Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 22, 2016 11:49 PM

May 2008
(Or stored on your computer through other non-illegal means, I guess.)

I, uh, impulsively download things constantly so I currently have about 300 series downloaded. As well as a several OVAs/specials/movies I need to get around to watching at some stage.

Look, I do want to watch them all. I just can't stop myself from downloading them all at once. And then I'm super lazy when it comes to actually watching them. I find it useful for shorter things though.

How about the rest of you, MAL? How much do you have hoarded? How do you store things (HDD/video format/etc)? Do you only download a particular type of anime (eg movies)?

Discuss.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 22, 2016 11:50 PM

Nov 2013
I kind of just shuffle through short ones and keep more lengthy ones around while I slowly get through em.

Almost never keep stuff I put on hold or I'm not going to watch for a bit.

maybe like 8-10 on average
Jan 23, 2016 12:03 AM

Jul 2013
I just stream. I'm not risking putting viruses on my comp. Plus why would I download a series that I potentially won't like enough to watch repeatedly? That should be the purpose of downloading imo. The only time I downloaded (Corpse Party) was to watch it with some ppl at a place with slow Wi-Fi.
Demi Valentine

Follow me on social media!

Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Jan 23, 2016 12:06 AM

Apr 2015
I don't download I stream.

But if I could download I would. But I just can't find a good site.
Jan 23, 2016 12:07 AM

Jan 2011
I mostly stream. Unless I really want to watch it in HD (like if it's a show i'm really looking forward to that is less than 50 episodes or something)
Jan 23, 2016 12:09 AM

May 2008
Demi_V said:
I'm not risking putting viruses on my comp.

It's not 2003, torrenting is safe now if you download from the right places.

Plus why would I download a series that I potentially won't like enough to watch repeatedly? That should be the purpose of downloading imo.

Nah. With downloading it's easier to focus on something because you can make the video float above other apps you have open. With streaming you have to stay in that one tab. You also get much better quality and you know what subs you're getting. Plus streaming links don't always work, especially not for series that are more than a year old.
Jan 23, 2016 12:11 AM
Apr 2013
11 Tb not counting the ones I have burned into DVDs. 1000+ anime I guess.
Jan 23, 2016 12:12 AM

Nov 2014
400 gb of bluray rips are on my harddrive right now.
Not going to count titles.

Jan 23, 2016 12:15 AM

Apr 2014
A lot, around 400GB (small encoded).
i stored them in my External HDD, all of the anime I've watched is downloaded and there's like tons of series that I've downloaded but I just cannot find the right time to watch it.
Jan 23, 2016 12:22 AM

Jul 2013
Zazie122 said:
Demi_V said:
Plus why would I download a series that I potentially won't like enough to watch repeatedly? That should be the purpose of downloading imo.

Nah. With downloading it's easier to focus on something because you can make the video float above other apps you have open. With streaming you have to stay in that one tab.

It depends on what OS you have. I had Windows 8.1 for over two years and was able to multitask.
You also get much better quality and you know what subs you're getting. Plus streaming links don't always work, especially not for series that are more than a year old.
It depends on the website. I never experienced a prob with Kissanime. Despite age, the quality has always been superb as well as the subs. I could understand if we were talking about hentai. The quality is usually bad with those, and I spotted flaws in the subs.
Demi Valentine

Follow me on social media!

Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Jan 23, 2016 12:27 AM

Jul 2013
2tb so far and rising!

i rarely torrent though anymore tbh it's too slow

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Jan 23, 2016 12:28 AM

Mar 2014
I see no point in downloading because I almost never re watch and I'm lazy so I just stream

Kissanime master race
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jan 23, 2016 12:29 AM

Apr 2015
Comic_Sans said:

Kissanime master race

I-I thought I was the only one......
Jan 23, 2016 12:31 AM

Mar 2014
JkayW said:
Comic_Sans said:

Kissanime master race

I-I thought I was the only one......
Schhhhh, my child

It's okay

I'm here
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jan 23, 2016 12:32 AM

Jul 2014
I just have the Haruhi movie and a few random episodes of random anime. Pretty much the only time I download is when my internet is slow so I make it even slower by downloading episodes but it's all for the greater good (no buffering)
Jan 23, 2016 12:33 AM

Jul 2015
I don't think this thread will stay up for long.

Anyway, everything I saw. It all started when my trusted VGLN/rutube.ru (Evangelion) was taken down. I tend to delete stuff that I don't intend to rewatch, but I still have a shitload of shows to watch.

Note that I saw a lot more anime before, but I just add to my list stuff that I watched since my inscription, mostly because there's no way I can rate stuff like Escaflowne that I saw nearly 15 years ago.

But hey, my HD is dying, so I put it all on an external HD, and guess what? Looks like I'll need to try and fix it >:c
Jan 23, 2016 12:33 AM

Jan 2014
I only just started to torrent my anime late last year. Probably have like 20+ episodes downloaded lol

Jan 23, 2016 12:38 AM
Jul 2018
I have two 4Tb WD greens which are almost full of anime and other two for backing up first ones LOL. But as of my new year's resolution, I started to cut back stuff I will probably never rewatch anyway and recently I deleted some upscaled shows with bloated filesize (looking at you BloatGirls)...
Jan 23, 2016 12:55 AM

Sep 2015
300 series, 400 gb, 2 Tb, 11 tb, my god.. that such a dedication you guys got there, i wonder if i could get to that level ( i hope i could tho)

My problem is that my internet is very limited and so slow, that's why i dont stream, i cant. and i cant deal with all of those buffering business. Thus i downloaded all of them.
For now i just save some tittles, all of my top 10 favorites are included and some of anime movies and anime that i am planning to watch so roughly about 20-30 tittles.
Well even if i had a fast internet connection i still prefer downloaded them tho, so i can watch whenever i feel wanted to.

Tobacco Causes Severe Health Problems, Smoke Moderately While Respecting Others.
Jan 23, 2016 12:56 AM
May 2015
I just stream, I don't download anime episodes. Just ost's and soundtracks.
Jan 23, 2016 1:03 AM

May 2015
I was an impulsive downloader too. realised i was never going to watch that 100gb of vids. fed them to my bin
Jan 23, 2016 1:06 AM

May 2008
Demi_V said:

It depends on what OS you have. I had Windows 8.1 for over two years and was able to multitask.

It's still not the best experience imo, since for someone like me it's hard to focus on just one thing and I'd always click out of the tab or check other things etc. But if I have something downloaded and the player's floating on top, I don't have to worry about that.

It depends on the website. I never experienced a prob with Kissanime. Despite age, the quality has always been superb as well as the subs. I could understand if we were talking about hentai. The quality is usually bad with those, and I spotted flaws in the subs.

You're gonna get compression issues no matter what with streaming sites, not matter how amazing they say they are. And I call bullshit about the subs, since there are lots of series where only one group has subbed it and the subs are shit. Unless there's some form of quality control, but then they'd look like they didn't have any content so I doubt they'd do that lol.

Also KA fucking sucks, I don't get why people on MAL have such wet panties for it tbh.

Lord_Tetrius said:
recently I deleted some upscaled shows with bloated filesize (looking at you BloatGirls)...

I try to download ones that are of a decent size but yeah, it's annoying when the only downloads that exist are bloated ones... Or if they're only subbed by a group you hate (Commie).
Jan 23, 2016 1:20 AM

Aug 2013
Why is there only one option for none. I stream because I dont see the point of downloading while there is not much difference in quality.
Jan 23, 2016 1:47 AM

May 2013
I've downloaded about 285 anime (including currently airing shows, so actually like 250 anime) and about 60 movies, a total of around 600 GB because I download mini mkvs/small encodes.

Although I'm kind of torn between continuing downloading or just streaming because on one hand I've downloaded a lot of anime as it is and it's somewhat convenient and nice but on the other downloading does take time and I do have a Crunchyroll subscription, though my internet isn't always in great condition for streaming. So for now, I download shorter anime (10-50 episodes or so) and stream longer ones.
Insert philosophical quote or exceptional picture here.
Jan 23, 2016 1:49 AM

Jul 2012
Around 450 shows, not including OVA's and movies. I used to leech off school Internet and download series on my laptop and USB. Downloaded like 600 Conan episodes in a day one time.

And some of the shows I downloaded, I've watched already and plan on rewatching.
Jan 23, 2016 1:50 AM

Jun 2008
Jokes on you people...OP is an FBI informant and is currently collecting IP addresses!
Jan 23, 2016 1:55 AM

Nov 2012
not that much, currently like 10 shows plus a few movies, episodes of seasonals and OVA. i delete shows after watching them :p
Jan 23, 2016 1:57 AM

Jan 2009
Mah Animuh folder takes 770 gb of HD space
not gonna bother counting all the movies/series/OVAs

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Jan 23, 2016 1:58 AM

Jan 2016
I stream. I don't really want to download anime. If I can, I'll buy it.
Jan 23, 2016 2:00 AM

Dec 2015
I don't download it I stream it.
If I like the series enough I'll usually just buy it.

Jan 23, 2016 2:25 AM

Jan 2014
I only download what I wanna keep like my favorites and some movies
Jan 23, 2016 2:53 AM

Apr 2015
Around about 200+ Gb, but some of them a long shows though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 23, 2016 3:11 AM

Mar 2014
I remember in the past that torrent downloaders were easily caught by the police it displays your IP in the program (uTorrent, emule etc) and there were lots of viruses and the thing with seeders and leeches iirc.
Did this somehow change that you all download form torrents without hesitation? Are there other sources for anime? I'd like to know because my mindset is still on 2007 regarding torrents and I never downloaded anime, music only.
Jan 23, 2016 3:41 AM

Jan 2010
I'm always downloading my anime preferable with a direct download, however it's really difficult lately. Recent anime I would download with torrents. However I don't watch anime recently so I don't know how it's going lately. I've got a lot of my favourite anime stored. I don't know why, but in the past, I always thought that I would rewatch them 10 years later. But, lately I'm so immersed with manga that I feel that it won't happen.
Wel, I basically don't delete them because of I have the diskspace anyway. I bought over 7 years ago the three hard disks, and they didn't gave out. So, now I have three old hard disks with old anime.
Jan 23, 2016 4:03 AM

Feb 2013
A few series here and there that I'm watching at the moment. (your vote)

i'm a download then delete kind of guy.. but they still amount to 100 gb xd
Jan 23, 2016 4:06 AM

Aug 2015
I have around 100 anime , they are around 350 GB
Jan 23, 2016 4:07 AM

Mar 2015
I kiss my anime wink wink dot too ....
Jan 23, 2016 4:36 AM

Aug 2015
I stream, need to justify paying a membership for all of my major streaming sites. Also, if I really like anime/manga I buy a physical copy. Unless it is rather obscure and can't be found via the norm. Then again, I like collecting things. Particularly books, I find the smell and feel of paper to be intoxicating, the older the paper the better.
Jan 23, 2016 4:42 AM

Mar 2011
I've downloaded every anime I've watched, but I had to start deleting the ones I'll never watch again because of limited space. Still, I have filled a few external HDDs.
Jan 23, 2016 6:15 AM
Jun 2012
Since I live in the Philippines, legal streaming services like Crunchyroll, iflix, and Netflix have very limited selection when it comes to Anime titles. As much as I want to support the industry, I ain't going to pay for less content. VPN is an option, but it seems that these companies are cracking down on VPN usage. Ordering Blu-Rays is a hit or miss. I recently had my Anime CDs stuck in customs for a while and I had to pay duties for it. Annd the process of going to the main postal office is a pain in the ass.

I have 3 Hard Drives in my Desktop.

500 GB (main)
250 GB (Steam)
2 TB (Anime and Japanese Media)

I still have some left over Anime series on my 500 GB HDD. It accumulates about 214 GB of the total space. Since I acquired a 2 TB HDD, this is where my anime series are stored now. Checking the folder right now, it used about 238 GB.

When it comes to formats? As much as possible, I only download them in MKV. To conserve space, I download TV series in 720p and Movies in 1080p. In rare cases, I dispose any anime series from my HDD if I didn't enjoy the series.

-Anokata said:
I remember in the past that torrent downloaders were easily caught by the police it displays your IP in the program (uTorrent, emule etc) and there were lots of viruses and the thing with seeders and leeches iirc.
Did this somehow change that you all download form torrents without hesitation? Are there other sources for anime? I'd like to know because my mindset is still on 2007 regarding torrents and I never downloaded anime, music only.

When you are using Torrent clients, usually your IP address will be public on trackers. You can always set a custom host name by going to your client settings and look for an option similar to µTorrent's "IP/Hostname to report to tracker". This will mask your IP from being seen by trackers. Of course, this doesn't mean your safe from law enforcement. In some countries where Torrent file sharing is strict, you are more than likely risk getting caught. Although, in most countries, they usually go after the uploader than those who download.
LoveArrowShootoJan 23, 2016 6:20 AM
Jan 23, 2016 6:21 AM

Jan 2008
14 TB of anime. Nobody is at my level.
Jan 23, 2016 6:21 AM

Nov 2011
I download every seasonal anime on my list and then delete them after the season ends.

Jan 23, 2016 6:27 AM

Feb 2013
-Anokata said:
Download from nyaa and bakabt without hesitation. That's where i got hundreds of anime from..

As for other sources, you can look up who subbed/ripped the anime, and download directly from the their site or IRC (DeadFish has a nice tutorial on how to do this). Still, most of them are on nyaa, though for some obscure ones you might wanna go DDL/XDCC from the subber, because of lack of seeds.

Or you could go the really hard way and use .nzb files... but better not.
Jan 23, 2016 6:36 AM

Aug 2015
I don't download anime, i don't do pirate stuff like that.

USE STREAMING BITCHES
Jan 23, 2016 6:41 AM

Aug 2015
None, zero, nada. I don't download anime, just stream.
Jan 23, 2016 6:43 AM
Nov 2015
None, I stream them online..........
Jan 23, 2016 6:46 AM

Sep 2013
I download them, because my friend usually want my collection
Jan 23, 2016 7:03 AM

Sep 2015
Downloaded and saved my favorite, usually on dvd, I have just over 100 animes

Jan 23, 2016 7:08 AM

Feb 2010
i download everything. only keep "currently watching" stuff in my laptop after completing series i delete unless plan to rewatch, usually its mp4 format and HD quality.
Jan 23, 2016 7:13 AM

Nov 2013
500+ if u count movies and OVAs. for tv series around 300 I guess. Actually wanted to delete some series but I felt that it would be a waste, after I spent my time downloading them (my internet connection is so damn slow that it's a pain to download those anime). I save almost all of them in my external HDD.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Do we need more cooking scenes in anime?

SgtBateMan - Jul 17

37 by Yuno »»
6 minutes ago

» Why does MAL still use Romaji for Anime Titles When not even the japanese do??? ( 1 2 )

Cestlavie_ - 8 hours ago

92 by GamerDLM »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » If all pirated sites were to shut down, would you be willing to pay for anime? ( 1 2 3 4 )

All_Knowing - Sep 7

164 by BenjaminJunior »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » Vampires

Shizuna - Yesterday

42 by ColourWheel »»
11 minutes ago

» which anime did you watch first, the one you saw when you were just a child? ( 1 2 )

FruitPunchBaka - May 9

79 by KeepCalmAndMal »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.