Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 17 Discussion


Jul 27, 2009 10:24 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 23708
hobbitten247 said:
Someone above mentioned that they wish this FMA Brotherhood series would have the quality of the original series...and I agree. This is what kinda tears FMA fans apart from the series. The original has a load of emotional content and character development that the manga never had. The manga and the new series as well contains a plot line that the original never had. Either way, I think its safe to say that the original FMA series is a more character driven storyline, the story is driven by specific character actions, and the newer series Brotherhood, is driven by plot.


Then go watch the "original"(which is not original, original being manga) and drift in its emo-oceans.

And if by character-driven you mean that Mizushima hates women and creates rabbit-chimeras then of course ^_^
 
Jul 27, 2009 10:48 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 3911
Wow, Roy is a jerk. I don't know, but it seems like he's planning something.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
 
Jul 27, 2009 11:03 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 4367
I think the lack of people's ability to see what happened in this episode is proof of how poorly executed the characters (supporting at least) are.
 
Jul 27, 2009 11:36 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 4064
cyruz said:
Lol, you don't know what belongs into a spoiler tag and what doesn't. Now I'm quite sure that Ross ain't dead yet. Good exciting episode.
I would also agree it just does not look like Mustang would do that to Ross.
 
Jul 27, 2009 11:39 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 654
What an interesting episode :D

Barry is becoming more and more adorable to me XD

My mouth hung open when we learn that Mustang killed Ross.

I REFUSE to believe he killed her; he probably shipped her off to somewhere "safe".

And PLEASE NO I do not want to know any spoilers on what happens afterwards or anything that'll either confirm or disconfirm my speculation. Pisses me off how people are spoilering like there's no tomorrow. Although I'm appreciating the fact that more people (in comparison to last week's thread) are using spoiler tags. THANKS <3!

I couldn't help but giggle when Hawkeye slammed the door and Mustang just let out a mischievious smile XD ahahahaha~

Episodes are getting better imo as it's delving into material that I have never seen before - it's a very interesting experience to watch because I'm familiar with the characters but the material is completely new and fresh to me :

More more more episodes please :P!! I think I can pretty much satisfy my anime fix with FMA:B and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 XD
 
Jul 27, 2009 11:46 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1514
O so i guess they did pretty well with sticking with the manga
lolz at Ling's behavior once again XD
Funny how the Major just busted into the room and grabbing Ed telling him to fix his arm when Winry was rite there XD
Everything will start making sense int he next couple episodes and i cant wait to see them =D

TechDragon said:
cyruz said:
Lol, you don't know what belongs into a spoiler tag and what doesn't. Now I'm quite sure that Ross ain't dead yet. Good exciting episode.
I would also agree it just does not look like Mustang would do that to Ross.


He lied too XD she was not resisting at all lolz , very suspicious >_<
Modified by ClearSinz, Jul 27, 2009 7:55 PM
 
Jul 27, 2009 11:55 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 4908
robbydesu said:
What an interesting episode :D
(...)
More more more episodes please :P!! I think I can pretty much satisfy my anime fix with FMA:B and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 XD

Oh, hi : p
Also, I hold true to your last statement there, except for the part with Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, it's not That good, really xD
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
 
Jul 27, 2009 11:57 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 654
Oosran said:
robbydesu said:
What an interesting episode :D
(...)
More more more episodes please :P!! I think I can pretty much satisfy my anime fix with FMA:B and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 XD

Oh, hi : p
Also, I hold true to your last statement there, except for the part with Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, it's not That good, really xD
Omg I love it, it's very realistic. And geez man, I can always count on you to reply to one of my posts within less than an hour XD
 
Jul 27, 2009 11:59 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 4908
robbydesu said:
Oosran said:
robbydesu said:
What an interesting episode :D
(...)
More more more episodes please :P!! I think I can pretty much satisfy my anime fix with FMA:B and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 XD

Oh, hi : p
Also, I hold true to your last statement there, except for the part with Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, it's not That good, really xD
Omg I love it, it's very realistic. And geez man, I can always count on you to reply to one of my posts within less than an hour XD

Yeah, it's probably pretty realistic, but there's just something with it.. anyhow, what I could be writing wouldn't belong in this thread : D
Also, nah, I wouldn't Always be able to reply to your posts within an hour, just luck I guess, it depends on the time you know xD
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
 
