Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Mar 20, 2009 5:52 PM

Sep 2007
Now that I have a PC just for me, I started playing, but I don't have much free time =/

Playing F/SN and C;H
Mar 20, 2009 10:08 PM

Apr 2008
Darkii said:
HosakaTetsugake said:

Whitewolf5 said:

Ugh, does anyone here play Princess Waltz?

Shit.

LOL? Ahaha.. Why? Is it that bad? I'm quite enjoying it you know
Mar 21, 2009 6:16 AM

Jun 2008
Whitewolf5 said:

I didn't liek it.
Mar 28, 2009 1:00 AM
Apr 2008
Is there a visual novel for Ps2?
Mar 31, 2009 5:32 AM

Nov 2007
kielmaru_07 said:
Is there a visual novel for Ps2?

A lot of visual novels got released on PS2 as non-H versions with additional story content (some even gets released on console first). Unfortunately none of them are translated.
Aug 25, 2009 11:02 AM

Sep 2008
I haven't played any VN games, but in future i want to try some ;)
Aug 25, 2009 4:25 PM

Jan 2009
Lol I've been dying to play clannad but I don't know where I can download from..
Aug 26, 2009 8:29 AM

Jul 2008
I just finished Unlimited Blade Works in Fate/Stay Night, trying to get to Heaven's Feel. ^^;

I have also played Kana: Imouto (finished it, but didn't bother trying to get all the endings) and Utawarerumono. (Never finished - might finish sometime in the future.)

In the future, I'm thinking of trying some of Key's works (Air, Kanon, Clannad) Tsukihime, ef: A Fairy Tale of the Two, School Days, and Higurashi and Umineko - whenever these get completed translations, or whenever I learn enough Japanse to understand - whichever comes first XD

I am the senpai that notices you.

Aug 27, 2009 7:13 PM
Jan 2009
Probably just me, but I've only played Bishojo games so far and all of them were just hopelessly repetitive.
Boy meets harem, boy talks to harem, boy overcomes predictable plot twist with harem, boy scores with harem.
Aug 28, 2009 6:16 PM

Apr 2007
Whitewolf5 said:
Darkii said:
HosakaTetsugake said:

Whitewolf5 said:

Ugh, does anyone here play Princess Waltz?

Shit.

It is a terrible game. The only thing that was kind of cool about it was the battles or w/e but I'm easily amused when it comes to shit like that.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 29, 2009 12:02 AM

Jan 2009
The ones I've played/attempted to play:

Radical Dreamers: Has kind of a D&D sort of feel to it. From what I've heard this visual novel is suppose to be a side story to Chrono Trigger. This one you can play on a SNES emulator.The only thing is, is that it couldn't save my game. So instead you have to use save states. Which isn't too bad.

Narcissu: I attempted to play this. And it looked like it was going to be an intresting story. But for some reason, it kept on crashing on me. I'm not sure if it doesn't play well on vista or anything of the sort.

Brass Restoration: This is the one I'm playing currently. And it's been really good. Good story, funny characters, funny antics, etc. You play as Ryo, a student who's parents are renown for their musical abilities. Ryo himself also enjoys percussion instruments. (drums) That is until one day he has an accident at the train station he goes to and a train runs over his left arm.

So basically it's about him getting over his tragedy, trying to find a new passion, and getting a new girlfriend along the way.
Sep 29, 2009 12:10 AM

Apr 2007
Lepchin17 said:

play well on vista

lol
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 29, 2009 3:08 AM

Jul 2007
Hmmm

I finished

Fate/Stay Night
Tsukihime
Kagetsu Tohya
Clannad
Planetarian ~ A reverie of a little planet
Saya No Uta
Yume Miru Kusuri

Dropped

Ever 17 (Finished Tsugumis and Soras routes)
Princess Waltz ( Epic shit i totally disliked everything about it .... I played about 90 mins and then i dropped it)

PS> I have vista and everything works absolutely perfect :3
Sep 29, 2009 5:33 AM
Jul 2018
Yes.
I play visual novels a lot
Both on the PC and PS2.
Most (or maybe all?) the otome games and yaoi game are visual novels, that's why.
I like the idea of chosing your own dialougues =3
Sep 29, 2009 2:13 PM
Jul 2018
The only ones I've finished are planetarian and Little Busters!. I've played parts of Clannad but I just plain like the anime more.
Sep 30, 2009 1:43 AM

May 2009
Playing:
Princess Waltz
Suika
Tears to Tiara
Yume Miru Kusuri

Finished:
Crescendo
D.C. ~Da Capo~
Private Nurse
Snow Sakura
Wind -a breath of heart-
X-Change

(Original English Language)
Katawa Shoujo Act 1
May Sky
Araiah
At Summer's End
A Dream of Summer
Forget Me Not
Open DayS
A Winter's Tale
[Phase Shift]
The Cute, Light, and Fluffy Project

Stalled:
Amorous Professor Cherry
I'm Gonna Serve You 4

(Original English Language)
Flood of Tears
Brass Restoration
From the Bottom of the Heart
Sep 30, 2009 9:42 AM
Sep 2007
Visual novels aren't games, so you actually can't play them.
Oct 1, 2009 2:52 PM

Nov 2007
That would depend on your definition of "visual novel" and "play"; many people consider games like Princess Maker and Utawaremono visual novels, or even Persona and Ar Tonelico

Currently going throug Aoishiro and Akaiito
Oct 1, 2009 7:57 PM
Sep 2007
You don't play visual novels, you read them.
Oct 1, 2009 8:18 PM

Nov 2007
I feel like my post was pretty self explanatory. Whether others understood it or not is beyond my control I guess
Oct 1, 2009 8:35 PM

Sep 2008
I've only finished one arc of Ever17, I have Clannad and Shuffle though; no time to really go through them.
Oct 1, 2009 8:41 PM
Sep 2007
That's okay, but still, you can't play VN-s.

Same as you don't ride apples, but rather eat them.
Oct 1, 2009 9:18 PM

Jul 2008
Asteriks said:

Utawarerumono has portions of the game that have to played, like literally. You have little guys with different fighting abilities and you have to position them and excute orders in order to win in battle.

Higurashi literally has you sniffing for clues. Some games you can finish by playing passively; in Higurashi you have to actively strive for a good end before you win and finish the game. This means you have to consider the clues and carefully asses any choice you make.

And Persona should be self-explanatory. Alternately one may argue that simply making decisions counts as playing because it influences the game and the ending of it as well. Then again, choose-your-own-adventure books let you do that too...you're right, VNs are mostly reading, though there is some gameplay involved as well.

People tend to classify them as games though, simply because it's software and therefore closer to a game than a book I guess.

Oct 2, 2009 7:28 AM

May 2009
I wish ;_;
Oct 2, 2009 7:49 AM

Sep 2007
Asteriks said:

You don't know how fun it is to ride and apple...
Oct 2, 2009 7:58 AM
Sep 2007
SunyiNyufi said:

You don't know how fun it is to ride and apple...
Ride and apple?
Aug 21, 2010 1:20 PM

Aug 2010
most definitely. i love them. haha.

FINISHED
ever-17
sharin no kuni
narcissu 1&2
true remembrance (<3 <3 <3 <3 favorite)
the letter
the world to reverse
planetarian
saya no uta
from the bottom of the heart
kana little sister
moonshine
symphonic rain

HIATUS
clannad (too long.. lololol. and i know the full story so it's not as fun)
tsukihime (finished arc's. i'll get to the rest.. later..)
fate/stay night (similar reason as clannad)
higurashi (THE FREAKING ART. it's blinding my eye)
sengoku rance (don't understand the game play. at all.)

i still have a huge list of ones that i need to play... lololl.
disclaimer: i don't own any of the graphics/pictures.
Aug 21, 2010 1:28 PM

Jan 2008
appleaday said:

It's so true. Umineko is probably worse too.

Oh, where did you get Narcissu Second Side? Still want to play it.
Aug 21, 2010 2:13 PM

Aug 2010
Seasonreaper said:
appleaday said:

It's so true. Umineko is probably worse too.

Oh, where did you get Narcissu Second Side? Still want to play it.

actually i heard umineko is slightly more bearable. but the thing is i dled all of higurashi and umineko's stuff already so it's a waste if i don't play it.. -_________-''

http://www.neechin.net/narcissu2/140/narcissu-2-download-page

hopefully it works.. otherwise, just google "narcissu 2 download" maybe throw in "english" as well. you should get it. there's a lot of links since it's a free VN.
Aug 21, 2010 6:34 PM

Jun 2008
Isn't visual novels just text...?
Aug 21, 2010 6:35 PM

Jan 2008
Zaikin said:

And adult CG.
Aug 21, 2010 11:14 PM

Aug 2010
Zaikin said:
Paul said:
Zaikin said:

And adult CG.

and voice (about 80% of the time anyway) the content of the CG depends on what you play although admittedly most are 18+.

but VNs are well worth trying out -- i think some have a better plotline, better characterizations than some of the anime/mangas out there in my opinion.
Aug 21, 2010 11:40 PM

Jun 2009
appleaday said:
Zaikin said:
Paul said:
Zaikin said:

And adult CG.

and voice (about 80% of the time anyway) the content of the CG depends on what you play although admittedly most are 18+.

but VNs are well worth trying out -- i think some have a better plotline, better characterizations than some of the anime/mangas out there in my opinion.

You know with storylines like Crescendo and Kana, I may just have to agree with you. Except for the fact that most VN's are actually pretty bad, from the ones I've played anyway.

I'm currently playing Kira Kira and it's pretty excellent thus far.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 22, 2010 12:39 AM

Aug 2010
^ i don't think i have had problems with VNs and super horrid storylines yet. But then I'm searching for the good storyline ones so I may be just avoiding them.

i don't know what you've played but if you want good storyline ones just go to vndb.org and then sort it by ratings. the entire first page (or at least definitely mid way through) has pretty good stuff.
Aug 22, 2010 2:28 AM

Jun 2009
I've only played two so far: Tsukihime more than a year ago and Saya no Uta which I just read today.

I never got into VNs before because I always assumed that they had really horrible, throw-away storys that were just an excuse for some hentai. That or they were all just harem, rom-coms like Da Capo. Both Tsukihime and Saya completely defied my expectations and, actually, I enjoyed reading them far, far more than I had enjoyed watching/reading any anime/manga I had watched before. So I'm starting to wonder whether those two are flukes or if VNs are all this awesome.

The only reason I'm still a little skeptical is because I suspect that those two are unique in their themes of insanity and the overall darkness of their stories. I honestly can't stand the stereotypical image of japanese eroges that I somehow got from watching anime: the cloyingly sweet story of the magical girl harem that illogically loves the otaku protagonist and gets into hentai romcom antics, all while completely neglecting the plot. In short: Da Capo.

Going to try out Ever17 the next time I have enough time.
Aug 22, 2010 4:53 AM

Oct 2007
Only played clannad, before AS came out.
Was pretty good, was tough getting the true ending lol
Aug 22, 2010 8:03 AM

May 2010
Oh~ I love visual novels, especially yaoi & otome games ;3

My favorite are probably Clannad, Kichiku Megane, Starry Sky series, Under The Moon, Kanon & Princess Maker 4, but now I want to play Little Busters!, Tomoyo After, Princess Maker 5, Pure Pure ~Mimi to Shippo no Monogatari~ , Dear My Friend and Real Rode :>
Aug 22, 2010 3:54 PM

Jul 2008
DrHouse said:
I've only played two so far: Tsukihime more than a year ago and Saya no Uta which I just read today.

I never got into VNs before because I always assumed that they had really horrible, throw-away storys that were just an excuse for some hentai. That or they were all just harem, rom-coms like Da Capo. Both Tsukihime and Saya completely defied my expectations and, actually, I enjoyed reading them far, far more than I had enjoyed watching/reading any anime/manga I had watched before. So I'm starting to wonder whether those two are flukes or if VNs are all this awesome.

The only reason I'm still a little skeptical is because I suspect that those two are unique in their themes of insanity and the overall darkness of their stories. I honestly can't stand the stereotypical image of japanese eroges that I somehow got from watching anime: the cloyingly sweet story of the magical girl harem that illogically loves the otaku protagonist and gets into hentai romcom antics, all while completely neglecting the plot. In short: Da Capo.

Going to try out Ever17 the next time I have enough time.

You should try Fate/Stay Night as well, if you liked Tsukihime. They contain similar elements. (Both are by Type-Moon.)

Aug 23, 2010 7:21 AM

Aug 2010
^ to add to that list. you should try chaos;head if you liked saya same creator. i'm playing it atm. pretty good stuff.
Aug 23, 2010 11:45 AM

Jul 2010
I love to play VN's. But the only ones I have are Tsukihime, KT, and Higurashi (for iphone). That's pretty much it. I would try FSN but my comp has no space for 1.6 Gb. I would need like something less than 500mb because I only have about 900mb of space left. Don't know if you would consider Melty Blood a VN because it's part VN and part fighting. :P I need a better laptop. Oh yeah, also waiting for Mahōtsukai no Yoru.

