Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 21, 2009 1:51 PM

Jun 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Hey that wasn't half bad, I enjoyed this movie much more than the "Amada Anime Series: Super Mario". This one was way less corny, and actually had a pretty nice adventure story. The only thing I really didn't like was the ending, since...

Other than that though, it was a pretty good movie. :)
Feb 9, 2010 7:11 PM
Jul 2018
It was genius MILES better that that (OTHER MOVIE).
I felt it followed the game to a tee.
having played all main mario platformers.
Mar 23, 2010 12:00 PM

Oct 2009
But...

It was terrible... A Mario anime is a terrible idea to begin with anyway.
Jun 21, 2010 8:30 AM

Dec 2008
I liked it. Good for a few laughs, and the sound fx were so cheesy. But it was a fun trip down the lane of nostalgia!
Nov 15, 2010 5:01 AM

Apr 2010
peach's voice is annoying. also, sfx FTW
Jul 1, 2011 6:25 PM

Apr 2009
Actually I liked Peach's voice a lot for some reason... but yeah the ending sucked... anyway a good movie for some laughs I guess...
May 11, 2013 4:45 PM

Aug 2010
It wasn't awful, I guess, but not good. The animation does not hold up, the plot was boring, and the ending twist was pretty bad. There were some funny moments, though.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Oct 12, 2014 6:27 AM

May 2012
You can just taste the oldness of this anime :p but it was actually not half bad! Overall pretty development and story in general, but the ending could've been better though.

Lol that random advertising for Mario products :p
Feb 15, 2015 10:45 AM

Feb 2015
Recently watched The Grl Who Leapt Through Time thinking I wouldn't enjoy it and was really shocked to find it was amazing. (I'm a noob).

Super Mario? The EXACT opposite. Wanted to love it, but...
Aug 6, 2015 2:50 AM

Feb 2008
Oh yeah, I remember Mario and Luigi working at a grocery store in the games. The Triforce too was a Mario thing right!

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Feb 8, 2016 9:07 AM

Jul 2009
I liked this movie. It's not what I would call "good", but probably the most true to the source material. Luigi and Mario was hilarious in this movie. The cheesy "romantic" rock music made the movie even better. I have no idea why they worked in a grocery store, though, instead of plumbers like they're supposed to be. Still better than Mario Super Show".

Peach was really annoying, though. Constant screams.
She dreamt of Mario and his arrival, but when he managed to save her, she didn't seem interested in him at all. She went for that stupid prince she just met and who didn't even lift a finger to save her, instead of Mario. Mario didn't really seem to care either, he just went home with a smile.
Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle!
Sep 13, 2016 1:18 AM

Aug 2012
Keitaro004 said:
She went for that stupid prince she just met and who didn't even lift a finger to save her, instead of Mario.

The prince accompanied Mario & Luigi throughout the entire journey and helped him a lot during the movie. Like when he freed him from the Clam, or how he helped him blow air onto the sail to free them from the blooper underwater (this movie was weird, lol). Mario wouldn't have known to eat the Triforce (which I don't know why he had to, he used the mushroom & flower powers without eating them earlier) and he wouldn't have gone on the journey to save the princess if the Prince didn't help lead him there. Also, Luigi kinda did more than Mario, he broke them out of prison (that the prince warned them against), he crumbled the entire castle, & he gave Mario the star he stupidly dropped.

Contrary to seemingly everybody else who has seen this movie, I actually liked the ending. Maybe it was partially because I knew Mario didn't get the girl at the end because the top review of this movie spoils that without any warning, but it kinda worked for me. Peach out-right called Bowser out in the middle of the movie, if he loved her he wouldn't forced her into marriage. It only makes sense to express Mario's feelings through a contrast to Bowsers. I'd be more upset over Luigi not getting those coins, though I think with Bowser working at the store now he's probably fine.

That said, this movie isn't fully concerned with fully exploring the concept of "If you love them, set them free" even if that is a part of it. It's mostly just a dumb absurd comedy, some of the punchlines hit, most botch. I enjoyed my time with this film far more than I thought I would, I loved Peach trapping Bowser in a box, Mario's WTF Ballerina routine, and Luigi attacking Mario's dream bubble for stealing his fantasies. Among other stuff, like Mario somehow becoming one of the Parakoopa's kid. But there were also long stretches of boredom. I enjoyed the use of the games sounds, though it got a bit repetitive. 5/10.
TerrestriousMar 27, 2019 4:18 PM
Feb 11, 2017 3:15 PM

May 2015
Ahhh I remember watching this as a kid! so much better than that live action sh*t.
Aug 3, 2017 9:26 AM

Jul 2015
Wow, I have no words, that was terrible in so many levels.

