Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 20, 9:57 AM

Jun 2017
So, according to this article at the CMI watching TV with your children can be beneficial both to their own growth process and to strengthen family bonds.

As parents, we have come to think that screen time is bad for young children — or maybe that it’s an inescapable evil. We feel guilty about letting them watch what we fear is too much or the wrong kind of TV and other electronic media. But there’s a mounting body of evidence that if you are actually watching along with your preschool or elementary school-aged child, screen time might not be that bad. On the contrary, as long as you are an active participant, it can have multiple beneficial effects.

It is up to the parents to guide the watching experience in such a way that the child can reap its benefits to the full. The article argues that a positive shared experience can play a key role in the child's intellectual and emotional development (see Figure 1). Further down:

Watching media together also gives parent and child a shared language with which to communicate when they’re not watching, explains Matt Rouse, PhD, a clinical psychologist. “By really being involved you can get more mileage out of those lessons and adapt and use it in everyday life.”

Communication takes different forms at different steps of the growth process, and it is important to adapt to each stage and evolve the appropriate strategies. The article continues:

When parents watch with their kids they can use strategies on the shows in the real world to coach kids on emotional regulation. It’s good for parent and child to be working from the same playbook.

In sum, are you a responsible parent, aware of the importance of sharing entertainment with your kids?

Figure 1. Emotionally damaged child.
TirinchasMar 20, 10:09 AM

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 20, 9:59 AM

Feb 2020
I don't have children, so I usually watch anime alone or with my partner. Or sometimes with my cats. =^_^=

SerafosMar 20, 10:02 AM
Mar 20, 10:05 AM

May 2019
I'm not married or have any significant other or offspring, i live alone relationless.
Mar 20, 10:07 AM

Jan 2009
im forever alone so no children here obviously
Mar 20, 10:12 AM
Nah, I’d never watch anything with them lol It would be so weird and awkward
(Oh, also, I’m not a parent yet)
Mar 20, 10:16 AM

Sep 2016
No, but I watch Anime with the wall behind me.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Mar 20, 10:17 AM

Jun 2019
My daughter is only 2 but there are certain anime that I have on in the background that she likes, such as Sailor Moon (she loves Luna the cat) and Treasure Island 1978 (likely because Jim had a pet tiger and it was colourful).

There's a bunch of anime I'll show her when she's older, Sugar Plum Fairies, Ronja the Robbers Daughter, Cities of Gold, CCS etc

Don't think I'd ever show her myanimelist though, or I'd have to wipe all the hentai from my list first, and maybe all the spicy shows too.
Mar 20, 10:17 AM

Jan 2009
if i treat this as a hypothetical question then i voted the last option
Mar 20, 10:19 AM

Sep 2008
I have no kids and typically watch it alone as no one I know locally is an anime fan.
Mar 20, 12:16 PM

Oct 2017
I can't really have kids unfortunately, but if I did, I would probably share some stuff with them once they get older (like 7+).
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Mar 20, 12:29 PM

Oct 2019
I watched some stuff with my little sister, that's the closest thing and yeah it was fun!
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Mar 20, 12:32 PM

Mar 2023
No i have no interest in having children.
Mar 20, 12:34 PM

Sep 2007
Reply to APolygons2
I watched some stuff with my little sister, that's the closest thing and yeah it was fun!
APolygons2 said:

Same with my younger brother, but that was 10+ years ago. Other than that, I'm still single and haven't had a girlfriend.
Mar 20, 12:36 PM

Jan 2022
I don't have children but if I did I'd only watch Shrek with them like other parents because I only know to watch anime in reclusion.
Mar 20, 12:57 PM

Dec 2022
No kids here. But if I had I would choose option 2 or 5.

-Tohka is better than Kurumi. You can't change my mind. 

Mar 20, 1:07 PM

Dec 2022
I don't have children and I don't plan to have but if I had and they were interested in watching anime, I would definitely pick something appropriate for them as there are so many anime options out there, for everyone really. And as I like watching stuff for younger viewers, it wouldn't be a problem to sit with my bf next to them and watch together xD
Mar 20, 1:31 PM
Jul 2020
I don't have any children but I do watched anime with my mom and my sister sometimes. We watched together on TV if there have any interesting Shoujo and any Romance anime. This two genre is their strong suit genre and they loved it.
Mar 20, 1:52 PM
Jan 2023
Same as most other people here I don’t have any children, but if I did I would watch anime with them (obviously age appropriate) as well as other forms of media.
Mar 20, 3:26 PM

