the newest versions from EA or Sega depending on which one is better).
tangellofelloApr 17, 2007 11:02 AM

Apr 18, 2007 9:29 AM

Apr 2007
Sorry about the poll I wasn't kinda rushing lol.

Interesting stuffs. I have or played a little of some games you guys mentioned and Xenosaga I feel bad that I never played it. T_T

Devil May Cry comes in a 3 game boxset now so I'll probably get that even though I hear the 2nd one sucks.

Guilty Gear is alright. >_>

What is Shadow Collusus about anyway?

GTA I wanted to played since Vice City but all that controversy stopped the production of the game someone said. Not too sure if thats true.

Oh and I made this post just to pass the time as I wait to get my Wii and PS3 sometime in the summer. ><

Apr 18, 2007 10:36 AM

Oct 2006
I haven't played much of it, but from what I can see Devil May Cry 2 is only bad in relation to the other games, and is actually pretty decent. Xenosaga 2 is the same way - it's a decent game, but not nearly as good as its counterparts.

Xenosaga is one of my favorite RPG series, after its predecessor Xenogears. Be prepared for a lot of dialogue and some long cutscenes though - it's heavy on the plot and character development. I consider that a good thing, but it's hard for people with short attention spans I suppose.

Shadow of the Colossus is a very strange game - its presentation is brilliant, the story is intriguing, and it's loads of fun, but all it really boils down to is a string of boss battles chained together by some horse-back riding (in order to track said bosses down). You never get new equipment or do any leveling up - it's just you, your trusty horse, a magical sword and a bow against giant beasts made of earth and stone. There's a lot of variety in the gameplay though, and the control system is very intuitive. Heh, I suppose the best way to describe it is with pictures, so try a google image search for shadow of the colossus.
Apr 18, 2007 10:44 AM

Feb 2007
Shadow of the Collusus is a fantastic adventure game.

heres a link

http://ps2.ign.com/objects/490/490849.html

Apr 18, 2007 10:53 AM
Feb 2005
I heard it's short, and really you only do one thing throughout the entire game... although, I did still hear that it's pretty fun anyway.

If I found it used for $20 or less, I'd probably have to buy it and try it.

(about Shadow of the Collosus)
Apr 18, 2007 12:21 PM

Oct 2006
It's fairly short if you aren't interested in trying the harder difficulties and time-attack modes to unlock some special equipment upgrades. You can beat it in a day or two easy. That said, it's also one of my most favorite PS2 games ever. The visuals and music are brilliant, and at times it has a really epic (a la Lord of the Rings) feel to it. On top of that, there really is a lot of variety - you're limited in the tools you have, but you're challenged to find new ways to use them. The Colossi always keep you on your toes too - just when you think they're all big humanoid things, you have to face one that swims or flies. When you think they're all big and slow, you come up against one that's small and fast. The concept is simple, but there's really a lot of variety there.
Apr 18, 2007 8:42 PM

Apr 2007
Well thanks to you guys I bough Shadow of the Collosus today! Can't wait to play it. :D

Apr 18, 2007 8:50 PM

Apr 2007
Yeah, Shadow of the Colossus is definitely worth the money. It's a great game. If for some reason you haven't played Twilight Princess yet, you should.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 18, 2007 9:13 PM

Apr 2007
I don't have Wii. :( And I don't wanna play it on Gamecube!

Apr 18, 2007 10:20 PM

Mar 2007
Twilight princess is teh bore ): Imo, the worst zelda game released so far.
I'd say, get a Snes and A linkt to the past. The best and most legendary zelda game of them all D: (No ocarina of time isn't that great either)
Apr 19, 2007 9:20 AM

Apr 2007
Really? I believe Ocarina of Time owned all. =P

Apr 19, 2007 9:56 AM

Apr 2007
PandaPuff said:

I have both versions and I prefer the GC, lol but that's just me. It seemed like more of an annoyance on Wii than anything, but whatever works. <_> I haven't been playing many videogames lately so I'm not much help.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 19, 2007 10:15 PM

Feb 2007
PandaPuff said:

Yeah, I don't think you should play it on GC...

and..
Sobzob said:
Twilight princess is teh bore ): Imo, the worst zelda game released so far.
I'd say, get a Snes and A linkt to the past. The best and most legendary zelda game of them all D: (No ocarina of time isn't that great either)

YOU DARE SAY OoT WASN'T THAT GREAT?!?!!??!?!?!?!??! *SHARPENS SWORD*
And TP was too easy, but it was fun.. I liked it!!
A Link to the Past is awesome.. I have it on my Wii! muahah
Apr 20, 2007 1:00 PM

Apr 2007
A Link to the Past is like ... 8 hours of gameplay? It's good but it ends too fast. My favourite zelda games are released on GBC, namely the oracle of Ages (and Seasons).
Medium difficulty, both took about a week to finish when i played for the first time . The Ocarina of Time is also worth playing, no bad comments from me...

//
just dug out an oldschool RPG called DarkEden. Im sooo in love with this game, ever since it was released...
AnduApr 22, 2007 11:18 AM
Apr 24, 2007 4:26 AM

Feb 2007
Why does no one ever mention Prince of Persia!?

Along with KH, GTA and all the other famous PS2 games, the POP games are awesome. Even Warrior Within was great, but boy, did i get tired if the Prince growling by the time i finished it.

Since i'm broke, i only play PS2 games. If i had more money, i would buy FFXII, Shadow of The Collusus and MGS2 and 3. *sigh* I wish the Valkrie and Xenosaga games came out in Australia...same for this Dragon Rider series. They sound awesome.
BlueYoshiJun 26, 2007 5:17 AM
Apr 25, 2007 4:48 AM

Apr 2007
recommend...hard, i won 200+ games, i'll try to make a short list though.

GCN: Eternal Darkness if you haven't.

PS2: Xenosaga Series: .Hack//G.U., Rogue Galaxy, Star Ocean 3

cant think of many xbox beyond Dead Rising and Halo. some pretty cool ones coming out soon though, like Mass Effect.
Apr 25, 2007 5:25 AM

Mar 2007
Sobzob said:
Best
Games
Ever.

if you get a GBA or DS obviously pokemon is where it's at.
Apr 25, 2007 9:24 AM
Apr 2007
You should try playin naruto shippuden narutimate accel
Apr 25, 2007 10:59 AM

Apr 2007
SasukeXiin said:

cant think of many xbox beyond Dead Rising and Halo. some pretty cool ones coming out soon though, like Mass Effect.

oh yes, GU is excellent. I want #2 so bad.
Apr 25, 2007 8:00 PM

Apr 2007
BlueYoshi said:
Why does no ever mention Prince of Persia!?

Along with KH, GTA and all the other famous PS2 games, the POP games are awesome. Even Warrior Within was great, but boy, did i get tired if the Prince growling by the time i finished it.

Since i'm broke, i only play PS2 games. If i had more money, i would buy FFXII, Shadow of The Collusus and MGS2 and 3. *sigh* I wish the Valkrie and Xenosaga games came out in Australia...same for this Dragon Rider series. They sound awesome.

I have PoP 1 and 2 and still trying to get the 3rd sometime soon. Those games were fun to play with the whole reverse/foward time stuff. =P

Neverender said:
SasukeXiin said:

Yesh, I'm planning to play the hack series over the summer. I've heard so much about it!

Apr 26, 2007 2:42 AM

Feb 2007
Metroid Prime Hunters is also awesome. ^.^
Apr 26, 2007 3:02 AM

Feb 2007
Zelda games
God of War
Supreme Commander
Counter Strike
Super Smash Bros
Kingdom Hearts
Fable
Gears of War
ur faec

Apr 26, 2007 3:16 AM

Apr 2007
PandaPuff said:
BlueYoshi said:

Neverender said:
SasukeXiin said:

Yesh, I'm planning to play the hack series over the summer. I've heard so much about it!

Please do. it's so much better than the other .hack games. Of course, You understand GU better if you watched .hack//roots since the game is a direct continuation of that. but dont fear, if you haven't, the game does get you caught up to speed. So watching the series isn't 100% necessary, but does help.
May 7, 2007 4:04 PM
May 2007
World of Warcraft

Warning: Game has been known to cause Immortality.
Jun 22, 2007 4:03 PM

Apr 2007
MGS for PS1.
逃げちゃ駄目だ。
Jun 22, 2007 4:33 PM
Jun 2007
i have only played upto majora's mask in zelda games but id have to say i cant really compare link to the past and ocarina of time, they are both great games with great music

my top 3

- zelda series (since i cant just name 1)
- xenosaga series
- starcraft
Jun 24, 2007 3:19 AM

Jun 2007
Even with all of the next-gen consoles, I'm still constantly going back to my PS2 since they're still releasing a ton of decent japanese RPGs. And they have all the music games too... BeatmaniaIIDX, Drummania, Pop'n, etc. :)
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mushushu&sclick=1]
このLOLICONどもめ !( ゚ д゚)
Jun 26, 2007 4:44 AM

Jun 2007
Jump! Ultimate star is a must have for DS if you can read japanese, even if you cant i still recommend it coz control is very easy to learn and wifi battles are just great
Jun 27, 2007 12:50 PM

Jun 2007
warcraft 3 for the pc, or guitar hero is always fun =D. if you havent played it i reccomend getting final fantasy tactics, its old from the ps1 but if you can find it, in my opinion, its the best game ever made =].

Jun 27, 2007 3:57 PM
Jun 2007
*Suikoden I &II (PSX)
Final Fantasy VII (PSX)
Final Fantasy VIII (PSX)
Xenogears (PSX)
Chrono Trigger (SNES)
Final Fantasy VI (SNES)
World of Warcraft (PC)
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura (PC)
Fallout I & II (PC)
Jun 27, 2007 5:02 PM

Jun 2007
you should totally get a wii and just DL the classics, cause god knows how hard it is to find a SNES game now adays
Jun 30, 2007 9:14 AM
Jun 2007
Well im going to get a little old school and say Lunar 2 and Medievil for the psx

Trevor (OP)
May 15, 2011 11:18 AM

Nov 2010
Portal and Portal 2 for Xbox and PC.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» Is MAL ever going to update it's UI?

Pineapplepirate - Dec 19, 2020

29 by Oofmastre9000 »»
1 hour ago

» Rate The Last Game You Finished. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Crzy_Minus - Apr 23, 2015

3719 by creepylurker »»
2 hours ago

» total games on your steam library

deg - Feb 22

49 by SwordBreaker36 »»
2 hours ago

» What is your favorite Elder Scrolls game?

Ex-Aid - 12 hours ago

2 by SwordBreaker36 »»
2 hours ago

» Do you guys enjoy fighting games? ( 1 2 )

Dumb - Feb 11

50 by Dumb »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.