Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 6, 2009 2:44 AM

May 2009
Right now i'm in the 9th grade and I want to go to china to go to high school there and I got a few questions.

- Will they look at my past score records?
- Do I just need to pass the entrance exam thingy to get in?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Aug 6, 2009 2:50 AM

Jul 2008
Wait.... you WANT to go to China?
Aug 6, 2009 2:53 AM

Aug 2008
Defiance said:
Wait.... you WANT to go to China?

Seriously. Why!?

High school in China... hmm. Transferring to it. That's crazy. But yea... why?
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Aug 2008
Wait.... you WANT to go to High School?

Aug 2008
Esley said:

You silly children. Enjoy school while you can!!!
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

Aug 6, 2009 2:55 AM

Aug 2008
KyuuA4 said:
Esley said:

I'm done with HS, and I'm glad. No more of this bullshit.
Aug 6, 2009 3:02 AM

Aug 2008
Esley said:
KyuuA4 said:
Esley said:

Ah yes. That's right. High school DID suck.

Aug 6, 2009 3:05 AM

Aug 2008
I didn't even finish it =D
Aug 6, 2009 3:05 AM

Aug 2008
WHY CHINA?
Aug 6, 2009 3:23 AM

Jun 2009
I dropped out of elementary school. (actually my mom withdrew me once they started to force pills down my neck)

BUT YOU WANT TO GO TO CHINA? WHERE THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT ANYTHING BUT MONEY? WHERE YOU WORK 99 DAYS A WEEK? 300 HOURS A DAY? AND ARE SURE TO GET CRUSHED BY VERY POORLY MAINTAINED MACHINERY?
Aug 6, 2009 5:08 AM
Nov 2007
In regards to your two questions, I would think that it depends on which school you want to enroll in. I've never been to China myself let alone a school there, but I would assume that, yes they would look at your current and past school results. As for any examinations, again that would depend on the school and what they do with future students. I would think though there would be some kind of test, but again, it depends. For example the high school I went to - though in Australia not China - did not put future students through examinations to get in.

Putting the questions to one side, I don't know what you've previously studied and what your background is, let alone which country your reside in currently, but if you're not of an Eastern upbringing, you'll have to appreciate the significance of getting to know and understanding Eastern culture for what it is. China as you know is not democratic, and keep in mind of their history, particular in the past Century. It would do you good to read up on this. This is more towards regarding the Chinese Government however, as for the people, they can be very lovely to meet and get to know. :)
Besides that, there's also the language factor; Mandarin is the official language in Mainland China, do you have any history in Mandarin? If you don't know the language at all, this will impact your school learning and experience, as well as which school you could look to go to. Bear in mind that there are a a lot of dialects spoken throughout the country - Hakka, Wu (including Shanghainese), Taiwanese for example - and they are each different to one another. Where you can speak one dialect, doesn't mean you'll be able to understand another dialect.
I know this last bit doesn't do anything to answer your original question, but I think its quite relevant and worth thinking about.

All the best! :)
delete-dAug 6, 2009 5:21 AM
Aug 6, 2009 8:02 AM

Jun 2008
No clue. But I would think that it would be a "yes" to both questions. I would imagine the curriculum to be harder too.
Aug 6, 2009 8:16 AM

Feb 2007
KyuuA4 said:
Esley said:
KyuuA4 said:
Esley said:

Ah yes. That's right. High school DID suck.

Except when it didn't. Ah, yes, some good times...
Aug 6, 2009 10:52 AM

Mar 2009
Actually, I want to study for a quarter or two in China for my degree (computer science), so I would be sympathetic with wanting to go there for high school. If I were you, I would wait until you're in college, though. Studying abroad in college is much easier, IMO.
"When he will, the weary world
Of the senses closely curled
Like a serpent round his heart
Shakes herself and stands apart."
- A.C., Equinox I/I
Aug 6, 2009 12:33 PM

May 2009
China

WAT???
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 6, 2009 12:37 PM

Jun 2008
You remind me of my RL friend...it took 3 teachers, me, and 5 other classmates to tell him that he wouldn't want to go to high school there.

All of us said:
You have no internet, no family, you have to make shoes in a sweatshop, and you're NOT asian.

Given, my friend was black, but still...
Aug 6, 2009 12:58 PM

Mar 2009
BadLuckTuckxL said:
You remind me of my RL friend...it took 3 teachers, me, and 5 other classmates to tell him that he wouldn't want to go to high school there.

All of us said:
You have no internet, no family, you have to make shoes in a sweatshop, and you're NOT asian.

Given, my friend was black, but still...

That seems like a gross over simplification. Bejing isn't some community of sweat shop workers that live on grass and curse their government. Actually, it's one of the most expensive cities in the world to live in. Studying abroad in itself can be a good experience too, certainly from a cultural point of view. My American History professor drilled this into our head for the the entire quarter..

Here are some summer study programs in China that might interest you:

http://www.studyabroad.com/programs/high_school/china

Or if you want to study there are a college student (a minor in a foreign language could be useful):

http://www.studyabroad.com/programs/summer/beijing
rTzAug 6, 2009 1:02 PM
"When he will, the weary world
Of the senses closely curled
Like a serpent round his heart
Shakes herself and stands apart."
- A.C., Equinox I/I
Aug 6, 2009 6:27 PM
Nov 2007
I concur with rTz in that studying abroad can be highly beneficial for an individual, both educationally and for a future career. It also has the added benefit of broadening your knowledge of countries outside your own, and for your own personal benefit. I also second rTz in saying that it would be wise to study overseas when you're in college/university, not high school.
If studying in China would be beneficial to you, then its not something everyone should be writing off without having thought about any potential, without personal bias for that matter.

One of my good friend's brother studied abroad for one year in Beijing, China, and he really enjoyed his year there. He immersed himself in the culture and people he was with, the language, and of course his studies, and still kept in contact with his family here. He was studying law here, and went there to improve his knowledge of Mandarin, which has its benefits further down the track both on your CV and his field of study. Regardless studying overseas is a positive move to make, albeit a country that benefits you individually, and what it is you want to pursue.
Have a look at other countries too, and make sure that you know where you want to go. Of course you won't fully know until you start studying and living there, but that doesn't mean you can't do some good research at home first to make the best decision possible. If China proves to be the place for you, then great, do it, you're only here once.
Aug 6, 2009 7:37 PM
Jul 2018
I wouldn't know, but the best of luck to you.
Aug 6, 2009 8:19 PM

Jul 2007
Ignore the people who are blowing steam out their ass and basing the system of their (rather flawed) stereotypical views of China.

It depends really, on what school are you going to? I'm pretty sure you have to pass an entrance exam to get into most high schools though. You're better off asking somewhere else than here where people are more familiar with the education system of china.
Aug 6, 2009 9:31 PM

May 2009
Where are you from that you want to go to china for highschool? i can see going for a year or something as an exchange student, but... why for the entire time? i mean their education system can't be that much better then where you are from... right? oh well... have fun with the pollution...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!
Aug 7, 2009 5:12 PM

Jul 2007
Pash said:
Where are you from that you want to go to china for highschool? i can see going for a year or something as an exchange student, but... why for the entire time? i mean their education system can't be that much better then where you are from... right? oh well... have fun with the pollution...

It depends on where you're going for high school in china.

High schools, especially in the city, are also tend to be quite rigorous as you have to pass an entrance exam to get in. This does not include the private schools which are possibly some of the best schools in the world.

And as for the pollution, it definitely is worse than than in most other places, with the possible exception of India. For most people though, it won't have a huge impact but it is still advisable to leave in less urban areas there.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.