Forum Settings
Forums

An anime that makes you bitter or salty because of a waste of potential.

New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Dec 7, 2022 7:16 AM

Apr 2012
Venusmon said:
Mayoiga!

A very good and unique premise but EVERYTHING was bad about that show. I literally think they might have made it so bad on purpose.

Rumor has it that the show was originally intended as a satire or meta commentary on so bad it's good horror anime.
Dec 7, 2022 7:18 AM
Jan 2020
RobertBobert said:
Venusmon said:
Mayoiga!

A very good and unique premise but EVERYTHING was bad about that show. I literally think they might have made it so bad on purpose.

Rumor has it that the show was originally intended as a satire or meta commentary on so bad it's good horror anime.

Why didn't they go with that at least then?
Dec 7, 2022 7:21 AM

Apr 2012
Venusmon said:
RobertBobert said:

Why didn't they go with that at least then?

Because being too explicit in so bad that it's good kills half the fun. Maybe.
Dec 7, 2022 7:51 AM

Nov 2021
You just said about wasted protentional?

Here we go:

1. Highschool dxd : not sure about this one i know if it had not fall into fanservice it would be much better!

2. redo of healer: Just think about concept of a suffered person that wants revenge and is serious about it (and won't become kind and forgives).it could be dark story and we could at least some character development in the series, but the outcome was just a hentai anime with wasted protentional.

3. Many isekai anime (and manga) that the author just has a good idea at first and then just pastes cliches after each other.

4. And mostly season 2 of aldnoah zero : some bullshit and nothing else(the ending was even worse)
5. uq holder: The idea is very good and without harem cliche it would be a lot better.
ErnestMacelDec 7, 2022 7:55 AM

third picture :re:zero reddit ( [Media] Emilia & Subaru in kimono by@51senre)
Dec 7, 2022 7:53 AM

Nov 2021
epidemia78 said:
Zero no Tsukaima could have been so much better if they had never introduced the elf girl. What a waste of space she is. Also if the fantasy adventure aspect was treated less as an afterthought, well then it'd be an easy 10/10 anime for me.

True as hell (couldn't agree more)
the elf girl was useless in the story and if she was never in the story ,other characters would have gotten more screen time.

third picture :re:zero reddit ( [Media] Emilia & Subaru in kimono by@51senre)
Dec 7, 2022 7:58 AM

Jan 2017
Yu Yu Hakusho. It somehow didnt exploit its full potential. I dont know the exact reason but after completing it i felt unsatisfied. This has never been the case with long running battle shounens for me.
Dec 7, 2022 8:03 AM

Jul 2017
There are millions of options I could suggest here but the first one that came to mind for me is Tower of God. I actually liked the content from the webtoon's first part, but the anime did rush it quite a bit. Especially in the second half when the tests became more complex and the anime made some questionable adaptation decisions and made the tests harder to follow. If I hadn't read the source, I might have been lost in some areas due to the pacing there. The world building has tons of promise, but the way the anime executed and adapted the source was not the best. Did not help that this had major expectations and was the first Webtoon anime too.

A second season is coming but given how dense and large that part is, with how the first season flubbed a couple things, my expectations in terms of the adaptation for season 2 are not very high. Quite a contrast to how hyped I was before the anime started airing in April 2020.
Dec 7, 2022 8:17 AM
Jul 2018
Although I still like it I think of Elfen lied as wasted potential since there was a lot of good ideas on the table but couldn’t even be brought in due to budget issues
Dec 7, 2022 8:27 AM

Sep 2021
Fate/Stay Night:
I know the visual novel is much better but I'm talking about the anime and switching from a character like Kiritsugu in Fate/Zero to Shirou and having nothing done with Saber felt like a slap in the face to me, I don't hate the anime I still liked the whole package but I was left kinda underwhelmed in some parts and those specific parts are what make me a bit bitter

Wonder Egg Priority:
I don't need to emphasize much, most people here already talked about it, the ending wasn't really good

