Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 26, 2009 1:25 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Average episode. Again, Erin is emo for the death of Jone. Slow progression but necessary for the progression of the story.... Erin finally called Jone "father" as he is like a father to her (recall her real father died too young)

But, unlike most series who over-dramatize death, Jone's death was handled in the most subtle way by a letter (we don't even get to see his final moments...)....

Next episode:

Erin gets injured.... by Lilan?? Hope not...
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Aug 14, 2009 8:43 AM

Mar 2008
Lol If the person who saved me from death. Raised me as his own child died. I also would go emo o_o.
But I would find my way back...

Tears where shed. Loved the episode.
Aug 14, 2009 10:32 AM

Feb 2008
that was nice. i dunno why they had to kill him though. maybe that has some significance later. next ep she gets injured by lilan.
Aug 14, 2009 4:39 PM

Apr 2008
I don't really understand the point of killing off Jone. I don't really see the point of it as far as character or plot development are concerned. Perhaps the reason will come clear later on but for now it seems rather pointless.
Aug 14, 2009 5:50 PM

Feb 2009
That was a moving episode. The preview was a terrible teaser.
Aug 14, 2009 9:48 PM

Aug 2008
@Quanta
Erin is going to need to feel like she has nowhere left to go. I'm going to guess that she'll be removed from school pretty soon

I don't know...this combined with the last episode was just weird. Ultimately I think they did an ok job, but it just felt like one thing after another.

On another note:
Tomura is desperate for Erin's attention. I feel badly for him.
Aug 16, 2009 12:12 AM

Jan 2008
N_Ox said:
That was a moving episode. The preview was a terrible teaser.
Argh, I shouldn't watch the teasers any more.
Aug 16, 2009 2:49 AM

Jun 2007
noteDhero said:
@Quanta
Erin is going to need to feel like she has nowhere left to go. I'm going to guess that she'll be removed from school pretty soon.

Ya I think the next few episodes are going to start that part of the story. After all she cant stay there forever :).

I'm actually more interested in seeing if she can get lilan to fly so she can ride him :P.
Aug 16, 2009 10:01 AM

Aug 2007
A bit less episode, once again. Next one seems better. I'm worried about the next episode... Perhaps a warning of Lilan to Erin that she should snap out of it.
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Aug 16, 2009 10:04 AM

Aug 2008
I think that's what it's going to be. Maybe an inspection or something, and they due to the pressure, and Erin's need to escape, Lilan flies.
Aug 16, 2009 2:13 PM
Dec 2007
One of the most original and clever death episode I've seen in a while. Very emotional and well directed, it was perfect for what it wanted to convey. Waiting for next episode, which seems extremely important for the plot once again.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Aug 20, 2009 6:42 AM

Oct 2008
nice episode. very depressing, but i liked how simply joan's death was conveyed.
Oct 24, 2009 5:43 PM

Feb 2009
I think that Jone would have live longer if Erin was still living with him.
Feb 25, 2010 12:17 PM

Jul 2008
Jacut said:
One of the most original and clever death episode I've seen in a while. Very emotional and well directed, it was perfect for what it wanted to convey.

Absolutely.

The subtlety of it all had more of an impact and it made me bawl like crazy. ;_;
Jul 11, 2011 10:20 AM

Jun 2010
Those two idiots have never been more obnoxious or more out-of-place then when they were mugging and yelling after Erin found out Jone died.
Sep 5, 2011 6:50 AM

Sep 2008
Is Lilan a boy? The fansubs on the episode I watched referred to Lilan as "he"... although all this time I thought Lilan was a girl. o_o Maybe it's not important, but I was just wondering, in case Lilan ever grows up and (if Lilan were a girl) gives birth to its own little baby oujuu.

Ahem. Anyway. I loved this episode. I liked it quite a bit more than the last one... which makes me seem kind of mean. I didn't want Jone to die, and I don't really see either why they "had" to kill him off, but I'm sure it's significant in some way, as others have said...

Fronzel said:
Those two idiots have never been more obnoxious or more out-of-place then when they were mugging and yelling after Erin found out Jone died.

I couldn't believe how insensitive they were being... After they bawled like morons in the hallway, they started arguing over who had carried the books to her room. Seriously, you morons? Does it matter who carried the freaking books? Right after someone who was extremely important to their friend - and should have been remotely important to THEM since they spent some years with Jone, too - has died?

Anyway...
KanjouSpectrum said:
Jacut said:
One of the most original and clever death episode I've seen in a while. Very emotional and well directed, it was perfect for what it wanted to convey.

Absolutely.

I third that!
Jun 6, 2012 10:07 PM

May 2010
I WANT THE FART JOKES TO COME BACK!!! I TAKE BACK WHAT I SAID I AM SORRY.

Poor Tomura, he's luck suck..

I grabbed a spoon of honey while watching this episode.

His death meant more than Soyon IMO
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Aug 10, 2012 2:08 PM

Apr 2011
Confucius said:
I WANT THE FART JOKES TO COME BACK!!! I TAKE BACK WHAT I SAID I AM SORRY.

Poor Tomura, he's luck suck..

I grabbed a spoon of honey while watching this episode.

HAHA, NOW YOUR WANT THE FART JOKES BACK? lol
Aug 7, 2013 10:01 PM

Nov 2011
Oh God my heart and tears...sad episode. I'm sure Erin is going through a lot right now as well ;____;
Oct 18, 2013 1:53 AM
Aug 2011
oh man...Jone :/
Confucius said:

Same here.

On the other hand, I liked it when Lilan bit the head off the wood carving. So amusing.
Dec 18, 2013 6:29 PM

Nov 2013
Ah, Jone. You will be missed.

Also, I'm glad that the two dudes left Erin alone after carrying her books instead of trying to comfort her. That would have been painful to watch.
Mar 24, 2014 10:39 AM

May 2012
Dramatic yet nice episode, really sad but still good development of the story! His death sure was sudden though.
Jun 23, 2014 5:40 AM

Aug 2013
John :(
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Sep 3, 2014 5:10 PM

Dec 2010
RIP Jone. Your farts will be missed.
Oct 16, 2014 1:48 AM

Nov 2009
T_T Why?!?!? Why do they want to make me cry!? Dammit, not only do we never get to see him again, but it turns out he dies. I was hoping for so much more!!! Well, it does seem like Erin was able to bounce back, but seriously, if Lilan dies too I'm going to rage quit here.
Jan 8, 2015 2:54 PM

Sep 2013
I knew the fart guy died when Erin encountered him in dream in previous ep....
Jun 18, 2015 6:42 PM

Jul 2008
Damn, that sucked. The son's crappy note....just made me sad.
Mar 29, 2016 9:37 PM
May 2010
Really sad episode but... I have to admit, I laughed when Lilan bit off the head from the sculpture.
Nov 16, 2016 10:43 PM

Jul 2009
Jone's death kinda feels...anticlimactic lol. I guess once you've seen the cruel fate of Soyon, you begin to expect that everyone will die in a similar way xD Nevertheless a nice episode with strong emotional impact.
Aug 21, 2018 5:40 AM

Sep 2011
To think that goodbye would be their last, Jone is truly gone...

The only solace is that this time Erin didn't have to go through grief alone, she had Esal, who also lost him, to share her grief, and warm memories with. No, really, I'm so glad Esal is a good lady and that she was there for Erin, and I guess Erin being there for her really helped her too. His son is still a jerk, but I'm impressed he still brought himself to deliver the news, and honored his father's wish and sent those books, they are precious memories of the days Erin spent together with Jone, the one that was like a father to her, after all.

Tomura is also being really cute and likeable, I don't know about Erin, but I'm falling for him. lol I mean, that gift was really cute, a pity Lilan bit it, and he was really worried about her too! But my heart is still supporting Ial, even though it might not happen. And that preview... we're in for another hard episode, aren't we?
Dec 11, 2018 9:55 PM

Jul 2013
Hmm I wonder what this episode will be about...

DEATH OF JONE

Okay...
May 26, 2019 5:57 AM

Oct 2012
That's just sad
Did he really die though?
I mean this isn't anime that would lie to you in order to make the plot interesting

I guess the previous episode was really a foreshadowing
I still kinda didn't believe it though
"Signature removed"
Jul 11, 2019 8:11 PM
Jul 2018
A stark contrast compared to Soyon's death. That one was action-packed and bombastic to show Erin starting an entirely new life while this one was soft-spoken and used restraint. Still, this manages to be even stronger than Soyon's death imo. I wish Jone didn't die so soon but I'm interested to see how this will affect Erin's character in the future.

It was nice to see Esal-sensei show a softer side and open up to Erin.

Those two guys pissed me off for the first time in this series. That part when they were acting obnoxious and insensitive in front of Erin would be worse than if I watched that filler episode 3 times consecutively.

Not all that a fan of Tomura. He kinda seems like a useless character. Maybe they'll set up a relationship between Erin and him in the future? Still, she's totally out of his league.
Nov 8, 2019 6:43 AM

Oct 2015
Rip to Jone the honey man, you'll forever be missed.

Erin and Esal reminiscing about him was heartwarming and emotional, damn, I love those two women.

When Erin thanked Jone, my heart jumped a bit.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Apr 17, 2020 7:03 PM

Feb 2014
FIRST HER DAD THEN HER MOM NOW JONE THIS POOR GIRL WHY DO ALL HER PARENTS HAVE TO DIE HOW MUCH TRAUMA DOES ERIN HAVE TO GO THROUGH D''':
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 6, 2020 1:07 PM

May 2019
She missed the last moments of both her DAD's, this is so terrible.

The first because she was too young, and Jone because she cared so much about her pet at the point that NEVER had WRITE A LETTER to him, and finally giving up of paying him a visit in summer vacations, moment when kids come back to... their families.

Die of remorse, Erin, you did something terrible with Jone-san.
Feb 9, 2021 9:28 AM

Feb 2020
No, not Jone... Not gonna lie, I got a little teary-eyed. I really didn't want him to die. Rip great man.
And I wonder if he always had his illness. Did he know he would never see Erin again, and did he want her to keep study without coming back because he knew what was ahead and he didn't want her to see him in a deteriorated state ? It sounds like him but I'd rather not think about that.
I also feel so bad for Erin, but at least she had Esal to help her grieve and get better. (Speaking of Esal, I'm concerned about her since any adult who takes care of Erin seems to be doomed).
But I'm really worried about her since she really doesn't seem to take care of her own mental health. In the end it's always someone else who does it for her. She's clearly not able to take care of herself for multiple reasons and that's concerning, even more so since it leads her to take the wrong decisions such as not going to see Jone (but I don't blame her for not having been there in his last moments, she couldn't know what was about to happen).
FafetteFeb 9, 2021 9:33 AM
Feb 27, 2022 7:35 PM

Jan 2010
Soyon and Jone both sailing off in Erin's dream last episode makes sense now. Oh, I see.

Still, I mentioned it offhand prior, but Erin's really on her third parental figure. It just seems like everybody wants to care and protect Erin at this point.
ShockedFeb 27, 2022 8:02 PM
Nov 1, 2022 4:24 AM

Dec 2018
I actually joking while watching the previous episode that Jone died because of Erin's dream. I didn't think they going to kill him right away on the next episode. as Shocked said it makes sense that he was also sailing off in the last ep
Jul 20, 2023 1:35 PM

Jan 2021
John’s death was certainly a surprising development, and I have to give the series big props for killing off a character that had such influence on Erin and the narrative in such an understated and realistic manner. We didn’t get any final moments with him —although the dream episode could be said to exist in lieu of that— and potential health complications weren’t brought up, so the abrupt and unexpected news is as sobering as it should.
I was also intensely curious as to what sort of role John might play once the political plot brewing in the background came to a head —since most of the recurring characters to appear so far seem like they’ll eventually play some sort of role then, but now I don’t have to worry about that.
Erin’s now lost her other parent, but her processing of Jone’s death and the ways it affects her are markedly distinct, which is warranted by the circumstances but also nicely emphasizes the fact that as guardians Soyon and Jone where markedly different. It would have been easy for the writers to have this experience be a repeat of what we’ve already witnessed, but to make it as distinct as it is certainly improves upon the show.
This episode certainly endeared me to Esal even further as well. Her efforts to help Erin grieve were quite touching, and I really enjoyed the memories of John she shared with her.
Jul 25, 2023 6:09 PM

Apr 2019
Impossible for anyone to say that this anime was no clearly inspired by WMT, specifically Alps no Shoujo Heidi.
And this episode reminded me a lot of Flanders no Inu, the best anime ever. I almost cried.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kemono no Souja Erin Episode 36 Discussion

wakka9ca - Sep 20, 2009

26 by Rob7 »»
Nov 15, 2023 4:58 PM

Poll: » Kemono no Souja Erin Episode 42 Discussion

DeathfireD - Nov 1, 2009

31 by CalmTeaTime »»
Oct 23, 2023 2:05 PM

Poll: » Kemono no Souja Erin Episode 41 Discussion

wakka9ca - Oct 25, 2009

37 by CalmTeaTime »»
Oct 23, 2023 2:03 PM

Poll: » Kemono no Souja Erin Episode 40 Discussion

wakka9ca - Oct 17, 2009

39 by CalmTeaTime »»
Oct 21, 2023 3:27 PM

Poll: » Kemono no Souja Erin Episode 39 Discussion

Ahohime - Oct 11, 2009

40 by CalmTeaTime »»
Oct 21, 2023 3:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.