Forum Settings
Forums

[Possible Spoilers] Most Overrated/Underrated Anime V. 2

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (195) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

Mar 8, 2014 10:34 AM

Kaimon237 said:
tsudecimo said:
as soon as I write a little bit of text, you disappear

Um....because I made my point? Or someone else replied before I did? Or we got to a mutual understanding?

Really, so you are supposed to leave an argument because you posted your point once. We never got to a mutual understanding, ever.

Like the time I said I could understand you not liking how the Palace Invasion concluded
Or justifying Gon v. Pitou
Or how Alluka was hinted at
Or how I just don't like Sasuke's character,etc. (The only time I Ging'd on you, really)
Or how characters in Juan Peese.....actually have character and are static at worse(Sanji), but not 1D

EDIT: At the same time I also don't know how someone could be disappointed with CA but be A-OK with the Ninja War arc, honestly

I think already told you before. I never. And I literally mean never, understood what you are coming from at anything.

Since it's far better from what I have seen from it. And is not riddled with the problems I had with the Chimera Ant arc. Actually, the Soul Society arc is better than the Chiemra Ant arc. I think of that arc as 4/10, so a lot of things are better than it.

Anyway, my point still stands, I don't care for your opinions and your oh so hilarious comments and ridicules, so stop addressing me and trying to make me know them. Actually, I will just ignore you since that's just easier than trying to be reasonable.

SetsukoHara said:

tsudecimo said:
After re-watching Bleach up to the end of the Soul Society arc, I feel like it's hate is even more unjustified. And I'm definitely a Studio Perriot fan. Well it's popular so..

Most people like this arc, it's what come after that get a lot of hate.

I'm planning to watch the rest of it, except for the Fullbring arc (god that arc sucked). I don't know, I remember the Espada/Aracnar arc been highly enjoyable.

Oh and Aizen is a fucking boss.
Modified by tsudecimo, Mar 8, 2014 10:40 AM

Mar 8, 2014 10:38 AM

Sung-Hwan said:
ssjokg said:
tsudecimo said:
D0FLAMINGO said:
tsudecimo said:

One Piece. Slow story progression, repetitive narrative and a sense of discontinuity in it due to some episodic arcs, cast full of annoying characters, one dimensional main characters, lack of character development, easily has the worst fights in any battle anime I've seen, vapid and repetitive dialogue, ugly art, exaggerated over the top expressions ruins certain scenes, horrible stale humor for the most part but when it is good, it's really good, misplace comedy in serious situations, lack of interesting and compelling villains and has the worst written character in Shounen Jump history Sanji.

Examples of the bolded please.

Sanji vs Bon clay, Luffy vs Crocodile, literally any other fight I saw, why do you want examples.

Ace's death, the merry go round 'death'.

Kuma came and was about rip their shit up. The situation was very serious, luffy was unconscious and there was a chance there will all be captured but they still found a way to insert some lame comedy.
Isnt all that "i dont like it so it is a flaw?"

THe war arc in Naruto anime is the most ridiculous war in anime, even in Saint Seiya they were actually fighting instead of playing dodgeball with kunai.

Then you say that OP cant be taken seiously...Ninja in orange worker suit.Char that has been useless for most of the series.Cop out powers from villains(Jesus Nagato).Supporting chars that have almost 0 development.(lol at your point about OP's char lacking development)
All antagonists have basically the same problem.

Comedy in serious situations?How about Naruto

Round of applause.

Thank you all for your contribution for the thread, now we can all agree that both are overrated.

Overrated:

-Majority of the battle shonen: Majority repeating scenarios, did this happen because of DB or something before it?(ofc this is for manga too)

-Neon Genesis Evangelion: It blows my mind that there are people that defend the shit that was the last two episodes. Many people say that the characters are realistic, but the only one that i believed that could be real was Misato and the story never finished.

-Code Geass R2: I feel like its amazing ending raised its score by A LOT and also the fact that it is a sequel

underrated anime:
i haven't seen one yet
Modified by cruzateu, Mar 8, 2014 11:27 AM

Mar 8, 2014 10:48 AM

ssjokg said:
judals said:
ssjokg said:

THe war arc in Naruto anime is the most ridiculous war in anime, even in Saint Seiya they were actually fighting instead of playing dodgeball with kunai.

Then you say that OP cant be taken seiously...Ninja in orange worker suit.Char that has been useless for most of the series.Cop out powers from villains(Jesus Nagato).Supporting chars that have almost 0 development.(lol at your point about OP's char lacking development)
All big antagonists have basically the same problem.

Guy in almost every scene?

And unlike Naruto, in OP that is how the manga is.Naruto is supposed to be serious,at times, yet has the same "flaw".

Naruto vs Gaara, finger of thousand deaths.
Obito reveal, using shit jokes as scapegoat from the crappy reveal.

