Forum Settings
Forums

Last anime you watched (UNFINISHED) >>> Thoughts

Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]
Post New Reply
Feb 11, 2010 12:51 PM

Desert Punk. It's another good Gonzo show. Nothing special - it falls into my '7/10; good without being brilliant at anything' zone - but it's been a very easy watch, thanks in no small part to a combination of the perverted humour and Funimation's ever so slightly twisted dub. Right from the get-go, starting with the Hulk lookalike raging over his mother being called a whore and telling clueless Punk that his mother isn't a whore, it's had some great lines.

Episode 11 is the best of the bunch so far; the episode where Punk tried to... 'win over' Junko. Thanks to Funimation, content that was already fairly amusing was made even more funny.

Junko: "Women use anything and everything as weapons."
Punk: "Yeah? Even Birth Control pills?"

I just love how Funi insert totally different dialogue and make it work. :D

Feb 11, 2010 5:14 PM

I'm halfway through the first season of Higurashi. It is AWESOME so far! I'm glad I didn't just get lolis killing each other, that would be boring but this is much more.

I'm also watching Figure 17, which is a nice relaxingly paced series that cares about character development more than its sci-fi aspects, which I think is a good thing except for me it doesn't exactly lend well to marathoning. I still like it, but I don't really want to marathon it is all, two eps in a row at most (and considering these are double length eps...)

Feb 12, 2010 2:28 PM

Post #1:
Had a looksee at the first Black Cat volume last night. Volumes 2-3 arrived yesterday, and it's a Gonzo title. Since I'm currently going through all the Gonzo anime I own on DVD...

With its title and DVD art, I expected something very kiddy. But Black Cat has had death and bounty hunting mixed in with Sven's money woes and the usual shounen character superpower stuff. It's also looked very nice; both in terms of the art and animation, which I didn't expect from a Gonzo title.

The characterization has been a little too... straight-forward so far. The lead is an emotionless killer who is set to become a more normal guy after a cute, talkative and slightly weird girl talked to him a lot. Eve - another main character - is going to change from a weapon; changing into a normal girl after seeing and experiencing what the world has to offer. Etc, etc. There's a lot I've seen before on the character front. But, on the plus side, Sven is a cool and funny guy, what with his 'chivalry' and all, and I think the different character types will bounce off each other well as the series progresses.

I give it an early 8/10.

Post #2: (Black Cat 5-12, Desert Punk 13-16)
Agreed (about Train being a poor lead). I thought he (Sven) was the main character at first, despite the title. He's certainly the most likable and cool character--he saves girls, fights against hunger and looks cool with his eye-patch. What's not to love? (It's too bad about the typically shallow explanation about his past, though...)

Train just hasn't been developed very well. There was plenty of room for him to develop from an empty shell, killing simply because he was told to kill, but it's more like he's jumped from being empty to being a full of life, constantly hungry, stereotypical shounen lead. He kind of bores me...

The fact he can no longer kill - not even to avenge the woman who was killed because of him - because killing is evil and good guys don't do that annoys me a fair bit. It's childish for good characters to only be allowed in extreme circumstances to kill evil characters. Life isn't black and white like that, and it only highlights the audience the show is aimed at. I'm no longer at an age where I'll accept such rubbish.

To start with, it had potential: there was death, a dark vibe and just the right amount of comedy was mixed in. But, once the setup was out of the way, it moved into the land of shounen absurdity, with the usual band overly colourful villains (a boy on a skateboard, a high school girl who breathes fire, etc), which lowered the quality. At this moment in time - halfway through - it's no more than a nice looking, enjoyable series; nothing truly special.

----

As for Desert Punk, the latest round of episodes on the fourth volume were ok. A two story arc about mercenaries protecting a shit transport can only be so enjoyable. I'm tempted to rate it 8/10 for the lulzy 11th episode, but the rest of the series - 'my mother ain't no whore' aside - has been very much 7/10 all the way.

Punk is an amusing guy, what with his tit obsession and all, but he's also a complete and utter prick. He only cares about himself. He works as a comedy lead, and I suppose that's good enough... but he's a hard guy to like, regardless of the genre.
Modified by AironicallyHuman, Feb 12, 2010 4:05 PM

Feb 12, 2010 4:03 PM

Tower of Druaga: Sword of Uruk (4/12): I think it is one of the most hilarious series I've ever watched with a cast of likeable and unique characters. I'm at the part where they've gotten to the mythical tower, and the ulterior motive of the antagonist has finally been revealed. I look forward to the end!

Feb 12, 2010 10:08 PM

Just watched Durarara!! episode 6. I'm loving this series more and more. The cast of characters are great together, the story is interesting, the animation is good, and the BGM is amazing. Can't wait for the next episode!

Feb 12, 2010 11:48 PM

Ghost hound ep 3, it looks really interesting though the plot is sorta slow paced. I've been looking forward to watch this show and now it's time to finally savor it. I just hope that later episodes won't disappoint me.
We are the United. Even in defeat we stand united.

Feb 12, 2010 11:54 PM

Peacemaker Kurogane- 11/24

So far, it's good in terms of enjoyment and humour. I'm hoping for more action and development though.

Feb 13, 2010 6:16 AM

just finished Kowarekake no Orgol, it's like the son of Index and chobits lol

and there isn't a Orgol page in the database, i can't add it >_>

Feb 18, 2010 12:00 AM

Blue gender, quite generic and predictable. I am giving it a 6 becuz it is pretty much entertaining, and the female lead is likable, I smell some badassery in her.
We are the United. Even in defeat we stand united.

Feb 18, 2010 8:16 AM

Code Geass R2 Ep 6 - Just like the first season, im roped in hook line and sinker. This is probably the best series of it's type. I wasnt sure at first on this one but by Ep 2 it all made sense to me again. Lelouch and Kallen ftw!!

Feb 18, 2010 8:16 AM

I just finished" Kanon" (2002). I really liked it, thought it was really sad, loved the ending. Just started watching the first episode of the 2006 version.

Also watching" Shugo Chara Party" episode 19 and waiting for the rest. I don't think this season is as good as the other two. It's sort of a disaipointment. I hope that "Shugo Chara Encore" is better.

Feb 20, 2010 7:41 AM
Just finished Sailor Moon 24/46.. I'm rewatching it after 15years!! Surprisingly, I cried while watching the episode. I kinda felt side that Nephrite died. Poor Naru.. It was such a depressing moment. At least Nephrite had some chance to be kind.

Feb 20, 2010 8:20 AM

The real reason people watch My-whatever.

My-Otome: 1-12

It's been pretty much as I expected: a My-HiME spin-off where lots of old characters play new roles, with some nice nods (ShizuruxNatsuki, Mai's brother, Akira's gender...) towards HiME. There's been a lot of silliness, a lot of close-but-not-close-enough lesbian activity, a tentacle raep monster, a character (Nina) who pretty much orgasms when touched, the usual Sunrise character drama and little to no solid plot details. At this stage, besides knowing the obvious, I have no clue what's going on, and I can't say I really give a toss when I have so many funbags in front of me.

I wasn't sold at first because of Arika's (the new-new, non-HiME lead) child-like actions and general stupidity. Where as it was easy to like and connect with Mai in HiME due to her involving love triangle and fairly realistic close relationship with her younger brother, Arika has simply ran around making noise and gotten herself involved in various lulz worthy activities. And she's more loli than fully-developed school girl, which means I can't masturbate with fury over her... and that's a major negative in my mind. BUT I was able to get into it once I saw more of mentally-strong Nina and Mai's main love interest from HiME (he plays the role of an older, more mature embassy worker). So far, there's been some decent secondary character development and poor main character development, though I am hopeful that'll change later on.

Even though HiME was always silly, Otome does take everything a bit too far. Supernatural warriors all wearing maid costumes, having to be virgins to keep their powers (leading to much girlxgirl and otaku love!) and there being anime-esque stores in existence to honour them, complete with all manner of Otome goodies; ranging from figures to costumes, is a bit too much. Since I'm a 'srs biz' guy, I preferred how HiME had more of a normal school setting with lots of craziness involved rather than lots of perverted craziness occurring on another planet... but, as luck would have it, I went into Otome just expecting a 7/10 at best My-HiME cash-in, and I've enjoyed it a lot as a result.

In short, it's another colourful, fan-service laden Sunrise title, and I'm sure lots of drama will follow the fun later on (together with a lot of deus ex machina bullshit). Up to yet, it's been a 7.5-8/10 title, though I'm sure I'll have to knock a point or two off once more than vague details start being thrown around and the cliched 'lost princess' story takes center stage...

The sort of people who truly appreciate S-CRY-ed.

S-CRY-ed: 1-12

As a much younger, even dumber anime fan, I downloaded and watched these episodes. I dropped it after laughing at a death scene where a character got shot(?), saved his friend as if he wasn't injured, had a conversation on his friends back and then randomly died in 'tragic' fashion. At that stage, I wasn't looking for unintentional comedy and quickly escaped.

After re-watching most of the episodes I had watched previously, I feel I was a tad harsh to have judged it so early, taking it so seriously, but it's very fair to say that S-CRY-ed is a dumb anime aimed at dumb people. All the series has going for it is simplistic, 'IF YOU KEEP FIGHTING, YOU CAN WIN; EVEN AGAINST A GUNDAM!!!111' battles, a tried & tested rivalry between a simpleton with no money and a posh, upper-class type and basic metaphors that remind me very much of Wild Arms 5.

Whenever there's a problem that needs to be overcome, there's a line or two about an imaginary wall that needs to be climbed/destroyed.
When a character randomly gets stronger after previously being owned, both parties involved comment on an imaginary switch being turned on.

And, of course, there's been a 'deep' comment or two about how blue the sky is and how close it appears. (I'm almost surprised a bird flying in the sky hasn't yet been used as a symbol for freedom!)

...But, in all honesty, S-CRY-ed IS a lot of fun; providing you're fine with your brain not being worked and a black guy with a pink afro having the special ability of writing his own scripts and making them into reality. There's a lot of variation between each persons' abilities (I was being serious about the Gundam!) and lots of punching; meaning it's good for passing time if you're a guy/look more like a guy than a girl. If it's a choice between being sat in front of an anime that wants to be deep, not making any sense and throwing in references here and there (Ergo Proxy) and S-CRY-ed, I'll take a a 6/10 aimed at the simple any day of the week.

Feb 20, 2010 12:18 PM

I re-watched some of gundam seed and realised how great the writing was in comparison to code geass =/

Feb 20, 2010 12:43 PM

Eureka Seven - Eps 19/50:
I'm currently loving this so much. I'm ashamed that I don't put more time into watching it, but currently the story is moving and it has certainly moved me. It has it's sad and happy times, sometimes can go repetitive, but it still holds my full attention.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2009 (Season 2) - Eps 5/14:
MAKE THE ENDLESS EIGHT END.

Azumanga Daioh - Eps 2/26:
I'm not even that far into it and I feel that the only good part about it is Osaka. She just makes me feel smart xD

Feb 20, 2010 5:24 PM

Yu-Yu-Hakusho
73/112

It's getting much better as it advances. The story is a bit overdone, but for mindless entertainign is great. But the art and the content, they are getting weirded and more adult. It seems the characters are growing up as well, and that's fun. :3
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori

Feb 21, 2010 5:59 AM

I'm up to 17 of both Otome and SCRYed.

Otome has tried a little too hard to be melodramatic. It's hard to take a love triangle involving an older/mature man, a 15-year-old whose mentally still a child and another 15-year-old seriously. Where as in HiME the triangle was genuinely moving, in Otome it's all been a little too forced; an attempt at making the upcoming battles more dramatic. Not bad, and it's served its purpose, but nowhere near as good as in the 'prequel'.

On the plus side, Otome has so far surpassed my expectations, despite the story so far being practically non-existent; the focus having been characters and comedy. That's about to change, but since the the previous My story was best when nothing was clear...

...As for SCRYed, little has changed since my last post. There's been a trademark anime/JRPG memory loss section/time-skip in order to get the series to meet the required episode length, and more wall metaphors. There's also been a 'supportive' conversation with a dead guy (time stopped, obviously!) that powered-up the lead in cliched fashion when he was about to die.

I'm done with the 16 episodes I watched years ago now, though I can't say I'm excited to have reached new content when it's just going to involve more Kazuma vs. Ryuho battles where the unlimited power released opens the door to... *GASP*... THE OTHER SIDE!!!!1111

Feb 21, 2010 6:23 AM

Gintama 120
by god this show is fantastic
Surrealist comedy is the best kind

Feb 21, 2010 6:45 AM

Finished Library War yesterday.
The story was somewhat messed up, but i kinda liked it.

But it was quite similar too FMP tbh!

Feb 21, 2010 6:48 AM
Almost finish Inuyasha >.< Gonna start kanketsuhen!!!

Feb 21, 2010 1:23 PM

Kobato.

My god, this anime is amazing. <3 It's so easy-going, and beautiful!

Mar 13, 2010 1:43 PM

Ef - A tale of melodies

Has the strong feeling as its predecessor but something tells me this one's going to be tragic.

Mar 13, 2010 1:50 PM

I felt that melodies was far more sad and dramatic than the memories and loved this one the most :)

I m actually watching and loving durarara at the moment i'm at episode 10 and it's really interesting how it turn out.

I also watch baka to test it's a lot of funny but it's not that great plot and too much echi in it:)

Mar 22, 2010 4:24 AM
klusty said:
I felt that melodies was far more sad and dramatic than the memories and loved this one the most :)
stop around episode 5 (melodies)...forgot what the reason.Maybe i will give a another chance when i have time

Mar 22, 2010 4:28 AM

Kimi ni Todoke 23

Exaggerated sparkles always present >_>

Mar 22, 2010 6:25 AM

Texhnolyze - It's so slow to get anything done.

And I knew this when I started the anime but damn. It's just soooos slow.

Mar 22, 2010 9:42 AM

Seen 17/24 of Chrono Crusade
It's keeping me interested and wanting to see more, I'll probably finish it before the week is out once I'm done writing my paper. Azmaria isn't half as annoying as I thought she'd be, she doesn't seem to cling as much as say Alvis did in Last Exile. Actually, in a lot of ways, this kinda reminds me of a much better Last Exile in which the characters are actually interesting and the story seems to be going somewhere instead of meandering around.

Seen 6/24 of Night Head Genesis
I do like the ideas of psychics, but I'm really not sure where this series is headed, it's kinda just...doing something psychic related but not really developing a story or much. I heard it's supposed to improve later on and these do have me somewhat interested

Seen 2/13 of Mouryou no Hako
Started watching it on a whim, first 2 eps weren't overly impressive, really hope it does something more with that head in the box we see at the start of the first ep.

Seen 3/5 of Higurashi Rei
What can I say? I wanted more Higurashi, dammit! And yes, I am enjoying this a lot too, even if the first episode did feel mostly tacked on, but now that it seems to be back to normal, I wanna see what happens next!

Mar 22, 2010 9:02 PM

Berserk.
8/25

So far, so good. I couldn't stop watching once I got started.

Aug 29, 2010 9:54 PM

Saraiya Goyou 10/12

I'm soon coming to the end of the series and I don't like that. I love the atmosphere, the music, the time period and the character. This episode left me with a lot of questions.

Dec 6, 2010 8:33 PM

(Breaking my own 'NO FIRST EP!' rule, 'cause I can't find the other thread...)

Rocket Girls 1-4

Aion likes this. Finally, all those hours spent hunting for R1 bargains on SS is paying off. I DON'T JUST BUY CHEAP CRAP; I BUY CHEAP GOOD, TOO! YAY!

In the first episode, a tribe dances as a 'firework' explodes in the sky for the sixth time... the firework being a rocket launch attempt gone wrong. An astronaut also attempted to escape from his daily torture by driving in an armoured van whilst a helicopter shot rockets at him.

In the second episode, the heroine found her dad... who'd became a tribal leader after, 17 years before, disappearing from his wife on their honeymoon. She also learned he had many wives, as well as a daughter - the heroine's little sister.

I know not why sending rockets into space without them blowing up is such a big deal, and it might be a lil' far-fetched for a high school girl to go on a crash course before going into space, alongside her tribal sister. But I don't care. It's something of a black comedy and, so far, hasn't been overly technical. And this it's certainly a unique way to get those school girls into my Japanese cartoons.

Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]