Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 2, 9:12 AM

May 2020
In the world of film it has long been said that "black and white" movies are a stylistic choice as much as they are a limitation. You might scoff at this but I have genuinely seen some screenshots that feel like they only work/ work better in monochrome.

Monochrome anime is rare but not unprecedented, for example in Gintama some of the arc finales are animated mostly/entirely in monochrome.

Would you support a monochrome style for an anime, or for a specific section of an anime? What benefits do you think it could have? (Keep in m mind, monochrome does not have to be black and white, it just means only 1 hue is being used)
Jun 2, 9:15 AM

Sep 2016
ofc, got high hopes for https://myanimelist.net/anime/40333/Uzumaki
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jun 2, 9:17 AM

May 2020
Reply to Zarutaku
@Zarutaku Horror is definitely a really good fit for monochrome. If only horror anime existed... APAPAPAPAP NO THEY DON'T, NO THEY DON'T LALALALA
Jun 2, 9:23 AM

Jul 2013
Why does color even matter tbh? I don't think it does. I make alot of black and white (grey-scale) anime drawings btw.
Jun 2, 9:24 AM

May 2020
I mean if the series is created with a specific style in mind, I don't see why not. Different art styles are always welcome.
Jun 2, 9:26 AM

Feb 2020
If it has an interesting story, then why not?
Jun 2, 9:27 AM

Jan 2022
Absolutely. I've been wanting to watch a black and white anime ever since watching that Bleach OP that was in black and white for the first time. Manga is black and white, but anime that is black and white isn't allowed?! Lol, sounds like stupid logic to me.
Jun 2, 9:28 AM

Jan 2022
Reply to DesuMaiden
Why does color even matter tbh? I don't think it does. I make alot of black and white (grey-scale) anime drawings btw.
@DesuMaiden I think it matters alot actually.
Jun 2, 9:28 AM

Jul 2013
Reply to LenRea
@DesuMaiden I think it matters alot actually.
@LenRea why does it matter, I would like to know.??
Jun 2, 9:29 AM

May 2020
Reply to DesuMaiden
@DesuMaiden I think it's a stretch to say it doesn't matter at all, both colour and monchrome have their ups and downs. For example, Monochrome often has better contrast, not because you can't achieve good contrast using colours but because in monochrome drawings contrast is really the only* variable so the artists push it more. Sometimes it is less clear what objects are in monochrome which can be an asset when building surreal/fantastical scenes or a downside when you have trouble showing things are different, like say the fabrics on characters shirts.

Yeah, you and me both :) I drew my profile pic too :)
Jun 2, 9:31 AM
Niyama Forever

Dec 2021
Monochrome can be a cool stylistic choice, but can also be super gimmicky and cliche (what if everything was black and white but important stuff had color omg)
Since manga is already black and white, it's not a stretch for an anime to just lean into that
Sepia can also look really elegant
Jun 2, 9:33 AM

May 2020
Reply to LenRea
Absolutely. I've been wanting to watch a black and white anime ever since watching that Bleach OP that was in black and white for the first time. Manga is black and white, but anime that is black and white isn't allowed?! Lol, sounds like stupid logic to me.
@LenRea I think as for the reason black and white anime is so rare, I think it's because for manga fans seeing the characters they like in colour is a luxury. Basically the only time the see them in colour is on the cover or in colour spreads, and it might be years before a particular character shows up in one. Apparently it is a selling point, no matter how minuscule, that gets manga fans to tune in to the anime.
Jun 2, 9:35 AM

Mar 2020
I like the concept, but if the rest of the visuals and everything else isn't gonna make up for the lack of color, then I think I'd just rather read the manga.

But with Uzumaki however, it being in monochrome really is an upgrade. From the previews we've seen, the title completely encapsulates Junji Ito's artstyle so having it be completely monochrome as well really enhances the usual feel and horror you can see in his work. My only hope for this series is that it doesn't become a another Junji Ito Collection...
Jun 2, 9:36 AM

Jul 2013
Reply to Anjuro
@DesuMaiden I think it's a stretch to say it doesn't matter at all, both colour and monchrome have their ups and downs. For example, Monochrome often has better contrast, not because you can't achieve good contrast using colours but because in monochrome drawings contrast is really the only* variable so the artists push it more. Sometimes it is less clear what objects are in monochrome which can be an asset when building surreal/fantastical scenes or a downside when you have trouble showing things are different, like say the fabrics on characters shirts.

Yeah, you and me both :) I drew my profile pic too :)
@Anjuro I didn't draw my current profile pic on MAL. I found it online. I agree with the advantages vs disadvantages of monochrome drawings you listed in your post. I mostly make monochrome drawings. But I sometimes make colored drawings, too.
Jun 2, 9:37 AM

May 2020
Reply to maxxry
Monochrome can be a cool stylistic choice, but can also be super gimmicky and cliche (what if everything was black and white but important stuff had color omg)
Since manga is already black and white, it's not a stretch for an anime to just lean into that
@maxry I do agree that it can be seen as gimmicky, don't know about cliche though considering almost no one is doing it. For me personally I kind of view it as somewhat unexplored territory. To give an adjacent example, Devilman Crybaby had quite a bit of footage animated on singles, but to compensate they decreased the shadow fidelity. I really liked the results, and it got me wondering what other kinds of tradeoffs could you make. Maybe working in monochrome would allow for greater use of gradients and more tones? More frames? Who can say
Jun 2, 9:40 AM

May 2020
Reply to DesuMaiden
@Anjuro I didn't draw my current profile pic on MAL. I found it online. I agree with the advantages vs disadvantages of monochrome drawings you listed in your post. I mostly make monochrome drawings. But I sometimes make colored drawings, too.
@DesuMaiden You should draw your profile pic if you're an artist man, what are you doin' dude XD You can show off your personality and flex at the same time :)
Jun 2, 9:43 AM

Oct 2019
Short Answer: yes

Long Answer: FUCK YEAH!!!

Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Jun 2, 9:46 AM

Aug 2012
Well, I've seen plenty of anime from the 1910s to the 1950s which were predominantly monochrome, so why not?
Jun 2, 9:49 AM

Mar 2024
I would LOVE more Miss Monochrome anime
Jun 2, 9:55 AM

Mar 2021
I have seen an anime (Top wo Nerae! Gunbuster) where the last episode was almost entirely in black and white, but I watched it without knowing that information beforehand and found it very refreshing. I could usually enjoy it even if it wasn't in color, but I would prefer to watch the entire episode in black and white, or just one episode, or a few minutes, because I would get bored very quickly.

Jun 2, 10:05 AM

Jul 2013
Reply to Anjuro
@DesuMaiden You should draw your profile pic if you're an artist man, what are you doin' dude XD You can show off your personality and flex at the same time :)
@Anjuro well, I dont have any Rozen Maiden fan art (that I created myself) that I could use as an avatar on MAL. I might create some relatively soon, however.
Jun 2, 10:35 AM

Feb 2016
Monochrome lacks impact. I'd like to see anime made in black+white+red. What is this nostalgic combination called?
その目だれの目?
Jun 2, 10:37 AM

May 2020
Reply to Lucifrost
Monochrome lacks impact. I'd like to see anime made in black+white+red. What is this nostalgic combination called?
@Lucifrost Hmm, I wonder if it has a specific name. I would call it a limited palette.
Jun 2, 11:10 AM
Nov 2022
If you want a monochrome style, look at animes before the 70s, as they were pretty much just black and white back then
Jun 2, 11:21 AM

Aug 2021
It would be interesting to watch an ecchi in black and white.

Jun 2, 11:37 AM
busy week =_+

Dec 2014
Sometimes I think vibrant, realistic, colorful scenes are overused in anime. We could really use some more experimental styles like patterned flats (Mononoke) , scrapbook visuals (Kuuchuu Buranko), watercolor painting (Miyazaki Hayao works), sleek minimalist design/action scenes (Monogatari series), kaleidoscope-y visuals (Madoka Magica) or monochrome manga-esc style (Uzumaki)

maxry said:

Sepia is monochrome

CURRENT: semi-hiatus (busy)

Jun 2, 11:55 AM

May 2020
Reply to Yumerei
Sometimes I think vibrant, realistic, colorful scenes are overused in anime. We could really use some more experimental styles like patterned flats (Mononoke) , scrapbook visuals (Kuuchuu Buranko), watercolor painting (Miyazaki Hayao works), sleek minimalist design/action scenes (Monogatari series), kaleidoscope-y visuals (Madoka Magica) or monochrome manga-esc style (Uzumaki)

maxry said:

Sepia is monochrome

@Yumerei Yes, I think all of these artstyles deserve to see use. Anything that is not the dreaded "generic anime artstyle" is good in my book :)

One thing I wonder about monochrome specifically is whether it will force the use of more gradients. Some people said it's not that big of a leap since manga is monochrome, but most manga use a lot of gradients in addition to cell shading. It's kind of necessary to stop things from blending together and to define the forms. I think it would also be cool to see them use "tone paper" in animation (I'm not sure if that's what you call it, I am referring to those patterns you buy from an art shop, cut them with an exacto knife or similar, and glue them onto your manga page)
Jun 2, 12:20 PM

Sep 2007
Reply to Serafos
Serafos said:

I don't mind it as long it what said above in quotes and enjoyable.
Jun 2, 12:30 PM
Feb 2021
Sure would, why not? It could be seriously really cool if it's paired with the *occasional* full-cholor scheme, like in manga.
Jun 2, 12:31 PM

Mar 2021
Anjuro said:
Would you accept a monochrome anime?

Back in the late 70s and early 80s I still watched TV on a black and white monitor in my bedroom because my 1st hand me down TV was not in colour to begin with. The only colour TV we had in the house was in the living room.

Would I accept a monochrome anime today? I wouldn't have a problem if it was actually produced that way.
Jun 2, 12:34 PM

Feb 2024
Not every anime maybe, but some noir one - sure. The best example that comes to my mind is Sin City comics - I would be delighted to watch an anime of similar style.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Jun 2, 12:38 PM

Dec 2021
I've already watched one black and white anime from the '60s, so it's not like the lack of color would be much of a hurdle for me.
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.

alt_textalt_textalt_text
Jun 2, 12:40 PM

Jul 2019
One of my only complaints with the Made in Abyss anime, was that it was TOO colorful, which I felt took away from some of the dark grittiness that you got in the manga. So yes, if done well, and with the right type of show, I think something in monochrome could easily work.
Jun 2, 2:41 PM

Aug 2013
I don't mind if 1 anime does it to stand out from the rest & because it actually fits the theme it handles. However I wouldn't like black & white for all anime tbh. I love colors.
I don't know who quotes me and then deletes the comment, but know that you make my day.

STEAM's GOTY 2024 the Ghost of Tsushima

Warhammer 40K Space Marine 2 compared to other games released in 2024 is without a doubt a masterpiece.
HOWEVER...
Warhammer 40K Space Marine 2 compared to far older games like Gears of War from 2006 is pretty lackluster and has lots of room for improvement -> 5.5/10
Lol Sony needs to stop sniffing their own farts, their IQ is crashing so hard they are gonna ruin the whole company.
Jun 2, 2:50 PM

Jul 2023
As long as it's not low resolution too, it's okay for me. But I'm sceptical abot these "I'm different" moves, because most of the time they want to make something super bizarre that I dislike.
Jun 2, 2:53 PM

Mar 2020
Reply to Zarutaku
@Zarutaku Wait they are making an anime for uzumaki, I cant wait.
If you like doors welcome to the club Door Lovers!
Jun 2, 2:53 PM

Mar 2020
I would love to if the said anime plays around the style of lack of colors.
If you like doors welcome to the club Door Lovers!
Jun 2, 2:58 PM

Aug 2016
Sure, I see no reason to refuse that.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Sep 16, 5:35 AM

Jul 2024
As a Anime fan I can be quite open to unique artistic styles, and a monochrome approach could definitely find it charming .
potential benefits of using a monochrome style in anime can create a specific mood or atmosphere, making scenes feel more intense, mysterious, or nostalgic. This is particularly effective in genres like horror or noir.

Without the distraction of multiple colors, people might pay more attention to the details in the animation, such as line work, shading, and textures.

It will explore Artistic Expression setting the anime apart from others. This can be a bold statement to attract viewers who appreciate innovative art styles

It might be more cost-effective in some cases, as it reduces the complexity of the coloring process. This could allow for more resources to be allocated to other aspects of production..
Monochrome can be used to highlight specific themes or moments within an anime. For example, a flashback or dream sequence in a different hue can signify a shift in time or reality like the OP said in Gintama
Sep 23, 5:57 AM
May 2024
Through bootleg re-uploads on the internet i saw episodes of Prince Planet, Gigantor, & 8th Man. I enjoy them because my boomer mother when i was little said to me "Check out these cartoons i used to watch" with me sitting there with her laughing at the name DICK STRONG who in Gigantor was originally named Kenji Murasame
Sep 24, 6:32 AM

Dec 2020
A monochrome anime would be great. Maybe it would be easier, faster and cheaper to make than a colorful one~
Sep 24, 6:36 AM

Jan 2009
i feel like one reason manga is not popular than anime in the west is because its monochrome
Sep 24, 6:49 AM

Feb 2020
Miss Monochrome The Animation is my favorite monochrome anime. *da dum tss*
Sep 24, 6:55 AM

Aug 2020
It would be interesting. A noir anime...

Sep 24, 7:02 AM
Apr 2024
It can be very cool but maybe a movie might be better than a series
Sep 24, 12:32 PM

Jul 2013
A monochrome HD anime is still better than a low-resolution, colored anime. Besides, it is very easy to convert colored anime into monochrome format with the right computer software.
Sep 24, 5:32 PM
Jul 2024
Well, Boogiepop Phantom was ALMOST monochrome. Does that count?
Sep 24, 10:37 PM

Oct 2013
Sure, as long as its that anime's original version, not just turning a color show into a monochromatic one. Most of monochromatic anime are those made many decades ago, so every new monochromatic anime that's announced or released is a pleasant sight. The next big monochromatic title, in a greyscale palette, will Uzumaki. Its premiere is soon.
Sep 24, 10:46 PM

Jun 2024
Well I watch Sally the Witch and Astroboy on Black&White so no problem.
Sep 25, 6:02 PM

Aug 2016
I see Oyasumi Punpun working this way

More topics from this board

» Who is the most attractive anime character?

Rally- - 4 hours ago

15 by Zakatsuki_ »»
17 minutes ago

» Which series should be watched by every anime enthusiast? ( 1 2 )

Rally- - Sep 23

76 by Rally- »»
47 minutes ago

» "Its better than those Trash Isekai Shows"

BerriesSan - 7 hours ago

7 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
1 hour ago

» What Anime is boring to you ( 1 2 )

Kirika_Madeleine - Sep 24

58 by luisfunes99 »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Vampires

Shizuna - 7 hours ago

20 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.