Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
May 4, 2019 4:52 PM

Jan 2015
That performance made this all worth while... So good, man. So good.
~ sXeblues - Reviews on Youtube ~
May 4, 2019 4:54 PM

Sep 2007
i cried at the performance scene it was so touching and intense :")

May 4, 2019 5:03 PM

Sep 2018
ziad1419 said:
Why your score 7 ??

Wasn't as engaged in the first few episodes. The score will likely go higher as the anime continues.
May 4, 2019 5:45 PM

Oct 2010
This really confirms just how underrated/underlooked this anime is by most people. My eyes watered even though it was obvious how this was going to play out. Executed very well. Animation is really the only low part of this show. Top tier episode. Really glad this is getting two seasons - the character growth we've seen in just 5 episodes is astonishing, and yet also doesn't feel rushed at all.
May 4, 2019 5:46 PM

Sep 2011
What an amazing episode, I'm moved! It already starts really well with Houzuki overwhelmed by guilty and regret over having misjudged Kudou so badly. Fortunately she soon runs into him and is able to say that she is sorry. It's a pity that after it the scene went into a more comical direction, but it was still a very cute and important moment between them. Then we see them practicing again as the showtime approaches, and I just loved how the granny adviced and encouraged them at the same time by saying that they should think about who they are playing for, who they want to reach, and that their sounds are perfect to surpass the preconceptions people have of them.

Takezou was cool on the mic after he got a hold of himself, but he is still being supported by Kudou and Houzuki who are the true pillars of the team. As someone who used to be as meek as him depending on the situation I sympathize, but I'm glad he is making progress and I'm hoping to see more of him being firm, and helping them like when he decided to stand up for Kudou in the beginning again.

Then the performance starts and it was a twirl of emotions, I couldn't even blink! The music was amazing, and I loved how it was mixed with flashbacks; Tetsuki is an even greater comrade than what I thought, and I already held him in the highest regard. It was only because he was there for Kudou, just like his grandfather, that Kudou didn't give up on himself, realizing he had people who truly cared when no one else bothered to look beyond appearances. It pains me to know that his grandfather is no longer with him. He would be proud.

They slipped during it too, but Houzuki, with her experience and sheer skill, was able to put them back on track. And then Kudou's solo moved everyone just like hers did, maybe even more for being so "unexpected". He began to play for his grandfather, then his friends, and then the audience. It was great and I loved the climax too. I couldn't believe when it was over because I craved for more, and it was really weird to not hear applause and cheers. I guess they were too taken aback to react. Can't wait for the next episode.
May 4, 2019 5:55 PM
Apr 2015
Kougeru said:
This really confirms just how underrated/underlooked this anime is by most people. My eyes watered even though it was obvious how this was going to play out. Executed very well. Animation is really the only low part of this show. Top tier episode. Really glad this is getting two seasons - the character growth we've seen in just 5 episodes is astonishing, and yet also doesn't feel rushed at all.

Animation improved in this episode
Compare previous eps
May 4, 2019 5:56 PM
May 4, 2019 6:06 PM
Jul 2017

Everyone who digs this episode should check out that youtube link - it's basically Ryuuseigun (the song they were playing) with panels from the manga superimposed.
...but then again, I unironically like Warau Salesman.
May 4, 2019 7:38 PM
Nov 2014

Wow thanks for sharing that, this is so well made
May 4, 2019 8:43 PM
Nov 2010
That was a masterclass in how to adapt the source material. It helps that the manga is great, but the studio really did an amazing job in intertwining the music to the story. This is one of my favorite sleeper mangas so I'm glad it's getting its due.

Also, the animation director did an amazing job in using higher and lower quality animation in the right places during the performance against what is assuredly a lower budget - they don't have 'Bones' money or anything. They didn't skimp on the animation of the actual playing during important parts which would be easy for a lazy studio to do.

I hope more people will take a look at this work (and hopefully the score goes up as well).
May 4, 2019 8:57 PM

Sep 2018
Kougeru said:

Then you're going to be in for a treat when the gang eventually plays Tenkyuu. It's really beautiful.
May 4, 2019 10:59 PM
Jul 2018
Breathtaking episode! We haven't heard much Koto sound for the past episodes and now we got whole lot of it. Some of the sequences were amazing and really peaked high. So far overall the best episode from this year I've seen.
May 4, 2019 11:22 PM
Apr 2014
Not much to say, it was the best episode so far.

This and YU-NO could be the dark horse of this season.
May 4, 2019 11:24 PM

Dec 2014
ok the playing was awesome so why wasn't anyone clapping.....
May 4, 2019 11:32 PM
Jan 2018
heydaycapriccio said:
What a lovely performance! I absolutely love scenes where low expectations get proven wrong, so it was great to see everyone speechless after sneering before the performance.

Although, as much as I understood having the flashbacks during the performance to emphasise how far everyone has come, I reaaaaally want to hear the full performance from start to finish without any interruptions. Hopefully it'll be a track on the OST or something.

The official Jump Square Channel on YouTube uploaded the track when the manga Chapter released. Here's the link: https://youtu.be/Y_Db88Ef6FQ
May 4, 2019 11:37 PM
Sep 2015
I see that this anime will not yield to CG even when some scene require fluid animation.
May 5, 2019 12:23 AM

May 2017
Yay! Finally some koto and god that was just beautiful, especially the solo performed by Chika totally loved it. Respect to the guys playing the koto. Also the drama that was going on through out the episode the one with chika's grandpa almost made me cry. Brilliantly done by the studio 💯/💯.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 5, 2019 12:33 AM
Jan 2019
Chika's music and painful history make me cry there performance is wonderful, love how Satowa's reaction when she realize Chika's past but he act like it's nothing am okay with that the ending of there performance is little disappointing it just ended there no reaction at all but am okay with that
May 5, 2019 2:03 AM
Jan 2019
I LOVEEEED this episode
Now that was AWESOME
May 5, 2019 2:33 AM

Oct 2017
OMG! That was single best episode in whole spring season! I'm shocked. That was totally perfect! I think many people cried on this one. It was packed with feelings from the begining to the end. I'm so happy that I saw it, it made my day better.
The Young Noble of the Field is currently watching - Diamond no Ace: Act II
Misugi-kun is also reading - Kanojo, Okarishimasu
May 5, 2019 3:40 AM

Jan 2016
Damn near perfection! I've been hearing Ryuseigun for years know because of the manga but seeing it animated was something else.

Also, I'm so glad that they didn't yield to CGI

I always knew that this show was gonna be underwatched this season but I'm glad that the people who're watching it are loving it.

Now I really can't wait for that ONE performance that'll end of season 2.
May 5, 2019 3:43 AM

Mar 2016
I don't understand music, but this was still enjoyable.

China's hair colour makes me uncomfortable. Wish they made it some shade of brown as it's easy to look at.

The dragons at the end reminded me of 'X' and how it's hiatus still isn't over. Lol.

I like that the audience members were all actual 2d drawings, and not those weird looking 3d renders.

The op has two girls in it. Guess we will be getting a new member.

The episode just ended. It felt so short. I want more!
May 5, 2019 3:49 AM

Aug 2013
That was a great Koto performance. The best episode so far.

May 5, 2019 4:26 AM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
This performance was absolute beauty. Gosh, I love Chika so much!

5/5
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
May 5, 2019 4:26 AM

Mar 2017
I literally got goosebumps during this episode. That was so beautiful, the music, the art, the story... everything. I felt a lump in my throat wen Chika was thinking back over the shitty life he's had... i'm so happy that he and Hozuki have found people that love them and accept them, flaws and all!

It was also priceless to see those Light Music Club dick head's faces during the performance... suck on that, ya assholes! hehe
May 5, 2019 5:25 AM
Jul 2018

Thank you, this is exactly what I wished the anime scene would look like - no unnecessary spoken comments, just the flowing, uninterrupted music, in its entirety. I mean, the anime hadn't screwed up completely; but this video was still so much nicer to watch.^^

Fayrin said:
What an amazing episode, I'm moved! It already starts really well with Houzuki overwhelmed by guilty and regret over having misjudged Kudou so badly. Fortunately she soon runs into him and is able to say that she is sorry. It's a pity that after it the scene went into a more comical direction, but it was still a very cute and important moment between them.

I liked how they downplayed it into comedy, since otherwise it could've gotten really awkward, given neither of them is good at expressing their emotions. This way however, it felt like they've "forgiven" each other and it also emphasizes what a good person Kudou is - he instantly managed to pull Houzuki out of her embarassment, and I doubt he'll ever mention it again.
I'm not criticising your viewpoint, I just wanted to speak up for the scene, because I personally appreciate it a lot. :-) Also it was really sweet how Houzuki asked Kudou to carry her koto for her; while I usually am not a fan of these "knightly" deeds, in this particular case I couldn't help myself but go awww. The girl gets more and more awesome with every episode.
May 5, 2019 5:38 AM

Mar 2017
Wonderful!! I'm amazed how this new studio managed to give such a beautiful adaptation, I didn't expect it! I had tears on my eyes during the episode even though I already read the manga!!
Now where are those haters of Satowa? you must apologize to her the way she did to Chika.
May 5, 2019 5:42 AM

Mar 2019
Ahhh I want more! What a brilliant episode and piece played. That certainly shut everyone up haha.

