Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Space Brothers
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 22, 2014 8:12 AM

Aug 2013
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wow, I didn't expect that heavy of a backstory at all. It really took me by surprise how everything is tying together.
Feb 22, 2014 8:17 AM

Aug 2010
Once again. This series never fails to deliver back stories for the characters T^T

Betty being the wife of Tuck who was with Brian in his last mission was quite the surprise. No wonder Eddie talked about her like there was some personal connection.

Seeing Pico again was nice ^^ Loved his STITCH idea. Quite innovative :D

Nxt ep, Kenji and Nitta will have a mission to train for? Nice that they're not being left out :) And Seems like Kenji has been busy in bed with his hot wife ;p a new baby :D
Feb 22, 2014 9:06 AM

Oct 2011
Wow! This is the only series where I am emotionally invested in every single character they introduce. They are all so lovable.

I've missed Kenji and Nitta so I'm glad to see them in the preview. Also I'm so happy for Kenji and his newborn =D
Feb 22, 2014 9:33 AM

Jul 2011
Mutta's taking Rick's spot... ahh, when Piko said that I grinned a little. :D

I guess it's Kenji's decision next episode?

Nice to see the tie in to characters we've previously seen, but were rather insignificant at the time.
Feb 22, 2014 11:12 AM

May 2012
We learn more about that disastrous Orion mission. The pieces are all fitting together. I wonder what they've got in store for Hibito's next mission.
Go ***k yourself.

Polite as usual,
lightXTC
Feb 22, 2014 1:34 PM

Jan 2011
I wonder how Betty and Eddie feel about working on a mission with Pico, since he was the engineer in charge of the parachutes on the Orion mission.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Feb 22, 2014 1:45 PM

Aug 2013
rodac said:
I wonder how Betty and Eddie feel about working on a mission with Pico, since he was the engineer in charge of the parachutes on the Orion mission.

Don't you mean he was the engineer who was not in charge of the parachutes for the Orion mission?
Feb 22, 2014 5:40 PM

Dec 2012
"It isn't a treasure. It's nothing more than a tool to remind me of my treasure." Man, talk about always hitting the right spots with the quotes, Uchuu. I ended up smiling ear to ear when I saw Pico again. It's all coming back.

Thinking back, didn't they portray Mutta as being similar to Rick? It's just so awesome how everything discreetly comes together in unexpected ways.

Random thought: I miss those pictures they used to show at the end in the earlier episodes with Hibito going "pam pampa paaam!"
Feb 22, 2014 6:00 PM

Nov 2010
rodac said:

Pico was removed from the parachute crew, because his project was more expensive, so NASA chose the cheaper option which led to the death of the Brian Jay crew.

Seems like Kenji's kid is born in the next episode, can't wait to see more of his hot wife.
Feb 23, 2014 1:21 AM

Nov 2011
This took me by surprise, the series often Godifies Brian so i never thought we'd get an insight into the other two guys at all.

StevenHu said:
rodac said:

Don't you mean he was the engineer who was not in charge of the parachutes for the Orion mission?

Had the same misconception until you mentioned it just now.

So the work of the backup crew is to work in mission control to support the astronauts going into space?

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Feb 23, 2014 8:24 AM

Aug 2013
Betty's back story made me tear up a little. But stories relating to space accidents always do. I watched the Space Shuttle Columbia reentering the atmosphere that morning. Their tiny but brilliant orange dot passed over my house less than 2 minutes before it disintegrated.

The STITCH idea is nice, but I have a couple issues with it. First, why send a new STITCH up every time, when you could send a modular version up once that can dock with each new lander? It would be a lot cheaper, because you wouldn't have to build a new one each time or budget extra fuel to launch it every time. Second, I'd try and find a way that I could make all those landing stages useful. Is there something they could be recycled into? They have a lot of high pressure tanks and other valuable parts.
Feb 23, 2014 10:42 AM

May 2011
No wonder Betty has this hard shell on with what happened and all the people who would go and tell her her choice isn't the right one. I'm glad she has such a wonderful son who would support her when no one else did. And yes, I'm happy to see Pico again as well!
Feb 24, 2014 8:15 AM

Sep 2007
How all the characters of the series are interlinked, really is a stroke of genius. This series never fails to impress.

Feb 25, 2014 10:51 AM

Sep 2013
mutta taking rick's spot ;__; so touching haha
betty's backstory took me by surprise too wow
Mar 2, 2014 2:30 PM

Jul 2009
Wow! O_O Everyone's connected ... so Betty's husband was another crew member who was with Brian eh? It makes sense why she wouldn't want to go back to being an astronaut right after ... wow, I'm pretty impressed she's got the strength to do so :O
Pico's back! Mutta will be acting as "Rick" and guiding Vince eh? Funny how it's all tying together :P
I do think Pico's solution is a step in the right direction, but there's still a whole bunch of things that could be improved. For example re-using the launch pads so you don't need a new one all the time or something. I mean what you're doing now is just moving them so they're still going to be stuck up there ... well, one thing at a time I guess?
Seems like we get to see more of Kenji and Nitta next episode! :D Hmm, I wonder what they're training for? :O
Mar 17, 2014 12:07 PM
Aug 2011
Great job tying these characters together.

Now we can start throwing that notion of "how did these clowns make it this far again?" out the window.
Aug 5, 2014 4:39 PM

Nov 2011
Damn, so that's why Betty acts cold towards others like that. It makes sense now with the accident. Someone give her a hug.
Sep 1, 2014 3:29 AM

Sep 2013
Was I supposed to cry because of her story?

I couldn't care less about her, I guess.

4 episodes to go and they still waste time like that.
Sep 28, 2014 11:40 AM

Nov 2010
The story of Betty really got to me, especially when her husband was revealed to be one of Brians crew traveling back to earth
Those shocking scenes came over as heartwrenching

It was nice to see Pico again later and there to see him reunited with Vince and Rick in spirit
The new idea looked cool to tackle the problem of the landing station waste
Jan 29, 2015 4:10 PM

Nov 2011
Ahh, so that's how Eddie knew Betty. It makes sense now. I had wondered about the families involved; some of the to-be-ASCANS even wondered about it near the beginning of the series.

Pico's Altair/STITCH combo is pretty cool. I would think they would only send a STITCH with an Altair once or twice though. They'll eventually need a way to remove or reuse the Altairs too.

Mutta's going to be directing the landing? That's a huge responsibility. o.o
Mar 31, 2015 12:30 PM

Oct 2008
So now the drunken man child all of a sudden is in charge of this ridiculously convenient contraption and not parachutes? Ok sure...

Also couldn't care less about the soppy back-story of the bitchy Michele Rodriguez and that one guy we've only briefly seen right at the very begging of the series.It was like "hey remember this guy we never actually mentioned before?yeah you should feel bad for him"
Apr 16, 2015 11:53 AM

Aug 2010
Wow didnt expect the ces-43 crew to play kind of a major role in this story...

How is this gonna end in like 4 more episodes when we're in the middle of an arc? damn...
Nov 30, 2015 11:01 PM

Mar 2012
Didn't really care about her backstory tbh >_>
Sep 9, 2016 4:05 PM
Dec 2009
Yet another episode that brought me to tears. As she was talking about her husband in the past tense I had a bad feeling something had happened but I didn't expect it to be the same accident. Beautiful story.
Jan 17, 2017 2:06 PM

May 2015
Pico is back! Hell yeah :D
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Sep 24, 2017 9:53 AM

May 2012
That backstory :| no wonder someone gets as hard as that towards other people! Pretty good episode, 4 more to go!
Mar 21, 2018 11:43 AM

Feb 2013
Sad stuff.
Her husband died in that accident.
It must be horrible to watch your loved one die.
Nov 10, 2020 2:59 PM

Dec 2007
now i understand the connection of betti and eddie, really sad backstory.

i actually find it boring that the astronauts will never need to go out on the moon once landing...

and mutta guiding vince? that's sound promising :p
Nov 30, 2020 7:23 AM
Apr 2016
Suddenly hearing that you have a couple of seconds to live... that's just... just a massive tragedy. I really don't agree with the woman going to space while having a little boy, even if he wanted her to, he's just a child that can't really make any decisions for himself - you need to take care of him! You're risking your life! Kenji's case is similar, but he has his wife to depend on to take care of his child in the meantime - not in a big agreement with his decision regardless, since you should prioritize such titanic dreams when you have no big responsibilities waiting for you at home.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 99 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Allografter - Mar 22, 2014

152 by valoon »»
Apr 7, 4:50 PM

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 69 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Rinji- - Aug 10, 2013

63 by ohmmoto »»
Jan 27, 8:57 PM

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 28 Discussion

MissileSoup - Oct 13, 2012

48 by bankredmeadow »»
Jan 22, 8:28 AM

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 43 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kurini - Feb 2, 2013

150 by Unkrowned »»
Jan 22, 7:10 AM

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 16 Discussion

thunderrain - Jul 14, 2012

41 by Unkrowned »»
Jan 21, 3:17 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.