Forum Settings
Forums
New
Manga or anime?
Aug 7, 2009 11:49 AM

Jun 2009
Ever since I became a otaku, I've wondered why people like watching the anime over reading the manga. Usually, you get more out of the manga and get to know exactly what the mangaka wants you to know. In the anime, there's a bunch of stuff the mangaka never intended for people to see or even thought of putting into the series. But I've always found the manga more interesting and because of it, I've been called colored blind and possibly deaf. >_< LOL But, seriously, what draws you more to the anime than the manga?
Aug 7, 2009 12:15 PM

May 2009
I like both anime and manga...

What I like about anime is the music, sound, voice acting, animation etc..
Aug 7, 2009 12:17 PM

Apr 2007
I'm lazy so I think watching > reading.

But.. in reality.. I totally love reading. I just prefer to have the book actually there and me sitting somewhere besides my computer chair. More comfortable, imo.

Aug 7, 2009 12:20 PM

Aug 2008
Kaira-Chan said:
Ever since I became a otaku, I've wondered why people like watching the anime over reading the manga.

Lazyness

Kaira-Chan said:
Usually, you get more out of the manga and get to know exactly what the mangaka wants you to know.

Then spoil it. I really don't care.

Kaira-Chan said:
In the anime, there's a bunch of stuff the mangaka never intended for people to see or even thought of putting into the series.

So? Sometimes it turns out better. Other times worse. It all depends on the production studio.

Kaira-Chan said:
But, seriously, what draws you more to the anime than the manga?

They're moving! Whoaaaa. XD

===

NOTE: Sorry to rip on your post like that. But, it's a bit of a truth. Maybe.
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Aug 7, 2009 12:21 PM

Jun 2009
lol I love the replies.
Aug 7, 2009 12:22 PM

Apr 2008
Manga is too hard to follow. I only like action stories, and most mangaka cannot draw action it seems. You have to be very good at directing the viewer's attention and clarifiying actions that are occuring with a picture to be able to draw an action scene and most are incapable of doing that. Some have art styles that are also blurry or overly shaded, which also cause more confusion in action scenes.

The fact that they are in black and white and not moving compound these factors even more. If manga was 100% in color all the time, I might consider reading it over the anime, because at least everything can easily be discerned in a picture quickly instead of having to stare at it for 15 whole minutes to try and figure out what I'm looking at.

moving and color > Black and white, stationary, and poorly drawn.
Aug 7, 2009 12:23 PM
Jul 2018
For me, it's easily anime. I was never a fan of American comic books, so likewise the format of manga wouldn't appeal to me either. I was; however, a film fan and anime fits that moving picture requirements while telling stories than I hadn't seen in western animated shows.
Aug 7, 2009 12:24 PM

Jun 2009
Scynt_Skunk said:
Manga is too hard to follow. I only like action stories, and most mangaka cannot draw action it seems. You have to be very good at directing the viewer's attention and clarifiying actions that are occuring with a picture to be able to draw an action scene and most are incapable of doing that, so have art styles that are also blurry or overly shaded, which also cause more confusion in action scenes.

The fact that they are in black and white and not moving compound these factors even more. If manga was 100% in color all the time, I might consider reading it over the anime, because at least everything can easily be discerned in a picture quickly instead of having to stare at it for 15 whole minutes to try and figure out what I'm looking at.

That's true, I find it hard to concentrate on ill drawn manga. But I find it rather easy to follow along with the magakas artwork
Aug 7, 2009 12:28 PM

Aug 2007
I barely have time to watch anime, and between anime and manga, I'd rather use some free time to watch anime. But sometimes I read manga, it really just depends on the amount amount of free time I get.
Aug 7, 2009 12:42 PM

Aug 2008
Kaira-Chan said:
lol I love the replies.

Quiet you, and start talking. XD

One more thing with manga -- I'd rather read it -- as a book -- in my hands -- flipping pages -- instead of -- looking at -- scanslations. I used to do that, but I got annoyed. However, I'm not willing to pay extra for manga -- that I may just read -- once.
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

Aug 7, 2009 12:46 PM

Apr 2008
Kaira-Chan said:
Scynt_Skunk said:
Manga is too hard to follow. I only like action stories, and most mangaka cannot draw action it seems. You have to be very good at directing the viewer's attention and clarifiying actions that are occuring with a picture to be able to draw an action scene and most are incapable of doing that, so have art styles that are also blurry or overly shaded, which also cause more confusion in action scenes.

That's true, I find it hard to concentrate on ill drawn manga. But I find it rather easy to follow along with the magakas artwork

I'll get some examples from manga I recently tried to read:

Abara

Rust Blaster

Majin Devil
Aug 7, 2009 1:22 PM

Jun 2009
Abara

Rust Blaster

Majin Devil

@_@ Wow, I'm lost. The fist one looks like something is eating something. The second one, well wouldn't the mangaka explain in the seires what type of power the character has? The third one.... Um.... He flicked his finger and the other dude tore into several pieces?
lol I guess your right, but I don't read much manga with fighting scenes.... Actually to tell the truth, I refer to the anime for an better idea of went down in the manga.
Aug 7, 2009 1:23 PM

Aug 2008
You can't hear music in manga:

Aug 7, 2009 1:38 PM

Jan 2009
i would like reading manga if i could go and get it and read from the book. but i don't have to time to go and get it and it's kinda expensive... so i will just watch the anime online. for free.
Aug 7, 2009 1:39 PM

Feb 2009
I prefer mangas to animes because most of the time (I say most of the time), there's less censorship and more freedom for the author to to develop any ideas he has while animes have more standards to respect.

Despite that I still watch more animes than I read mangas, don't know why. -_-
Aug 7, 2009 1:41 PM

Jun 2009
zefiris26 said:
i would like reading manga if i could go and get it and read from the book. but i don't have to time to go and get it and it's kinda expensive... so i will just watch the anime online. for free.

You can read manga online..... for free too. like on mangafox and onemanga.....
Aug 7, 2009 1:42 PM

Oct 2008
KyuuA4 said:

One more thing with manga -- I'd rather read it -- as a book -- in my hands -- flipping pages -- instead of -- looking at -- scanslations. I used to do that, but I got annoyed. However, I'm not willing to pay extra for manga -- that I may just read -- once.

That's pretty much it for me. xD
The only times I do read manga, is if I'm at Borders or something. Then just sit in there for a couple hours reading, then go home. They get sooo pissed at my Borders when I do that, but they can't do anything xD.
They even got rid of the comfy couches and crap, but I just sit on the floor.
Watching anime online is free.
Aug 7, 2009 1:59 PM

Jun 2009
I buy the manga and read it online, for free..... Do you guys not know you can read it for free?
Aug 7, 2009 2:05 PM

Aug 2008
Kaira-Chan said:
Do you guys not know you can read it for free?

Even for Free, I wouldn't. XD

Aug 7, 2009 2:12 PM
Jul 2009
My problems are the same as Scynt_Skunk. I love reading (books) but I fail hard at reading mangas. I don't like putting guesswork into my reading, and the quirkiest of characters in anime rely on something as small as a musical note at the end of their sentence to imply a variety of emotions (while in a manga.)

After reading soul eater the manga following my viewing of the anime series, I'm surprised the animators could have garnered so much from the pages! I would never have known half the shit the manga tries to convey and I gained respect for the anime directors because it seriously must take some skill that I don't have an ounce of.

Bleach and Naruto are the only other mangas that I've read, and that's only when I'm interested in following the plot beyond where the episodes are. I typically skip the action scenes.
Aug 7, 2009 2:13 PM

Jun 2009
really? 0-0 Why not? if its free then take advantage of it and if u can, still support the mangaka....
Aug 7, 2009 2:48 PM

Nov 2008
I think I prefer animes rather than mangas, specially for shonen/action animes, but I like mangas more when it comes to Yaoi xD
Aug 7, 2009 3:54 PM

Jun 2009
Alexstratz said:
I prefer mangas to animes because most of the time (I say most of the time), there's less censorship and more freedom for the author to to develop any ideas he has while animes have more standards to respect.

Since anime is printed, legally it cannot be censored.

As for my opinion, manga (and comics in general) are more cerebal then anime and can do things that anime can't. I posted this in a thread about Western comics and manga (this is specfically about Watchmen).

Pierre_Bezukhov said:
Major_G said:
YoungVagabond said:
Because it's too long and too cerebral. The comic owes a lot of its effect to all the small details and backstory that the reader learns more and more of while going through the work. Without those details, the world and characters of the Watchmen are necessarily much poorer.

Yet, there's no way to include all of that within a movie with a runtime of under 5 hours or so.

Bingo. Also, in America, much like what we've heard from posters in this thread, Western comics are mainly seen as only containing superheroes. Watchmen isn't really a [traditional] superhero story (unlike what the movie portrays, the only character with actual powers was Dr. Manhattan). Most companies weren't willing to put a lot of money into something they weren't sure would make money.

Oh! I forgot to mention that the story contains 2 generations' worth of storyline.

True. I haven't seen anything in manga that approaches the density that Watchmen and From Hell have reached. I wonder if it is possible to stay true to the nature of manga and still have a comic that is mostly cerebral and dense. The closest thing that I can think of is Akira (especially the ending) and Nausicaa. But they are told in a very different manner. In the two comics mentioned above, the readers are kept at a distance from the characters, both visually and emotionally. This is so the readers can focus on the larger picture of the story and themes.

Take GTO as a contrast. In that manga, there is an intense emotional connection make between the characters and the readers. The readers are drawn into the story as though they were partipents and actullay in class 3-4. By having the reader feel as though they were there, they can't take the position of an observer and ask questions on the theme (unless you are like Kanzaki and a genius). Instead, you care about the characters as a person (one of the strongest points in manga compared to Western comics) and whether or not it advances the theme or plot, you still care for the characters (or really hate them). The techniques that are used to do this are the usage of large panels that take up much of a page (or all of it), close-ups, subjective motion (blurring of the background during motion to take away a point of refrence and thus creating the illusion that you are going faster then you really are), and slanted panal borders, to name a few. A good example is below:

Another reason why it would be hard to animate Watchmen and other very dense comics would be the flow of the panels. Since the reader is removed from the action, they see time flow in a different manner. Instead of being there and feeling every moment (or what it seems like for that is an illusion created), they see only from moment to moment and not what happens inbetween (the illusion of a continuous and flowing time is broken). By adding a constant stream of time (as in film and animation), the reader/watcher would be much more immersed into the story.

It can be inferred from what I am saying is that Western comics (the works of Allen Moore in particular) stay true to the definition of a comic (sequential art where the reader is given images of moment in time to tell a story (or something like that (from Scott McCloud))) and manga is closer to animation, but that isn't entirely true. It is possible to stay true to the nature of manga (in regards to time) while still differencing your work from animation. Good examples are the later works of Osamu Tezuka (Adolf in particular) and TekkonKinkreet (as well as all works by Taiyo Matusmoto). Though it is possible to break the illusion of time while also remaining a manga (YKK and The Walking Man are the best example).

As you probably can tell, I am really interested in the theories of comics and the theoritcal differences between manga and Western comics. I am curious what your ideas on the subject are. I don't want to be the only one thinking about the subject.

To expand upon what I said, on the breaking of time. Animation presents time as a constant stream while comics shows it as broken moments. In those moments that are frozen in time, emotions and the atmosphere is emphasized. So often in the more alternative and experimental comics, it is impossible to animate it and keep the same feeling.

Scynt_Skunk said:
Kaira-Chan said:
Scynt_Skunk said:

Abara

Rust Blaster

Majin Devil

I will admit that anime/film in general presents action much better (unless the author is focusing on the mental state of the characters).

However, black and white is actually a plus because it often stripes down all of the superficial details and emphasizes the emotions more. Take Red Color Elegy or Screw-Style, if that was colored, the atmosphere would be lost.

