Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 7, 2008 2:16 PM

Sep 2007
Got very bored, and wanted to get some screenshots and images of Rena doing her abilities. This will also explain what some of Rena's moves actually do and their effects.

Rena Ryuugu

Who is Rena?
Rena is a red-haired girl who moved to the village of Hinamizawa one year ago. She is the same grade as Keiichi and has a sort of obsessoin with things she perceives as cute whilst these things are usually not considered cute by others. Rena likes to go treasure-hunting in the village's trash heap, looking for cute things to collect.
But there is also a scary side of Rena which shows whenever people take her too lightly and anger her. She is especially sensitive regarding anything about Oyashiro-sama.

Now most likely most of you who just read taht are going: "Jeez, I already know that! Now show me some damn screenies and information!"
Patients. There are some (unlikely) who haven't seen the anime (Blasphemy...) and need some information about that character... Anyway, continuing.

Choosing Rena and her Teams:

Versus Match:
For a regular versus match, to pick Rena, you'd move your cursor to her, and press the key to select (Whatever that is for you, I changed mine to wasd)

Story Mode:
For Story Mode, you can either choose:
The protagonists team (これぞ!主人公チーム) - Keiichi Maebara and Rena Ryuugu

or

Rena's take home team (レナのお持ち帰りチーム) - Rena Ryuugu and Rika Furude (Higurashi Daybreak Kai only)

Rena's Outfits:
In Higurashi Daybreak, you can only pick from Rena' school outfit.
In Higurashi Daybreak Kai, your able to pick from five different outfits that Rena has been seen wearing in the: Anime, Manga, and Visual Novel.

School Outfit:

Regular Outfit:

Gym Outfit:

Swinsuit Outfit:

Angel Mort Outfit:

These outfits are just for decoration have no different in playing, except you might distract your opponent (Human) due to Rena's sheer cuteness. My personal favorite is her regular outfit, since she looks completely badass with her enormous cleaver. second has to be angel mort, but that's for most of the characters. Heh.

Weapons of Rena and Abilites:
Most likey what you were looking for... These are just some images and facts of what they do and who they can be performed. I don't actually know the exact amount of damage an ability does, so bear with me till I get the information. And yes, for the images, Rena is in her regular outfit, so sue me, I actually like it.

Rena's Favorite Cleaver:
The cleaver is her balanced playstyle. While she doesn't have the melee range or ranged damage output of Keiichi's bat, her melee attacks are stronger and faster.

Aww isn't she cute with that deadly cleaver between her hands... wait what?

Regular attack:

Pretty basic. Hitting this key repeating, allows her to perform a combo onto an enemy allowing you to do quite a bit of damage and knocking them over.

AoE Melee Attack:

By hitting the attack and side + foward, Rena is able to execute a type of twirl that allows her to strike all opponents stand around her. Very useful for someone behind you, or getting ganged.

Throwing Ability:

Pretty basic as well. She throws her cleaver in straight and it can hit an opponent that is standing its way [Note: All characters have ammo, so if you use up the ammo bar, you have to wait for it to refill]

Throwing Ability (Yellow Bar Charge):

When you hold down the button for Rena's throwing ability and let go, she throws a lighter (I.E. Rena's arc) which can explode causing a crap load of damage and send your opponent flying.

Throwing Ability (Red Bar Charge):

Her ultimate move, she can throw two (where did the other one come from?!) spinning cleavers which can catch an opponent, pulling them backwards while taking damage from the cleavers. Very fun to use. [Note: Since it is a Red Bar Charge, it doesn't have any ammo so you're able to spam it quite easily.]

Blade Split Axe:
The axe offers a brutal playstyle, though at the expense of her ranged attacks: wide area oriented, but much less accurate.

She's still cute, even if she's holding a deadly weapon.

Regular attack:

Much broader sweep attack, but somewhat slower than Rena's Favorite Cleaver. Also has the ability to combo if the attack button is smashed repeatedly.

AoE Melee Attack:

More or less the same as Rena's Favorite Cleaver's AoE Melee Attack.

Throwing Ability:

Yes, I know its a misnomer, but bear with me. Instead of a throwing ability, Rena has the ability to ground smash the area in front of her. Quite deadly if one is caught in it

I think she threw... Actually I have no idea what the hell she threw. It was in a blue box and she threw it. I think they're some type of food, when she was giving it to Keiichi or something... Basically the 'food thingys' ignite the ground, causing anyone to step in to ignite, lose control of their character and run around like a moron.

BURN MY PRETTY BURN!

At first I had no idea what the in the world she threw. When I paused the game and took this screenshot I laughed my head off. This is the KFC Colonel, who is full of those 'food thingys'... The poor Colonel explodes and releases a barrage of 'food thingys' igniting the ground again and same effect as above.

THE COLONEL HASN'T DIED IN VAIN!

Here I like to give one note.

This is Rena when ever she wins a match with either Rena's Favorite Cleaver or Blade Split Axe. Basically her play-style for her next weapon is completely different and shows a different side of Rena.

Ironclad Cleaver: (Higurashi Daybreak Kai only)
The huge ironclad cleaver drastically changes her playstyle. Because of the blade heaviness, she cannot cancel her attacks, moves rather slowly, dashes on the ground for a much shorter distance and drains her stamina bar quicker on aerial movements. However, her attack power is extremely powered up, while her defense power halves the damage she takes and also offers her some resilience on hit stun, much like Oyashiro Hypermode. Also, her voice changes to reflect her delusional state when wielding this blade.

Rena is still cute, even if she's gone a little psycho and delusional.... Right? Right...?

Regular attack:

Rena's regular attacks are now massive swings, and cannot be canceled by jumping or using abilities. But to make up for the massive time to swing the Ironclad cleaver, if one is to get hit, you sustain a huge of damage (1/4 to 1/3 of their health bar) and get knocked back. I've tried, but I believe she's lost the ability to combo with the Ironclad cleaver, as the first hit usually is a killer.

AoE Melee Attack:

Rena's Aoe is quite deadly as if it by, you automatically get knocked back away for a long distance. She spins around with her cleaver about 3-4 times, giving her enough time to strike at all enemies around her. Fantastic ability to escape ganging and surprise attacks.

Throwing Ability:

Again, like the Blade Split Axe, it isn't a real throwing ability, as much as ground smash. But the AoE of it has drastically increased and quite deadly if hit by it.

Apparently Rena is so powerful, that one swing of her blade can create a gust of damaging wind! I'm glad I'm on her side. Like all throwing abilities it does have ammo (huah?) and needs to be recharged when used more than twice. Has chain knockback ability like Rena's Favorite Cleaver's Red Bar Throw.

Rena's Ultimate Throw Period. Takes a couple seconds to swing as Rena does a full 360 and throws her Ironclad Cleaver toward her enemies. Explodes on impact and does a huge amount of damage.

If Rena wins with Ironclad Cleaver (If you lose, for shame...):

As you can clearly see her express is much more insane, and her answers to winning are quite freaky if terrifying. Especially her awesome psycho laugh.

Eh.
That's all for the character Rena Ryuugu in Higurashi Daybreak, and I hope enjoyed reading this as much as I wrote this.
Any questions or suggestions, just post below.
divinecowFeb 5, 2008 4:27 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jan 7, 2008 6:19 PM
Nov 2007
Beautiful description buddy. Good work.

Suggestions: maybe you could also describe Rena's special attack when she is in one of the hypermodes?
And describe how each of the modes affect her attacks?

This is a very good piece of work man. Please do one for Mion or Tomitake too.
Jan 7, 2008 6:27 PM

Sep 2007
Yeah no problem.
I'll also add in later how to select the weapons since they're in Japanese XD
Jan 7, 2008 6:56 PM
Nov 2007
lol I never learned how to read any of the japanese words but I can still navigate through the screens just fine. Also, there is already a guide for that here
http://ikusat.mac.org/higu/index.php/Main_Page
Also has some useful data tables on each character's stats.
Sep 3, 2008 3:16 AM
Sep 2008
Ahaah! I always thought her yellow charge attack for the Axe was fire from a small gascan. 0.o But I digress.

Can't wait to play this online with you guys~
Dec 11, 2008 1:07 PM

May 2008
Actually, it's possible for Rena to combo with her Ironclad Cleaver. If you for instance do a vertical slash, you can respond with a followed horizontal one. I don't remember exactly how though, since I don't main her, but it hurts big times.
May 1, 2011 2:11 PM

Apr 2011
I'd like to get Higurashi Daybreak Kai soon.

Do they make it in english, or just a Japanese import
Teehee. I didn't bother putting a signature here.... so get over it >.<
Jun 22, 2011 8:41 AM
Jan 2009
I'm working on a translation patch. (menus only at present)
Jun 24, 2011 5:46 PM

Sep 2007
Roger_Pepitone said:
I'm working on a translation patch. (menus only at present)

It's got some cutscenes and dialogue translated, as well ;)
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» New English Patch

Nightfight3 - Apr 26, 2021

0 by Nightfight3 »»
Apr 26, 2021 10:32 AM

» English Translation Patch ( 1 2 )

Roger_Pepitone - Mar 23, 2009

65 by fiammestryx »»
Mar 31, 2012 3:55 AM

» Need Help / Tips?

Yopee - Dec 29, 2007

9 by JeanAHough »»
Jun 30, 2011 2:11 PM

» I just got an "D3DX9_25.DLL WAS NOT FOUND" what shall i do?

ruthielmoore - Jun 22, 2011

0 by ruthielmoore »»
Jun 22, 2011 11:18 AM

» Windows 7?

phfatbeatrice - Mar 19, 2011

2 by phfatbeatrice »»
Mar 27, 2011 10:15 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.