Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 19, 2009 1:28 AM

Jul 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Starts with them arriving to Central. :3
Barry chess scene intact :3
Havoc's "I Have got a girlfriend!~~" intact :3
And Ling gets into a prison :3
And they removed one of the most emotional manga scenes - The Newspaper......not good, not good....
Mustang's scene intact :3
Envy scene intact :3
Mustang WC scene intact :3
So instead a newspaper Maria Ross tells them about Hughes -____-.... ... ... ... NOT HAPPY WITH THIS....NOT HAPPY....
Winry meeting with Gracia went almost exactly as manga, thankfully.
Although they replaced a certain scene with voice-only -___- ...
EdWin moment intact :3
Maria Ross scene intact :3
Thankfully the "WHAT A TWIST" ending is intact.

3/5 for the fact that they ruined "Apple Pie" scene, "Newspaper" scene and they will ruin one of the most important moments by revealing them in the same episode(hopefully they wont.) -_-
AhenshihaelJul 19, 2009 1:33 AM
Jul 19, 2009 1:48 AM

Jul 2008
The pace has slowed down finally - at least compared to the first "season."

To me, the aftermath of the Hughes death arc is even sadder than his actual death. His poor daughter. ;___; Even the eyecatch was sad.

Poor Maria. The homunculus can be such jerks. Poor Havoc, too. D:

Illegal immigrant!Ling ftw. Also, Fuu and R/Lan Fan are epic.

BEGINNER
Jul 19, 2009 1:55 PM
Jul 2009
Overall this was an okay episode nothing more nothing less. I liked the edxwinry moments and the homuncolus chat other than that nothing special. I was also disepointed about the that they removed the newspaper scene: ( But i really look forward for the next episode!
Jul 19, 2009 2:08 PM

May 2008
Bit slowpaced ep. But woah at the preview.
Jul 19, 2009 2:28 PM

Jul 2008
Fai said:

And they removed one of the most emotional manga scenes - The Newspaper......not good, not good....

So instead a newspaper Maria Ross tells them about Hughes -____-.... ... ... ... NOT HAPPY WITH THIS....NOT HAPPY....

What? I almost don't want to watch it now... Why did they change it? :(
Jul 19, 2009 3:07 PM
Oct 2008
Gin-iro said:
Fai said:

What? I almost don't want to watch it now... Why did they change it? :(

So they could get the Hughes drama out of the way for the next few episodes, which makes for better pacing. The episode, despite what Fai thinks, manages to do the Hughes fallout pretty well.
Jul 19, 2009 3:33 PM

Jul 2007
InsaneZero said:
So they could get the Hughes drama out of the way for the next few episodes, which makes for better pacing. The episode, despite what Fai thinks, manages to do the Hughes fallout pretty well.

While I COULD agree that Ross worked similarly as newspaper, the scene where Ed runs through the streets emoing was over-exaggerated. Its something I would expect in FMA1 and not in FMA:B...
Jul 19, 2009 4:03 PM

Apr 2009
Finally saw it.

The removal of the newspaper was...well, in my honest opinion, a bad idea. It was much more emotional than simply Ross telling the brothers and having Ed run off like that, plus this changes the order of events. Annoying, but I can live with it; it was a very nice episode other than that.

Anyone else like the part with Ed and Al running past the telephone booth where Hughes was murdered? I thought it was a nice touch, but that's just me. *Shrug* (Can't remember if it was in the manga or not, but either way, I liked that scene lol.)

And yay, one of my favorite Ling moments was left in there. Poor guy, his little act didn't work quite as he expected, did it?
Jul 19, 2009 5:05 PM

Jun 2008
This episode was trying so hard to be emotional, in which it wasn't really that emotional.
Jul 19, 2009 5:52 PM

Sep 2008
wow watching hudges death was sad , but this was sadder,
-i got a girlfriend
-dont you tink cutting her would be fun? LOL
i would have liked to see winly and ed get "closer", but i supose this isnt this kind of anime (sigh)
Being a fan is like having a penis. Its nice to be proud of it But don't pull it out in public and wave it in other's faces

Kyurem Black. Kyurem White. Together they are Pretty Kyurem.
Jul 19, 2009 5:55 PM

Dec 2007
I think the manga portion was a tad bit more emotional, but good epi, hopefully they will keep everything intact like they've been doing so far.

Jul 19, 2009 6:38 PM

May 2007
kie_ said:
This episode was trying so hard to be emotional, in which it wasn't really that emotional.

True. In addition, because Brotherhood didn't do as well a job in showcasing Hughes' character in the early episodes as much, the effect was lost even more so. Regardless, decent episode I suppose. Liked the way they ended the episode though with Ross and Lust.
Jul 19, 2009 6:43 PM

Dec 2008
I haven't read the manga so I can't compare this "newspaper scene" that people keep mentioning, but overall, I thought it was a solid episode, though not amazing. I think the most emotional part for me was Ed and Al listening to Eliza's attempts to comfort her mother through the door ;_;

Ross revealing Hughes' death to the Elric bros. worked well enough for me, though. Didn't have a huge emotional impact, but I could feel the gears working in Ed and Al's brains, as it slowly dawns on them that Hughes is dead and not "away in the country". Them running past the phone booth Hughes was murdered in was a nice touch, too, as Possk mentioned ^^ I suppose having Ross in that role also helped remind everyone that she exists (after not seeing her for a few weeks), so the scene where she's suspected in Hughes' case doesn't seem so random.

And nice ending twist! Poor Havoc can't catch a break xD
Jul 19, 2009 7:31 PM

Apr 2009
While yes there were a few differences in this episode I can't expect Bones to animate the series per manga 100%, 99.9% is fine with me :P Still content with the series direction so far. Selectively "replacing" items makes it a little fresher without deviating completely from the story intent.

Good episode, I thought it was emotional and done well personally. Ed x Winry scene was great.
Jul 19, 2009 7:51 PM

Jul 2006
Winry wanted Hughes to try her applie pie.

Oh yeah.

Jul 19, 2009 8:59 PM

Jul 2008
hmm Ling being an illegal immigrant FTW

well things are certainly getting interesting now
Jul 19, 2009 8:59 PM

Aug 2008
JusticeGundam said:

Oh yeah.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

But seriously, a whole episode about the aftermath of Hughes' death a whole bunch of episodes after said death? Weird...and honestly, a little too drawn out. But thankfully there were moments in the episode about the Homonculi's hold over Central.
Jul 19, 2009 9:17 PM
Mar 2009
WHY DID THE HOMUNCULUS KILL HUGHES!!! THOSE BASTARDS!!!

lol at the illigal immigrant scene

True or False
Anime + Manga = Chuck Norris / Chuck Norris
Jul 19, 2009 10:12 PM
May 2008
A slower paced episode was needed imo... since it has been mostly fast paced action for a few episodes. Plus, there was loads of information for people just watching this season alone. Overall very nice episode and I thoroughly enjoyed the pacing.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Jul 19, 2009 10:14 PM

Oct 2008
JusticeGundam said:

Oh yeah.

Ed should have comforted her by saying he'd try her apple pie instead.

giggity giggity
Jul 19, 2009 11:07 PM

Sep 2008
People should have seen this coming though (seeing people annoyed about Hughes death being brought up again). I think it adds a lot of emotions and development to the characters. Hughes impacted them greatly. I thought it was a well done episode, looking forward to seeing more about the new characters though since i know nothing about them :/.

Oh and still loving the new op.
Jul 19, 2009 11:15 PM

Feb 2009
The next episode's preview seems promising. Emotional episodes in this series don't really have great effects due to the pacing and lack of depth for some characters such as Hughes. The first show had better emotional parts but it's interesting to watch a new story (manga version). I haven't read the manga and this all looks new to me.

Jul 19, 2009 11:20 PM

Apr 2009
I cried again. :(
Jul 20, 2009 2:44 AM

Jan 2009
This episode was sadder than the day of the funeral ;/
Poor Jean, don't have luck with women.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 20, 2009 3:07 AM

Oct 2007
FMA:B epi 16: Drama done right.

"Thousands have lived without love, not one without water." -Wystan Hugh
Jul 20, 2009 3:36 AM

Jul 2007
velcom said:
People should have seen this coming though (seeing people annoyed about Hughes death being brought up again). I think it adds a lot of emotions and development to the characters. Hughes impacted them greatly. I thought it was a well done episode, looking forward to seeing more about the new characters though since i know nothing about them :/.

Not to mention that its perfectly realistic.

In real life various related people find out about deaths and funerals at different times. While the world and most of people might have already began to forget the event , to those who found out just recently its still a fresh and horrible thing It does not matter on just how much time has passed since the event itself - it will still have the same impact to those who just found out.

Smasher said:
FMA:B epi 16: Drama done right.

QFT, (minus the exaggerated Ed running down the street scene)
Jul 20, 2009 4:02 AM

Sep 2008
Fai said:
velcom said:

Not to mention that its perfectly realistic.

In real life various related people find out about deaths and funerals at different times. While the world and most of people might have already began to forget the event , to those who found out just recently its still a fresh and horrible thing It does not matter on just how much time has passed since the event itself - it will still have the same impact to those who just found out.

very well said.
Jul 20, 2009 4:54 AM

Apr 2008
such a sad episode .... illegal immigrant xD hahas~

Jul 20, 2009 7:24 AM

May 2008
This was a great episode. I don't really remember the newspaper scene too well, but I thought that Ross telling them was ok.

I'm gonna feel sorry for Havoc in the next coming episodes

Jul 20, 2009 7:26 AM

May 2007
Sad episode is sad. ;( As I didn't read the manga, I can't compare, but it was very emotion and touching for me. They did it well. Hughes... nng. ;;

Jul 20, 2009 7:32 AM

May 2008
whoa wat a turn of events , god im addicted all over again

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Jul 20, 2009 7:57 AM

Oct 2008
I love that Havoc got some time in this episode, but that he's 'dating' Lust. Bah! x.x
The next episode is gonna be awesome.
Elicia's face when she found Winry at the door was sooooo cute!
Jul 20, 2009 8:08 AM

Jul 2007
anyone know what musical score was playing when ed,al,winry were walking down the street after finding out of death?

Was a really good piece of music and fit right in with anime
Jul 20, 2009 8:31 AM

Feb 2009
I wasn't probably in the right mood since I didn't find this episode too sad and I felt like they were trying too hard for it to be emotional.
Jul 20, 2009 8:35 AM
Dec 2007
Fantastic episode, great developments, and probably one of the best of the series for now. Strange how the latter episode was weak and almost out of place and the new environment - the brothers' coming to Central - immediately made the script better. Next episode will be great also, waitin' for it.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jul 20, 2009 8:42 AM

Jun 2008
it was sad, all i can say.. =l
Jul 20, 2009 9:03 AM

Jan 2008
Hahaha, illegal entry of Ling. Poor Jean. Bad luck with women.

Slow and sad episode. Probably the slowest pace compare to previous episodes. Looking forward to the next episode. Much emo and angsty one. More Mustang Roy please.
Jul 20, 2009 9:35 AM

Jan 2009
well.. I could atleast say the new op is still not as good as the first : p
and well, not much to say..really xD it's good and all, so no complaints I guess : p
oh right there might be something to say, how come.. pretty much ALL main characters, in pretty much EVERY anime out there, have some kind of self-sacrificing second nature? example, Ed thinks it'd be better if he goes and talks to Gracia himself instead of having Al face them too, and then I could go on with examples from other animes as well, but I won't do that just now : p
aand the old ed was better too : )
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Jul 20, 2009 9:44 AM

May 2009
i cried again too.. :'(
the wounds came back.. that's how i felt.

haven't read the manga either, so the scenes were pretty well done for me.
btw, how far into the manga are they? like, what chapter are they on?

@Oosran
that image of yours.. I still think Ling looks like the older version of Touma from 'Fantastic Children'. just nutty. :P
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51RKQ29S8EL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
_____ _ _ ______

Within pain, there is desire.

_____ _ _ ______
Jul 20, 2009 11:11 AM

Aug 2007
@Kundalini: the most recent chapter is 97.

The only thing that I liked was the Ling-sneakentry... Nothing else really. Guess I'm not into an emotional day today.
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Jul 20, 2009 11:27 AM

Dec 2008
Hool said:
Exactly my thoughts. The episode when he got killed plus the funeral wasn't as sad as this episode at all.

I literally felt my heart break into two. I thought the scene when Ed overheard Gracia crying and then seeing Ed, Al and Winry walk with that intensely emotional music score playing in the background was beautiful. Beautifully heartwrenching!! :(

Overall, I like how everything is turning out. :3
Jul 20, 2009 11:32 AM

Jan 2009
robbydesu said:
Hool said:
Exactly my thoughts. The episode when he got killed plus the funeral wasn't as sad as this episode at all.

I literally felt my heart break into two. I thought the scene when Ed overheard Gracia crying and then seeing Ed, Al and Winry walk with that intensely emotional music score playing in the background was beautiful. Beautifully heartwrenching!! :(

Overall, I like how everything is turning out. :3

Oh yeah btw, the music there was pretty good : 3
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Jul 20, 2009 12:21 PM

Feb 2009
I gave it a 3/5 purely due to the slower pace, it was good but there was not much there, except for the preview, which makes it look like the next episode is going to be swell.
Jul 20, 2009 12:28 PM

Oct 2007
The slow pace was ok, but it kinda turned out that they're barely just moving along.

Aww, I wanted to see where they're on the train and they compare the height of Ling and Ed, but oh well.

It seems like this series is going really fast.
Jul 20, 2009 12:31 PM

Dec 2008
Sami092 said:
I gave it a 3/5 purely due to the slower pace, it was good but there was not much there, except for the preview, which makes it look like the next episode is going to be swell.

BlackWings said:
The slow pace was ok, but it kinda turned out that they're barely just moving along.

Aww, I wanted to see where they're on the train and they compare the height of Ling and Ed, but oh well.

Fast, slow, fast, slow, fast, slow.

I wonder if there will ever be a moment when people will start giving a substantial review or comment about a FMA:B episode without mentioning about the pace.

I wonder...
Jul 20, 2009 12:34 PM

Jan 2009
robbydesu said:
Sami092 said:

BlackWings said:

I wonder if there will ever be a moment when people will start giving a substantial review or comment about a FMA:B episode without mentioning about the pace.

I wonder...
tch, slow or fast, who cares ? : D
Jul 20, 2009 12:34 PM

Dec 2008
Oosran said:
robbydesu said:
Sami092 said:

BlackWings said:

I wonder...
:D!! *hugs*
Jul 20, 2009 12:41 PM

Jan 2009
robbydesu said:
Oosran said:
robbydesu said:
Sami092 said:

BlackWings said:

I wonder...
:D!! *hugs*
oh and btw, I don't think you answered in that other thread wherever it was, how'd your finals go?: p
Jul 20, 2009 12:42 PM

Dec 2008
Oosran said:
oh and btw, I don't think you answered in that other thread wherever it was, how'd your finals go?: p
I answered :( go check!
Jul 20, 2009 12:44 PM

Jan 2009
robbydesu said:
Oosran said:
I answered :( go check!
oh you did? : O in which post was that? xD I seem to have missed it : /
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

samatar45 - Oct 2, 2009

286 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Oct 11, 2009

296 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

» What’s bad about this anime ( 1 2 3 )

sangonomiya_k - Nov 18, 2023

132 by Chewbaccaccino »»
Apr 21, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

adamantine - Aug 16, 2009

215 by JoeyBadaSS »»
Apr 20, 10:29 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 64 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jul 4, 2010

965 by _dziku »»
Apr 19, 2:40 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.