Forum Settings
Forums

What Constitutes A "Masterpiece" for You? • A Discussion About Styles and Applications of Storytelling?

New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Sep 16, 2015 1:05 AM

Sep 2014
typical biased mikasa thread, despite great majority believing FMA:B to be better ofc it's not in the poll

anyway, none of these (nor FMA:B) are masterpieces in my view

what I consider to be masterpieces are anime that:
-are very engaging and exciting, boredom is one thing in anime I simply never forgive
-have great cast I love/care for a lot
-should be good not only at the story and characters, but also at more 'technical' aspects such as the artstyle, animation and soundtrack
-flaws should be either non existent, or for one reason or another, they shoud not bother me at all

so far there are 4 things I have rated 10/10: Kill la Kill, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, The End of Evangelion and Macross: Do You Remember Love?
Sep 16, 2015 1:18 AM

Mar 2012
Valaskjalf said:
If I almost never got bored of the anime, it's a masterpiece. It's an achievement in itself to keep me interested in something.

That's a very boring reason. Please don't bore us with it again.

Donger_Senpai said:
mushishi is my favorite out of all of those but going by mal's definition it is not a masterpiece. So, none.

What's your definition? What makes mushi a masterpiece?

Gymkata said:
I put off watching Ping Pong for months because...ping pong o_O Maybe the best shock of my life.

What's good about it?
End Zionazism
Sep 16, 2015 4:02 AM
Aug 2014
I believe the monogatari series as a whole so far should be considered a masterpiece. Second for me would be Berserk and Evengelion so far based on what I've watched. I wish mahou shoujo madoka magica made it in the list
Sep 16, 2015 4:08 AM

Jun 2014
What's with the lack of choices? Are you stating these only warrant a choice in the pool when there are heaps of hidden gems..
All credit goes to Sacred.
Sep 16, 2015 5:19 AM

Jan 2011
XxFinalSusanooXx said:
I'm surprised no one voted FMA....

Too many flaws to be a masterpiece, the idea is there though. FMAB is more flawless yet I wouldn't consider it close to a masterpiece.
Sep 16, 2015 5:44 AM

Aug 2014
Imaishi said:
what I consider to be masterpieces are anime that:
-are very engaging and exciting, boredom is one thing in anime I simply never forgive
-have great cast I love/care for a lot
-should be good not only at the story and characters, but also at more 'technical' aspects such as the artstyle, animation and soundtrack

This.
Sep 16, 2015 5:58 AM

Mar 2012
A really good show I guess?

I don't know. I don't just have a set of criteria that all shows have to follow for me to like them.
Sep 16, 2015 8:56 AM

Mar 2012
ShiroiMuffler said:
XxFinalSusanooXx said:
I'm surprised no one voted FMA....

Too many flaws to be a masterpiece, the idea is there though. FMAB is more flawless yet I wouldn't consider it close to a masterpiece.
O
Not really, FMA had less flaws and more praise as a masterpiece based on more objective terms. FMAB is praised for being "faithful" first and foremost and secondly for the fights being many. Neither merit a title of this magnitude

FireEmblemIke24 said:
What's with the lack of choices? Are you stating these only warrant a choice in the pool when there are heaps of hidden gems..
These shows are the respective shows considered masterpieces in their respective genre or overall.
These are the ones that more or less presented something(s) great to the industry objectively
End Zionazism
Sep 16, 2015 8:58 AM

Dec 2012
Dat restrictive poll fuck you op.

I don't watch as much anime as before...
Sep 16, 2015 9:01 AM

Mar 2012
Infatuate said:
Dat restrictive poll fuck you op.

What show should be added? Explain why it's a masterpiece and what makes it a masterpiece

I added NGe upon request but nobody explained to me WHATS GOOD ABOUT IT
End Zionazism
Sep 16, 2015 9:07 AM

Jun 2014
Mikasa said:

FireEmblemIke24 said:
These shows are the respective shows considered masterpieces in their respective genre or overall.
These are the ones that more or less presented something(s) great to the industry objectively

Then going by your logic, the only that really benefited the industry and its genre was NGE which was pretty much instrumental to the anime boom. That objectively is still something you need to refrain from dishing out casually, as you can also argue what those series didn't present or should have in terms of storytelling.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Sep 16, 2015 12:18 PM

Mar 2012
FireEmblemIke24 said:
Mikasa said:

Then going by your logic, the only that really benefited the industry and its genre was NGE which was pretty much instrumental to the anime boom. That objectively is still something you need to refrain from dishing out casually, as you can also argue what those series didn't present or should have in terms of storytelling.

It's not about "popularization" but rather bringing new ideas OR having outstanding storytelling
End Zionazism
Sep 16, 2015 5:55 PM

Jan 2011
Mikasa said:
O
Not really, FMA had less flaws and more praise as a masterpiece based on more objective terms. FMAB is praised for being "faithful" first and foremost and secondly for the fights being many. Neither merit a title of this magnitude

This forum has sadly managed to convince me of the flaws/plotholes of FMA, I'd have to rewatch to be able to make a clear call on that. The flaws did not bother me and I think they are not not that bad as people tend to make them.

I don't think we have the definition of "flaw", imo FMAB definitely has less flaws, but that's because it went easy on everything and just went for the standard fairy tale, the story did nothing wrong, but it was nothing special, just a really well-executed plot. FMA went a little crazy but not without its shortcomings.
Sep 16, 2015 8:31 PM

May 2014
In terms of just Storytelling, I would go for Baccano!. Its style of storytelling was downright amazing for me.

If we look at realism, Monster is no doubt my choice.

When you look at the characters, Hunter x Hunter was probably the best at developing it's characters out of the choices in the list.

For Animation and Art, Fate/Zero, no competition.

As for the FMA vs FMAB debate, I'd say that FMA definitely had more flaws, but it also took a lot more risks, and some of those risks paid off. On the other hand, FMAB plays it completely safe, completing a near perfect adaptation of the well-received manga.

Without dragging this overboard, I'd just say the FMAB is objectively the best show out there. But if we're talking masterpiece my opinion would be the Kara no Kyoukai films. But since that's not on the list I'll go with HxH.

P.S. Put in a option for "other" in the poll. A lot of people will disagree with all the anime on the list.
"You either die an Ashita no Joe, or you live long enough to see yourself become a Naruto."
Sep 16, 2015 8:35 PM

Jun 2014
Aria the Origination is a masterpiece because its a perfect sequel, at the time had a flawless ending, the art looked great and was visually stunning, perfect set of characters, better than any tv show I've seen, each scene dragged me deeper into the world of Aria and left me speechless.

Aria is PERFECT.
Sep 17, 2015 1:28 AM

Mar 2012
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Aria the Origination is a masterpiece because its a perfect sequel, at the time had a flawless ending, the art looked great and was visually stunning, perfect set of characters, better than any tv show I've seen, each scene dragged me deeper into the world of Aria and left me speechless.

Aria is PERFECT.

Be more specific please.
LPGeneratorx said:
In terms of just Storytelling, I would go for Baccano!. Its style of storytelling was downright amazing for me.

If we look at realism, Monster is no doubt my choice.

When you look at the characters, Hunter x Hunter was probably the best at developing it's characters out of the choices in the list.

For Animation and Art, Fate/Zero, no competition.

As for the FMA vs FMAB debate, I'd say that FMA definitely had more flaws, but it also took a lot more risks, and some of those risks paid off. On the other hand, FMAB plays it completely safe, completing a near perfect adaptation of the well-received manga.

Without dragging this overboard, I'd just say the FMAB is objectively the best show out there. But if we're talking masterpiece my opinion would be the Kara no Kyoukai films. But since that's not on the list I'll go with HxH.

P.S. Put in a option for "other" in the poll. A lot of people will disagree with all the anime on the list.

Not really. Even with more risks it still had less flaws.

The first third of fmab was rushed. The only good part of the manga = ruined. Adapting the rest of the manga Which was mediocre was a bad idea.
Secon third = filler
Last third = generic shonen affair.

Not good or masterful by any means
End Zionazism
Sep 17, 2015 8:14 AM

Jul 2015
No psycho pass on this poll? About the only up to scratch anime I 've watched.
Sep 17, 2015 10:35 AM

Mar 2015
-this-is-the-end said:
No psycho pass on this poll? About the only up to scratch anime I 've watched.

You haven't watched much.
Sep 17, 2015 11:04 AM

Dec 2013
I don't know, it's all very subjective, sometimes you can't even tell exactly why you love a particular anime more than others, sometimes you just do.

But generally, a show that is wide and vast in terms of world builing and its creation as the show progresses, that manages to invoke this curiousity and adventurous feel in me, these shows are usually the ones to be thought as masterpieces by me. Examples are of course nr. 1 SSY, FMA, HxH and SnK. That is probably the only thing that is a bit more consistent in my perception of really great or masterpiece shows. All other shows that I think of masterpieces have no clear relation.
Sep 17, 2015 11:06 AM

Feb 2015
Mikasa said:
Generally speaking though, FMAB gets more praise in proportion to FMA 2003. I know there are those who prefer the original, but the very fact that FMAB is the number one ranked anime should mean that it should get a place in the poll.
Sep 17, 2015 11:09 AM

Mar 2012
TheRefractingOne said:
Mikasa said:
Generally speaking though, FMAB gets more praise in proportion to FMA 2003. I know there are those who prefer the original, but the very fact that FMAB is the number one ranked anime should mean that it should get a place in the poll.

All of the praise Bh gets is for invalid points such as faithfulness. Any praise for something that is not inherently good or bad is invalid.
End Zionazism
Sep 17, 2015 11:14 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Where's the 'none' option in the poll? Well I guess I could say Death Note but only for the first manga half/25 anime eps if so

Anyway there is no specific criteria that needs to be fulfilled to be considered a masterpiece other than it being top tier as far as enjoyment goes in some shape or form, regardless of reason

That's about as much as you can generalize it
Sep 17, 2015 11:16 AM

Sep 2014
Mikasa said:
TheRefractingOne said:

All of the praise Bh gets is for invalid points such as faithfulness. Any praise for something that is not inherently good or bad is invalid.

Bullshit. Majority of people who watched it and loved it didn't even read the manga and they wouldn't care. Me included.
Vast majority of people believe FMA:B to be better, not without a reason it's ranked high on any anime top list. You should learn to accept not everyone shares the same opinion as yours, or people won't care to have a discussion with you.
Sep 17, 2015 11:16 AM

Oct 2011
OP is trying to peddle his bullshit by seeing how many people can say Hunter x Hunter is a masterpiece. Get off Togashi's balls for god's sake.
Sep 17, 2015 11:17 AM

Mar 2012
Gotta say I did not expect Death Note or SSY to beat Logh and Eva, nor Bakemonogatari beating Mushishi so easily, I guess people root for flashinesss and style in terms of excellent visuals.
End Zionazism
Sep 17, 2015 11:18 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Mikasa said:
Gotta say I did not expect Death Note or SSY to beat Logh and Eva, nor Bakemonogatari beating Mushishi so easily, I guess people root for flashinesss and style in terms of excellent visuals.
...popularity?
Sep 17, 2015 11:18 AM

Mar 2012
Gov said:
OP is trying to peddle his bullshit by seeing how many people can say Hunter x Hunter is a masterpiece. Get off Togashi's balls for god's sake.

I voted SSY :)

Imaishi said:
Mikasa said:

Bullshit. Majority of people who watched it and loved it didn't even read the manga and they wouldn't care. Me included.
Vast majority of people believe FMA:B to be better, not without a reason it's ranked high on any anime top list. You should learn to accept not everyone shares the same opinion as yours, or people won't care to have a discussion with you.

Nobody said they read it. That's even kess valid. Just KNOWING it is more faithful made them biased.
But in a real mature discussion FMA has more almost everytime as I can testify.
End Zionazism
Sep 17, 2015 11:29 AM

Sep 2014
Mikasa said:
Gov said:

Imaishi said:

Nobody said they read it. That's even kess valid. Just KNOWING it is more faithful made them biased.

I have hard time imagining you having a mature discussion, not with the way you 'discuss' things on MAL.
You're just generalizing based on what you read from few people.

Anyway, the sole fact it's #1 on MAL should be the reason to include it in the poll. I bet you just don't want to see it getting surpassing your favourite tenfold.
Sep 17, 2015 11:34 AM

Mar 2012
Again, we're not discussing popularity. You could have named reasons BH revolutionised storytelling instead.
End Zionazism
Sep 17, 2015 11:37 AM

Sep 2014
I don't think it revolutionised storytelling in any way, though, why would I do that?
Sep 17, 2015 11:58 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
How revolutionary something is isn't necessarily related to how much you like it anyway
Sep 17, 2015 12:22 PM

Oct 2012
Mikasa said:
Again, we're not discussing popularity. You could have named reasons BH revolutionised storytelling instead.

Why should he? Why don't you give an indepth analysis on why the original is better. I'm not talking vocal minority or majority here but the cold hard numbers state an obvious favoritablity towards Brotherhood. Thus, Your opinion would be in the minority based on statistics, thus, you should be the one defending YOUR opinion.

Also, Nice 1's across the board for Gintama. I bet you didn't even watch the show, or the concept of comedy is foreign to you.
Sep 17, 2015 12:58 PM

Jan 2015
Mushishi is always a masterpiece
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Sep 17, 2015 1:48 PM

Mar 2012
FontSize72LOL said:
Mikasa said:

Why should he? Why don't you give an indepth analysis on why the original is better. I'm not talking vocal minority or majority here but the cold hard numbers state an obvious favoritablity towards Brotherhood. Thus, Your opinion would be in the minority based on statistics, thus, you should be the one defending YOUR opinion.

Also, Nice 1's across the board for Gintama. I bet you didn't even watch the show, or the concept of comedy is foreign to you.

Burden of proof. Right now he'strying ti defend the show not being allegedly praised just for faithfulness. He has failed.

Anyway, I added it so whatever.

HaXXspetten said:
How revolutionary something is isn't necessarily related to how much you like it anyway

Revolutionary in story, yes it is.
End Zionazism
Sep 17, 2015 1:54 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Mikasa said:
HaXXspetten said:

What? Just because something is the first of its sort doesn't mean it's amazing, that's stupid as shit
Sep 17, 2015 2:27 PM

Apr 2014
Biased poll is biased.

Each type of storytelling had different values to different people, I'm not talking about subjectivity but more about what a shows has to offer and how they pull it off.

Why there's no comedic/ecchi/romance based anime in the poll? it's just simply because Mikasa think that those kind of anime is shallow and had lower value than the kind of show in the poll.
While in fact, every story had its own difficulties to pull, making people laugh with a comedy, aroused with a ecchi scene, and gave a mixed feeling to the viewers with a drama is not something that anyone can pull.

So, I choose none of the poll above.
Sep 17, 2015 2:30 PM

Jul 2013
tr1ckst3r said:
Why there's no comedic/ecchi/romance based anime in the poll? it's just simply because Mikasa think that those kind of anime is shallow and had lower value than the kind of show in the poll.

Bakemonogatari?
Sep 17, 2015 2:35 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Kruzy said:
tr1ckst3r said:

Bakemonogatari?
tbf comedy & ecchi is more Nise territory but close enough
Sep 17, 2015 2:39 PM

Sep 2014
Mikasa said:

Burden of proof. Right now he'strying ti defend the show not being allegedly praised just for faithfulness. He has failed.

Maybe first try to back up your baseless claim yourself? As always talking out of your ass. Look at any review and see there is tons more things it's praised for other than faithfulness.

Mikasa said:

HaXXspetten said:

[/quote]

Shinsekai Yori is more revolutionary than Toradora
I like Toradora more than Shinsekai Yori
Disproved.
Sep 17, 2015 2:50 PM

Mar 2015
Mikasa said:
HaXXspetten said:
gintama is revolution of shounen genre. it forcing the shounen regulation until it's limit, make parody is like nothing without no one have brave to do as same as they do, even critics real live events. it has an arc about prostitution in average shounen. you still hated it thou
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Sep 17, 2015 7:24 PM

Jan 2011
Imaishi said:
Mikasa said:

I have hard time imagining you having a mature discussion, not with the way you 'discuss' things on MAL.

Anyway, the sole fact it's #1 on MAL should be the reason to include it in the poll. I bet you just don't want to see it getting surpassing your favourite tenfold.

A masterpiece needs to go beyond having all the good elements, but FMAB is certainly top 1 to top 5 in terms of overall quality, but the fact that not many consider is a masterpiece is makes me skeptical about that #1
Sep 17, 2015 8:30 PM

Apr 2015
Fate/Zero, Bake, EVANGELION!
Sep 17, 2015 8:35 PM

May 2012
Imaishi said:
Mikasa said:

But you don't accept anyone else's opinion either.
Sep 17, 2015 10:44 PM

Mar 2014
I wouldn't call any of the shows in the poll a masterpiece except maybe Fullmetal Alchemist brotherhood.
Sep 17, 2015 10:54 PM

Jun 2014
FMAB, Akame ga Kill, Big 3, Fairy Tail and the like

What the hell is this option?
Sep 17, 2015 10:58 PM

Mar 2014
Agafin said:

He's trying to say that Fullmetal is a generic shonen. Mikasa has a vendetta against Fullmetal brotherhood
Sep 17, 2015 11:01 PM

Mar 2012
sullynathan said:
Agafin said:

He's trying to say that Fullmetal is a generic shonen. Mikasa has a vendetta against Fullmetal brotherhood
That's not what I meant but yeah I do think it is a generic shonen, which I tried avoiding but others forced me to add. It has no real show of "masterpiece" as of yet.

ShiroiMuffler said:
Imaishi said:

A masterpiece needs to go beyond having all the good elements, but FMAB is certainly top 1 to top 5 in terms of overall quality, but the fact that not many consider is a masterpiece is makes me skeptical about that #1

BH lacked deep storytelling, good pacing and characterization. Disagree.
End Zionazism
Sep 18, 2015 12:58 AM

Apr 2013
PoeticJustice said:
keragamming said:
None of those are master piece.

Why are you such an elitist?

I think you just watch shows and don't like them to prove how "cool" and "hip" you are. Lol.

He's not an elitist, he didn't even watch most of those ~
Sep 18, 2015 1:52 AM
Aug 2015
Some might say "all qualities", but I think excelling at one does aspect does make something a masterpiece of its own kind don't you agree?

I haven't really seen enough anime to vote on any of the poll options as a masterpiece. In doing so I wouldn't be objective enough to fall within the realms of technical standards but more so inclined to vote on my limited scope of opinions. Which brings me to your quote...

Now that you mention it, if something truly excels in one aspect more than anything other it would be safe to say it is a masterpiece in its own kind of way. At least I would like to think that.

However, when I think of the term "masterpiece" I tend to think of near perfect. Because nothing can truly be perfect, right?
Sep 18, 2015 3:27 AM

Aug 2014
I don't always equate 10/10 to being a masterpiece.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Do you care more about Art or Entertainment?

zaganGao - 19 minutes ago

3 by tchitchouan »»
19 seconds ago

» Why does MAL still use Romaji for Anime Titles When not even the japanese do??? ( 1 2 )

Cestlavie_ - 7 hours ago

84 by Cestlavie_ »»
11 minutes ago

» Are you a fan of the Touhou Project series?

DesuMaiden - 3 hours ago

17 by MasterTasuke »»
16 minutes ago

Poll: » do you even watch anime like how you used to?

removed-user - Yesterday

31 by RudeRedis »»
17 minutes ago

» which anime did you watch first, the one you saw when you were just a child? ( 1 2 )

FruitPunchBaka - May 9

75 by Punkero »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.