Forum Settings
Forums

Funimation Acquires Higashi no Eden and Casshern Sins

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
 
#1
Jul 19, 2009 7:01 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 4384
According to ANN, FUNimation announced at Otakon panel that it acquired "Higashi no Eden" TV series and "Casshern Sins". The two series will be released in 2010.

Source: ANN

Story by Hybrid00
 
#2
Jul 19, 2009 7:02 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 462
will be buying Eden discs, o yeah.
 
#3
Jul 19, 2009 7:47 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1220
Good series to buy but if you ask me the most important is the timing, not interfiering with online downloads and such, making users that liked the series willing to buy it.

Good one Funi
 
#4
Jul 19, 2009 7:47 AM
Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 2788
Coolio. Looking forward to dub, if they're doing one.

Casshern Sins though...? Would anyone really buy that?
 
#5
Jul 19, 2009 8:02 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 447
I will definitely buy Higashi no Eden. (Even though I have download all the episode, still I want to buy and support it cause the anime is awesome ^^)
 
#6
Jul 19, 2009 8:11 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 5120
Congrats to both those titles~



#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net - the official IRC channel for Fate Testarossa.
 
#7
Jul 19, 2009 8:48 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 368
Casshern is too dark for most western audiences it will not sell
 
#8
Jul 19, 2009 8:57 AM
Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 1409
This will be a must buy... too bad it's not released until 2010.
Dead Account
Please Delete
 
#9
Jul 19, 2009 9:04 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 4300
Nothing about the movies?
 
Jul 19, 2009 9:04 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 576
tehnominator said:
Casshern Sins though...? Would anyone really buy that?

Yep i will, it being one of the best shows i've watched in the past 5 years. & i know quite a few others who plan to buy it as well.

Sure it won't sell as much as the big name titles, though there's a huge Casshern following in the US, and not only that, you have fans that are into Guyver and such. They'll eat this up.

& i don't really care much for Eden. Sure it was a great show, though i wouldn't watch again.
 
Jul 19, 2009 9:09 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 5120
Casshern Sins was really great. The ED song was nice and it overall had a decent plot and characters. The art I had to adjust to.



#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net - the official IRC channel for Fate Testarossa.
 
Jul 19, 2009 9:13 AM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 5167
Two of the best shows of the last 5 years. Definite must buy for American fans (I don't live in North America, but if it's licenced in Europe one day...).

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
 
Jul 19, 2009 9:20 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 576
Jacut said:
Two of the best shows of the last 5 years. Definite must buy for American fans (I don't live in North America, but if it's licenced in Europe one day...).

Yeah i'm in Europe, though it won't stop me from owning Casshern Sins. Do hope it eventually makes it's way over here, because it's fanbase is something else.
 
Jul 19, 2009 9:36 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 528
W00t
I really liked both series, but I haven't finished them yet -__-
 
Jul 19, 2009 10:11 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 159
i kinda think that Casshern Sins is to dark of a show to sell all that well, but i could be wrong lol
 
Jul 19, 2009 10:15 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 2190
&Funi is on a role. Take that Viz.
 
Jul 19, 2009 10:17 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 2254
Eden is over-rated to the extreme (10-10-10-10-10 people must die) and Casshern is sleep inducing at times. I dropped both and don't plan on buying either.

Talking of recent series, has TotA been licensed by Bandai yet? I ask because in the year 2011, I want to pick up the Anime Legends box set.
 
Jul 19, 2009 10:20 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 797
Hope both are Vic Mignogna-less.
:)
 
Jul 19, 2009 10:54 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 51
Hmmm...Mixed feelings about this one. Sure, it's good they're making these two series available to the public legally, but I just can't seem to like Funimation's move. It just seems hypocritical to me. They're the ones who jump on every possible chance to try to eliminate fansubs yet they licensed shows that are virtually unknown to the West had it not been for fansubbing(Eden of the East is a good example, Casshern has a cult following in the West). Well, whatever works, I guess. I don't live in the US, anyway.
 
Jul 19, 2009 11:06 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 1074
supermario23 said:
Hmmm...Mixed feelings about this one. Sure, it's good they're making these two series available to the public legally, but I just can't seem to like Funimation's move. It just seems hypocritical to me. They're the ones who jump on every possible chance to try to eliminate fansubs yet they licensed shows that are virtually unknown to the West had it not been for fansubbing(Eden of the East is a good example, Casshern has a cult following in the West). Well, whatever works, I guess. I don't live in the US, anyway.


i'm in agreement here.. casshern sins would be a complete shot in the dark if fansubbing didn't exist. i couldn't see it doing well at all unless it was already known here. funi makes me mad with this :<

eden of the east was a good choice, whether fansubbing was around or not. although i wasn't a fan of it, i could see its appeal to westerners.
 
Jul 19, 2009 11:13 AM
Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 49
i am going to love laughing at the dub haha.
 
Jul 19, 2009 11:14 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 843
Should have picked up K-ON!

Silly funi.
<img src="http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e297/kitsu_ayame/Untitled-6.png" />
 
Jul 19, 2009 11:16 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1359
Buying Higashi DVDs.

Will turn on Japanese audio.
 
Jul 19, 2009 11:41 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 576
These people saying that Casshern Sins would be basically in the dark if it wasn't for fansubbing seriously don't know how loved the franchise is around the world, especially in the US.

Don't forget that Funi have been doing those polls down and then, and Casshern Sins was always on the list of choices.
 
Jul 19, 2009 11:52 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 2265
Eden = Heck yeah, definitely picking up the DVDs.

Casshern Sins I haven't seen, but I'm rather interested in. Funi likes putting stuff up to stream everywhere, so it should be a good chance to check it out.

kuroshiroi said:
Nothing about the movies?

Funimation says idk.

Hotstrawberry said:
Should have picked up K-ON!

Silly funi.

It's probably expensive.

oh, these little earthquakes
 
Jul 19, 2009 11:58 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2236
I'll be sure to buy the Higashi no Eden Dvd. ^_^
 
Jul 19, 2009 12:18 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 184
Anomalous said:
Eden = Heck yeah, definitely picking up the DVDs.

Casshern Sins I haven't seen, but I'm rather interested in. Funi likes putting stuff up to stream everywhere, so it should be a good chance to check it out.

kuroshiroi said:
Nothing about the movies?

Funimation says idk.

Hotstrawberry said:
Should have picked up K-ON!

Silly funi.

It's probably expensive.


I REALLY don't want to hear or imagine K-ON dubbed...Yui's voice would be painful. :/ And this is coming from someone who doesn't bash dubs, lol.

Nice one Funi, for picking up Higashi.
 
Jul 19, 2009 12:24 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 106
Casshern??? Why aren't they pulling off the list they had in the survey they had on their blog awhile back?? Like K-On, Linebarrels, Chrome-Shelled Regios or Rosario + Vampire. Now those I would buy over Casshern.
 
Jul 19, 2009 12:40 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 342
Hotstrawberry said:
Should have picked up K-ON!

Silly funi.
Knowing FUNi, they will probably find a way to get K-ON!

Anywho, yay for Higashi. I haven't watched it yet, but it's supposed to be really good so I'll pick it up. :]
#1 YUGItard and Ryuuk's wife.

[ ] Me and Yuusei; we's like peas and carrots~ [ ]
 
Jul 19, 2009 12:43 PM
Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 644
Arcadies said:
Casshern??? Why aren't they pulling off the list they had in the survey they had on their blog awhile back?? Like K-On, Linebarrels, Chrome-Shelled Regios or Rosario + Vampire. Now those I would buy over Casshern.


Casshern and Eden of the East where on their survey: http://www.zoomerang.com/Survey/survey.zgi?p=WEB2296BDH59FM

They may have gotten more responses requesting that then the other shows that you've listed.

Hotstrawberry said:
Should have picked up K-ON!

Silly funi.

K-ON! seems more like a Bandai or ADV license now. It probably wouldn't do as well in NA in comparison to other shows if the sales of shows like it are any indication.

Modified by Avoidea, Jul 19, 2009 1:25 PM
 
Jul 19, 2009 1:21 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 437
sweet, i really like sins
 
Jul 19, 2009 2:20 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 947
DaeScope said:
Casshern is too dark for most western audiences it will not sell


also they will replace the words kill with destroy that so irks me XD

I signed my screen and now its all smeary "When you meet your God tell him to leave me alone."

check out my bloghttp://corpse69.wordpress.com/

fix MAL already
 
Jul 19, 2009 2:22 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 947
Namida_x said:
Knowing FUNi, they will probably find a way to get K-ON!


yer license it to Europe and Australia first lol

I signed my screen and now its all smeary "When you meet your God tell him to leave me alone."

check out my bloghttp://corpse69.wordpress.com/

fix MAL already
 
Jul 19, 2009 2:29 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 23708
Getting Casshern Sins for sure. one of the best things to be produced in last 5 years hands down...
 
Jul 19, 2009 4:24 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 437
I wished they would have licensed goku and his friends return.
 
Jul 19, 2009 5:30 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 551
hotstrawberry said:
Should have picked up K-ON!

Silly funi.


I hope that K-ON! doesn't get dubbed, even if it gets licensed. If it does then they might dub their songs and that doesn't always come out great.
 
Jul 19, 2009 5:34 PM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 128
Totally buying Casshern Sins. I enjoyed the few episodes I was able to watch and I'd be willing to watch the rest through the official US release.

Rail_Man said:
I wished they would have licensed goku and his friends return.


I wish that too even though I've seen it already. I'd like to see FUNI dub this though.
 
Jul 19, 2009 6:49 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 538
I'm definitley Going to buy Higashi No Eden.
XD
 
Jul 19, 2009 6:51 PM
Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 1623
Yay! Now all the people who said "I'll kill myself/lots of people if K-On! gets licensed before Eden" can breathe easily at not having to follow through on their words.

But Funimation's a little slow, if they had announced the license during the FAL Season, it may have turned out very differently.

 
Jul 19, 2009 7:38 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 1674
I get why they would buy Higashi but... Casshern? :/ not a bright move imo...


 
Jul 19, 2009 7:47 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 709
Yeah~! Higashi no Eden!!!!!!
 
Jul 19, 2009 8:04 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 4300
Anomalous said:
kuroshiroi said:
Nothing about the movies?

Funimation says idk.
They have to license the movies but I guess they can wait and see how well the show sells before they do.

BD where?
 
Jul 19, 2009 8:12 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 4657
Hopefully Steve Blum voices all the characters in both anime. Either that, or he and Liam O'brien tag team it.
 
Jul 19, 2009 8:27 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 2013
I want to own Edeeeeeeeen <3 yay

 
Jul 19, 2009 9:33 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 590
both good animes, eden would be a good purchase on dvd. And it's coming sooner than most licensed anime from japan's air date it seems.
 
Jul 19, 2009 9:56 PM
Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 644
BigSimo said:
Hopefully Steve Blum voices all the characters in both anime. Either that, or he and Liam O'brien tag team it.

Neither of them will be in the dub unless Funimation decides that they want to fly them over to do voice work. It will probably be the usual voice actors you see in Funimation's dubs.
 
Jul 19, 2009 10:35 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 590
Capellabun said:
BigSimo said:
Hopefully Steve Blum voices all the characters in both anime. Either that, or he and Liam O'brien tag team it.

Neither of them will be in the dub unless Funimation decides that they want to fly them over to do voice work. It will probably be the usual voice actors you see in Funimation's dubs.


which sucks :( they should put more effort in i say.
 
Jul 19, 2009 11:12 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1381
i bet higashi will sold out after a few minutes
 
Jul 20, 2009 1:26 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 576
magentaanbu said:
but... Casshern? :/ not a bright move imo...

Why?

There's already about half of the people who posted in this thread who said they'll buy it, and like i've said a few times already, the Casshern franchise is huge around the world, especially in the US. It'll sell for sure.

It does urk me that people keep thinking it's a wrong move on Funi's part to license it. & i ask why? & actually reason please, not "oh the show's to dark and it won't sell", because that's rubbish.
 
Jul 20, 2009 2:35 AM
Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 644
Shiroth said:
magentaanbu said:
but... Casshern? :/ not a bright move imo...

Why?

There's already about half of the people who posted in this thread who said they'll buy it, and like i've said a few times already, the Casshern franchise is huge around the world, especially in the US. It'll sell for sure.

It does urk me that people keep thinking it's a wrong move on Funi's part to license it. & i ask why? & actually reason please, not "oh the show's to dark and it won't sell", because that's rubbish.


I haven't seen Casshern myself, but its following may not be as big as other series. Even shows with big fanbases do not always do well in sales.

However, Casshern seems like a series (based on the summary I read),that could air on a channel like Adult Swim or SciFi(or SyFy) on Mondays. That would probably add to a boost in DVD sales if it does well on either channel. Though again I'm not familiar with the series so I'm not sure if getting a TV deal for it would do any good.

Honestly though, almost every thread concerning Funimation's licenses have comments saying that Funimation made a bad move and are wasting their money. Yet, they seem to be doing OK in comparison to other licensing companies. Probably due to the fact that they have licenses to some big titles including some of the titles they've gained from Geneon and ADV.
 
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Top
Pages (2) [1] 2 »