Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 7, 2009 4:58 PM

May 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This show is quite the hidden gem, glad I gave it a chance 9/10
Oct 31, 2009 9:27 PM
Jul 2007
i saw this series' dub on TV over a year ago and i absolutely loved the story. its a shame its so underrated, but i can see how it isnt exactly for everyone. i must say, though, it has one of THE most satisfying endings ive ever seen in an anime. its one of my top personal faves.

9/10
...we're here because we're here because we're here because we're here because we're here because we're here because we're here because we're here because we're here because we're here because we're here...
Jan 7, 2010 4:02 PM

Apr 2009
Great last episode but...not much of an epilogue for Thoma... Just him standing with his monkey? Is that it for the poor guy?

Jan 13, 2010 7:51 PM
Nov 2009
Jan 21, 2010 5:59 PM

Apr 2009

Jan 23, 2010 11:28 AM

Apr 2009
I've just finished this and must say that I love it.

9/10

It's too bad that there are some anime that are overrated and suck and anime like this one with amazing story that sadly are left in the shadows.
May 27, 2010 6:31 PM

Apr 2010
Waffocopter said:
Great last episode but...not much of an epilogue for Thoma... Just him standing with his monkey? Is that it for the poor guy?

This is true. Too bad. I cared less about Tina/Helga than the rest of them, so I was a little bit disappointed that she got the most focus at the end. Though I suppose it was appropriate...

Still, great ending to a great series. Beautiful art, wonderful music, great characters, and certainly one of the best stories I've seen animated in quite a while.

EDIT: OK, now that I watched the extended ending, I'm good. : ) But I still feel that Thoma and Chitto were neglected.
plagalcadenceMay 27, 2010 6:54 PM
Sep 4, 2010 6:15 PM

Mar 2008
Perfect ending, just how I wanted...

I think a 10/10 from me XD
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 21, 2011 12:34 PM

Jun 2010
Started off iffy but second half it just started to amaze me especially the ending.Such a good ending as mentioned before need's more of an emphasis on Thoma and Chitto but yeah :( it's over.
Riveting is rosy, pockets full of posies, given to the mother of the deceased. Awaken at war, 'til I'm restin' in peace
Dec 3, 2011 8:49 AM
Dec 2010
This was pretty good anime.
Only thing, since I'm stubborn, a sucker for romance, i would be much happier to see Soran and Tina fighting for their reunion and love,not that much of his best friend's regrets. For that to happen i would put Soran's soul into Thoma and Seth's soul into Chitto.

That said but i pretty much enjoyed every second

Sent with Mal Updater
( Currently interested in OP MC genre. Recommendations are welcomed, preferable those yet not on my list )
Jan 6, 2012 2:26 PM
Jan 2011
if there was one thing i really liked about this show was that it was cohesive, and knew exactly how to take a lot of seemingly unrelated ideas and turn them into a well paced, exciting, and suspenseful piece of work. there was always some new revelation around every corner, and every character had a reason. i also liked how each character was their own person, and did not just represent cardboard cutouts. there was also an explanation behind the hair colors. the show was just very well paced and well put together, so a 9/10 for me. i just wished there would have been more emphesis on the children at the end. SPOILERS: if there was one moral that i could take away from this anime, it would probably be "never leave your friends behind". this is not just in the sense of someone like thoma looking out for those he cares about, but also, the entire story unfolded the way it did because agi chose to leave paruza behind. were it not for that, though, there would be no story at all. his actions caused paruza to become conrad, discover x-rays, mel to reset early in order to find him, causing her to lose her memories earlier and get cought by dumas, dumas to manipulate her as gherta, and spearhead GED's zone research, setting a spiral of events that defined the whole story. while that might have been a good lesson to learn, if it werent for that one move, we wouldnt have this show. what do u think?
Mar 13, 2012 1:18 PM

Jul 2007
So everyone lives happily ever after. They all chose to stay on earth and remain in their current existence and loose their memories so they can start over living a new life.

This ending was ok, accept the last part with Dumas and his fathers confrontation. Also i am assuming that DUMAS killed his father, but it was not resolved at the end, it was kind of a very quick encounter. It seemed as though these two episodes were kind of rushed to finish the story.

I loved the future thoma and helga, now is it actually possible for thoma to actually have not lost his memories? Because thats what i gathered when he looked at helga and knew everything bout her. It wasn't quite explained but i think that is what the writer was trying to show us is that some how Thoma(seth) did not loose his memories.

In any case, nerveless, my over all impression of this show was pretty good. The series starts off slowly revealing peaces of information that keep the viewer hooked and thinking. By far the first half is very confusing and it requires lots of concentration to really anylize what is going on. But i was surprised to know that the 2nd half of the show explained it so well and their is pretty much no plot holes that were unresolved so im thankful for that.

Every character had a pretty large role in the show with the acception of "chitto" which was mostly just a side kick.

This show is structured in a way that it may turn off some viewers because the fact is that its intimidating that the first half of the series virtually explains nothing and your left in the dark for a long time. How ever i my self found this very intriguing and interesting, i always wanted to know the many mysteries that were revealed throughout the series. Then when the revelation finally strike you, its like you understand everything. So the writer did a fantastic job of directing it in that fashion.

For those of you who have actually bought the dvds, their actually is a special alternate ending that is pretty interesting and over all i would say should of been the true ending to the series, gives better closure but i guess it was cut. To bad.

The Alternate ending basically entailed all of the children returning to their former lives on earth. Soreto reunites with her father, that referred to her as Flo. Tarlant who btw is named Kaily now returns to his father and names his dog Wonder after the machine he built. Hasmodai who is referred to as "teo" reunites with his big sister and Agi finally reunites with his little sister "bel" Gercha (mel) grows up has kids and names one of them Bel.

and lastly they created a burial ground for Hesma, so sad :(

Regardless of some what rushed ending, this was definitively a very solid series, so im giving it 9/10.
ArtimesGamerMar 13, 2012 1:55 PM

Mar 13, 2012 2:03 PM

Jul 2007
callmetheBigD said:
if there was one thing i really liked about this show was that it was cohesive, and knew exactly how to take a lot of seemingly unrelated ideas and turn them into a well paced, exciting, and suspenseful piece of work. there was always some new revelation around every corner, and every character had a reason. i also liked how each character was their own person, and did not just represent cardboard cutouts. there was also an explanation behind the hair colors. the show was just very well paced and well put together, so a 9/10 for me. i just wished there would have been more emphesis on the children at the end. SPOILERS: if there was one moral that i could take away from this anime, it would probably be "never leave your friends behind". this is not just in the sense of someone like thoma looking out for those he cares about, but also, the entire story unfolded the way it did because agi chose to leave paruza behind. were it not for that, though, there would be no story at all. his actions caused paruza to become conrad, discover x-rays, mel to reset early in order to find him, causing her to lose her memories earlier and get cought by dumas, dumas to manipulate her as gherta, and spearhead GED's zone research, setting a spiral of events that defined the whole story. while that might have been a good lesson to learn, if it werent for that one move, we wouldnt have this show. what do u think?

That is a very good explanation on that, you are correct, if it wasn't for palza leaving ahgi, they would of never found the stone, they would of never constructed the transference device, or discover the X rays. Also the fact that MEl was caught by dumas and that event alone, is what rushed the process along with the GED project. Very perceptive of you to figure that out. This series really is a hidden gem.The the plot incorporates such a nice complex scenerio like that and make all the mysteries in the series revolve around those events, is really talented writing.

Although you watch the alternate ending, it gives better closure to the children of befort.
ArtimesGamerMar 13, 2012 10:50 PM

Apr 11, 2012 9:14 PM

Jun 2010
Wow... this was so much better than I expected. I loved this! It was really good, despite leaving a bit of things unexplored, and having a few semi-bad moments plot wise. The characters were also nice and memorable.

The ending made me cry in an odd way, probably because although everyone was so happy, you knew that they forgot about everything prior, but you also knew one day they would definitely meet. I wish they showed Thoma ten years after though, I really wanna know, he was my favorite character
Apr 21, 2012 10:25 AM

Jun 2008
Rest assured people .. The ending dude was Thoma << still insist they ended up together lmao sorry a bit obsessed <3

It could be that both souls went to his body << yeah right
Or as someone here said that he simply didnt forget

And
1 - we never saw Thoma's arm in the anime he always wore long
2 - Soran looked EXACTLY like Thoma when he was young , and the guy Helga met in the end is Exactly like Soran + the fact that its the same skin and eyes and hair color as Thoma I mean come on isnt there any other face characteristics other than those in the anime ? Nope
3 - Thoma never appeared as a grown up , he is as important as Helga if not more so he would have appeared for sure , so judging from all aspects , it is Thoma.

And even if its not we would all love it to be like that << dont decide on their behalf ...
BishoooDuckJul 21, 2012 5:23 PM
Jun 4, 2012 1:32 PM

May 2008
My theory of Dumas being Soran failed hard but I don't mind at all~ The ending was sweet and it's indeed a shame Thoma and Chitto were neglected like that.
Anyway, one of the memorable shows I've watched so far and it's good to know that there are hidden gems like this every now and then.
Jun 9, 2012 9:05 AM
Apr 2012
Sun_Princess said:
Rest assured people .. The ending dude was Thoma << still insist they ended up together lmao sorry a bit obsessed <3

And
2 - Soran looked EXACTLY like Thoma when he was young , and the guy Helga met in the end is Exactly like Soran + the fact that its the same skin and eyes and hair color as Thoma I mean come on isnt there any other face characteristics other than those in the anime ? Nope its Thoma

And even if its not we would all love it to be like that << dont decide on their behalf ...

agree with this theory, that dude in the end is possibly Thoma
in my opinion, Soran and Seth souls went into Thoma
Aug 21, 2012 8:12 PM

Jan 2012
great show but there's 2 things that bother me..

1. Why did Tina's dad make her into a weapon? Derp, if you make my daughter cry again, she's gonna nuke the whole planet, herp. Strong king logic.

2. EP 17: where all the guys decided to talk about Tina's secret in an open room and have 2 different people eavesdrop them back to back. Strong writer's block?

8.4/10 for me
Sep 26, 2012 9:39 AM

Jun 2009
I felt the series on a whole was fairly unremarkable. The mystery of the children took far to long to uncover. When it was revealed the answer was ridiculous and changed the genre of the show.

But I will say this. I really felt sorry for Sess. I mean the guy was there caring for her for her entire life. He wanted nothing but her happiness. Didn't even get mad when she chose another guy over him. But when she's in a weapon state and he tries to get her out of it she blows his frigging arm off. And who snaps her out of it? The guy who gave her a piggyback when she was young. The man who constantly failed to protect her. Honestly that just pissed me off. It was like she just gave Sess the biggest "fuck you" in history.
You don't deserve happiness Tina.

"I always take life with a grain of salt, ...plus a slice of lemon, ...and a shot of tequila."

Oct 1, 2012 7:32 AM

Oct 2010
Streetboyz said:
Sun_Princess said:

And
2 - Soran looked EXACTLY like Thoma when he was young , and the guy Helga met in the end is Exactly like Soran + the fact that its the same skin and eyes and hair color as Thoma I mean come on isnt there any other face characteristics other than those in the anime ? Nope its Thoma

That is not thoma...
That dude's arm has that "Tina" birthmark, but Thoma haven't reveal that he has the birthmark even when he is told about the story of Tina.If Thoma have that birthmark,he will surely tell them about that birthmark.Besides,you can only transfer using that transporting device,,,,,,,,
Signature Removed
Oct 22, 2012 6:06 PM

Jun 2008
groundfish said:
Streetboyz said:
Sun_Princess said:

And

That is not thoma...
That dude's arm has that "Tina" birthmark, but Thoma haven't reveal that he has the birthmark even when he is told about the story of Tina.If Thoma have that birthmark,he will surely tell them about that birthmark.Besides,you can only transfer using that transporting device,,,,,,,,

Ok i was talking about a POSSIBLE option of what I and 75% of the fans wish for , and u never know maybe he possibly didnt forget and drew that mark and went to her ? Or producers left that as an open end for fans to think what they want ( it wouldnt have caused a fortune to show old Thoma ) so what i said IS a bit based on what i want but its still not impossible , its a matter of prespective more than an abstract obvious end imo
Feb 25, 2013 1:50 AM
Apr 2012
Sun_Princess said:
groundfish said:
Streetboyz said:
Sun_Princess said:

And

That is not thoma...

Ok i was talking about a POSSIBLE option of what I and 75% of the fans wish for , and u never know maybe he possibly didnt forget and drew that mark and went to her ? Or producers left that as an open end for fans to think what they want ( it wouldnt have caused a fortune to show old Thoma ) so what i said IS a bit based on what i want but its still not impossible , its a matter of prespective more than an abstract obvious end imo

it's still possible, tohma physical body look like Soran when he was a kid, so there might be a possibilities . beside we never saw what Tohma looks like when he was grown up. Tohma never saw what happen when soran write that mark. only tina know what really happen when soran write that. there is still possibilities of it. cmiiw
Aug 14, 2013 9:17 PM

Apr 2009
Sad ending for me, I was rooting for Thoma. Overall a very good show. I would have liked for Cooks to do something bigger in the climax, it was like he did nothing useful the whole series.
Aug 15, 2013 7:47 AM
Aug 2013
I get why most of you think that Thoma probably should have been the one to end up with Helga. But I guess I'm one of the few who strongly advocates Soran instead. Sure the guy was like taking care of her and all, but to me, he filled the shoes of an older brother, someone who watched over her, protected her no matter what. But, you don't choose who you fall in love with! I mean, the reason this anime is so powerful is because it's realistic. If her connection with Soran was stronger, that's how things were meant to be for Sess. Otherwise, everything would have been too perfect for this anime to have an effect. Also, what makes it more 'imperfect' and goody two shoes is the fact that Sess' jealousy finally kicks in when he shoots Soran, and doesn't consider how Tina feels about him. So in the end, his obstruction of their love was what left him alone.
Jan 13, 2014 4:11 PM

Nov 2011
Geez a lot of cries this episode. Helga ;.;

A happy ending I guess and Thoma made it. 6/10 though. I didn't like the style of the series for some reason or the character designs. Too much focus on some characters and some weird plot twists. Action was also blend on most parts but the story itself kept it going.
Jan 30, 2014 5:33 AM

Apr 2009
It would make shit sense for Thoma to be both Soran and Sesu, it completely butchers both their stories (Sesu redemption in the end) and doesn't make sense story wise (Why didn't Helga connect immediately with Thoma in the beginning, also supposedly Soran reincarnations kept looking for Tina/Helga for all his life(s)). It would make the last 6 episodes stupid as fuck, especially the last one where Thoma/Sesu plans to end his life forever.

animefangirl4196 said:
I get why most of you think that Thoma probably should have been the one to end up with Helga. But I guess I'm one of the few who strongly advocates Soran instead. Sure the guy was like taking care of her and all, but to me, he filled the shoes of an older brother, someone who watched over her, protected her no matter what. But, you don't choose who you fall in love with! I mean, the reason this anime is so powerful is because it's realistic. If her connection with Soran was stronger, that's how things were meant to be for Sess. Otherwise, everything would have been too perfect for this anime to have an effect. Also, what makes it more 'imperfect' and goody two shoes is the fact that Sess' jealousy finally kicks in when he shoots Soran, and doesn't consider how Tina feels about him. So in the end, his obstruction of their love was what left him alone.

Agree. Jeez, shippers. Not every anime is about the main heroine ending up with the main hero. In a sense the writer played smart by having Young-Soran looking like Thoma, because it ended up subverting people expectation.

It isn't a tale of love for Sesu/Thoma, it's a tale of redemption.
Jin_uzukiJan 30, 2014 5:40 AM

Jul 23, 2014 7:49 PM

May 2012
Amazing ending! I really like how they managed to close this story off so well, it had a very interesting overall concept and development and I must say I liked it, however the pacing was rather on the weak side which for me made it from time to time boring marathoning this but in all I really enjoyed it! 7/10
Nov 25, 2014 12:57 AM

Nov 2012
Well, this one was a hell of a rid.., certainly didn't disappoint me as i had high expectations since the first episode!

the whole "children of befort" plot line was making me on the edge of my seat at times, really well thought-out and intense. the last couple of episodes were the best and proved the strong writing skills of tying the pieces together that the show had. this may be an "unpopular opinion" but i didn't like the ending .. i just would've like it more if Tina and Seth died instead of getting back.

Fantastic Children, a prove of how a simple story can be delivered as a complicated one through a great storytelling.
9/10.
Drastic-MeasureNov 25, 2014 1:02 AM
Mar 25, 2015 12:49 AM

Jul 2008
I give this an 8/10, seems that no one can go home again. It worked out for Helga, Thoma not so much...and the scientists for that matter.
Sep 7, 2015 11:50 PM

May 2013
...Oh God, I just realized that Tina's mother also betrayed her husband to marry his younger brother.

I think it runs in the blood.
Sep 8, 2015 2:19 AM

Jul 2010
I had heard that the second half of the series was better, but I actually preferred the first half. I liked the mystery of the Befort Children, and learning about them alongside Cooks. (I was never interested in Thoma/Helga.) But after everything was revealed to the audience, Cooks still didn't know what was going on.

The seven Befort Children were, for me, the best characters. They didn't get a great amount of development, but from the flashbacks of their past lives on Earth and Greecia we can see how they got to be where they are in the present. Hiisuma had no flashbacks of past Earth lives because he had no ties to Earth, his focus was always Greecia. Dumas was fine, but what was up with Georca? Such a flat character.

The score and colour scheme were very fitting but, for me, the mystery was more interesting than the resolution, and there were characters who could have been used more effectively. Special mention goes to the enma shadows. It's a 6.5 but I'm feeling generous so I'm rounding it up to 7/10.

Ugoki said:
...Oh God, I just realized that Tina's mother also betrayed her husband to marry his younger brother.

This made me laugh more than it should have.
Sep 8, 2015 8:47 AM

May 2013
seiobo said:
I had heard that the second half of the series was better, but I actually preferred the first half. I liked the mystery of the Befort Children, and learning about them alongside Cooks. (I was never interested in Thoma/Helga.) But after everything was revealed to the audience, Cooks still didn't know what was going on.

The seven Befort Children were, for me, the best characters. They didn't get a great amount of development, but from the flashbacks of their past lives on Earth and Greecia we can see how they got to be where they are in the present. Hiisuma had no flashbacks of past Earth lives because he had no ties to Earth, his focus was always Greecia. Dumas was fine, but what was up with Georca? Such a flat character.

The score and colour scheme were very fitting but, for me, the mystery was more interesting than the resolution, and there were characters who could have been used more effectively. Special mention goes to the enma shadows. It's a 6.5 but I'm feeling generous so I'm rounding it up to 7/10.

Ugoki said:

This made me laugh more than it should have.

I somewhat agree. I think I have more "this is the shit!" moment before everything is revealed, that is until the end of the Grecia arc.

Let's see, from the top of my head:
1. The opening with Conrad. Drew me right in
2. Cooks going to Agi's house. We got to see just how painful his departure had been for his little sister. That was really powerful and I loved it.
3. Flow running and crying from her father. Goddamn, that was also powerful
4. Helga being able to see the "ghost" from Ep 3. After finishing this, I realized it didn't just foreshadow her specialness but it also foreshadowed how much she missed her mother.
5. Helga not being bitten by killer bees. I thought it was another one of her hidden superpowers, making me even more hyped.
6. The runaway pilot guy with his sister. What poor souls...
7. Helga and her old selves. Already guessed Thoma is the male this time around and he'll get into a tragedy too and probably dying from that.
8. And all that is peaked by the whole Soren/Sesu/Tina love triangle.

First, Helga transformed into little Tina after being Christina. I thought it was another one of her Earth incarnation but then her white hair appeared. Then she called out for Sesu, making me think "Oh, this is the original?" and "Wait, so then how did he get to Earth?". But then, Soren appeared, making me think "Wait, who is this guy? So then was it Sesu or Soren who was the original one?"

Then the arc started. All the time I was waiting in anticipation on the tragedy that would happen. I could only smile wryly at Palza and Mel's upcoming wedding that would never happen.

Then, when the shit happened, oh God that face, that reaction when Sesu got abandoned alone after being shot by lightning by his love and losing his arm; his reaction on Soren's voice reaching Tina even though he couldn't. Jesus Christ, that was the most powerful moment of the entire series. You realized that even though he supported Soren marrying Tina, deep down he still couldn't abandon his love for her. And then there was the fucking flashbacks. Jesus Christ, writers, you are not pulling any punches here. Add the whole stress from the disaster and the fact that Soren left him without a second thought after rescuing Tina made him fall into despair. I couldn't blame him at all for snapping. And it was pretty obvious he was the one who killed Soren in the end, even though the Children said it was the army.

9. Thoma's reaction of Sesu's memory reawakening in him
The scream, the tears, the look, the way he apologized over and over again. And Sesu's own reaction after shooting Soren.

And then the show had the balls to end it with the reincarnated Soren meeting Helga. And not fucking showing what happened to Thoma. Any weak-willed show would show him getting a GF, showing he got over Tina. But nope, he only got Marco's fucking monkey in the end. Not even the best pet in the WMT series.

The show stayed consistent with Sesu's fate until the end. Forever NTRed and friendzoned.

This ending really reminded me of Dog of Flanders' ending. Painful and heartrending, but memorable and really powerful.

I just hope this would be the last reincarnation cycle when this shit happened.

All of that settled Sesu as my favorite character of this show. Goddamn, what hard lives he had.

Oh, and Helga stole Thoma's position as the MC too.

Edit: By the way, in the game version (yes, this anime has a game adaptation), they went for a feel good ending in which Tina and Soren (Thoma carries Soren here) separates from Helga and Thoma respectively. And then in the ending scene, Thoma proposes to Helga.
UgokiSep 8, 2015 9:24 AM
Sep 8, 2015 9:18 AM

Jul 2010
Ugoki said:
Then, when the shit happened, oh God that face, that reaction when Sesu got abandoned alone after being shot by lightning by his love and losing his arm; his reaction on Soren's voice reaching Tina even though he couldn't. Jesus Christ, that was the most powerful moment of the entire series. You realized that even though he supported Soren marrying Tina, deep down he still couldn't abandon his love for her. And then there was the fucking flashbacks. Jesus Christ, writers, you are not pulling any punches here. Add the whole stress from the disaster and the fact that Soren left him without a second thought after rescuing Tina made him fall into despair. I couldn't blame him at all for snapping. And it was pretty obvious he was the one who killed Soren in the end, even though the Children said it was the army.

I agree, that moment was definitely powerful. I thought it was interesting that when Sesu met with Tina again in the Zone he didn't actually tell her why he killed Soran, but she knew it was because she had been cruel to him. Does that mean that she knew about his feelings all along?

Ugoki said:
I just hope this would be the last reincarnation cycle when this shit happened.

Dog of Flanders is great. I have so many questions about the whole reincarnation cycle. How did Soran and Sesu even get reincarnated? Did they somehow tag along with Tina? And did they get reincarnated over and over or just once? What caused the Befort Children to regain their memories each time, and why did they lose their memories when they reached age 11? Gherta remembered that she was Mel as an adult, but apparently she'll forget again. And considering they'd lost their memories, why was Gherta still drawn to Conrad, and Helga to Soran? I think it was explained that they have the same spirits, but Tina said that she was Helga, Agi went back to being Ian, Soreto went back to being Flow so... did the multiple spirits merge?

Ugoki said:
Oh, and Helga stole Thoma's position as the MC too.

Helga definitely hijacked the finale. Considering she was pretty much a silent character during the first half. Agi was a pretty major character too, but he was largely absent from the finale. Have you seen the extended ending?
Sep 8, 2015 4:45 PM

May 2013
seiobo said:

Dog of Flanders is great. I have so many questions about the whole reincarnation cycle. How did Soran and Sesu even get reincarnated?

Sesu? He died right when the transfer machine activated and he died really close nearby. So, his soul accidentally got sent to Earth's Zone too, along with Tina's.

Soran? I have no idea. Perhaps his love for Tina was so strong his soul managed to get to Earth's Zone from Greecia's Zone, as cheesy as that sounds.

seiobo said:

And did they get reincarnated over and over or just once?

Sesu, yes. Aanon and Jim, remember?

Soran? I have no idea. Depends on when his soul reached Earth's Zone.

seiobo said:

What caused the Befort Children to regain their memories each time

Autozone. They don't reincarnate naturally.

seiobo said:

, and why did they lose their memories when they reached age 11?

No particular reason other than just natural decay, I suppose. You can take it as the new life slowly overwriting the old life too.

Oh, and it was age 12 by the way.

seiobo said:

Gherta remembered that she was Mel as an adult

She was naturally reincarnated like Tina, so the old memories were repressed at first.

seiobo said:

, but apparently she'll forget again

Again, natural decay.

seiobo said:

. And considering they'd lost their memories, why was Gherta still drawn to Conrad, and Helga to Soran?

Subconsciously.

seiobo said:

I think it was explained that they have the same spirits, but Tina said that she was Helga, Agi went back to being Ian, Soreto went back to being Flow so... did the multiple spirits merge?

There is no "multiple spirits". It's the same spirit throughout the ages.

But that spirit experiences multiple lives, lives that had nothing to do with the old, original life.

If there were multiple spirits, then they could just return Tina's spirit to her body and Dimas would get his happy ending.

seiobo said:

Helga definitely hijacked the finale. Considering she was pretty much a silent character during the first half. Agi was a pretty major character too, but he was largely absent from the finale. Have you seen the extended ending?

Already saw it. Loved it. That should've been in. Alas, they were limited to two cours so they couldn't get an extra episode airtime.