The old man from Zelda got tired of this shit and went to the mushroom kingdom for another triforce.

The Toadettes were nightmare fuel, please keep them away from me.

And the ending, oh god, that was a masterful conclusion. "Uuuuh... Mario, I know you just saved me after risking your life, but, you know, you're not the one with the jewel that the legend says, so I'm going to marry that prince that was a dog-floruga, feel free to come back to save my ass in the future!" "Sure thing princess!" Oh god, I'm laughing to not cry.

Well, this exists and I watched it, in the end it's not that bad compared to Utsu Musume Sayuri... I guess.
Jan 13, 2018 3:51 AM

Jan 2011
There were aspects that I liked, but it just started to drag and that ending was just insulting. Congrats, never thought I'd get salty over Mario shipping.
May 18, 2019 6:12 PM

Dec 2015
It was odd, to say the least. I feel there's definitely some genius elements here for its time, but I can't say they worked at all.

Hope if Nintendo decides to make a new Mario movie or series the positives from this could be used.
May 31, 2021 6:11 AM
Dec 2017
Mario is way too gameplay focused to really be anime adaptation worthy, Zelda maybe but Trace Memory i think is the best Nintendo ip for an adaptation.

Apr 16, 2022 12:29 AM
Nov 2014
I fell asleep and had to rewind several times during this movie. It started entertaining and then gradually just got duller until the lame ending.
Apr 17, 2022 11:43 AM

May 2009
This movie turned out to be Actually Pretty Funny and I laughed at least a few times.

Best part was the final battle where
I laughed heartily at that. I wonder if that's where they got the idea for the game itself. Another commenter on YouTube mentions that this movie might be where they got the idea for the airships in Super Mario Bros 3.

Also, yet another commenter mentions that this is the first video game movie ever made. Is this accurate?
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Dec 7, 2022 5:28 AM

Nov 2015
Hello.

It's a me. Mario

Let's a go!
HACKs! šŸ¤¢šŸ¤®
Apr 20, 2023 4:01 PM

Mar 2022
Seeing as the new Mario movie is out in cinemas and still fresh in my mind, I thought I’d give the ol’ anime movie a look see. I didn’t have high expectations for this one, I was kind of aware of it going in, and I basically wanted to see how it fared compared the recent movie and the live action movie. Well…I will say the anime movie as a whole? It’s just mediocre, it’s not great, it’s not terrible either but it’s not as good as the new Mario movie. But it’s better than the live action movie at the very least but I think that’s the only thing that it’s got going for it.

It started off good at first but then it kind of started to drag in the middle and the ending, oh god, don’t get me started on the ending. First of the ending just comes out of nowhere, and it has a character turned into a prince who was NEVER established in the plot beforehand, he is a character changed from another character that I ultimately found annoying, stupid and pointless of an addition to the cast and plus overriding any possible pay-off that Mario may have had. The casting choices for Bowser and Princess Peach were very questionable, I have no idea why Bowser was voiced by a woman or the fact that Peach was voiced by an idol at the time who ultimately wasn’t an actress in the slightest.

It’s a bit of obscure material for the first Mario game, but it is surprising how much of this movie actually had stuff in it that doesn’t feel too out of place in the N64/Gamecube era of games that followed on decades afterwards. 

Otherwise it’s not really the best thing that Mario ever had, nor is it the worst. It’s functional as an entity but ultimately it’s just that a mediocre piece of work. It did make me laugh at times, it does feel faithful to the games at the very least but it’s very forgettable on the whole.
Aug 10, 2023 4:28 PM
Feb 2020
I just have one question (for now): What's the ethicality of King Koopa turning some but not all of the mushroom people into gold coins that are then used as the Mushroom Kingdom's currency?
Dec 16, 2023 6:35 AM

Oct 2013
This was pretty nice
Jan 15, 1:05 PM

Nov 2012
it's subbed on YT, some subs seemed to be missing, but I managed to fill in the gaps with my limited Japanese knowledge.

jokes that there's comments others also hated peach's voice, I watched this with my gf and that also really grated on her!
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
Feb 28, 2:53 PM

Jul 2016
Noclip Crew

More topics from this board

» Super Mario Movie (2023)

FuunsaikiStar - Apr 30, 2023

4 by TM_SUPER »»
Apr 30, 2023 8:30 PM
Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.