Aug 2018
If I had kids, I totally would watch anime with them. Sounds like fun! But there are no guarantees that my child would turn out to be a huge nerd like myself and might not even be interested or god forbid, prefer battle shounen over SOL. I'd send that brat packing to the nearest orphanage.
Mar 20, 3:36 PM
☆RetroRice☆

Oct 2023
I don’t have kids and I don’t want any but if I do, I’ll watch these with them, as I thought they were wholesome

My neighbor Totoro
Ponyo
Doraemon
Pokémon
Hamtaro
Chis seeet home
Grave of the fireflies
Moomin
Mar 20, 3:57 PM

Oct 2013
I don't have children, but if I did, I absolutely would. I firmly believe that kids need to know the difference between reality and fiction, and that parents should keep tabs on what their kids consume. Two things a shocking amount of people seem to have hard time grasping the concept of. I had to learn that on my own by purposely going against my mom and watching things she didn't want me to. She was the type that would throw away my Yu-Gi-Oh cards because she thought they were satanic, to give a good idea of that situation. So again, I had to learn for myself that tv was fake and I shouldn't copy everything I see. And I shouldn't have had to. All that said, I think I'd be a little too lenient with what a child is allowed to watch, but at least I'd be there.
Mar 20, 5:22 PM

Aug 2013
So, since nobody have children here (how surprising, yeah, guys?) there is nothing to stop me from leaving a comment too. I don't have children but I guess I wouldn't watch anime with my children not because of how inconvenient it would be for me but for them. Children need a free space to explore things independently, to think and to have an important inner monologue. Many anime show things which make to think, it's not your another predictable movie based on comics. Even traditional moral/social focus 'friendship is a magic' is vary strongly from anime to anime.
Mar 20, 5:39 PM
Mar 2024
Currently at the moment I don't have kids ):
Mar 20, 6:04 PM

Nov 2019
How would one cope if they had bad taste? Confining them in the basement?
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Mar 20, 11:50 PM

Dec 2015
I think you haven't checked -> https://myanimelist.net/advertising

Majority of mal users are in the age which it is usually considered too early for becoming an adult. Or in the age when they are trying to try having a child so still too early to watch anime with em.

I ain't having kids yet
Mar 21, 4:28 AM

Jun 2015
I voted yes despite not having any children bcz I am children
Mar 21, 5:02 AM

Jul 2021
there can't possibly any MAlers that have children. right?

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Mar 21, 5:48 AM

Jan 2023
Yes, I watch certain anime with my ten year old son. We watched Kimetsu no Yaiba, Nanatsu no Taizai, One Punch Man, Hi Score girl, Ghibli movies and some more together.
The bad thing is that he really likes shounen and it's not one of my favorites.

I can't get him to watch Slayers or CardCaptor Sakura.
Mar 21, 5:50 AM

Nov 2023
I highly doubt I would have any cause im not interested in finding a partner nor have the right responsibilities but Shadows House is defiantly on my hit list. i just want them to enjoy something slower and healthier at least
Ratris_DecisionMar 21, 5:55 AM
Mar 21, 6:07 AM
Call me Oniichan

Jan 2007
Nah, having children is always a mistake. I can see how disappointed my parents were with me my whole life. I can see how the financial burden of having a wife and kids drained the life out of my dad, to the point where he had to physically abuse me to let go off his life frustrations. I'm fine being a genetic dead end. I'm too smart to have kids. I think with my brain, not with my emotions (aka penis).
Mar 21, 6:35 AM
Mar 2021
Maybe not quite the answer you're maybe looking for, but I watch anime with my parents. I'm from the UK, and while most families raised their children with Disney movies and the like, my family raised my sister and I on Studio Ghibli. This was definitely an exception - my parents are relatively old (my dad is 68 and my mum is 60), and my sister and I are 25 and 22 respectively, but we all watch anime as a family even now. It started when my dad was friends with a Chinese couple who ran a fish and chip shop in the area, and, as souvenirs, they would bring back VHS anime for my dad from their trips to China. This was around the early-to-mid 90s, and he got my mum into it as well, so my sister and I would often watch anime films together, but less so TV series as they were harder to get.

It was really good for us bonding as it was a really niche thing that only we did and we all loved, and it also gave my sister and I better and stronger female role models to look up than Disney movies, like San from Princess Mononoke, Satsuki from Totoro and Chihiro from Spirited Away, or even Major from Ghost in the Shell. I also know someone whos in their late 40s who watches anime with their children, and though both they and my dad have a MAL account, they don't really update it, so maybe the fact that so many people are saying they're single or don't have children is not representative of the actual situation but just MAL?

I hope this helps answer you're question a bit, as even though we're both adults now, my sister and I have watched anime since we were children. I'm interested to see how more people answer this.
Mar 21, 7:47 AM

Jan 2010
Reply to TsutanaiFuun
there can't possibly any MAlers that have children. right?
@TsutanaiFuun Not every anime fans has MAL accounts so we don't have exact data. There could be a unknown of anime fans that don't have MAL profiles that are also parents out there.

But back on topic: I'm not a parents yet. But I have put on anime for my niece when she was 7-8 years old (she's 13 years old now). And yes, we have talked about anime now and then even today.
Mar 21, 8:34 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Reply to juanlqr
Yes, I watch certain anime with my ten year old son. We watched Kimetsu no Yaiba, Nanatsu no Taizai, One Punch Man, Hi Score girl, Ghibli movies and some more together.
The bad thing is that he really likes shounen and it's not one of my favorites.

I can't get him to watch Slayers or CardCaptor Sakura.
@juanlqr Wow this sounds wholesome and it's a cool of you being such a fun dad like that, it's wonderful...

You must feel happy whenever you watch anime with your son ^.^

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Mar 21, 8:49 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to mdo7
@TsutanaiFuun Not every anime fans has MAL accounts so we don't have exact data. There could be a unknown of anime fans that don't have MAL profiles that are also parents out there.

But back on topic: I'm not a parents yet. But I have put on anime for my niece when she was 7-8 years old (she's 13 years old now). And yes, we have talked about anime now and then even today.
@mdo7 yeah well that's true there could be many parents like that but when we talk about your average mal user i think it is unlikely that they could be a parent. not impossible but highly unlikely.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Mar 21, 8:53 AM

Aug 2020
Naht yet I'll watch Texhnolyze with my boy

Mar 21, 2:18 PM

Jan 2010
Reply to TsutanaiFuun
@mdo7 yeah well that's true there could be many parents like that but when we talk about your average mal user i think it is unlikely that they could be a parent. not impossible but highly unlikely.
@TsutanaiFuun
TsutanaiFuun said:
i think it is unlikely that they could be a parent. not impossible but highly unlikely.

Just to let you know there are a lot of inactive MAL users that haven't used MAL for the last few years, and MAL users that don't comment on this website's forum (I met several MAL users that don't want to talk on or use MAL's forum).

So we don't know how many MAL users (both active and inactive along with those users that don't go on MAL's forum) that are married and have children out there. Also factor in parents anime fans that don't have MAL profiles/accounts.
Mar 21, 2:23 PM

Jul 2014
If I had kids I'd totally show them Ghibli and OG Dragon Ball.
Take care of yourself

Mar 21, 2:55 PM

Sep 2021
My daughter rolls her eyes and sighs when I mention anime. The only time she'll watch is if the guy she is dating is into anime... then its normally the shounen stuff. Needless to say we have different tastes and I'm firmly stuffed into the 'awh ma, you're embarrassing me' box 😂
~ Those who look with clouded eyes see nothing but shadows ~
Mar 21, 9:18 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to mdo7
@TsutanaiFuun
TsutanaiFuun said:
i think it is unlikely that they could be a parent. not impossible but highly unlikely.

Just to let you know there are a lot of inactive MAL users that haven't used MAL for the last few years, and MAL users that don't comment on this website's forum (I met several MAL users that don't want to talk on or use MAL's forum).

So we don't know how many MAL users (both active and inactive along with those users that don't go on MAL's forum) that are married and have children out there. Also factor in parents anime fans that don't have MAL profiles/accounts.
@mdo7 i see. so that means can't really say anything about the parent part.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Mar 21, 11:03 PM
Dec 2021
I would mainly watch some Ghibli Movies and anime without sexualization.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Mar 21, 11:10 PM

Nov 2017
I dont want kids bcs I dont want them suffer in a unfair and cruel world. I am a genetic dead end.
Mar 21, 11:14 PM
Jul 2018
Don't got any little ones yo. So I don't, my sister does tho.
Mar 21, 11:47 PM

Oct 2022
I'm not a parent but I have watched a lot of anime with my sisters like Fruits Basket, Yona of the Dawn, Inuyasha, etc.
-Login to mal
-Looks at notifications
-Three messages deleted
"Oh no"
Mar 21, 11:54 PM
May 2015
I answered hypothetically as I'm not married or have children YET, but if I ever do I will likely share my favorite anime with them! (When they're old enough of course). I already raised my kid sisters on them (little sis watched One Piece with me when she was 8 and is still a fan at 21) so I'd just be repeating the process, and I look forward to it!
My candies:

Bonus candies:
Mar 22, 4:44 AM

Jan 2023
I don't understand the amount of comments that it would be weird to be a father and watch anime.
For me, watching anime is the same as watching any other series, be it The Simpsons, Family Guy, The Office, Skins or Game of Thrones.
TV shows for entertainment.
I am from Argentina, I am 36 years old, in the 90s, my youth (?), when there was no internet and we watched television with advertisements and fixed schedules, one got used to seeing what was on.
Some things were liked a lot and others little or not at all.
At that time The Simpsons was something that was shown on both cable TV and free-to-air channels. Obviously I'm a fan of them.
Then you had the channels that showed animated programs, and there were a lot of anime there, like Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball, Slayers, Captain Tsubasa, Saint Seiya, Slam Dunk, Ranma, Pokemon, CardCaptor Sakura, Zenki, B't X, etc. And also others like Jem and the Holograms, Rugrats, Beetlejuice, X-Men, Garfield, etc.
Even a channel called "Magic Kids" had a segment called "El Club del Anime" on the weekends, where they talked about magazines, series, music, and spent hours straight watching the same anime. Or movies like Mononoke-Hime.

By the end of the 90s there was even a channel on TV called "Locomotion" that showed a lot of anime. Evangelion, Saber Marionette, Cowboy Bebop, Aika, Blue Seed, were some of them.

What am I getting at with all this long message?
That it is normal to like Anime, one could consume a lot in a time where the Internet did not exist.

And it is also normal that one can have a partner, have children, and do the same thing one did when one was a child.
Sometimes parents "drag" their tastes to you. Sometimes not.

Another example, I was always a soccer fan, I always played and watched a lot, I go to the stadium to follow my team. But my dad wasn't, it's something that came from me.
Now my son watches anime and we watch together, which is something that came from me and not from his mother. But he doesn't get hooked on soccer, despite having taken it to the stadium. Each one their tastes, each one in their moments.
Doing anything you enjoy is perfect.
Mar 22, 6:08 AM

Jan 2010
Reply to TsutanaiFuun
@mdo7 i see. so that means can't really say anything about the parent part.
@TsutanaiFuun

Exactly, and I want to point out between 2013-2019, I was inactive on MAL because I was deeply involved in K-pop, and other fandom and at that time, I took a big break from anime to focus on K-pop and also discovering stuff outside of anime (hence why I didn't use MAL a lot at that time). So we don't know if those inactive MAL users that hasn't used MAL in a long time could've been busy doing stuff outside of anime/manga, it's possible that there are inactive MAL users that have became parents and spend an amount of time focusing on being parents and probably haven't made appearance on MAL since becoming parents. It's also possible that there are MAL users that moved to Anilist and they haven't used MAL since moving on to Anilist since then.
Mar 22, 10:27 AM

Jan 2021
I don't have children but I would watch anime with them
Mar 22, 10:40 AM

Mar 2021
If I had
I wish I could introduce them to anime and enjoy it together
That would be awesome
Mar 22, 11:56 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to mdo7
@TsutanaiFuun

Exactly, and I want to point out between 2013-2019, I was inactive on MAL because I was deeply involved in K-pop, and other fandom and at that time, I took a big break from anime to focus on K-pop and also discovering stuff outside of anime (hence why I didn't use MAL a lot at that time). So we don't know if those inactive MAL users that hasn't used MAL in a long time could've been busy doing stuff outside of anime/manga, it's possible that there are inactive MAL users that have became parents and spend an amount of time focusing on being parents and probably haven't made appearance on MAL since becoming parents. It's also possible that there are MAL users that moved to Anilist and they haven't used MAL since moving on to Anilist since then.
@mdo7 that makes sense. very high chance that adult responsibilities and other interestsmrendered people unable to use mal. plus it feels like forums are really dying out these days. mal isn't as active as it used to be during lockdown times as far as i remember.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Mar 23, 3:58 AM

Aug 2021
its just me myself and I at the moment
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» In Isekai anime, why are some fans so fond of "Truck-kun?"

Trivia-man-Frank - Yesterday

19 by TheDarkLordOtaku »»
1 minute ago

» Do you skip anime scenes or episodes?

Johnny65 - Sep 25

48 by ScaryOwl »»
12 minutes ago

» Are you a fan of the Touhou Project series?

DesuMaiden - 6 hours ago

23 by DesuMaiden »»
15 minutes ago

Poll: » do you even watch anime like how you used to?

removed-user - Yesterday

36 by MogKnight »»
21 minutes ago

» Do you care more about Art or Entertainment?

zaganGao - 3 hours ago

13 by LenRea »»
29 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.