Forum Settings
Forums

Do your parents ever ask about/make fun of your anime?

New
Pages (39) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jan 14, 2008 6:11 PM

Sep 2007
I got my younger brother to watch anime a couple months after I started and while I'm away at school, he finds his own genre of anime that he likes best and watches those. My youngest brother, however, only watches the shows my other brother and I practically force onto him XD
Jan 14, 2008 8:31 PM

Feb 2007
My mom is pretty supportive of me watching anime but if she knew how much money I spent on it she would kill me. My dad on the other hand, makes fun of the voices and of me watching the subs. He always says "why can't you watch thing that are in English?" I just shrug at him because I'm tired of yelling at him for making fun of the voices and contently telling me I should watch things in English and not Chinese. It's not Chinese dammit!! Why is it that every time I watch anime he thinks it is Chinese?? I saw that he is not the only parent that thinks this. I think the only anime my brother ever watched with me was DBZ and it was dubbed. He also makes fun of the voices but not as much. He will at least sit and watch it with me if it is dubbed. On second thought he has watched parts of other ones with me, that were subbed but he soon lost interest, so I don't know if that counts. =P
Jan 14, 2008 9:08 PM
Jun 2007
Leon-Gun said:
EarthLover said:
My parents couldn't care less I guess, my mom does makes a bit fun of the stuff I say in japanese and then goes 'I know, u learned it in those cartoons of urs'....
I would laugh if someone inserts random japanese words/phrases in the middle of a conversation. I'm a freak when it comes to that. Either stick to one language or don't talk wth me at all. Spanglish just drives me nuts.

I agree with you. I speak English, not Japanese. Words do not mean anything more in Japanese than they do in English, better to convey my feelings correctly. However when I am alone and I've just accomplished something or am feeling extremely pumped I say "Yatta!" simply because too me it feels like an ideophone that fits better than "All right!" "Finally!" or "Wooooh!" does.

Jan 14, 2008 10:31 PM

Feb 2007
Chikane said:

Mom: -walks in- So, whatcha watching today? More peverted cartoons?
Me: Yeah, Japanese lesbian cartoons.
Mom: You're kidding right?
Me: No.

She doesn't ask about what I watch anymore. Infact she kinda just...leaves the room when she catches me watching anime now. Maybe I shouldn't have been so truthful in my answer? XD But her expression...god that was priceless.

EpiK win that is.
Jan 15, 2008 1:41 AM
Sep 2007
No, my Dad actually loves Hellsing and Death Note.
Jan 15, 2008 3:08 AM

Apr 2007
kimochi said:
Iriya said:
AngelLily said:
MomBest friend thinks I'll marry a Japanese guy and move to Japan.

>_> Same for me, only it'd be a Japanese girl. I get it all the time from my Mom. And my Grandma is racist and hates every other race on the planet for some odd reason and gives me grief for showing interest in Japan. x[

Ouch. My family doesn't have the problem, thankfully. That's a sad thing...

Both my brothers like anime as well, but my elder brother is picky. So far, the only anime he really liked are like, the classics, Akira and GitS, then Bleach and Death Note. My other brother, also older than me, likes pretty much the same stuff I do, but in less shoujo doses.
Jan 15, 2008 3:20 AM

Jul 2007
I was watching CCS..

Mom "So who's that girl with the funny hair again?"

"Sakura, mom. And she doesn't have a funny hair. It's cute."

Mom "But who actually HAS a hair like that here?"

"Um, cosplayers?"

Mom "Cosplayers? Um.. are those the people who are pointlessly addicted to console games?"

"NO THEY'RE ANIME FANATICS WHO DRESS UP AS THEIR FAVOURITE ANIME CHARACTERS!"

*Sigh* parents.

Jan 15, 2008 3:33 AM

Jan 2008
My mom has seen me watching anime several times. Once she asked what I am watching, is it interesting. I said it's nothing & ushered her away. As she sometimes watches kiddies/kodomo type anime. I would feel uncomfortable if I watch anime with my mom. But my dad never seen me watch anime, but he saw my DVDs. Thank God! He didn't say anything.
So I think my parents don't really care if I watch anime.
The only person who made fun of me was my younger brother. Every time he saw me watching anime, he said: "What! You watching cartoon again. You're like a kid."
So I said: "Shut up! Or I'll slap you." and then throw something at him. Sometimes I just ignored him.
He doesn't bother me anymore after he knew my aunt & uncle watch anime. And he seems interested in anime now.
Jan 15, 2008 4:19 AM

Nov 2007
Well, I haven't lived with my parents for a long time so it hasn't really been much of an issue. Though as a kid my mother actively supported my interest in anime and used to get stuff available at the time (which was very little back then) and my father had some decent connections so I was able to get VHS subs (usually fansubs, back before the digisubbing scene) so, not really a problem there.

My mother's never really liked it, though has watched some with me. My brother watches some stuff too, just nowhere near as much as I do since his wife doesn't like it.

I don't really see why anybody would be bothered by it, but it seems a lot of people are. No different to watching Simpsons, Family Guy, Futurama, Southpark etc as an adult.
Jan 15, 2008 10:27 AM

Dec 2007
cute question ^^;
well i avoid watchin`animes when my parents are around .. simply cause they are soo annoyin`and yes they actually make fun of how jap ppl talk .. which is extremely irritatin` >.>
oww not to mention my aunt actually imitates them in a soo annoyin`way that i lose all interest in watchin`the episode or whatever
so now when they pass by .. out of reflex pause the anime and wait for the "danger" to pass by :))
Jan 16, 2008 6:45 AM

Aug 2007
my mom makes fun of it but also supports it at the same time. my dad doesnt like reading subtitles, but my dad also watches anything i tell him is good. im like his dvd store. he actually liked elfen lied which suprised me because hes 50. he wanted to know if there was another season.
ellowelJan 16, 2008 6:51 AM
Jan 16, 2008 11:16 AM

Aug 2007
Other than calling them cartoons my father isn't really concerned with them (yes I go all emo weeaboo freak in saying they're 'Not cartoons')

Jan 16, 2008 1:47 PM
Jun 2007
OmegaJudgement said:
Other than calling them cartoons my father isn't really concerned with them (yes I go all emo weeaboo freak in saying they're 'Not cartoons')

Self-deprecation won't get you women. I've tried it years ago. Doesn't work.

It just makes you reliant on other people for self-esteem.

Jan 16, 2008 1:50 PM
Aug 2007
To be fair, they are cartoons. Japanese cartoons of higher quality than most of those made in the United States. :3
Jan 16, 2008 1:54 PM
Jun 2007
the_seventh_l said:
To be fair, they are cartoons. Japanese cartoons of higher quality than most of those made in the United States. :3

The term Cartoon often denotes a silly drawing that's meant to be humorous and comment on social/political/cultural issues.

Jan 16, 2008 1:55 PM
Jun 2007
So yea I guess you could say some anime like Lucky Star(as bad as I may think it is) could be considered cartoons.

Jan 16, 2008 2:14 PM
Sep 2007
First comment that my mom made when she saw anime was "This is Pokemon, right?". It was Escaflowne...

Years later she don´t mind my anime obsession. Neither do my dad or younger sister. Now they´re interested at everything I bought and always asks what´s inside those boxes I get. Sister actually likes FMA and dad is showing some interest towards figures...
Jan 16, 2008 2:28 PM
Jan 2008
I think they get used to it after ~10 years :)
Well it kind of depends when you start, i was only 8 back then and got some pokémon tapes from somewhere and i got stuck in the anime world :)
Gotta say i love it though!
Jan 16, 2008 2:36 PM

Jul 2007
for me, my parents are ok with it as long as i dont waste too much time on it...
which they dont know about! xD
just pretend to be listening to online lectures... lol
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 16, 2008 2:40 PM

Aug 2007
Hmmm my parents don't really care :p but i got my mother into Monster :)
Besides that my sister and my brother are a bit into anime 'cause i drag them but not much.
Jan 16, 2008 4:20 PM
Jun 2007
myu said:
First comment that my mom made when she saw anime was "This is Pokemon, right?". It was Escaflowne...

Years later she don´t mind my anime obsession. Neither do my dad or younger sister. Now they´re interested at everything I bought and always asks what´s inside those boxes I get. Sister actually likes FMA and dad is showing some interest towards figures...

Female Figurines? How often does your mom give out?

j/king. Sorry. I couldn't resist.

Jan 28, 2008 4:45 AM

Apr 2007
So here's a little funny story about me and my parents.

Yesterday I had to attend an anime convention. The bus would be leaving quite early, to I had to get up at like, 5 am to be able to put my cosplay and get everything perfect. My parents woke up at 4:30 am. They usually wake up at 5:00, and then start doing their things at 5:30. So they just sat there waiting for me to wake up and then help me. And they weren't bothered by it at all.

Anyway, my mother asked me and my brother to bring her figurines of Sakura from CCS. One from each of us, she's that greedy. So we did. I bought her a CCS Sakura and my brother bought her a chibi Tsubasa Sakura. She was overjoyed.

The thing is, my brother and I bought these really cute chibi keychains. I bought Haruhi, Kyon, Itsuki and he gave me Mikuru, from Haruhi Suzumiya. Then he bought Hayate, Nagi, Maria and Hinagiku for himself.

When we came home, mom tried to steal MY Mikuru and HIS Hinagiku (which I was trying to steal myself earlier)! XD Here's a fun convo from last night:

Brother: *showing the keychains*
Mom: Awww the pink one is so cute. Give her to me!
Me: NO WAY! SHE'S MINE!
Mom: GO AWAY! GO TAKE YOUR SHOWER!

Oh mom.
Jan 28, 2008 6:37 AM

Sep 2007
AngelLily : You have a great mom! :D

My parent think I was playing a game when I watching anime, lol
Jan 28, 2008 7:25 AM

Sep 2007
AngelLily said:
So here's a little funny story about me and my parents.

Yesterday I had to attend an anime convention. The bus would be leaving quite early, to I had to get up at like, 5 am to be able to put my cosplay and get everything perfect. My parents woke up at 4:30 am. They usually wake up at 5:00, and then start doing their things at 5:30. So they just sat there waiting for me to wake up and then help me. And they weren't bothered by it at all.

Anyway, my mother asked me and my brother to bring her figurines of Sakura from CCS. One from each of us, she's that greedy. So we did. I bought her a CCS Sakura and my brother bought her a chibi Tsubasa Sakura. She was overjoyed.

The thing is, my brother and I bought these really cute chibi keychains. I bought Haruhi, Kyon, Itsuki and he gave me Mikuru, from Haruhi Suzumiya. Then he bought Hayate, Nagi, Maria and Hinagiku for himself.

When we came home, mom tried to steal MY Mikuru and HIS Hinagiku (which I was trying to steal myself earlier)! XD Here's a fun convo from last night:

Brother: *showing the keychains*
Mom: Awww the pink one is so cute. Give her to me!
Me: NO WAY! SHE'S MINE!
Mom: GO AWAY! GO TAKE YOUR SHOWER!

Oh mom.

Can I come live with you? =3 Even though I'm in the upper-ish East Coast of America, you're only in Brazil. That's not too far away, right? ;D
Jan 28, 2008 7:30 AM

Apr 2007
Iriya said:
Can I come live with you? =3 Even though I'm in the upper-ish East Coast of America, you're only in Brazil. That's not too far away, right? ;D

Not far away at all~ XD
Jan 28, 2008 7:31 AM

Nov 2004
"MAL shut down after massive teenage riots and runaways aspired because of an occult online society"

ye ur 20, but what about others =) ?
Jan 28, 2008 7:53 AM

Nov 2007
My dad is always working, so he's not around much to know what i'm into.

My mom... welll she's seem me watch it. But she doesn't care. I think she prefers I stay home all day watching anime than being outside. lol >_< so over-protective.
Jan 28, 2008 7:57 AM

Apr 2007
By the way, my mom got the Hinagiku.

;_; I wanted it~
Jan 28, 2008 8:41 AM

Jan 2008
my parents have no problem with animes. but when we/they talk about it i can hear that they treat it as "just cartoons". i hate this generalization.
they like studio gibhli films but other than that they'd rather see a brainless hollywood film than a anime which actually has a meaning/message.

anime == cartoon == for children. bahhhhhhh -_-
Jan 28, 2008 8:50 AM

Apr 2007
Anime is for children too. Pokémon, Digimon. And I believe a lot of them hold no message than "You love seeing this, so I'll just keep feeding this to you without bothering much so you're satisfied", like the Devil May Cry anime. I actually have no problems with calling anime cartoons or manga being called comics. My parents call them that, and I just nod and smile.
Jan 28, 2008 9:19 AM

Jan 2008
AngelLily said:
Anime is for children too.
sure they are, and there are a lot of animes without any massage and there are a lot of hollywood films with a good message ^.^

i have a problem with the statement "anime are only for children". which seems to be.. at least in my environment.. the common belief. but thats just not true imo. but i guess you're right. nod and smile is the best way to handl it ^.^
Jan 28, 2008 10:00 AM

Dec 2007
my father thinks that its weird, but doesnt make fun. my step mother however does make fun of it, but i could care less what she thinks
Jan 28, 2008 10:13 AM

Apr 2007
dominik said:
[i have a problem with the statement "anime are only for children". which seems to be.. at least in my environment.. the common belief

Yeah, it's common here too. But then again, most mainstream anime -are- usually for kids/pre-teens, so I just shake my head. With anime becoming more popular and other more serious titles showing up, people either 1) get a very bad impression thinking anime will corrupt their children, or 2) start thinking better.
Jan 28, 2008 10:16 AM

Dec 2007
Well, it seems my parents do make fun of me watching anime. My mum said FMA looks like Scooby Doo. It's nothing like it! >=[

Everyone does seem to think that anime is for kids. If they don't like that, they think all anime is hentai. -_-'
Jan 28, 2008 10:37 AM

Apr 2007
Nah, Ghost Hunt is more like Scooby Doo. But Naru is hawter than Fred.

*coughs*
Jan 28, 2008 10:39 AM

Sep 2007
My mom doesn't understand why I'm really into anime. She thinks it is just a phase and that I'll eventually get out of it. She is always like, "Anime are for kids. When are you going to grow up?" When I'm home, I usually have to watch my shows really late at night or I'll give her a drama for her to watch to make her stop noticing me. My mother is a huge Asian Drama fanatic. We watch Asian dramas together XD.

My father is really cool with it though. He watches it with me sometimes though sparingly.

Jan 28, 2008 11:53 AM

Aug 2007
/||\ I have the same problem except it's my dad who thinks anime is horrible. For him anime=hentai so I don't have much luck. My mom just started watching Monster so there is some progress.

Jan 28, 2008 12:04 PM

Mar 2007
nah, my Step dad is the one that got me hooked.

We used to watch Akira, Vampire Hunter D, and Ghost in the Shell on vhs :3

"What happens when we die?" I know that the ones who love us will miss us.
Jan 28, 2008 2:44 PM
Jul 2018
My mom doesn't care. My dad is somewhat interested, or at least he shows some kind of supportishness. I got Paprika and the Cowboy Bebop movie on DVD a little while ago, on no other occacion than "let's buy some DVD's now that we're so close to the movie store". He also brought me along to watch Totoro, though the original plan was him and my younger brother watching it, and I just accepted the invite. Can't say I liked the Norwegian dubs too much, though.
Jan 28, 2008 2:56 PM
Dec 2007
My parents don't make fun of me, whenever they come into the room and I am watching an anime I simply pause it and wait for them to leave the room, but they don't make fun of me for watching it.
Though there was a time when I was watching Tenchi In Tokyo and my dad said: "what's with all the cats meowing?" but the whole time it was Ryo-ohki but I simply told him there was a lot of cats involved with the anime I was watching.
Jan 28, 2008 2:58 PM
Dec 2007
kazerfozl said:
/|| I have the same problem except it's my dad who thinks anime is horrible. For him anime=hentai so I don't have much luck. My mom just started watching Monster so there is some progress.

Wow, I didn't parents got involved with anime too.
DeletedAccount23Mar 31, 2008 5:26 PM
Jan 28, 2008 7:12 PM

Jan 2008
My Dad loves to watch Chinese Kung Fu series, while my Mom watches Thai soap operas all the time so if they ever complain about my anime, they will soon realize that it kinda runs in our blood. haha
Jan 28, 2008 7:27 PM

Nov 2007
I think the only time I had a convo with my dad about anime it went something like this:

*Lets dad into my house*
Dad: What're you doing?
me: watching anime.
dad: anime?
me: cartoons.
dad: arent you a bit old to be watching cartoons (in a lighthearted way)
me: just watch this, these guys are going to get messed up (watching GitS:SaC)
*dad sits down and watches the rest of the episode*
dad: well (obviously has no clue wtf is going on)... i'm heading to O'briens to watch the game, wanna come?
me: if you pick up my tab.

my mom on the other hand just assumes all the anime i watch is geared towards my age group (aka seinen)
RolexJan 28, 2008 7:35 PM
Jan 28, 2008 7:30 PM

Sep 2007
My parents don't particularly care. A year ago or so, I had commandeered the giant TV we had in the family room to watch Gunslinger Girl while my mom was out there reading a book, and she actually ended up watching quite a bit of it -- but I really don't like watching movies with her since she feels the need to make pointless comments on everything, and anime is no different apparently :(
Jan 28, 2008 7:53 PM

Jun 2007
My father doesn't like anything I do from anime to video games, hates that is all i do and like to do, and so he shuns me, and he can get over it.
Jan 28, 2008 8:24 PM

Sep 2007
I don't fell bothered by my family but they surely try to annoy me.

When I'm watching anime and my mother ocasionally comes and says: "What's so cool about it? Isn't it for children?" She also asked if I was getting retarded D: but in a lighthearted way.

My father kind of "defends" me... He thinks I'm into anime girls ¬¬ but doesn't care about it at all. I was once watching Fate/Stay Night and both of my parents mentioned Saber's green eyes and cuteness to justify that D:

All the anime made everyone think I have a japanese gf or something like that.

My sister is on the same "nice boat": tries to annoy be because that's what a good younger sister does. She liked to watch some Azumanga Daioh, Minami-ke and Lucky Star episodes and always when I'm about to watch one of these lighthearted animes she asks me to call her... she's 11 and doesn't know english so she just laughs at the facial/body expressions and I try to explain her the situations. She thinks the anime dances are stupid but keep trying to imitate them ¬¬.

They don't care for the ocasional almost-echii/echii walls I use on my computer nor the ammount of anime I watch it since I KICK ASS on studies =).

Edit: Btw my friends that know I watch anime think I'm a pedophile and pervert.
IndigoJan 28, 2008 8:38 PM
Jan 28, 2008 8:51 PM

Mar 2007
My parents don't really "make fun" of me about it but it seems "odd" to them that I can be so into a "cartoon".

Anime have genres, and many convey complex emotions for example Fear, Hate, Sadness, Joy etc etc...that simple Disney cartoons do not.

Sure there are childish anime out there but many anime nowadays are being targeted towards older audiences.

Join the Kyonko Fanclub Today! | Join the MAL Tenjou Tenge Fanclub Today!
Jan 30, 2008 12:11 AM

Dec 2007
Hmm at first my mum did not say anything but as I grow up my mum start to complain. Cartoon is for kids. But I said that this is not cartoon but anime. Starting from that my mum said anime is for kids. Lol.. actually not all anime is for kids...

The one thing I love about my parent is they actually don't mind about anime. They know I love anime so bad and I can't life without anime. They only complain I'm wasting too much money on anime and manga. Haha even so they still give money to me to buy anime..
Jan 30, 2008 12:13 AM

Jan 2008
My parents don't mind that I watch anime, but they're kind of upset that I got my nephew into it because now he's sleep deprived and lazy. Lol.
Pages (39) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Anticipated Spring 2024 anime

ani2016 - Mar 13

16 by Pengawas »»
1 minute ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

49 by EastIndiaCompany »»
4 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

110 by himegal »»
21 minutes ago

» Is it weird that I wish strong female characters would get sad ending?

Sanjay63773 - 1 hour ago

8 by NonAtmospheric »»
29 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Yesterday

19 by MasterTasuke »»
37 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.