Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 23, 2019 3:28 PM
Jul 2018
Yeah I like this episode the best too.
Jan 14, 2020 6:20 PM
Apr 2016
I haven't enjoyed a show this much in a long time...every second gives pleasure to my eyes. The situation was just the worst for a boy like that--a naturally competitive and prideful boy--to a prideful boy, humiliation turns into sadism. His insanity and desire to hurt the other boy was a very natural instinct, wouldn't have made any sense any other way. At the end, the humiliation completely consumed him, to a point of isanity, and that is unfortunate.
May 3, 2020 11:29 AM

Apr 2017
New face. This time a popular, perfect primary schoolboy.

Because of his cap and golden rollers they think he's a bandit.
They begin to bully him.

He wants to be number one in everything, he calculates coldly and he wants to suit everyone, although he does not feel empathy or sympathy for others.

Someone took photos him and this another guy who's starting in a school election.

Wow, pictures were sent to his entire class.

He decides to throw away his rollers. Things getting worse. Nobody came to the birthday.

The protagonist appears and hits Ichi's rival.
This talking mascot. A figment of her imagination.

This time result is 1 (ichi), just like this boy nick. And he also begins to have paranoia.

The old man at the end says that the golden shoes will come when they are summoned. Did someone wish Tsukiko ill?
May 23, 2020 5:00 AM

May 2016
Ichi might be a complete douche and an arrogantly pompous jerk but I really don't think that he deserved getting bullied for sharing his appearance with Shonen Bat. Seeing his delusions of grandeur and paranoia were very amusing for me, though!

It looks like the old guy's chalk drawings has a connection to what each episode was about. I'm looking forward to more of it along with everything about the whole show~

Jun 16, 2020 11:29 PM

Jul 2016
Damn, love the trippy delusional shit at the end
Jun 28, 2020 6:14 PM
Aug 2018
Can we just talk about how everyone just assumes that Yuichi is shounen bat like really... do you have proof? Yeah he wears golden skates and wears a cap... Is that enough to link the assaults to him....I feel bad for him but at the same time..He is a rotten kid for letting out all his stress and anger on the nice new kid... Thank you for your time..
KuboToshiJun 28, 2020 11:01 PM
Aug 14, 2020 2:36 PM

Nov 2014
I laughed hard when I saw that nobody showed up at his birthday party, except his mom and his tutor.
That's what you get for being arrogant.
Aug 14, 2020 7:42 PM

Jul 2020
I actually felt bad at first for that kid for being bullied even though he’s arrogant. But, after the other kid got assaulted and him being happy about it, I think he deserves what he’s getting.

Still wondering how the Shonen Bat chose his victims. And though the one he attacked was the fat kid, the one suffering from it is that arrogant boy so he’s basically a “victim” as well
Nov 12, 2020 6:47 PM
Jul 2018
i mean yuichi seemed nice at first but all anime characters who are popular in school have a superiority complex lol, he kinda deserved all that blame and stuff coz hes weird idk.
that other kid that was running for student council was pretty nice i guess, shounen bat kinda cool ngl
Dec 22, 2020 7:51 AM

Oct 2019
not gonna lie, the last part of the episode makes me feel like im on crack. mr fuckboy on the other hand-

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 5, 2021 7:06 AM
Oct 2019
daaang, this is good. it picks at the scabs of society, makes you start to bleed again
Mar 13, 2021 2:19 AM
Aug 2020
so that old man is writing down numbers associated with the characters. Kinda interesting who he is
Mar 18, 2021 2:34 AM

Aug 2012
Excellent episode, definitely stronger than the first. Ichi was such a greatly developed character, my thoughts on him shifted quite a lot throughout. It's pretty easy to hate Ichi with his increasingly overt hatred of Ushiyama despite the fact that he was the only kid who had his back. Ushi trying to connect with him at the end leading to Ichi hoping for Shonen Bat to attack him really made me lose a my sympathy for him, but it's a natural development from Ichi's situations. He definitely doesn't deserve the bullying, and that shot of the empty birthday party was painful, but his continual narrative that Ushi's the problem made it difficult to find sympathy for him.

It's interesting to me that Ichi blames Ushi for the problems more than Shonen Bat, to the point where he's actually hoping for Shonen Bat to solve his problem. The actual culprit here is Ichi's solution for the imaginary problem. I guess it's easier to blame a close-by individual than the actual issue. I'm of course, not expecting Ichi to tackle Shonen Bat (though admittedly he actually tried to do that lol), in a lot of ways his situation pushes him in that direction. I don't want to get too into political because A. I'm not smart enough and B. that's asking for a flame war I won't be partaking in but I can't help but associate this with like, the constant complaints that immigrants are stealing jobs rather than complaining about the employers exploiting them for their labour. Again, not getting into any debate over this (just couldn't think of a non-political example of the social commentary I took from the episode) but it's one of those scenarios where it seems to me the hatred is directed in the wrong place, where it's lashed out at something more immediately tangible for lack of a better way to phrase it.

And I laughed every time his teeth sparkled, and his eye that one time.

The Tsukiko/Maromi scene was great too, I love the irony of Maromi's speech beginning with "That's just your imagination", and Maromi is just the cutest thing. Both in design and in their voice, Haruko Momoi is killing it. The end of the speech, the combination of her voice and Maromi's actions with the "right?" was the most adorable thing I've seen in ages outside of my own pets. The detectives whose name I haven't checked also have a really fun dynamic and their interview with Tsukiko was pretty funny.
Aug 21, 2021 7:40 PM

May 2019
I really loved this episode, it was very well written and it had me thinking about a lot of stuff throughout. Like the guy above said, I see a lot of people saying they hate Ichi and he deserved what he got, and I kind of thought that at the start but I don't think he deserved having his life fall apart. Frankly, kids are assholes, and the theme of this episode seems to be about that.

Ichi had such a great life at school and it got ruined when the kids turned on him because of a rumor. He couldn't cope with his life falling apart like that, so he blamed the fat kid and was just terrible to him. Part of this is that he's just a kid, but he's also clearly delusional and was showing some mental problems when he couldn't cope. Either way you can't really blame him entirely for doing what he did even though he is an arrogant asshole.

Also that shot of the fat kid in the hospital with his parents was really sad, the best people get put in the worst situations sometimes.

Definitely interested to see how the shonen bat is going to turn up around people with delusions or mental problems in further episodes.
Aug 22, 2021 6:27 PM

May 2019
Really enjoying the new perspective here of Ichi. I wonder if each episode will be its own narrative/story with the central theme of Shonen Bat.

Ichi kind of has a creepy personality, ngl...his teeth sparkle, his narcissistic attitude, his GOLDEN rollerblades, then his anger toward Ushi and the rude things he says about him. Also, the strange relationship he *thinks he has with his tutor. Creepy.

The smile Ichi had when Ushi actually got hit? Messed up. Then Ichi's downfall into paranoia and panic was done via great pace and editing as he was reliving his 'popular days'.

How does Kon make even this all-seeming perfect kid seem creepy? Make ordinary school kid banter get really messed up? Make you think Ichi will be the one to get hit because he 'deserves it' more than Ushi (who's just legit being nice)? Thus making lil slugger seem even MORE like a sociopath? Then at the end have it seem that Ichi was attacked (either physically or mentally) to mess with the viewer?

Because Kon's a mastermind, that's how.
Nov 3, 2021 5:44 PM

Jan 2015
Really enjoying this! Poor Ichi.
Dec 10, 2021 2:16 PM
Nov 2020
You know what sport you haven't tried, Ichi? Therapy.
Dec 24, 2021 8:38 AM

Dec 2021
This is very interesting and mysterious but why the hell those kids talk like they're 40 yo or something lol. Idk may be the dub that is weird (sadly I can't find it in sub)
Dec 31, 2021 12:13 AM

Aug 2019
Well well kid is living in dream now....showing bullying and dark side of society....on to the next one.
Aug 22, 2022 12:50 AM

Jun 2020
To summarize this episode:

Give Satoshi Kon a cliche concept about this narcissistic popular dude that everyone loves gets his reputation ruined supposedly because of a plump country bumpkin who's actually a kind dude and ask him to integrate this into the Shounen Bat story going on.

What would you get? A great, very well made masterful execution. But in reality, the story of this episode is still pretty cliched. Well done tho.

This episode is a good 8.5, would be a 9 if it wasn't cliched. Cause man that ending was intense.

Jan 28, 2023 1:34 AM
Jan 2023
i hated this kid, kinda felt bad for him at the end though
Jan 30, 3:36 AM
Jan 2021
This episode was 10x as good as the first one. I was hooked for the entire 20 minutes, which felt like 5 minutes.

Ichi is an interesting character. I don’t dislike him for his ego, as he’s only a kid that is yet to mature. He is a perfectionist, and to see all of his accomplishments crashing down in front of him is tragic.

The ending of the episode gave me goosebumps. The creator of this series has a fantastic sense of suspense. I can’t wait to watch more.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

katsup - Apr 3, 2008

215 by mbarseru »»
Mar 21, 4:16 AM

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arashi89 - Aug 7, 2009

68 by LithiumHead9 »»
Mar 6, 1:01 AM

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arashi89 - Aug 7, 2009

89 by LithiumHead9 »»
Feb 22, 2:57 AM

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

LibreKoi - May 24, 2009

63 by lkj509 »»
Feb 7, 2:41 AM

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

LibreKoi - May 24, 2009

62 by lkj509 »»
Feb 7, 1:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.