As for the mangas that you showed, give some background because if you ask what is going on with nothing to back it up, then you will get nothing. I don't know what the names of the creatures are, so I won't comment on the first one, but I do find it beautifully drawn. I don't understand what you are saying about the second one, it is perfectly clear. Again for the last one, I believe no one is familar with the story to actually answer. From what it looks like, he fllicked a guy back into the ground with a lot of strength. It the third panel, the guy knocked down is gettin up.
Pierre_BezukhovAug 7, 2009 4:12 PM
"In the Beginning, the creative energy radiates from within."
-
No, no. That's Lame. Sounds like something out of a Jodorowsky comic.

The Tokusyu Manga Club - Features alternative comics/avant-garde comics/outsider comics/psychdelic comics/surrealistic comics/underground comics + La Nouvelle Manga (part of Alternative).

If I'm here, its because I have nothing better to do.
Aug 7, 2009 4:01 PM

Jun 2009
... i feel beaten. lol. I have no come back. I guess anime has the qualites needed to help people who find it hard to understand the manga able to get what the mangka is trying to say..... Though the anime is made to promote the manga.....
Aug 7, 2009 4:29 PM

Jun 2009
Kaira-Chan said:
Ever since I became a otaku, I've wondered why people like watching the anime over reading the manga. Usually, you get more out of the manga and get to know exactly what the mangaka wants you to know. In the anime, there's a bunch of stuff the mangaka never intended for people to see or even thought of putting into the series. But I've always found the manga more interesting and because of it, I've been called colored blind and possibly deaf. >_< LOL But, seriously, what draws you more to the anime than the manga?

If you are wondering why anime is more popular then manga, you are right and wrong. All you have to do is look at the history of comics in the US (assuming that you live in the US) because manga is also a comic. Here are some more posts about me spectulating about the popularity of manga.

Pierre_Bezukhov said:
adamantine said:
HikariAkai said:
Ironically, a lot of the series listed here are some of the most beloved series in Japan.
I've noticed that most people on this site watch waaaaaay more anime than they read manga. So that's probably why they seem so unpopular when compared to their animated counterparts.

Television is much more addicting because it moves and grabs your attention.

Tachii said:
I don't know about Japan, but most mangas are not popular at all, at least not according to MAL.

Pierre_Bezukhov said:
HikariAkai said:
classicalzawa said:
I think part of why some of the classic popular series in Japan aren't popular in America is simply because we don't like anything more than 5 years old at this point. Really, try and find someone with a cell phone older than 5 years old, it's not easy. Not to mention that people don't like to read as much anymore from what I see. I bet if we had started translating manga back in the 60's, things would be different today. I personally enjoy being literate (and because you are reading this, you obviously are too).

Has anyone else looked at Jason Thompson's Guide to Manga book? My library has it so I rent it from time to time, it's useful.

You're EXACTLY right, the American comics industry started so far behind the rest of the world, so most series that are pretty old dont do well here (which is a shame, since the 1970s is often referred to as the "Golden Age of Manga" Publishers have no interests in publishing anything besides the latest popular serial.
And, in fact, I OWN that book. My friend gave it to me for christmas.Incredibly useful, its where I got half of my "Plan to Read" list, which is ridiculously higher than my "Plan to Watch" list. Although it frustrates me a little, because a lot of the series I wanted to read in there are out of print now, and some are so rare, you cant even get them here in English, you have to go to JAPAN to get them in English

I'm mostly curious why the US manga industry is far behiend the rest of the world. Manga started getting translated here in the US in the mid-80's. If manga started to get translated back in the 1960's, the industry would flop because comics in-general had such a negative connotation, as would even a lot of stuff wouldn't pass the Comics Code Authority in order to be published in the mainstream society (manga from this time would obviously fail if it went underground with the exception of Gekiga). Also when manga started getting published in the US, it was about the time when the CCA was abandoned. There is also far more manga translated into French then English.

Also, I have looked through Jason Thompson's book (and have seen him in person where he gave everyone a free book of manga). I didn't pay that much attention to it since my "plan to read" list is already quite large. I don't want to expand upon it just yet. As stated above, I prefer the awards over him (as well as the The Comic's Journel).