But really, Marineford's not much better. The only thing is that it did not last insanely long.
Still the other ones you mentioned aren't misplaced like in One Piece. Or weren't as jarring.
And both have their fair share of cop-out powers.
OP never used powers to bring back important dead characters and as I said in OP from ep/chapter 1 you know that this is how it is gonna be.It isnt a serious story that has such moments at random.Cant say the same for Naruto that is supposed to be a more serious series in how it is presented.

And I remember fights during the Marineford not dodgekunai and other shit till some overpowered chars arrive and save the fodder's asses.

Powers, PIS, CIS, bring a character from the dead is the same; unless there's an undeniably perfect explanation for it and it doesn't do it over and over. Both are culprits in this which makes the action a joke. Only in Naruto we at least got a good thing going for up to the end of the Pain arc. (Despite a prior revival, it kept the tension with the brilliant Hidan arc, which was not only tense itself but gave the action a little more credibility a bit onward and had it going for a couple more arcs.)
Estalished from the beginning? Then cannot be taken seriously from the beginning. Then it was already a soap opera. It always had weak writing.. in that regard. Instead of becoming so later on.

Fights in Marineford seemed like a dull DBZ affair. from cool to hype with nothing good in between.
Modified by Grunbeld, Mar 8, 2014 10:52 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Mar 8, 2014 10:49 AM

cruzateu said:

Thank you all for your contribution for the thread, now we can all agree that both are overrated.

No.

I agree with your sig, somewhat. Baam is one of the better MC. My favorite is still Koon from ToG universe.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control

Mar 8, 2014 11:12 AM

tsudecimo said:
Kaimon237 said:
tsudecimo said:
as soon as I write a little bit of text, you disappear

Um....because I made my point? Or someone else replied before I did? Or we got to a mutual understanding?

Really, so you are supposed to leave an argument because you posted your point once. We never got to a mutual understanding, ever.

Like the time I said I could understand you not liking how the Palace Invasion concluded
Or justifying Gon v. Pitou
Or how Alluka was hinted at
Or how I just don't like Sasuke's character,etc. (The only time I Ging'd on you, really)
Or how characters in Juan Peese.....actually have character and are static at worse(Sanji), but not 1D

EDIT: At the same time I also don't know how someone could be disappointed with CA but be A-OK with the Ninja War arc, honestly

I think already told you before. I never. And I literally mean never, understood what you are coming from at anything.

Since it's far better from what I have seen from it. And is not riddled with the problems I had with the Chimera Ant arc. Actually, the Soul Society arc is better than the Chiemra Ant arc. I think of that arc as 4/10, so a lot of things are better than it.

Anyway, my point still stands, I don't care for your opinions .

A true Naruto fan.Wait that has nothing to do with being a Naruto fan, you did this again in other series where you didnt care about what others had to say.

judals said:
ssjokg said:
judals said:
ssjokg said:

All big antagonists have basically the same problem.

Guy in almost every scene?

And unlike Naruto, in OP that is how the manga is.Naruto is supposed to be serious,at times, yet has the same "flaw".

Naruto vs Gaara, finger of thousand deaths.
Obito reveal, using shit jokes as scapegoat from the crappy reveal.

But really, Marineford's not much better. The only thing is that it did not last insanely long.
Still the other ones you mentioned aren't misplaced like in One Piece. Or weren't as jarring.
And both have their fair share of cop-out powers.
OP never used powers to bring back important dead characters and as I said in OP from ep/chapter 1 you know that this is how it is gonna be.It isnt a serious story that has such moments at random.Cant say the same for Naruto that is supposed to be a more serious series in how it is presented.

And I remember fights during the Marineford not dodgekunai and other shit till some overpowered chars arrive and save the fodder's asses.

Powers, PIS, CIS, bring a character from the dead is the same; unless there's an undeniably perfect explanation for it and it doesn't do it over and over. Both are culprits in this which makes the action a joke. Only in Naruto we at least got a good thing going for up to the end of the Pain arc. (Despite a prior revival, it kept the tension with the brilliant Hidan arc, which was not only tense itself but gave the action a little more credibility a bit onward and had it going for a couple more arcs.)
Estalished from the beginning? Then cannot be taken seriously from the beginning. Then it was already a soap opera. It always had weak writing.. in that regard. Instead of becoming so later on.

Fights in Marineford seemed like a dull DBZ affair. from cool to hype with nothing good in between.

The revival destroyed everything that happened in Pain arc.It had the tension of the Hidan arc(villains with no real motives and background?)?Too bad that it killed that with that cop out.

So in other words we judge the series based on how it is presented?So I guess Gintama is bad as well with all those serious arcs it throws at us.

They still were fights instead of fodder playing around with resurrected legendary ninjas.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Mar 8, 2014 11:21 AM

ssjokg said:

The revival destroyed everything that happened in Pain arc.It had the tension of the Hidan arc(villains with no real motives and background?)?Too bad that it killed that with that cop out.

So in other words we judge the series based on how it is presented?So I guess Gintama is bad as well with all those serious arcs it throws at us.

They still were fights instead of fodder playing around with great resurrected ninjas.

