Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Devil Is a Part-Timer! (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Jul 14, 2022 8:58 PM

Jan 2021
It’s actually been too long other people had to wait 9 years for a second season I only had to wait 2 years but anyway glad they finally made a season 2 this was great
Jul 14, 2022 9:06 PM
May 2012
For me from the first moment with that summarized reimagining of the first season's intro, the production made it very clear that: We're here to do worse! and throughout the episode this was only confirmed, art, comedy, direction... all weak. I waited 9 years for this?! what a disappointment (so disappointing that I'm even making my first comment)
Jul 14, 2022 9:15 PM

Jan 2011
in the new era of anime where anything can come back devil is a part timer was one of those top contenders so it's so strange to see it back

when this first came out it was a time before we were cursed with isekai's and doing a reverse version of that was so a neat twist

despite knowing its almost been 10 years so it makes sense it looks different but so much i couldn't tell if it was the reason i couldn't figure out the vibe i had watching this back then
was funny at parts hopefully this baby ends up making for some fun moments
Jul 14, 2022 9:56 PM

Feb 2016
I legit feel like I have lived up to this point just to see this getting another season, such a good anime. I love that after 9 years they didn't wasted any time doing a recap or trying that hard to introduce every character again, it is 100% sequel, right to the point. The cast is the same, the energy is the same, even the BGM is the same! I love it!

And yes, the new art is different, but I liked it, Chiho looks a bit more mature, Emi looks more cute, and the rest looks the same (Maou's hair is a bit messier tho), I'm happy with this, the more rounded faces and bigger eyes make them looks way more like the novel art and I can't see how that could be a bad thing lol, I agree it looks a bit more bright than s1 but that is totally fine.

I can't understand how people can be so mad about the art style change, s1 had a good art but this is equally as good, not to say it is better in some aspects, but they don't care, they have to always shit on something to feel good about themselves, I'm sure that at least 50% of the people crying about it watched the original when it released and never again, and at least 45% is people that juuust watched s1 so they can watch this one now and hate to see something one day, and on the next one see it changed a bit, they have 0 idea of what the fuck they are talking about. It's been 9 years and this still came back, and yet I see some people saying "this shouldn't came back if it was going to look like this!", I swear to god, you ungrateful cringing idiots.
Sorry if my english is bad (っ˘▽˘)っ~~~
Btw, cry about it.

Jul 14, 2022 9:59 PM

Jan 2021

She is too cute;-;

Jul 14, 2022 10:56 PM
Oct 2019
Yap, definitely what i'm afraid from studio changes really happen now...

Chiho face really bothering me...

also characters eyes looks different now...

feels like Season 2 gonna be dissapointing for a lot of old fans....
Jul 14, 2022 11:37 PM
Jun 2022
agak kecewa Ama style mukanya tapi tetep mantap lah
Jul 14, 2022 11:40 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
cockroaches, the ultimate enemy, and one of the anime classics. Can't blame them for freaking out.

*Maou calls Emilia a "stalker hero"*
Emilia: *Relatively calm*
*Maou calls Emilia a cutting board hero*
Emilia: "So you have chosen... death!"

Also, what the hell was with Chiho's reaction to being hugged by Maou? That was so hilarious.
And just like that Maou and Emilia are now parents. I'm lovin' it!

Jul 15, 2022 12:13 AM

Jan 2021
I've only seen Season 1 in 2020 so wasn't a long wait for me honestly
but I was looking forward to this
And the ending for this episode was nuts and I'm really excited to see how it's gonna go
I prefer the old artstyle but whatever
Jul 15, 2022 12:17 AM
Nov 2021
I rewatched season one to get ready and I gotta say compared to season one this episode feels cheap. The art, specifically for the characters, is so dull and the comedy felt unoriginal.

I have hope that it will still be worth watching it was the re-introduction episode after all.
Jul 15, 2022 12:27 AM
Dec 2021
StallionXD said:

And yes, the new art is different, but I liked it, Chiho looks a bit more mature, Emi looks more cute, and the rest looks the same (Maou's hair is a bit messier tho), I'm happy with this, the more rounded faces and bigger eyes make them looks way more like the novel art and I can't see how that could be a bad thing lol, I agree it looks a bit more bright than s1 but that is totally fine.

the more rounded faces and bigger eyes make them looks way more like the novel art

Let's compare that...

Here is the image for Light Novel 1 Emi. Notice her eyes and face.

