3It was OK
28.8%
2Disliked it
13.0%
1Hated it
3.4%
Average 3.6
146 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 6, 2008 10:53 AM

Oct 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

WOOHO!!!
OKAWARI is here XD

Firstly the OP is in my opinion the best so far of the new season anime. The OP is also alot more WTF than in the first serie XD

Oh it's so nice to have Minami-ke back. It's almost like it just never ended.

Who has any problems with the new art now? This even has a better budget. I say this will surpass the first.
nodoka-koiJan 6, 2008 2:25 PM

My dear weak spacenoids. THAT LEVEL OF LOVE CAN'T BREAK MY BODY OF STEEL!
Jan 6, 2008 11:59 AM
Jun 2007
Yeah, I think the OP's better as well. Sorry guys, I think this one's gonna be better than the other one.
Jan 6, 2008 2:41 PM

Aug 2007
where the hell did u get the episode?
Jan 6, 2008 2:46 PM

Oct 2007
Like, all animes air on TV. It's not all that hard.

My dear weak spacenoids. THAT LEVEL OF LOVE CAN'T BREAK MY BODY OF STEEL!
Jan 6, 2008 2:55 PM

Aug 2007
nodoka-koi said:

ok?? so i assume u live in japan or have satellite right?
Jan 6, 2008 3:20 PM

Nov 2007
Well. I loved the first episode. Minami-ke ~okawari~ WINS.

I love the opening even though it doesn't really fit the series. XD I mean it sounds like a shounen series opening theme! XDDDDD

Anyways me loves this <33333333333333333

Can't wait for next week's episode, nuh-huh. :3
Jan 6, 2008 10:42 PM
May 2007
Only seen the OP so far but it reminds me A LOT of Initial D, the music especially at the part where it pans across the classroom and glasses swapping part has an identical tune to either the Second Stage or Extra Stage, can't find the exact time but I do swear that I've heard it before. >_<
Jan 7, 2008 1:39 AM

Aug 2007
THE EYES ARE ANNOYING anything other is the same or great! But its the same anime can be better it is a spin-off.
Jan 7, 2008 9:51 AM

Aug 2007
i didn't like it. the animation is bad. the op is just plain... bad! it's not so funny anymore and it has lots of stupid fanservice that the first season didn't.. the characters look far worse than i have imagined after watching the pv.. oh yeah, and haruka has floating saggy boobs, i don't remember those from the first season. i'm not really interested in the next episodes :<
Jan 7, 2008 9:56 AM

Jul 2007
I agree there was a little too much fanservice, and also Harukas boobs were too big :p But other than that it delivered good fun and quality anime, once you got used to the different (not bad, just different!) character art.. I also like the OP a lot.. even tho the OP of the 1st season might have fit a little better to the genre.

Maybe the ecchi stuff will stop in future episodes!
Jan 7, 2008 2:15 PM

Mar 2007
the animation is kinda of really awkward , especially in the opening ....or the ending..
But the humor is still there so that's good..i guess..
poor Mako-chan . lol .

(made by MistaCloudStrife ^^)
Jan 7, 2008 10:26 PM
Nov 2007

I find it funny how you would add something after you've answered the question. I also don't think you watched it on TV but then again, that's a whole new different topic.

Anyway, I don't like the change of staff. The opening didn't have the same comical happy feeling. It felt more like a Genshiken sort-of theme. I also didn't like the fanservice, I just don't think Minami-ke should be an ecchi series. In all, I thought it was alright though albeit awkward...
Jan 8, 2008 7:52 AM

Nov 2007
Intresting and indeed I loved the opening
Jan 14, 2008 10:07 PM

Jun 2007
ephemeralM said:
oh yeah, and haruka has floating saggy boobs
Those are knees...

I found this episode really funny even though I understood 2% of what they were saying. Luckily this blog helped me understand what I missed. It shouldn't be surprising at the amount of fan-service because at the end of the last episode of the first series they showed how this episode was an onsen episode and that guarantees they'll be a lot. I like how they picked up right were the last one left off with the traps and all. The hair color change will take some getting used to but it'll be alright. The seiyuus are the same and it looks like they'll be returning to the usual school thing next episode. Its great to have more Minami-ke!

I wish a subbing group would pick it up though...

Jan 16, 2008 3:45 PM

Sep 2007
Ayako dropped it. And what now?
Jan 21, 2008 6:26 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Right, the hell was this. The confusion at the onsen was funny but the rest was pretty average for a Minami-ke episode. I hope it picks up in the next episode.

I didn't expect this much fanservice, but I like the slight changes in the animation.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jan 21, 2008 9:08 AM

Jul 2007
I actually liked the animation of the first Minami-ke series better than this one, it seems like the facial expressions in this one are a lot less detailed.
Anyways this episode wasn't as funny as I was hoping but the scene where Fujioka gets mixed up with the baths was pretty funny.
Jan 21, 2008 9:36 AM

May 2007
I was pretty disappointed. I really liked the first series and this didn't have the same comic timing or pacing, I thought. Like the way Chiaki throws the bear at Kana was just kind of sped-through and there was a really quick flash of the "adult glare" but you barely had time to see it much less have it sink in... and I did prefer the art (and the lack of fan service) in the first series as well. I thought the gender confusion was funny -- but attributable to the mangaka and not the production company... as if it would have been funnier if it had been in the first series. Does that make sense?
Jan 21, 2008 11:11 AM

Oct 2006
I agree with what's been said. The first series is still tops. Except for the onsen confusion at the end, it just wasn't as funny/enjoyable. But maybe the new studio is still finding it's pace for the show. Or maybe it was the subs.

And what was up with the ED? The perspective seemed off. Was Kana supposed to be crouched over sticking her butt out while she walked? It was like some deformed grandma power walking/hobbling along the tracks.
Jan 21, 2008 11:58 AM

Jan 2007
I for one really enjoyed this episode. I won't be comparing it to the first season since its only the first episode. Anyways, I like to new OP, its a nice song. The ED not so much. The animation was weird at times but I like the new character models. I really wasn't bothered by the fanservice cause I didn't consider them fanservice. I mean, they are at an Onsen so it's not like they are forcing shots like some of the other shows this season. I look forward to the coming episodes especially when the other characters start showing up.
Jan 21, 2008 12:34 PM

Mar 2007
It wasn't that bad and I enjoyed it.
Of course, it wasn't as good as Minami-Ke's best episodes, but you should remember that this is only the first episode... :\
Anyway it was funny and although I could never tell who Fujioka was if they hadn't mentioned his name, the animation is not -that- bad.

OP is good (Minami-Ke's was better), ED is less so.
Jan 21, 2008 2:50 PM

Dec 2007
Episode wasn't too bad, the first series wasn't over the top funny to begin with so I wasn't expecting this to be. Plus there are plenty of episodes left so can't really judge much. Also, I'm kind of confused about all the fan service complaints from people... only thing I noticed was one thing at the very end with the towel sliding down Kana's back. Other than that it was just your generic "naked people in water you can't see through" hot springs episode which I never count as fan service.
Jan 21, 2008 3:01 PM

Apr 2007
Faust721 said:
I for one really enjoyed this episode. I won't be comparing it to the first season since its only the first episode. Anyways, I like to new OP, its a nice song. The ED not so much. The animation was weird at times but I like the new character models. I really wasn't bothered by the fanservice cause I didn't consider them fanservice. I mean, they are at an Onsen so it's not like they are forcing shots like some of the other shows this season. I look forward to the coming episodes especially when the other characters start showing up.

100% agreed.

I liked it alot actually, this op's better than the first seasons even if the first season fit the theme better. And as for the fanservice, there at an Onsen for crying out loud. What, their gonna go in the baths fully clothed or something? -.-''

I'll be looking forward to more!~
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 21, 2008 3:12 PM

May 2007
I guess there was something about the way it was drawn that seemed more fan service-y to me here than what I was expecting... maybe it was the degree of curves or the timing of it or the fact that the ED is just Kana swinging her ass for over a minute... but it just felt more like fan service, you know? Whereas in the first series, there was underwear and skirt grabbing and partial dress and etc. and I actually had never considered it fan service; it was always just funny. Isn't it a matter of a difference in intent/purpose or, rather, perceived intent/purpose?

I'll keep on watching, out of optimism mainly, but how can you help but compare it? It's the same characters in the same setting doing very similar things. If it was the same studio doing season 2, I'd be making the same observations if this was what they came out with, no?
Jan 21, 2008 4:18 PM

Dec 2007
The word of the day is "different". Hopefully they tone down the whole moving ahoge thing on Chiaki, was a bit distracting IMO. And Chiaki's hair is two toned, and blonde.. but I'll definitely get used to that. It was kind of interesting to watch the show exactly where it left off but with a different production company. It beat my expectations for the show anyway. The only thing I didn't care for were the OP and ED, it seems like some people liked them, I certainly preferred the S1's much much more. And the GC subs weren't that bad ^_^
RoadLord said:
the animation is not -that- bad.

Agreed, I liked the style of S1 better, especially the hair, but Okawari is certainly watchable, will take a bit of getting used to though :X

GG Okawari, I'll be waiting for more.
KonfigJan 21, 2008 4:23 PM
Jan 21, 2008 9:40 PM

Jan 2008
I liked it, seemed to pick up right where the last one left off and I was pleasantly surprised that the bgm transfered over too. As far as the fan service goes, it didn't seem as bad as people described it. The only character that they seemed to up the sexuality of was Kana (which is pretty weird considering she is a middle schooler) and they also made her larger which just makes the series' continuity inaccurate (I remember a joke about her size compared to Haruka in the first series). I'm not a fan of the animation, but it is not terrible looking, just not the Minami-ke I remember. The jokes are still there, I'm just waiting for a Hosaka sighting!
Jan 21, 2008 9:44 PM

Oct 2007
It was Ok, It not as good as the original minami, maybe my expectations were just too much...
Also the only subbers are not very good, but there is no other choice...

Lastly when they have facial expressions, it just looks so wrong/wierd... the first minami had it better...
It was not exciting at first, but i guess seeing Mako-chan in that situation, it lifted my spirit a bit...
I am no longer expecting too much from this show, just ride it out and hope it improved the art style...
Jan 21, 2008 9:58 PM

Jun 2007
Am I the only one that finds the opening of the show scary lol?

I thought this ep was ok. It wasnt as funny as the first season but it was still pretty funny, the ending was the funniest part. So far I think the first season was better but this is only the first ep so who knows how it will be later on.
Jan 22, 2008 9:37 AM

Nov 2007
I miss season 1. The comic timing isn't as good this time around and the new art kinda bothers me. Not bad overall, but not EPIC LULZ. Of course, I will still keep watching it and hope it picks up a bit. The first season wasn't so hot the first few eps either.
Jan 22, 2008 10:39 AM

Aug 2007
New OP is meh (only good thing is Hosaka of course) and the ED is crap.

And why is my Chiaki (yes she's mine) now blonde?! That wiggling hair on top of her head was annoying me a fair bit.

First episode didn't seem to great, hopefully it will improve.

Jan 22, 2008 11:23 AM
Aug 2007
Pretty good, the second half was funnier that the first. OP is insanely unfitting and what's up with giant Chiaki? Art style isn't too different, sometimes its better IMO.
Of course, as many have said before, I have to bear in mind that this was the first ep, plus I didn't really like the first season's first few episodes, but it picked up after that. I'm hoping future scenes that actually leave me laughing like in the first season.
Jan 22, 2008 1:00 PM
Aug 2007
I think the first season had better art and animation and most of the season one episodes were funnier. The Onsen part was okay, even though the art made it feel a bit more like fanservice.

Only seen the first episode yet, so I guess it might get better/I'll get used to it.. :)

It will get better when Hosaka arrives. Lol xD
Jan 22, 2008 5:45 PM
Oct 2007
Hmmm

Felt un-great to me.

Wasn't awful though either.
Jan 22, 2008 6:29 PM

Nov 2004
Some different art indeed, was nice imo =) bit overkill on haruka boobs tho
Jan 22, 2008 7:12 PM
Jun 2007
I won't be comparing this to the first season. I think episode 1 was pretty good, and I would rate this 7/10 thus far. I like the opening, but as some people say, it doesn't have the comedy-kind-of-feeling in it. I don't like ending, one, cuz the music doesn't fit the series, its more a drama-kind-of-music. Two, its just Kana walking.. lol It would've been better if they were to put the three sisters walking and they meet people, etc. you know what I mean.

Overall, the first episode was pretty funny. I look forward on how they're going to entertain me on this spin-off.
Jan 22, 2008 8:05 PM

Nov 2007
I"m sorry, but I have to disagree with all of you. This was horrid, almost unwatchable. I have never watched an anime that actually bored me before. I did not laugh once and I couldn't get into it at all. I might keep watching it if more subs come out just to give it the old "college try", but...

Ugh. First series was better. The OP was okay, thought; I will give it that.
Jan 22, 2008 8:13 PM

Dec 2007
Zarggg said:
I"m sorry, but I have to disagree with all of you. This was horrid, almost unwatchable. I have never watched an anime that actually bored me before. I did not laugh once and I couldn't get into it at all. I might keep watching it if more subs come out just to give it the old "college try", but...

Ugh. First series was better. The OP was okay, thought; I will give it that.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Although I think too many people come into this show (and this includes S1 as well) expecting epic lulz, such as in Azumanga Daioh for example. I think the show is going for something more along the lines of an Aria feel, just something sweet to watch with lovable characters. This is much more 'Slice of Life' than 'Comedy'. More people would enjoy the show if they realized and understood this.
Jan 23, 2008 3:01 AM

Dec 2007
Konfig said:
This is much more 'Slice of Life' than 'Comedy'. More people would enjoy the show if they realized and understood this.