Doesn't change the fact that the arc itself felt intense. Sure Pain's cop-out left a sense of betrayal, and from that point out everything is not the same, but what happened before, happened.
(What do you mean? Hidan had no real motives and background?)

Yes. It was presented badly. You can't deny that One Piece tries to be dramatic and serious overall, and throwing these comedic stuff whether it was always there or not damages it severely. Not that it was that good in the first place.
And it's not just the comedy, bringing characters back too.
Not saying the War arc didn't suck, just saying MF wasn't much better anyway.

And who knows, I hate Gintama anyways.

Mar 8, 2014 11:22 AM

Naruto hasn't had villains since Hidan and Kakuzu,, bonus points because they weren't swayed by TnJ either.

I sorta miss those guys

Mar 8, 2014 11:24 AM

Kaimon237 said:
Naruto hasn't had villains since Hidan and Kakuzu,, bonus points because Naruto wasn't obnoxiously involved... till the very end.

I sorta miss those guys

Fixed.

Mar 8, 2014 11:42 AM

judals said:
ssjokg said:

They still were fights instead of fodder playing around with great resurrected ninjas.

Doesn't change the fact that the arc itself felt intense. Sure Pain's cop-out left a sense of betrayal, and from that point out everything is not the same, but what happened before, happened.
(What do you mean? Hidan had no real motives and background?)

Yes. It was presented badly. You can't deny that One Piece tries to be dramatic and serious overall, and throwing these comedic stuff whether it was always there or not damages it severely. Not that it was that good in the first place.
And it's not just the comedy, bringing characters back too.
Not saying the War arc didn't suck, just saying MF wasn't much better anyway.

And who knows, I hate Gintama anyways.

Doesnt matter.In the end everything that happened to Konoha's citizens was meaningless.You dont judge something based on a part but all of it.

Both Hidan and Kakuzo had no real background or personal motives.

I and others never had a problem with those comedic scenes in OP because it was presented that way.You are basically saying that it isnt as serious as you want it to be so there is something wrong with it.

Were
Or the victims of that gas in the Punk Hazard arc?

That you hate Gintama doesnt change the fact that you cant say that a series is bad because it keeps being true its genre even during serious times.
Modified by ssjokg, Mar 8, 2014 12:07 PM

Mar 8, 2014 12:09 PM

ssjokg said:

Doesnt matter.In the end everything that happened to Konoha's citizens was meaningless.You dont judge something based on a part but all of it.

Details are what make things what they are, they are part of the execution.
I'd rather have a good arc with a troll ending than a bad one all the way.
OP arcs pander so much about some cliches, then pander even more about how the character's dying (despite being so bland and uninteresting and not very intense of a situation), and THEN troll us with his comeback.

1) They had goals, actually. If anything, it was all personal in the end, from an akatsuki task to a vendetta. Story progression right there.

2) Even if they hadn't, so? The problem with OP villains is the monotony. All villains are the same, generic big bad remade over and over.
3) It seems like the big thing that someone has to have a past in order to have a story. A writer can characterize a character in the present time, and they were done pretty well. Why would they need some background stories beyond what they were?

I and others never had a problem with those comedic scenes in OP because it was presented that way.You are basically saying that it isnt as serious as you want it to be so there is something wrong with it.

Yes that's what I'm saying. So? The personal enjoyment thing can go both ways and it'll end up being a popularity contest.
Wanting to make a serious story, yet the subpar execution and misplaced comedy killed the drama. So it wasn't as serious as IT tried to be either.

Were

Was
revived?
The thing,
s death was the only one that did not feel like a predictable, just-part-of-the-story, set-up for a climax kind of thing, the two you mentioned and one I did felt like it. So I was indifferent toward these 3 as they built up toward it.
It says a lot when a series that's known for having never killed characters has such predictable deaths. Irony.

besides, in Edo Tensei, they are ultimately still did afterward. Not the same for OP chars. (so it sucks a bit less.)

Mar 8, 2014 12:38 PM

judals said:
ssjokg said:

Details are what make things what they are, they are part of the execution.
I'd rather have a good arc with a troll ending than a bad one all the way.
OP arcs pander so much about some cliches, then pander even more about how the character's dying (despite being so bland and uninteresting and not very intense of a situation), and THEN troll us with his comeback.

1) They had goals, actually. If anything, it was all personal in the end, from an akatsuki task to a vendetta. Story progression right there.

2) Even if they hadn't, so? The problem with OP villains is the monotony. All villains are the same, generic big bad remade over and over.
3) It seems like the big thing that someone has to have a past in order to have a story. A writer can characterize a character in the present time, and they were done pretty well. Why would they need some background stories beyond what they were?

Yes that's what I'm saying. So? The personal enjoyment thing can go both ways and it'll end up being a popularity contest.
Wanting to make a serious story, yet the subpar execution and misplaced comedy killed the drama. So it wasn't as serious as IT tried to be either.

Were

Was
revived?
The thing,
s death was the only one that did not feel like a predictable, just-part-of-the-story, set-up for a climax kind of thing, the two you mentioned and one I did felt like it. So I was indifferent toward these 3 as they built up toward it.
It says a lot when a series that's known for having never killed characters has such predictable deaths. Irony.

besides, in Edo Tensei, they are ultimately still did afterward. Not the same for OP chars. (so it sucks a bit less.)

Nagato's power was a big fucking detail that made it all worthless.

One of them was a big evil guy because of an art obsession and the other was just evil?Great characterization.
I already posted about Naruto's big villains having the same past and goal.For ninjas that are supposed to be near death all the time they sure are crybabies.

In OP on the other hand we have pirates who want money and power.Seems normal to me and they dont ALL have the same tragic backstory.

Are you talking about

And I am trying to say that OP never tried to be serious like Bleach, Naruto or FMA.

.Not forced at all.
As for predictability,
were really predictable huh?

OP chars never came in life by a power that is a clear plotdevice for forced drama
and just bring back strong chars to prolong a shitty war arc.

But what does Edo Tensei have to do with what I said and Nagato's power?Wait nothing at all since they are different reviving powers and Op never revived important chars that were obviously shown dead.
Modified by ssjokg, Mar 8, 2014 12:43 PM

Mar 8, 2014 12:45 PM

judals said:

Crocodile, Lucci, Moria are the same? Are you kidding. In term of motives, personality, backstory... They are really different.
judals said:

The thing,

s death was the only one that did not feel like a predictable, just-part-of-the-story, set-up for a climax kind of thing, the two you mentioned and one I did felt like it. So I was indifferent toward these 3 as the

A lot of character did die in One Piece, mostly in flashbacks, yes, but they're still dead and never came back. Oda just decided that he wouldn't kill people unless their death is meaningful to the story.

About, Naruto:

death was as predictable as the other. I remember the discussion when the manga was at that point, everybody and their grandmother's knew this character was going to die, just because it was so strange this minor character got in the spotlight suddenly. If anything,
death surprises more people.

Mar 8, 2014 12:46 PM

Well damn, we're not trying to compare both series, are we?

@ssjokg
I thought you were just trying to prove that what tsudecimo claimed to appear in OP also appears in Naruto.

Mar 8, 2014 12:49 PM

Probably said it a 1,000 times but

Evangelion is overrated. Shit characters with the exception of maybe Misato. Incoherent story and troll ending. Fanboys interpret it as "requires viewer's interpretation." I say shit writing.

Mar 8, 2014 12:54 PM

ssjokg said:

As for predictability,

death was predictable, at least I remember there weren't any debates about it, almost everyone knew it was going to happen.

For
death, some people thought it would happen, but I remember that the majority thought he was going to survive. I remember that even when:
, a lot of people still thought he was going to survive.

Mar 8, 2014 12:55 PM

ToG25thBaam said:
Well damn, we're not trying to compare both series, are we?

@ssjokg
I thought you were just trying to prove that what tsudecimo claimed to appear in OP also appears in Naruto.
I guess my first post to tsudecimo seemed to imply that.
Sorry, what I meant was that it would be more accurate to put Naruto in place of OP.I had said the same thing before to Not_Biased who had a similar post(Really what happened to him?)

I strongly believe that OP is a lot better in what it does, in its genre and premise than Bleach,Naruto or FT.

Mar 8, 2014 12:55 PM

SetsukoHara said:

Crocodile, Lucci, Moria are the same? Are you kidding. In term of motives, personality, backstory... They are really different.

Warlord, secret government group. Seems quite different, except they turned out to be exactly the same the further we went into the arc.

A lot of character did die in One Piece, mostly in flashbacks, yes, but they're still dead and never came back. Oda just decided that he wouldn't kill people unless their death is meaningful to the story.

What do you mean "meaningful to the story? So basically death is non-existent for anyone, and no matter what damage, what situation, what implication by the author himself, about death, that's all meaningless? and that's exactly what makes it bad writing.
It's also cheap. If he doesn't want to kill someone off don't try to build it up that they are.
Honestly it just seems he's trying to please as much of the crowd as possible.

death was as predictable as the other. I remember the discussion when the manga was at that point, everybody and their grandmother's knew this character was going to die, just because it was so strange this minor character got in the spotlight suddenly. If anything,
death surprises more people.

Yes but the part leading up to it was full of "I hope he doesn't die" for me, in MF, it was, ok, we get it, first half, baddies win, get on with it.

Mar 8, 2014 1:05 PM

judals said:
SetsukoHara said:

Warlord, secret government group. Seems quite different, except they turned out to be exactly the same the further we went into the arc.

I wouldn't compare those three, especially the first two with Moria. However, I do think Crocodile has more in common with Doflamingo than he does with Lucci or Moria seeing as they are both warlords (at some point) and some other stuff. However, Doffy and Crocodile aren't all that similar either.

judals said:

What do you mean "meaningful to the story? So basically death is non-existent for anyone, and no matter what damage, what situation, what implication by the author himself, about death, that's all meaningless? and that's exactly what makes it bad writing.
It's also cheap. If he doesn't want to kill someone off don't try to build it up that they are.

In my opinion, it works both ways. It could be considered bad writing if the author just kills people off for the shock factor.

Mar 8, 2014 1:05 PM

judals said:
SetsukoHara said:

Naruto:
Akatsuki,Orochimaru,Kabuto or some Uchiha.
Oh wait

Damn, even if in OP they look the same, in Naruto they ARE the same.

Mar 8, 2014 1:07 PM

Zeally said:

Evangelion is overrated. Shit characters with the exception of maybe Misato. Incoherent story and troll ending. Fanboys interpret it as "requires viewer's interpretation." I say shit writing.

What part of End of Evangelion you didn't understand?

Mar 8, 2014 1:08 PM

ssjokg said:

One of them was a big evil guy because of an art obsession and the other was just evil?Great characterization.
I already posted about Naruto's big villains having the same past and goal.For ninjas that are supposed to be near death all the time they sure are crybabies.

In OP on the other hand we have pirates who want money and power.Seems normal to me and they dont ALL have the same tragic backstory.

And I am trying to say that OP never tried to be serious like Bleach, Naruto or FMA.

As for predictability,

OP chars never came in life by a power that is a clear plotdevice for forced drama
But what does Edo Tensei have to do with what I said and Nagato's power?Wait nothing at all since they are different reviving powers and Op never revived important chars that were obviously shown dead.

Not for me, I still remember enjoying the invasion itself, a much better war than MF and the 4th SW.

As for Hidan and kakuzu, they didn't need to be the deepest characters there are, and let's not kid ourselves, neither of the shows have villains like that.
They were portrayed as dangerous players in the game and I say well done. The pay-off was great too.
That's the problem with OP villains, more or less, with a different scale, they all have the same motivation and same story line, and pose the same kind of obstacle and go about the same kind of climax.

being brought back by power is stupid, bringing them back without an excuse is even worse. "Oh, your death meant nothing to the 'story', leave purgatory now." - God in one piece universe.

And yes, those deaths were very predictable for me.

cupc said:
Zeally said:

It's most likely the last two episodes, that seems to the general consensus among those I know.

ToG25thBaam said:
He hasn't read the manga. The war arc will get worse soon.

It will probably not become bad. And I didn't have a problem with the common(?) complaints regarding the war arc so far. ( Tobi, Edo Tensi, The scale of power, Sasuke's future decisions)

I especially like Tobi's character and Sasuke's characterization after the war arc started.

Remember, what you consider a flaw, might be a merit in someone else's eye. Well, in Tobi's case, it's less of a 'flaw' and more like people being too dense and being a part of a bandwagon.

Mar 8, 2014 1:11 PM

cupc said:
Zeally said:

Mar 8, 2014 1:11 PM

SetsukoHara said:
ssjokg said:

As for predictability,

death was predictable, at least I remember there weren't any debates about it, almost everyone knew it was going to happen.

For
death, some people thought it would happen, but I remember that the majority thought he was going to survive. I remember that even when:
, a lot of people still thought he was going to survive.

I didnt think it would happen since he was THAT OP.

tsudecimo said:

It will probably not become bad. And I didn't have a problem with the common(?) complaints regarding the war arc so far. ( Tobi, Edo Tensi, The scale of power, Sasuke's future decisions)

I especially like Tobi's character and Sasuke's characterization after the war arc started.

Remember, what you consider a flaw, might be a merit in someone else's eye. Well, in Tobi's case, it's less of a 'flaw' and more like people being too dense and being a part of a bandwagon.

Lots of others did.
The irony.

Mar 8, 2014 1:13 PM

judals said:

I'm surprised you were able to predict

Mar 8, 2014 1:14 PM

SolBlade said:
judals said:

I'm surprised you were able to predict

I agree. I thought he would be saved by the plot armor that everyone in OP seems to have which is why it was such a shock

Mar 8, 2014 1:15 PM

SolBlade said:

So true.

Mar 8, 2014 1:16 PM

tsudecimo said:
ToG25thBaam said:

I don't see those as flaws too, just saying. I only start to dislike Obito afterward when it starts to draggggggggggggggg. But, there are way more problems with this war. I do have a problem with the power scales, but it's nothing significant compare to what's coming next. I'll catch up to the anime and see how the animator team handles them, and see the masses' reaction.

judals said:
ssjokg said:

As for predictability,

Not for me, I still remember enjoying the invasion itself, a much better war than MF and the 4th SW.

As for Hidan and kakuzu, they didn't need to be the deepest characters there are, and let's not kid ourselves, neither of the shows have villains like that.
They were portrayed as dangerous players in the game and I say well done. The pay-off was great too.
That's the problem with OP villains, more or less, with a different scale, they all have the same motivation and same story line, and pose the same kind of obstacle and go about the same kind of climax.

being brought back by power is stupid, bringing them back without an excuse is even worse. "Oh, your death meant nothing to the 'story', leave purgatory now." - God in one piece universe.

And yes, those deaths were very predictable or me.

For you.So?

coughakatsukicough.What was that about same motivation and story line?They are still trying to take Tailed Beastes ffs.

Being dangerous isnt characterization worth mentioning like you did.

judals said:
SetsukoHara said:

They don't fight for the same reasons, not even close. Although I would defend that Crocodile and Moriah do share some of their motivations and their backstory is probably quite alike as well.

judals said:

That's some arbitrary logic; no, it doesn't make it bad writing by itself. The author wants to make deaths meaningful and sticks to this through the series, you can say that it makes the situations predictable, but don't treat the viewpoint as if it was fundamentally flawed or something.

judals said:

I think you are mistaking cheap for ineffective here. And some people even among the One Piece fanbase do have problems with false deaths to the point some dramatic events aren't effective anymore. I remember this being an issue for some people in

But then again it's a matter of, how it was called? Suspension of disbelief or something like that. Getting into the specific mood of the scenes and not depending too much on the overall picture. Some people have problems to do so and some others don't. Well, whatever.

Anyway, cheap? This many times just means adding more factors to the story in the form of characters and plot points, if anything it makes things more complicated. Crocodile or Moriah could have been killed in the fight but now they are applying for the New World as well and it's likely that they will appear again eventually.

Mar 8, 2014 1:19 PM

Cupquake said:
cupc said:
Zeally said:

Mar 8, 2014 1:21 PM

SolBlade said:

In my opinion, it works both ways. It could be considered bad writing if the author just kills people off for the shock factor.

It being shocking does not necessarily mean it was just for shock value. There was so much build up, I actually felt tense when they were trying to save "him", Shika thinking his brains out to save him in the middle of it all. which made it very frustrating when he died. I was made aware of all elements. Even the 2 side ninja there added more to it.
I call that good writing. Naruto's swan song really.

The same thing can be said for that certain OP character, but the whole arc was such a display-of-dbz-powers that they left much to be desired in the story department. I never felt the despair of trying to save him. Just some characters trying to be cool and hype as hell. In fact it was all filled with distractions and barely the main point itself.

Hidan's arc was smaller. More personal. More focused. In fact, MF was more about the 'unnecessary (and unsuccessful) shock value than the Hidan arc imo.

As for it being predictable (your newer reply)

Whenever there's a grand scale climax that's obviously not the ending, the good guys most likely will win.

Mar 8, 2014 1:22 PM

cupc said:
Cupquake said:
cupc said:
Zeally said:

Huh...thanks

About #3 though, why did that happen?

Mar 8, 2014 1:24 PM

ToG25thBaam said:
tsudecimo said:
ToG25thBaam said:

I don't see those as flaws too, just saying. I only start to dislike Obito afterward when it starts to draggggggggggggggg. But, there are way more problems with this war. I do have a problem with the power scales, but it's nothing significant compare to what's coming next. I'll catch up to the anime and see how the animator team handles them, and see the masses' reaction.

Well a friend of mine who reads Naruto, explained to me why people hate Obito. He said because he dragged out the war, and how that each chapter would be filled dialogue regarding Rin. Maybe it's understandable why someone would dislike him because of that, since 1 chapter per week, is already small content at it is. But I never read the manga or waited for it, so my impression is different because the anime handled his character better according to my friend.

I have no problem with people disliking him or out right hating him. But the ridiculing is what get to me sometimes, that and the blatant ignorance regarding his character in some aspects. The same goes for Sasuke.

Did you watch episode 345 of Naruto Shippuden?

Mar 8, 2014 1:27 PM

@judals: I didn't mean it for that particular example, it was meant for situations that thrive off shock value in general. Deaths that have lots of buildup are very shocking, especially if you are attached to that certain character like in the example from Naruto and OP that were mentioned earlier. But there are cases of characters appearing briefly just to be killed off, and while it can be used to build a more grim atmosphere, some just use it to look edgy.

judals said:

As for it being predictable (your newer reply)

Whenever there's a grand scale climax that's obviously not the ending, the good guys most likely will win.

That's true, though there are cases where it doesn't happen like the three you mentioned in the spoilers.
And I always thought that in a grand scale climax that nears the ending, the good guys (usually) win.

Mar 8, 2014 1:32 PM

SolBlade said:
cupc said:
Zeally said:

It's most likely the last two episodes, that seems to the general consensus among those I know.

What's confusing about the last 2 episodes? It's just what iwas happening in the character's mind during the entire show, it's shit. The confusing bit is in episodes 21~24(or 22-24) where they throw lots of symbolisms for no goddamn reason.( i haven't watched the eva movies)

edit: you're talking about the eva movies now so i'm lost =D
Modified by cruzateu, Mar 8, 2014 1:39 PM

Mar 8, 2014 1:42 PM

cupc said:

Thanks. I personally got a headache from watching it. I understood the TV series well enough, but EoE was too taxing on my brain...

Mar 8, 2014 1:43 PM

tsudecimo said:

Well a friend of mine who reads Naruto, explained to me why people hate Obito. He said because he dragged out the war, and how that each chapter would be filled dialogue regarding Rin. Maybe it's understandable why someone would dislike him because of that, since 1 chapter per week, is already small content at it is. But I never read the manga or waited for it, so my impression is different because the anime handled his character better according to my friend.

I have no problem with people disliking him or out right hating him. But the ridiculing is what get to me sometimes, that and the blatant ignorance regarding his character in some aspects. The same goes for Sasuke.

Yes, that's exactly the problem I have with him, flashback and more flashback, of the same thing. ~.~

I will never say that a character is badly written just because I dislike them, guess that's not the case for the others.

I am very far behind, I think by 2 years.. lol.. I dropped it back when it was fillers after fillers, that lasted for months. -.-

Mar 8, 2014 1:49 PM

ssjokg said:

Being dangerous isnt characterization worth mentioning like you did.

Oh but it is. It makes a world's difference when there's action (in any form) involved.

jal90 said:

They don't fight for the same reasons, not even close. Although I would defend that Crocodile and Moriah do share some of their motivations and their backstory is probably quite alike as well.

Not talking designs here.
Krieg wanted to take Baratie to return to GL, CC wanted Alabasta, if we phrase them it is very different, but how does it play out? They are most ultimately the big bad obstacle cliche. They just felt the same. What did Luffy want in EL? Beat Lucci and help robin. Arlong Park? Beat Arlong and help Nami. Beat boss x and proceed to the next level.

Like you said, if we analyse their motives, they are fairly different, but that hardly takes much of a role. This is a detail and details matter, but these are insufficient. It made for very shallow differences.

That's some arbitrary logic; no, it doesn't make it bad writing by itself. The author wants to make deaths meaningful and sticks to this through the series, you can say that it makes the situations predictable, but don't treat the viewpoint as if it was fundamentally flawed or something.

What's a meaningful death? Meaningful to what?
And please don't use the argument "said revived character actually accomplished something after said revival". That can be used for anyone, and the writer could have written anyone else to do that job instead, seems like an excuse to justify the cheating of death.

If he doesn't want to kill them, he should
1) not have made an action series
2) not have hyped it to be a life or death situation
3) not have actually pretended to kill them

Foresight/Hindsight: 0/20 for Oda. lol.

If he didn't want 'non-meaningful deaths', then he should not have written said subplot in the first place. It's bad writing to just ccheat characters out of a death situation, let alone go through with it and then troll them back into the story.

Why is it bad writing? Next quote:

But then again it's a matter of, how it was called? Suspension of disbelief

That only works with good execution, moderate usage to keep us in disbelief, and no cheap tricks that utterly destroy it.

@Solblade, yes. NEAR the end. None of the cases I mentioned were close. Hence, the bad guys win.
As for Shock value, if overused, it can be seen as a cheap trick, but in itself it's not bad. People quickly dismiss it as "for the sake of shock value" quickly. Not always the case. IMO

Ugh I give up. I cannot keep up with 4-5 people with quote towers, defending a series I don't even enjoy anymore.
Modified by Grunbeld, Mar 8, 2014 1:52 PM

Mar 8, 2014 1:51 PM

ToG25thBaam said:
tsudecimo said:

Yes, that's exactly the problem I have with him, flashback and more flashback, of the same thing. ~.~

I will never say that a character is badly written just because I dislike them, guess that's not the case for the others.

I am very far behind, I think by 2 years.. lol.. I dropped it back when it was fillers after fillers, that lasted for months. -.-

That episode covered the blood bath chapter (604 and 605). It was nicely animated for the most part, you should check it, when you are bored or something. This ED is one of the reasons that made me like him. It's really emotional and one of my favorite ED of all time.

Mar 8, 2014 1:54 PM

judals said:

The same thing can be said for that certain OP character, but the whole arc was such a display-of-dbz-powers that they left much to be desired in the story department. I never felt the despair of trying to save him. Just some characters trying to be cool and hype as hell. In fact it was all filled with distractions and barely the main point itself.

The display of power was something necessary considering the number of big players that were involved in this war, and it was also the famous "pirate's summit" that Ace told Luffy about when he gave him the Vivre card in Alabasta. So, this arc had two purposes : showing the big players and Ace rescue. The display of power was also the point of this arc.

But with that being said, if you couldn't feel any despair from Luffy and the WB commander, you probably weren't watching it seriously, I don't even know how many times the name Ace was said during this arcs, but it truly show it was the main focus of those fighters. Luffy went way beyond his limit (hormones injection), fought one of his best friend (Coby), his grandfather. All those, were emotional scene that weren't just there just to fangasm over a character.