HikariAkai said:
I'm mostly curious why the US manga industry is far behiend the rest of the world. Manga started getting translated here in the US in the mid-80's. If manga started to get translated back in the 1960's, the industry would flop because comics in-general had such a negative connotation, as would even a lot of stuff wouldn't pass the Comics Code Authority in order to be published in the mainstream society (manga from this time would obviously fail if it went underground with the exception of Gekiga). Also when manga started getting published in the US, it was about the time when the CCA was abandoned. There is also far more manga translated into French then English.

The very reason for how slowly manga came to the USA was the CCA. Comics used to be big business, but when people decided they were too violent, the publishers fixed this by publishing only "safe" comics, in otherwords, nothing but superheroes and newspaper strips. By the time the scare was over, comics had forever received a reputation as being a kid thing in America. Nobody wanted to read comics, except for kids and geeky guys. Plus, the publishers thought the black and white print and flipped printing would turn people off, so they didnt bother.

These posts are from the Manga you like but not popular thread. Yes, I do prefer manga over anime.
-

The Tokusyu Manga Club - Features alternative comics/avant-garde comics/outsider comics/psychdelic comics/surrealistic comics/underground comics + La Nouvelle Manga (part of Alternative).

Aug 7, 2009 4:36 PM

Apr 2008
Pierre_Bezukhov said:

Scynt_Skunk said:
Kaira-Chan said:
Scynt_Skunk said:

Abara

Rust Blaster

Majin Devil

I will admit that anime/film in general presents action much better (unless the author is focusing on the mental state of the characters).

However, black and white is actually a plus because it often stripes down all of the superficial details and emphasizes the emotions more. Take Red Color Elegy or Screw-Style, if that was colored, the atmosphere would be lost.

As for the mangas that you showed, give some background because if you ask what is going on with nothing to back it up, then you will get nothing. I don't know what the names of the creatures are, so I won't comment on the first one, but I do find it beautifully drawn. I don't understand what you are saying about the second one, it is perfectly clear. Again for the last one, I believe no one is familar with the story to actually answer. From what it looks like, he fllicked a guy back into the ground with a lot of strength. It the third panel, the guy knocked down is gettin up.

Here is a the picture of the two just before they get into the fight:
http://www.onemanga.com/Abara/1/29-30/

The pages of Abara may be beautifully drawn, but beauty doesn't mean much when you completely lack definition of shapes and edges, which is what the fight becomes in the panels I posted before.

How is the second one perfectly clear? Tell me what color the force that it hitting him is. What is it made out of? What texture does it have? Exactly what is the force doing to the character's flesh? Is it ripping his flesh? Burning it? Freezing it? Searing it? What is it doing?

Here is the page before the one I posted in Majin Devil:
http://www.onemanga.com/Majin_Devil/1/35/

As you can see, the character is facing him. If he flicked him with his finger, from the height of where his hand was, the character would be on his back, but the character is on his stomach/side in the first panel on the next picture. It doesn't add up.
Aug 7, 2009 5:56 PM

Jan 2009
I like anime more because you actually see things happening. There are also a lot anime that there is no manga or the manga came after, like Code Geass.

You also can't really read a Gundam series. Gundam is always better watching.

Also, what the person above me said and quoted.
Aug 7, 2009 6:10 PM

Feb 2008
anime has pretty colors.

PEOPLE IN ANIMU MOVE.

and you don't have to click every other second.
Aug 7, 2009 7:06 PM

Jun 2009
Scynt_Skunk said:
Pierre_Bezukhov said:

Scynt_Skunk said:
Kaira-Chan said:
Scynt_Skunk said:

Abara

Rust Blaster

Majin Devil

Here is a the picture of the two just before they get into the fight:
http://www.onemanga.com/Abara/1/29-30/

The pages of Abara may be beautifully drawn, but beauty doesn't mean much when you completely lack definition of shapes and edges, which is what the fight becomes in the panels I posted before.

How is the second one perfectly clear? Tell me what color the force that it hitting him is. What is it made out of? What texture does it have? Exactly what is the force doing to the character's flesh? Is it ripping his flesh? Burning it? Freezing it? Searing it? What is it doing?

Here is the page before the one I posted in Majin Devil:
[url=http://www.onemanga.com/Majin_Devil/1/35/]http://www.onemanga.com/Majin_Devil/1/35/

As you can see, the character is facing him. If he flicked him with his finger, from the height of where his hand was, the character would be on his back, but the character is on his stomach/side in the first panel on the next picture. It doesn't add up.

For the first one, in the large panel at the bottom, the large black creature in the upper-center-right is ripping one of the "guana"'s spine in half. As for everything else, it isn't part of this world and of the imagination. So therefore I couldn't say what the things were doing.

For the second one, what he is hitting him with is entirely within the context of the story. I haven't read it so I don't know what the guy's powers are. If he has no supernatural powers, then what he hits him with doesn't matter. I don't know if it Why does the color of the force matter. Hell, except smaller then an atom (theoritically), forces are invisible to the eye. Does the power Tetsuo from Akira have any color? What color is gravity? I have a question for you, have you read any colored comics? It's fiction so the author can make anything up since he has complete control.

Third one, again does it matter how he landed. Also maybe he was flicked on the shoulder? I flipped through the pages and the story was non-linear, so it was naturally confusing at first. Yes, some of the thick white spikes are there to show that the ground is breaking. The other lines are subjective motion that is part of manga (see my entry above).

These aren't the complete answer to what the pictures depict. I'm not going to spend all of my time reading those mangas up to that point. Before you judge all manga, read more of it because it you have to get familar with its language.

Don't use just a few to represent all of comics. Use this one as an example, it is clear, easy to read, and colored (read right to left):

It is "I Want You to Like Me" by Martain Cendra. Published in Kramers Ergot vol. 6.
-

Aug 7, 2009 7:07 PM

Apr 2009
Anime, manga is a pain in the arse to find, legally or otherwise.

*IF* I can find it, I like it just as much though. Anime has music, sounds and voices, but with manga you can read at your own pace without reaching for the pause button every few seconds.
No problem is insoluble in all conceivable circumstances.
Aug 7, 2009 8:06 PM

Apr 2008
Pierre_Bezukhov said:
Scynt_Skunk said:

For the first one, in the large panel at the bottom, the large black creature in the upper-center-right is ripping one of the "guana"'s spine in half. As for everything else, it isn't part of this world and of the imagination. So therefore I couldn't say what the things were doing.

For the second one, what he is hitting him with is entirely within the context of the story. I haven't read it so I don't know what the guy's powers are. If he has no supernatural powers, then what he hits him with doesn't matter. I don't know if it Why does the color of the force matter. Hell, except smaller then an atom (theoritically), forces are invisible to the eye. Does the power Tetsuo from Akira have any color? What color is gravity? I have a question for you, have you read any colored comics? It's fiction so the author can make anything up since he has complete control.

Third one, again does it matter how he landed. Also maybe he was flicked on the shoulder? I flipped through the pages and the story was non-linear, so it was naturally confusing at first. Yes, some of the thick white spikes are there to show that the ground is breaking. The other lines are subjective motion that is part of manga (see my entry above).

These aren't the complete answer to what the pictures depict. I'm not going to spend all of my time reading those mangas up to that point. Before you judge all manga, read more of it because it you have to get familar with its language.

Don't use just a few to represent all of comics. Use this one as an example, it is clear, easy to read, and colored (read right to left):

It is "I Want You to Like Me" by Martain Cendra. Published in Kramers Ergot vol. 6.

But that is what I'm saying. You SHOULD NEVER have to guess what happened in a fight. You're explainations of all three (barring the first panels of the first one you speak of) are guess or assumptions. If you can't, within 10 seconds of looking at a picture know exactly what is going on in the fight without ANY room for argument, guessing, or debate, then the mangaka did a horrible, horrible job OR it should never have been a manga and been an anime instead, where you can tell all these things without such guesswork.

It's a fight. It isn't a plot, or symbolism, or a metaphor. Certain things happened in one certain way, and they should be depicted to show all the certain things that happened exactly as they did.

As for what you said with the second manga, yes, all the weapons have a supernatural ability. One girl's produces a flame in the shape of a bird, another can produce ice (the only why I know what they are, as in flame and ice is because of how they called them out as "burn," and "freeze," or something to that extent. "kill them all is to vague to get any understanding of what that power is), and those are the only two I was ever able to figure out.

I'm going to assume you are not in the same mind-frame about manga/anime as I am, so I'll explain. I get enjoyment out of viewing the abilities of each character, discovering all of them and catorgorizing them all away in my brain. I need to know all there is to know about each and every characters' powers and I need to see every single fight that any of them are in in detail. You can keep all that plot and characterization crap, I just want the power and the fights.

As for that last comic you posted, you see, I HATE comedy, I HATE drama, I HATE romance, slice of life, yaoi, yuri, hentai, music, ecchi, historical, kids, etc.
I like action. I like nothing but action. So that doesn't apply to me. Because it is something I would NEVER read because people aren't beating the shit out of each other.
Aug 7, 2009 8:34 PM

Jul 2007
Kaira-Chan said:
I buy the manga and read it online, for free..... Do you guys not know you can read it for free?

Reading something from a screen is very different from reading it from a book, so people tend to get manga in book form when they can or just don't read manga.

Whereas watching anime from a computer screen vs. from a tv screen isn't that different.

OP: I definitely prefer manga, personally, and I know tons of people who feel the same way.

oh, these little earthquakes
Aug 8, 2009 4:59 AM

Mar 2009
Both are good, but in general, the manga if the anime has a lot of fillers.
Aug 8, 2009 8:15 AM

Mar 2009
I usually go with manga over anime, but only if the manga is the source material. In reverse cases, the manga is usually garbage (example: Princess Tutu). It's also not time or cost effective for me to get into both. Whichever way you try to adapt it to, it seems like something is always lost. I tend to prefer the format for manga better and can read it at a pace that is always right for me.

In the case of Mushi-shi, I've borrowed some of the manga off a friend and in that case, the art and music helps it so much, it's a must over the manga if you ask me (although the manga goes further), so I've got my exceptions. I don't prefer manga for mostly action series (unless it is only a manga with no anime counterpart, of course, then I'm alright). Depends on which format really feels better for the story, if the choice exists.

On rare occasion, I do go for both, but usually only when the anime and manga are both very different in good ways. Example, Planetes and Cromartie High School.

On both, I don't mind if either one has somewhat ugly art so long as it is clear what is going on. I don't like it when art tries to be so overdetailed that you can't see what's going on, but stick figures are just as annoying.
Aug 8, 2009 8:57 AM

Jun 2009
Scynt_Skunk said:

But that is what I'm saying. You SHOULD NEVER have to guess what happened in a fight. You're explainations of all three (barring the first panels of the first one you speak of) are guess or assumptions. If you can't, within 10 seconds of looking at a picture know exactly what is going on in the fight without ANY room for argument, guessing, or debate, then the mangaka did a horrible, horrible job OR it should never have been a manga and been an anime instead, where you can tell all these things without such guesswork.

It's a fight. It isn't a plot, or symbolism, or a metaphor. Certain things happened in one certain way, and they should be depicted to show all the certain things that happened exactly as they did.

As for what you said with the second manga, yes, all the weapons have a supernatural ability. One girl's produces a flame in the shape of a bird, another can produce ice (the only why I know what they are, as in flame and ice is because of how they called them out as "burn," and "freeze," or something to that extent. "kill them all is to vague to get any understanding of what that power is), and those are the only two I was ever able to figure out.

I'm going to assume you are not in the same mind-frame about manga/anime as I am, so I'll explain. I get enjoyment out of viewing the abilities of each character, discovering all of them and catorgorizing them all away in my brain. I need to know all there is to know about each and every characters' powers and I need to see every single fight that any of them are in in detail. You can keep all that plot and characterization crap, I just want the power and the fights.

As for that last comic you posted, you see, I HATE comedy, I HATE drama, I HATE romance, slice of life, yaoi, yuri, hentai, music, ecchi, historical, kids, etc.
I like action. I like nothing but action. So that doesn't apply to me. Because it is something I would NEVER read because people aren't beating the shit out of each other.

Since it seems we are speaking different languages, it is better for this discussion to stop since it is going nowhere. You are concentrating on the details while I am seeing things in context of the story. Also it seems that you don't have much experience reading manga. With the way you enjoy comics, it is best that you drop all comics (especially Western ones because they concentrate on the plot) with the exception of Akira. Here is the entire thing scanned. It is much better in print though. Ignore the unsorted version because Marvel (the translator and publisher) severely edited it and even wanted Otomo to redo the ending.

As for your taste, it is well, rather narrow.

Anomalous said:
Kaira-Chan said:

Reading something from a screen is very different from reading it from a book, so people tend to get manga in book form when they can or just don't read manga.

Whereas watching anime from a computer screen vs. from a tv screen isn't that different.

OP: I definitely prefer manga, personally, and I know tons of people who feel the same way.

Simply agree.
Pierre_BezukhovAug 8, 2009 9:00 AM
-

Aug 8, 2009 9:27 AM

Jul 2008
Both, because it really doesn't matter to me.
I enjoy reading and I enjoying watching stuff.

The only thing I have a problem with is when manga fans get so bent out of shape when the anime adaption doesn't follow religiously to the manga.
Seriously, tell me, what's the point in making it 100% like the manga?
Why's it so bad for it to be even a tiny bit different?
Aug 8, 2009 10:06 AM

Jun 2009
Mari-chan said:
The only thing I have a problem with is when manga fans get so bent out of shape when the anime adaption doesn't follow religiously to the manga.
Seriously, tell me, what's the point in making it 100% like the manga?
Why's it so bad for it to be even a tiny bit different?

This, I completely agree with (re: FMA:B). I'm more towards mangas, but good adaptations have to be flexible enough to work well on screen v. on pages.

I can understand a lot of the points about why people watch anime. Except for laziness - that I don't get. It takes me 3-5 minutes to get through a chapter, while each episode takes 20 minutes at least. I could defintely get through more material reading manga. Especially for marathoning, manga is definitely more desirable. Coupled with the better wrtiting, better drawings (most times), perfect pacing (your own), I like mangas better.

On the other hand, anime is easier to follow, has colours and moving pictures, and has a sountrack, so it defintely has some advantage.
Aug 8, 2009 12:24 PM

Aug 2009
I like anime more because you can actually see and hear what the characters say, feel and the other stuff like that. It's true that mangas are usually better and deeper what comes to the story, but I still prefer anime. x3
Aug 8, 2009 12:25 PM

Jun 2008
Um, has anyone mentioned that the question in the topic makes no sense?
Aug 8, 2009 12:34 PM

Sep 2008
preference is Anime over manga...but not by far, i still read on my free time, its just that anime has more freedom to show feelings and capture the imagination whereas, with manga you have to run with what the mangaka has drawn, so bringing in your imagination to the party...

...only reason why i read the manga of some anime is that they usually don't go through the whole story on anime in which you have to pick up from the anime to manga(eg. Berserk)

Also there are some anime that shhits you that you have no choice but resort to manga(rosario+vampire & Sekirei to name a few)
Aug 8, 2009 12:50 PM

Jul 2009
the reason i like watching anime over reading manga is because i like hearing the chatacters voices. when i read manga i try to imagine what their voice sounds like in my head, so for me its because i like hearing what the characters sound like

Aug 8, 2009 12:53 PM

Oct 2008
Hm... One of the really big reasons I watch anime rather than read manga is because of the language. I like to hear Japanese, and I use it to improve my (poor) skills, and mixing it with a brilliant story is never a bad idea!

Besides, I'd rather read it off real paper than on the screen.
行けー幼子兵器!あれは木端微塵に粉砕しろ!
Aug 8, 2009 1:29 PM

Jan 2009
I like anime more but manga isnt bad I read bleach every week and read chapters of gantz sometimes.

More topics from this board

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst

EastIndiaCompany - 2 hours ago

14 by BilboBaggins365 »»
3 minutes ago

» Credit cards companies are forcing the Hentai industry

Dije - 4 hours ago

21 by MichaelJackson »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - Yesterday

33 by W3TFT »»
11 minutes ago

» im kinda new to anime

thefoxkiller12 - Apr 29, 2022

18 by MichaelJackson »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - 2 hours ago

6 by FanofAction »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.