And the director himself said "Helga is the protagonist".
Sep 9, 2015 1:42 AM

Jul 2010
Haha, you didn't have to answer all those questions but thanks!
Sep 9, 2015 4:39 AM

May 2013
seiobo said:
Haha, you didn't have to answer all those questions but thanks!

I'm just glad I found someone to talk about this great show with!
Sep 9, 2015 5:02 AM

Jul 2010
Ugoki said:

Me too, I was glad when you starting posting because the forum was really quiet. In hindsight my questions sound stupid, I think I'll have to re-watch the show. I think re-watching will be an interesting experience now that I know how the mysteries are solved. I wonder if my impressions will change.

The soundtrack is still stuck in my head.
Sep 9, 2015 6:41 AM

May 2013
seiobo said:
Ugoki said:

Me too, I was glad when you starting posting because the forum was really quiet. In hindsight my questions sound stupid, I think I'll have to re-watch the show. I think re-watching will be an interesting experience now that I know how the mysteries are solved. I wonder if my impressions will change.

The soundtrack is still stuck in my head.

Speaking of rewatching, fuck I actually missed the misdirection the director put in the Tina capsule scene. I thought it was Soren whom we got to see getting shot, but it was Sesu. That was why I had guessed that Sesu shot Soren all along.

How the hell did I manage to do that? I think my brain actually replaced the information it got from the real world with my own imagination, since when the scene started I had already expected Sesu to come and kill Soren.
Sep 9, 2015 2:01 PM

Jul 2010
Ugoki said:
Speaking of rewatching, fuck I actually missed the misdirection the director put in the Tina capsule scene. I thought it was Soren whom we got to see getting shot, but it was Sesu. That was why I had guessed that Sesu shot Soren all along.

How the hell did I manage to do that? I think my brain actually replaced the information it got from the real world with my own imagination, since when the scene started I had already expected Sesu to come and kill Soren.

I'm trying to work this out, because I thought the same. We see a pissed off Sesu. We see soldiers. Soran turns from Tina, is apparently hit once, blood splatters from his direction. Sesu appears from the same direction... not a huge leap to assume Sesu killed him. Then he's hit multiple times... not a huge leap to assume the soldiers we saw earlier killed him. So I don't think it's impossible that you already guessed? Who knows.
Sep 9, 2015 5:08 PM

May 2013
seiobo said:
Ugoki said:

I'm trying to work this out, because I thought the same. We see a pissed off Sesu. We see soldiers. Soran turns from Tina, is apparently hit once, blood splatters from his direction. Sesu appears from the same direction... not a huge leap to assume Sesu killed him. Then he's hit multiple times... not a huge leap to assume the soldiers we saw earlier killed him. So I don't think it's impossible that you already guessed? Who knows.

Hmm, perhaps that's how I viewed it back then? Haha, I'm not too sure myself.
Oct 29, 2015 12:32 AM
Nov 2009
I think Soran was reincarnated in another body. To me there was not a question that Thoma and Helga weren't meant for each other. There was definitely an older brother feeling. The fact that he took on the same role even in his reincarnation to me proved it. He went home with her and I believe in the end he would realize as they grew he didn't love her like that. I think that many family members would feel the same or close friends would feel betrayed about not being answered but than another person shows up and they suddenly are all better.
Dec 16, 2015 2:08 AM
Jan 2013
hate this ending man not too bad story but thoma got friendzoned even after reincarnation RIP .......
Dec 27, 2015 2:36 AM

May 2013
darkflamehaze said:
hate this ending man not too bad story but thoma got friendzoned even after reincarnation RIP .......

Hahaha, like someone on 2ch put it, "NTRed through time and space, the ultimate NTR story." or something like that.

evelynie said:
I think Soran was reincarnated in another body. To me there was not a question that Thoma and Helga weren't meant for each other. There was definitely an older brother feeling. The fact that he took on the same role even in his reincarnation to me proved it. He went home with her and I believe in the end he would realize as they grew he didn't love her like that. I think that many family members would feel the same or close friends would feel betrayed about not being answered but than another person shows up and they suddenly are all better.

Well, in the manga, Thoma actually got over it and got on with the female Belford's Children that I couldn't remember what her name was. This series was anime first though, so I don't really know if you could consider that canon or not. I don't even know if it was written by the same guy who wrote the story of the anime.
Feb 13, 2016 8:22 AM

Apr 2009
The "NTR" label always irritated me, people essentially said Tina should have married Sesu just because their parents decided it when she was 2.

Ironically, I doubt most people would have complained about "muh NTR" if Soren had been Thoma (Soren and Tina are the first characters we are introduced in the Girisha arc).

And everyone seems to ignore Sesu murdering his best friend condemning the woman he claimed to love to years of suffering while he essentially got away scoot-free until the ending (happy life on Earth with 2 parents and he's happily adjusted to it) Not that Tina/Helga doesn't care for Sesu, since she was willing to die and condemn herself to the oblivion for him.

Ugoki said:

We never knew the circumstances behind Tina's parents "divorce", right? I actually assumed she was cast away or something.

Feb 13, 2016 10:32 AM

May 2013
Jin_uzuki said:
The "NTR" label always irritated me, people essentially said Tina should have married Sesu just because their parents decided it when she was 2.

Ironically, I doubt most people would have complained about "muh NTR" if Soren had been Thoma (Soren and Tina are the first characters we are introduced in the Girisha arc).

And everyone seems to ignore Sesu murdering his best friend condemning the woman he claimed to love to years of suffering while he essentially got away scoot-free until the ending (happy life on Earth with 2 parents and he's happily adjusted to it) Not that Tina/Helga doesn't care for Sesu, since she was willing to die and condemn herself to the oblivion for him.

Ugoki said:

We never knew the circumstances behind Tina's parents "divorce", right? I actually assumed she was cast away or something.

Haha, don't worry, friend, the NTR thing is just a joke. It is so easy to make the joke after that scene happened.
Jul 13, 2016 1:19 PM

Dec 2011
Rewatched the entire thing years after I've first seen it and I've got to say, I still love this show to pieces... T_T

It's becoming rare to see a 2-cour or more non-episodic anime with a finale that can tie up so neatly all the scattered plot points that are introduced at the beginning of the show.
Aug 21, 2016 6:36 PM

Jan 2016
It feels good to see that I am not alone in thinking the guy at the end was Thoma. It doesn't make sense that he would not have shown them his arm once he regained his memories of Grecia or even looked at it himself. I knew he was related to the rest of the children in some way once we started seeing him having nightmares. Originally I though he was Soren and Chitto was Sesu reincarnated. It made more sense at the time. But now that I think about it, Thoma's reaction to Helga's total disregard for him in many cases makes sense. I kept waiting for some kind of tragic accident to happen to Chitto until it came out who Sesu was. My only question is, where was Soren all this time? Since we know Tina was able to be brought back after she died, it's not too much to think that Soren was pulled into Earth's Zone with Tina and Sesu...eventhough he died before Sesu...or maybe he was still clinging to life when Sesu pushed the button. But still where was he at?
Dec 9, 2016 1:46 PM

Nov 2015
Waffocopter said:

Thoma, one of the characters who I came to like gradually over the series gets friend-zoned and neglected by the writers in the end...such a shame.
Aug 15, 2017 10:40 AM

Sep 2013
Well the 'gasping in shock' faces characters showed at even the smallest twist was a bit annoying and Thoma.......was really an unbearable guy, watching him was pain.

The plot overall was quite good with too many lucky coincidences and some derpy dialogues, some irritating chatracters (mainly you...Thoma), 6/10
Feb 5, 2018 4:01 PM

Jun 2015
A pretty OK series overall, with quite a few commendable aspects to it.

Unfortunately it has a fair share of narrative deficiencies, particularly since the main plot kicked in and in the recurring flashbacks.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fantastic Children Episode 1 Discussion

Arashi89 - May 18, 2010

22 by dragynfaerie »»
Jan 15, 11:06 PM

Poll: » Fantastic Children Episode 25 Discussion

ArtimesGamer - Mar 13, 2012

5 by KitsuFrost »»
Dec 24, 2023 8:28 AM

» The best anime of all time - It's a bummer how few people know about it

MyllerPhiem - Apr 2, 2022

15 by MyllerPhiem »»
Dec 3, 2023 3:59 PM

Poll: » Fantastic Children Episode 2 Discussion

Arashi89 - May 18, 2010

12 by KitsuFrost »»
Nov 25, 2023 9:49 AM

Poll: » Fantastic Children Episode 24 Discussion

MagEarwhig - Aug 7, 2009

25 by Archean-Return »»
Sep 8, 2023 9:31 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.