Forum Settings
Forums

[Possible Spoilers] Most Overrated/Underrated Anime V. 2

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (195) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
 
#1
Mar 7, 2014 7:25 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 4265
Someone else can make the first suggestion.

Moderator Edit: Please explain your choices and/or discuss other choices. This is not a simple listing thread. Listing posts will be deleted.

Secondly, trolling and insulting other users for whatever reason will not be tolerated. And lastly, trim quote towers and or spoil them when they're a full screen size.
Modified by Tyrel, Jun 6, 2014 1:58 AM
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

 
#2
Mar 7, 2014 7:53 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 11687
Well, might as well start something which is underrated.
Only yesterday.
Easily one of the best Ghibli movies out there today. Great direction (by Takahata), a good bunch of realistic characters and a thought provoking storyline. Shame it doesn't get the same attention as those other kiddy Ghibli movies though
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

 
#3
Mar 7, 2014 7:55 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 11246
Argento Soma
It was well written, full of touching scenes and dialogue, scarce but considerate on fights and every antagonist had an interesting concept. The best part was that the entire conflict of the series was founded upon humanities closed-mindedness.
Furthermore, there was an entire episode devoted to an argument on semantics in which the protagonist didn't appear and it still managed to be one of the most thought provoking parts of the story.
To the last, I grapple with thee; from hell’s heart I stab at thee; for hate’s sake I spit my last breath at thee. Sink all coffins and all hearses to one common pool!
 
#4
Mar 7, 2014 8:13 PM

Online
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 46940
skyzblue said:
Well, might as well start something which is underrated.
Only yesterday.
Easily one of the best Ghibli movies out there today. Great direction (by Takahata), a good bunch of realistic characters and a thought provoking storyline. Shame it doesn't get the same attention as those other kiddy Ghibli movies though

Oh yes I loved that one. It's probably the only one I remember enjoying a lot. (I watched most of the Ghibli when I was 9-13 years old.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆


watch nodame cantabile

recommend me anything!
 
#5
Mar 7, 2014 8:17 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 26478
One Piece is underrated. It's long, which is great, I'll be watching it for another ten years. Great story, characters, world, etc. Large scale story where the anticipation grows every arc, new interesting islands to explore at every stop. It's filers are even enjoyable. 10/10, unless it's in the number 1 rank with a 10.00 score it's underrated.
 
#6
Mar 7, 2014 8:21 PM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 3569
IntroverTurtle said:
One Piece is underrated. It's long, which is great, I'll be watching it for another ten years. Great story, characters, world, etc. Large scale story where the anticipation grows every arc, new interesting islands to explore at every stop. It's filers are even enjoyable. 10/10, unless it's in the number 1 rank with a 10.00 score it's underrated.

Underrated? On a somewhat insignificant site like MyAnimeList yes, but One Piece is a cultural phenomenon in Japan.
 
#7
Mar 7, 2014 8:23 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 26478
Sung-Hwan said:
IntroverTurtle said:
One Piece is underrated. It's long, which is great, I'll be watching it for another ten years. Great story, characters, world, etc. Large scale story where the anticipation grows every arc, new interesting islands to explore at every stop. It's filers are even enjoyable. 10/10, unless it's in the number 1 rank with a 10.00 score it's underrated.

Underrated? On a somewhat insignificant site like MyAnimeList yes, but One Piece is a cultural phenomenon in Japan.
Yeah I'm talking about on MAL. I'm fine with it's rank in Japan.
 
#8
Mar 7, 2014 8:26 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 15153
YorozuyaGinSan said:
Argento Soma
It was well written, full of touching scenes and dialogue, scarce but considerate on fights and every antagonist had an interesting concept. The best part was that the entire conflict of the series was founded upon humanities closed-mindedness.
Furthermore, there was an entire episode devoted to an argument on semantics in which the protagonist didn't appear and it still managed to be one of the most thought provoking parts of the story.


Well, I went from slightly interested to wanting to check this out. So thanks.

Romario3210 said:
Underrated:
Akage no Anne


Yeah, it was brilliant. I didn't finish it, not because I lost interest but because I simply didn't want to end it. I need to correct that, though. Definitely favorite material for me.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
 
#9
Mar 7, 2014 8:27 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 4228
If this thread is made by a mod then it won't be locked. Great.
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
 
Mar 7, 2014 8:27 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 958
IntroverTurtle said:
One Piece is underrated. It's long, which is great, I'll be watching it for another ten years. Great story, characters, world, etc. Large scale story where the anticipation grows every arc, new interesting islands to explore at every stop. It's filers are even enjoyable. 10/10, unless it's in the number 1 rank with a 10.00 score it's underrated.

ikr.
 
Mar 7, 2014 8:28 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 831
IntroverTurtle said:
One Piece is underrated. It's long, which is great, I'll be watching it for another ten years. Great story, characters, world, etc. Large scale story where the anticipation grows every arc, new interesting islands to explore at every stop. It's filers are even enjoyable. 10/10, unless it's in the number 1 rank with a 10.00 score it's underrated.
One Piece lacks romance, so 1/10.

Overrated: Cowboy Bebop
Does not live up to the hype, and episodic anime have bad stories.

Underrated: Gungrave
Amazing story and well developed characters. The 1st episode is bad, but the rest is classic.
 
Mar 7, 2014 8:30 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 26478
wanderingplayboy said:
ikr.
R

Reverb_Shock said:
IntroverTurtle said:
One Piece is underrated. It's long, which is great, I'll be watching it for another ten years. Great story, characters, world, etc. Large scale story where the anticipation grows every arc, new interesting islands to explore at every stop. It's filers are even enjoyable. 10/10, unless it's in the number 1 rank with a 10.00 score it's underrated.
One Piece lacks romance, so 1/10.
No! It would ruin the chemistry of the show.
 
Mar 7, 2014 8:31 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 831
IntroverTurtle said:
wanderingplayboy said:
ikr.
R

Reverb_Shock said:
IntroverTurtle said:
One Piece is underrated. It's long, which is great, I'll be watching it for another ten years. Great story, characters, world, etc. Large scale story where the anticipation grows every arc, new interesting islands to explore at every stop. It's filers are even enjoyable. 10/10, unless it's in the number 1 rank with a 10.00 score it's underrated.
One Piece lacks romance, so 1/10.
No! It would ruin the chemistry of the show.
It can't be perfect without romance. A perfect show would incorporate romance seamlessly, and would make it work in the context of the story. One Piece does not, so it can never be 10/10.
 
Mar 7, 2014 8:32 PM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 3569
Oda has stated somewhere that there would never be romance in OP.
 
Mar 7, 2014 8:33 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 26478
Reverb_Shock said:
IntroverTurtle said:
wanderingplayboy said:
ikr.
R

Reverb_Shock said:
IntroverTurtle said:
One Piece is underrated. It's long, which is great, I'll be watching it for another ten years. Great story, characters, world, etc. Large scale story where the anticipation grows every arc, new interesting islands to explore at every stop. It's filers are even enjoyable. 10/10, unless it's in the number 1 rank with a 10.00 score it's underrated.
One Piece lacks romance, so 1/10.
No! It would ruin the chemistry of the show.
It can't be perfect without romance. A perfect show would incorporate romance seamlessly, and would make it work in the context of the story. One Piece does not, so it can never be 10/10.
Well it already is so you can suck it.

Sung-Hwan said:
Oda has stated somewhere that there would never be romance in OP.
I believe he said only not within the main crew.
 
Mar 7, 2014 8:35 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 831
Haha I like that mentality IntoverTurtle. Fuck what anyone says, my show is the best! I have the same feelings for Steins;Gate lol
 
Mar 7, 2014 8:40 PM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 3569
IntroverTurtle said:
Reverb_Shock said:
IntroverTurtle said:
wanderingplayboy said:
ikr.
R

Reverb_Shock said:
IntroverTurtle said:
One Piece is underrated. It's long, which is great, I'll be watching it for another ten years. Great story, characters, world, etc. Large scale story where the anticipation grows every arc, new interesting islands to explore at every stop. It's filers are even enjoyable. 10/10, unless it's in the number 1 rank with a 10.00 score it's underrated.
One Piece lacks romance, so 1/10.
No! It would ruin the chemistry of the show.
It can't be perfect without romance. A perfect show would incorporate romance seamlessly, and would make it work in the context of the story. One Piece does not, so it can never be 10/10.
Well it already is so you can suck it.

Sung-Hwan said:
Oda has stated somewhere that there would never be romance in OP.
I believe he said only not within the main crew.

So Sanji will never get laid
 
Mar 7, 2014 8:41 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 958
Reverb_Shock said:
It can't be perfect without romance. A perfect show would incorporate romance seamlessly, and would make it work in the context of the story. One Piece does not, so it can never be 10/10.