Tower of God and God of Highschool:
webtoons that were actually pretty good that getting up getting average to bad adaptions

Seven Deadly Sins:
you all know what happened to it after S3

A Certain Magical Index:
mainly talking about S3 because I actually liked the previous seasons but yeah, it was sadly a very rough adaptation of a series with an incredibly interesting world

Tokyo Ghoul:
after S1 it just kept going downhill and got more confusing, its sad to watch all that happened to it with all the praise I see for the manga

Dec 7, 2022 8:51 AM
Jul 2018
My Hero Academia:

I really like the idea of everyone having their more or less unique super power. I know it has been done so many times before in every single medium but there is always unused potential to go in a very specific direction or have a unique way to use these powers.

My main problem with this series is that although every character has just a rough outline of what they can do they still only use the same three attacks every time. There are so many creative ways to use a power but in the end none of them are used.
For example Momo and her ability to create anything using parts of her body's reserved nutritions (or something like that). She could have been a badass fighter that uses a variety of tools and weapons that she creates during fights. But no, she just sits there half of the time creates fishing nets or does nothing.
Yes, abilities like Eraser's or All Might's aren't that flexible but they aren't the problem.

Another problem for me is that we are stuck with this boring cast of characters in class 1-a in the beginning even though there is such an interesting world outside the classroom. The show's cast is too big for it's own good. They can't develop that many characters but still insist to have all of them in the story.

I still enjoy My Hero Academia, I just think it could be so much more interesting

Black Clover has the same problems in my opinion but they also restricted the variety of spells that can be used so it's not that bad
Dec 7, 2022 9:18 AM

Jun 2019
Not sure I'd go as far as to say I was bitter or salty, but I finished S2 of Bokuben the other day and was really disappointed after a strong S1. But there are so many romance/rom-coms that have poor endings, unsatisfying resolutions or end on a cliffhanger and never get another season (thinking of Domestic Girlfriend here).

Twelve Kingdoms fell off in the last arc, could have been much better. The ending of Land of the Lustrous was so abrupt, hoping they make a S2, really could be a masterpiece of modern anime if they finish the story.

Ofc Wonder Egg Priority but that's been mentioned.
23feanorDec 7, 2022 9:27 AM
Dec 7, 2022 9:32 AM
Feb 2022
I think there are a lot of series like that, but Charolette is probably the first one I think of because I believe if they either made it a 24-episode anime or gave it a second season it would have had a much better ending than it did as it would not have been rushed like it was in the anime.
Dec 7, 2022 9:41 AM
Jul 2018
Demon Slayer really had potential, but I just don't like the characters too much. It's still a fun and quick watch tho.
Dec 7, 2022 1:58 PM

Nov 2022
Berserk 2016...

So much wasted potential.
Dec 7, 2022 2:24 PM
Oct 2016
Ousama ranking, i defended it to the death during the first 9 episodes but then it went downhill in quality. I still love it but it could have been amazing.
Dec 7, 2022 2:42 PM
Jan 2016
I just finished Wonder Egg Priority. It suddenly going off the rails at the end still hurts. It was so good up until those last few episodes.
Dec 7, 2022 2:46 PM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
Cross Ange, like who's brilliant idea was it to introduce a shounen harem MC halfway through the show.
Dec 7, 2022 3:00 PM
Jul 2018
ramazanova said:
Mahoutsukai no Yome. it makes me so frustrated. it was the first anime i'd ever been compelled to write a review on. it's so beautiful and i love the characters but judging by the overall reception, i feel like i'm the only one that thinks the whole thing was just a cluttered, pointless mess. it's so, so beautiful and could've done so much with its world-building but was just mercilessly muzzled by main characters that hardly move an inch from where they first started.

I thought the development is really realistic. In lot of other series it's rushed because they know that the audience is impatient, but realistic development takes time and also the manga is on-going and there will be a 2nd season. So it doesn't have to be finished in the 1st season.
Dec 7, 2022 4:29 PM

Jun 2022
There so many I could say, pretty much everything I scored between a 5-6, but if there is one that really stands out it's "Children of the Whales". The anime never makes full use of it's interesting world building and caste, focuses too much on melodrama and the pacing was bad.
Dec 7, 2022 5:18 PM

Nov 2019

Lol, I was thinking about Mayoiga no Oneesan The Animation and preparing to defend it 'til last breath, but everything is alright.
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Dec 7, 2022 5:21 PM
Jul 2018
prison school was o.k. until they went woke with the gamergate reference. but that ruined it
Dec 7, 2022 5:39 PM

Mar 2021
avgwhiteMALuser said:
prison school was o.k. until they went woke with the gamergate reference. but that ruined it

Just out of curiosity what is so upsetting about "gamergate" reference? I did a quick google search and found it was "a misogynistic online harassment campaign and a right-wing backlash against feminism".

Were you upset about an a licensing company changing just one short scene with just a few dialog lines or upset about the the reference in general. Because from where I sit, "Prison School" is far from being some "woke" Anime. Without understand much about this, it would seem as if the true nature was done just to troll the viewers who would get upset about something like this. Something that online right-wing misogynists tend to do anyways, which makes it ironic if it was done just to troll.
Dec 7, 2022 5:55 PM

May 2017
Lycoris Recoil is the anime that disappointed me the most with its missed potential. A yuri action anime with a gorgeous artstyle sounds promising. The problem is the ending to season 1 was rushed and anticlimatic and many interesting side characters like Mika get little development. I would've loved to have seen how Mika learned Japanese and moved to Japan, or how the hacker girl gained her skills. Instead, the show mostly has either episodic moments that only focus on the lead girls, or action scenes with little story depth. Without spoiling anything, there are multiple threats that are established way too late into the season and are not brought up again. I honestly would've preferred these plot points to either be introduced at the start of the season or held off until the inevitable second season. At the same time the relationship between the lead girls is really sweet and well executed. Their connection feels earnest. If only the rest of the story had the same attention to detail...
Dec 7, 2022 6:12 PM
Jul 2018
ColourWheel said:
avgwhiteMALuser said:

Just out of curiosity what is so upsetting about "gamergate" reference? I did a quick google search and found it was "a misogynistic online harassment campaign and a right-wing backlash against feminism".

Were you upset about an a licensing company changing just one short scene with just a few dialog lines or upset about the the reference in general. Because from where I sit, "Prison School" is far from being some "woke" Anime. Without understand much about this, it would seem as if the true nature was done just to troll the viewers who would get upset about something like this. Something that online right-wing misogynists tend to do anyways, which makes it ironic if it was done just to troll.

video games are for men but video game "journalists" were pushing to make gaming inclusive to women. Gamergate was our way to attack this corrupt "journalism" by harrassing girls on line. the people who wrote teh dub for prison school are a part of this corrupt system and made fun of us calling us losers and suggesting this way just male misogyny, which is a lie! why do western media companies disrespect us men like that i don't know. but they went woke, so they'll go broke if they havent already.
Dec 7, 2022 6:21 PM

Jun 2012
Promised Neverland Season 2. I've never seen a series take such a complete nosedive in the second season. Just EVERYTHING was wrong. In hindsight they should have found a way to end the series at the end of season 1, then it would have at least been a good standalone.
Shoot first, think never.
Dec 7, 2022 6:33 PM

Mar 2021
avgwhiteMALuser said:
ColourWheel said:

video games are for men but video game "journalists" were pushing to make gaming inclusive to women. Gamergate was our way to attack this corrupt "journalism" by harrassing girls on line. the people who wrote teh dub for prison school are a part of this corrupt system and made fun of us calling us losers and suggesting this way just male misogyny, which is a lie! why do western media companies disrespect us men like that i don't know. but they went woke, so they'll go broke if they havent already.

I don't even know how to respond to a reply like this, so I will just say this...

Wow I must have been living under a rock for decades. Didn't realize videos were only for men.
Dec 7, 2022 6:46 PM

Dec 2022
Definitely zero no tatsumaki and neon genesis.. sucks all down to the left
Don't you think
Dec 7, 2022 6:55 PM

Sep 2020
Vinland saga but there's going to be a season 2. Just basically most of my 7s and sixes. Snk final season part 2, Summertime meandering, and Call of the Night. I was invested in all these shows and they all dissapointed me in the stupid directions that their respective stories took. Because of how much they were able to entertain me at some point, I felt at least compelled to rate them a 7 or a 6. Could've been so much more tho.

𝒮𝑜𝓂𝑒𝓉𝒾𝓂𝑒𝓈, 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝒸𝒶𝓃'𝓉 𝓂𝑜𝓋𝑒 𝒻𝑜𝓇𝓌𝒶𝓇𝒹 𝓌𝒾𝓉𝒽𝑜𝓊𝓉 𝒸𝓁𝑜𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒹𝑜𝑜𝓇 𝒷𝑒𝒽𝒾𝓃𝒹 𝓎𝑜𝓊. - 𝑅𝑒𝒾 𝒦𝒾𝓇𝒾𝓎𝒶𝓂𝒶

Dec 7, 2022 8:01 PM

Sep 2021
Plastic Memories. ep1 was so good, setting the stage for a magnificent sci fi drama. Then the next few episodes focus on the company trying to harass the MCs to get together and throw away any potential.

Cheating craft. I can enjoy some absurdist comedy, like Kaguya-sama and Nichijou. This seemed like it was in the same vein. But then the first half just followed the same test of the week format, and the second half was just complete non-sequitur.

Hei Men starts out as a sci-fi mystery thriller with a great setting, good CGI, interesting concept. The first few episodes had me thinking this could possibly surpass the likes of Ergo Proxy and Psycho-Pass. But then, it's like they don't know what tone they are going for, and later in the season it feels like they are taking cliches from cheesy superhero flicks.
Dec 7, 2022 8:48 PM
Jul 2018
I think it will always be Monster for me, I think it has one of the best starts possible but I felt the series needlessly dragged on and dropped the ball on major scenes as well as Johan & Tenma's character.
Dec 7, 2022 9:07 PM

Apr 2019
Plastic Memories, Patema Inverted, the hibike movie, and 91 days
Dec 7, 2022 11:30 PM

Dec 2019
A shounen manga called Black Torch, it's another generic shounen like usual but i like the world and some character it has. Too bad it ended in only 4 volumes if i remember correctly. Another one is Wonder Egg Priority, i don't know wtf are they thinking with that
Dec 7, 2022 11:46 PM

Oct 2019
Mushoku Tensei
I thought it will be a fresh new isekai with very interesting idea of neckbeard redemption. But it's awful, I don't like any of the characters in the show. It's too focused on perverted things and mind of the MC which isn't unique and the MC barely improves himself
Dec 8, 2022 12:35 AM

Aug 2017
Choujin Koukousei-tachi wa Isekai demo Yoyuu de Ikinuku you desu!

^ this anime basically the avenger of isekai. but its kinda wasted with how underwhelming the story or the adaptation is
Dec 8, 2022 12:38 AM

Aug 2017
Mugglus said:
Ousama ranking, i defended it to the death during the first 9 episodes but then it went downhill in quality. I still love it but it could have been amazing.

Man, i already see this show will go downhile since episode 5.
Dec 8, 2022 1:24 AM

Feb 2016
babylon, it had a final credit scene that kinda ruined a good ambiguous ending

also, charlotte, there definitely should've been more episodes because the big super powers thing got solved too quickly, also main characters didn't really have a lot of chemistry to begin with
Dec 8, 2022 3:27 AM
Dec 2022
In my opinion, its 'The Detective is already dead'.