Mar 8, 2014 1:57 PM

SetsukoHara said:
judals said:

The display of power was something necessary considering the number of big players that were involved in this war, and it was also the famous "pirate's summit" that Ace told Luffy about when he gave him the Vivre card in Alabasta. So, this arc had two purposes : showing the big players and Ace rescue. The display of power was also the point of this arc.

But with that being said, if you couldn't feel any despair from Luffy and the WB commander, you probably weren't watching it seriously, I don't even know how many times the name Ace was said during this arcs, but it truly show it was the main focus of those fighters. Luffy went way beyond his limit (hormones injection), fought one of his best friend (Coby), his grandfather. All those, were emotional scene that weren't just there just to fangasm over a character.

It's kind of obvious that Judals views One Piece's biggest flaw as: not being HxH.
All the villains are the same? Yeah right! You'd have to be deaf and dumb to even begin to think that.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
I conclude that this theme is in fact good!

Mar 8, 2014 2:00 PM

The display of power being the point of the arc is why I considered it bad.
I don't like the mindless direction the series is going in, personally.

Yes, shouting "EIISUUU" forever like it's his new gomu attack is what makes it seem intense and gets me hooked.
I never stated I liked Hidan's arc because Shika was shouting Asuma senseeii (or did he? I don't [care to] remember)

Have you not read my previous posts, I could NOT take these scenes seriously due to their predictability and lack of good execution.
"I did not enjoy it because I couldn't take it seriously"
"you did not enjoy it, you must have not been taking it seriously"

Umm, okay.

Mar 8, 2014 2:00 PM

judals said:

@Solblade, yes. NEAR the end. None of the cases I mentioned were close. Hence, the bad guys win.
As for Shock value, if overused, it can be seen as a cheap trick, but in itself it's not bad. People quickly dismiss it as "for the sake of shock value" quickly. Not always the case. IMO

Ugh I give up. I cannot keep up with 4-5 people with quote towers, defending a series I don't even enjoy anymore.

Pretty much, though even if they win it isn't bad during an ending. It depends on how it all goes down.

Those two examples had reasons besides just shocking the viewer (and generated lots of hype). What I meant by shock factor was doing something for the sake of creating shock and nothing else. It should be used to set something up, create atmosphere, etc., but if it does nothing other than create shock then that's a whole different story all together (I only really feel that when it's overused, I rarely dismiss something as pure shock factor).

Mar 8, 2014 2:04 PM

SolBlade said:
judals said:

Pretty much, though even if they win it isn't bad during an ending. It depends on how it all goes down.

Those two examples had reasons besides just shocking the viewer (and generated lots of hype). What I meant by shock factor was doing something for the sake of creating shock and nothing else. It should be used to set something up, create atmosphere, etc., but if it does nothing other than create shock then that's a whole different story all together (I only really feel that when it's overused, I rarely dismiss something as pure shock factor).

I totally understand, just saying that some people dismiss anything remotely shocking or new as "shock value" just as they dismiss any revenge story as "angsty sasuke route" or basically any listing of a plot development under a stereotype even if sometimes it isn't justified which I don't agree with.

Mar 8, 2014 2:18 PM

judals said:

Meaningful in the same way Roger's death was meaninful, they impact the course of the story and characters in a huge way.
"Legal translators and subbers for anime/manga are like the Shichibukai, basically pirates hired by companies to keep other pirates in check."-SuperRed

Mar 8, 2014 2:19 PM

judals said:
The display of power being the point of the arc is why I considered it bad.
I don't like the mindless direction the series is going in, personally.

It isn't the point, it's one aim of this arc.
judals said:

Yes, shouting "EIISUUU" forever like it's his new gomu attack is what makes it seem intense and gets me hooked.
I never stated I liked Hidan's arc because Shika was shouting Asuma senseeii (or did he? I don't [care to] remember)

No, it's just an example of what makes Ace's rescue THE main point of the arc.
judals said:

Have you not read my previous posts, I could NOT take these scenes seriously due to their predictability and lack of good execution.
"I did not enjoy it because I couldn't take it seriously"
"you did not enjoy it, you must have not been taking it seriously"

Umm, okay.

I don't care if you enjoy i or not, and I already know you didn't. All I'm saying is if you didn't feel any sense of despair, you weren't watching it seriously, because it was clearly there.

Mar 8, 2014 2:21 PM

D0FLAMINGO said:
judals said:

Meaningful in the same way Roger's death was meaninful, they impact the course of the story and characters in a huge way.

So the laws of the universe of one piece break the 4th wall to cater for the audience's/author's whims? If a character didn't impact the world, he's invincible and will forever roam the world?

So if, and bear with me, Pell failed to protect Alabasta and blew up anyway, he'd still be alive with us now? just because? That does not make much sense.

Except, he's still alive anyway, so even if there's some magical rule about this 'meaningful death', it's not very consistent anyway.

Mar 8, 2014 2:24 PM

SetsukoHara said:

It isn't the point, it's one aim of this arc.

SetsukoHara said:
The display of power was also the point of this arc.

Have some consistency, mate.

because it was clearly there.

Then by all means, clarify.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (195) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »