Forum Settings
Forums

[Possible Spoilers] Most Overrated/Underrated Anime V. 2

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (195) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

Mar 8, 2014 2:29 PM

judals said:
D0FLAMINGO said:
judals said:
What's a meaningful death? Meaningful to what?

Meaningful in the same way Roger's death was meaninful, they impact the course of the story and characters in a huge way.

So the laws of the universe of one piece break the 4th wall to cater for the audience's/author's whims? If a character didn't impact the world, he's invincible and will forever roam the world?

So if, and bear with me, Pell failed to protect Alabasta and blew up anyway, he'd still be alive with us now? just because? That does not make much sense.

Except, he's still alive anyway, so even if there's some magical rule about this 'meaningful death', it's not very consistent anyway.

That is actually one of the few gripes I have with One Piece, but it doesn't mean I can't take it seriously because the characters are still obviously in danger.

It's obvious that Gon is going to survive till near the end of HxH, but that doesn't mean I don't feel a sense of danger in his current position even though I know he'll be fine after. That's just silly.
Even a minor character's death that has no overall bearing on the story can be built up with a sense of danger. I could care less if Octobro died, but that doesn't mean I don't understand that he is in danger. That will be a fault on the viewer's inability to grasp the situation rather than a fault with the series itself.

It basically becomes a confession that you are unable to employ a fairly trivial skill that most other people in the population can.
You may as well say that every series on the planet sucks because you know the good guys are going to win in the end.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
I conclude that this theme is in fact good!

Mar 8, 2014 2:33 PM

judals said:
SetsukoHara said:

It isn't the point, it's one aim of this arc.

SetsukoHara said:
The display of power was also the point of this arc.

Have some consistency, mate.

If I said "also" it's because it's not the only one, which is what I tried to stress out. It's definitely not the most important focus of this arc.
judals said:

because it was clearly there.

Then by all means, clarify.

I already did it in my previous posts, but you read what you want.
SetsukoHara said:
Luffy went way beyond his limit (hormones injection), fought one of his best friend (Coby), his grandfather. All those, were emotional scene that weren't there just to fangasm over a character.

Mar 8, 2014 2:36 PM

judals said:
jal90 said:
They don't fight for the same reasons, not even close. Although I would defend that Crocodile and Moriah do share some of their motivations and their backstory is probably quite alike as well.

Not talking designs here.

If you don't take designs into account no wonder how every villain is the same. Okay bye.

judals said:
Krieg wanted to take Baratie to return to GL, CC wanted Alabasta, if we phrase them it is very different, but how does it play out? They are most ultimately the big bad obstacle cliche. They just felt the same. What did Luffy want in EL? Beat Lucci and help robin. Arlong Park? Beat Arlong and help Nami. Beat boss x and proceed to the next level.

Krieg wanted to take Baratie because it was a treasure worth the fight, he is an old-styled pirate who's devoted to boarding and stealing treasures. Crocodile didn't want Alabasta (seriously, did you pay attention? He didn't care about the kingdom. He even planned to blow the whole capital city up).

Anyway, if you are talking about the plot structure, then talk about the plot structure. Not the personalities of the villains which are defined by their intentions, motivations and backstories.

judals said:
Like you said, if we analyse their motives, they are fairly different, but that hardly takes much of a role. This is a detail and details matter, but these are insufficient. It made for very shallow differences.

Shallow? You mean that you can't make a difference between Krieg and Arlong despite their backstories are radically different, and so are their attitudes? Or Crocodile and Moriah who as said may share a similar backstory but their answer was very different?

judals said:

That's some arbitrary logic; no, it doesn't make it bad writing by itself. The author wants to make deaths meaningful and sticks to this through the series, you can say that it makes the situations predictable, but don't treat the viewpoint as if it was fundamentally flawed or something.

What's a meaningful death? Meaningful to what?

Meaningful to the plot construction, to build the personal motivations of a character or to make changes in the structure of the world.

judals said:
And please don't use the argument "said revived character actually accomplished something after said revival". That can be used for anyone, and the writer could have written anyone else to do that job instead, seems like an excuse to justify the cheating of death.

I'm not using this argument simply because characters who are revived haven't actually accomplished something after that. Pell's survival didn't have consequences (you are maybe forgetting though that in this arc there are deaths, from secondary characters (the four priests or mr. 11) who don't play a role in the major events of the story but nevertheless are shown) for the story. He just survived. Same for the guys in Punk Hazard or Pagaya. I'm not a fan at all of these fake deaths but their purpose was to portray a moment of emotional shock for a certain character or group of characters.

judals said:
If he doesn't want to kill them, he should
1) not have made an action series

So action has to be followed by death because death is what defines action and... wait, no.

judals said:
2) not have hyped it to be a life or death situation
3) not have actually pretended to kill them

It's relevant for the moment though. Because it makes characters care for, get an emotional shock and force a response.

judals said:
If he didn't want 'non-meaningful deaths', then he should not have written said subplot in the first place. It's bad writing to just ccheat characters out of a death situation, let alone go through with it and then troll them back into the story.

Why is it bad writing? Next quote:

But then again it's a matter of, how it was called? Suspension of disbelief

That only works with good execution, moderate usage to keep us in disbelief, and no cheap tricks that utterly destroy it.

The issue you may have noticed with most false deaths in One Piece is that there are no cheap tricks, simply because there are no tricks, simply because there is no real explanation. I think it was Pagaya who appeared with a casual: "Hey, I just survived!". Then again, we didn't see him die either.

Bad writing? Some instances of it may be, but it is consistant writing. One of the things we learn about this series is that we can't confirm a death until it's directly shown to us.

Actually it's not that I disagree with your point here but you seem to defend it as if it was a mere default option and it isn't. The way Oda handles death follows clear purposes that can be understood, you can agree with them or not, they can work for you or not. I take back my argument on suspension of disbelief. Watching the soldiers of Punk Hazard "dying" in the global context of the series diminishes the emotional effect as these deaths are proved to be ineffective and in the end false, but trying to get into the specific mood that is set in them through the characters who perceive a feeling of danger and shock can make these scenes work. And both viewpoints are valid.

Mar 8, 2014 2:40 PM

You said 'the' but whatever floats your boat.

None of these felt well executed to me. I know a person, esp. A shonen mc would go above and beyond to save someone. What else?

Shikamaru didn't need emphasis on these, what he did most importantly how well it was done had more of an impact on me. He felt like he was struggling both physically and in trying to figure out how to deal with them, and then the all was fine and well, till it wasn't. Despair is a dynamic state, as Castor put it lol.

Jal90 I'll reply tomorrow. :-)
That's how I felt about it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Mar 8, 2014 2:41 PM

jal90 said:
I think it was Pagaya who appeared with a casual: "Hey, I just survived!". Then again, we didn't see him die either.

I think he gave an explanation, but I've never understood it. I was too busy laughing, and I'm sure it didn't make much sense, the guy was completely unharmed. LOL.

Mar 8, 2014 2:43 PM

Damn, my post is gone because of bad internet connectivity.
tsudecimo said:

That episode covered the blood bath chapter (604 and 605). It was nicely animated for the most part, you should check it, when you are bored or something. This ED is one of the reasons that made me like him. It's really emotional and one of my favorite ED of all time.

I planned to watch everything from where I left off, in order. The flashback of Obito and Madara was pretty good, the amount of blood presented in that arc is insane, I remember being shocked when I read that part in the manga.

Not fond of the ED song yet. I feel bad for laughing when Obito touched young Rin's cheek, even though I know what Obito went through. My inner self screams pedo. Influence of internetz -.-

RedRoseFring said:

It's kind of obvious that Judals views One Piece's biggest flaw as: not being HxH.
All the villains are the same? Yeah right! You'd have to be deaf and dumb to even begin to think that.

It's very obvious, it's been 2 months after all. The level of fanboyism tops mine. HxH board is kind of creepy, there are a few who would check every new comments, feel like being stalked by freakin Yuno Gasai.
Modified by ToG25thBaam, Mar 8, 2014 2:49 PM
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control

Mar 8, 2014 2:47 PM

judals said:
You said 'the' but whatever floats your boat.

None of these felt well executed to me. I know a person, esp. A shonen mc would go above and beyond to save someone. What else?

Shikamaru didn't need emphasis on these, what he did most importantly how well it was done had more of an impact on me. He felt like he was struggling both physically and in trying to figure out how to deal with them, and then the all was fine and well, till it wasn't. Despair is a dynamic state, as Castor put it lol.

Fair enough. We'll never agree anyway.

Mar 8, 2014 3:01 PM

judals said:
ssjokg said:

Being dangerous isnt characterization worth mentioning like you did.

Oh but it is. It makes a world's difference when there's action (in any form) involved.

Then what you say about OP villains is false?Refuted by you?
Even if we forget backstories and motives each and every big villain and antagonist was VERY dangerous.Blackbeard and Akainu alone are enough.No need to mention Arlong,Moria,Crocodile or freaking Donflamingo.
If just being bad and dangerous is enough then OP easily beats Naruto.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Mar 8, 2014 3:15 PM

I swear to God, every time I open this thread, it's the same guys talking about battle Shounen.

You know what's overrated?

Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. This anime has some of the most boring/pointless episodes I've ever seen. The fact that the episodes were aired in non-chronological order pisses me off too. And I see no point to this; the novels were in chronological order. And even if you do watch it in the chronological order, you get a really terrible episode for the finale.

Mar 8, 2014 3:23 PM

Cupquake said:
I swear to God, every time I open this thread, it's the same guys talking about battle Shounen.

Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. This anime has some of the most boring/pointless episodes I've ever seen. The fact that the episodes were aired in non-chronological order pisses me off too. And I see no point to this; the novels were in chronological order. And even if you do watch it in the chronological order, you get a really terrible episode for the finale.

Except for the final ep that wasnt even in the LNs it was a very interesting slice of life sci fi series.
Now before you say it nobody actually likes E8.There are just those that are capable to finish it(and feel proud for the labor they completed) all and those that cant.How they made a single chapter(which actually was the last part)8 eps is mindblowing.

Mar 8, 2014 3:28 PM
Cupquake said:

Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. This anime has some of the most boring/pointless episodes I've ever seen.

clearly you havent watched Cowboy Bepop yet

Mar 8, 2014 3:30 PM

arikatoki said:
Cupquake said:

Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. This anime has some of the most boring/pointless episodes I've ever seen.

Yes I have

also overrated, but at least Bebop was good

Mar 8, 2014 3:30 PM

Cupquake said:

The whole "non-chronological" thing is KyoAni's way of trolling the fans. And they took it one step further with the endless eight.

Mar 8, 2014 3:32 PM

SolBlade said:
Cupquake said:

The whole "non-chronological" thing is KyoAni's way of trolling the fans. And they took it one step further with the endless eight.

It's KyoAni. They're masters of making overrated shit
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Mar 8, 2014 3:32 PM

ssjokg said:
Cupquake said:

Except for the final ep that wasnt even in the LNs it was a very interesting slice of life sci fi series.
Now before you say it nobody actually likes E8. There are just those that are capable to finish it(and feel proud for the labor they completed) all and those that cant.How they made a single chapter(which actually was the last part)8 eps is mindblowing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_9k47ArgZI

Mar 8, 2014 3:33 PM

Cupquake said:
arikatoki said:
Cupquake said:

Yes I have

episodic slice of life scifi series vs episodic space cowboy adventures
yes I see why it was "better".

Mar 8, 2014 3:33 PM

ToG25thBaam said:

It's very obvious, it's been 2 months after all. The level of fanboyism tops mine. HxH board is kind of creepy, there are a few who would check every new comments, feel like being stalked by freakin Yuno Gasai.

Since I am one of those people, may I ask what exactly is so wrong with talking to people about a show I am a huge fan of? I can't speak for everyone else, but for me it is fun to see other peoples perspective and maybe offer my own as well. Speaking from experience, nothing is more lame than an empty forum. The entire point is to share your opinion after all.

Now, the problem is when people attack each other. That isn't cool.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia

Mar 8, 2014 3:34 PM

ssjokg said:
Cupquake said:
arikatoki said:
Cupquake said:

Yes I have

Bebop has Spike. Therefore Bebop>Haruhi.

Mar 8, 2014 3:35 PM

jal90 said:
ssjokg said:
Cupquake said:

Now before you say it nobody actually likes E8. There are just those that are capable to finish it(and feel proud for the labor they completed) all and those that cant.How they made a single chapter(which actually was the last part)8 eps is mindblowing.

There are people that can sit and watch all of it and not find it disappointing?
SolBlade said:
ssjokg said:
Cupquake said:
arikatoki said:
Cupquake said:

Yes I have

Haruhi has Kyon.
So Haruhi >CP
Come to me western catering fans

Mar 8, 2014 3:35 PM

ssjokg said:
Haruhi has Kyon.

But there's no sex

Mar 8, 2014 3:36 PM

ssjokg said:
jal90 said:
ssjokg said:
Cupquake said:

There are people that can sit and watch all of it and not find it disappointing?
SolBlade said:
ssjokg said:
Cupquake said:
arikatoki said:
Cupquake said:

Yes I have

Haruhi has Kyon.

Kyon is awesome but Spike is better. Though I do like Kyon more than Jet, Faye and Edward so there is that to consider.

Mar 8, 2014 3:38 PM

insan3Spectre said:

Since I am one of those people, may I ask what exactly is so wrong with talking to people about a show I am a huge fan of? I can't speak for everyone else, but for me it is fun to see other peoples perspective and maybe offer my own as well. Speaking from experience, nothing is more lame than an empty forum. The entire point is to share your opinion after all.

I see nothing wrong with fans discussing with each other, but I find it to be kind of creepy to have people checking every new comments. It's just how I feel, nothing is wrong with you or anyone.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control

Mar 8, 2014 3:38 PM

ssjokg said:
jal90 said:
ssjokg said:
Cupquake said:

There are certainly because I do. Surely it's not the most entertaining arc to watch but I appreciate and like how it is structured and its internal coherence. I have even defended it quite a few times as a legitimately well-constructed arc that trascends the mere troll move.

And Spike > Kyon, yeah (but what is this comparison about? lol)

Mar 8, 2014 3:39 PM

SolBlade said:

Kyon is awesome but Spike is better. Though I do like Kyon more than Jet, Faye and Edward so there is that to consider.

I never saw what is so good about him?
That he can kick ass and always has a cool(didnt feel it) look even when "BANG"(I didnt feel anything there either)?

Mar 8, 2014 3:43 PM

ssjokg said:
SolBlade said:

That he can kick ass and always has a cool(didnt feel it) look even when "BANG"(I didnt feel anything there either)?

Spike's got plenty of depth, he's more than just a cool guy.

Mar 8, 2014 3:46 PM

jal90 said:
ssjokg said:
jal90 said:
ssjokg said:
Cupquake said:

There are certainly because I do. Surely it's not the most entertaining arc to watch but I appreciate and like how it is structured and its internal coherence. I have even defended it quite a few times as a legitimately well-constructed arc that trascends the mere troll move.

As far as understanding their position I can understand what you mean by internal coherence .But wouldnt 3 eps be enough for that(first time,random number loop and end)?
I can appreciate that they put less work on it(even less script writing could help the budget)so they could make the great movie but aside from that it was tedious.

Well ofc I was wrong since you at least liked it but overall I dont think there was something there to praise when we think of the whole season.

Mar 8, 2014 3:48 PM

SolBlade said:
ssjokg said:
SolBlade said:

Spike's got plenty of depth, he's more than just a cool guy.
Well I couldnt see that.

Mar 8, 2014 3:57 PM
is psycho pass something that can be considered underrated

Mar 8, 2014 4:00 PM

ssjokg said:
jal90 said:
ssjokg said:
jal90 said:
ssjokg said:
Cupquake said:

As far as understanding their position I can understand what you mean by internal coherence .But wouldnt 3 eps be enough for that(first time,random number loop and end)?

Yes, they would be enough. But it would be as arbitrary as picking eight episodes or ninety. My issue with it being called simply a troll move or a way to save budget is that it is too big and too consistant of an effort. I'm inclined to believe that they wanted to generate a genuine feeling of desperation from the audience through the arc, seeing the events being repeated multiple times while Kyon didn't perceive the situation this way because his mind was reset at the end of every loop. I think it was the first time in the whole show where there was a clear dissociation between the subjective narration of the story through Kyon's viewpoint and the perception the audience had on the events, which was interesting enough for me as an experimental narrative.

Mar 8, 2014 4:00 PM

Sung-Hwan said:

It depends, I have a hard time calling anything in the top 100 underrated, but that's just me.

Mar 8, 2014 4:24 PM

SetsukoHara said:
Sung-Hwan said:

It depends, I have a hard time calling anything in the top 100 underrated, but that's just me.

Yeah, i agree.

I think it should be higher than some anime above it, but it is in the TOP 100. Other than that, there is a high possibility that the second season will be overrated

Mar 8, 2014 4:52 PM
Madoka Magica is a typhoon in the Japanese markets now, but on MAL, it's considered "ok."

I just realized.
Modified by 00002019, Mar 8, 2014 4:59 PM

Mar 8, 2014 4:55 PM

Sung-Hwan said:
Madoka Magica is a typhoon in the Japanese markets now, but on MAL, it's considered shit.

I just realized.
I didn't realize 8.67 was considered shit.
yuh yuh yuh

Mar 8, 2014 4:58 PM

Emnay said:
Sung-Hwan said:
Madoka Magica is a typhoon in the Japanese markets now, but on MAL, it's considered shit.

I just realized.

Even the movies are rated higher than 8.50. Are you trolling SH?

Mar 8, 2014 4:58 PM
Emnay said:
Sung-Hwan said:

I just realized.

Maybe shit was a bit extreme.

It's not very impressive to say the least. But my opinion.

Mar 8, 2014 5:00 PM

Sung-Hwan said:
Emnay said:
Sung-Hwan said:

I just realized.

I think the rating is fine. The third movie deserves higher though. Great series, but 8.7 is a good rating for any series

Mar 8, 2014 5:00 PM

Sung-Hwan said:

I just realized.

Being truly popular and a hit on the market doesn't make something good. Twilight is there to deny a counterargument.

However, it's not hated here, and i loved it btw

Mar 8, 2014 5:02 PM
I do not take MAL rankings seriously, but if I do have to take it into account, I consider anything below 8.80 to be underrated.

Mar 8, 2014 5:03 PM

Sung-Hwan said:
Emnay said:
Sung-Hwan said:

I just realized.

You say it isn't impressive but you rated the first two movies and the series all 10. Your words and list kind of contradict each other.

InfernCup said:
Sung-Hwan said:
Emnay said:
Sung-Hwan said:

I just realized.

You say it isn't impressive but you rated the first two movies and the series all 10. Your words and list kind of contradict each other.

What does my rating have to do with its ranking on MAL....?

Sung-Hwan said:
I do not take MAL rankings seriously, but if I do have to take it into account, I consider anything below 8.80 to be underrated.
Mars of Destruction is under 8.80

By your logic it's underrated

Mar 8, 2014 5:04 PM

JD2411 said:
Sung-Hwan said:

And it is. It deserves more hate.

Mar 8, 2014 5:05 PM
AstronomyDomine said:
JD2411 said:
Sung-Hwan said:

And it is. It deserves more hate.

Pupa is about to replace Hametsu no Mars in notoriety.

Mar 8, 2014 6:14 PM

Underrated: One Piece

Spare me all that hipster crap that its a mindless and cliche action series with one-dimensional characters and that its being milked needlessly for money. It has some really deep moments that shows there is a lot of thought put into the characters and a really interesting story with multiple subplots that is worth reading till the end. The long length is what actually makes it more enjoyable than most manga.
"Legal translators and subbers for anime/manga are like the Shichibukai, basically pirates hired by companies to keep other pirates in check."-SuperRed

Mar 8, 2014 6:15 PM

D0FLAMINGO said:

Spare me all that hipster crap that its a mindless and cliche action series with one-dimensional characters and that its being milked needlessly for money. It has some really deep moments that shows there is a lot of thought put into the characters and a really interesting story with multiple subplots that is worth reading till the end.

One Piece underrated

Anime? yes

Manga? Hell no

Mar 8, 2014 7:03 PM
Cupquake said:
D0FLAMINGO said:

Spare me all that hipster crap that its a mindless and cliche action series with one-dimensional characters and that its being milked needlessly for money. It has some really deep moments that shows there is a lot of thought put into the characters and a really interesting story with multiple subplots that is worth reading till the end.

One Piece underrated

Anime? yes

Manga? Hell no

It's the other way around.
Yoshii Kiria took over as leader of Fairytale and rebuilt it and became one of Tsukunes formidable enemies but let's save that story for another time

Hehe, let me introduce him to you again, kid. This is Shuzen Issa (who is MIA during the final battle), who will become your 'trainer' starting today. You still have much to go if you want to become the headmaster.

Like the two souls have started to become one.

Mar 8, 2014 7:04 PM

Cupquake said:
D0FLAMINGO said:

One Piece underrated

Anime? yes

Manga? Hell no

Anime has been crap since the Hancock arc, I'm starting to wish even Studio Pierrot was in charge of the anime.
"Legal translators and subbers for anime/manga are like the Shichibukai, basically pirates hired by companies to keep other pirates in check."-SuperRed

Mar 8, 2014 7:05 PM

D0FLAMINGO said:
Cupquake said:
D0FLAMINGO said:

One Piece underrated

Anime? yes

Manga? Hell no

Anime has been crap since the Hancock arc, I'm starting to wish even Studio Pierrot was in charge of the anime.
Toei's way better than Pierrot.

Mar 8, 2014 7:06 PM

IntroverTurtle said:
D0FLAMINGO said:
Cupquake said:
D0FLAMINGO said:

One Piece underrated

Anime? yes

Manga? Hell no

I'm still waiting for it to finish so I can finally start watching it.

Mar 8, 2014 7:07 PM

Repawn said:
IntroverTurtle said:
D0FLAMINGO said:
Cupquake said:
D0FLAMINGO said:

One Piece underrated

Anime? yes

Manga? Hell no

I'm still waiting for it to finish so I can finally start watching it.
10 years later ....still waiting

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (195) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »