Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 6, 2012 6:52 PM

Feb 2012
Wow, what a great episode. It brought up a lot of feelings inside of me, and I really have to just say that this anime speaks to me. I just love it, I really do. I don't even want to argue about how fantastic it is, because it just is. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Let me just point out a few things about this episode in particular...

I absolutely love how real Yasuko's family is. My favorite is point blank Kuri. She is beautiful, straight forward and blunt. I love that about her, I don't even care that she smokes! But really, I would love to stay the night at the Sugimoto household! It seems so fun, and lively. But wow, if I was Fumi... and Yasuko dropped a bomb like that on the first family meeting I would have died in shock. Especially when the only person I've come out to is my best friend, and that was hard enough.

But wow, even despite Kuri and her teasing... the whole family was very respectful of the whole thing. Even the mother, which is nice to see. But within a few minute span, Yasuko up and leaves Fumi there in the aftermath. I honestly would have been so nervous in that situation.... Fumi is really such a trooper.

But even after all that... is the relationship over? I didn't expect it to happen so soon... but I'd be a liar if I didn't expect this to happen at some point. I'm eager to see how Fumi reacts to it all... will she just let it happen?

Oh, sweet Fumi-chan! Be strong!
Jun 18, 2014 11:57 PM

Apr 2012
lmao that was MEGA awkward. Having your significant other come out of the closet to her family while you are there. o_O They took it pretty calmly til one of the sisters escalated the tension >.>

Aug 18, 2014 6:14 AM

Nov 2011
tehnominator said:
As I side note, I noticed something during the episode. When Shinako asks Yasuko if she's a lesbian, the camera cuts to Fumi and she twitches just slightly. Oh my. It seems that she's not quite ready to label herself as such, it seems. She's probably still scared about it. I just thought it was a nice touch, since the story deals on certain levels with the way Fumi has to accept her sexuality.

It's these subtle touches in this anime that draw me in even more. The human behaviour such as eye contact, facial expressions, and reactions are well executed; not overdone, and not to the point of indifference.
Nov 22, 2014 12:42 AM
Jun 2013
nice
Feb 20, 2015 2:40 PM

Dec 2012
Yasuko's family is great, the sisters all seem cool and it really does well at portraying Yasuko as being the youngest sibling, showing sides of herself to them that we haven't seen before. I was surprised by her coming out to her family, I thought they might have already known. I have to say though, her sister calling her out as bisexual has reaffirmed my belief that Yasuko is still in love with that teacher.

This breakup seemed inevitable and I'm really hoping to see Fumi and A-chan get together before the end. I love watching them get along.
Apr 14, 2015 12:24 AM

Sep 2014
AWKWARD, but it could have been much worse. Yasuko's got a nice family, even with that teasing from Kuri. The mother's hilarious..."I bet they already took it to the next level"
Jan 3, 2016 1:22 PM

Dec 2013
I am glad they clarified that Sempi is not a lesbian which I figured she wasn't anyway Fumi is just a safety net.
Mar 5, 2016 10:19 AM
Sep 2011
I'm I the only one who thinks that the eldest sister looks creepy ? her eyes look weird
May 5, 2016 6:18 PM

Jan 2014
Haha..I figured this episode would end the way it did.
Jan 21, 2017 1:39 AM

Oct 2012
IT'S HERE. Oh my god. Who didn't see it coming though? But still hurt anyway. Mostly after knowing their family. Like, I loved the sisters so much? AND I'VE BEEN WATCHING ANIME SINCE I WAS 4-5 YEARS OLD AND THAT WAS THE FIRST TIME I ACTUALLY HEARD "LESBIAN" AND "BISEXUAL" IN ONE. I'M PRETTY SURE OF IT.
This episode was just amazing, oh my god. Sad, bitter, but absolutely amazing.
Apr 6, 2017 7:22 AM
Jan 2012
^ Yeah, didn't expect terms like lesbian and bisexual to come up. Pretty cool.

Speaking of cool, I really liked Sugimoto's family. The smoker sister is probably the coolest of them, being so blunt and all. And the mother suggesting Sugimoto and Fumi already had sex was funny. I really liked how progressive that family was.
Apr 13, 2017 11:31 AM

Jun 2013
I apparently got way too invested in this pairing, mostly because I could see how obviously smitten Fumi was. I should have expected that Yasuko wasn't quite as serious, as she never really exhibited similarly intense feelings.

Perhaps I got a little too immersed into Fumi's perspective this time, because the entire coming out scene filled me with anxiety. I mean, Shinako is terrifying. After reading some of the comments in this thread, I was able to see that it's just a very tight-knit family, as opposed to Fumi's; it makes sense and it makes the mom and sisters a lot more normal. They really didn't react in a bad way at all, and the problem lied with Yasuko all along.

I already had a bad feeling when Yasuko completely ignored the fact that Fumi stood her up, and Fumi was tricked into thinking everything was fine. It was just eerily too easy. I'm really worried about Fumi now.

After Fumi invited herself over to Acchan's place, I thought the exact same thing as she did. Acchan really might be too kind. Acchan didn't agree, and this idea says more about Fumi than Acchan. Acchan is really her only family member that has her complete trust.
LeeTailorApr 13, 2017 11:50 AM
Mar 27, 2020 4:44 AM

Aug 2018
Well, I guess Fumi is less nervous around Akira.. But so far they don't really have any romantic feelings to each other, right?..
Though, it also seems that Fumi is running away from Sugimoto?.. Did Sugimoto's reaction to the teacher made Fumi like that?.. Fumi is afraid she'll lose Sugimoto, so abandoning her first, is that, what it is?..
4 Sugimoto sisters are famous, huh?.. I guess, it's also a pressure for them at the same time.. To achieve things.. Maybe..
Why sisters keep taking Fumi from Sugimoto?.. It's just strange.. Can't they just talk things with each other instead?.. When they finally can?.. I think sisters would want from Sugimoto to make up her mind on her own?.. Is that it?.. Or just feeling embarrassed listening to their talk?.. Well, noone forces you to listen, especially as house is pretty big, you can just do your own things..
So after all, Sugimoto just surrendered in front of pathologization of their relationship, because it might be an unhealthy relationship, because as a possible substitute for another person?.. All these things - just possibilities.. It really is just surrendering to pathologization..
Well.. Sugimoto and Fumi had nice relationship.. Visited places together, cared about each other, they really could be just a pair.. And only doubts of "possible substitute" - only a pathologization - is what destroyed their relationship.. That's how it is in my eyes.. But oh well, maybe they'll be able to adapt to changes, as human is able to adapt to many things.. But still in the end it's just feeling of bitter taste, just that some pathologization decided their relationship in the end.. What happens in life.. But both Fumi and Sugimoto are fragile like that..
Oct 31, 2021 9:46 AM

Jun 2016
Fumi went and met Sugimoto's mother and sisters'. Tbh, it felt a little too fast, so no surprise from me when it turned into somewhat of a 'coming to terms' kind of scenario. How will they move on from this that's the question now.

Can't say I was too impressed with Fumi's decision to stand up Sugimoto. Hard to say if there was a stable reason for doing so. At least they moved on from it.

Apr 3, 2022 9:05 PM

Jun 2014
Sugimoto's sisters are all tall as well. The teacher was nice, but the smoker has a bad attitude.

Sugimoto seems to put she and Fumi's relationship on hold. How is Fumi going to handle this?

Mar 6, 6:23 PM

Sep 2018
What a fascinating episode, might be my fav of the lot so far. Really interesting dynamics with Sugimoto's Family. Obviously, the second Sister had something going on with the teacher as well, at one stage.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aoi Hana Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

MRLX69 - Jul 1, 2009

129 by hagukoko »»
Mar 14, 9:22 PM

Poll: » Aoi Hana Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Fugles - Sep 9, 2009

127 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Mar 7, 11:38 AM

Poll: » Aoi Hana Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

FireReaverX - Jul 15, 2009

74 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Mar 5, 7:07 PM

Poll: » Aoi Hana Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ShanaFlame - Jul 8, 2009

80 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 7, 2023 7:06 PM

Poll: » Aoi Hana Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

starrysky - Sep 2, 2009

56 by Destroyer31 »»
Jun 10, 2023 10:33 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.