SaraElric said:
Enjoy it!

https://youtu.be/Y_Db88Ef6FQ?t=100

Thanks for this! I've never heard the Koto before and as a big lover of music Im absolutely in love with the sounds these can make. Can't get enough of these Animes with good music in it as well.
SwizzeMay 5, 2019 5:50 AM
May 5, 2019 6:09 AM
Aug 2018
Best episode so far getting to hear the piece from the manga getting animated was such a blissful moment and damn i almost cried when chika's grandfather said "is that all it takes to make you smile" damn i love his grandad so much
May 5, 2019 6:19 AM

Apr 2016
OMG this episode was so amazing. I loved their performance . Can't wait for the soundtrack to come out

May 5, 2019 6:33 AM

Feb 2009
We need to do everything we can to protect Chika, his lonely dragon sound was so beautiful!

May 5, 2019 6:53 AM

Oct 2017
After the mediocrity of the first 4 episodes, finally the build-up pays up and let us get this wonderful performance.

I actually cried watching this. The flashback, the performance, the transition, everything.
The studio doesn't put too much effort into the instrument part, but the source is just too good that is makes this mediocre production of anime still really touching to watch.

5/5 episode. (Previous 4 episodes are like 3/5 though...)
May 5, 2019 7:21 AM
Apr 2015
Ventus_S said:
After the mediocrity of the first 4 episodes, finally the build-up pays up and let us get this wonderful performance.

I actually cried watching this. The flashback, the performance, the transition, everything.
The studio doesn't put too much effort into the instrument part, but the source is just too good that is makes this mediocre production of anime still really touching to watch.

5/5 episode. (Previous 4 episodes are like 3/5 though...)

Prodection improved
Last scene was orginal and better than manga
May 5, 2019 7:30 AM

Dec 2014
That was a beautiful episode.

Hozuki realizing that she was in the wrong for being so harsh to Kudo before and apologizing to him was great. Lovely moment. <3

This was my first time hearing a Koto performance as well and damn it was amazing. I really do hope they continue with this and keep giving us actual performances. They kinda ended it right at the end, would've loved to see what the crowd thought.
The presentation during the performances was great, I loved how they weaved in all the flashbacks and the retrospect of some characters into the performance itself, made the performance really strong and very moving to watch. I teared up many times.

Can't wait for next week, I really do hope we get a crowd reaction.
May 5, 2019 9:08 AM

Oct 2010
ziad1419 said:
Kougeru said:

Animation improved in this episode
Compare previous eps

I agree, I just meant overall it's not that great and is the shows weakest aspect. I wouldn't say it's BAD, though. Show overall is the biggest surprise of the season to me
May 5, 2019 9:13 AM

Jul 2017
Definitely the dark horse show of the season. Literally worth every episode, this gets the better of all of us! Platinum Vision is doing such a tremendous job with this already good manga adaptation, by making the anime adaptation even better, skimping through the lesser-weighted manga segments and replacing them with key moments.

The music performance literally is "shots fired" to everyone who hasn't heard the sounds of the Koto. The vice-principal that got the shock of his life, even the students who didn't care, got their "just desserts".

What a phenomenal episode, on par with Kimetsu no Yaiba's Episode 4 in terms of speech and sound quality.

@Kougeru that's the ticket!
@Ventus_S unfortunately yeap, but it has its moments.

Lelouch0202 said:
That was a beautiful episode.

Hozuki realizing that she was in the wrong for being so harsh to Kudo before and apologizing to him was great. Lovely moment. <3

This was my first time hearing a Koto performance as well and damn it was amazing. I really do hope they continue with this and keep giving us actual performances. They kinda ended it right at the end, would've loved to see what the crowd thought.
The presentation during the performances was great, I loved how they weaved in all the flashbacks and the retrospect of some characters into the performance itself, made the performance really strong and very moving to watch. I teared up many times.

Can't wait for next week, I really do hope we get a crowd reaction.

Definitely word for word.
KANLen09May 5, 2019 9:18 AM
May 5, 2019 9:37 AM

Aug 2010
The animation is average but that music was AMAZING. This episode deserve a full score because of the music alone.

5/5
May 5, 2019 10:27 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
It's nice to see all the positive comments on this episode :) I remember being really touched by this performance and crying when reading, so good to know the anime has the same effect on people. Personally, I really disliked the flashbacks in during the performance. Not the flashbacks themselves, but the execution. I was really irritated that you could barely hear the performance during the flashbacks, and then to even put another bgm in a flashback during the performance before Chika's solo...idk, it just didn't sit well with me.

While the episode was a bit disappointing for me in terms of directing choices, I'm just happy to see many people enjoying the series ^^
May 5, 2019 10:56 AM
Apr 2015
tingy said:
It's nice to see all the positive comments on this episode :) I remember being really touched by this performance and crying when reading, so good to know the anime has the same effect on people. Personally, I really disliked the flashbacks in during the performance. Not the flashbacks themselves, but the execution. I was really irritated that you could barely hear the performance during the flashbacks, and then to even put another bgm in a flashback during the performance before Chika's solo...idk, it just didn't sit well with me.

While the episode was a bit disappointing for me in terms of directing choices, I'm just happy to see many people enjoying the series ^^

Come on
Ep was so good and better than eps previous
Be positive
May 5, 2019 11:02 AM

Nov 2016
Easily best episode, the moment between Chika and Houzki, grandmas speech and the performance, it had so much going for it and everything was beautifully presented.

The expression of that scumbag teacher at the end was a little highlight btw 😄

Much looking forward to the feedback.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 5, 2019 11:14 AM

Oct 2012
Great episode and animation choices. So glad they decided not to go the Piano no Mori route for the fingering. Instead they simplified some of the animation and only focused on the hands in key parts.
May 5, 2019 12:09 PM

Sep 2018
modboy said:
Great episode and animation choices. So glad they decided not to go the Piano no Mori route for the fingering. Instead they simplified some of the animation and only focused on the hands in key parts.

I wasn't a big fan of the CG in Piano no Mori as it made the presentation feel off. I was glad that Kono Oto Tomare did not utilize it.
May 5, 2019 12:55 PM

Nov 2011
Holy shit this episode was brilliant. SHEER BRILLIANCE! I teared up during the performance it was so good. And it synced up well with the backstories.

Satowa knowing about Chika's past, she turned the Moe on lol.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Summer 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

May 5, 2019 1:08 PM

Mar 2010
Man~! It was so good, I teared up a bit. After watching this episode, I think I can say with confidence that it's my favourite show this season now.

Now Watching

原神 : 800993232

SV-Mirage

May 5, 2019 2:18 PM
Dec 2017

Thanks, I was just searching for this
May 5, 2019 2:50 PM

Oct 2017
VeryLTTP said:
modboy said:

I wasn't a big fan of the CG in Piano no Mori as it made the presentation feel off. I was glad that Kono Oto Tomare did not utilize it.

CG is fine when done right.

Piano no Mori is just bad CG that feel off, that's it...
The performance which it doesn't use CG is even worse it barely even moves.
One of the worst production in terms of quality out there...
May 5, 2019 6:20 PM

Oct 2008
Disbanded your face Vice-Principal! you ate your own words!
splendid spectacular performance by the Koto club!
Even I was also moved by that performance! and it seems like an expert level piece if you ask me!
5/5.

May 5, 2019 8:07 PM

Apr 2008
The episode I had been waiting for, the performance, and it didn't disappoint!!!! The kotos sounded even more beautiful then I thought!!! Not to mention some damn onion ninja's appearing at Chika's solo, so yeh that's why I couldn't stop the tears from my eyes!
May 5, 2019 8:30 PM

Jul 2012
Wow, what a beautiful performance! Best episode so far.
I think Chika is my favourite boy of the season, he's such a nice guy!
I love grandpa Gen as well, it warmed my heart seeing him tearing up after watching his grandson smiling. He reminds me of Shiro from Ao no Exorcist, who's one of my favourite characters ever.
Can't wait for next episode!
May 5, 2019 9:54 PM

May 2014
This anime is so terribly underrated !!! I LOVED this episode. If the show keeps going into this direction this will be top 3 of anime of the season for me! I agree it started off slow and average but this episode right here is what they’ve been building up to and it’s been awesome to watch !
Oscar and Andre deserved better
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kono Oto Tomare! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2019

160 by therealnagora »»
Jun 14, 3:15 PM

Poll: » Kono Oto Tomare! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 29, 2019

127 by hellokittyluv23 »»
May 24, 10:18 AM

Poll: » Kono Oto Tomare! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 22, 2019

59 by Alex_TheForest »»
Mar 9, 1:32 PM

Poll: » Kono Oto Tomare! Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 15, 2019

47 by Alex_TheForest »»
Mar 9, 12:39 PM

Poll: » Kono Oto Tomare! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 8, 2019

57 by Alex_TheForest »»
Mar 9, 11:57 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.