Aug 23, 2010 5:23 PM

Nov 2008
I do but my VN hayday has passed (I liked to read them much more when I was a teenager), I currently read Umineko (finished Ch. 7) and I did read Shukufuku no Campanella, but nowdays I'll pass on 98% of VNs, I rather use the time for other games and anime, but I will try 1-2 if there's something I like about it.

Aug 23, 2010 5:32 PM

Aug 2010
I love VN's, my fave's are (in no particular order) "yume miru kusuri" "princess waltz" and "snow sakura"

*eagerly awaiting the translation of Demonbane*
Aug 24, 2010 4:56 AM
Apr 2010
I'm a hardcore Key fan, and I've never really played anything else. I tried dabbling in Tsukihime, but the style didn't really appeal to me. I've also played two of the Pre-Key novels, ONE and MOON.
Aug 24, 2010 5:55 AM
Jul 2018
I have completed Shuffle!. Looking to get FSN. Clannad and Kanon are two others I'm interested in getting at some point as well.
Aug 24, 2010 6:16 AM

Jul 2008
I love playing otome VNs.Played:

...also played bishoujo VNs:

now I plan to play Fate/Stay Night, KEY novels,Sharin no Kuni and Shukufuku no Campanella
Aug 24, 2010 6:42 PM

Aug 2010
jda95 said:
I'm a hardcore Key fan, and I've never really played anything else. I tried dabbling in Tsukihime, but the style didn't really appeal to me. I've also played two of the Pre-Key novels, ONE and MOON.

how's one and moon btw?

lol. tsukihime's art style is very different from KEYs stuff indeed.. i mainly played it for the storyline but then given the fact that it's a doujin, it's very well done.

try sharin no kuni. the art styles are still different, but i don't think it's like a 180 difference the way tsukihime and key's stuff are. plus i think sharin's worth playing for the storyline. it's a linear storyline though with branching endings so just play for the main heroine.
Aug 25, 2010 6:52 PM

Aug 2010
I haven't found many that have grabbed my interest, but I do enjoy them a lot. I have spent many hours reading Umineko, still only on chapter 5 though. I absolutely adore this VN and despite taking up a lot of time to read I still intend on finishing it.
I've also read Saya no Uta, which wasn't nearly as long but still very enjoyable. I read it straight from start to finish in one go because I liked it so much.

I've always enjoyed the story aspect the most in games, and it is a nice change from readings books instead. The music and images just make it that much more enjoyable so that I don't get bored as quickly.

Unfortunately because they take quite a while to read and require a lot of attention, I haven't read any others. Although I am sure that once I have finished Umineko I will go on the hunt for more that grab my attention.

For anyone that enjoyed the Higurashi VN, I would strongly recommend the Umineko VN. It's far better than Higurashi, in my opinion of course. Although two of my friends have also agreed with me on that one. So I'd urge anyone to give it a try.
Aug 26, 2010 12:36 AM

Mar 2010
I'm readin- er I mean playing one that's called KiraKira..just a trial version though but it's really long for just a trial..finally finished chapter one after like 6 hours... my first one so far, only reason I started it was cause I seen this thread and was like "well that looks interesting in its own way" kinda sad I don't get to choose my path on this one as much as I like though...only about 4 or 5 times so far :(

Aug 26, 2010 12:52 AM

Feb 2010
I have only played one. Wanko to Kurasou. I'm a sucker for cute characters.
Aug 26, 2010 12:59 AM
Mar 2010
I've played three: Symphonic Rain, Fate Stay Night, and Umineko.

Speaking of Symphonic Rain, everyone needs to go play it. If you're asking why, youtube the gameplay. Not only that, great story routes too.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Minecraft???

_spoon_ - Nov 21, 2021

24 by VampireLord1024 »»
2 hours ago

» California’s new law forces digital stores to admit you’re just licensing content, not buying it

deg - 4 hours ago

1 by Lucifrost »»
3 hours ago

» Overwatch 2 x My Hero Academia | Collaboration Trailer

Old_School_Akira - 3 hours ago

0 by Old_School_Akira »»
3 hours ago

» Microsoft Office 2013+ on Linux

Agamendon - Jan 14, 2022

13 by RudeRedis »»
5 hours ago

» Thoughts on Zelda/Switch games?

coolyfruity - Yesterday

4 by lucjan »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.