Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 18 Discussion


#1
Aug 2, 2009 1:26 AM

Online
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 23708
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So, 18
- Xerxes adapted good.
- And so they ruin the wait by revealing THAT this episode....bastards... Lets take a note that manga fans waited an entire volume till they found that out. and they messed up by switching up the timeline....
- Ishval scene adapted good.
- Fragments of Winry's Parents adapted good.
- Aaaand it ends on cliffie :3


- And next episode, the slaughter every manga reader was awaiting :3
 
#2
Aug 2, 2009 1:48 AM
歌は愛♡歌は希望

Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 2804
Random thoughts:

▪ It was great seeing the ruins and I especially appreciated Ed with his hair down. <3
▪ Instead of looking evil, Roy looked badass when "killing" Maria this time around.
▪ Winry's parents deaths comes to light. Original anime fans will probably be surprised by this. I always found it to be one of the weirdest changes in the series.
▪ Sniper Mode!Riza saves the day. Riza is one of my favourite characters for a reason.


▪ ...Is it just me or did they cut out all the Ran Fan bits? D:
▪ Royai looks promising next episode. I've been tired of them cutting out most of the Royai scenes ;__;

BEGINNER
 
#3
Aug 2, 2009 1:53 AM

Online
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 23708
adamantine said:

▪ Winry's parents deaths comes to light. Original anime fans will probably be surprised by this. I always found it to be one of the weirdest changes in the series.

I am really liking on how it happened in fma manga/fma:B. It paves a way for a really great character development moments for Winry and EdWin

adamantine said:

▪ ...Is it just me or did they cut out all the Ran Fan bits? D:

Yes...

adamantine said:

▪ Royai looks promising next episode. I've been tired of them cutting out most of the Royai scenes ;__;


Hopefully, hopefully. They'll have to try hard for sure, considering JUST HOW MUCH they already took away from the world....
 
#4
Aug 2, 2009 2:12 AM
歌は愛♡歌は希望

Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 2804
Fai said:
adamantine said:
Winry's parents deaths comes to light. Original anime fans will probably be surprised by this. I always found it to be one of the weirdest changes in the series.
I am really liking on how it happened in fma manga/fma:B. It paves a way for a really great character development moments for Winry and EdWin
IA. I don't see why they needed to create more angst for Roy's character; the war did enough without adding that "plot twist" to the story. :|

Fai said:
and they messed up by switching up the timeline....
Not really? This just means we wont be seeing Ed for a few episodes since Central has become the focus.

BEGINNER
 
#5
Aug 2, 2009 10:49 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 793
Fai said:
- And so they ruin the wait by revealing THAT this episode....bastards... Lets take a note that manga fans waited an entire volume till they found that out. and they messed up by switching up the timeline....


i havent watched it yet but it if they revealed something early.....i will be mad.....the way the manga does everything is perfect why change it
 
#6
Aug 2, 2009 11:02 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 593
suigetsu00 said:
i havent watched it yet but it if they revealed something early.....i will be mad.....the way the manga does everything is perfect why change it


because anime is a different medium than manga, and exact adaptation does not make for a good adaptation.
 
#7
Aug 2, 2009 11:22 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 793
i just watched the raw dont understand japanese but im glad they kept the lling/window scene and barry/roy phone call scene in

 
#8
Aug 2, 2009 11:24 AM

Online
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 23708
fisher_88 said:
because anime is a different medium than manga, and exact adaptation does not make for a good adaptation.



Actually in this case the direct adaptation would have worked perfectly.

Thanks to the timeline switch-around did in this episode, this episode felt a bit disjointed, with the action going back and forth between two different places
 
#9
Aug 2, 2009 1:28 PM
歌は愛♡歌は希望

Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 2804
Fai said:
fisher_88 said:
because anime is a different medium than manga, and exact adaptation does not make for a good adaptation.
Actually in this case the direct adaptation would have worked perfectly.

Thanks to the timeline switch-around did in this episode, this episode felt a bit disjointed, with the action going back and forth between two different places.
It was even more obvious in the manga that Roy faked her death. His talk with Armstrong, and Ed being taken to Resembool to fix his automail even though Winry was in central... very, very obvious. So not finding out the truth about things for a few chapters wasn't a big deal.

Also it makes sense to sequence things this way because

BEGINNER
 
Aug 2, 2009 6:43 PM
 
Aug 2, 2009 9:36 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 311
'm sure the reveal wasn't this fast in the manga. . . . if so what was cut out to compensate? i'm gonna have to read it all over again now.
the masochist says "hurt me! hurt me!" the sadist replies "no"
 
Aug 2, 2009 9:46 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 593
Fai said:
Thanks to the timeline switch-around did in this episode, this episode felt a bit disjointed, with the action going back and forth between two different places


Since when did disjointed mean bad? (it was only two places, not five) How would a direct adaptation work better? It can work a little differently, yes, but better, probably not. Besides, by the end of last episode, evryone would have figured it out - why let it rot?

Besides, there are lots of other factors to consider (like number episodes). I have never seen a direct adaptation that worked perfectly - there will always be things to cut, things to move around, things to add.

Oh, on this episode, Barry stole the show - it must be quite the pleasure to have the chance to cut up your own body.
 
Aug 2, 2009 9:48 PM
歌は愛♡歌は希望

Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 2804
bubbleboy352 said:
'm sure the reveal wasn't this fast in the manga. . . . if so what was cut out to compensate? i'm gonna have to read it all over again now.
Nothing was cut. The manga doesn't show us where Ed and Armstrong go until after all the central stuff happens.

BEGINNER
 
Aug 2, 2009 10:06 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 1515
Ahh, Ross is alive! Big suprise.
The Rockbell's were killed by someone they had saved, hmm. Scar?
I hope Hawkeye doesnt die.. D:
 
Aug 2, 2009 10:23 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 810
So much win in this episode! :3
The animation of the Xerxes ruins was simply breathtaking. I got chills, I swear.
Ross reveal was perfect, and I didn't mind that it was moved up a little.
OH GOD, CENTRAL. The stuff this ep and next ep is one of my favorite parts of the manga. SO GOOD. I swear to God, I started flailing when they busted out the codenames. I've always loved the exchange between Roy and Riza during this bit.

Can't wait for next week, even though it involves
 
Aug 2, 2009 10:41 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 863
epic episode next week looks like hawkeye vs gluttny

5/5

im so glad ross alive^^

barry rules^^
 
Aug 2, 2009 11:10 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 3911
I knew there was something going on with Mustang that didn't seem right. Anyways I think that The Philosopher From the West/East are two different people. And uh... It'll probably be important for some reason. Also Scar apparently killed Winry's parents. So that's my thoughts on the episode. Lastly next episode seems to be action packed.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
 
Aug 2, 2009 11:49 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 417
If anyone couldn't tell Mustang didn't kill Ross based on that obvious coded message Armstrong was saying, they must be pretty dense. I didn't read the manga or see the other FMA and it still seemed pretty obvious.

Anyway, I hope blondie doesn't get eaten; and i wonder how Ed's gonna tell Winry the info he found out. lastly I assume the killer of her parents was Scar based on the arm marking line.

And i really do appreciate seeing posts using the spoiler tag and only alluding to things as "that" and such. At least I know I can read early posts thanks to the thoughtfulness of people.
 
Aug 3, 2009 12:33 AM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 25
Fai said:
fisher_88 said:
because anime is a different medium than manga, and exact adaptation does not make for a good adaptation.



Actually in this case the direct adaptation would have worked perfectly.

Thanks to the timeline switch-around did in this episode, this episode felt a bit disjointed, with the action going back and forth between two different places


There's no way to tell they are different timelines from anime, so actually everything fits perfectly
 
Aug 3, 2009 1:09 AM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 163
Man...



I cannot fucking wait.
 
Aug 3, 2009 1:28 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 5115
so this time around its scar who killed winry's parents, thats new; and way to go colonel, nice plan! and barry gets to chop his own body, very weird, and gluttony seems to want a bite of hawkeye
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
 
Aug 3, 2009 1:42 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 2180
Another change on the other version, on the parents of Winry. I still don't know what is the best guilty about it but this good.
Mustang not disappointed me on the Murder o// and can'ts wait for next episode, Gluttony vs Riza, just hope she does not die ;~~
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
 
Aug 3, 2009 2:36 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 1867
Fai said:
- And so they ruin the wait by revealing THAT this episode....bastards... Lets take a note that manga fans waited an entire volume till they found that out. and they messed up by switching up the timeline....


Unfortunately :( But it's good to see her again.
And I'm glad they didn't skip Barry's phone call after all.
I just LOVE Mustang Team's actions. The codenames and everything are awesome and the fact that everybody thinks he's just flirting on the phone just adds to the epicness xD
But DAMN IT I'm leaving town and I won't be around when
next week D:
EDIT: I just realised I didn't post this: LING, yay.
Modified by Cenedess, Aug 3, 2009 2:55 AM
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.


Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
 
Aug 3, 2009 3:32 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 3051
o_o this time it's a different person who killed the rockbell couple


 
Aug 3, 2009 3:32 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 843
ROY, HOW COULD I HAVE EVER DOUBTED YOU.

*sniffle*
<img src="http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e297/kitsu_ayame/Untitled-6.png" />
 
Aug 3, 2009 4:52 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 5089
this was awesome , dam but pretty mch focused on Ed, wish Al was there too

Awesome Sig by Lailide
 
Aug 3, 2009 5:15 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 1867
orangehouse said:
o_o this time it's a different person who killed the rockbell couple


So it wasn't him in the first series? :O Wow, I always thought it was important who did it...(won't spoiler though if people don't know yet xP)

Hotstrawberry said:
ROY, HOW COULD I HAVE EVER DOUBTED YOU.

*sniffle*


Haha, yeah, that was a pretty harsh test for the Mustang fandom xD
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.


Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
 
Aug 3, 2009 5:53 AM

Online
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 23708
Cenedess said:
orangehouse said:
o_o this time it's a different person who killed the rockbell couple


So it wasn't him in the first series? :O Wow, I always thought it was important who did it...(won't spoiler though if people don't know yet xP)


In FMA1 it was
 
Aug 3, 2009 6:38 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 1867
Fai said:
Cenedess said:
orangehouse said:
o_o this time it's a different person who killed the rockbell couple


So it wasn't him in the first series? :O Wow, I always thought it was important who did it...(won't spoiler though if people don't know yet xP)


In FMA1 it was


O__O ok...
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.


Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
 
Aug 3, 2009 10:19 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 104
Cenedess said:
Fai said:
Cenedess said:
orangehouse said:
o_o this time it's a different person who killed the rockbell couple


So it wasn't him in the first series? :O Wow, I always thought it was important who did it...(won't spoiler though if people don't know yet xP)


In FMA1 it was


O__O ok...


 
Aug 3, 2009 10:45 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 593
Why do I have to read ten posts about how the first series differs from the second? Are people still comparing them?
 
Aug 3, 2009 11:19 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 217
fisher_88 said:
Why do I have to read ten posts about how the first series differs from the second? Are people still comparing them?
I don't bother. First series was so long ago I can barely remember the details. It really bugs me how people keep on throwing up huge spoilers about the plot on here too - there is no need to tell us what's going to happen next episode, we can wait a week and watch it.

Loving the anime, Hawkeye was badass.
 
Aug 3, 2009 12:05 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 793
Cenedess said:
Fai said:
- And so they ruin the wait by revealing THAT this episode....bastards... Lets take a note that manga fans waited an entire volume till they found that out. and they messed up by switching up the timeline....


Unfortunately :( But it's good to see her again.
And I'm glad they didn't skip Barry's phone call after all.
I just LOVE Mustang Team's actions. The codenames and everything are awesome and the fact that everybody thinks he's just flirting on the phone just adds to the epicness xD
But DAMN IT I'm leaving town and I won't be around when
next week D:
EDIT: I just realised I didn't post this: LING, yay.


im glad they kept that too but they took out when barry knocks out falman lol

so glad they kept the ling/window scene too! lol epic ling
 
Aug 3, 2009 12:15 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 24
This episode had some great moments:

Ling sneaking into Al's room
Barry wanting to chop his own body ^_^
Mustang's team/plan - epic
and a great cliffhanger with the battle between Hawkeye and Gluttony, can't wait to see next week's episode.

I did find the part with the Ishbalans a bit forced. Them coming out of nowhere when Ed was alone, conveniently end up talking about the Rockbells.
Trying to get Scar back into the picture.
 
Aug 3, 2009 12:24 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 1245
Good episode.... I knew Mustang didn't kill Ross.

Poor Barry lost an arm he realy needs to get fixed up. Him wanting to chop up his own boddy was pretty funny.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise"
 
Aug 3, 2009 12:26 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 3911
Good episode - I can't remember this part from the manga that well so I didn't notice the time line change that people are complaining about :S
 
Aug 3, 2009 1:06 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 3813
I thought that FMAB would be a bit slower pace since it's just showing the manga scenes, but it's too fast.

I loved how it's animated and I can't wait for the next episode since it's Roy's group vs. the homunculus
 
Aug 3, 2009 1:07 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 2113
Now Ed found out who killed Winry's parents. Well I think he knows who is it.
Ling was great. I love that guy. Especially his seiyuu ^^
Barry was funny when he wanted to chop his body XD
Anyway next week it's Hawkeye x Gluttony fight. Can't wait
 
Aug 3, 2009 1:25 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 4367
Sloppy episode. One minute Ed and Armstrong are in Resembool, next their at the ruins, next Al's alone getting attacked by Ishval's, all with Al, Winry & Ling and Hawkeye, Barry & Gluttony sprinkled in.

Scar killing Winry's parents is actually funny. I cracked up when it was revealed. It just seems so melodramatic to hear/see it in this fashion. I'm currently rewatching the first, and as odd as that revelation was, it was handled a little bit better. Maybe I just feel like information like this shouldn't be tossed in as a side note/tangent, but whatever.
 
Aug 3, 2009 1:26 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 2128
oh god! i have to wait a week to watch the next epiosdee! ><

yeahh, Ross wasn't died and damn, riza versus the homuncolus! ><
 
Aug 3, 2009 1:38 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 2189
I liked this episode a bit more. Barry's just...awesome.

And Havoc looked like a ninja <:
 
Aug 3, 2009 2:03 PM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 5161
Good episode, nothing more. Not a lot of developments and direction and animation were below average this time. Next episode seems extremely cool though, I kinda like Riza, and an apparition by the Homunculi is always interesting.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
 
Aug 3, 2009 2:05 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 5257
This was an okay episode. Imo it would have been better if they saved the thing with Winry's parents for another episode (like it was done in the manga). There was already enough going on and it just wasn't the right time. I'm still looking forward to the next episode and at least they didn't spoil
Modified by Monochrome, Aug 3, 2009 2:10 PM
 
Aug 3, 2009 2:25 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 184
Monochrome said:
This was an okay episode. Imo it would have been better if they saved the thing with Winry's parents for another episode (like it was done in the manga). There was already enough going on and it just wasn't the right time. I'm still looking forward to the next episode and at least they didn't spoil


I thought the same, I don't think the Winry thing had enough impact, as well as the Maria leaving thing.

I didn't really like this episode as much as last weeks (but last weeks episode was amazing so..)

But I'm really looking forward to next weeks episode. Looking forward to RoyXRiza moments.

Glad they didn't spoil much from the preview too. God knows next week needs good impact.

I was also disappointed by the OST choices in the crucial moments.

Oh well, decent episode I guess.
 
Aug 3, 2009 3:41 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 4908
This was to be expected.
And Roy's still a pretty cool guy, burns stuff up and isn't afraid of anything xD
But cooler than him, Lieutenant Hawekeye, she's awesome! : D
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
 
Aug 3, 2009 3:51 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 1867
suigetsu00 said:
im glad they kept that too but they took out when barry knocks out falman lol


Yeah, I know D: Too bad. I lol'd hard at this xD

suigetsu00 said:

so glad they kept the ling/window scene too! lol epic ling

Couldn't agree more x3
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.


Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
 
Aug 3, 2009 3:58 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 654
Yet again I loved the episode XD

Most shocking thing for me has to be the reveal of the person behind the death of the Rockbell couple - how sad :(

I enjoyed the interactions and codenames between Mustang and everyone else, including Barry - I said it before and I'll say it again, I'm really loving this guy :3

Can't wait till next week again....god I hope Hawkeye won't die :(... (no spoilers please!)
 
Aug 3, 2009 4:01 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 4908
robbydesu said:
Yet again I loved the episode XD

Most shocking thing for me has to be the reveal of the person behind the death of the Rockbell couple - how sad :(

I enjoyed the interactions and codenames between Mustang and everyone else, including Barry - I said it before and I'll say it again, I'm really loving this guy :3

Can't wait till next week again....god I hope Hawkeye won't die :(... (no spoilers please!)

Hawkeye can't die! \o/ She's immortal! ..is what I'd like to say, but I really don't have any idea : D
Also, Barry wanted to chop his own body up xD He's bat-shit crazy allright : p
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
 
Aug 3, 2009 4:02 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 654
Oosran said:
robbydesu said:
Yet again I loved the episode XD

Most shocking thing for me has to be the reveal of the person behind the death of the Rockbell couple - how sad :(

I enjoyed the interactions and codenames between Mustang and everyone else, including Barry - I said it before and I'll say it again, I'm really loving this guy :3

Can't wait till next week again....god I hope Hawkeye won't die :(... (no spoilers please!)

Hawkeye can't die! o/ She's immortal! ..is what I'd like to say, but I really don't have any idea : D
Also, Barry wanted to chop his own body up xD He's bat-shit crazy allright : p
XD stalker much? I kid I kid
 
Aug 3, 2009 4:05 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 4908
robbydesu said:
Oosran said:
robbydesu said:
Yet again I loved the episode XD

Most shocking thing for me has to be the reveal of the person behind the death of the Rockbell couple - how sad :(

I enjoyed the interactions and codenames between Mustang and everyone else, including Barry - I said it before and I'll say it again, I'm really loving this guy :3

Can't wait till next week again....god I hope Hawkeye won't die :(... (no spoilers please!)

Hawkeye can't die! o/ She's immortal! ..is what I'd like to say, but I really don't have any idea : D
Also, Barry wanted to chop his own body up xD He's bat-shit crazy allright : p
XD stalker much? I kid I kid

xD I just happen to set all threads I post in to watching, which sends me a mail you know, and since I've got messenger up and running all the time, it's hard to miss you know : D
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
 
Top
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »