Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Aug 8, 2009 8:41 PM
Sep 2008
Usually I defend the series from people who think the entire series is just "Horo-service" and discount the other good points of the show, but from the comments here I'm beginning to think I'm in the minority.

And you're SUPPOSED to want to know what happens next. And what's with the 'arcs'? This isn't Bleach.

Wikipedia :O
"Neon Genesis Evangelion, for example, is a single story arc spanning 26 episodes."

"Manga and Anime are usually good examples of arc-based stories, to the point that most series shorter than 26 chapters are a single, huge arc spanning all the chapters."

My point-quit bitching about the arc length.
Aug 8, 2009 11:25 PM

Jan 2009
ok ep, just wish we'd see more Horo and less negotiating. It makes my brain ache.

Aug 9, 2009 2:45 AM

Apr 2008
seeing horo with that guy really hurt me :(

(btw is it horo or holo , acording to mal its holo)
Aug 9, 2009 3:46 AM
Jun 2007
It's Holo, but the old spelling was Horo and imo looks better.
Aug 9, 2009 10:56 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
Axxendal said:
Usually I defend the series from people who think the entire series is just "Horo-service" and discount the other good points of the show, but from the comments here I'm beginning to think I'm in the minority.

And you're SUPPOSED to want to know what happens next. And what's with the 'arcs'? This isn't Bleach.

exactly, people are overreacting because they didn't show enough Horo...<_<

But I am liking this pretty original development. It would be boring if everything was predictable...
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Aug 9, 2009 11:32 AM
Dec 2008
Didn't quite get the end, what was so special about the coins that made lawrence look so worried. Or was it just an act to confuse amarty?

Sent with Mal Updater
Aug 9, 2009 2:24 PM
Sep 2008
Papander said:
Didn't quite get the end, what was so special about the coins that made lawrence look so worried. Or was it just an act to confuse amarty?

They're gold coins instead of silver, so instead of 300 silver coins he got 14 or so gold coins. Which means he can't really use any of it unless he exchanges back to silver coins. Which would be a problem if he had to make a lot of small transactions.
So if he was relying on Amarty's payment for anything, he's now screwed.
(Kinda like using a $100 bill at McDonald's or something-they'll refuse it and make you go find some smaller bills.)

At least, that's how I thought of it.
Aug 9, 2009 2:50 PM

Jun 2007
Axxendal said:
Papander said:

They're gold coins instead of silver, so instead of 300 silver coins he got 14 or so gold coins. Which means he can't really use any of it unless he exchanges back to silver coins. Which would be a problem if he had to make a lot of small transactions.
(Kinda like using a $100 bill at McDonald's or something-they'll refuse it and make you go find some smaller bills.)

It also cost a little extra for Amarty to upscale to a gold coin (ie. Service charge). I think Lawrence already mentioned that in the episode or a past one. Lawrence sees this as omg if he has that kind of money then that must mean he's almost at his projected total or he's really confident that he will win. I think with that and a combination of what you said have thrown Lawrence for a loop.
Aug 9, 2009 4:11 PM

Jan 2009
the series sort of feels like dragonball z now. little progress per episode but leaves you at a cliffhanger anyway. kinda like a f*** you to the viewers. what exactly is the producer stalling for? theres only 12 episodes.
Aug 9, 2009 4:18 PM

Dec 2007
kintoki said:
the series sort of feels like dragonball z now. little progress per episode but leaves you at a cliffhanger anyway. kinda like a f*** you to the viewers. what exactly is the producer stalling for? theres only 12 episodes.

no, dont compare spice and wolf with dragonball. maaan.
Aug 9, 2009 5:34 PM
Jul 2009
Each novel is split into 6 distinct chapters. Each chapter becomes an episode. For the producers of the anime to screw with the built-in breaks in the story, would be weird and forced.
Aug 9, 2009 6:26 PM
Jul 2008
DeathfireD said:
Axxendal said:
Papander said:

It also cost a little extra for Amarty to upscale to a gold coin (ie. Service charge). I think Lawrence already mentioned that in the episode or a past one. Lawrence sees this as omg if he has that kind of money then that must mean he's almost at his projected total or he's really confident that he will win. I think with that and a combination of what you said have thrown Lawrence for a loop.

Maybe Amarty is an alchemist or an Animal Hunter. That would explain how he gets his coins or how he got Holo so close to him.
Aug 9, 2009 6:40 PM

Jul 2008
kintoki said:
Really? I mean... really? I think the show that takes that cake this season is Haruhi.

BEGINNER
Aug 9, 2009 8:37 PM

Jul 2009
wow that had to hurt holo standing next to that bastard. I'm really starting to hate Amati guts now he suppose to be a knight in shining Armour but he's more like a black knight. but great episode tho
Aug 10, 2009 12:30 AM

Apr 2008
i have this pain in my chest everytime i think about spice n wolf :(
Aug 10, 2009 1:24 AM
May 2008
on what day this show is airing?
Aug 10, 2009 2:00 AM

Oct 2008
wakka9ca said:
Axxendal said:

exactly, people are overreacting because they didn't show enough Horo...<_<

But I am liking this pretty original development. It would be boring if everything was predictable...

Yo yo so nice to see people defending spice and wolf 2 here. Keep it up!
I love the series.
Lawrence had his mind set on business so much that he was starting to forget what's important.
Aug 10, 2009 1:03 PM

Dec 2007
Great buildup episode, can't wait for next week. I couldn't stop reading during the upcoming financial battle, it was just that intense.
Aug 10, 2009 1:53 PM
Jul 2009
SGx2 said:

If you check the wikipedia list of episodes for Spice and Wolf, the air dates all land on a Thursday. I don't know how accurate that is but my gut feeling would say Thursday or Friday.
Aug 10, 2009 6:17 PM

Jun 2008
Oh the suspense is killing me! Even if I have no idea what the hell they're talking about half the time, it's okay. I miss Horo and Lawrence together and I hope he can win her back. Wohoo!
Aug 10, 2009 6:35 PM

Apr 2007
This is turning into a very nice study of the emotional condition of someone facing loss. Watching Lawrence gradually sink at points into self-doubt and desperation is pretty involving for me as a viewer. I think it's a credit to the storytelling that it has been able to take Amarty, who has done everything by the rules and in his mind likely thinks he is doing the right thing, and make him into an absolute villain loathed by a lot of viewers, simply because we have made a connection with Lawrence and are rooting for him. That empathy that we're feeling is a sign of really good writing, in my opinion.

That being said, I am still awaiting, fully expecting, and deeply desiring Amarty to have a "Trading Places"-level Randolph-and-Mortimer Duke "SELL SELL SELL" meltdown within the next episode or two.
Aug 10, 2009 7:46 PM
Jul 2009
Kittenia said:
Oh the suspense is killing me! Even if I have no idea what the hell they're talking about half the time, it's okay. I miss Horo and Lawrence together and I hope he can win her back. Wohoo!

It's not a matter is he can but rather when. The title is Spice and Wolf after all.

Iri said:
This is turning into a very nice study of the emotional condition of someone facing loss. Watching Lawrence gradually sink at points into self-doubt and desperation is pretty involving for me as a viewer. I think it's a credit to the storytelling that it has been able to take Amarty, who has done everything by the rules and in his mind likely thinks he is doing the right thing, and make him into an absolute villain loathed by a lot of viewers, simply because we have made a connection with Lawrence and are rooting for him. That empathy that we're feeling is a sign of really good writing, in my opinion.

Can't agree more. Viewer reaction is a sign of good writing. That being said, I'm still impatient.
Aug 10, 2009 9:23 PM

Sep 2008
unlisted said:
SGx2 said:

If you check the wikipedia list of episodes for Spice and Wolf, the air dates all land on a Thursday. I don't know how accurate that is but my gut feeling would say Thursday or Friday.

Thats from when it got subbed. Not When it airs. It airs Wednesday in Japan and is subbed about 24 hours later.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Aug 10, 2009 10:08 PM
Jul 2009
Jigero said:

Thats from when it got subbed. Not When it airs. It airs Wednesday in Japan and is subbed about 24 hours later.

Oh cool. Thanks for a definite answer.

It would be cool to find little facts like these on the anime profile pages.
Aug 11, 2009 2:07 AM

May 2008
Ok now whats happening, amarty gave the golden coins...horo is with him..
T___T want ep 6 now.
Aug 11, 2009 9:19 AM

May 2009
Even though i like this show , only one thing i can say : Too much Spice not enough Wolf these past two episodes.
Aug 11, 2009 9:54 AM

May 2008
LagTag said:
Even though i like this show , only one thing i can say : Too much Spice not enough Wolf these past two episodes.

Season 1 was too much Wolf anyway.
Aug 11, 2009 1:49 PM

Feb 2008
cyrelleboa7 said:
If I were Amarty, I'd just grab Horo and run away as soon as I found out that she's an indebted nun.. =)

Bah, if I was Amarty I would have grabbed her and ran no matter what I heard, because Horo~ <3

While I've been enjoying these recent episodes, I can say I'm a bit annoyed at this arc stretching on for so long, since it seems obvious to me that this drama can't really go anywhere if the series is to continue. I suppose I wouldn't mind too much if it ends next episode and leads to some decent development in Lawrence and Horo's relationship, though.
Aug 11, 2009 10:46 PM
Jul 2009
Iri said:
This is turning into a very nice study of the emotional condition of someone facing loss. Watching Lawrence gradually sink at points into self-doubt and desperation is pretty involving for me as a viewer. I think it's a credit to the storytelling that it has been able to take Amarty, who has done everything by the rules and in his mind likely thinks he is doing the right thing, and make him into an absolute villain loathed by a lot of viewers, simply because we have made a connection with Lawrence and are rooting for him. That empathy that we're feeling is a sign of really good writing, in my opinion

I love this. Please comment on more things so I can read them. Another sign of the good writing is that episode 3 made me jump over to Baka-Tsuki and read the light novel this arc is based on, because I couldn't stand the tension.
Aug 13, 2009 1:24 AM

Jan 2008
Not enough Horo but this sure is getting good.
Aug 16, 2009 4:01 AM

Feb 2008
Rather late for the 5th episode. But I didnt want to watch it in a rush, so I had to wait until now (...damn real life).

Disadvantage: Everything important has been said already. :P
Advantage: The 6th episode awaits me right now. :D

I have to highlight again how brilliant the story of the novel is turned into motion. Every important aspect is there. *happy*
Too long arc? No way .... for me its exactly as its supposed to be!

noteDhero said:
I wish you would post spoilers in spoiler tags.

Quote for undeniable truth!
Please consider the fact that only a few people have read the novel. A lot of people dont want to get spoiled in case of future events!
Aug 19, 2009 7:23 PM

Jul 2009
huge cliffhanger this ep(well,not that big..but still...) i just hope Horo and Lawrence will end up together in the end,as long as it is not the ULTRA-SUPER-(not)AWESOME-Happy Ending, im ok with it ^^
innominateinkAug 19, 2009 7:28 PM
Aug 20, 2009 7:08 PM

Jun 2008
Am a little lost on those trading tricks each one is playing and that credit thing he arranged with Amarty.

As for the end. Well i understand that he was shocked from seeing Horo there but5 maybe it wasn't only that but the fact that she was also saying something to Amarty. As we know Horo is smart and knows how Lawrence thinks. So maybe that made him feared that not only she would choose Amarty if he doesn't manage do stop him from gathering the 1000 silver coins but also will give him advice that can destroy Lawrence.

By the way does anyone knows what exactly is the problem with the gold coins?
MonadAug 20, 2009 7:12 PM
Aug 24, 2009 6:12 AM

Feb 2008
Monad said:

By the way does anyone knows what exactly is the problem with the gold coins?

It was mentioned before by someone I guess:
Gold coins are bad for business since its simply too "valuable" for buying pyrite. Its like trying to buy candies with one hundred dollar bills. :P
Aug 26, 2009 12:03 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Lolvipogobacktoyourhood.

Don't like the way this is going, and there was indeed not enough Horo. Looking forward to episode 6.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Sep 26, 2009 3:28 AM

Oct 2008
Thank god I'm watching all the episodes at once after delaying watching the series while it was airing. If I had to wait one week for each of these episodes I would be blowing up right now at the pacing of the series.

Episode was good, but the series up to this point has been quite slow.. I loved the ending portion of this episode, Lawrence's emotional change when he saw Horo really made me feel empathetic towards him. He really cares a lot about her but shes acting like a stuck-up cow right now. .

Hopefully it speeds up to a conclusion in the next episode. Also, Amarty needs to die; very, very painfully. (That was random)
Oct 17, 2009 11:29 AM

Aug 2009
Damn, I think Amati will win. Fuck you Amati, you faggot.
Poor Lawrence, wonder what he will do to get Horo back.

Very nice episode overall. Feel bad for Lawrence though, it's like everything is against him. Good for him that he still has Mark, Bartose, and Deanna.
Oct 17, 2009 11:32 AM

Feb 2009
HOLO DIES AT THE END !!! MWHAHAHA

Nov 6, 2009 2:40 PM

Dec 2007
It makes me hurt so much when I saw Amarty stays with Horo while Lawrence have nothing to do but watch. This episode was really good, and I enjoyed it so far. Not enough Horo, though.
gameoffreak8Nov 6, 2009 3:00 PM
Nov 9, 2009 11:09 PM

Apr 2009
end this arc already please -_-"... i need to start studying for my exams =P... time for next ep gar!
Nov 10, 2009 10:48 AM
Nov 2009
A lot of people have been whining about the recent lack of Horo, but I think it's doing this show a world of good. It shows that they are willing to develop the idiot merchant into a decent character, despite everyone clamoring for more of the idiot wolf girl.

The side characters are quite good in this arc. Mark and Lando are excellent friends, and it's quite sad that Lawrence didn't even realize what a "friend" was. Makes his obliviousness a lot more bearable, even if it's forced. Likewise, Deanna and Bartose are fun to watch.

Amarty is just pathetic. Waste of an interesting character to turn him into a mustache-twirling villain. And the less said of Horo the better. White feathers? What a dumbass. This could be read as a complete betrayal. If she's supporting him, why not make it obvious and just smile warmly at him?
Nov 13, 2009 2:45 AM

Jun 2009
I guess I must be one of the few who thinks this season has been better than the first so far. But, then again most people's excuses for this are no better than "needs moar Horo!"
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jan 7, 2010 8:11 PM
Feb 2009
Amaty might hav bought those damn stones..
Feb 7, 2010 12:01 PM

Jul 2009
Epic tension! I have no word to explain what I feel now! This is check and mate! Lawrence, I believe in you! I know you find a way out!
Apr 18, 2010 2:53 PM
Nov 2009
DUDEZ i hope that " horo" still is untoutched if you kno what i mean xDDD

and she should be a bit more thankful to lawrence srsly :<
Jun 11, 2010 7:11 PM

Aug 2008
I don't like this Armati guy.
He's rude for sweeping in and trying to snatch someone's companion away.
Jun 25, 2010 10:15 AM

Dec 2009
Probably Horo will choose Lawrence no matter what , she isn't that weak of a character after all.
Aug 1, 2010 5:14 PM

Jul 2008
Kenaya said:
Epic tension! I have no word to explain what I feel now! This is check and mate! Lawrence, I believe in you! I know you find a way out!

I know what'cha mean..The tension is killing me! Lawrence just seems to get screwed left and right lol
Aug 21, 2010 5:55 AM
Sep 2009
as call of duty would say. "better start over coz we just got our asses kicked"
god bless ghost and I hope the cross reference isn't a pain for those who bothered reading this far.
Aug 22, 2010 9:13 AM

Apr 2009
That suspense is killing me. argh...
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou II Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

vinesage - Sep 23, 2009

445 by patkarunungan »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou II Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

vinesage - Sep 2, 2009

210 by BetaMaleUltra »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou II Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

vinesage - Aug 26, 2009

134 by BetaMaleUltra »»
Yesterday, 2:57 PM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou II Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

vinesage - Aug 19, 2009

189 by BetaMaleUltra »»
Yesterday, 2:25 PM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou II Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

dbaranyi - Aug 12, 2009

291 by BetaMaleUltra »»
Yesterday, 3:56 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.