Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 20, 2009 7:12 PM

Jul 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well, good final episode, dunno what the heck it is at the beginning though. The producers only achieve around 3/4 of the story but the way they end in action was pretty sweet nonetheless.

Now, guyz, feel free to express your pent up feelings in this last thread of Genji Sennenki. Hurray xDDD !!!

If he's not with us, he's AGAINST us!!!

Jul 21, 2009 12:28 PM

Aug 2008
Wow. They weren't even bothered to end the show. They kind of started a new chapter in the last episode for no reason. Murasaki becomes Genji's newest piece of meat with a "I guess I've always looked at you" spiel that I just don't believe. As a side note, is it really ok to marry your ward whom you've treated like a child? It's all a little Woody Allen to me, and it's far too strange for me to overlook.
Jul 21, 2009 3:04 PM

Jul 2009
noteDhero said:
Wow. They weren't even bothered to end the show. They kind of started a new chapter in the last episode for no reason. Murasaki becomes Genji's newest piece of meat with a "I guess I've always looked at you" spiel that I just don't believe. As a side note, is it really ok to marry your ward whom you've treated like a child? It's all a little Woody Allen to me, and it's far too strange for me to overlook.

Yeah, I know the feeling of being shown an uncomplete story & hafta treat it as a complete one, same with Berserk & many more other shows. But what can the Japanese do when they have way less budget than the trashy Walt Disney's movies ?
Well, not enough time for the show to dig in more of Murasaki x Genji's relationship as well as her character so I guess you felt her character as "shallow". As for the marriage with the ward business, I dont know if you ever watched Kure Nai but it got the same business, I guesss its not that uncommon in Japan when love is involved. Guess you still not get used to Japan's weird SHAT yet, my friend ;)
Anyway, thanks you for being my sole partner in this thread. Hope we cross path soon again xD

Jul 21, 2009 3:11 PM

Aug 2008
Actually, no. I don't see Murasaki as all that shallow. She was rescued by Genji, and he took care of her when no one else in her family would. On top of that we've had the narrator doing a fantastic job of creating a really fond recollection of Genji, so I totally see why she would fall in love with him...especially since she's a child. I don't however see why he would "fall in love" (if that's even what happened) with her.

I did watch Kure-nai...but since it's been a year, who exactly are you talking about? Murasaki and her brother? They were blood related, and yeah, I found that very disturbing.

Yeah, I'm never going to get used to the apparent Japanese fetishization of taking advantage of taboo relationships or exploiting positions of power (from a familial standpoint) for sex.

But we'll see each other in the other show threads.
Jul 21, 2009 3:41 PM

Sep 2008
Well he never got to actually marry Murasaki in the end...He married his another niece later.
Anyway, this series felt both too short and too long. Too short because not the whole story was told, and too long because sometimes it was really boring to watch. I guess the japanese classics (especially such specific novel) isn't the best material to make into anime.

and btw, Kurenai was inspired by the Tale of Genji. Thus the name Murasaki and other stuff.
Jul 21, 2009 10:04 PM

Jul 2009
seishi-sama said:
Well he never got to actually marry Murasaki in the end...He married his another niece later.
Anyway, this series felt both too short and too long. Too short because not the whole story was told, and too long because sometimes it was really boring to watch. I guess the japanese classics (especially such specific novel) isn't the best material to make into anime.

and btw, Kurenai was inspired by the Tale of Genji. Thus the name Murasaki and other stuff.

Thanks for the info, so another watcher who only made his appearance at the end, are you like the white ranger in some Power Ranger or something?

Jul 22, 2009 12:19 PM

Sep 2008
abrasicu said:
so another watcher who only made his appearance at the end, are you like the white ranger in some Power Ranger or something?

Well I was somewhat behind the schedule with this show, so... :)
Jul 25, 2009 10:12 AM

Apr 2009
What did Genji do at the shores? Did he commit suicide?
Jul 25, 2009 4:48 PM

Jul 2009
KeroroGunsou said:
What did Genji do at the shores? Did he commit suicide?

The shores? According to the books, its where he wil spend his exile's time and meet another love interest... As for the anime, I have no idea...

Sep 5, 2009 1:26 AM

Jul 2008
There is a possiblity that there gonna make a second season. That would explain the ending better. I just finished the series and found it very refreshing , I gave it a 9 out of 10.
Three Thousand Realms in a Single Moment
Aug 19, 2011 11:11 PM

Feb 2010
well.. just like the entire series, the ending left me with eyes rolling and unsatisfied.

noteDhero said:

This. You have basically said everything I wanted to say...

I enjoyed some things: the historical aspect, the political issues, the unrequited love, the setting/art... but that's it. Everything else seemed like it wasn't thought through, and I could give a shit what happens to Genji. They seem to want to make a season 2... I will *most likely* not be watching, but I marathoned this pretty quick, so maybe if I wanna watch some sex scenes and drama, I'll tune in. ::cough::

Anyways... 6/10. Being generous.
Sep 1, 2011 2:44 PM
Mar 2011
"would not be revealed until some time later" - this about sums about this series
season 2 is needed. but as i read people's comments here, they might have to change the "classic" a bit to make another season happen
"....i am the villain in this story"
Jul 20, 2012 9:54 PM

May 2012
This was really good, however starting a new chapter in the lasts minutes of the episode just to have the anime end there gave me a very unsatisfied feeling. Still the anime was pretty good, and kept me entertaining for a while, I do wish that they would make a season 2 however that seems highly unlikely.
Aug 28, 2012 10:41 AM
Jul 2011
9/10 for me.The book tells us what happened during and after his exile so a second season is unnecessary.
Sep 20, 2012 1:58 AM

Nov 2007
I gave it a 10/10. The story is great. It was explained in detail and pictured the side of Genji well. I haven't read the book or novel though and the first time i knew about this was when I watched Air so I think, for me, this anime is very nice. :D

Anyway, There is one reason why I doubt with my score, Its about the story itself. It is because girls are only playful thing with Genji, I mean, Yes~ he loved them in his own way but~ It was just too painful to watch especially when he find another one easily..

ARGH! as i read the comments here, I was shocked with this. and I felt really sad for my favorite girl ~ Murasaki ~

seishi-sama said:
Well he never got to actually marry Murasaki in the end...He married his another niece later..

*seriously! I thought Murasaki will be his last one. And so much for him to repent in that place, he made a sin once again..

~ A sin is a sin and Love is Love ~
a very nice anime for me, but I don't want a second season. Hoho. I want to believe that in this one, he will be faithful to Murasaki then. :D
Jan 12, 2014 12:18 PM

Sep 2012
inn0centdem0n said:

I want to believe that in this one, he will be faithful to Murasaki then. :D

Same here! Absolutely beautiful anime. I enjoyed every second of it. 9/10
私の力はあなたの理解を超えています
Nov 16, 2014 1:25 PM

Jul 2012
I have mixed thoughts for this series. I enjoyed seeing the politics of the past, the different relationships and the nice music, but I was bothered by Genji as a character as well as how they portrayed the females. I only watched this series because it was linked to Uta Koi in the recommendations but in this show, none of the characters were likable or multidimensional compared to Uta Koi. Also, I couldn't really feel the romance as Genji treats all of his girlfriends in the same way "I've longed to be with you... I love you!" I was just cringing most of the time and even laughing at how cheesy it was at times. I remember that time one of his girlfriends asked "What were you doing that night?" and he's like "Important stuff.." No, you were banging another girl. Don't lie.

6/10
Sep 22, 2015 2:44 AM
Sep 2015
I would not recommend this anime to anyone. It's a poor excuse for an anime.

The whole story is based on a womanizer who gets away with his behaviour and somehow other character seem to sympathize with it.

I would have preferred if he was held accountable for his actions. He did not deserve a good ending in my opinion. This anime goes against all morals, he betrays his father and brother as well as the hearts of several women. And at the end he ends up with his sweet innocent ward. This whole anime is ridiculous.
Nov 30, 2016 3:32 AM
Apr 2015
I was also dissapointed with the end, simply because I wanted more! The relation between Genji and Murasaki is not that of a parent and a child. When Genji was very young, his most fond memories were of his mother, she was beautiful and perfection to Genji. After she passed a way there was Lady Fujitsubo, love of Genji's life. She wasn't his mother (duh) but she resembeled a great deal to her! Beautiful, warm and kind and let's not forget she was only some years older than Genji, in a way she would've been a more suited bride for him than his father. We also mustn't forget that people had shorter life spawn and that they engaged in marriage at a very young age, this was considered normal. Anyhow when Genji first saw Murasaki he saw the love of his life Fujitsubo, the same way Fujitsubo resembeled his mother, Murasaki resembeled Lafy Fujitsubo. He intended for Murasaki to be either his lover or his bride all along.
Dec 27, 2018 10:12 AM
Jul 2018
Great series. Props to dezako for making low budget series this interesting. I really don't want s2 since it won't be by him. Also i think low budget was real charm of series like Shigurui. 10/10
Mar 11, 2019 7:58 PM

Nov 2016
Lackluster final episode aside, it was decently enjoyable and definitely an unique experience. Still gotta say that it was the weakest series Dezaki worked on, at least from the ones I've seen so far.

My main gripe is that it was hard to find the right mood for this series.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 17, 2019 11:11 PM

Aug 2017
Watched it finished it and I had mixed feelings. I feel sad for Genji, it's hard to be "too beautiful". And I feel the girls who fell to his sweet words.

Jun 10, 2020 12:03 AM

Jul 2008
This was bad....a very bad ending because it left it on a cliffhanger and clearly no second season was made.

Again I don't feel sorry for Genji in the least...and on top of that you want to marry the child that was living in your home you paid little mind too all this time? Talk about robbing the cradle. That might be the worst one of all his affairs.

3/10 for me. Hard to like a series when you don't feel bad for what happened to the main character, which is the opposite of what the series tried to do. He was a womanizer that faced no consequences for his actions.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Which do you consider better/more enjoyable: 1987 movie, 2009 series, both of them?

astra_moon - Feb 22, 2022

2 by AngelsArcanum »»
Aug 27, 2023 3:51 PM

» Who is the woman who shows up in the beginning of this series?

removed-user - Dec 1, 2021

0 by removed-user »»
Dec 1, 2021 1:54 PM

Poll: » Genji Monogatari Sennenki Episode 5 Discussion

noteDhero - May 12, 2009

7 by whither »»
Nov 1, 2020 1:51 AM

Poll: » Genji Monogatari Sennenki Episode 4 Discussion

sugarplumfairy - May 3, 2009

6 by whither »»
Nov 1, 2020 1:23 AM

Poll: » Genji Monogatari Sennenki Episode 3 Discussion

passerby5 - Feb 1, 2009

11 by whither »»
Nov 1, 2020 1:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.