Forum Settings
Forums
New
Anime or American Cartoons?
Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Sep 1, 2009 10:42 AM

Aug 2007
Where's the it depends option? The older American cartoons from the late 80s-mid 90s were fucking awesome. Even some after that were awesome.
Sep 1, 2009 10:48 AM

Dec 2008
Anime for sure but , i still watch American cartoons.

Sep 1, 2009 10:49 AM
Aug 2009
Where's the option for both? Otherwise, nearly everyone is going to pick anime.

Sep 1, 2009 10:53 AM

Nov 2008
porkypink said:

Im not sure if there was anime during 1960s.. Even if there was there would be no more then 5 or so.. Im sure Japan was still under construction by the after effects of WW2.. ofcourse America would have greater animation than Japan at that time..

There are plenty like Sazae-san. Attack No1, Cyborg 009, Astro Boy, Eight Man, Tetsujin 28, and others. Definitively more than 5 or so. If it was the 50's I can only name Hakujaden.

EDIT: Lol, I just realized I was reading the first page, not the last one. Weird, I was sure I clicked on the last page, LOL.
Eo tempore, cum tibi occuri,
Mihi vita laeta fuit,
Cum autem te nusquam conspexi,
Eo tempore mortem cognovi
Sep 1, 2009 2:43 PM

Aug 2009
Newer: Anime
Older (say, 60s-80s): American
And the dude from The Lake House is all "WHOA!"
Sep 1, 2009 3:05 PM
Aug 2009
Anime,who would of thought.
although i do like family guy,prob the only American cartoon i like.
Sep 1, 2009 4:59 PM

Aug 2008
One big reason why many prefer Japanese animation over American:

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=108844
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Sep 1, 2009 5:37 PM

Mar 2008
This question is kinda pointless in this forum...

I enjoy both, but of course I prefer anime x)
Sep 1, 2009 5:39 PM
Aug 2009
Moonfrost said:
Which one do you prefer?
For me, it's going to be Anime because I basically hate American Cartoons such as Scooby Doo and shits.

Anime.Simply because its great.Heck even American channels are Dubbing ANIME instead of thier shitty shows

Old shows were good though
Sep 1, 2009 7:47 PM

Mar 2009
I like the old American Cartoons. The modern ones are just too much for me (weirdness) I like the some of the older animes but I really like the modern animes.

Sep 1, 2009 8:19 PM

Jul 2009
I was younger, I watched anime and american cartoons.
Any way, I wathced them was broaded while I could wacth TV.
Now I am watching animation only. but I watch american cartoon by movie.
#Toystory and Shrek are american cartoons, isn't it?
Sep 1, 2009 9:09 PM

Aug 2008
show1222 said:
#Toystory and Shrek are american cartoons, isn't it?

In terms of character design -- perhaps.

However, 3D animation is a different field.
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

Sep 1, 2009 9:19 PM

Aug 2009
I enjoy American cartoons like Justice League.... but they dont produce many shows like that....unlike anime where there are tons of variety and they continue to create new shows with deeper plots....i tend to gravitate towards anime in the end.....

Any shows like Justice League out there?
Sep 1, 2009 9:31 PM

Aug 2008
dee786 said:

Batman the Animated Series. That was good too.

Sep 1, 2009 11:06 PM

Aug 2007
KyuuA4 said:
dee786 said:

Batman the Animated Series. That was good too.

Most of the DC comic shows were awesome. They always cancel them for no reason at all.
Sep 2, 2009 12:37 AM
Jul 2018
ROFL
I think you are asking the question in a wrong place XD
Personally I will chose anime no doubt but that doesn't mean I discriminate American Cartoons.
They are still fun to watch and can also release stress as well.
But still, if it is between these two, then anime.
Sep 2, 2009 6:01 AM

Aug 2009
american cartoons? spongebob and fairy oddparents ring a bell XD

they're just the only ones i know and watch XD

and the rest is just good~ anime *raises thumb*

Sep 3, 2009 5:49 AM

Aug 2009
ANiME! xD

but i watched the american cartoons first before i was introduced into anime..

"Perhaps the distant part of the sky always seems clearest, so that we will always strive to reach it."

chiquit

Sep 3, 2009 5:59 AM

Sep 2007
Asrialys said:
Why is there never a middle ground with these polls? I want to vote "Both"!

I miss the original Cartoon Cartoons that aired on Cartoon Network. Powerpuff Girls; Dexter's Laboratory; Johnny Bravo; Courage the Cowardly Dog; Ed, Edd, n Eddy; etc. Can still catch reruns of these shown on CN or Boomerang. One of the more recent CN shows I've shown interest in is Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends.

I remember years ago when they had a 24-hour marathon of Bugs and Daffy cartoons on Cartoon Network. I'd actually be more willing to watch that than an anime marathon. Tom and Jerry and Scooby Doo (even the "What's new" stuff) were also fun to watch.

Avatar The Last Airbender aired so much this summer that I was pretty much able to watch the entire series for the first time. I liked it.

Then there are all those cartoons based on DC and Marvel comics. I've watched several of those.

The targeted demographics and motive for creating animated shows is certainly different between Japan and America, but that doesn't mean that both sides don't have their fair share of terrible shows. I've never found myself making comparisons or thinking about which is better.

I'll watch whatever interests me.

This.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines
Sep 4, 2009 7:23 PM

Jul 2009
Now a days the cartoons in America are just Shit, other then a few exceptions, but I prefer Anime 'cause of its wide variety (though it takes me a long time just to pick one out... yes I am somewhat picky :3)
Sep 4, 2009 9:00 PM

Aug 2009
From what I observed.

American cartoons are tend to be more popular in children ages 2-10

I'd say people over the age 10 would tend to pick Anime over American cartoons since Anime have better plots/character developments, etc.
Sep 4, 2009 9:22 PM

Aug 2008
Saitoe said:
no moe in american cartoons =/

I disagree...

Sep 4, 2009 9:23 PM

May 2009
Stop making stupid polls.
Anime (your vote) 148 94.27%

Major anime source and community: http://www.anivoid.com Join now =P
YOU DON'T HAVE THE GUTS =P
Sep 4, 2009 9:30 PM

Apr 2009
The simpsons rocks
but 2000 > anime pwns any fucking cartoon that america makes (besides the simpsons)
i hate family guy and other dog shit like that..low brow comedy
Sep 5, 2009 9:05 PM

Jun 2009
Hey, did everyone forget about Schoolhouse Rock? I loved it as a kid and watching it in school.
Conjunction junction, what's your function?
"In the Beginning, the creative energy radiates from within."
-
No, no. That's Lame. Sounds like something out of a Jodorowsky comic.

The Tokusyu Manga Club - Features alternative comics/avant-garde comics/outsider comics/psychdelic comics/surrealistic comics/underground comics + La Nouvelle Manga (part of Alternative).

If I'm here, its because I have nothing better to do.
Sep 5, 2009 9:57 PM
Sep 2007
i liek animu better becuz it's more complex and dark and has violence and sex asnd character development desu ne.
Sep 5, 2009 11:50 PM

Mar 2008
anime of course !
why i'm here if I like a cartoon, lol
Sep 6, 2009 12:46 AM

Jun 2009
ANIME BANZAI!!!
Sep 6, 2009 6:12 AM

Jun 2009
Anime. That is all.

Sep 6, 2009 7:04 PM

Sep 2008
I have to go with anime because the majority of them actually have stories.

Although I do enjoy American cartoons from time to time. I don't close my mind to them. Futurama is my favorite American cartoon!
Sep 7, 2009 1:06 AM
Apr 2009
Of course it's obvious. . . . I'll choose Anime!!! Because I live in Anime World. . . . I'm not watching cartoons until I started watching anime. . . .
Sep 7, 2009 1:45 AM

Jul 2009
American cartoons in general, nowadays, are terrible.

There is occasionally a good one, but rarely any exceptions.

o/ Anime.

| Nothing is at it seems. |
Sep 7, 2009 4:25 AM

Aug 2009
Nowadays, as many people have already said, american cartoons are terrible compared to how they were many years ago. For me it will be anime 'cause of that. I can mention more good animes than american cartoons.
I think that most american cartoons are aimed for the years 3-10 years old, or something, which makes some childish, therefore alot of people pick anime over american cartoons. Those 3-10-year-old-american-cartoons can also be classed for "all ages", aswell.
Also, the Japanese thinks in a whole different way than Americans. Many actions are performed way differently in animes than they are in american cartoons. It's hard to mention examples, but in some animes you just think: "this would never happen in something American!" I think some people understands me. ^^
Sep 7, 2009 4:47 AM

Apr 2007

Everything is better "In America!"

Sep 8, 2009 8:09 AM

Aug 2009
Sure it is...
Sep 8, 2009 9:40 AM

Sep 2009
All I know is, I miss Toonami. Sure it might not of been perfect, and sure I guess theres that one night on Saturdays of Adult Swim which is all anime after midnight. But F it, there's like no reason for me to watch cartoon network most of the time. Still not baggin' on American animation, I <3 Animaniacs, Freakazoid, Tiny Toon Adventures, Looney Toons, Simpsons, Family Guy[sometimes], American Dad[sometimes], and prolly a whole host of others Im forgetting. Just sayin'
"I don't have time for miracles, they make me puke."
~Gatts
<-clickable
Sep 8, 2009 10:41 AM

Jan 2009
American Cartoons peeked by 95 I think and it was all down hill from there not including animated film releases. Even with films, the last one I really liked was The Lion King. The last tv series that interested me was X-men.
Alchemistx4Sep 8, 2009 10:46 AM
Sep 8, 2009 10:57 AM

Mar 2009
Well anime obviously but I do miss good old Tom and Jerry ^^
Sep 8, 2009 11:01 AM

Mar 2009
I like both but anime beats american cartoons by a long-shot.
Sep 8, 2009 7:58 PM

Jan 2009
I love anime. There are some amazing storylines, but American cartoons also are amazing as well. It all depends on your own personal tastes. I really like Family guy, Simpsons, and King of the Hill these are all cartoons that can be related to people who are living in the middle-class. Cartoons can be placed into categories just like how we label movies or books.
Sep 8, 2009 8:52 PM

Apr 2009
Anime wins because I have yet to find an anime that I didn't at leased get some kind of enjoyment out of, while I have seen many, many American cartoons that made me wanna catch the next flight out of this country. However, shows like The Simpsons, ATHF, Metalocolypse, and pretty much every 90s cartoon will always have a special place in my heart.

Sep 8, 2009 9:17 PM

Feb 2009
Anime but I liked a lot of cartoons when I was little :) and probably could add Duck Dodgers when I wasn't that little :)
Sep 8, 2009 10:37 PM

Jul 2008
what a surprise more people like anime on an anime site!
Sep 9, 2009 12:32 AM

Sep 2009
Mow123 said:

I know right, poll is irrelevant, it's meant to weed out the weak and none like minded among us. Ive been keeping a watchful eye on those who dare even compare our holy anime to such ungodly filthy American scum

xD No I kid, impartial I say god dammit. It's all good as it keeps me entertained.
"I don't have time for miracles, they make me puke."
~Gatts
<-clickable
Jul 25, 2010 8:48 PM

Aug 2009
Mow123 said:

Lol suprising isn't it?
Jul 25, 2010 10:50 PM

Jul 2010
Are you serious? Don't get me wrong I love anime, but for the most part american cartoons is better. I don't know why nobody sees that.

First of all let's talk animation. American is far better. NO WE'RE NOT TALKING ABOUT THE DRAWING.ANIMATION IS DIFFERENT THAN THE DRAWING. Anime has got drawing down, anime has better drawing I'll give it that. But anime's animation BLOWS. You do know that the frame rate of anime is lower right? that's the amount of pictures they draw. this is visible with the naked eye! another reason why anime's animation sucks is they slide the camera around while they're talking TO AVOID THEIR LIPS, BECAUSE ALL THEIR LIPS DOES IS FLAP FLAP FLAP FLAP. what is up with that? American Cartoons actually copy the movement of the mouths. If i have a penny every time an anime just stops moving, or slides the camera around I'd be rich. Sure american cartoons do it too, but anime use it more man!

now lets talk about the story. "Anime storys are better" why? because they're for adults? is that the only reason they're better? how about this, I'll give you 50 HOURS to tell a story. 50 STINKING HOURS to create character development, plot development, and all that jazz. If it gets boring at one point you can just make it exciting later, because you have 50 freaking hours. now you're gonna make an American Cartoon. 30 MINUTES that's all you stinking got! 30 MINUTES TO CREATE BEGINNING MIDDLE AND END. ok sure for the most part anime story's are better than american TV CARTOONS. but what about AMERICAN MOVIE CARTOONS. Only an hour and 30 minutes, and they're better than the freaking whole Naruto, Bleach, One Piece series, and a whole lot more.

click my dragons, or don't either way I'll get something cool 8-)
Jul 26, 2010 1:17 PM

Jul 2010
Anime. Never liked that American shit.
Jul 26, 2010 1:40 PM

Aug 2009
American if Futurama counts.

A man of few words.
Jul 26, 2010 1:51 PM

Oct 2009
Anime is far way more detailed and actually makes you think sometimes. Yes, there are good american cartoons, but when i hear that the first thing that comes to mind is 'Family Guy' which i'm not saying is bad but it's just plain stupid.

Jul 26, 2010 1:56 PM

Jan 2010
I like them both equally. I'm happy with watching an episode of Bleach or an episode of Spongebob.
Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - 10 hours ago

22 by TsutanaiFuun »»
38 seconds ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

64 by Blueberry173 »»
1 minute ago

» How you feel about non-Japanese entertainment/media using Anime art style?

Dragevard - 2 hours ago

7 by FanofAction »»
6 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

59 by Serafos »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

73 by Jonas-K »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.