3It was OK
5.7%
2Disliked it
1.3%
1Hated it
1.1%
Average 4.6
1,641 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 3, 2009 11:31 AM

Sep 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This movie had a lot of weird moments, but I thought it tied together nicely for an enjoyable experience =)
KinetaSep 9, 2012 7:38 PM

Aug 7, 2009 1:18 AM

Aug 2008
Wow, this was very well done. The story is absolutely legendary or some other word that relates to mystical but it doesn't cross the line into becoming an epic. Now that is very hard to do. Anyways I liked it a lot.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 4, 2009 7:22 PM
(Gamer)

Aug 2009
That movie was pretty good. I felt like watching it since I enjoyed My Neighbor Totoro when I was a kid.

Sep 19, 2009 11:49 PM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
I re-watched this today with some friends and after not seeing it in so long it really reminded me just how much I liked this movie. By far my favorite Studio Ghibli movie and in fact one of my favorite movies of all time.
Oct 19, 2009 9:02 PM

Jan 2009
This was literally the first anime I ever watched and I can't think of a better way to get into anime than by watching this movie (or anything else by Hayao Miyazaki, for that matter).
Nov 15, 2009 8:22 PM
Oct 2009
the movie is defiantly a master piece and a great movie for anime starters and every one can enjoy it. Have watched this movie several times over the years 6 or 7 i think.
Nov 28, 2009 10:06 PM

Feb 2009
I didn't think it was the masterpiece a lot of people say it is, but it was definitely the most original movie I've ever seen.

I have no problems with slow pacing or simple movies, and if there were 2 things this movie excelled at, they were enjoyment and originality.

The No-Face character was such a mysterious and interesting character it became my favorite character in Spirited Away, I just wished it had its background explored a little, anyway it delivered on its role 100%
Dec 8, 2009 12:51 PM

May 2009
Weird and mysterious and funny and interesting. It was a bit slow, but I enjoyed it.
Mar 31, 2010 7:16 PM

May 2008
Loved it. Great story and great artwork, a well put together movie :).
Apr 18, 2010 8:31 AM
Mar 2010
Wooh first anime I watched, Didnt know name till now^^
Apr 22, 2010 10:50 PM

Nov 2008
Don't like chihiro mom ~
Apr 24, 2010 8:08 PM

Jul 2009
I'm sorry but, I cannot find any reasons why anybody would give this a 9 or higher. Imo, it was just entertaining to me, no moral lessons, no heart aching drama, no flashy fights, just a borderline pass in each genre. Sorry if I didn't open my eyes and see the magnificent world that most people see but, I got more out of a Disney film than this.
May 16, 2010 9:41 AM
Sep 2009
I love the originality of ghibli films and this was no exception
Jun 3, 2010 4:31 PM

Jan 2010
I reallyy liked it. Haku, for some reason, was my favorite. Chihiro (Sen) changed for the good by the end. Really like all the supporting character.
In all, entertaining movie. 9 for me.
Dec 17, 2010 6:30 PM

Jul 2008
Absolutely loved the movie <3. Haku (my fav <3), the plot, the setting, the characters were all great. Even though Chihiro was annoying at the beginning, later on she changed for better and I liked her too. And this little mouse or what animal that was that Onibaba's son got changed into was soooooo cute~<33.

Haku x Chihiro ftw. XD

9/10
May 12, 2011 3:33 PM

Oct 2009
Good movie, it never was boring.
May 13, 2011 7:54 AM
Jun 2008
it was quite fun, nice animation and art, not a single wasted moment etc.
but what the fuck happened in the end?why did shed go to other witch?how did she knew the pig stuff ?when did she get the name?
fuck :X
Jul 15, 2011 6:22 PM

Jun 2009
Very good movie (Why didn't i watch this sooner :/) And sad too. Had a lot emotion tied up in it and a amazing story!
I Think this is gonna be one of my favorite movies 10/10

Jul 20, 2011 4:38 PM

Jun 2009
Today, on the tenth anniversary of Spirited Away, I re-watched this movie for who-knows-how-many-times by now; I’ve lost the count already.

Spirited Away played a memorable part on my childhood; something I’ll never forget. After watching it again, I felt incredibly special and nostalgic. This fascinating fantasy world is so easy to immerse into, yet so difficult to let go. Not once I felt if only slightly bored; I didn’t even mind sitting there for two hours.

