3It was OK
12.0%
2Disliked it
4.7%
1Hated it
0.7%
Average 4.3
150 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 27, 2009 8:11 AM

Mar 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
*shakes head*
He did not inspire the guerrillas, the guerrillas just responded to a win-win situation.

Shiro needs to do more than that before he convinces me. xD
Mar 2, 2010 9:37 AM

May 2009
Same here, I'm still not fully convinced. At least he managed to persuade the guerillas to let him go. He also came up with that bold tactic and he does have some decent skills when it comes to controlling the Gundam.
Feb 1, 2011 5:02 AM
Jul 2010
How the hell is shiro the commander of 08th squad? He can pilot a gundam but he has zero commanding ability.

Ep 2 he tries to go off gunho solo instead of bringing another gundam along behind to watch his back, You don't exactly go off on a 1 man army in a squad. Then he expects people to leave him alone because he says he 'doesn't have time to mess around with them' Just say your feckin situation fool...
Mar 7, 2011 8:48 AM

May 2008
I hope the story will progress much more and Shiro'll prove that he deserves to be the commander because I still doubt about it.
I found Kiki quite annyoing~
Jun 15, 2011 10:26 PM
Jul 2010
Once again Shiro manages a good result by accident and coincidence. The paperwork will say he liberated a village, push back the enemy, and improved relations with the natives.

He did mess up bad opening the Gundam hatch. That action instantly reduces his combat potential from devastating mobile tank to incompetent foot soldier. Lucky there was a jungle princess to help. I hope the guerrillas don't become regular allies just for that.
Aug 11, 2011 1:49 PM
Jul 2018
As always, luck seems to be the deciding factor behind Shiro's success. Not because he goes into hopeless missions, but because he's just stupid. I'm not impressed that he got away from the guerrilas with some loli pimp skills, either. At least he's showing some mecha battle skills.

Also, why the hell did he let the guerrilas loot from his own team? I thought the deal was the enemy spoils, but it looked like they were taking the 8th unit's stuff there. I wonder if he would just sit there with that dumb look if they went for his MS also.
Apr 13, 2012 8:49 PM

Feb 2012
Bidaum said:
How the hell is shiro the commander of 08th squad? He can pilot a gundam but he has zero commanding ability.

Ideally, a government will spend a couple years in training a person to become an officer. It takes some time to learn how to lead, but what is happening in the show looks like what happened to the US in the Vietnam War. Becoming an officer would only require around 8 more weeks of training so those people had to learn how to lead on the battlefield which is the worst place to try to do that. It looks like Shiro is getting better; all he needs is more experience.

Luthimal said:
He did mess up bad opening the Gundam hatch. That action instantly reduces his combat potential from devastating mobile tank to incompetent foot soldier. Lucky there was a jungle princess to help. I hope the guerrillas don't become regular allies just for that.

That was an incredibly stupid move but at least he learned his lesson and should hopefully be more careful of traps later.

atomusku said:
As always, luck seems to be the deciding factor behind Shiro's success. Not because he goes into hopeless missions, but because he's just stupid. I'm not impressed that he got away from the guerrilas with some loli pimp skills, either. At least he's showing some mecha battle skills.

Also, why the hell did he let the guerrilas loot from his own team? I thought the deal was the enemy spoils, but it looked like they were taking the 8th unit's stuff there. I wonder if he would just sit there with that dumb look if they went for his MS also.

Even Carl Von Clausewitz understood that luck played its role in war. You shouldn’t base your entire strategy on being lucky but ever military operation requires some luck for success.

It did look like the guerrillas overstepped the terms of the deal but that material is a small price to pay to gain the friendship of the local population.
Jul 3, 2012 9:31 PM

Jun 2012
Shiro needs some command work, but the battle in the episode was great.
Row Row Fight The Power!
Apr 10, 2014 1:27 PM

Mar 2013
The battle was awesome but Shiro needs to prove himself. I just don't see him cut out to be commander.
Aug 15, 2014 6:39 AM

Apr 2013
Guerrilla tactics ftw.
Jun 4, 2015 12:42 AM

Jul 2009
Amazing episode!

I really love the ground to earth guerrilla warfare. At times it actually reminded me of Full Metal Panic, especially how Sagara and his team were in a mission in a middle of the jungle.

Kiki eh? Her Seiyuu sounds like Hayashibara, Megumi.

Love it! Can't wait for more episodes!
Mar 24, 2016 3:23 AM

Dec 2015
One quarter of the show is behind me and the team leader still wins through luck (today: the guerillero) and situational convenience only... at least he came out with the plan (only to mess it incredibly stupidly).
The new girl character is... annoying. I take that she will be the equivalent of the three brats from 0079 in this show. If so, please be as discreet as they were (but I think it won't go that way)

The style of warfare is interesting, espexially thanks to the lack of portative beam weapons (the ones first produced for the RX-78 in MSG), but the amount of MS in the heroes squad lowers any possible thrill and the interest of this kind of war.
+ I can't get rid of my previous problem: too many Gundam (=prototypes) if you know the global situation at this time and a GM who should not be released until Jaburo's battle weeks later.

3/5
Rei_IIIMar 24, 2016 3:30 AM
Apr 7, 2016 9:10 PM

Jun 2013
Favorite episode so far, hope we get more of Aina next episode though.
Jun 24, 2016 4:38 PM

Oct 2014
I'm generally pretty happy with any episode based around strategy. The ticking clock was good and Shiro made some good arguments when he got captured. Still not my favorite character but hes getting better

and how could anyone forget...
noGiAnimeJun 24, 2016 9:53 PM
Jul 25, 2016 6:35 AM

May 2012
That underwater fight was totally intense, just as this whole episode! Really great action! Let's see what happens next!
Oct 23, 2016 1:15 PM

Feb 2009
I want to see when he gets into contact with the Zeon girl pilot again. That should be interesting.
Jun 8, 2017 2:04 AM

Jul 2008
I think Karen should be the commander personally.

But hey it managed to work out.
Oct 12, 2017 1:44 AM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
Amada is not a good commander for sure, if the guerillas were working for Zeon, he'd be long dead. He's too average a guy.
張大です for 張大勇督察
May 6, 2019 4:59 PM
Aug 2018
Knock knock.
Who's there?
Your not so friendly but then again friendly neighbourhood guerilla.

Did that grunt even absolve any basic military training? He acts like an idiot.
Apr 7, 2020 5:10 PM

Aug 2017
This episode was fun, probably the best out of all 3 so far (well, I enjoyed it more than the previous one for sure). I do appreciate guerilla warfare as a concept, and I actually find Kiki a great addition to the cast, not annoying at all, let alone on the level of the trio from MSG 0079. I also noticed how I like the seiyuus, it's just a pleasure to look up some voice actors and actresses and discover the amount of series you like that they acted in. Karen is sure my favourite, I enjoy her voice a lot. It's quite rough, but that's the crux. Reminded me of Janis Joplin and Inga Rumpf, both of whom I absolutely love. That's a weird association, I know! But Mami Koyama also played Jessica Edwards in LOGH, impossible not to appreciate at least that :P
Out of Shiro's team, I also enjoy Eledore, he's an entertaining fellow. Others - not so much, they still need to shine somehow.

The whole setting just really looks "inspired" by the Vietnam war. I'm waiting for Shiro's reunion with Aina. And I guess I'm softening up to his design.
St0rmbladeApr 7, 2020 5:18 PM
Sep 29, 2020 3:06 PM

Nov 2019
yep. i'm enjoying this
i wanna see where this series goes.......
Mar 26, 2021 3:34 PM

Sep 2017
Man so far it's so lighthearted, this isn't the realistic horrors of war, Vietnam inspired anime that was promised to me :/
Jul 16, 2021 9:15 AM

Jun 2014
The guerrillas are rough, but it worked out well for Shiro in the end.

Oct 24, 2021 3:33 AM

Aug 2017
Shiro managed to persuade the guerillas to let him go but I think Zeon girl pilot should return, the plot is more interesting with her.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jun 5, 2022 1:56 PM

Nov 2016
Shiro got the guerillas to work with the fed. Yeah, let's say it like that and ignore that he was captured. Same goes for Kiki having a crush on him(whether she's realizing it or not) which probably helped too.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 9, 2022 8:39 AM
May 2021
oh hell nah shiro's a nonce, I hope the series gets better but so far I'm not really enjoying it that much
Oct 25, 2022 12:27 PM

Feb 2012
Currently available legally on GundamInfo

Shiro managed to get the guerrillas to fight with the feds. Loved seeing the people on their own feet going up against Zakus, they got guts.
Fortress_MaximusOct 25, 2022 4:20 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jan 4, 2023 12:56 PM

Jan 2008
3 episodes in and I have no idea what this show is even about. Where's the narrative momentum? What's the point of it all? What's the character arc supposed to be? The protagonist barely has any desires, goals, or inner life. Why is everyone using Gundams in a jungle? What's so important about this tiny corner of the world that warrants so much attention, or the viewers attention for that matter? What's the geopolitical situation of this universe? What is even happening? Gundam War in the Pocket was far superior when it came to crafting an intimate story. 

Toshihiro Kawamoto's character designs are the only thing remotely interesting for me right now. :|
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Aug 5, 2023 5:03 AM

Jul 2017
i don't know why people seem so pissed off by this anime, i'm liking it a lot.
the underwater fight was awesome.
''Touch the darkness inside me''
Nov 13, 2023 6:13 PM

May 2019
Lots of action in this one. Seems like the team are warming up to each other.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team Episode 2 Discussion

Arcanus - Jul 27, 2009

39 by JION43 »»
Mar 29, 1:20 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

naikou - Feb 6, 2009

51 by CrillSnort »»
Mar 21, 6:16 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Arcanus - Jul 27, 2009

102 by LotteGiants »»
Mar 11, 10:39 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team Episode 6 Discussion

Arcanus - Jul 27, 2009

49 by VioletOlya »»
Nov 26, 2023 12:05 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arcanus - Jul 27, 2009

57 by skatensleep »»
Nov 14, 2023 12:39 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.