Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Sep 13, 2009 2:28 PM

Jul 2009
insan3soldiern said:
Psychodrake said:
ezaya said:
Psychodrake said:
ezaya said:
I hope they don't mess up at the remake...

They won't. I can safely say 2.0 was fantastic.

they are changing the story a fair bit, but it is still good/original, and hasn't lost the Evangelion feel.

really?!

well,I'm happy at the ending of the series,,and I hope that I will get the same impression on the movie..

Well, they always have 3.0 and 4.0 to mess up. Lets see how Gainax handle this ;)

As long as you take it as an alternate version of Eva and don't compare them it'll be alright. But, I can't practice what I preach in this case.

Yeah, pretty much. Hopefully they'll do a terrific job of 3.0 and 4.0, I always have faith in Gainax to pull something good. Either way, I'd prefer this remake to be different, or else theres practically no point except the higher budget. Giving Eva fans something new is always a plus, even if they are nostalgic.
Sep 14, 2009 5:07 AM
Jul 2008
Yeah i agree that it is overrated especially for last few episode because they keep on repeating the show over and over again and the show sometime alway has a long pause.And in the end, i dont even know when they fight finish the last angel and there is no good ending....i wish it could finish faster so i can watch other anime...
kayzeSep 14, 2009 5:38 AM
Sep 14, 2009 5:08 AM

Aug 2009
There's no such thing as "overated" in my book.
-Fixing-
Sep 14, 2009 5:44 AM

Apr 2009
I think It has a good ending,,everyone is free to decide their own interpretation on the series ..
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 14, 2009 6:08 AM

Jul 2009
kayze said:
Yeah i agree that it is overrated especially for last few episode because they keep on repeating the show over and over again and the show sometime alway has a long pause.And in the end, i dont even know when they fight finish the last angel and there is no good ending....i wish it could finish faster so i can watch other anime...

Sounds more like ignorance to me.
Sep 14, 2009 11:17 PM

Jun 2009
Psychodrake said:
kayze said:

Yeah, it's alright to not like Eva. But, if you don't even know when they fight the final angel then its hard to take you seriously.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 15, 2009 1:02 AM

Apr 2009
insan3soldiern said:
Psychodrake said:
kayze said:

Yeah, it's alright to not like Eva. But, if you don't even know when they fight the final angel then its hard to take you seriously.

huh>? do they still need to defeat an angel?

is it rei?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 15, 2009 2:37 AM

Jun 2009
ezaya said:
insan3soldiern said:
Psychodrake said:
kayze said:

huh>? do they still need to defeat an angel?

is it rei?

I'm assuming you haven't seen EoE, you should. It's the best part of Eva imo. Anyway the last Angel is in episode 24.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 15, 2009 2:59 AM

Apr 2009
The last angel that I know is Kaoru,,right?
Sep 15, 2009 11:01 PM

Jun 2009
ezaya said:
The last angel that I know is Kaoru,,right?

Yeah, but you should put that in spoilers...

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 16, 2009 12:11 AM

Sep 2007
I hate it cause it's too deep for me
Sep 16, 2009 12:30 AM

Jun 2009
sHsIkuA said:
I hate it cause it's too deep for me

At least your being honest, and your forgiven for being a fan of Minami-ke ,lol.

But, the thing that annoys me is when people call this series trash because it doesn't have alot of action. The action scenes are secondary to the story and, most importantly, the very well fleshed out characters. It's one thing to not like Eva because Asuka is a "bitch", though i'd have to question if the viewer even paid attention to the character development in that case, or because Shinji "whines" to much and ,again, he has very good reasons for that. But to not like the series because it is "boring" means the viewer most likely wasn't looking at the smaller picture.

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 16, 2009 1:55 AM

Apr 2009
Evangelion does not focus on the action,,at first I thought that It's just an ordinary robot fights,,,
Sep 16, 2009 4:38 AM

Jul 2009
ezaya said:
Evangelion does not focus on the action,,at first I thought that It's just an ordinary robot fights,,,

Yeah the action is the first 19 episodes, after that everything goes psycho and confusing. It starts off as Mecha vs Aliens then slowly unravels into the bigger backing plot about why the Angels are actually there.

I suggest everyone who hasn't to watch the End of Evangelion. Its a much better ending than episode 25&26 and covers the last Angel. Theres also a nice (NICE (NOICE(AMAZING))) fight scene.

P.S. Misuzu is an awesome characters ;)
PsychodrakeSep 16, 2009 5:58 AM
Sep 16, 2009 4:55 AM

Apr 2009
Psychodrake said:
ezaya said:

Yeah the action is the first 19 episodes, after that everything goes psycho and confusing. It starts off as Mecha vs Aliens then slowly unravels into the bigger backing plot about why the Angels are actually there.

I suggest you watch End of Evangelion. Its a much better ending than episode 25&26 and covers the last Angel. Theres also a nice (NICE (NOICE(AMAZING))) fight scene.

P.S. Misuzu is an awesome characters ;)

thanks!! but I already finished end of evangelion,,and sad to say that I get confused..hahah,,so many questions that I can't answer..

thanks again for misuzu..heheh^^
Sep 16, 2009 6:38 PM

Aug 2009
End of Evangelion. I felt mentally abused after i watched this is was like being molested by over 9000 uncle anons all at once
Sep 17, 2009 6:44 AM

Jul 2009
Strolgrom said:
End of Evangelion. I felt mentally abused after i watched this is was like being molested by over 9000 uncle anons all at once

You may just become an hero.
Nov 24, 2009 8:16 PM

Aug 2009
Evangelion overrated? I think not. Eva is the most complex, profound and deep anime i have ever seen, a masterpiece.

Hideaki Anno said that Evangelion is an expression of his life and that he was trying to burn his feelings into film in making it. If you think Evangelion is overrated , just look around. Look at the profound, undenyable impact Eva has made on anime and on the lives of countless people.

Anyway, Eva is usually called "overrated" by pretentious trolls who are just frustrated that they didn't initially understand the ending and would rather takes shots at a it than do a little work researching/analysing it. It's funny how none of these people can ever logically debate why they think Evangelion is "overrated" or isn't deep.
Ikari_Shinji_kunNov 24, 2009 8:24 PM
Nov 29, 2009 6:57 PM
Aug 2009
”KyuuA4” said:
Eva sucks, actually.

well, why do you think this?

”Monad” said:
Now if you just couldn't really get in to it's world and you were watching with a more carefree attitude, just sitting there and thinking "O my God that Sinji is such a pussy" "That Asuka bitch never shut ups" "O look Rei naked" and staff like that, and you think that those fights with Angels and staff is what it is about, then Evangelion will seem like the biggest piece of crab you ever saw.

When I first watched it, I couldn't identify its depth/visual meaning, but I still enjoyed it very much because even on a superficial level it's great IMO.

[[[As i said before Evangelion is not about the big mecha fights or even it's philosophical questions and symbolisms. Those are just there to help. It's really about the psychological aspect. Is about making you feel strange feelings, to depress you, confuse you and generally make you a little crazy.]]]

It's not just about the psychological aspect, it's about all these: a great mecha adventure, a satire of the mecha genre, a story about depression, a story about adults/loneliness, and an expression of Anno's life. (These are NGE's levels of depth.)

”Monad” said:
It's a love or hate anime. If you feel it, you will say it's a masterpiece.

Well, there are people who don't hate it or love it. Plus, this is only one aspect that's a deciding factor for people who despise it or love it.

”Monad” said:
If you don't, you will probably say it's shit.
The overrated line could go for every anime that has fans anyway. You can't expect something to be loved by everyone.

I agree with you on this one.

”HooHiraiBunny” said:
And it's ranked #130, for a series well-known like Evangelion it's clearly a bad rank.

Probably because the vast majority of people who've seen NGE don't understand it.

”Hybrid00”It only sucks if you're to stupid to understand it.[/quote said:

This is true for many people.

”PsajdakRahXephon” said:
>>>>>>>>>> NGE

That's fine if you liked Rah better, but Rah certainly isn't as deep and doesn't have as much visual meaning; Rah is merely superficial, while NGE has 4 or 5 levels of depth. Rah is clearly a copy of NGE also.

”Haylias” said:
Typical elitist "you don't understand my anime thats why you don't like it bawww!" bs Eva fan. Honestly, it is good, but it is highly overrated

Then state why it's overrated in a logical way rather than blurting out your opinion.
Dec 2, 2009 3:26 PM

Sep 2009
Ok so lets get one or two things out of the way.
1) just finished the series
2) have NOT watched EOE yet which is why i am holding off any ratings on the show untill i have.

I started off this anime ABSOLUTELY enthralled. As previously stated for something that came out mid 1990's it was visually groundbreaking. The character design and development are absolutely amazing. To someone looking in depth there are so many underlying themes that can really speak to you

First i wanna address episodes 1-24.
Aside from the amazing and groundbreaking artwork the series has, there is my favorite underlying theme that seems to be missed (this is the only discussion on the series i have read so please dont flame me if this has been discussed before). The way each character is dealing with there personal demons of abandonment and lonliness. Think if someone had just hugged Asuka and told her they cared about her, or that they loved her and really meant it. Each character is just reaching out for acceptance and affection completely missing the fact that there are people directly in front of them that, if they let them, would show them the affection they desire.
Now you cant deny the fact that you have a buncha 14 y/o's put in horribly stressfull situations their entire life.. There are going to be issues..
This is how i perceive it anyway.. i may be completely wrong again havent really given myself time to think to indepth yet.

Now Episode 25-26.
Again keeping in mind that i have not watched EOE yet. How do i put this.. these 2 episodes are completely pointless gibberish IMO. and before i get the "you just didnt understand it" BS please keep in mind this is my opinion only. Anyone can stand on there self made stage and spout complete nonsensical garbage and call it artistic or meaningful. The difference in weather its accepted or not is how big you were able to build your stage. This writer of this anime was able to build his stage with episodes 1-24 and was actually able to get a good point across in those episodes. He then took the opportunity of having an audience to fill the end with complete crap. Kinda like the movie the departed.. Basically im gonna make a brilliant film, completely screw up the ending, and have people think im brilliant.

So to get to the point. is it overrated...? Only to those who overrate it
Best anime ever...? NO
Amazing, Groundbreaking, ECT...? Yes
Should it be in the grouping as one of the best anime series, as a whole..? yeah id say so. but again.. that my opinion.

sorry for being long winded.
ShamelessDec 2, 2009 4:49 PM
Dec 2, 2009 3:28 PM

May 2008
But of course it's overrated.

Dec 2, 2009 3:31 PM

Mar 2008
I think it's EXAGGERATED.
I guess it's okay though.
At times, it could be confusing.
Though I understood what the characters are going through.
Just not exactly.
Dec 2, 2009 6:48 PM

Apr 2009
Evangelion for me is also an underrated anime,,only few people wants to research about the true meaning of the series..and what Anno really wants to tell to the viewers...

But for me there is no other anime that can surpass the impact of this anime to me..Death note,Geass and FMA can compete,But they can't surpass eva

about the title??

Neon Genesis Evangelion?= New Beginning of Good News?..Just my Opinion,,hehe

^^
Dec 4, 2009 1:37 PM
Aug 2009
The ones that I thought came the closest to being as good as NGE were:
Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen
Furi Kuri
Akira
Dec 4, 2009 2:01 PM

Aug 2009
Overrated? Not by a longshot, classics tend to be Underrated thanks to the new generation of viewers having diferent tastes than the previous generation...with all industries (movies, music, games, anime) it happens the same way.
Classics will however remain forever in the minds of certain generations.

Btw Anime that are fresh and new tend to be Overrated though, but with time they will slowly be forgotten (most of them anyway)
Dec 4, 2009 2:46 PM

Oct 2009
lol nah, if anything it's underrated... for fucks sake it barely beat out Elfen Lied.

I can understand thinking that it's too dark and depressing, and I can kinda understand not getting the ending (EoE is the real one, the last 2 episodes suck because the studio ran out of money), but seriously this anime is awesome.
Jan 4, 2010 10:00 AM

Jul 2009
Dcm18 said:
Overrated? Not by a longshot, classics tend to be Underrated thanks to the new generation of viewers having diferent tastes than the previous generation...with all industries (movies, music, games, anime) it happens the same way.

Btw Anime that are fresh and new tend to be Overrated though, but with time they will slowly be forgotten (most of them anyway)

We're in the moe generation now unfortunately. Why do you think Mari has been included into the series? She will be interesting I imagine, but her general character design fits in with this generation of anime as a whole.

I agree with the last 2 episodes being pretty rubbish though I liked certain parts, as a whole EoE is the ending you want to see to complete the series.

Also how the hell is Eva just beating Elfen Lied? How can people find Eva TOO dark and sad yet find Elfen Lied perfectly fine (A series that tries its best to force darkness and sadness using death and nudity)? An 8.3 is good, but so many shows that don't deserve it have gotten higher scores on MAL. Eva is probably the top of everything in Japan in comparison, they seem to absolutely love it if you see some of the events and DVD sales. If only some of the video games came over here ;(
PsychodrakeJan 4, 2010 12:21 PM
Jan 4, 2010 9:06 PM

Apr 2009
Psychodrake said:
Dcm18 said:

We're in the moe generation now unfortunately. Why do you think Mari has been included into the series? She will be interesting I imagine, but her general character design fits in with this generation of anime as a whole.

I agree with the last 2 episodes being pretty rubbish though I liked certain parts, as a whole EoE is the ending you want to see to complete the series.

Also how the hell is Eva just beating Elfen Lied? How can people find Eva TOO dark and sad yet find Elfen Lied perfectly fine (A series that tries its best to force darkness and sadness using death and nudity)? An 8.3 is good, but so many shows that don't deserve it have gotten higher scores on MAL. Eva is probably the top of everything in Japan in comparison, they seem to absolutely love it if you see some of the events and DVD sales. If only some of the video games came over here ;(

I sill also wonder why there are so many people who hate eva..well elfen lied is a bit overrated for me(if you remove the gore and nudity it's useless)
Apr 2, 2010 12:47 AM

Mar 2009
It's really good, deep and complex but the emo-ness was just way too much and unnecessary. Plus, though character development was well done, imao there's no interesting character. Except for maybe, Asuka. Overall, I wouldn't exactly call it overrated since more people are into emo stuff compared to me. In short, it was good- except for the emo-ness.
Apr 4, 2010 10:33 PM

Aug 2009
Monad said:
As i said before Evangelion is not about the big mecha fights or even it's philosophical questions and symbolisms. Those are just there to help. It's really about the psychological aspect. Is about making you feel strange feelings, to depress you, confuse you and generally make you a little crazy.

Now if you just couldn't really get in to it's world and you were watching with a more carefree attitude, just sitting there and thinking "O my God that Sinji is such a pussy" "That Asuka bitch never shut ups" "O look Rei naked" and staff like that, and you think that those fights with Angels and staff is what it is about, then Evangelion will seem like the biggest piece of crab you ever saw.

It's a love or hate anime. If you feel it, you will say it's a masterpiece. If you don't, you will probably say it's shit.
But in general there is a reason many people love it. The overrated line could go for every anime that has fans anyway. You can't expect something to be loved by everyone.

Good Comment.

I don't think evangelion is overrated, it is simply a masterpiece. One of the best mecha story i ever see, especially those psychological things,mecha design, religion....which make evangelion unique and completely different from common mecha series and mecha fighting.
Apr 4, 2010 11:15 PM

Apr 2009
Evangelion is the only anime for me that teaches many values in life that other anime don't have..
Apr 5, 2010 4:31 AM
Jan 2009
Well it deserves the hype and stuff IMO. Best anime ever IMO.
Apr 6, 2010 2:47 AM
Feb 2010
Eva is def not overrated. The biggest issue with the show is that gainax had no money to make the series the way they wanted. The company was basically out of money for episodes 25 and 26, and those episodes are completely skip-able. The first movie was intended to be the end, but again they ran out of money, and didn't end up finishing it until 1997.

For people who are confused, Evangelion has a SHIT TON of symbolism. I would recommend spending about 30 minutes on wikipedia reading about the story of adam and lilith, sephiroths, and early christinan/jewish mythology. Also helps if you look up some of the commentary on certain parts of the series.

Most of the people that have a problem with this series probably do because Hideaki Anno is notorious for changing his mind about shit, and leaving stuff up to the viewer to interpret. A lot of what is being changed in the rebuild is to make the show more accessible to people, as well as hashing out some of the more ambiguous relationships between characters.

Also understand that this show can be interpreted from the standpoint that Hideaki Anno came up with it durring 4 years of depression. So in a way the emotions in the show are a reflection of personal experience.

This is not a show I feel can be fully appreciated without doing a bit of grunt work... I guess there are pro's and cons to that, but I don't recommend this show to anime newbies unless I can explain some stuff about it first.

P.S. The reason I know all this shit about the show is because when I watched it I had a lot questions that needed answering, and for people like me who are wiki addicts, I was able to resolve a lot of what I felt were issues with this show. Anno was trying to do a very difficult thing, and has managed to create what I will consider a timeless masterpiece dispite financial issues, bad show scheduling, ect. This show was set up for failure, yet it managed to (eventually) catapult gainax to one of the top studios.
May 15, 2010 7:00 PM

Aug 2008
I finally watched it and can see why it is important in how it has influenced anime, but the anime itself is seriously over-rated. No wonder my friend wants to sell it.
Jun 12, 2010 4:29 PM

Dec 2009
eva is overrated
Jun 14, 2010 6:43 AM

Apr 2009
dpjdm said:
eva is overrated

Hell no! ^^
Jun 14, 2010 1:32 PM

Feb 2010
[Chris face]Leave Eva alone.[/Chris face]

What can i say about it -best series ever. I've rewatched it and loved it twice more. I fell into philosophical thoughts for 6 hours aftwer watching it first time, the same was after second time.

Cant wait for 3rd and 4th movie, cuz, i'm sure, they'll be mindblowing.

If some1 thinks its overrated - go back to your ecchi anime or w/e you're watching.
LUL
Sep 26, 2010 9:14 PM
Jul 2008
Overrated? Yes. But it still a petty good anime I enjoy many time. Yeah it does get a lot of praise.Wouldn't consider it as the best anime ever. Hell you got to admit it did help people get into anime more.Also Evangelion is one of,those anime I like to watch again and again.
HellobeeSep 26, 2010 9:19 PM
Jan 6, 2011 5:08 AM
Feb 2010
Actually,I really enjoyed the show :D
Jan 13, 2011 7:30 PM

Jun 2010
Best ever? No. One of the best? Yes.
Jan 15, 2011 7:09 PM

Jan 2011
This series lost me somewhere in the middle and I had to force myself to watch it to the end in a state of stupor. As expected, I'm now feeling depressed because I felt like I have taken absolutely nothing out of the entire series. I have yet to watch the EoE movie which is the supposedly "true ending" but I'll need to find the motivation to do that first and I have to say, I'm really lacking the motivation to do that at the moment.

Perhaps I'm just to shallow to understand the "complexities" of this series. Or perhaps it was just poorly directed so the points never came across clearly on the first viewing? Whatever the case, I'm going to have to research around just to attain an acceptable understanding of this series.

Guess this show just wasn't my cup of tea. Sorry, but I have to say I enjoyed shows like Code Geass and Gundam 00 a lot more.

Couldn't help but chuckle at this comment whilst browsing around, trying to understand Eva.

"Agreed Evangelion sucks.

Fortunately, Gainax has apologized for it thoroughly by giving us Gurren-Lagann."
Mar 18, 2011 11:43 AM

Aug 2010
This post is present at NGE forums as well. Many statements here are from "evangelion overrated ??!!" forum at NGE's section.

As a RahXephon fan I feel the need to ask for you guys (fans or non fans of NGE), why do you think NGE is so much superior in comparision to Rah. It would be nice to hear arguments here since looks like most of NGE fans bashes Rah for really stupid reasons, without many convincing arguments to sustain their point of view. Let me explain.
Obs: I am not questioning NGE’s quality, I am not denying its influence or something like that, and I didn’t say it is inferior to Rah either, even if I like Rah more( I’m not crazy, statistically speaking there are like 50 NGE fans per 1 Rah fan). I just want to know why so much hate, since I failed to see where is some concrete reason for so much hate.

Our friend here says:

”PsajdakRahXephon” said:
>>>>>>>>>> NGE

So comes another and says:

Tabris-kun said:
That's fine if you liked Rah better, but Rah certainly isn't as deep and doesn't have as much visual meaning; Rah is merely superficial, while NGE has 4 or 5 levels of depth. Rah is clearly a copy of NGE also.

Really? Do you really think NGE is better than Rah just because you think that the 1st one is deeper than the other?What depht means to you? That's just a poor/ laughable excuse. Saying that show A is better than show B just because is “deeper” isn’t right (Lucky Star, Kon! and most moe comedies are shallow, but hey I know tons of people who prefer these comedies over NGE and Rah). And one more thing, just because NGE entered on the characters mind (psychological) doesn’t mean that is deeper than the others who didn’t enter into the characters mind.

Tabris-kun said:
"NGE" :When I first watched it, I couldn't identify its depth/visual meaning, but I still enjoyed it very much because even on a superficial level it's great IMO.

Couldn't this statement be valid for Rah too? I mean the 1st time you watched NGE you didn't understand everything either, but you understood after rewatching. Yet you say Rah is "shallow" (for me it's implicit you said that) after watching one time (if you rewatch it, maybe you could identify it's depth, don't you think? Or is this valid only and exclusively for NGE?)

Another thing that bothers me is that many Eva fans seems to treat RahXephon fans like some kind of idiots just because they like Rah more. The most common excuse is that we, Rah fans, failed to understand NGE’s plot (that’s so not true). I like NGE and I had no major problems to understand it (maybe a bit, but I looked for some answer on the net, currently rewatching for better understanding) but I think Rah is superior in terms of direction, coherent plotline, cast and mainly ending, not to mention it was more fulfilling than NGE (watched both animes twice, and yes I’ve seen NGE movies, EoE is indeed awesome, I have to rewatch it cause it’s been so long since I’ve seen it), so what? Does that make me mentally inferior to someone who like NGE better? Really when you post something to answer this post, do not treat me like I if I am some kind of jerk. One thing that I learned is that NGE fans tends to despise everything bad that people says about NGE (if someone says that the story sucks, the answer will be on 99,99% of the cases: you are a idiot and didn’t understand the masterpiece brilliant best story ever made by humankind that NGE is or you didn’t like the direction), but when its time to say bad things about Rah, ohh boy EVA fans are excellent on bashing it with their selfish, and often poor, opinions, even if someone says otherwise, no matter what.

@Ezaya: stop trolling on Rah’s forum ok. How can you possibly say that Rah’s story sucks without even finishing it? Your posts on Rah’s forum insulted me, as a Rah’s fan, you know? (“It's impossible to understand Evangelion if you can't figure this [RahXephon] out.”)? You’re still watching Rah and it is far from finishing it!! I’m fine with those which didn’t like Rah cause they think the plot and the cast is boring, with a bad pacing and etc, and I accept that, even because you’re free to think whatever you want, but what I can’t accept is that someone that didn’t even have the decency to finish it could possibly have an formed opinion about the story as a whole. Grow up, really.

Plus, accordingly to MAL stats, something around 60,000 people watched NGE but only 2,150 dropped (3,5% drop rate), but Rah, around 12,000 watched but 1,230 dropped (10,2% drop rate). Wow, huge difference. The reason for that is it is not hard to find someone who gave a 10 for NGE and dropped Rah after a couple of eps, giving it a low score (a 3 or something around that) and tagged as “Fail EVA parody”. What the hell? How can people say Rah failed as a EVA parody after only 3 or 4 eps?! This sounds so stupid 4 me... people should be ashamed of their pathetic attitude.

Another thing is: look for any anime review site on the net. I still haven’t found ANY site that put NGE above Rah. In fact, all sites about anime reviews I visited gave a higher mark to Rah. Of course that doesn’t imply that you have to agree with them, but you do have to see that not only one, but most of the reviews on the net says that is worthy watching Rah, so that means Rah is not just a mere shallow copy, it’s an anime that is great on its own, full of meaning and the story it is complex and well directed (don’t tell me the story of NGE is far superior, I would be rich if I earned a cent everytime someone says this). Example: why does Shinji is the one can pilot EVA? Because the creators want to. Why does Ayato is the one who can pilot Rah? I won’t spoil here, but I can guarantee you that there is an coherent and believable explanation for this. Example 2: What are Angels and where they came from? Who knows… What are Mu and where they came from? It is explained on the middle eps (yeah the explanation for their existence is preety lame, but at least it does have one). What was the purpose of Bahbein foundation, why does Tokyo Jupiter exist, who is Mishima Reika, WTF happened at the ending? My friend, if you don’t know the answers then I can guarantee you that you failed miserably to understand Rah’s story. I have much more examples here but I won’t write it cause I already wrote a lot. If anyone wants to know more, feel free to ask, but don’t believe the majority (Rah it is indeed well written and well directed, but gets preety dismissed for some really annoying reasons).

Overral I am not saying Rah is original, and I didn’t say that Rah is superior (unlike most fans, I do respect people’s opinions; I am not the type of fan that starts saying some bland excuse to justify the reason I prefer an anime over another one; on this case, Rah over NGE). It’s all right not to like Rah, or NGE, all I need is that someone who can answer my questions without using fanboyish statements as an argument (“Ahh is deeper, ahh is more entertaining, ahh because it came first, Rah only copied, ahh because you’re too stupid to understand it blablabla”).

”HooHiraiBunny” said:
And it's ranked #130, for a series well-known like Evangelion it's clearly a bad rank.

Tabris-kun said:
Probably because the vast majority of people who've seen NGE don't understand it.

Bad rank? Nah that’s an ok rank (today the rank is even worse). Just because is well-know that doesn’t mean that is a great anime (not going to give u examples of how many mediocre animes are well-know, but we all know there are a lot of these animes nowadays). There are superior stuff out there IMO. And even more people who’ve seen Rah don’t understand it either (but hey, who cares about Rah, don’t you think? ¬¬)

”Hybrid00” said:
It only sucks if you're to stupid to understand it.

Brilliant argument fanboy.

”Haylias” said:
Typical elitist "you don't understand my anime thats why you don't like it bawww!" bs Eva fan. Honestly, it is good, but it is highly overrated

Tabris-kun said:
Then state why it's overrated in a logical way rather than blurting out your opinion.

Honestly, I don't see the logical way you justified that NGE is better than Rah, Tabris-Kun. All you said is that NGE is more deeper and thats it. Just a poor excuse (read what I wrote at this post).

Psychodrake said:

People who just didn't understand it generally - Thats fine. It'll definitely seem overrated to these people. But the people who know the story will disagree with them.
People who worship the series are just as bad.

I totally agree with you man. I think that this statement is valid for every anime out there.
GuigasApr 28, 2012 8:33 PM
Mar 18, 2011 1:38 PM

Jun 2009
@ Animeguigas

Even though I personally prefer Eva over, well, pretty much every anime I've seen, I still consider Rahxephon to be a very good series in it's own right. I think the similarities between the two are pretty much just on the surface, as the execution and over all plot are very different between the two.

Look, there is no denying that Eva turned out far different from what it was intended to be and it's a fact that Anno's depression was a large part of why the series took it's more psychological turn (of which the series is famous for, I might add) and Rahxephon, from what I remember, had a more consistent plot structure and had arguably more likable leads in the form of Ayato and Haruka when you compare them to, say, Shinji and Asuka.

But, and this becomes way more apparent to me on multiple re-watches of Eva, that the series always focused more on the characters than plot. It's just that this becomes far more apparent in the later half. I'll always argue, though, that the final two episodes of the series just take the overall main theme of "self" and focus on it and only it. Which, to me, was an excellent and interesting idea. Of course, EoE takes all this to a whole other level.

I think, if anything, you've made me realize that I should re-watch Rahxephon at some point. I'll just finish off by saying I really enjoyed the series, even though I've never quite understood the comparisons, and hate, Eva fans always seem to throw at it.

- Geralt of Rivia
Mar 21, 2011 10:43 AM

Jul 2009
My personal opinion on the matter that is currently at hand...

Stop comparing two series. Period. Unless RahXephon is actually an attempt at beating out Eva, even then, I condemn comparing series at all.

Everything is subject to opinion. Every little detail. Example,

7 - Visuals and Setting (Rah easily wins here)

I know it is unfair to make this comparison since NGE is from 1995 and Rah, 2002 (7 years is indeed a huge difference for animation quality), plus Rah was animated by BONES (they are well-know because of their top-notch animation, smooth and clean art and Rah is no exception, it is gorgeous to look.) NGE is outdated by today’s standards.

What if I said that the charm of Eva's older animation quality and style made it more interesting in my eyes? I'm not saying it does, but I could easily and confidently argue that I prefer Eva's style and animation to more modern anime for multiple different reasons. Although there is a reason they're making the re-build movies (Apart from the moniez). Though, I haven't seen RahXephon so I can't really argue it, so I don't want any fans taking my comment as a direct attack at the series as it actually looks quite cool.

When it comes to anime like Eva that HAVE ACTUALLY MADE A BIG IMPACT, people get a little butthurt and just love to call it overrated as though they're some kind of lone wolf rebel with different opinions to everyone else (Surprisingly, Eva gets a lot of flak nowadays). I don't see why people can't just enjoy shows for what is actually good about them instead of turning it into some big popularity contest which honestly, I couldn't care less about.

Although I love discussing anime as much as the next person, even with the odd squabble, it becomes very childish when every show that does well gets put down by people who think their opinion is the one true opinion (Even though there are always tons of haters for high-rated shows).
Mar 25, 2011 3:57 PM

Jan 2011
This anime is so confusing that to this day I still don't think I know everything about it

which is why I love evangelion
"Where will a newborn go from here? The net is vast and infinite" - Motoko Kusanagi
Mar 25, 2011 4:23 PM

Jul 2010
god damn confusing anime xD! last two episodes gave me a headache cos they were so boring. also I remember a part where shinji is in that purple thing and holding this guy (his dad?) and then takes like a whole minute to finally decide to eat his head =.=

and yah, i know theres lots of symbolism and all that and theres meaning and interpretation, but just because its clever, doesnt mean its good. I looked at some meanings on wiki and other sites of poeples interpretation, and ya still boring.

the battles were pretty poor, like there was a huge build up but then the actual battles would end in a couple of minutes. also remember the part where they said that the chances of hitting this diamond like angel with this huge gun would be 0.00000001percent....and yet they were able to kill it anyway =.=!
Mar 30, 2011 8:20 AM

Sep 2010
I don't think its that overrated, isn't because of Evangelion we have figures and a lot of influence from it now.
Heck, I watched it when I was a kid so to me it was like the most amazing thing ever. I don't care about the whole mind fuck either.

Apr 8, 2011 7:04 PM

Mar 2011
Yes this anime is overrated, and this video explains why:

"I'm commander Shepard, and Legend of the Galactic Heroes is my favorite anime in the galaxy"
Apr 16, 2011 11:17 AM

Jul 2009
JohnShepard said:

Some of us like a little realism in our anime. A 14 year old kid isn't going to be happily doing what the father that doesn't love him wants.

If you watched this and expected some shounen crap where a 10 year old saves the world from the evil adults, then you shouldn't have watched it, simple as.

The mindset of "LOL SHINJI IS ANNOYING - OVERRATED ANIME" is completely ridiculous. I mean (Possible spoiler ahead), look at Madoka, Madoka is useless throughout the whole show and she hasn't been given the same treatment.
Apr 16, 2011 1:00 PM

Jun 2009
Psychodrake said:
JohnShepard said:

Some of us like a little realism in our anime. A 14 year old kid isn't going to be happily doing what the father that doesn't love him wants.

If you watched this and expected some shounen crap where a 10 year old saves the world from the evil adults, then you shouldn't have watched it, simple as.

The mindset of "LOL SHINJI IS ANNOYING - OVERRATED ANIME" is completely ridiculous. I mean (Possible spoiler ahead), look at Madoka, Madoka is useless throughout the whole show and she hasn't been given the same treatment.

I haven't seen Madoka so I can't really comment on her or that particular show but I wonder if people hated on Shinji as much when Eva originally came out? What I mean is, since Madoka is a new series and people looking at it in hypo-vision, maybe a few years down the road some person new to anime will pick up Madoka and complain about the things you mentioned.

But, to me, Shinji is probably one of the best male anime characters I've experienced.

- Geralt of Rivia
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Yesterday

59 by NewestPersonHere »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 13, 2007

194 by ToTheGyz »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

CitizenGeek - Mar 27, 2008

245 by ToTheGyz »»
Yesterday, 3:30 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

CitizenGeek - Mar 27, 2008

268 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 17, 4:15 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 10, 2007

290 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 16, 5:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.