Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 16, 2009 4:27 AM

Mar 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Looking forward to it! :D
Aug 16, 2009 7:50 AM

May 2007
Zilpzalp said:
Rather boring imo.

Epicness was missing.

Meh, that's because it was dragged out so the episode would only fit encompass a chapter. But I will admit that the way they showed Luffy's haki come out was done pretty nicely. I liked the wind effect they made.

Regardless, the point to take home is exactly how special Luffy's haki really is.
Aug 16, 2009 7:58 AM

May 2007
Zilpzalp said:
Whatever. The wind effect was kind of... how would you say that in english? In german, it would be Null-Acht-Fünfzehn... I think "run of the mill" should be correct here. Every special sh%$ comes with something like a wind. Even in Dragon Ball.

Lol. You totally have a point. Not to mention that Toei Animation also did the Dragon Ball anime. So that's probably where the similarity in the effect stems from.
Aug 16, 2009 8:12 AM

Apr 2009
wow, the subs are really fast this week

Omg luffy's haki is amazing w00t

smokesAug 16, 2009 8:42 AM
Aug 16, 2009 9:00 AM

Jan 2009
ok Im not an anime/manga guru so I have a question :P
what exactly is haki? and I dont mean only the definition of the world, but as a power. what can people who have it do?
"Ω ξείν', αγγέλειν Λακεδαιμονίοις, ότι τήδε κείμεθα τοις κείνων ρήμασι πειθόμενοι"

Aug 16, 2009 9:38 AM

Sep 2008
so that how they knock down people, that ray, shanks, white beard
amuzing luffy...
Being a fan is like having a penis. Its nice to be proud of it But don't pull it out in public and wave it in other's faces

Kyurem Black. Kyurem White. Together they are Pretty Kyurem.
Aug 16, 2009 10:22 AM

Apr 2009
yeah, with haki you can reject the enemies devil fruit power
Aug 16, 2009 10:41 AM

Jul 2009
Im looking foward to next episode , i wanna see hebime-sama's face after this fight :D
Aug 16, 2009 12:04 PM
Jul 2008
This episode rocked my socks, when he used his haki everyone was so surprised :D... I can't wait until he uses Gear Second >:]
Aug 16, 2009 12:07 PM

Dec 2008
well now that they know how dangerous he can be, i wonder if the sisters will take advantage of him not knowing how to use his haki to try and take him down quickly.
Aug 16, 2009 1:58 PM
Jul 2018
smokes said:
yeah, with haki you can reject the enemies devil fruit power

which kind of makes captain blackbeards ability useless, he already has haki enough to block devil fruit powers...

cant wait till next episode!
Aug 16, 2009 2:02 PM

Nov 2007
episode was okay, i'm more interested in the next one though
Aug 16, 2009 2:16 PM

Jul 2008
best part is luffys haki coming out and making everyone shit in there pants.lol damn its proff that luffy gonna b the pirate king.lol

5/5
Aug 16, 2009 3:16 PM
Jul 2008
My favourite part was when he said "I TOLD YOU TO STOP!", I just can't stop replaying that same part, and looking at everyone's faces.. v(OoO)v haha
Aug 16, 2009 3:58 PM

Nov 2007
This whole Haki business is so ridiculous. Willpower, really? I hope One piece won´t become the next Dragonball (SSJ1 2 3 4 5 6 whatever). Gear Second was awesome, as a power up; Gear Third, too. But now it`s just ridiculous.
Aug 16, 2009 4:00 PM

Jul 2009
Finally Luffy's haki awakens

But it's really annoying that they're only using 1 chapter per episode...
This is a signature.
Aug 16, 2009 4:15 PM
May 2009
So haki only takes effect if you look the user in the eye or am I mistaken.
And yes it sucks that they only use one chapter per episode....
Aug 16, 2009 5:18 PM

Jan 2009
I loved it, so in the end Luffy have the same power of Rayleigh and Shanks.
BTW, i wanna see the other mugiwaras.
Aug 16, 2009 5:37 PM

Dec 2008
True there is some stretching, but the alternative is filler paradise..

Well haki has already been displayed ages ago by Shanks and i doubt it'll go the dbz direction with all the power levels :/
Aug 16, 2009 5:48 PM
Oct 2007
I think my heart stopped for a second there when Luffy used his King's haki. The effect is more eminent in the anime than the manga.
Aug 16, 2009 9:45 PM

May 2007
After that last arc I am finding myself greatly underwhelmed here. Did One Piece really need an Amazon Island ark? I think not. I would really appreciate it if the story would get back to the point where Luffy is supposed to find One Piece and actually accomplish something for a change. (And where the hell is Mihawk and Shanks!? It feels like 100 episodes since something important happened)

And Haki? Seriously? That is such a lame power. I don't read the manga, but I am certainly thinking Oda is pulling stuff out of nowhere at this point. You shouldn't just make up something like that. I do see some hints at such a power from earlier in the series, but this still feels like Luffy suddenly has a new power. (i.e. Diablo legs and octoarms)

I'd feel better if Luffy just had Gear 4th and stayed true to the DBZ constantly making up new echelons of power routine.
Aug 16, 2009 10:56 PM

Jun 2007
Wayero said:
After that last arc I am finding myself greatly underwhelmed here. Did One Piece really need an Amazon Island ark? I think not. I would really appreciate it if the story would get back to the point where Luffy is supposed to find One Piece and actually accomplish something for a change. (And where the hell is Mihawk and Shanks!? It feels like 100 episodes since something important happened)

And Haki? Seriously? That is such a lame power. I don't read the manga, but I am certainly thinking Oda is pulling stuff out of nowhere at this point. You shouldn't just make up something like that. I do see some hints at such a power from earlier in the series, but this still feels like Luffy suddenly has a new power. (i.e. Diablo legs and octoarms)

I'd feel better if Luffy just had Gear 4th and stayed true to the DBZ constantly making up new echelons of power routine.

You're reading too much into it. Haki is pretty downplayed. And this arc mostly serves as a set up arc for the next one.
Aug 16, 2009 10:56 PM

Feb 2009
@ Wayero: Yes One Piece does need an Amazon island arc. Why? You will see. Also don't insult Oda, the epicness that is soon to come will blow you away.

Other than that this was an ok but slowpaced episode, although i prefer this over some random filler. Looking forward to the next episode, the fight should get pretty good.
Pantyshots are a different matter entirely

Aug 16, 2009 11:07 PM

Jul 2009
Really great stuff. Stretched out at the beginning, no doubt, but I actually felt like the Haki was being used against me!! Haha. It was great. And yes, Amazon Lily was totally necessary. "Looking for One Piece" isn't what the adventure is about. They know where One Piece is. They are on the journey for the journey. Luffy has already said he doesn't care what's at the end, he just wants to conquer all that stands before it. Plus Luffy makes important connections in Amazon Lily that he would not have made else where, it is totally vital to the next arc. I would like to see more of the Mugiwaras though. I miss their charm and interaction as a group. Their reuniting will be such a great moment<3,
Aug 17, 2009 12:26 AM

Apr 2009
Veru said:
This whole Haki business is so ridiculous. Willpower, really? I hope One piece won´t become the next Dragonball (SSJ1 2 3 4 5 6 whatever). Gear Second was awesome, as a power up; Gear Third, too. But now it`s just ridiculous.

roflmao.

Haki was shown in the begining with shanks .... even shanks doesnt have a devil fruit ability... only Haki.

so this is not a lame power :o)

you're lame
Aug 17, 2009 12:48 AM

Dec 2008
smokes said:
Veru said:

roflmao.

Haki was shown in the begining with shanks .... even shanks doesnt have a devil fruit ability... only Haki.

you're lame

Billbo88 said:
@ Wayero: Yes One Piece does need an Amazon island arc. Why? You will see. Also don't insult Oda, the epicness that is soon to come will blow you away.

Other than that this was an ok but slowpaced episode, although i prefer this over some random filler. Looking forward to the next episode, the fight should get pretty good.

Well said!
Aug 17, 2009 2:01 AM

Mar 2009
Oda probably introduced Haki due to the fact that some Logia type powers are impossible to beat without it. e.g Captain Smoker, Admiral Kizaru.

If Luffy manages to master his Haki, his Paramecia fruit might have a chance against a Logia fruit.

One Piece needs to be balanced, I think Oda is trying to do that.
Aug 17, 2009 2:07 AM

Dec 2008
After I saw this episode, I must pity the anime-only -watchers. I read manga and there this chapter was awesome but somehow this episode was really lame. Luffy's haki appeared out of nowhere and episode was really slow even though it's supposed to be Odasome fighting episode. I prefer some random fillers over slow-paced episodes where epicness disappears because timing is off.

Haki is something Luffy has always possessed, before Skypia arc Blackbeard commented his haki and the first time he used it was with the Motobaro. Those wind effects makes it look cool but in fact it's supposed to be something so natural that Luffy doesn't even notice it. Luffy is indeed stupid but I think he is still capable to notice a wind that comes out of nowhere... I really understand why some people started immediately compare OP to Dragon Ball. Haki is an important and useful ability but they highlighted it too much in this episode so it looked stupid instead of. More fighting, Luffy more in pinch, Margaret more clearly in danger and then Luffy's desperate/angry shout "Stop it".

episode 3/5 since it could have been much more better.
Aug 17, 2009 2:21 AM

Apr 2009
maybe they exagerated a little... though the reaction of the public pwned xDD
even the girls fainted... this was bad ass.
Aug 17, 2009 2:31 AM

May 2008
I liked to see Boa's frightened expression, anyway it can be that haki was a bit really exagerated, but I still liked the affect on others.
Aug 17, 2009 2:42 AM

Nov 2007
smokes said:
Veru said:

roflmao.

you're lame

Thanks for insulting me, you prick. Even though I don`t like this sharingan shit, I´m still enjoying the series.
Aug 17, 2009 2:54 AM

Jun 2007
Henna said:
After I saw this episode, I must pity the anime-only -watchers. I read manga and there this chapter was awesome but somehow this episode was really lame. Luffy's haki appeared out of nowhere and episode was really slow even though it's supposed to be Odasome fighting episode. I prefer some random fillers over slow-paced episodes where epicness disappears because timing is off.

Haki is something Luffy has always possessed, before Skypia arc Blackbeard commented his haki and the first time he used it was with the Motobaro. Those wind effects makes it look cool but in fact it's supposed to be something so natural that Luffy doesn't even notice it. Luffy is indeed stupid but I think he is still capable to notice a wind that comes out of nowhere... I really understand why some people started immediately compare OP to Dragon Ball. Haki is an important and useful ability but they highlighted it too much in this episode so it looked stupid instead of. More fighting, Luffy more in pinch, Margaret more clearly in danger and then Luffy's desperate/angry shout "Stop it".

episode 3/5 since it could have been much more better.

Read the manga chapter again. In the manga the effect of this particular Haki blast was pretty immense as well. (including wind gusts) You're forgetting that Luffy's haki is special. So he can use it casually (like with Motobaro) or when push really comes to shove, let it all out in a huge blast, with the effect we've just seen. He just doesn't have much control over it.
Aug 17, 2009 3:03 AM

Apr 2009
Veru said:

with pleasure =)
Thanks for insulting me, you prick. Even though I don`t like this sharingan shit, I´m still enjoying the series.

tell me what connection does haki have with dbz ??
its just a power, those gear 2,3 .. This is like dragon ball z...
so instead of heaving 2345 gears, he just made a new power...

this willpower is smth unique and cool. a power that rejects the devil fruit ...
who would have thought that ?
Aug 17, 2009 3:13 AM

Nov 2007
smokes said:
Veru said:

with pleasure =)

this willpower is smth unique and cool. a power that rejects the devil fruit ...

Gear second was explained and only he (Luffy) can use it, because he´s rubber.

But that Haki came out of nowhere.
Aug 17, 2009 3:41 AM

Jun 2007
Why are people so butthurt about haki?

I'ts been around since the beginning.
It's rather downplayed.
It isn't some kind of powerup. It's a tool. Use it to make weapons stronger, cause weaker people to faint and maybe touch logia users.

It's not like Haki increases your powerlevel by 9000. We won't get battles of 2 people clashing their huge haki aura's against each other.

Stop freaking out and give Oda at least a little credit.
Aug 17, 2009 4:47 AM

Jul 2009
Luffy's awesome Haki makes it's appearance finally :P

Veru said:
smokes said:
Veru said:

with pleasure =)

Gear second was explained and only he (Luffy) can use it, because he´s rubber.

But that Haki came out of nowhere.

Since when did Haki come out nowhere? Shanks uses it in the first episode to scare off the crocodile, and uses it when he goes on Whitebeard's ship, and Luffy used it to knock out that bull that the handsome guy rides.
Aug 17, 2009 7:14 AM

Aug 2007
Imao. Great ep. An yea Haki didn't come out of nowhere. It's been used several times throughout the anime. Also it has no way or shape or form do with DB. His power level didn't go up. Haki is like willpower. Those who don't have much of it pass out and even those who do can have their powers canceled out for an equal match against devil fruits. Luffy's however is of the highest caliber. I don't want to spoil anything but it's something that even in the manga has yet to be entirely explained. Just pay attention to the series. This wasn't just a whim or random. Luffy has always used Haki but never to a high enough extent as this. It's showing out more but he's still unable to control it.

So anyone who's bitching probably doesn't get it or watches only the anime. It's understandable but yea my only complaint is that it was dragged out too much. This def should have been 2 chapters into 1.
Aug 17, 2009 7:20 AM

May 2007
Zell182 said:
Since when did Haki come out nowhere? Shanks uses it in the first episode to scare off the crocodile, and uses it when he goes on Whitebeard's ship, and Luffy used it to knock out that bull that the handsome guy rides.

The series so far is 413 episodes long. For you to tell me that something that happened in the 1st episode is just not revealing itself as a relevant ability in the One Piece universe is insulting.

I don't care who you are, I should not be able to make a mean face and somehow null your powers. It makes little sense, even in a world where people get powers from fruit or make their feet catch on fire without burning their pants.

Oda probably did this as a way to show how normal humans have a chance against the fruit users. Yes, that makes a lot of sense and gives balance to the One Piece battles. I actually appreciate that. However, regardless of the subtle hints at such an ability, it seems like it was only used 3 times out of 413 episodes so no matter what it feels wedged in.

Does Luffy even have an incentive to fight now? If he controls haki then he can null the most powerful powers and defeat them easily. How many people can Oda randomly give this power to? Again, I do not read the manga, so any elite knowledge has no effect on me.
Aug 17, 2009 7:34 AM

Jun 2007
Then quit your whining and show a little patience. Haki is not a trumph card that turns any battle around. Have some faith in Oda, you've sticked with the series for this long now.
Aug 17, 2009 8:31 AM

May 2007
What do you want?

I said I appreciated something new being added to the series. I just don't like how at any point Oda can randomly give a character Haki. It should be something learned, not inherited. Maybe it is learned, but from initial impressions Luffy didn't learn anything, and he has it.

I'm not whining, just making criticisms of something newly introduced to the series. Am I not allowed to criticize things in the series and still enjoy it?

Almost 10 years of dumb shonen fun, I'm not going to stop because of that.
Aug 17, 2009 8:52 AM

Apr 2009
lol, so whats the point in putting haki at the beggining of the series ?

this showes that luffy is still capable of fighting without haki...

and is all the 400 ep he just leveled up only ONCE. unlike bleach, where in 150 ep
ichigo uses shinkai,bankai, the holow mask, and now in manga he transformed in smth...

oda putted haki in this moment because its a strrong power. that only strong pirates use... like yonkou, and the world governmt....

so thats why luffy didnt use at the begining cause it would have been to simple... and easy
Aug 17, 2009 9:59 AM

Mar 2009
Luffy's Haki:
One in a million people possess it, the Haki of the "Chosen Ones", also known as the King's Disposition.

While the Kuja Pirates and Sentoumaru learnt their Haki from either whats already within them or either from training.

Not sure about Shanks, but he did demonstrate his Haki at the beginning of the series. Even though it seemed randomly chucked in, Luffy was born with it and doesn't know how to use it, or even what it is yet.

It's not like his going to only use 2nd and 3rd Gear all the way till the end, he needs some other kind of ability to take on people with devil fruits stronger then his one. There must be a balance of power.
Aug 17, 2009 11:26 AM

Jun 2008
Ishmael said:
Luffy has always used Haki but never to a high enough extent as this. It's showing out more but he's still unable to control it.

Hung said:
Luffy was born with it and doesn't know how to use it, or even what it is yet.

That makes a lot of sense to me. Haki shouldn't be seen as a '1, 2, 3 *poof* you posess super power in the form of haki'. I also think Oda should give an explanation later why Luffy has that special haki. We are dealing with Oda here, not a standard shonen manga artist, so I don't believe Oda gives the 'you are a special person who can do this and that's all to it' crap. Unless I'm thinking wrongly. And I'm sure Oda will think of something that will make Luffy struggle for the position as the Pirate King.

Ishmael said:
So anyone who's bitching probably doesn't get it or watches only the anime. It's understandable but yea my only complaint is that it was dragged out too much. This def should have been 2 chapters into 1.

I only watch the anime, but I agree that there should be 2 chapters instead of one. I rarely dislike an one piece episode and this is one of them. The haki part was the only awesome part and the rest shouldn't be as annoying if not stretched out.

Btw, I was thinking that the D. thing had something to do with the king's disposition, but I guess not since Boa Hancock is supposed to have it too. Unless the D.'s have a connection with the family line of the Boa's.

And I wonder why elder Nyon is the only elder in Amazon Lily..
RespecticanAug 17, 2009 11:29 AM
Aug 17, 2009 1:03 PM

Jun 2007
Wayero said:
What do you want?

I said I appreciated something new being added to the series. I just don't like how at any point Oda can randomly give a character Haki. It should be something learned, not inherited. Maybe it is learned, but from initial impressions Luffy didn't learn anything, and he has it.

I'm not whining, just making criticisms of something newly introduced to the series. Am I not allowed to criticize things in the series and still enjoy it?

Almost 10 years of dumb shonen fun, I'm not going to stop because of that.

And once again, wait till you start worrying about this stuff. We hardly know anything about haki.

Haki has been around since the very beginning of One Piece, but we've only seen a few people powerful enough to use it. (Shanks, Rayleigh and now Luffy)

We know Luffy has a special kind of Haki, not many people have it. So it's not like we'll see Usopp knocking down huge groups of people in the future. We don't even know if normal people can learn haki. Sure the amazones can learn it, but they are a special case.

Once again Haki is not a random power up that can be given to a person to multiply their power. Luffy is a special case, since his haki is freaking rare, and might run in the family (He is a D remember!)

And of course there's nothing wrong with criticizing the series. And I'm not telling you to stop watching/enjoying the series. I meant that you've stuck by One Piece this long. And Oda has never failed you, so give him some credit! He won't turn One Piece in Dragon Piece Z
Aug 17, 2009 1:40 PM

May 2009
Zilpzalp said:
But... but I wanted to see the part where she tests Luffy >:

Whatever. The wind effect was kind of... how would you say that in english? In german, it would be Null-Acht-Fünfzehn... I think "run of the mill" should be correct here. Every special sh%$ comes with something like a wind. Even in Dragon Ball.

The only reason for why I like it anyway is because it reminded me of Phoenix Wright.

I am pretty sure that One Piece will come up with cooler effects than just wind when luffy releases his haki for real.
Aug 17, 2009 6:46 PM
May 2009
This episode was rather dragged on, the haki that Luffy used was epic ofcourse.

and I love how the sound of the spikes where the same sounds from DB+Z+GT
Aug 17, 2009 7:10 PM

Feb 2009
Zilpzalp said:
Rather boring imo.

Epicness was missing.

agree.

the haki part was cool though, but it felt kinda silly when they added the dbz noise imo
Aug 17, 2009 9:07 PM

Jul 2008
well the fight will continue next episode
and Luffy's Haki is shown

smokes said:

and is all the 400 ep he just leveled up only ONCE. unlike bleach, where in 150 ep
ichigo uses shinkai,bankai, the holow mask, and now in manga he transformed in smth...

LOL, thx for pointing that out
hmm gears + haki.....
Aug 17, 2009 9:43 PM

Jan 2009
Cool episode. So Luffy pretty much turned super saiyan? XD
Aug 17, 2009 10:21 PM

Jan 2009
Nice episode. I was wondering when and if Luffy would be able to use haki since that episode with Shanks making everyone faint. Didn't know the name till now though. ^_^
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1101 Discussion ( 1 2 )

phantom346 - Apr 14

53 by AlexoYuki »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 242 Discussion

Kaito__Kid - Dec 2, 2009

39 by IvanTheWalker »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 397 Discussion ( 1 2 )

HydraA - Apr 19, 2009

91 by gannoncannon55 »»
Today, 12:36 AM

Poll: » One Piece Episode 396 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Somebody - Apr 12, 2009

195 by gannoncannon55 »»
Today, 12:15 AM

Poll: » One Piece Episode 395 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Somebody - Apr 5, 2009

76 by gannoncannon55 »»
Yesterday, 11:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.