One Piece is the epitome of man's romance.

Forget about One Piece, if a show doesn't need romance, it can be perfect the way it is. I mean, life isn't all about romance and love doesn't always have to be in the form of two people sexually attracted to each other.
 
Mar 7, 2014 8:41 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 123
Underrated: Gungrave(pretty overlooked anime of badassery), Basilisk(albeit felt rushed at points), Monster(very dark, little to no filler for a decent length, and awesome twists.), and maybe Claymore(pretty much Bleach with women).

Overrated: Clanned(fucking eyes, annoying women. voices, shitty ending etc.) Sword Art Online(shitty fairy arc, unappealing characters, way to melodramatic. I believe it's so popular because it has to do with a video game.)
flaxman85 said:
slice of life = slice of waste my fucking time

brb grown ass men getting a hard on watching little pubescent girls playing music al instrument or doing random shit in school

wtf is this shit

fuckthisgayearth.gif
 
Mar 7, 2014 8:42 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 26478
Reverb_Shock said:
Haha I like that mentality IntoverTurtle. Fuck what anyone says, my show is the best! I have the same feelings for Steins;Gate lol
Exactly!

Sung-Hwan said:
So Sanji will never get laid
You don't need romance to have sex.
 
Mar 7, 2014 8:46 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 18118
Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai: Megami-hen is really underrated. People really should stop comparing it to the source material.
"Kickstarter for Rokujouma physical book is live. Click here to participate."

Current status (10/10): All goal cleared
Stretch goal 3 (18/10): $100,502/85,000
 
Mar 7, 2014 8:47 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 17182
Sung-Hwan said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Reverb_Shock said:
Haha I like that mentality IntoverTurtle. Fuck what anyone says, my show is the best! I have the same feelings for Steins;Gate lol
Exactly!

Sung-Hwan said:
So Sanji will never get laid
You don't need romance to have sex.

so he'll still have sex with Robin or Nami someday?


Sanji deserves the best. Hancock.
They can "Diable Jambe" and "Perfume Femur" their love together.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
I conclude that this theme is in fact good!
 
Mar 7, 2014 8:49 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 26478
RedRoseFring said:
Sanji deserves the best. Hancock.
They can "Diable Jambe" and "Perfume Femur" their love together.
No NTR. He can have Pattie and Carne.
 
Mar 7, 2014 8:50 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 8090
NeoAnkara said:
Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai: Megami-hen is really underrated. People really should stop comparing it to the source material.

Despite that it's my favourite anime of the last year, i don't think that having 8.51 as average score and being the second rated harem in MAL means that it's underrated.
 
Mar 7, 2014 8:51 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 18118
IntroverTurtle said:
RedRoseFring said:
Sanji deserves the best. Hancock.
They can "Diable Jambe" and "Perfume Femur" their love together.
No NTR. He can have Pattie and Carne.
Or he can be with the mermaid in the Fishman Island. You know they like him and he can build harem there.
"Kickstarter for Rokujouma physical book is live. Click here to participate."

Current status (10/10): All goal cleared
Stretch goal 3 (18/10): $100,502/85,000
 
Mar 7, 2014 8:52 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 831
pralan said:
NeoAnkara said:
Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai: Megami-hen is really underrated. People really should stop comparing it to the source material.

Despite that it's my favourite anime of the last year, i don't think that having 8.51 as average score and being the second rated harem in MAL means that it's underrated.
It's only rated that high because it's a sequel though.
 
Mar 7, 2014 8:52 PM
Offline
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 14
Overrated :
Magi: Felt like a very generic magic shounen and I was just forcing myself to watch it most of the time. There were enjoyable moments but it's just not that good. Reminded me of a copycat version of Fairy Tail.

Log Horizon: I literally watched 8 episodes to see something happen. Nothing happens in this anime so I dropped it.

Haruhi: The concept was interesting but the MC was annoying. Also the infamous 8 was super annoying when I was watching this weekly. Was not worth it.

Attack on Titan: I'm not sure on this one since I hate Mecha animes and this feels like mecha wrapped in skin.

Underrated
Hataraku maou - sama: Hilarious and short slice of life/fantasy. Was fun to watch.

Hunter X Hunter 2011: Not sure if this is underrated anymore.

Original FMA: Brotherhood was very good but most people forget how good the original was.
 
Mar 7, 2014 8:53 PM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 758
Naruto is the most underrated anime ever. There are people who genuinely think it's the worst anime of all time, which is absurd. The show has many qualities: memorable characters, the best and most epic fights in shounen, complex and valuable themes, and great character designs. Of course, the anime has many, many flaws, but most people overlook the good things about it.



As for overrated anime, there are tons of them, so I'll just give one, for now: Shingeki no Kyonin. The only good thing about it is the background art, camera angles/movement, and most of the sound aspect.

The story is poorly paced, one minute jumping years forward within a single episode, the next minute spending like 10 episodes for a single battle. The characters are either an archetype or nameless canon-fodder that dies for the sake of shock value. A lot of the world-building is half-assed by having everything explained to you outside of the actual narrative ( which is the same carp Death Note pulled). There is random and unfunny comedy thrown into the show. The animation is inconsistent; one minute having harshly thick outlines, the next minute having a smooth realistic looking face. I could go on and on ...

All of that yet people call it a masterpiece.
 
Mar 7, 2014 8:54 PM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 3569
LoneWolfRain said:
Naruto is the most underrated anime ever. There are people who genuinely think it's the worst anime of all time, which is absurd. The show has many qualities: memorable characters, the best and most epic fights in shounen, complex and valuable themes, and great character designs. Of course, the anime has many, many flaws, but most people overlook the good things about it.



As for overrated anime, there are tons of them, so I'll just give one, for now: Shingeki no Kyonin. The only good thing about it is the background art, camera angles/movement, and most of the sound aspect.

The story is poorly paced, one minute jumping years forward within a single episode, the next minute spending like 10 episodes for a single battle. The characters are either an archetype or nameless canon-fodder that dies for the sake of shock value. A lot of the world-building is half-assed by having everything explained to you outside of the actual narrative ( which is the same carp Death Note pulled). There is random and unfunny comedy thrown into the show. The animation is inconsistent; one minute having harshly thick outlines, the next minute having a smooth realistic looking face. I could go on and on ...

All of that yet people call it a masterpiece.

Naruto (not necessarily Shippuden) is arguably one of the worst anime ever made, and is a prime example of what is wrong with the anime medium in general.

SNK is overrated, but its a great show regardless.
 
Mar 7, 2014 8:55 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 62
Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse is underrated.
It's being compared to Muv Luv Alternative visual novel even though it's two different stories. Of course you're not going to like MLA: Total Eclipse if you compare it with the original MLA.
 
Mar 7, 2014 8:56 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 18118
Reverb_Shock said:
pralan said:
NeoAnkara said:
Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai: Megami-hen is really underrated. People really should stop comparing it to the source material.

Despite that it's my favourite anime of the last year, i don't think that having 8.51 as average score and being the second rated harem in MAL means that it's underrated.
It's only rated that high because it's a sequel though.
It's get that rated because it is just that good. You know from the final episode air and now the score is droping.
"Kickstarter for Rokujouma physical book is live. Click here to participate."

Current status (10/10): All goal cleared
Stretch goal 3 (18/10): $100,502/85,000
 
Mar 7, 2014 8:58 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 26478
NeoAnkara said:
IntroverTurtle said:
RedRoseFring said:
Sanji deserves the best. Hancock.
They can "Diable Jambe" and "Perfume Femur" their love together.
No NTR. He can have Pattie and Carne.
Or he can be with the mermaid in the Fishman Island. You know they like him and he can build harem there.
I thought about that. But I'm not sure we could subject them to that. I don't trust him alone on that island.
 
Mar 7, 2014 8:58 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 17182
Sung-Hwan said:
LoneWolfRain said:
Naruto is the most underrated anime ever. There are people who genuinely think it's the worst anime of all time, which is absurd. The show has many qualities: memorable characters, the best and most epic fights in shounen, complex and valuable themes, and great character designs. Of course, the anime has many, many flaws, but most people overlook the good things about it.



As for overrated anime, there are tons of them, so I'll just give one, for now: Shingeki no Kyonin. The only good thing about it is the background art, camera angles/movement, and most of the sound aspect.

The story is poorly paced, one minute jumping years forward within a single episode, the next minute spending like 10 episodes for a single battle. The characters are either an archetype or nameless canon-fodder that dies for the sake of shock value. A lot of the world-building is half-assed by having everything explained to you outside of the actual narrative ( which is the same carp Death Note pulled). There is random and unfunny comedy thrown into the show. The animation is inconsistent; one minute having harshly thick outlines, the next minute having a smooth realistic looking face. I could go on and on ...

All of that yet people call it a masterpiece.

Naruto is arguably one of the worst anime ever made, and is a prime example of what is wrong with the anime medium in general.

SNK is overrated, but its a great show regardless.


Sakura > entire female Clannad cast (and that one dude that....wait, where there any other guys apart from MC Bland and Superhara?).
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
I conclude that this theme is in fact good!
 
Mar 7, 2014 9:02 PM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 758
Sung-Hwan said:

Naruto (not necessarily Shippuden) is a prime example of what is wrong with the anime medium in general.
How so?

Sung-Hwan said:

SNK is overrated, but its a great show regardless.
More like mediocre regardless.
 
Mar 7, 2014 9:07 PM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 3569
LoneWolfRain said:
Sung-Hwan said:

Naruto (not necessarily Shippuden) is a prime example of what is wrong with the anime medium in general.
How so?

Sung-Hwan said:

SNK is overrated, but its a great show regardless.
More like mediocre regardless.

Terrible story, mostly awful cast of underdeveloped and annoying characters, bland animation, worst openings in existence (it's like shouting over bad animation), half of its episodes are all repulsive filler.

The only thing the original Naruto series did right, which was ironically lost in Shippuden, was creating a fantastic antagonist like Orochimaru. He used to be on my favorite characters list until later in Shippuden.
 
Mar 7, 2014 9:17 PM
Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 12602
Overrated : One Piece
 
Mar 7, 2014 9:18 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 26478
worldeditor11 said:
Overrated : One Piece
You sunova bitch.
 
Mar 7, 2014 9:21 PM
Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 5252
Overrated - Index/Railgun, One piece, LOTGH (I'll admit I dropped this 15 or so eps in), Nisemonogatari, Cowboy Bebop, SNK, ZnT, K, Psycho Pass and almost all of Ghibili's movies.

Underrated - Magi (not in terms or ratings but it gets a lot of flak for not following the manga fully)
 
Mar 7, 2014 9:24 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 18118
^Which ZnT you are talking about here?
"Kickstarter for Rokujouma physical book is live. Click here to participate."

Current status (10/10): All goal cleared
Stretch goal 3 (18/10): $100,502/85,000
 
Mar 7, 2014 9:25 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 62
NeoAnkara said:
^Which ZnT you are talking about here?

I think he's talking about Zetsuen no Tempest since he dropped it which I don't agree with.
 
Mar 7, 2014 9:29 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 17182
Sung-Hwan said:
LoneWolfRain said:
Sung-Hwan said:

Naruto (not necessarily Shippuden) is a prime example of what is wrong with the anime medium in general.
How so?

Sung-Hwan said:

SNK is overrated, but its a great show regardless.
More like mediocre regardless.

Terrible story, mostly awful cast of underdeveloped and annoying characters, bland animation, worst openings in existence (it's like shouting over bad animation), half of its episodes are all repulsive filler.


^That sounds exactly like Clannad.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
I conclude that this theme is in fact good!
 
Mar 7, 2014 9:32 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 24367
I don't like to call anime overrated since it's just a made up term for stuff that you didn't like while other did but a new thread so whatever.

Overrated:


One Piece. Slow story progression, repetitive narrative and a sense of discontinuity in it due to some episodic arcs, cast full of annoying characters, one dimensional main characters, lack of character development, easily has the worst fights in any battle anime I've seen, vapid and repetitive dialogue, ugly art, exaggerated over the top expressions ruins certain scenes, horrible stale humor for the most part but when it is good, it's really good, misplace comedy in serious situations, lack of interesting and compelling villains and has the worst written character in Shounen Jump history Sanji.


Welcome to the NHK. shitty review


Black Lagoon. Shitty review #2


RAINBOW 二舎六房の七人: This anime severely disappointed me I was so happy while watching it thinking I am gonna have a new favorite anime but nope it drastically went down hill after ep 11, the main character suddenly became an illogical idiot and then the second part of the anime happened where there is no plot and the main villain of the first part get handled pretty easily and then they move to character arcs where basically every character in their own respective arc have a dream or something they want to accomplish but in the end of the arc the fail to do it but the rest of the friends help that said character to move on or to deal with it and then repeat that formula in every single arc [ Problem happens > Problem get solved > repeat] so much wasted potential. The first half was pretty good.



Sakurasou no pet : The anime contained high doses of forced melodrama of the worst kind, problems that could have been handled with just talking were dragged out for the sake of drama, most of the cast try to act as unreasonably as possible to invoke that said drama. It had terrible character development, even though I hate Sorata with all my heart, I would agree that he received adequate development, the same can't be said for the other main characters. Shiina who is just your generic dandere ( emotionless type girl) was mainly used for fan-service, humor and for some type of new pet fetish. She doesn't have any character traits outside of her archetype and you can tell that author didn't bother with her because he knew people will just like her for her shallow personality. She was sidetracked in the second part of the show to prolong an unnecessary love triangle which the outcome of was painfully obvious as a result she wasn't giving focus, which made her development iffy. She used to only speak mere sentences from time to time but somewhere in the second part, she just bursted into emotions, crying and fully speaking her mind. Which was very awkward and odd, it's felt extremely unrealistic.


The other characters falls into the other commonly known archetypes. ( Jin: the playboy who supposedly has ''feelings'' and doesn't want to ''dirty'' the girl he loves. Misaki the genki girl. Nanami a tsundere. And if you take the whole struggling with failing and what not from Sorata, you will realise he is your generic rom/com protagonist, incompetent, dense, wimp, weak-willed, oblivious to others feelings, hot headed, painfully average and mediocre in everything, etc)

The anime's theme was supposed to be about reality, hard work and failing or something along those along those lines but it was really unrealistic how high Sorata expectations were or his attitude towards certain characters and situations. The anime also contradicted it's theme and itself and characters in the episode before the finale. Please watch that episode and tell me that's not the most cheesy, cringe worthy, appalling, laughably bad and unrealistic episode you have ever seen in your entire life. To be honest even Ano Hana drama was miles better than this.


Eureka 7: The characters were quite horrible. Never have I seen a cast full of unlikable characters, it is crazy that every single character aside from Charles, ray and maybe Talho annoyed the shit out of me. Renton who isn't exactly an original character I have seen his character traits before (whiny, irritating, wimpy, weak and annoyingly idealistic) he had adequate development in his character but while I was watching the show it frustrated me how dumb some of his choices were. Those choices involved Eureka to a great degree which is one of the reason as to why I think their relationship was terrible. I don't get why was the cast of characters so unlikable, it's like the anime was going out of it's way to show how much the Gekkostate was full of obnoxious pricks especially Holland who seems to be a spoiled self-centered brat in the body of a grown man. I didn't find his ''development'' believable, not one bit. Normally when you watch an anime with a plot line like ''boy joins a crew and begin an adventure'' you expect the crew to be likable and fun and w/e but the members of that crew were so indifferent and apathetic towards Renton it was quite disgusting especially when Holland was beating Renton and nobody except for Talho gave a flying fuck. Not to forget the three most annoying and unlikable kids you will ever encounter in anime.

The relationship between Renton and Eureka was really cringe worthy. It wasn't believable or properly developed. It was just there, for the convenience of the plot. From the beginning Eureka was mostly indifferent towards Renton except for when it came to the mecha she operated and quite honestly I don't get why was Renton heads over heels for her, it was really cliche for it to be the love on first sight crap. Eureka only cared for Renton after he left the ship before that she couldn't care less if he died. I thought Renton leaving the ship was pretty logical and believable because the biggest reason that made him stay in that ship was Eureka and after she somewhat rejected him, leaving was the most logical choice and I quite liked that. But even though Renton had a better option to live with Charles and Ray who could have provided him with real happiness he still chose to go back to the ship because of Eureka, I can't describe how much that frustrated me. I don't really understand why he did that. It rendered him leaving in the first place, pointless. The anime just pissed me off, I don't know how I continued watching all of it.


Ano Hana: I didn't like how the drama was handled. Making the characters cry in every emotional scene, made the drama 'forced' and annoying. I also didn't really find it that sad except for Menma's Mom. I wasn't able to like any of the characters except for Anaru which I really liked and was definitely the best written character in the show but not necessarily because I liked her. There were a lot of lazy writing, for example Menema's physical presence which was established from the very first episode but instead of the MC trying to prove her existence with it, the story just dragged out with him expecting the others to simply believe him. The ending was god awful. I wished they would have showed what their life was like after getting rid of their guilt, which hopefully will happen in the movie.



Chihayafuru season 2.

I don't remember why I started Chihayafuru but I remember that I had very low expectations for it since it just didn't look appealing, but it was surprisingly a very enjoyable watch considering it's an anime about a traditional Japanese card game. The best part of the anime and the story as a whole is the beginning of the story when they were kids, I liked that introductory so much, it was really well done and kept me glued to the screen. I liked everything about it, everything seemed fun and interesting but that feeling didn't stay for the rest of the story imo.

The character are decent and likable, it's hard to really dislike one of them. Tachi is especially nicely written. But other than Tachi I feel like the other main characters are not that developed or fleshed out, Chihya character is fairly predictable and her personality is not that original or multidimensional, Arata who is supposed to be one of the main characters has little screen time in the first season, which is one of the reasons I feel like he is not that fleshed out, his kid version was great but his grown up version is not focused on at all. The side character are decent and have adequate development but sometimes I feel like they are wasting time focusing too much on them, it just seems unnecessary at times as a result the story seems like it is dragging out. As a romance fan, I just hate the romance tease in this story, because I know nothing in it will be developed, it's just there and it will probably never have a conclusive ending. I mean it took 100+ chapters for Chihya to realize she is in love with Arata and on that time we just see Tachi suffering with his unrequited love without doing anything about it.

My biggest problem with Chihayafuru is that it's so fucking repetitive, like I said after the introductory arc the fun and enjoyment for me started to decrease little by little, until I reached more than half way in the second season when I realized that nothing huge in terms of development will ever happen. It's repetitive in terms of dialogue, Karuta games, practicing to become better and playing again with the same opponents, having doubts and getting over them and having them again, Tachi suffering, Chihya's obliviousness, the characters constantly reminding us why they love Karuta, etc.

It's sweet and has nice moments where you really feel for the characters and root for them but I honestly don't think it's anything THAT special or good.


Attack on titan. Well to be short. Pacing issues, the characters are god awful especially Eren, the dialogue, lack of death for important characters, etc.


Underrated


Yahari SNAFU: It's really good mainly because of the MC. Hachiman is gotta be the best rom/com MC that I ever had the pleasure of watching. He was just amazingly written.

It's manages to execute the common trope cliches of rom/com in such a tasteful manner with a lovely cynic tone, it just points out how terrible the common cliches are. It has well written and witty dialogues and monologues that you will never find in your usual generic rom/com. Other characters are also decent, and their was a good romance build up.

How Japan views the anime: ( I asked symbv)

The biggest complaint is how fast pace they adapt the LN. The anime jumped A LOT OF THINGS in Summer leaving only the summer camp, for example. Other than that it is just personal preference on character and art. General opinion pretty good --I think the MC resonates with a lot of watchers even though sometimes it is so real that they feel uncomfortable.


Gai Rei Zero: Great show, nice OST that fitted the atmosphere of the show, filled with likable cast, multidimensional MC's, incredible action scenes, a well developed relationship between the two main characters, nice sense of mystery, interesting weapon concepts and a great style of storytelling. I feel like it done a lot of things right, so I expected a higher rating.



REAL.

It's a manga but I thought it was worth the mention.

REAL was/is a very interesting read to say the least, never would I have thought that a manga about wheelchair basketball would be so intense and captivating where you would really connect with characters . It's filled with well written relatable characters that makes you wonder if this is just fiction or based on a true story, they are three dimensional and fairly complex and deep. There were certain moments where I almost broke down in tears because the scene I was reading was simply too intense. It just shows how harsh reality is, where there is no room for fantasies. How your social statue and your ''fake'' relationship could disappear in an instant.

You watch the characters as they develop, their happy moments, their darkest moments, their despair. The drama is mature, there is no melodrama and no sudden sob stories shoved in your face. It handles the issues of disability in Japan rather well. The manga doesn't fall into convention, it doesn't fall into the stereotypical moments in both drama and sport.

The art is magnificent and beautifully detailed, it is the most realistic art that I have come across. It's simply beautiful. It makes you experience the atmosphere of the situation without the need to say words. I also loved the comedy in the show it was nice and I also liked the NBA references. All in all REAL is an excellent manga.



There are others but I forgot.
Modified by tsudecimo, Mar 7, 2014 9:36 PM
 
Mar 7, 2014 9:34 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 2161
RedRoseFring said:
Sung-Hwan said:
LoneWolfRain said:
Sung-Hwan said:

Naruto (not necessarily Shippuden) is a prime example of what is wrong with the anime medium in general.
How so?

Sung-Hwan said:

SNK is overrated, but its a great show regardless.
More like mediocre regardless.

Terrible story, mostly awful cast of underdeveloped and annoying characters, bland animation, worst openings in existence (it's like shouting over bad animation), half of its episodes are all repulsive filler.


^That sounds exactly like Clannad.

Stop bullying DE redrose or otherwise he will run away only to cry about how MAL users are plebs.
 
Mar 7, 2014 9:41 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 18118
@tsundecimo

You are awfully dedicated to write that much text.
"Kickstarter for Rokujouma physical book is live. Click here to participate."

Current status (10/10): All goal cleared
Stretch goal 3 (18/10): $100,502/85,000
 
Mar 7, 2014 9:47 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 24367
NeoAnkara said:
@tsundecimo

You are awfully dedicated to write that much text.

No, I'm just an arbiter of anime quality.
 
Mar 7, 2014 9:48 PM
Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 12602
tsudecimo said:
NeoAnkara said:
@tsundecimo

You are awfully dedicated to write that much text.

No, I'm just an arbiter of anime quality.


lololololololololol
 
Mar 7, 2014 9:51 PM
Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 586
RedRoseFring said:
Sung-Hwan said:
LoneWolfRain said:
Naruto is the most underrated anime ever. There are people who genuinely think it's the worst anime of all time, which is absurd. The show has many qualities: memorable characters, the best and most epic fights in shounen, complex and valuable themes, and great character designs. Of course, the anime has many, many flaws, but most people overlook the good things about it.



As for overrated anime, there are tons of them, so I'll just give one, for now: Shingeki no Kyonin. The only good thing about it is the background art, camera angles/movement, and most of the sound aspect.

The story is poorly paced, one minute jumping years forward within a single episode, the next minute spending like 10 episodes for a single battle. The characters are either an archetype or nameless canon-fodder that dies for the sake of shock value. A lot of the world-building is half-assed by having everything explained to you outside of the actual narrative ( which is the same carp Death Note pulled). There is random and unfunny comedy thrown into the show. The animation is inconsistent; one minute having harshly thick outlines, the next minute having a smooth realistic looking face. I could go on and on ...

All of that yet people call it a masterpiece.

Naruto is arguably one of the worst anime ever made, and is a prime example of what is wrong with the anime medium in general.

SNK is overrated, but its a great show regardless.


Sakura > entire female Clannad cast (and that one dude that....wait, where there any other guys apart from MC Bland and Superhara?).


They're about tied for uselessness.
Yoshii Kiria took over as leader of Fairytale and rebuilt it and became one of Tsukunes formidable enemies but let's save that story for another time

Hehe, let me introduce him to you again, kid. This is Shuzen Issa (who is MIA during the final battle), who will become your 'trainer' starting today. You still have much to go if you want to become the headmaster.

Like the two souls have started to become one.
 
Mar 7, 2014 9:58 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 24367
Fundog, do you ever post something that is not relevant to Naruto? just curious.



worldeditor11 said:
tsudecimo said:
NeoAnkara said:
@tsundecimo

You are awfully dedicated to write that much text.

No, I'm just an arbiter of anime quality.


lololololololololol

Indeed.
 
Mar 7, 2014 10:02 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 17210
skudoops said:
Overrated - Index/Railgun, One piece, LOTGH (I'll admit I dropped this 15 or so eps in), Nisemonogatari, Cowboy Bebop, SNK, ZnT, K, Psycho Pass and almost all of Ghibili's movies.

Underrated - Magi (not in terms or ratings but it gets a lot of flak for not following the manga fully)

Railgun yes but Index?Most that can call it good are LN readers and thats because they can fill the holes.

Nisemonogatari just has more fanservice than the rest of the series.Aside from than they are the same.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
 
Mar 7, 2014 10:19 PM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 758
tsudecimo, about your NHK review ...

It was never implied that Megumi's brother recovered from his social anxiety. He indeed still had it. The reason he was able to go out and get the job was because it was his own free will and he was PREPARED to go out and talk to someone, as oppose to when Satou and Misaki barged into his room. It wasn't due to mere hunger that made the guy get off his ass, it was the fact that if he didn't, he would probably die (since Megumi has never been gone for that long and he wouldn't know when she would come back). All in all, his anxiety was not as severe as you portrayed in your review, and it was a lot more than hunger that made the guy do what he did.

And the reason Satou didn't do what that guy did was because he never had to deal with the issue of his actual life being on the line unless he got a job. His parents gave him an allowance.
 
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Top
Pages (195) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »