Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 16, 2009 1:24 AM

Jul 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Hair joke was cut out. :(

Other than that:

- I am happy with Hohenheim's voice. Hohenheim' is one of my favourites so I'm glad for that.
- Edward's dream was creepy. :O
- More Edward with his hair down is always good. ♥
- Finding out the truth about Edward's mother was really sad. Such a heartbreaking scene. ;___;
- Though Ed did channel Light quite a bit once he started laughing.
- little!Alphonse eyecatch! :D
- Just a note: I just realized some of the commercials for Monthly Shōnen Gangan spoil things for anime only watches. Lawl.
- Edward's turn to get angry. Also, they kept the Ling and Lan Fan toss. xD
- So, they finally realize the truth about the Human transmutation. And more about Al's situation.

BEGINNER
Aug 16, 2009 1:28 AM

Jul 2007
Starts with Ed/His-Father scene.
The evening scene intact! :3
Ling!. On this week of "lets cut out the XIng character development"...
Dig-up scene. Done. Brilliantly.
Nothing more to say except that animation was quite...bad at times...

3/5

Edit: Damned ninjas.
Aug 16, 2009 1:29 AM

Jul 2008
Fai said:
Ling!. On this week of "lets cut out the XIng character development"...
Yeah, that's going to be a problem. :|

BEGINNER
Aug 16, 2009 2:00 AM

Apr 2009
lol you guys again, they cut that, they cut that..
-_-
Aug 16, 2009 2:36 AM

Jul 2008
smokes said:
lol you guys again, they cut that, they cut that..
-_-
I still loved the episode, they just cut one of my favourite jokes. xD

They can still add more Xing character development so it's hardly the end of the world. But while I can fangirl Ling and Lan Fan quite easily, I don't think non-manga readers can. Also, I'm finding it hard to skirt around spoilers here so I'll just stop speaking now. *flails*

BEGINNER
Aug 16, 2009 6:51 AM
Aug 2009
No hair joke? :(
But it's not the end of the world. :P

Still no Xing character development, but in the next ep, will be more of Ling x Ran Fun action.

Son x Father talk was good. Hohenheim is my favourite character of the series and the scenes abou the truth of Trisha's transmutation was splendid. So sad.
Edward's maniac laugh was the best. The dream was so scary. What a nightmare. :P
Aug 16, 2009 8:15 AM

Aug 2007
Yes, they did cut out a lot. They do this every time, we know that already. XP (I feel kind of sorry for the Xingese people for always being the ones cut out... o.o')

Nevertheless, I think this ep was really great. I loved the skeleton-szene in the Manga and was really afraid they might mess it up, but the did a great job. At least I think so. It never fails to amaze me that Ed actually lookes like he lost his mind. His crazy laughting was creepy.
Al was awesome too, I think it was pretty cool how they made him "cry".
Hohenheim, I love thou. xD He's one of my favorits and I like his voice, althought I think it might be a bit deeper, but this is okay the way it is.

When Winry thought Ed's back has gotten bigger, I just felt like this was wrong, because his back looked too small to me. >_> *goes rereading volume 11* His back really should have been a bit bigger.

There was just one thing that kept irritating me. It does since ep 19. In the Manga, Ed starts to look older around somewhere here. Maybe it's because Arakawas style is changing, or he's just ageing, but he looks older. I think they try to do that in the Anime too, but sometimes he does look older and I have the feeling he needs a male voice actor and sometimes he looks like he does at the beginning. Maybe I'm wrong and I'm just talking crap, but it's irritating me. XP
Aug 16, 2009 9:13 AM

Jul 2007
kennikitty said:
There was just one thing that kept irritating me. It does since ep 19. In the Manga, Ed starts to look older around somewhere here. Maybe it's because Arakawas style is changing, or he's just ageing, but he looks older. I think they try to do that in the Anime too, but sometimes he does look older and I have the feeling he needs a male voice actor and sometimes he looks like he does at the beginning. Maybe I'm wrong and I'm just talking crap, but it's irritating me. XP

Yes, Arakawa changes the way characters looked bit by bit, every chapter.
Aug 16, 2009 9:57 AM

Aug 2007
Fai said:

Yes, Arakawa changes the way characters looked bit by bit, every chapter.

I absolutely love her for doing that. I remember then I was reading the Manga and suddenly realized: He's ageing, like in growing mentally and physically. And I love older!Ed...

I hope they manage to get this done in the Anime, too. .__.' Like I said, in ep 20 I thought that it felt like he was jumping between being older and younger. XP
Aug 17, 2009 2:26 AM

Apr 2008
It was an ok episode but no really big reveals that couldn't have been plucked from past episodes. I kind of find it more interesting with Hohenheim talking as if the whole country's gonna blow up soon. Should be fun :)
Aug 17, 2009 2:39 AM

Apr 2009
Downloading at the speed of liiiiight.
Aug 17, 2009 3:07 AM

Apr 2009
lol they showed Hohenheim only a few seconds and thats all lol.

plus his character is annoying... =\ doesnt seem like a father lol
Aug 17, 2009 3:24 AM

Jan 2009
"Has he always had such a large back?" lol, he's still short : D
Also, Hohenheim .. he's a pretty cool guy, and he's just as insensitive as I am xD
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Aug 17, 2009 3:33 AM

Sep 2008

I love Lan Fan's face.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 17, 2009 3:38 AM

Jul 2007
HawthorneKitty said:

I love Lan Fan's face.

Yeah that was win :D

Average episode. Coulda been better. 3/5
Aug 17, 2009 3:52 AM

Jan 2009
ragnaroks said:
HawthorneKitty said:

I love Lan Fan's face.

Yeah that was win :D

Yeah it made my day : D Although Ling's face's not so bad either
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Aug 17, 2009 4:21 AM

Aug 2009
I wish they didn't cut the Xing character development.
Ling always finds a way to make me laugh.
3/5
Aug 17, 2009 5:14 AM

Apr 2008
wooh ... i like this episode .. i think is my favourite so far

Aug 17, 2009 5:16 AM

May 2008
great episode , great development between characters , awesome episode Alphonse sees the light xD

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Aug 17, 2009 5:21 AM

Sep 2008
smokes said:

Yeah I thought more was going to happen with him in this episode. Although thinking about it we did get a couple major developments with his appearance that would not have happened otherwise. Ed realizes that it wasn't their mother they he and Al transmutated and we also get a warning that something really bad is going to happen in Resembool.

Aug 17, 2009 5:25 AM

Jan 2009
aaronluis26 said:
smokes said:

Yeah I thought more was going to happen with him in this episode. Although thinking about it we did get a couple major developments with his appearance that would not have happened otherwise. Ed realizes that it wasn't their mother they he and Al transmutated and we also get a warning that something really bad is going to happen in Resembool.

Well, Hohenheim didn't really mean something's gonna happen in Resembool specifically, I got the idea that he said the whole country's gonna be in some kinda trouble. (And that's why he told Pinako to flee to another country)
amirite?
Aug 17, 2009 6:20 AM

May 2008
Gah, Dl'ing right now. Can't wait.
Aug 17, 2009 6:26 AM

May 2008
For me one of the best episodes so far. They did things exactly how I like ^^ No complains :D

Aug 17, 2009 6:58 AM

Jul 2009
Good episode - I'd forgotten this part from the manga :D
Aug 17, 2009 7:17 AM

Aug 2008
omg, i felt like the story is getting more and more ocmplicated! and i was a little worried about what hohenheim said : "something horrible will happen in this country" and blablabla, what will happen? ><
Aug 17, 2009 7:30 AM

Mar 2008
Oh yes the best episode so far! :D

...although it missed some things XD
Aug 17, 2009 7:31 AM

Nov 2008
At last. Hohenheim! Good parts are approaching. I'm looking forward to Hohenheim's story (I love that part). :3
Aug 17, 2009 7:31 AM

Oct 2008
Great episode, haven't really read the manga so I don't know about the cut scenes. xD
Glad that Alphonse sees the light and all, it was nice to see Izumi again!
Aug 17, 2009 7:40 AM

Jan 2008
So actually they didn't revive anybody, they just created some random body?
Aug 17, 2009 7:55 AM

Jul 2007
Well, this episode presents some things that i wanted to know, overall i cant wait to see how it all happens.
Aug 17, 2009 8:13 AM

Apr 2009
ntHai said:

well actually this was also in the first season of the series.

so nothing new here
Aug 17, 2009 8:53 AM

Mar 2009
smokes said:
ntHai said:

well actually this was also in the first season of the series.

so nothing new here

It's very different from the first anime. The first anime had human transmutation create a human with the same appearance and memories of the person being revived. Arakawa's storyline's human transmutation=human(like) body unrelated to any existing or previously existing person is created(usually incomplete/deformed to the point of dying immediately if it could even sustain anything resembling life in the first place), no soul/memories/mind. Revival of the dead is treated as purely impossible.
Aug 17, 2009 8:56 AM
May 2008
Decent episode but the animation was kind of choppy at times... and also a bit touching.

Lan Fan's facial expression made this episode for me though.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Aug 17, 2009 9:10 AM

Oct 2007
I loved it, the storyline is fantastic, and I'm preferring this to the original :'D

Would be nice to see a little bit more of the Sins sometime :]
Aug 17, 2009 9:45 AM
Dec 2007
Interesting episode, more of a scenario development than anything. Nothing impressive visually.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Aug 17, 2009 10:05 AM

May 2009
wow.. this ep was loaded.
_____ _ _ ______

Within pain, there is desire.

_____ _ _ ______
Aug 17, 2009 10:46 AM

Aug 2008
What a weird episode. Hohenheim appears only to confront Ed on running away (which I loved, since it's far overdue), to say that Trish wasn't revived, and to portend impending doom. That really is quite random...and just for plot development. The stuff with Isumi, Ed, and Al discovering the meaning behind the failed transmutations was done a little too quickly for my taste. It could have felt more meaningful, but because of the pace, it was all breezed over for the lame ending with Winry talking about Ed's back; which is ironic because at the beginning of the episode I was thinking about how small Ed is when he was in that coat.

An awkward episode, but Isumi hanging up the phone after calling Ed, and the lighting effect of making Al look like he was crying saved it.
Aug 17, 2009 10:59 AM

Nov 2008
Zilpzalp said:

How were the homunculi created then?

how can you not know? they come right out and say homunculus are made by putting philosopher's stone in them in episode 19
Aug 17, 2009 11:28 AM
Jan 2009
So is something lost in translation? I don't understand why Winry would be wondering if Ed's back was always that big as he and Al were walking away. It just seems like an unnecessary and rather confusing comment.
Aug 17, 2009 11:42 AM

Aug 2008
That's their way of indicating that Winry is starting to see Ed as a man.
Aug 17, 2009 12:35 PM

Dec 2008
I very much liked this episode :). So far for the past few weeks - I think I like this episode the best in terms of character development. Last week's was epic, this week's is just emotional :P.

For once, there was a specific part when the background music annoyed me a lot, I think it was the bedroom scene between Winry and Al. This surprised me, since I'm not too picky about background music.

I really liked the part when Ed was fervently digging for the human remains of his "mother" - you can literally see him turning mad/crazy.

Various moments when I was just awed by the animation/art. Like the moment when Al "cries" - god I thought that was genius

As always, can't wait until the next episode!

(Shoot I just remembered I have vacation, dammit I have to wait for two weeks!! NOOOOO)
Aug 17, 2009 1:37 PM

May 2009
Emotional episode with nice character development. It had good pacing too.
Aug 17, 2009 2:04 PM

Apr 2007
:/
They really need to stop with all the cuts and start focusing more on the Xingese characters, especially with the big things up ahead that involve them. It's really starting to annoy me.
Overall nothing really stood out and the BGM where Ed/Al were talking near the stairs and Izumi was crying was way off imo. So yeah I didn't enjoy this episode...at all.
MonochromeAug 17, 2009 3:28 PM
Aug 17, 2009 2:56 PM

Nov 2007
robbydesu said:

For once, there was a specific part when the background music annoyed me a lot, I think it was the bedroom scene between Winry and Al. This surprised me, since I'm not too picky about background music.

The music for the last 3-4 minutes was did not fit in at all, especially with the instantly dramatic sound followed by near silence to start that whole sequence...
Elsewhere, a somewhat startled Warren Worthington III finds that he has accidentally wandered into an electrified east-side world of post-twist teens and watsui-ing teeny-boppers...
Aug 17, 2009 3:01 PM

May 2009
Nicely done episode. But the upcoming ones would be great :D
Aug 17, 2009 3:28 PM

Nov 2008
robbydesu said:
I very much liked this episode :). So far for the past few weeks - I think I like this episode the best in terms of character development. Last week's was epic, this week's is just emotional :P.

I really liked the part when Ed was fervently digging for the human remains of his "mother" - you can literally see him turning mad/crazy.

Various moments when I was just awed by the animation/art. Like the moment when Al "cries" - god I thought that was genius

As always, can't wait until the next episode!

(Shoot I just remembered I have vacation, dammit I have to wait for two weeks!! NOOOOO)

lol there is no ep next week....so your safe :)

awesome ep....cant wait to see recent chapters animat
suigetsu00Aug 17, 2009 3:32 PM
Aug 17, 2009 4:01 PM

Feb 2009
smokes said:

plus his character is annoying... = doesnt seem like a father lol

Yeah I agree with you on that, from the lat episode, I thought it would be rather intimate and emotional between Ed and Hohenheim. The episode was good, but it was not all that was really meant to be, introduction of Hohhenheim in the last ep should have set the pace for this ep, but I just guess it did not happen, next ep looks good! XD
Aug 17, 2009 4:07 PM

Jul 2008
Wait, I'm confused. What the hell did I just watch?

Let me get this straight: Ed transmuted some random guy from the other side of the gate instead of his mother and didn't know until this ep. And somehow that makes things possible to get Al's body back and Izumi's son back...?

I don't understand how Ed didn't know what he transmuted wasn't his mother. And then why isn't his mother in her own grave? Where is his mother? Am I supposed to know these things by the episode? If not, please don't tell me.

TL;DR: I'm confused about ep 20, someone help without spoiling the series for me.
Aug 17, 2009 4:16 PM

May 2007
Wait, so if they didn't transmutate their mom, what DID they transmutate?
Like, some random body without a soul? :O Hmm.
Also, Ed's dig up scene was done brilliantly ;(

Aug 17, 2009 4:36 PM

May 2009
NoyaChan said:
Wait, so if they didn't transmutate their mom, what DID they transmutate?
Like, some random body without a soul? :O Hmm.
Also, Ed's dig up scene was done brilliantly ;(

Thats what i was wondering too. Also if what Izumi transmuted was the same thing, or maybe like something from the same family
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

samatar45 - Oct 2, 2009

286 by Fortvne »»
Yesterday, 4:31 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Oct 11, 2009

296 by Fortvne »»
Yesterday, 4:31 PM

» What’s bad about this anime ( 1 2 3 )

sangonomiya_k - Nov 18, 2023

132 by Chewbaccaccino »»
Apr 21, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 64 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jul 4, 2010

965 by _dziku »»
Apr 19, 2:40 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Ahenshihael - Jun 21, 2009

175 by JoeyBadaSS »»
Apr 15, 8:13 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.