To me, this kind of experience clearly shows why one should re-watch certain films years after seeing them for the first time; to fully appreciate them and enjoy what you couldn’t before.

I love Spirited Away. I harbor not an ounce of doubt about it.
I think, then procrastinate.
Therefore, I am.
Jul 28, 2011 7:52 AM
Feb 2010
Love it, but could be much better.

Especially towards the end, the scenes seemed rushed and incomplete.
3 examples:

Noface (The guy with the mask) stopped chasing Chihiro after he became thin again. And somehow his voice was not explained well. Maybe it was the frog's voice it took over.

Chihiro said she wanted to help Haku, but it wasn't clear why she made the trip to the twin sister. As in what she hoped the twin sister would exactly do. Anyways, the twin sister couldn't do anything anyways. There was something said about rules interfering but.... not specified. The bug on the seal was also a bit not explained enough, about it controlling Haku.

The rules for Chihiro to go home with her parents were never mentioned before, and the contract Chihiro had signed should be a work contract, not a return home contract, so why is Babaa holding the contract?

Finally, Haku's story seems incomplete. Which in turn makes the whole movie seem incomplete.

Well, the movie is mostly good though. 9/10.
Aug 26, 2011 9:48 AM

May 2009
Ghibli has done an amazing job. I just LOVED it. :)
The small nuances in the animation was such a sweet taste! The soundtrack was awesome - well suited, and the characters were fresh and creative. I loved what they've made here! It's so touching, I really want more!!!!! :(

ChihiroxHaku.... ^_^ Cutest!

I loved the characters too. :) The baby was better in the mouse form. :))) The multiple animation in many scenes worked really well.
Gawd, it's a cute masterpiece. :) And I love how they've left instances in the movie for us to think about - like the healing medicine Chihiro got, and the amount of time that must have passed in the real world... It's left us to ponder, so we would carry the feeling for a longer time. I love that aspect. And this is gonna get a rewatch definitely!! =D
_____ _ _ ______

Within pain, there is desire.

_____ _ _ ______
Aug 28, 2011 5:27 AM

Apr 2011
I will never get sick of this movie, It is my favorite childrens movie and definitely in my top 3 movies of all time.

ahh The nostalgia <3
Aug 29, 2011 5:40 AM

Aug 2011
Loved it ! The end even made me cry and I don't know why , It was a great end . Must be something about the music :)
Oct 22, 2011 5:19 AM

Aug 2009
I love this movie.
Fantasy.
Never thought it was boring~

"Perhaps the distant part of the sky always seems clearest, so that we will always strive to reach it."

chiquit

Oct 26, 2011 3:35 PM

Sep 2011
Good movie.I loved every scene Haku's dragon self was in, I really liked his design and of course the great animation made it even better.I thought it didn't need that twin plot though, I would've liked it more if not for that.
Dec 7, 2011 7:07 PM

Nov 2009
I didn't enjoy this as much as I had expected...
to high expectations probably... and this is one of Studio Ghibli's movies I liked the least... But still very enjoyable... but fades compared to other Ghibli works imo !!
Jan 22, 2012 3:35 PM

Mar 2011
This was a pretty good movie, but I fail to see why it has such a legendary status.

My favourite characters were the fat mouse and tiny bird. So charming.

7-8/10
Mar 2, 2012 10:28 PM

Apr 2011
Epic Movie.

No wonder it won best animation in the oscars.
Mar 15, 2012 4:28 PM

Sep 2011
never a dull moment in this film. but i will admit it was very.....unique, even for an anime. I still think that it"s the best movie out there
Apr 4, 2012 6:13 PM

Nov 2011
Loved this movie, don't think I doubted it at all during the entire film
Apr 15, 2012 3:31 PM

Jul 2011
i had watched this movie when i was seven or eight i remember being scared of this movie but watching it all the way through then crying at the end i watched it again today because i thought about that time and once again i cried at the end this was the first anime movie i ever watched and the best.... and to me i think it did teach a lesson that curiosity kills the cat because if the parents never wandered through that tunnel none of that would have ever happened... i think im gonna show this movie to my little sisters
Apr 17, 2012 10:25 AM

Oct 2010
I am always the first one who talks about flaws in this movie and I still keep my opinion about the ending; I don't like how Miyazaki resolves the plot, it is still, no matter the way I look at it, too rushed and devoid of the inspirational tone of the rest.

With that said, I guess it is difficult to understand why do I still consider it my second favorite anime of all time. Spirited away is simply one of the most engrossing, imaginative and overall fascinating movies I have ever seen. It is a prodigy of imagination like I have never seen, before nor after, and holds so many details that in rewatch I enjoy to analyze, theorize about and put together in the plot; it shows a world of characters and little stories that far exceed the first view in complexity and cohesion (in my opinion), and the movie overall feels like the most personal declaration of principles of Miyazaki, a work whose symbolic and philosophical meanings could be discussed endlessly.

In addition to this, it has the best of the Studio Ghibli in terms of visual wonder, music (I think this, and not Princess Mononoke, is the best track from Hisaishi) and animation. This work is aesthetically, maybe the best, well no, scratch that, the BEST I have ever seen in animation. It has a level of detail, not only in the backgrounds, but in the character design, the gestures, the reactions, every single thing is wonderfully meticulous and at the same time leaves a feeling of naturalness that makes it even better. For example, one of my favorite scenes in the whole film involves something as dull and uninteresting as Chihiro walking with her parents, but the way is it depicted, how she gets left behind and has to take a run-up to reach them, and how this is repeated again, reinforcing this little and insignificant gesture, The care put into drawing these details, that most authors would dismiss as irrelevant, is one of my favorite things Ghibli usually does and in this movie it is optimized to a level that becomes incredible.

10/10. Despite the ending complaints, which become minor in comparison with the rest of the work, this is one of the most beautiful, complex and inspirating movies I have ever seen.
Apr 22, 2012 3:22 AM
Apr 2012
the movie was very unique to all the other animes i have watched
Apr 26, 2012 10:37 PM
Mar 2010
Dunkjoe said:
Love it, but could be much better.

Especially towards the end, the scenes seemed rushed and incomplete.
3 examples:

Noface (The guy with the mask) stopped chasing Chihiro after he became thin again. And somehow his voice was not explained well. Maybe it was the frog's voice it took over.

Chihiro said she wanted to help Haku, but it wasn't clear why she made the trip to the twin sister. As in what she hoped the twin sister would exactly do. Anyways, the twin sister couldn't do anything anyways. There was something said about rules interfering but.... not specified. The bug on the seal was also a bit not explained enough, about it controlling Haku.

The rules for Chihiro to go home with her parents were never mentioned before, and the contract Chihiro had signed should be a work contract, not a return home contract, so why is Babaa holding the contract?

Finally, Haku's story seems incomplete. Which in turn makes the whole movie seem incomplete.

Well, the movie is mostly good though. 9/10.

I know that this is probably too late for you to ever see this, but I'm going to try to clear these misconceptions up in case anyone else who comes to this thread has the same questions.

I thought No Face's intentions were quite clear. "I think being in the bathhouse makes him crazy," Chihiro says when she's with Lin, paddling toward the station. No Face is fascinating because he takes on the feelings and the attitude of the people that he's around. That's why in the bathhouse he got greedy (alike everyone there) and self righteous. When he got away from the bathhouse, No Face's demeanor switched, thus making him have no intention to rampantly chase down Chihiro. As for his voice, I thought it was obvious that he was borrowing his voice from the toad. He only gained a voice when he consumed him, and it was the same voice actor.

Once again, I thought her intentions when she went to see Zeniba were clear as day. Chihiro was under the impression that Zeniba put a terrible curse on Haku because he stole her gold seal. She went to return the seal and apologize for Haku's actions, so that in return she would lift the curse. Obviously that's not how things were, but that's why she went. I think it's explained in the scene where Chihiro is talking to Kimaji.

Yubaba essentially owned Chihiro, thus making her unable to return home. That's why she was holding the contract.

It would be nice to have a little bit more on Haku's back story, but the movie was already passed 2h's long, so it's fine without imo. Kimaji explains to Chihiro -- right before she leaves -- how Haku got into Yubaba's hands. If anything, in the English dub they should have explained the relevance of the spirits and Gods. I don't really think they should have, because it would have taken away from the movie & I have no idea where they'd fit that in, but what people have to understand when watching this movie is that a lot of Japanese people believe that everything has a God. So you see that radish over there? It's got a God. You see that forest? It's got a God. You see that river? It's got a God. So basically Haku was the God of the Kohaku River. That's why he knew Chihiro, blah, blah, and the rest is history. So even though I thought that it'd be nice to have a little bit more of an understanding on Haku, I think they explained his character well enough.

/rant

"It's just...a bad dream! Wake up, wake up...!"
Jun 19, 2012 9:27 AM

Aug 2011
I give a 10 out of 10. (actually 9,6)

I liked every second I watched.
I can say I feel like a kid when I saw this kind of movie!
>‿<!! This made my mind blow away!! >‿<!! >‿<!!
Jun 30, 2012 1:38 AM

Sep 2011
One of the best anime movies thus far.
Jul 10, 2012 5:48 PM

May 2009
Awesome movie. It had been long since I last watched but it was still great.
"The weak get washed away by the tides of fate...The strong drink it up."-Godot
Jul 16, 2012 12:32 PM

Sep 2009
I think this was an original movie, but I don't get how this was the highest-grossing film in Japanese history. Some things in the movie were just weak.

However the art was amazing and the story was simple but charming. No Face was my favourite character and it would have been nice if he was given more purpose or backstory.

8/10 at most for me.
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.
Aug 11, 2012 1:44 PM

May 2012
Great movie, it was a nice story full of good elements bound together!

The ending was quite nice and the fact that time still proceeded was interesting "scene with the car being dusty and having leaves and branches on top" it was also nice to see that she still had that special hair band!

I really enjoyed it and give this a 5/5 - 9/10
Aug 16, 2012 6:42 PM

Mar 2011
I loved it!
The story was amazing and the animation blew me away!

<3

10/10
Aug 18, 2012 5:12 AM

Oct 2009
Re-watched this yesterday. Loved it once again! =)
Aug 21, 2012 3:29 AM
Aug 2012
Well I guess it's not too bad
Nov 20, 2012 9:30 AM

Apr 2012
Ah.. one of my favorite movies. I used to watch it all the time as a child.
This was always my reaction to the ending:
Dec 12, 2012 1:09 PM

Oct 2010
that was really good, it just got better and better, i am really happy i watched it now

9/10 or a 10/10 me thinks
Jan 13, 2013 11:12 AM

Jun 2012
I dont why I didnt watch this earlier. Loved it like all the other ghibli films.
Jul 8, 2013 4:04 AM

Oct 2009
Can't believe i took SO LONG to watch this..
It was excellent, the characters, the world, OST and the animation was just so good!

Wish we could see more of this world and explore about the characters.

But the ending was kinda sudden and ended rather abruptly..i think, i don't like that there wasn't a proper goodbye to Lin and Kamajii..

For being a 2hour movie this felt like 3hours to me!
Really enjoyed it.

8.6/10
Aug 1, 2013 9:50 AM

May 2010
It's been in my list for about 3 years and finally I watched it.
Really great movie.. I can't say it's perfect but it delivers well for me.
Probably, best Ghibli movie I've seen so far.. 9/10

And oh, No Face FTW!! :D
Sep 2, 2013 3:46 PM

Jan 2011
Nice movie, but far from being "the best movie ever made" or stuff like that. I actually liked Princess Mononoke more. Still have to watch most of the other movies, so let's see which one ends up as the best..
Sep 8, 2013 6:26 AM

Jul 2012
I enjoyed it a lot, but I didn't analyze it enough to give it a rating.

One question though: why did Haku steal that charm or whatever? Maybe I wasn't paying attention.
Oct 12, 2013 11:54 AM

Jun 2012
You know there is a lot more to this film than some think. Ever wonder: will Haku and Chihiro ever meet again? Well, it's open to interpretation, but I believe it's answered in the first line of the film: http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll62c7uic81qcukx1o1_500.png

There are a lot of small details people overlook, this movie is magnificently crafted. It will always remain one of my favorite anime films.
получить деньги моего друга
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Do you think Spirited Away is overrated? ( 1 2 3 4 )

deactivated30325 - Feb 3, 2014

178 by Feitan_exe »»
Apr 2, 1:09 AM

» More movie/shows with this plot?

_txhsin__ - Mar 30, 2023

14 by Zoldra0 »»
May 13, 2023 3:16 PM

» Movies as great as this one

Kondyaedus - Feb 11, 2022

31 by tamashinochi »»
Mar 15, 2023 1:36 AM

» What is so great with this movie

Kintoki37 - Oct 23, 2022

39 by YoungVagabond »»
Nov 25, 2022 9:53 AM

» How can I convince my brother to watch Spirited Away with me?

LoudyKaizoku - Jul 21, 2022

39 by J3_Omega »»
Sep 23, 2022 7:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.