Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 10, 2009 2:21 PM

Jun 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
It was nice to see the relation of both of them are still nice and good.
Oct 4, 2010 10:03 AM

Jun 2009
Really, though, look at Youko now and go back and watch the first episode. You would probably think she's a completely different character. I may of finally found someone to replace Asuka on top of my favorite character list and even if she doesn't she's gonna be on the list at the end of this series I can promise you that.

Anyway, this arc was a good arc I thought. Taiki was a good lead and I find his story and his present circumstances intriguing. But, unfortunately, I hear his story never get's fully told. Even so, it was good to get a Kirin's point of view and Keiki's past was told to a point.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jan 1, 2011 5:47 AM

Jun 2010
Freaking awesome to see Youko and Rakshun back ! Rakshun is cute as always !
I liked how he was surprised. <3 <3 cute
and Youko talking at end was awesome. =D
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 18, 2011 8:29 PM

Sep 2008
I felt kind of bad for Youko in this episode... You'd think that her idea of a good ruler is really a much better one than the seemingly traditional ideal that everyone else is telling her about. "Be more arrogant"? When has that ever been good advice? And ugh, some of her 'advisors' or the other dudes on the board... Mean. :( Not Youko's fault they all look the same and mistook one guy for the other...

In any case, it was freaking awesome, as pieceofshota said, to see both Youko and Rakushun again. :D Looking forward to many more episodes with them!
Mar 24, 2012 11:18 AM
Apr 2009
Seriously, this is really boring...
Mar 31, 2013 7:48 PM

Apr 2010
I agree that they need to lay off of her. At least she's trying and not being a lazy cow but people are always too blind to see the good in things. *rolls eyes*

Mar 3, 2014 11:51 PM

Jul 2008
I think her "advisors" are just waiting to manipulate her and Keiki isn't helping matters. Good to see Rakushun again.
Mar 26, 2014 4:49 AM

Aug 2013
She should ask Rakushun to be her advisor >__>
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jul 26, 2014 5:15 AM

Nov 2011
Shit's starting to feel like Ginei or Koukaku Kidoutai. I can feel that they are hinting the intensive politics that is to yet to come.
Jan 14, 2015 12:32 PM

Jan 2012
neoalexys said:

yeah man this episode was boring

Aug 19, 2015 3:13 AM

Oct 2014
neoalexys said:
Sep 21, 2015 4:55 PM
May 2015
the relation of between Rakushun and youko is strong! I like how they handle youko devellopement so far. Pretty good episode
Nov 8, 2015 11:31 PM

Dec 2013
Basically an update on both Youko and Rakushun's lives since over throwing the false queen and the fall of King Kou, as well as a prelude to the next arc; government reformation. A topic that's only interesting when there are swords involved. This is my favorite arc in this series.
Kuro_YuukiNov 8, 2015 11:39 PM
Matsuoka Yoshitsugu has hardly any range as a voice actor, and is grossly over-cast.

Yeah. I said it.
Dec 17, 2015 7:37 PM

Feb 2013
The previous arc should never have existed. This fits in after the first arc.
Dec 28, 2016 7:42 PM
Oct 2014
The messenger bird is such a great, weird concept. Plus, it's a little thing, but I really love the way Rakushun crawled like a rat for a moment after getting out of bed.

The main thing I took away from this episode is that the society in this world is absolute hell, and rigidly class-based. The big question for this series at this point is what exactly the "Heavens" are and the nature of the alleged "gods" who reside in them, because they clearly don't have wholly benevolent intentions when they assign 30+ pointless buildings for their divinely-mandated monarch and do absolutely nothing about refugees. So far, the only counterpoint we've gotten to people's unthinking worship of them is Rakushun saying he doesn't even believe in them, which indicates there may be a more scientific explanation for the existence of the Kirin.

I wonder where this is all leading.
Dec 31, 2016 11:57 PM

Aug 2014
the last arc was incomplete so what was the point of adding it
Xtina is my mother!
Nov 7, 2018 11:37 PM

Sep 2017
People typically think what's considered as a good person or a good ruler today should also be considered so in a different social system. It's not true.

In modern democracy, politicians gain their legitimacy through the consent of the people. Therefore an effective rule involves being allying oneself with the common people. If the public servants refuses to listen to the elected leader or legislator, they will have to deal with the backfire from the civil society.

In the"ancient" system of Juuni Kokuki, the king can wield his power only as long as the public servants fear the king. If you act too congenial and egalitarian, the likely result is that your servants would think they can disobey you with impunity. Then you will no longer have any effective control of the people who actually run the country. They will start running the country without your supervision, and so each of them will use the state machinery in pursue of personal gains. You may care a lot about the common people who suffers, but you will have no real political power in making any change. You would not be considered as an ruthless king, but an impotent one.

Acting nobly, preserving a sense of mystery, and inspiring awe and respect are very important for an effective rule for Chinese emperors in actual history. Different political system requires a different set of political skills and virtues. It's naive to think ancient people would think highly of modern morality because we ourselves regard our values as superior, especially when it doesn't work in their system. Sent our best politician to ancient Egypt or Imperial Rome and see what sort of political chaos s/he would cause just because s/he doesn't know how to properly rule.

Juuni Kokuki is much more mature than most of the "isekai" show today in it's treatment of ancient politics. A typical isekai hero today would have freed slavery and reformed corrupted religious institution and even established a parliament with a wave of hand, never having to worry about causing a civil war or coup d'etat. Ancient politics is just not that easy.
CHCNov 7, 2018 11:48 PM
Sep 29, 2019 10:15 PM

Jul 2016
is it just me or why do i feel as if we have reached youko's peak too fast? she's the empress, has been for quite some time... and now it's just her trying to figure out the politics, duties, and what kind of attitude she must have as empress of the kei kingdom... but what else is there... i mean, we're only halfway through the anime and i'm already wanting to return to takasato's story, although without sugimoto. (because i really can't get rid of the grudge lol)
i'm hoping they introduce some more elements into the plot. like some new characters, or go onto developing the other kingdoms - that is a great well that can be tapped into. i'd love to see the other kingdoms and what every emperor/empress and their kirin look like. (doubt we have enough time for all of them however...)

thank god she changed her name from sekishi to sekiraku, sekishi sounded like sexy and i can't take that seriously
Oct 27, 2019 12:59 PM

May 2015
I really enjoy this episode.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Aug 25, 2021 9:22 AM

Nov 2016
I like how the relationship between Youko and Rakushun is portrayed. They genuinely care for each other. If this was a modern isekai then things would look differently. Although, to be fair, how this series handles it's narrative has hardly anything in common with these power fantasies.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 28, 2022 9:35 AM
Nov 2020
The last part was beautiful. About Rakushun and how she took a part of his name “ra” for her name.
Dec 26, 2023 1:32 PM

Apr 2017
Reply to CHC
People typically think what's considered as a good person or a good ruler today should also be considered so in a different social system. It's not true.

In modern democracy, politicians gain their legitimacy through the consent of the people. Therefore an effective rule involves being allying oneself with the common people. If the public servants refuses to listen to the elected leader or legislator, they will have to deal with the backfire from the civil society.

In the"ancient" system of Juuni Kokuki, the king can wield his power only as long as the public servants fear the king. If you act too congenial and egalitarian, the likely result is that your servants would think they can disobey you with impunity. Then you will no longer have any effective control of the people who actually run the country. They will start running the country without your supervision, and so each of them will use the state machinery in pursue of personal gains. You may care a lot about the common people who suffers, but you will have no real political power in making any change. You would not be considered as an ruthless king, but an impotent one.

Acting nobly, preserving a sense of mystery, and inspiring awe and respect are very important for an effective rule for Chinese emperors in actual history. Different political system requires a different set of political skills and virtues. It's naive to think ancient people would think highly of modern morality because we ourselves regard our values as superior, especially when it doesn't work in their system. Sent our best politician to ancient Egypt or Imperial Rome and see what sort of political chaos s/he would cause just because s/he doesn't know how to properly rule.

Juuni Kokuki is much more mature than most of the "isekai" show today in it's treatment of ancient politics. A typical isekai hero today would have freed slavery and reformed corrupted religious institution and even established a parliament with a wave of hand, never having to worry about causing a civil war or coup d'etat. Ancient politics is just not that easy.
@CHC That's what makes this episode interesting. She's trying to be polite and not cause trouble. Yet, she allowed the officials to make the decisions. They were literally laughing at her, but she was still meek and said "do as you wish". Girl... Do you not see what's wrong with that???

More topics from this board

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - Mar 7, 2008

50 by BarronRobinson »»
Apr 13, 2:35 AM

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 10 Discussion

kie_ - Aug 8, 2009

25 by BarronRobinson »»
Apr 11, 6:41 AM

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - Mar 2, 2008

51 by BarronRobinson »»
Apr 10, 2:09 AM

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 5 Discussion

kie_ - Aug 8, 2009

36 by BarronRobinson »»
Apr 8, 5:38 PM

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 3 Discussion

Scribbly - Oct 14, 2008

40 by HagePotPotato »»
Apr 8, 8:03 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.