Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 15, 2009 5:36 AM

May 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Decent first episode, This show having Urusawa's art style definitely makes me like it a bit more.
MagEarwhigAug 15, 2009 5:39 AM
Sep 1, 2009 8:58 PM

Jun 2009
pretty good, hope it gets better from here.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jun 11, 2011 2:19 AM

Sep 2008
solid start
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Jun 22, 2011 11:14 PM
Jul 2010
Fuck yeah I knew Urasawa stuff would be good.

I enjoyed the English dub. Keaton's voice is calm and cool, more deliberate than the original voice. Even the supporting cast all had appropriate regional accents; much better than a bunch of Europeans speaking Japanese.

The episodic mystery approach might be cool. I kind of hope an overall plot comes into play, if only because the creator is so good at it. Either way, I rather liked everything about this
Oct 30, 2012 7:17 AM

Jan 2012
alpha Keaton is alpha..
Dec 28, 2012 12:44 PM

May 2010
Elite. That's the only word comes to mind.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Sep 7, 2013 7:53 PM

Jun 2012
Great episode i am Greek btw so i liked a bit more just for the "setting" of the episode . And btw Keaton in the end came out to be pretty badass.
Jun 23, 2014 3:10 PM

Jun 2014
Not bad for an episode-by-episode type show. Hopefully a main plot develops soon. Or at least this better not get repetitive.
Jul 8, 2015 6:28 AM
Jun 2015
I like the anime, but i was really turned down by historic inaccuracies. Right in the beginning of the episode Mrs. Keaton is talking about a temple in Morocco dedicated to Jupiter which was built around 150AD. Then he says that the aforementioned civilization which build the temple originated in Greece ...

Which is quite frankly nonsense, lands of current Morocco in 150AD were Roman settlements, that is even beyond clearly indicated by the temple built to JUPITER, a roman god ...

So i don't quite understand why creators decided to make such a blunderr, hope there will not be more mistakes in the series.
Jul 18, 2015 3:09 PM

Sep 2008
cathkroon said:
I like the anime, but i was really turned down by historic inaccuracies. Right in the beginning of the episode Mrs. Keaton is talking about a temple in Morocco dedicated to Jupiter which was built around 150AD. Then he says that the aforementioned civilization which build the temple originated in Greece ...

Which is quite frankly nonsense, lands of current Morocco in 150AD were Roman settlements, that is even beyond clearly indicated by the temple built to JUPITER, a roman god ...

So i don't quite understand why creators decided to make such a blunderr, hope there will not be more mistakes in the series.

By that time, Roman culture was already heavily hellenized; Greek influenced Rome in many aspects, such as economy, language and mythology/religion. Roman Temples were in this respect heavily influenced by Greek counterparts, so much so that they were exactly the same in architecture and style.
Also, Jupitar is the Roman equivalent of Zeus. They are both 'head' Gods associated with thunder/lightning, and share the same origins (other example being Chronos and saturn, Mars and Ares). The Romans borrowed profusely from Ancient Greek culture and civilization due to the close contact between the two.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Jul 18, 2015 3:13 PM

Sep 2008
This is an interesting article on the influence of Greek civilization on later Roman empire:

http://eu.greekreporter.com/2013/03/15/the-greek-influence-on-rome/
May 14, 2018 11:39 AM

May 2015
hysterical_ said:
Keaton's design looked similar to Dr Tenma from Monster. Indeed, the art style came from Urasawa, so it was not too surprising. :D

4 armed men can't defeat a man with a wooden spoon crafted into a handmade slingshot? Wow, I was impressed. Anyway, it set up a great impression with the mysteries and Keaton being a great main character.

Master Keaton might be Dr Tenma's twin brother XDDD
Aug 31, 2018 10:02 PM

Nov 2017
I like the music and setting, but hopefully the plots get better. So far I like it.
Oct 26, 2018 5:14 AM

Jul 2008
Well Mr. Keaton is more than he appears to be. This show has my undivided attention.
Sep 27, 2021 2:46 PM

Jun 2010
Keaton stealing a tape dispenser for no reason only to use it to save his life later is pretty silly, but I guess that's just the kind of show this is. I don't dislike it.
Apr 25, 2023 1:24 AM
Jul 2018
I finally found my historical-archaeological kick. Impressive episode! Great animation for the time and the scenery is beyond beautiful.

More topics from this board

» I like what I see but doesn't this show feel a tad boring?

anizawa89 - Apr 18

5 by Otakupervert890 »»
Apr 19, 7:19 AM

» Does its anime include ova fully adapt manga till the end ?

ISeeLifePeople - Jan 30

1 by JX-78-2 »»
Jan 30, 11:20 AM

Poll: » Master Keaton Episode 24 Discussion

thisiodfkln - Jul 11, 2011

10 by A1E1BA »»
Jan 14, 6:36 PM

Poll: » Master Keaton Episode 14 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Sep 3, 2009

17 by A1E1BA »»
Jan 7, 8:37 AM

Poll: » Master Keaton Episode 19 Discussion

thisiodfkln - Jul 5, 2011

12 by Rui_Rei »»
Nov 27, 2023 2:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.