Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 21, 2014 5:58 AM

Mar 2013
Hello, guys and gals.

For a Light Novel that has started publishing back in 2011, these series sure are mysterious. I cannot find a single synopsis about them on the whole Internet. Furthermore, only 13 MAL users have set these series on their list at the time of speaking.

As "Shishi wa Hatarakazu Seijo wa Akaku" is one of the three works Ponkan 8 is working on (I'm a big fan), I would really like to know at least a little bit of what the story is about. If anyone perhaps knows, please, do share.
Aug 20, 2017 11:53 AM
Nov 2014
Hello! It's an old thread but answering on it is the quickest way I can communicate about this light novel without figuring out how to start a new thread specifically related to it :-)

Here we go:

獅子は働かず 聖女は赤く
Shishi wa Hatarakazu: Seijo wa Akaku
grossly translates as "The Lion will not work for the Red Saint"

Amazon lists the synopsis as follows (translated):

Introduction:
Julius, the protagonist, is a "NEET" (not in education employment or training) in a fantasy world. He's in the care of a girl named Anna who works in a church where he often visits to check up on her. They have a sibling-like relationship though he feels indebted to her. Will she, the one who knows him the best, manage to rehabilitate him?

From the database:
The Galda Orthodox empire was once subject to a rebellion which led to a conflict called the Dragon War. It ended and the country now recuperates in times of peace. Clergy apprentice Anna notices someone looking at her - Julius, and knows he's worried about something. Suddenly Julius strikes the place with his power and causes a huge mess. Young Anna knows that Julius is working for an older woman named Salome (personal note she must've been a bad influence...) and although she's angry at him she decides to rehabilitate him.
However quite soon their past catches up with them, and they'll have to fight!
Expect dragons, sword fight, sorcery and sometimes a bit of comedy.

Consumer reviews: four of them two from 2011, one from 12, one from 13.
All are five stars out of five, very positive. I might work on them too.

Aug 20, 2017 12:45 PM

Mar 2013
@Aidamis Holy crap, this is an old thread indeed. The series were still publishing when I created the thread, lol.

Thanks for the post anyway :p
Aug 20, 2017 1:23 PM
Nov 2014
Keep in mind these are the reviewers' thoughts and not mine:

Review from 2013 by "PSP自家修理" PSP repairs for particulars
Title: Me personally, I loved this book.

"I enjoyed reading this fantasy story which sometimes was a bit dark.
For light novels, I think it's better to just trust your intuition isntead of rushing to read reviews, isn't it?
There are as many interpretations as there are readers!"

Review from 2012 by "くまくま" Kumakuma
Title: The struggle of humans who have faith in God.

"War times just ended for the Galda Orthodox empire. In the past, the corruption of the Central Church led to a Reform which led to a schizm which ended in rebellion. People were being stripped of their rights thus dissedents took arms against the establishment. At first the Central Church and the regime in place enjoyed a steady progress in their favor, supported as they were by angel-like being named "Lions". Yet the honorable "Lion's fang" betrayed them and sided with those who fought for the Reform, thus earning the nickname of "Lion the Betrayer". Then the one known as the "Dragon witch" also sided with the opposition and brought great power to the table. Their spiritual leader was a woman called the "Red Saint". Eventually the war reached such a level the neighboring kingdom of Celestia intervened.

However this war known as the "Dragon war" ended with the execution of the Red Saint followed by the collapse of the Central Church's power. In the chaos that ensued, key players like the Dragon Witch and Lion the Betrayer vanished.
With the newfound peace, Galda began its reconstruction, starting with its cities.

In Hagen town, a young girl named Anna works in a church. One day she notices someone is looking at her - it's one of the many immigrants, a young man named Julius who just arrived with his female mentor Salome. Hunger later leads the young man to sneak in the church's kitchen where Anna attacks him with a knife. The fight is short and once they talked but she decides to provide him and his teacher with a room. Under the care of two women, Julius spends his days drinking.

When it's clear he won't change his ways on his own, Anna takes matters in her hands and reports the knife attack to archbishop Neumann. She asks the ecclesiast whether there are jobs Julius could perform to atone for what he has done. There were many tasks for him to complete though just after he half reluctantly completed a few his peaceful days were interrupted by the Imperial knight Ralph. While he belongs to the Reformed church, Ralph invades the town of Hagen with an armed force, occupies it, kills the governor and top officials in places and orders his men to bring him Anna. For what purpose?

Anna believes in God, in the good that dwells in people and is an advocate for peace, yet harships befall her who was having a normal life with few mishaps.
People are being slaughtered in her beloved town and the survivors claims it is because of her. People she swore to protect are being sacrificed, and the shock makes her doubt her own faith... That's when Julius comes in speaks words that only be spoken by someone who believes in that God won't abandon them.

Although some of the protagonists of the accursed Dragon War reappear, it is not revealed in this volume but in the next few. In fact the events depicted in volume one occured because of those that happen in the next, thus why we have what occurs in Vol 1 will be gradually revealed.

Review from 2011 by "村正" Muramasa
Title: An easy-to-read light novel

Much, much better compared to the author's previous work "Iron ball Princess Emily". Compared to Emily which earned the author a "Rookie of the year award" Shishi wa is more ambitious.

That said, Shishi wa has its flaws even though it's a good work, even more it's a good finished work (NB the serie ended in 2013 all the volumes are out).

While it has attractive characetrs that catch your attention and a good tempo, a NEET character in a fantasy setting simply doesn't work. Meanwhile a knife-wielding heroine reminds me of the giant ball-wielding princess Emily and her armor clad handmaidens which isn't a good sight. Though Anna doesn't lose her fights compared to Emily.

The illustrations provide a pleasant action anime vibe, and I'm expecting greatthings from this serie in the future! I enjoyed this book!

2011 review by "もんちゃん" Mon-chan
Title: An interesting first volume.

She (the author) appears to have written other books and thus writes several in parallel, which is why I think the second volume of Shishi wa is less "fun" and "comedic" albeit the story is still good.
Anyway, the first volume has characters with a funny personality. Yet it deals simultaneously with serious themes like betrayal and the fact that humans are fundamentally good nonetherless. Don't these themes feel weird in a story with funny characters?

Also: is the "trump card" "last resort" magic kinda half-done, not completely thought through by the author? Although I as a reader became very worried this time, the illustrations are pretty and I like them a lot.
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.