That about sums it up. I detest the slice of life genre for the most part just because I end up falling asleep most of the time trying to watch it (ie. Clannad) but for some reason the first season of Minami-ke set this season up to be pretty enjoyable for myself. Just enough humor to not make me pass out.
Jan 23, 2008 4:38 PM

Oct 2007
i have to agree i didnt even laugh or have a smile on my face in this episode. the theme was great though. the only thing that was amusing was makochan and touma. oh, can i just say they absolutely killed fujioka?! he's completely different.... and i was expecting kana to like kick the crap outta him after he opened the door rather than her just going into the onsen.

the whole onsen bit was quite overdone as well. there were quite a few "fanservice" shots.

though i do love the artwork in general though <3 except for fujioka haha....

i'll just have to see how the seires comes along. but this episode was ok.nothing special, not really all that terrible or unwatchable either.
Jan 23, 2008 4:58 PM

Sep 2007
kab3451 said:
oh, can i just say they absolutely killed fujioka?! he's completely different.....

...I didn't even know it was Fujioka until someone mentioned him by name and I was like, "Really? WHERE?"
Jan 24, 2008 4:42 AM
Jun 2007
uhhh.. Looking at the comments about the show, I don't think this is going to beat the first season... lol People were just so attached to the first, and I'm one of them.

I don't know, but I think the first season was adapted and followed the manga, while this one is a complete alternate retelling. Guess no one beats the original. lol But still, you'll never know. =P
giossJan 24, 2008 4:46 AM
Jan 24, 2008 8:37 AM

Nov 2007
I didn't like the fanservice at all, but the rest of the episode was no so bad. I think I'll watch it even if I'm not expecting anything special :D

Also, I didn't like both the opening and the ending :(
Jan 24, 2008 7:56 PM

Dec 2007
I'm afraid I was very disappointed in the first episode.

The art, the characters, the comedy, it all seemed... off compared to the first season. The first season was charminly funny, this episode was just... flat. Unless things change for the better quickly, I'm not sure if I will even continue watching this season. Sigh.
Jan 25, 2008 3:51 AM

Feb 2007
kasumisama said:
I miss season 1. The comic timing isn't as good this time around and the new art kinda bothers me. Not bad overall, but not EPIC LULZ. Of course, I will still keep watching it and hope it picks up a bit. The first season wasn't so hot the first few eps either.

Yeah, it took 3 episodes for me to really get into Season 1. And this first episode of Okawari was really iffy all over the place with little inconsistencies that bothered me. I really don't have the time to be watching a lot of Winter Season Anime (this is my 3rd one, Shigofumi will be the 4th and final one once I find time to start it) so if this doesn't improve by Episode 4, I'll most likely be dropping this.
Jan 26, 2008 3:27 PM

Jul 2007
ayako released theirs!(i was about to watch the GSS subs but i suddenly saw ayakos and got that XD

touma was cute, and i think im the only one who's not disturbed by that wiggling ahoge and found it cute. it seems it hasb een a while since i watched the last episode and i didnt notice the color change in chiaki's hair...and to think she's my favorite of the 3 sisters XD
Jan 26, 2008 3:58 PM

Nov 2007
I liked it a lot! I doubt it will be better than the first series. I liked the character designs better before but it's interesting seeing them like this, too...
Jan 26, 2008 7:37 PM
May 2007
I can see how so many people dislike it but the first episode was just as good/bad as the first episode of the first season. If this series was aired first (Ignoring how the characters are introduced) then a lot more people would have liked it. The animation quality may be lower but there are many worse anime out there.

Overall I enjoyed this episode quite a lot. 7/10 using the Zarin scale, 9/10 if you don't understand the Zarin scale.
Feb 1, 2008 9:10 AM

Dec 2007
Feb 8, 2008 1:15 PM

May 2007
While the humor is still somewhat the same, I didn’t like all the fanservice. Its not what this series is about. I don’t know I could be just a stickler and need to adapt abit.
Mar 26, 2008 2:11 AM

Dec 2007
That was pretty good but it lost allot of what the series originally had.

I'll keep an open mind though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Minami-ke ~Okawari~ Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

zvuc - Mar 31, 2008

85 by Cabbage_Cat »»
May 23, 2023 8:45 AM

Poll: » Minami-ke ~Okawari~ Episode 10 Discussion

cyruz - Mar 11, 2008

35 by Cabbage_Cat »»
May 22, 2023 11:25 AM

Poll: » Minami-ke ~Okawari~ Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Faust721 - Mar 4, 2008

54 by ugly-edge »»
Apr 12, 2023 1:17 PM

Poll: » Minami-ke ~Okawari~ Episode 6 Discussion

Faust721 - Feb 12, 2008

28 by Cabbage_Cat »»
Apr 5, 2023 9:47 AM

Poll: » Minami-ke ~Okawari~ Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

playconn - Feb 5, 2008

54 by Cabbage_Cat »»
Apr 5, 2023 9:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.