Jul 27, 2009 12:01 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 654
Oosran said:
robbydesu said:
Oosran said:
robbydesu said:
What an interesting episode :D
(...)
More more more episodes please :P!! I think I can pretty much satisfy my anime fix with FMA:B and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 XD

Oh, hi : p
Also, I hold true to your last statement there, except for the part with Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, it's not That good, really xD
Omg I love it, it's very realistic. And geez man, I can always count on you to reply to one of my posts within less than an hour XD

Yeah, it's probably pretty realistic, but there's just something with it.. anyhow, what I could be writing wouldn't belong in this thread : D
Also, nah, I wouldn't Always be able to reply to your posts within an hour, just luck I guess, it depends on the time you know xD
SUUUUUURE.......stalker. Jkjk XD
 
Jul 27, 2009 12:04 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 4908
robbydesu said:
Oosran said:
robbydesu said:
Oosran said:
robbydesu said:
What an interesting episode :D
(...)
More more more episodes please :P!! I think I can pretty much satisfy my anime fix with FMA:B and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 XD

Oh, hi : p
Also, I hold true to your last statement there, except for the part with Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, it's not That good, really xD
Omg I love it, it's very realistic. And geez man, I can always count on you to reply to one of my posts within less than an hour XD

Yeah, it's probably pretty realistic, but there's just something with it.. anyhow, what I could be writing wouldn't belong in this thread : D
Also, nah, I wouldn't Always be able to reply to your posts within an hour, just luck I guess, it depends on the time you know xD
SUUUUUURE.......stalker. Jkjk XD

You found out!? Crap, gotta do something about this... *Bangs head in table*
ouch, it didn't work >.<
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
 
Jul 27, 2009 12:05 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 654
Oosran said:
You found out!? Crap, gotta do something about this... *Bangs head in table*
ouch, it didn't work >.<
Attempt at being a stalker: Fail.

XD!! Jk~ *gives a cookie*
 
Jul 27, 2009 1:22 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 3813
Great episode

I can't wait for the next two episodes.
 
Jul 27, 2009 1:24 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 655
Briliant episode, the story was told intact. Very sad how the corruption of the Alchemists is being made abdominable. Oh well... next ep looks interesting, however this episode was 5/5 for me! X ))
 
Jul 27, 2009 1:32 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 1301
Barry is starting to become a likable character, funny and all, too bad he didn't get enough development in the first series.

I don't think anyone is fooled by Ross' death in this episode. And no I don't need to put spoiler tags cause I don't read the manga so you can call this speculation, although it seems pretty obvious that she's not dead.
 
Jul 27, 2009 1:58 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 2128
woow, was it really necessary to kill her? gosh, i wan the reason now! but i don't want to read the manga >>

i'm glad that i wasn't a fan of mustang. :D he's juste too calm.

can't wait for the next episode! ><
 
Jul 27, 2009 2:24 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 119
Alexstratz said:
Barry is starting to become a likable character, funny and all, too bad he didn't get enough development in the first series.

I don't think anyone is fooled by Ross' death in this episode. And no I don't need to put spoiler tags cause I don't read the manga so you can call this speculation, although it seems pretty obvious that she's not dead.


At first I was fooled. Then now that I think 'bout it with a clearer mind, it was cheap. Hope it really was just cheap and she's not dead.

kleeny said:
woow, was it really necessary to kill her? gosh, i wan the reason now! but i don't want to read the manga >>

i'm glad that i wasn't a fan of mustang. :D he's juste too calm.

can't wait for the next episode! ><


Fan of Mustang. STILL a fan of Mustang. He's love. And if he really killed her... I can pretty much understand why.
 
Jul 27, 2009 4:56 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 593
I don't have time to check, but this was probably the best episode ever.

from a blog, regarding confusion:
From my perspective (as I haven’t read anything from the manga), Brotherhood is doing a pretty terrific job so far. The thing I especially like about it is how it toys around with your emotions, and this episode was an especially good example of this: Ross escapes from prison after being framed for the murder on Hughes. Roy then comes and kills her off, of all things! The episode ended without any clear hint about what happened to her, whether it was a clever decoy from Roy or whether he really turned into such a bastard that he’d actually kill her for Hughes. That scene in which he sits in his office… I didn’t know whether I should laugh, mourn Ross, feel sorry for Roy’s co-workers or get angry at Roy for what he did, and there were a lot more scenes with similar effects, in which so many different emotions rush through at the same time. Did the manga have the same effect?
 
Jul 27, 2009 5:20 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 326
Great episode. Mustang is so awesome. <3
As many have said before me, Barry is so much more likable then in the first series.
 
Jul 27, 2009 6:03 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 2829
That's why I love FMA it was the first anime when the dead stays dead, and ppl drops like flies!
 
Jul 27, 2009 6:34 PM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 28
cyruz said:
Lol, you don't know what belongs into a spoiler tag and what doesn't. Now I'm quite sure that Ross ain't dead yet. Good exciting episode.

lol same here. This is not intended to be a spoiler (as I have not read the manga yet) but I believe that Maria Ross isn't dead.
BUT I loved it when Barry came to the rescue :p AND it was funny when the two people came back when Ling was eating the fish. (Wonder when/how he got it?)
 
Jul 27, 2009 6:55 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 3817
I was really surprised when Mustang killed off Ross like that - I won't believe she's dead, Mustang isn't that kind of guy...
 
Jul 27, 2009 7:31 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 53
stAtic91 said:
I was really surprised when Mustang killed off Ross like that - I won't believe she's dead, Mustang isn't that kind of guy...


Yea i got that feeling too.
Before this i thought of him as a guy who would try to find the truth with his own means.
 
Jul 27, 2009 9:05 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 5115
barry to the rescue, and personally i think its obvious mustang didn't really kill ross, its just too convenient that he was there at the right time
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
 
Jul 28, 2009 1:22 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 137
I'm kinda gutted that she died. I watch the original series but it was so long ago I can't remember what happened.
 
Jul 28, 2009 2:41 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 3051
i wonder if Roy really kill Ross o_o


 
Jul 28, 2009 2:51 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 182
I'm glad they kept the smoke signal scene intact ^^ it was my favorite scene in the manga xD

 
Jul 28, 2009 4:35 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 47
For some reason i thought this was Gintama -_- (Katsura- Elizabeth , Mustang-Elizabeth)
 
Jul 28, 2009 4:50 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1416
uh didnt expect mustang to fell into their trap. hes startign to be evil imo. if even hawkeye leave him it sure start to be exciting.
kinda suprised that barry could get such a important role, next time a even bigger one when he will meet himself.


 
Jul 28, 2009 7:20 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 3911
Can't wait til it progresses a bit more :P
 
Jul 28, 2009 8:15 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 16
I'm enjoying the dark(er) turn this series has taken compared to the last...last...last...last...last...last...last...last

*note to self, skip Haruhi this week*
One more Desu out of you and you're a china pancake, got it?
 
Jul 28, 2009 11:02 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 167
I really like this season better than the first.
It's so much darker and more "Muwhahahaha". Not to mention Envy does more evil stuff xD
Poor Ross D:
Still pretty happy there's so much Envy :D
Can't wait for the next episode!!
I have a feeling Ross isn't really bleh.
>.>
 
Jul 28, 2009 11:16 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 843
OMFG

So good.
<img src="http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e297/kitsu_ayame/Untitled-6.png" />
 
Jul 28, 2009 11:58 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 2687
Wtf? Did Mustang actually kill Ross or was that a fake? fvgfndflgndlfnkndslfn
I actually thought at first that he killed her, and was terrified at what he did, but then all his actions after that makes me think he didn't really do it D: It's really not in his character to kill an innocent women, isn't it. Nonetheless, really good episode, very much enjoyed with all the mindfuck around Mustang.

Btw, manga people, please use spoiler tags. kthx <3


 
Jul 28, 2009 1:38 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 858
Good episode. :)

Can't wait for the next one!
 
Jul 28, 2009 8:26 PM
Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 416
I didn't like this episode =(
Ross shouldn't have died!
 
Jul 29, 2009 6:41 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 1069
I didn't read the manga nor finished the original anime so I don't believe Ross died. I like this ep. It's entertaining to me, but not the best like the previous ones. Soda, I should be doing something but I remembered that this is about Cool Headed Flame so I ended up watching it. Ah, I want more of Roy Mustang.
Modified by Lieila, Jul 29, 2009 6:46 AM
 
Jul 29, 2009 8:45 AM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 47
Great ep. This is getting pretty heavy. Like others have said, it's good to see the series going in a darker direction. Though I agree with noteDhero, the show has a nasty habit of "spoiling the moment" with humor that, frankly, isn't all that funny. Still, if they can keep the pacing as it is and downplay the slapstick, I think we might have a winner here ;)

In any case, I'm not quite convinced Ross is dead. Mustang likely pulled some strings or called in a few favors in order to make it look like he fried her, and now Ross is in hiding somewhere. Mustang's exchange with Armstrong, and then Armstrong kidnapping Ed made me think Resembol, but that may be a bit of a stretch.
 
Jul 29, 2009 2:12 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 3629
i'm tempted to take Mustang off of my favorite characters now because of this episode. she didn't do it!!!

+10000^100 for Hawkeye. she is awesome <3
 
Jul 29, 2009 2:33 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 222
Ling scenes are still hilarious ;p
 
Jul 29, 2009 2:54 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 65
Mustang at his coolest :D lol @ elizabeth talk and Hawkeye being Mustang's babysitter :DD I'm starting to like Barry too. But what's with a second barry the chopper???
 
Jul 29, 2009 5:04 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 300
Fai said:
EMO EMO EMO

Oh please, you've made that point like it's a mantra. It is also misleading, as Brotherhood is just as emo as the old series.
 
Jul 29, 2009 5:57 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 593
Firestorm2117 said:
Great ep. This is getting pretty heavy. Like others have said, it's good to see the series going in a darker direction. Though I agree with noteDhero, the show has a nasty habit of "spoiling the moment" with humor that, frankly, isn't all that funny. Still, if they can keep the pacing as it is and downplay the slapstick, I think we might have a winner here.

No, no though the jokes may fall flat, humor is indeed important to this series. Downplaying the slapstick would be a much, much greater transgression than all the awkwardness the jokes bring sometimes. Why do you think the mangaka writes the jokes in, considering it could be easier to leave them out?
Veggen said:
Oh please, you've made that point like it's a mantra. It is also misleading, as Brotherhood is just as emo as the old series.

Brotherhhod is even less emo than the first series - this was what 'character development' was for them.
 
Jul 29, 2009 7:14 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 810
Sapta said:
Mustang at his coolest :D lol @ elizabeth talk and Hawkeye being Mustang's babysitter :DD I'm starting to like Barry too. But what's with a second barry the chopper???

You will see come next week. ;)
 
Jul 30, 2009 1:47 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 2688
Ross did not just die. If she really is dead, the fuck. She was one of my more liked characters in the series, and then bam just like that. Then hip hip horray comedy for the rest of the episode, and nobody gives a fuck. Talk about taking one massive pile of shit then shoving it up your ass.

The fuck. She better not be dead.

Fuck. The way they executed it though makes me think she is alive somewhere, and Roy has taken her into hiding, all his actions now being an act. It better be the case, or god help me...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
 
Jul 30, 2009 2:52 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 753
I really liked this episode, I have liked the way they are going since they branched off from what the first anime series was. I have to keep myself from reading manga spoilers, but this is exceeding my expectations especially with the last couple of episodes.
 
Jul 30, 2009 3:18 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 2837
Ain't clicking spoilers no more >< and damn the whole ep is a pack of schockers! Ross ;_;
 
Jul 30, 2009 10:06 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 74
Times like this make me glad I've read that manga. Other wise, my reaction would be as such: GAAAAHWHATTHEHECKMAN

Or something else similarly in all caps.
But since I already know what happens next and everything, I'm good. ^__^

I'm still undecided about how well I think this anime is doing in terms of being an adaptation of the manga. I really have to wait until we get through more of the plot to make a decision. So far it seems pretty good, but you never know.
 
Jul 30, 2009 6:04 PM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 47
fisher_88 said:
No, no though the jokes may fall flat, humor is indeed important to this series. Downplaying the slapstick would be a much, much greater transgression than all the awkwardness the jokes bring sometimes. Why do you think the mangaka writes the jokes in, considering it could be easier to leave them out?
I definitely agree. Humor is important in FMA, I'm just saying I think Brotherhood isn't doing as good a job handling the humor as the original series did. Sure, they're likely just following the mangaka's original intent, but it still doesn't appeal to me.
 
Jul 30, 2009 6:10 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 23708
Firestorm2117 said:
Humor is important in FMA, I'm just saying I think Brotherhood isn't doing as good a job handling the humor as the original series did.



WUT? "Original" series had humour? WHAR? I Did not see that?



However yes, the Maria Ross comedy scene was way out of place....
 
Top
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »