Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
Oct 26, 2017 8:36 PM

Apr 2017
I quite liked the movie. It was intense and adapted well.
Oct 31, 2017 3:13 PM

Jul 2013
Wow, It was Rumi who went crazy but she cried after the rape scene so I think that broke her as she said she didn't want her to do scenes like that and I guess why she took on the pop idol persona of Mima.
Dec 28, 2017 10:53 PM

Sep 2013
Wrapped up a bit more neatly than I would have expected.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Jan 26, 2018 8:53 PM

May 2010
Wow, just... wow.

The best anime movie I've seen up until now - during the third act I could barely breathe, so much intense stuff was going on! Mystery was perfect - hints and clues were all there, so if you were careful enough (and, perhaps, if you've seen waaay too many psychological thrillers, just like me) you should have been able to solve it. And yet, at the same time, it was nowhere near being obvious. I doubt it could be improved in any way!

Probably the best anime tagged with "dementia" I've seen so far. There were plenty of mind-blowing scenes, chronological order was all over the place... but somehow it wasn't annoyingly hard to follow or even understand. For me, it wasn't just watching a movie, it was an actual experience. I'm sure I'll be rewatching this many times in the future... Right now I'm pretty much speechless - one of very few movies I'm willing to rate 10/10.
Mar 19, 2018 12:26 PM

Oct 2010
Was expecting the murders to be fake and imagined by Mima, the reveal at the end that Rumi was pretending to be Mima was a twist that explained things way better than I could have expected. The FAKE scene where Mima was “delusional” about being an idol/actress followed by a repeat of the REAL scene where Mima was acting as a character who was delusional about being her model sister was really good.

9/10, great movie but the rape scenes were too uncomfortable for me
Mar 29, 2018 2:39 PM

Sep 2016
Savage1 said:
wow... Once you understand this film... your mind = blown...

Great film, one of the few anime's that left me shocked, mouth agape at the sheer awesomeness that is present...
hell yea perfect blue ill definitely remember this anime as the years come to pass, i came from love live more of the new gen school idols and after watching that it made me love idols and enjoy what they have to offer, i never knew perfect blue was about idols until someone mentioned it to me so i gave it a go and it was fantastic mima didnt deserve all that poor treatment she was getting from the industry going on the dark side of what its like gave me the creeps that weird ass guy needed his ass beat same with all those industry freaks also that damn manager she turned out to be a damn snake and tried to kill her. I love the realism factor and slice of life element perfect blue brings to the table im still wondering if the manager killed that stalker and the male co manager i got a high feeling of it but man mima suffering from some schizophrenia issues was hard to see i was hoping it didnt affect her work during those times she really needed someone to be there for her tch i wish i was it was sad to see but im soo glad she began recovering and finally got the issues out of the way perfect blue was a great ride would def reccomend.
Facta Non Verba
Apr 5, 2018 4:08 PM

Jul 2011
I rewatched this while ago after years, I remember my first time watch years ago I watched it middle of the night (rewatch was during day), my heart was going explode (scary and mindblow as anything seen before)

But now after I've started read manga called "Dead tube", rewatching perfect blue felt like just generic thriller, and not scary at all :D

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
Aug 14, 2018 11:12 PM

Feb 2017
Anyone who enjoyed the mindfuck elements should seek out films by David Lynch. In particular, Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire have close resemblance to the themes, narrative, and execution of Perfect Blue.
Aug 24, 2018 7:43 PM

Apr 2018
Overated af

-The manager and the fan had more building up for their actions and states of minds than the main character did but still most of her actions and mind states even tho had barely any building up for them made sens
-The movie thinks that putting as much disturbing things as they can will make the movie scary for some reason
-the movie was made to be as confusing as it is for the sake of it being confusing rather than making it confusing just enough to make it symbolise the confusion of our main character and it wasn't even done well
-the movie fails at being scary and fails at making me feel any type of intense feelings exept for the "rape" scene which was great in term of representing the states of different characters but they over did it thinking that it gonna make the movie scarier for some reason
-liked the art
-red
-the concept is good

Would have been a great 10 eps anime tho
AkerakaiAug 24, 2018 7:52 PM
Sep 6, 2018 6:12 PM

Dec 2014
Just went to a nearby showing, holy shit!

That was crazy as hell, I never suspected Rumi for anything at all and those twists at the end. Which parts of this were real? Which parts were illusions? Goddamn, I feel like what happened can be interpreted in so many different ways. X.X

It was a pretty heavy movie if not disturbing, I went with two of my friends and I don't think they liked it so I couldn't really talk about it much after the showing but damn, that was intense.

Me during the final hour of the movie 'O.O'.

8/10
Sep 18, 2018 9:07 AM

Jul 2013
This show really got me thinking hard. The mind games between distinguishing what was reality and illusion was really amazing. This is psychological thriller done right.

From what I could get, it was mentioned that Rumi herself was once a pop idol or more accurately a failed pop idol when they were having a conversation with that guy who manages Mima's acting career. My theory is she might have been raped as a pop idol in the past and seeing the rape scene in the drama set her off or she was trying to relive her past in Mima but seeing her stray away from her idealized image broke her sanity.

Anyway

Dull_LullSep 18, 2018 10:22 AM
Sep 21, 2018 10:07 AM

Jan 2011
Interesting, but I still think even the developers got confused at some point.
supreme master of the godtaste
Sep 28, 2018 11:43 AM
Jul 2018
I honestly got to say, I was completely ambushed mentally and this movie gave a very big ''AHA'' moment when the puzzles started to get together.

Highly recommend it, quite confusing, so might need to watch it two times.

/RealPsymon
Oct 4, 2018 1:00 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
I'm not into horror at all but damn Satoshi you always get me everytime. The transitions were fucking on point but the star of the movie was the ost, it gave me chills at every turn of the frame. And of course like most of his work, the framing device of film and psychology give his hallmarks true highlight. I can't wait to rewatch this knowing the play out.

I remember trying to watch this about 8 years ago and having no interest. Immature me ha.

Oct 28, 2018 12:43 PM

Jun 2016
Am I the only one who thought it was a movie within a movie?
I need to re-watch it I guess.
The reason I think this is because the scene where the guy pretending to be murdered gets up. It makes me think there was actually no true murder, it was apart of one big film. I think the only true part that wasnt being filmed was the ending, because Mima's expression/personality was drastically different than the rest of the movie.
Dec 12, 2018 9:55 AM
Oct 2015
I liked this movie. It did play with my mind several times.
I can easily relate this movie to the Hollywood classics like Mulholland Drive and Black Swan(The movie was actually inspired by Perfect Blue. Director Darren Aronofsky bought the copyrights and it even influenced the bathtub scene in his 2000 film Requiem for a Dream.), having a female protagonist facing mental trauma and loss of identity.

Personally, I would like to watch a live-action remake of this cult classic anime, if either Natalie Portman or Jennifer Lawrence portrays the main character.
OphiomorphosDec 13, 2018 1:15 AM
Feb 15, 2019 9:30 AM
Jan 2017
im still not get it the plot,, is the rumi san is only delussion in mima eye or what?
Feb 15, 2019 11:51 AM

Dec 2015
@x2kill4 ?
Rumi exists. She was Mima's assistant the whole film long.

Was it clear enough?

@CodeBlazeFate I wanted to call you to explain things in a better way (and english) than I did. Then I realized that you never watched it...

April 30, 2019
@shirlulu07 What? Do you mean the TV or cinema (I forgot) rape scene she acted in?
Rei_IIIApr 29, 2019 3:03 PM
Feb 15, 2019 2:20 PM
Jan 2017
Rei366 said:
@x2kill4 ?

Was it clear enough?

@CodeBlazeFate SI wanted to call you to explain things in a better way (and english) than I did. Then I realized that you never watched it...
Rei366 said:
@x2kill4 ?

Was it clear enough?

@CodeBlazeFate SI wanted to call you to explain things in a better way (and english) than I did. Then I realized that you never watched it...
yea
Rei366 said:
@x2kill4 ?

Was it clear enough?

h,, now i see.. thanks man
Feb 23, 2019 3:28 PM

Aug 2017
Well, I was mindfucked by the movie but now that I rewatched some scenes, it makes more sense. The only thing that make no sense is Remi jumping during the chase scene but nevermind.

9/10 for the anime.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Mar 2, 2019 1:22 PM

Dec 2016
Ok that was purely amazing, the plot twists and mind fucks blown my mind.
I'll take the time to read the comments tomorrow to understand what was going on to make sure i didn't misunderstood anything. 21 years later this anime is just amazing, 9/10
Signature removed. Please have a positive iq.
Mar 30, 2019 1:30 AM

Jun 2015
holy.. i was mouth open, wide eyed in that entire twist it took. entirely confused at first but when i got it, it clicked and it's a genius idea. the use of colors and cinematography put into this flows so well with the story that it's terrifyingly great.
Mar 30, 2019 4:26 PM

May 2016
Really fucked up plot but guess people like these kinda stuff, well this was not good for me, kinda sucks that the one she trusted was the bad guy. 4/10
Apr 29, 2019 4:41 AM
Apr 2017
Just a quick question. Is mima really rape or is just act and imagination? Thanks for answering😊
May 7, 2019 7:50 AM

May 2010
Of course the closest one is the final boss and the obvious one is the mid-boss but for a 20 years old movie, it is amazing.
May 28, 2019 5:21 AM
May 2019
While story was good and all. What really make this movie stand out to me was Kon's direction, music and editing. Without superb editing and direction, it wouldn't have much impact. One example of this through out the movie is amazing use of mirrors and how they interact with Mima. Also music really set the mood for this movie. It blend perfectly with it.
Jun 17, 2019 5:01 PM

Jul 2016
Best Anime movie of all time.
Oct 21, 2019 10:54 PM

Jan 2009
wow i enjoyed this as much as Paprika

so Rumi is the real murderer and have split/multiple personality disorder eh while Mima is just hallucinating like schizophrenic then

schizophrenia and split/multiple personality disorder are different
Nov 2, 2019 5:36 PM

Feb 2012
A real thrill rewatching this again 4 years on.

The ultimate realization of who the antagonist is interesting:

I really like the mutually fictional drama Mima's acting in and it paralleling her "reality".

Interesting trivia:

The plot of the drama Mima stars in mentions a serial killer taking womens' skins so he can become one, just like Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs.

Mima is also compared to actress Jodie Foster who stars as Clarice Starling in Silence of the Lambs.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Nov 3, 2019 1:20 AM

Dec 2015
Fortress_Maximus said:
The drama Mima stars in mentions a serial killer taking womens' skins so he can become one, just like Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs.

The novel Mima-nia is a serial-killer trying to make the "true" Mima come back by removing his skin in order to take Mima's on (of course, he fails, looking like a meat Terminator chasing her).
Nov 26, 2019 10:29 PM

Nov 2019
Watched this recently and I gotta say it was pretty crazy. I was so confused by the end of it, even I couldn't tell what was real. It's one of those films you need to watch several times to fully appreciate
Nov 28, 2019 4:22 AM

Oct 2019
crucial99 said:
Watched this recently and I gotta say it was pretty crazy. I was so confused by the end of it, even I couldn't tell what was real. It's one of those films you need to watch several times to fully appreciate

Agreed. Once I'm done with my challenge, I'll come back and re-watch this, probably learn to appreciate it even more. Which is a lot coming from me, I already gave it a pretty high mark!
Nov 28, 2019 4:27 AM

Oct 2019
What's to fear more, the threat posed by others or that caused by your own insanity? One of the better horror fictions I've watched this month, gave me similar vibes to When They Cry. Could this win the challenge? 9/10 for its brilliance.
Dec 14, 2019 4:34 PM

Feb 2009
Finally watched this after seeing countless of Manga video trailers back in the vhs era.
The movie was very good, but I saw the whole Rumi twist from a mile away. Like in the start of the film when she gave a particular look to Mima and starts acting weird (crying) after Mima's decision to do the rape scene. After that I kept my eye on Rumi, and I was right. Crazy how they don't do nude scenes anymore on anime, this movie in my opinion let's you know how the artistic value on anime nowadays is almost dead, feels like there is no more creative freedom to tell a story. In all honestly I wasn't mind blown by this movie but still i'm processing some stuff like art, animation, story, music, etc., cause it' was very well done. Overall this was a solid movie, tho predictable but creative and unique.
Dec 24, 2019 1:16 PM

Nov 2016
Really compelling movie that grabbed me from the very start.

8.5/10

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 9, 2020 12:16 AM
Nov 2015
i'll be honest this movie gave me multiple confused & guilty boners.

still, what an amazing movie. the message was very strong & clear, maybe even a little bit of an overkill or overemphasized, but yeah, some people were still confused about what really happened & even worse, some people took the wrong message.

it's not about the mental illnesses, let alone the plot twist.
it's way too superficial to think about it that way. so yeah, you're missing out if you think about it that way.

this isn't simply an anime. this is a full-fledged cinema.
too bad Satoshi Kon left us too early...
Mar 14, 2020 4:34 PM

Mar 2012
A bit lackluster until the delusions began. Once the delusions began and the twist of Rumi being the killer was revealed the story became more interesting.

Still, I don't understand how the hell Rumi was able to keep up with Mima while she was trying to escape. That is one athletic big lass.
Mar 19, 2020 11:08 AM

Aug 2008
An intense & multilayer anime I'm sure I'll understand better with lsd
Apr 1, 2020 12:46 AM

Aug 2012
It's been a few days since I've seen the movie, so I'm not going to be really articulate here. It's kind of hard to parse my feelings towards this, so I'll just state I loved the Rumi twist, it's an example of the perfect kind of twist. I never once considered it but the second I pieced it together (about the same time as Mima did tbh) it made perfect sense and I questioned how I never thought about it. That's how twists should be, ideally you won't see them coming but it'll be obvious in hindsight. The movie did such a good job of playing with me, that I was honestly starting to believe Me-Mania might've just been a part of her delusions, and that Mima was the culprit in the murders, they played me like a fiddle and I loved it.
Apr 5, 2020 10:03 PM

Dec 2018
Wow, an instant masterpiece, 10/10. My heart was racing throughout the whole movie and consecutively losing my mind and when the ultimate reveal happened, I had a seizure. Thank god I've seen Satoshi Kon's Paranoia Agent before(and loved it), I was able to understand his directing style from the get-go and not get lost, but obviously the second half is made to get us lost and it did, but it all clipped together with Rumi's reveal. I did find it strange early on when she sort of disappeared from the movie after leaving the rape shooting scene and suddenly appears at the end. Again, the reveal hit me with a truck.

Mima going through all that mind-numbing shit was beyond disturbing, to the very end. I actually shed a few tears on the city panning shot when everything stopped after saving Rumi. I can't wait to rewatch this sometime later.
May 23, 2020 12:10 PM

Dec 2012
I think the one killed all of people that tained mima's image is security dude.. while the one killed security guy are the real mima...i dont see why rumi killed this guy because this dude didnt do anything to destroy mima's image... but this is self defence, so mima didnt go to prison..
What i dont understand is the conversation of the girl and detective..how mima make everthing happened in real life are happened in her drama..so is the rape really happened to her?
And i think rumi take mima's persona after the rape scene, she gone somewhere while crying there...

Lastly this my answer for confusing scene everyone asking,
We must take a note that mima cant differentite her real action that happened that day after reading website, thats why there are some similar scene keep repeating...one is real and the other is her imagination based on web....
xiMiiMay 23, 2020 12:49 PM
May 24, 2020 4:25 AM

Mar 2020
never would have guessed it was Rumi, the entire time I thought Mia had split personality disorder. When I saw the detective scene where they talk about that I thought it was some sort of a hint right there
“Life is a constant process of dying.”
Jun 16, 2020 7:48 AM

Feb 2020
Wow that was one of the most confusing movies I've ever seen. But it's one of the few exemples were the confusing part is done right.
Can't say I fully understand what happened though... Who was who at the end ? Rumi was the one behind that fake, ghost-like Mima ? Because she couldn't stand seeing Mima changing like that... I guess ? And she also was the weird stalker ? But there were some scenes where Rumi being the fake Mima doesn't really make sense, since no one aside from Mima could see her... Not to mention how she sometimes appeared in glass reflection.
Unless the Mima we were following has always been Rumi ? ...Nah, it doesn't make sense. We were following Mima, but was she also insane or not ? What was real and what wasn't ?
Argh, that's so confusing !
But well, that's the point I guess. Aside from the extremely confusing story, I loved this movie. I've noticed many themes and all of them were greatly explored, much better than in most shows. One of my favorite parts was Mima's whole reaction to the rape scene. How she just made it look like she didn't care due to being an actress even though she actually truly suffered from it... It reallly nakes me think about how we always say that actors should be able to do anything as it is their job to play a character, but actually, where's the limit ? It's something this whole scene really made me think about and that's actually what I love the most about this movie, how it makes me think about very important stuff. And I also love the whole imagery and cinematography, how everything is made to erase the line between reality and illusion and consequently makes you feel what the heroine feels.
And as someone who loves to look for symbolisms in cinematography, it makes me really happy.
I can't say I'll rewatch this movie anytime soon because it is a very difficult one to watch, but I'm planning on rewatching some scenes to understand everything better and read/listen to analysis very soon. It's really frustrating not to understand everything as I'm probably missing out on a lot of important messages.
But I give this movie a 10/10 of course. I can't think of any flaw (I mean, there's obviously a few little flaws, but I didn't notice them and it's not important), even the confusing part is on purpose so really, even if I can't really call it one of my favorite movies, I see it as a real masterpiece.
FafetteJun 16, 2020 2:25 PM
Jun 16, 2020 11:25 AM

Dec 2015
@Fafette Pretty simple:
- the stalker was the stalker (Miima-niac ?), already delusional on his own but...
- Rumi was the threatening person (persuading the stalker and using him, through electronic correspondence),
- Mima had troubles coming to term with her decisions/new start (even more thanks to the pressure of the dangerous events), thus the "spectral Mima",
- at the end, the superposition is a directing idea to represent Rumi's delusions and Mima's .

Simple. ^^ (I know the film's toying with levels of reality but I actually have more troubles finding what could cause the audience's confusion, did you watch it as a film or made it through on several days?)

AbiSa said:
Oh man, why was the Rape scene so LONG? It was so uncomfortable!

Making the question AND the answer? I LOVE this scene, it's a fiction in a fiction and yet works so much better than a simple rape scene in other fictions. Maybe IЯЯƎVƎЯSIBLƎ's 20minutes scene is better though? Can't say, I can't tolerate the cinema of Gaspard Noé...
Also, if you are interested, there's an interview out there where Kon talks about some regrets around that scene.
@AbiSa I meant a written one. I found either a translation or an article using partial translations of it on the Internet a few months ago. Sorry I didn't keep a trace of it. The website also featured pages on Kon's favourite films list, and his pre-death words.

@cjessop19_ The stalker is real. He was instrumental in terrorizing Mima, thanks to Rumi's "Mima diary" website and probably some private communications between them (unless this part was his imagination).
Rei_IIIOct 11, 2020 11:55 AM
Jun 16, 2020 12:35 PM

Feb 2020
Rei_III said:
@Fafette Pretty simple:
- the stalker was the stalker (Miima-niac ?), already delusional on his own but...
- Rumi was the threatening person (persuading the stalker and using him, through electronic correspondence),
- Mima had troubles coming to term with her decisions/new start (even more thanks to the pressure of the dangerous events), thus the "spectral Mima",
- at the end, the superposition is a directing idea to represent Rumi's delusions and Mima's .

Simple. ^^ (I know the film's toying with levels of reality but I actually have more troubles finding what could cause the audience's confusion, did you watch it as a film or made it through on several days?)

PS: I'm not trying to insult you.

Thanks for explaining ! I was starting to figure it out while rewatching some scenes but I'm glad to get the actual confirmation.

I watched it as a film, but I think I can explain what caused my confusion. It started blurring the lines between reality and illusion so strongly that everything I was taking for granted got questioned at one point or another and anytime I thought I understood what was going on, something told me I actually didn't (which, as confusing as it is, is something I really like as it helped me sympathise with Mima). At the end, the Rumi twist caught me so much off-guard that I had to rethink everything I was starting to understand, I jist didn't at all think about Rumi having something to do with all this mess, and adding this to my already confused view of the movie led me to get completely lost.
And when I watch a complex movie like this one, I always have a hard time remembering everything during my viewing, it just gradually comes back to my mind afterwards. Consequently I missed out important details that explained the Rumi twist.

Also, you don't sound insulting, don't worry !
Jun 19, 2020 9:09 PM

Jan 2014
this was really good! a mindfuck for sure, but i found it less confusing than paprika. the comments here have given me good insight tho, i was so taken aback by the rumi twist i missed a lot of details lol. 8/10 i'm thinking
Jul 27, 2020 7:04 PM

Apr 2020
Oh man, why was the Rape scene so LONG! It was so uncomfortable and seeing the people in the movie react to that was so AAAAH! MINDFUCK!
--AbiSa--
Jul 28, 2020 4:28 AM

Apr 2020
Rei_III said:
@Fafette Pretty simple:

AbiSa said:
Oh man, why was the Rape scene so LONG? It was so uncomfortable!

Making the question AND the answer? I LOVE this scene, it's a fiction in a fiction and yet works so much better than a simple rape scene in other fictions. Maybe IЯЯƎVƎЯSIBLƎ's 20minutes scene is better though? Can't say, I can't tolerate the cinema of Gaspard Noé...
Also, if you are interested, there's an interview out there where Kon talks about some regrets around that scene.

Is it on Youtube? I really want to see what Kon thinks of his own work
--AbiSa--
Aug 1, 2020 5:56 AM

Aug 2018
What an amazing and mind confusing film. The way it plays with your mind and makes you expect that something serious will happen during the scenes. This film doesn't even have horror genre on it yet it is scarier than most animated films out there. Satoshi Kon really is something else when it comes to directing and writing anime movies and this film is the first one I've seen from him. I really can't wait to see what else he managed to make but this one will definitely be something memorable and a little creepy. I'd say this film has some small flaws but besides that the madness factor is on point and manages to deliver a very powerful psychological effect to a viewer.

I rate this 8.6/10
Sep 1, 2020 4:09 AM

Aug 2020
What a plot twist,such a great movie:)
9/10

Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »

More topics from this board

» Few confusing that i don't understand HELP ME, if you didn't watched it plz go away I'm sure it be fully spoilers

MadSonic - Feb 18

21 by hi777 »»
Apr 15, 9:16 PM

» Great movie... but suffered through the entire thing

BustedBayou - Jan 4

17 by Feitan_exe »»
Mar 1, 10:29 PM

» Confused

R1NN_ - Jul 4, 2023

22 by HansDevX »»
Dec 13, 2023 7:20 PM

» Recommendations like this movie with THOSE scenes

SadikTD - Apr 30, 2023

8 by arrianne311 »»
Sep 20, 2023 12:41 PM

» Just saw Perfect Blue in theaters

Phlaryx - Sep 6, 2018

11 by yagakimilover »»
Sep 10, 2023 5:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.