If you watched the anime, you'd know what I mean
Dec 8, 2022 3:27 AM
Dec 2022
Serafos said:
Death Note. I think the last episodes could have been a lot better.

Agreed, Death Note overall is a great anime but I couldn't sit well with the ending
Dec 8, 2022 3:41 AM

Oct 2019
just recently, cyberpunk edge runners.

it's still really good, but it could have been a lot better if it had double the episode count to tell the same story.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Dec 8, 2022 6:15 AM

Aug 2016
RobertBobert said:

So, it kind of accomplished its objective? I mean, being "so bad it's good" doesn't really work if you're actively trying to do that.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Dec 8, 2022 6:33 AM
Jan 2021
One piece... Why don't characters die?

If one piece was darker and more serious it would have been way better.

I still like it now but I think it would have been better if it was a serious as naruto
Dec 8, 2022 6:34 AM
Jan 2021
Kdog1998 said:
I think there are a lot of series like that, but Charolette is probably the first one I think of because I believe if they either made it a 24-episode anime or gave it a second season it would have had a much better ending than it did as it would not have been rushed like it was in the anime.
I don't know why people say Charlotte is rushed.. I didn't feel it tbh and its one of my favourite anime ever
Dec 8, 2022 10:49 AM

Apr 2012
-Ryu said:
RobertBobert said:

So, it kind of accomplished its objective? I mean, being "so bad it's good" doesn't really work if you're actively trying to do that.

This is just a rumor, don't take it for granted. But for some reason, quite a few people think it's intentional.
Dec 8, 2022 12:49 PM

Aug 2018
I recently finished a show called Strange Dawn:
https://myanimelist.net/anime/171/Strange_Dawn

The first episode was so, so full of promise. But by the second episode things started to go awry. At first I thought it was just a case of poor translation. A lot of the conversations were unnatural and didn't make any sense. But soon it became apparent that the show just plain sucks. I think the gimmick of tiny people was just an excuse to simplify the art and save money.
Dec 8, 2022 2:17 PM
Oct 2016
corysakti said:
Mugglus said:

Episode 7 and 9 were two of the best episodes.
Dec 8, 2022 2:22 PM

Apr 2012
Mugglus said:
corysakti said:

Do you recommend watching the show?
Dec 8, 2022 2:28 PM
Oct 2016
RobertBobert said:
Mugglus said:

Yes, it`s a really solid show. The animation takes a nosedive in the second half except for a few amazing episodes. There are also some parts of the story i did`t like in the second half but the first 9 episodes are close to flawless imo.
Dec 8, 2022 2:38 PM

Apr 2012
Mugglus said:
RobertBobert said:

Yes, it`s a really solid show. The animation takes a nosedive in the second half except for a few amazing episodes. There are also some parts of the story i did`t like in the second half but the first 9 episodes are close to flawless imo.

I sometimes have a strong desire to watch it, but I don't really like the character design. So I'm looking for strong motivation to finish this.
Dec 8, 2022 3:07 PM

May 2020
There are an infinite emount of titles I can name but I'll simply go for the most recent one Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom. I don't know what it is but I though for sure I was gonna love before watching it, but after finished I think there are way more negative then positive. It's all over the place regarding plot and character progression combined with a painfully soulless animation, not to mention how stupid the last third arc was (can't remember precisely but it was during the last five or six episodes). What a waste...

MAL is the perfect place to shit talk about people's opinions.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Which series should be watched by every anime enthusiast? ( 1 2 )

Rally- - Sep 23

74 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
8 minutes ago

» What Anime is boring to you ( 1 2 )

Kirika_Madeleine - Sep 24

57 by Serafos »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » Vampires

Shizuna - 6 hours ago

19 by MasterTasuke »»
16 minutes ago

» Are open-ended ending just lazy writing?

Dragevard - 3 hours ago

8 by Tirinchas »»
45 minutes ago

» Which anime(s) would any of your favorite characters watch?

IpreferEcchi - Yesterday

14 by IpreferEcchi »»
57 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.