Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 13, 2007 3:11 AM

Aug 2006
Since its Friday the 13th I would like to know who out there is superstitious? And if you are what sort of things do you do to prevent ominous events from occurring. Oh yeah, also if you're up for it, what was the most unluckiest thing that had ever happened to you?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Apr 13, 2007 3:30 AM

Oct 2006
you beat me to this topic :P

anyway here's a lil background on this old superstition
History of Friday the 13th
There is no reliable evidence that Friday the 13th was considered to be especially inauspicious before the late nineteenth century, though both Friday and the number thirteen were separately identified as negative. Because of this, attempts to explain the superstition with reference to historical events are speculative.

One proposed origin relates to the Last Supper. Judas, the thirteenth guest, was instrumental in the Crucifixion of Jesus, which happened on a Friday.

Other theories offered in relation to Friday suggest that Eve offered the apple to Adam on a Friday or the slaying of Abel happened on a Friday (though the Bible does not identify the days of the week when these events occurred).

It is also sometimes claimed that the superstition derived from the massacre of the Knights Templar on Friday October 13, 1307. King Philip IV of France ordered the destruction of the Templars, after having claimed that they were engaged in heretical practices. Philip sent letters to his forces all over the country with instructions to open that morning. The orders were simple - seek out and arrest all known members of the Knights, slaughter those that resisted, and capture Jacques DeMolay, the last known Grand Master of the Knights Templar. (See also History of the Knights Templar)

However, no evidence is known to link the superstition to any specific events or suggest that there is any continuity from the Middle Ages to the present day.

Effects in people and cultures

"It's been estimated that [U.S] $800 or $900 million is lost in business on this day because people will not fly or do business they would normally do,"

Some people are so paralyzed by fear that they are simply unable to get out of bed when Friday the 13th rolls around. The Stress Management Center and Phobia Institute estimates that more than 17 million people are affected by a fear of this day.

A British Medical Journal study has shown that there is a significant increase in traffic related accidents on Friday the 13ths. Despite that representatives for both Delta and Continental Airlines say that their airlines don't suffer from any noticeable drop in travel on those Fridays.

The date is well-known in the motorcycle (biker) community: Since 1981, motorcycle enthusiasts and vendors gather every Friday the 13th in Port Dover, Ontario, Canada. This tradition started on November 13, 1981 by Chris Simons as a gathering of approximately 25 friends. The event has grown substantially, with an estimated 100,000 people attending in August 2004, as well as music bands, vendors, a bike show, etc.

In the Spanish-speaking world, it is Tuesday the 13th (as well as Tuesdays in general) that brings bad luc; a proverb runs En martes, ni te cases ni te embarques (on Tuesday, neither get married nor start a journey)

-taken from here.

I prefer to believe that firday 13th brings good fortune ^^ . though I'm not really supertitious. But I'll be playing the lotery today xD

as for the most unluckiest thing that ever happened to me I'll need to ponder my choice lol.
Apr 13, 2007 4:00 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
I usually don't care about Friday 13th, but today I learned that I failed an exam which is very difficult a re-take D: . So yeah, horrible day.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Apr 13, 2007 5:26 AM

Nov 2004
Well... I don't really care about this day. I even forgot it was Friday the 13th.
Apr 13, 2007 5:45 AM

Jul 2005
I didn't even know until now XD
Usually I don't really care about this day but this morning was really horrible so maybe it does have something to do with this day ^--~
Apr 13, 2007 5:48 AM

Jan 2007
I dont care but now I am going to see some scary movies and see if any thing happens like bad luck.
Apr 13, 2007 6:32 AM
Overlord

Nov 2004
You just had to go and tell me it's Friday the 13th....BAH! I'm not superstitious, but sometimes I feel that the chances of mistakes are more likely to happen on days like these because of our pre-condition to it being "Friday the 13th".
Apr 13, 2007 8:25 AM

Mar 2007
Friday the 13th is just like any other day ): Just happened to be my lucky day today.
Apr 13, 2007 8:31 AM

Feb 2007
o.O

Apr 13, 2007 9:09 AM

Mar 2007
Crystal said:
Well... I don't really care about this day. I even forgot it was Friday the 13th.

ow yeah! me too AUhAUHa!!! i just remembered 'cause i saw this topic heuehe...

well.. 2 friends of mine have a tradition: every Fridey 13th they gather to watch Jason's movies ^_^!!! so... i see friday 13th as a nice day ... freaking ooOOOooOooo... uaHuAH..
"It's Hitsugaya Taichou to you..!!! ¬¬*!!"

hey... extremely-ultra-nice Bleach clubs: Hitsugaya and Ulquiorra clubs ^_^! join now xDD
Apr 13, 2007 9:51 AM

Mar 2007
Jason ftw, he's pretty dam cool
Apr 13, 2007 9:59 AM

Aug 2006
Not superstitious at all... my only thought today:

THANK GOD IT'S FRIDAY!!! =D
Apr 13, 2007 10:01 AM

Apr 2007
I didn't know it was Friday the 13th til I read this either! I usually don't care and I like to freak people out today but karma happened. I just had a paranormal experiance today....or so I think?

First of all I live in a 6 story apartment building and I live on the 5th floor. So what happened was I didn't wanna go to class today. My mom was still home but she said she was gonna leave in 15min or so. I decided ok, i'm gonna stall time and leave a bit to eat and come back.

As I got a sammich for the corner store I needed somewhere to eat. I figured why not sit on the stairs by my buildings roof door? No one usually goes there at that time of day and it was cold anyway. So I skipped the elevator and walked the long way up the stairs to avoid getting caught.

As I was nearing the 6th floor, I took a small break to catch my breath and proceeded. Then it happened. I was about 10 steps away from that door but I heard this REALLY REALLY REALLY loud scream in my ear and it hurt. It was to the point where I couldn't hear my own steps running away back down the stairs.

The noise didn't stop til I was between the 6th and 5th floor.

I knew that door had an alarm but I wasn't near it and the alarm was more of a loud beeping noise.

@_@

Apr 13, 2007 11:31 AM

Feb 2007
Too lazy to write it again...
[18:37] Talon: today closed the program with 3 hours of work in it
[18:37] Talon: without
[18:37] Talon: saving....
[18:37] cyruz: ah man, i know how that feels. totally sucks
[18:38] Talon: ctrl + q instead of ctrl + a and on reflex on "no don't save" clicked
[18:38] cyruz: yeah
[18:38] cyruz: sry to hear
[18:38] Talon: and it was pure artwork >_<
[18:38] cyruz: :<
[18:39] Talon: everyone in the building knew it 2 seconds later (after I'd realize what I've done)
[18:39] cyruz: lol
[18:41] cyruz: shit happens though
[18:41] cyruz: nothing much you can do about it now
[18:41] Talon: and then my boss said with knowing it couldn't be if i had my work done... I've chaced him to the other side of the room...
[18:41] cyruz: lol
[18:42] Talon: ah well, it's done now, good excuse to my boss, it was friday the 13th

source: IRC

Donate to my awesomeness! | "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
Apr 13, 2007 12:42 PM

Aug 2006
Well here's one of my most unlucky moments that happened to me back in my first year of University. I was in the lab for a first year programming course where they'd give you some engineering problem and you have two hours to write some code to solve it. Anyway, time was almost up and I was pretty much done but my friend who was sitting beside me on the end row of computers needed some help. So I thought okay, since I'm pretty much done anyway I'll help you. So I was helping him not noticing that he was kicking the back wall under his desk because time was almost up and he was nervous about not finishing on time. About two minutes left and he was pretty much typing up the last few lines of code with my advice when all of a sudden all of the computers in our row and the next row shut off! So everyone gasped because we'd all lost all of our work. So what was the reason that the computers shut off. Remember my friend kicking the wall, well dumb dumb accidentally kicked the main power bar off with his foot in the last few minutes of the lab LMAO! Yeah, so everyone in those two affected rows all got zero for the lab since time was up and the computers were still booting up. And you can guess that this incident occurred on Friday the 13th oOo. LOL, that was actually his (my friend's) excuse as well.

P.S. The class also decided to have a short discussion with him after the lab ... in the parking lot :P.
Apr 13, 2007 1:28 PM
Overlord

Nov 2004
Ahahaha. Nice zanmato. :)
Apr 13, 2007 2:26 PM

Jul 2006
Hmm, the only bad things that happened to me today were: a pop quiz in history, smudged eyeliner that my friend felt the need to fix, a chemistry test (though that was easy), and apparently my friend finally beat me by getting a better score on his math quiz than me......... But that's not really bad cuz I didn't know we were competing...
So yea, I don't really believe in bad luck, but I wear black on friday the 13th just to get in the spirit ^_^
Apr 13, 2007 2:41 PM
Apr 2007
I don't believe in that stuff..

But I crashed with my bike today while I was going to work.. and yea,, it did ouchie ._.

And it's almost the 14th already.. Time flies when you're having fun X_x
Apr 13, 2007 2:57 PM

Dec 2006
I don't believe in Friday the 13th being unlucky. Usually I'm actually pretty lucky on that day.

:/

I do believe that if you do believe that Friday the 13th is unlucky then it is for you though... If that makes sense.
Apr 13, 2007 2:59 PM

Aug 2006
Ceray said:

I do believe that if you do believe that Friday the 13th is unlucky then it is for you though... If that makes sense.

Yep, yep ignorance is bliss! I believe in the same thing.
Apr 13, 2007 7:25 PM

Oct 2006
FurubaFan said:
Not superstitious at all... my only thought today:

THANK GOD IT'S FRIDAY!!! =D

QFT

Friday = My favorite manga is released, I can play the whole day, and it also means that it's relaxing day for me :D
13 = My favorite number, no really.
Apr 13, 2007 7:31 PM

Mar 2007
oh please........friday the 13th.......

What those superstitious people don't understand, is that there's an equal amount of bad luck on every other day. Just to blame things like that to specific conditions like a friday that's the 13th day of a month is just rediculous. It's like saying that you believe in God, just because there are unexplanable things in life....... >.>
Apr 13, 2007 7:31 PM

Jan 2007
I had a pretty spectacular day today...if the date is the reason for it, I wish it was Friday the 13th every day. :)
Apr 13, 2007 7:59 PM

Aug 2006
I didn't even know it was friday the 13th.

Never mind if I believe that this day promotes bad luck, I don't even really believe in luck at all =/

Life is just a series of random unpredictable events.
Apr 13, 2007 8:18 PM

Jan 2007
I'm usually pretty lucky on this day, however, today was pretty much just another normal day. But I had one friend who had the absolute worst day of her life today and she was superstitious so...

I agree with Ceray in that it's only bad if you think it will be.

Apr 14, 2007 3:40 AM

Jan 2005
I survived... :p
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.