Forum Settings
Forums

Last anime you watched (UNFINISHED) >>> Thoughts

New
Jul 29, 2009 7:15 PM

Jun 2007
I made a thread for posting thoughts, along with a rating for completed series. That's worked well. But there's still a gap between the 'What have you started?' thread and 'What have you finished thread?' - there needs to be a middle thread or I'll go insane.

Just to clarify, DO NOT POST HERE FOR FOR FIRST OR LAST EPISODE REASONS. Use the other threads. And don't just type the title; read the thread title before posting and and post your thoughts. Your thoughts can consist of a sentence or ten paragraphs for all I care, but just make sure you post something... Please?

-----------

GTO: 5-15

The alterations to how events play out continues to piss me off.

Manga fans, remember when Tomoko started playing with her dolls on stage after Onizuka told her to be herself, getting an emotional reaction out of the entire crowd with her heart-felt story? In the anime, Onizuka stands up and throws her a phone with Miyabi's number on, and she gives a melodramatic speech about her friendship with Miyabi. They replaced one of the best parts of the manga for no good reason... It was also illogical because Onizuka first saw Tomoko's talent when she was playing in the sand with her toys.

Another annoyance is that Tomoko's nickname is Toroko instead of Slomoko in the anime... Why!? I don't even understand what Toroko means. Slomoko was funny, Toroko isn't.

There were other annoying changes just before the Tomoko arc, too. Examples? The scene involving the P.E teacher getting called out by mistake by Tomoko was replaced with a panty thief plot by Miyabi. And Onizuka never went to see Kunio's mom to talk about his grades; that was never mentionedwhen he visited her.

Thankfully, there weren't any major changes to the Teshi story, but it's still frustrating to think how SP have lowered the quality by constantly adding filler and making needless changes earlier.

Suzuka: 4-7

Suzuka is a sold but generic show. All of the character types have been seen before; there's the drunk female harem member, the bookworm harem member, the ladies man, the uptight harem member and the plain lead. There's zero originality, and Suzuka comes across as a bitch more often than not.

...still, I can't deny that I like the series. I'm a sucker for romance, and Suzuka was well made if nothing else. I can see me finishing it this week.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 29, 2009 10:30 PM

Sep 2008
Kare Kano - (21/26) the old animation (or lack of animation) really stands out after watching some newer animes, but overall it's been likable. I couldn't watch all of ep 19 though (what were they thinking?)... Should finish the series within the next few days, maybe.

Minami-ke - (6/13) so far it's been really funny. And that's all it's trying to be, so it's been good so far. The TV show the characters watch about Ninomiya-kun and Sensei always cracks me up.

Tenshi na Konamaiki - (23/50) it looks like an older show but it's not that old... the character expressions are really great though IMO. The characters are all endearing, and the voices for each of them are absolutely perfect. Some episodes feel like fluff but overall it's doing a good job building the relationships between the characters. Fun show.

Gakuen Alice - (16/26) I had it on hold for a while because of cuteness overload, I suppose. But it's fun, and I want to watch the rest.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 29, 2009 10:32 PM

Apr 2009
Minami-ke (1-4) - D'awwwww and it is hilarious.
Jul 29, 2009 10:40 PM

Mar 2009
Yoku Wakaru Gendai Mahou - Episode 4 - I love this show. Modern day magic users, quite entertaining.
Jul 29, 2009 11:44 PM

Apr 2009
chobits episode 5

i love clamp (a bit)
Jul 29, 2009 11:48 PM

Sep 2007
Sengoku Basara episode 3- still interested because of its general plot, not as manly as Gurren Lagann yet
Jul 30, 2009 12:36 AM

Jun 2009
Welcome to NHK 16/24

Not as great as I hoped it'll be. but enjoyable none the less. Not one that I'll download and watch at first chance I got, but only watch when I'm somewhat bored and really got nothing better to do.

Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS 9/26
Not as fast pace as it's preque (Nanoha A's) But the change in style is somewhat... different. (Can't say it's positive nor negative yet)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 30, 2009 2:05 AM

Mar 2009
Elfen Lied- 6/13
Pretty well paced, but there are changes from the manga. Overall, it's good but I don't think I'd watch it again
Jul 30, 2009 3:06 AM

Jun 2008
Welcome to the NHK 22/25

After the shenanigans that was ep 18, I'm glad to see the series is back on track, if you can call a snail's pace a track.. The pace remains infuriatingly slow, and the protagonist also remarkably stupid. The music and artwork or good, and there's the occasional jewel of a scene (end of Episode 21 <3) but frankly they're the only things carrying the show at the moment.
Peace through Superior Firepower!

formosan said:
Are you using some kind of advanced logic I don't know about? Have you decided to assign new meanings to English words? Are you just intentionally burning a straw man and knowing full well that you're changing the subject and misrepresenting a claim?
Jul 30, 2009 3:09 AM

Dec 2008
Black Lagoon episode 3. Pretty sweet. :[
Jul 30, 2009 3:15 AM

Jan 2008
Minami-ke - 10 and as for me it's getting better and better.

Phantom - 16 that's a real masterpiece and I can't wait for it to end (well it does sound a little odd but you get what I meant)

Needles - 4 surpisingly I enjoyed it pretty much, it's a bit like Scryed but for now I'd rank it higher.
Jul 30, 2009 3:19 AM

Dec 2007
Koutetsu Sangokushi - 18/25

I'm havin g trouble focusing in this. It's just so below average. The story seemed interesting, but is not well buildt. The character designs seemed nice, but they are just flat. There are only guys and that's supposed to be good (highly slashable) but they are all so annoying characters. The animation is dreadful. I'm sad about this one.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Jul 30, 2009 3:26 AM
Apr 2008
> Haruhi Suzumiya Season 2 (episode 4)
Jul 30, 2009 4:03 AM

Jan 2008
Monster 41/74

Ah, this show is great. Really shows the ugliness of humanity.
Jul 30, 2009 4:10 AM

Sep 2008
I just watched episode 4 of the second season of Gantz. Just as the first season its extremely annoying and it really pisses me of, and its freakin slow too, with practically no likeable characters. But its still enjoyable for some reason and it kinda makes watch the rest whether you want to or not.
Jul 30, 2009 4:14 AM

Jun 2009
Episode 18 of Lovely Complex.

I love the combination of humour and drama that is Lovely Complex. At times it feels like the comedy is being overused or placed in the wrong moments. Like, when it should be depressing, it's still funny? I'm not sure how to explain it. But, anyway that's the charm of Lovely Complex, I guess. It might go into my favourites list, depending on how it ends. I have high hopes for this absolutely hilarious anime!
Jul 30, 2009 10:47 AM

Feb 2009
Da Capo -- I'm on episode 5/26. I'm not in love with it. The art style is interesting, but the story seems to have to real movement. They put in the beginnings of a plot, but nothing happens. Weird things and people pop up every episode but then aren't mentioned again. I'm sticking with this right now, hoping that I'm still early into the anime and they're just setting things up because I'd like to get into the show but it's just not happening yet.

Lucky Star -- 17/24. I love this show it's great for a breather... No seriousness, great otaku jokes and just overall good brainless entertainment. <3
Jul 30, 2009 11:11 AM

Feb 2005
Gundam ep 40.
I must say, it did drop a bit after all this Newtype stuff got in. Would have been much better without that I'd say.
Jul 30, 2009 11:48 AM

Apr 2009
Kara no Kyoukai - 3/7

Some may take them as separate movies instead of a lone series that just happens to be shown on theaters, but I personally feel they'd be horrible if considered as such. The first movie can hardly be called a complete work, the second ends at a cliffhanger, and the third is the first one that could credibly be considered 'whole' by itself but without the characterization of the first two installments it's barely above average.

Taken as a whole, however, they're very enjoyable with high production values, beautiful animation, a consistent and effective visual design and excellent use of music. Plot-wise its a bit weak, overall, but given I'm not even halfway through it it's to be expected and it does show some promise for the future.
No problem is insoluble in all conceivable circumstances.
Jul 30, 2009 12:53 PM
Jul 2009
Welcome to the NHK! Episode 6

I thought a few parts of this anime were okay, namely the humor. The plot quickly turned into a shouji fanservice fest so that ruined it for me, maybe if there were some cute guys around I would've been able to stomach it but it just got too boring! It had some potential as a comedy I guess but this type isn't for me.

4.5/10 before dropping; I may pick it up again someday.
Jul 30, 2009 1:00 PM

Dec 2007
Do not drop it, the fanservice is irrelevant there (so much I did not even notice). The anime is great and quite deep in a sense.
Jul 30, 2009 1:20 PM

May 2008
NHK just isn't for everyone, I've met with negative opinions on numerous occasions.
But I don't know about fanservice, I certainly didn't notice any.

Oh yeah, I might as well post something on topic.

The last anime I've seen (re-watched actually) is Serial Experiments Lain.

I'm conflicted about it.

It's certainly interesting and it ponders some philosophical, existential, psychological issues. It's got eerie and mysterious feeling to it.

On the other hand, it lacks a straightforward storyline, does not have any meaningful conclusion, one could even call it a mindf*ck.

Overall, it's slow paced and can even get somewhat boring now and then. During first few episodes you don't know what's going on which can be annoying, the latter episodes carry more power. Episode 9 is freaky yet cool, and the most powerful event that happens on episodes 12 and 13 is just grand.

You need to watch it till the very end to get the idea what it's all about.

What's unusual is that I didn't feel the urge to watch one episode after another, I watched like 1 to 3 episodes a day. At the same time, I was getting back to it with pleasure and interest. Weird, like it was a small doses thing.
dichromaticJul 30, 2009 1:40 PM

Jul 30, 2009 2:04 PM

Sep 2007
Honey and Clover II - 8/12

Twelve episodes aren't going to be enough are they? I put off watching this for so long after the first season, and now I'm not sure why. At first I was mildly disappointed in this season, mostly for Yamada. I don't know. She was acting so meek and timid. It was like Hagu 2, and while I love Hagu and can tolerate her personality, it doesn't suit Yamada at all. I still loved the show, but something seemed lacking until episode seven. Episode seven was amazing, like it was signifying Honey and Clover's return to greatness.

What I love about this show is it gives that feeling I had when I first started watching anime. Nowadays when I watch anime I'll be in the middle of an episode and I'll be wondering, "I did send that check out right? And I need to buy milk...Annoying Roommate probably drank it all or left it to spoil." It's kind of depressing. But when I watch Honey and Clover it never occurs to me that I have to do anything else. I'm fine right where I am. Then when I'm done watching I'm inspired just a little bit to really get into this whole college thing. I swear Honey and Clover should be required viewing for all college students.
Jul 30, 2009 2:42 PM

Sep 2008
Platonic Chain: 2/10 I don't understand why people use CG if they aren't gonna bother to make it look acceptable. Unless your gonna trow alot of time and money into CG to actually make it look good don't. Half assed CG looks half assed and shitty just stop already. Japan is no where near as skilled with CG as America is.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Jul 30, 2009 10:26 PM

May 2009
Sailormoon, the one after the Super S. Wow! Talk about geriatric anime! It's charming in its own way, though and I get fairly tolerant of its faults because it was one of the breakthrough animes that a lot of the newer ones have improved upon. It gets kind of repetitive but after some intense (Ergo Proxy, GITS, SELain)anime watching, slipping an episode or even three of Sailormoon can be quite relaxing for me.

I think I still have a few more seasons to go...
Jul 30, 2009 11:11 PM

Dec 2007
I'm pretty sure that after Super S you only have Stars, which is the last season (it's my favourite anime but I place myself better with "who was the enemy" or "what was the episode you watched" than with seasons. Talk about a compressed childhood xD) Oh well, I'm glad people still watch Sailormoon, because it is <3
Jul 31, 2009 4:41 PM

Jun 2007
GTO: 20

It's been fairly fathiful to the manga after the Tomoko stage mess. The Urumi story wasn't changed a lot, which pleased me, her being my favourite GTO character. It did annoy me how Onizuka slapped Urumi (the original anime bastard...) and how Urumi's big secret got revealed to the other kids in the class like it was nothing. The corny anime only "You can still be friends with the teacher who betrayed you!" scene at the end of the Urumi arc, which replaced manga content, also pissed me off. But, to be fair, the anime had to try to tie up subplots early because it only covers 13 or 14 out of 25 volumes, and that's why a lot of the dumb changes were made by SP.

I did like episode 20 - one of the few episodes with changes to the source that worked out. The KunioxGiant Girl sub plot was ignored in the manga, so it pleased me to see the chapter get decent filler added. The scene at the end episode, with Kunio running after the bus of Giant Girl at complete random, was plain weird...but aside from that, it was a very good episode to watch.

Jyu-Oh-Sei: 6

A decent premise, let down by a rushed execution and poorly handled character development. Have you ever had a woman say she wanted you for her husband and declare ever lasting loyalty to you/the kitchen after seeing you fight? No? Didn't think so.

If there had been character development at the start, with time spent getting the viewers to like the cast and understand them better, it could've been great. Starting with the twins parents dead and the duo sent straight to the planet of exiles wasn't the best way to go.

Suzuka: 20

Before watching, I read a blog post that said Suzuka is an anime that rewards viewers who don't drop it after the first few episodes. Whoever created that blog was right on the money - my rating has jumped from 7-8/10 as I've watched it.

I've seen all of the character types before, it's very slow-paced and Suzuka - the woman the plain leads wants to give some lovin' to - is a bitch. But the romance and sporting aspects of the story blend well and, though lacking originality, the story is involving and well written. With me being a sucker for romance, paying £15 for the series was a good move.

It's obvious how the story is going to end, yet I find myself wanting to watch more. Totally different from in the case of Planetes, a series where I never got into the romance and the disjointed space rubbish collecting story only distracted me. In terms of genre mixing, Suzuka is better than Planetes.
Jul 31, 2009 5:34 PM
Feb 2008
Legend of the Galactic Heroes - 26
Though I've only just finished the first season, I am very, very impressed by this anime. The characters, writing and music are all awesome, and the older animation doesn't bug me at all (I like it, actually ^^;).
Jul 31, 2009 6:53 PM

May 2008
Umineko no Naku Koro ni - (5/?) wtf?
Aug 1, 2009 2:28 AM

May 2009
ladyxzeus said:
I'm pretty sure that after Super S you only have Stars, which is the last season (it's my favourite anime but I place myself better with "who was the enemy" or "what was the episode you watched" than with seasons. Talk about a compressed childhood xD) Oh well, I'm glad people still watch Sailormoon, because it is <3

Glad to hear that. I did rewatch the previous season because I hated the English dub. What a surprise that one was (original Japanese dub)! A different Jupiter/Uranus relations emerged. Talk about mangling not only the voices but the story too. I thought it was strange for them to act that way but speak (English) in another way. That's why I'm going for subs as much as possible these days.
Aug 1, 2009 11:35 AM

Jan 2009
Haruhi 2 ep8.
Aug 1, 2009 11:44 AM

Apr 2008
RahXephon: ep 20/26

I give it an 8/10 so far, though it could drop to a seven. So far it seems just like NGE, but without the gore and lacking action scenes that are anywhere near as entertaining to watch.

(yes, my rating basically only goes from 6-10/10 if I'm able to stand finishing a series; 10 = great, 9 = very good, 8 = good, 7 = acceptable, 6 = bad, 5= unwatchable).
Aug 1, 2009 12:57 PM

Jun 2008
Special A 4/24

I'd give it a 6.5/10. The characters weren't too bad but I hated how cliched things were. Completely predictable and such a corny romance that I became very uninterested in the relationship the main protagonists had, people promised me it'd be a nice romance but to be honest I thought it was pretty lame. I felt every or so often episode would be the same at the pace it was going, it wasn't a bad show but it wasn't something I could sit through 24 times.
Aug 2, 2009 2:09 PM

Jan 2009
I've watched a couple episodes of Shikabane Hime Kuro, but I think the first season was better so far. Maybe it will get better.
Aug 2, 2009 3:00 PM

Mar 2008
Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge ep 18 & 19

Funny as hell! X'D
Aug 3, 2009 12:45 PM
May 2009
I just finished watching episode 4 of Ouran High School Host Club and I think I'm going to drop it. I personally don't see why this show is so popular. It's not nearly as funny as reviews of it raved and it's pointless (and this is coming from someone whose very easily amused). This show is more boring than Fruits Basket. Fruits Basket was hard for me to complete but I don't even think I can sit through anymore of this show. And the incestual homosexual acting brothers is not something I can stomach either (I've watched shows with homosexuals but I can't stomach two brothers making sexual comments and gestures towards each other). I don't know what other people see in the show but it's definetely not for me.
Aug 3, 2009 8:21 PM

Sep 2008
Eternal_Moon said:
I just finished watching episode 4 of Ouran High School Host Club and I think I'm going to drop it. I personally don't see why this show is so popular. It's not nearly as funny as reviews of it raved and it's pointless (and this is coming from someone whose very easily amused). This show is more boring than Fruits Basket.

Comedies are difficult to review, because you'll either find the jokes funny or you won't. For example, Azumanga Daioh is a good example because you'll either laugh at how Sakaki is petting a dog for an entire minute, or you'll just be wondering what the crap this show is and what makes it any good. OHSHC relies a lot on parody of shoujo tropes. If you didn't like the first few episodes, you probably won't like the rest of the show, though I feel it does branch out of its running gags as it progresses, the twins being a good example of this.
Fruits Basket IMO seems to be more about a cute character-based story rather than a comedy, but I've only seen a handful of episodes of it so far.

corbenic said:

The last anime I've seen (re-watched actually) is Serial Experiments Lain.

I'm conflicted about it.

Lain is such a weird show. On one hand I find it ingenious, but on the other hand it's not exactly an exciting show to watch. I'm mildly amazed the show got made at all - but I'm glad it did because looking back at it... it's just executed so well. The main purpose for rewatching it though (IMO) isn't exactly to enjoy it - it's more to try to figure more things out about it. Interesting stuff though.
Aug 4, 2009 4:20 AM

Mar 2009
Shakugan no Shana. Watched about 7 eps I think.

It's really horrible. I hate it. Worst anime I've ever watched. Annoying characters, overrated and I definitely wouldn't rewatch it. The story progress bored me and the characters started being annoying especially when two of them Shana and Yoshida began fighting for Yuji's attention.
Aug 7, 2009 12:58 PM

Sep 2007
Eternal_Moon said:
I just finished watching episode 4 of Ouran High School Host Club and I think I'm going to drop it. I personally don't see why this show is so popular. It's not nearly as funny as reviews of it raved and it's pointless (and this is coming from someone whose very easily amused). This show is more boring than Fruits Basket. Fruits Basket was hard for me to complete but I don't even think I can sit through anymore of this show. And the incestual homosexual acting brothers is not something I can stomach either (I've watched shows with homosexuals but I can't stomach two brothers making sexual comments and gestures towards each other). I don't know what other people see in the show but it's definetely not for me.

I'm willing to wager those shows just aren't for you. Fair enough. xD Maybe try Honey and Clover, which is a more serious shoujo, but it has its fair share of comedy in the first season. Also Lovely Complex, which has better humor then Ouran, though it's kind of a hit or miss. More on topic now...

Slayers 15/26

Why didn't I watch this show earlier? What's wrong with me? This is such a fun show and it has fairly good action to boot considering. I miss Zel horribly though. If he doesn't come back in the next few episodes I will declare shenanigans.
Aug 7, 2009 1:38 PM

Apr 2009
Endless Eight: Finally it's over..

Spice and Wolf II: Amarti sucks ass :)
Lawrence.. you better kick his ass next episode ;<
Needs moa Holo
Aug 7, 2009 1:56 PM

Aug 2007
Valkria Chronicles 18/26

It was a sad and touching episode. I shed tears.
Aug 7, 2009 3:43 PM

Jun 2009
Gungrave ep 7

Harry and Brandon's rise in the Millenion organization is very interesting, I've always been a fan of Crime Drama so this is a series pretty much made for me. Also, the fact that Maria is considered "untouchable" means that Brandon has decided to work for the organization and, in extension, protect her.

The one thing that irks me, in particular during the earlier episodes, is Brandon's silence. It seems to have lifted to a degree in this last episode. But, it's somewhat hard to understand the depth of his relationships with Maria, Harry, and Big Daddy, when most of the conversations are extremetly one sided.

Still, it's a very good show.

Death Note ep. 4

I must say that coming into this show I was expecting a massive dissapointment. But, so far, it is anything but. Intense, would probably be the word I would use to define this Anime. The first episode was a fantastic open to the series, the second was even better with the introduction of L.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 10, 2009 1:26 AM

Jun 2009
Death Note ep. 17

The first 13 episodes were fantastic, but recent episodes have not been quite as good. The driving force for my enjoyment of this show has been the cat and mouse game between L and Light, but recently it is heavily hinted that this may not be the case any more.

Of course, I could be, and probably am, wrong. Actually, Misa is not quite as annoying as some people have told me. It's just that recent plot developments seem sort of...random.

Still, it is a very enjoyable show. I give it an 8/10, so far.

ef-A tale of memories ep. 4

So far, this series has impressed me. I love the art style, though I can definitely see it as a turn-off for some viewers. But, to me, it fits the show like a glove.

The characters, in particular: Miyako, Hirono. and Chihiro, are really likable.

So far, a 9/10.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 10, 2009 3:10 PM

May 2008
Dai-Guard 17/26

This series would have to massively fuck up in the course of the final nine episodes to lose a 5/5 rating from me. The only real complaint I've had with it is the poor art/animation quality, but other than that it has almost always succeeded at what it has set out to do. The monster of the week mecha battles always connect well with the episode focus and the overall plot takes plenty of stabs at the Japanese bureaucracy in a way that is easy for anyone who isn't exactly high on the corporate food chain to relate to. The characters could still use a little more fleshing out, but are lovable and amusing as a group of PR workers turned super robot pilots/crew. It does lack a bit in the writing department as it is far from intricately written, but at the same time the show works well enough with generalized ideas that making it more detailed would most likely bog it down rather than improve it. Awesome stuff all in all.
Aug 10, 2009 4:20 PM

Aug 2007
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood 19 - best episode I've watched of the series so far.
Aug 10, 2009 6:53 PM

May 2008
Sora no Manimani 4 - I'm still undecided on this one.
Aug 10, 2009 8:08 PM

Nov 2008
Darker than black episode 23, I have almost wanted to drop this series at episode 16 and thank god I didn't lol, this anime series is simply amazing.
Aug 11, 2009 12:29 AM
May 2008
Finally started Cowboy Bebop, episode 1, and I have to say, it certainly lived up to my expectations, especially after my friend kept raving about it, so it was a genuinely welcomed surprise. It's a bit dated but I think that adds to its appeal too.
PhanimaAug 11, 2009 12:42 AM
Aug 11, 2009 12:36 AM

Oct 2008
Code geass episode 16, suzaku stopping that pendulum bomb was awesome!
Aug 11, 2009 1:58 AM

Dec 2008
Bleach episode 183(I lost the joy for watching animes cuz of Bleach fills T_T I used to watch 20-30 episode with joy now I can't even finish 1 episode in one day

Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers?

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 hours ago

22 by Nirinbo »»
2 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - 3 hours ago

21 by Rinenka »»
2 minutes ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - Apr 22

43 by Ex-Aid »»
4 minutes ago

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - 11 hours ago

25 by epidemia78 »»
6 minutes ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

983 by SebasL21 »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.