Here is the image for S1 Emi. Again, notice the eyes and face.

And finally, S2 Emi. Again, notice the eyes and face.

Now it looks like this "more rounded faces and bigger eyes" is as if every character GAINED ALOT OF WEIGHT BETWEEN SEASONS.

I mean, even THE PUPIL IN THEIR EYE GOT FAT.

How does an eye pupil gain weight!?!?

I would definitely not call S2's characters "more mature" based on appearances.
Jul 15, 2022 1:13 AM

Jan 2022
Thank you for coming back, watching the first episode reminded me of how much I love manga from this anime. Even though I didn't read LN but what happened at LN made me stop reading manga from this anime. Even so I can only say I really liked the maousama chapter Working on the beach with the others and the Alas Ramus chapter being taken away by an angel.

maybe LN has destroyed my interest in this anime but the love for the chapters adapted for this anime has not disappeared at all.

Good start 5/5
“Life is never boring, but some people choose to be bored.”

— Wayne Dyer
Jul 15, 2022 1:22 AM

Feb 2016
Typecero said:
StallionXD said:

the more rounded faces and bigger eyes make them looks way more like the novel art

Let's compare that...

Now it looks like this "more rounded faces and bigger eyes" is as if every character GAINED ALOT OF WEIGHT BETWEEN SEASONS.

i said they look more like the novel art, not the exact same, the novel pic you posted and the s2 pic look more similar than the s1 pic, so idk what are you talking about here.
Who do you think you are to criticize on the art of an anime on the first place lol and if I think a character looks more mature it's my problem, why do you even care lmao
Also are you really complaining about the fact ANIME CHARACTERS HAVE BIG EYES? Oh my god, I was right, people don't know what the fuck they are talking about 🤣
Sorry if my english is bad (っ˘▽˘)っ~~~
Btw, cry about it.

Jul 15, 2022 1:29 AM

May 2020
Glad to be watching this again! The change in art style looks jarring (and less detailed) but it isn't the worst thing in the world (I'm sure I'll get used to it), my main concern graphics-wise is how the facial expressions turned out and how the characters look in certain shots (like Ashiya).
Again, not the worst thing in the world.
I prefer the OP and ED in the first season, but the new ones aren't bad.
Alas Ramus is just really adorable, I already read ahead of the anime (via the manga), but I'm hoping they make this a good adaptation (hopefully with less filler), I couldn't care less how the anime currently looks.
PokeProXJul 15, 2022 1:55 AM
Jul 15, 2022 1:54 AM
Mar 2019
This seems to be the season of sequels. The only way to top it would be to have a NGNL sequel, but we can only wish for so much...

“We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories... And those that carry us forward, are dreams.”
― H.G. Wells, The Time Machine

Jul 15, 2022 2:05 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
It feels surreal to have this back after, what is it now, 8 or 9 years??! But at the same time not so surreal in that it just feels like any other anime at this point, probably due to a rather drastic change in art style that alone really kind of makes it feel like something else entirely. I'll give it time to grow on me, for me to get used to it, but I'm pretty sure I don't speak for myself when I say I miss how it looked when White Fox did it.

Besides that, it doesn't even feel the same as before. It doesn't seem as funny as before, with the humour feeling even forced at times, and nothing really happened in this episode worth remembering other than the baby showing up near the end which did indeed spice things up a bit. It's just the first episode so no one should really be judging too early. But based on first impressions, idk, it just doesn't feel like it's carrying that same vibe as before that made us all love the first season. Again maybe it's the art-style change, but some of that life of the first season seems to have been lost.

Hopefully it returns more to form as we move on, but for now, I'm a little disappointed.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Jul 15, 2022 2:36 AM
Dec 2019
We talkin' character, let me keep with the facts
You are hiding a child, let that boy come home
Deadbeat mothafucka playin' border patrol, ooh
Wataru doesn't care about the genuine thing
Jul 15, 2022 2:38 AM
Dec 2019
They aint even hiding whos gonna win, doesnt mean I have to like it. Regardless this’ll be a fun watch
Wataru doesn't care about the genuine thing
Jul 15, 2022 2:54 AM

Aug 2013
It is so good to have this show and its characters back.

Ashiya almost lost it with Urushihara, and the censored cockroach was funny.

I can't wait to see more of everyone's reactions to Alas Ramus.

Jul 15, 2022 3:18 AM
Jan 2018
Certified MgRonald moment
Jul 15, 2022 4:21 AM

Jul 2021
Ah this was good. Funny as usual, got me smiling for the whole episode.

The animation looks great. The OP and ED are both top-tier, absolute bangers.

A cute little member is added to the gang now, she should be fun. She's looks precious. Demon lords taking care of a little child xD, their helplessness and trying to look after her is gonna be hilarious to watch.

5/5 episode. Looking forward to next one.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Jul 15, 2022 4:29 AM
Jun 2017
Ohh yes, its back and i love this one... we have some cute new character added in the last part of this weeks episode... lets see what her role will be
Jul 15, 2022 5:44 AM

May 2018
Damn, Maou-sama and Emi were having intense night battles for that to happen
Jul 15, 2022 5:49 AM
Sep 2020
I understand that is 10 years between but DAMN,I feel "uncomfortable" with the new art u.u I loved the mature look of the season 1,makes the discussions a little bit more adult let's say u.u
Jul 15, 2022 6:20 AM
Feb 2021
what the she dad and mom???
Jul 15, 2022 6:24 AM

Apr 2020
Ah some things never change, for me it was mere 7 months since I binged the first season but for some of y'all IT HAS BEEN 9 LITERAL YEARS. If you belonged in the latter group, you deserve a salute for waiting all these years, some of y'all were innocent teens back then and maybe now some of you have kids to worry about...anyways.

This show is still solid. Character designs may have changed, but deep inside they somehow are still the same. It's somehow funny how the "mysterious" vibe they've been feeling was actually a cockroach after all. Urushihara, Maou, and Ashiya are somehow scared of the little bastard, even Suzuno has to kill it for their sakes. But then a gate appeared, and hey atleast Chiho got that lovely accidental hug from Maou. Somehow a very cute little marshmallow isekai'd to them and pointed out Maou as Papa and Emi as Mama.....ladies and gentlemen a new dynamic to the show has begun and I'm lovin it!!!

Appreciate to Studio 3Hz on helping to bring this show back to us, and though the new style might look generic, as long as the soul of the show remains intact, I will not complain. We're eating this season!
Jul 15, 2022 7:13 AM

Jun 2016
the animation is kinda weird and a bit cheap !!

but atleast we got sequel after 9 years waiting !!
Jul 15, 2022 8:32 AM

Feb 2011
Glad to see a new season but man they butchered the art style, New loli character is cute as a button, and chiho is adorable

but damn the art is atrocious

Jul 15, 2022 8:50 AM

Oct 2015
Alciel's reaction towards the whole ordeal was the one for me.

The kid is cute, but I feel like the series is really forcing Sadao and Emi to be together as possible.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jul 15, 2022 9:16 AM

Sep 2020
I just finished s1 a few days ago, and s2 is here! Really funny episode~
Jul 15, 2022 11:37 AM

Jun 2020
I would express my opinion of the art but it looks like that's being discussed to death by several other people already so instead, i'd just like to say i'm really happy this series returned. Current opening isn't as good as previous one but i like how there are many nods to the S1 OP, like everyone walking together or Alsiel cutting vegetables, it really feels like the opening is saying "hey, remember that series you watched long ago? It's finally back!". I was a bit worried things might not be as funny as before but comedy and voice acting was still on point in this episode. Btw the ending tried to do something similar to the OP (just like in the 1st ed, we have a lot of focus on Chiho and it shows her on a swimsuit), would be neat if they make a second version that showed Emi and Suzuno more, but eh i doubt they'll bother. If there's a 2nd version it'll probably just show a bit of new characters.
Jul 15, 2022 12:22 PM

Apr 2010
Except fot Chiho, it's quite difficult for me to notice the difference berween this season and the prevous one (amd I finished the rewatch of season 1 today). Chiho seemed a bit darker, both hair and skin... oh well.

I thought it was some magical coacroach... about Moa and Emilia's "girl". I highly doubt she is, probably some kind of magic made her say this, but still interesting.

Jul 15, 2022 1:44 PM

Dec 2012
What happened to the art style seems off

Jul 15, 2022 2:06 PM

May 2015
People complain about the art but the subtitles are way worse. Calling someone they're close to THE DEVIL or MR. MAOU sounds so off, it's like they gave this to a random intern that doesn't have any idea of who these characters are.
Jul 15, 2022 2:17 PM

May 2018
What in In the name of the moon happened here?
Chibiusa...I mean, Chibiringo, is that you?
Jul 15, 2022 2:59 PM
May 2020
peak fiction is back. this episode was so random and i loved every single moment of it lol
Jul 15, 2022 4:36 PM

Sep 2011
Not gonna lie. I rewatched season 1 earlier this week and it still holds up. This, this was a downgrade but not terrible. The art style/visuals are a downgrade. People are over exaggerating it but it is worse which makes sense since 3hz is not a big name studio. Thankfully the voice cast is all back and they mostly still have it. Only one that stood out as off was Yoko Hikasa is not doing the same voice she did for Emi in season 1.
Jul 15, 2022 5:21 PM

Sep 2015
It was a fun watch, It really brought back the memories I had back then from season 1 .
August 6th 2023: Biggest upset ever, deception, selfishness, or scammed, manipulated. Heavy damage costs, and more. Days since: 15 Last updated: 8/21/2023

One Piece Episode 1041 & 1042 & 1047 & 1048 & 95.75%/1049 & 1053 were a mistake and Uta brought the salvation -AhriTheS3xyFox

Jul 15, 2022 5:27 PM

Nov 2012
Art is weird but not THAT annoying, hope the show gets better

My Candies:

Jul 15, 2022 6:10 PM

Jul 2015
Totally different character design and animation and It is really off-putting to me. looks like it will take me quite some time to get used to it as the old art style and animation are still fresh in my mind, even though I have seen it more than 6 years ago.

However, I am glad to see the gang back. It was one of the first animes that I watched when I started to learn and explore more about anime.

I hope that this season adapts the full volumes of the manga while making their own original ending :")

No more maou sadao looking hot in his demon form................
DeadAngel14Jul 15, 2022 6:18 PM
I am sleepy
Jul 15, 2022 9:52 PM

Apr 2013
The art seriously sucks. Chiho aint even cute looking anymore what a joke.

Also the entire ending sequence features Chiho like an absolute slap in the face to Yusa fans. Guess we know who the director is rooting for.
G_AkerJul 15, 2022 10:31 PM
Jul 15, 2022 10:26 PM
Jul 2021
Alright, I'll keep it short.

Don't get me wrong, I'm ecstatic this anime is finally getting another season after nine years of waiting, but there's some complaints I need to obviously say.

One: The animation. Again, I'm not gonna take it for granted. It's amazing there's another season now, and I only wish anime like Magi or Yona would get another season, I'm grateful this is, but the animation is just...lacking somehow. I like how the studio is trying to be closer to the light novel/manga art, but it's just not hitting. Ashiya's facial expressions for example. They're way too exaggerated (which it's a comedy, but still), to the point he almost looks like an old man, and he's a whole dilf in the manga.

Two: Pacing. I don't know, somehow it felt super off. It was almost all over the place or just wonky, if you get what I mean.

Three, and the final one I'll put: Scenes to the manga, if that makes sense. In the manga (I read the manga, not the light novels, so it may be different) when Alas-Ramus is introduced, there's much more action, confusion and scenes they never added, or were just too lazy to get to it felt. Like the apple chasing Emi, for example. They completely skipped over so much stuff. The episode itself felt like much more of filler than anything, an almost boring one, at that.

Maybe the studio is just trying to get into its groove, and maybe my opinion will change when it's dubbed (since I much more prefer it. It's much more comedic and the voice cast is amazing), but for now, if I were a new watcher who just finished season one and went onto the second, I'd be severely disappointed. The fun vibe is gone and it's gonna take a lot of willpower for me to continue the anime if the episodes continue like this.

Hopefully it gets better! Also, it's my first time writing a review, so sorry if it's wonky.
Jul 15, 2022 11:45 PM

May 2020
its back after nearly 10 years
damn
also the faces look kinda weird

Jul 15, 2022 11:47 PM

May 2020
Typecero said:
StallionXD said:

Let's compare that...

I think the s1 art looks much better

Jul 16, 2022 2:04 AM

Oct 2008
what a banger of episode 1 of S2!
9 years feels like it was just yesterday!
comedy was on point and chaotic!
5/5.

Jul 16, 2022 2:27 AM
Feb 2021
it lost its rawness, whitefox did the best
Jul 16, 2022 3:08 AM
Oct 2018
Kinda annoyed that the only things of note was the last 2 minutes or so. But i guess they can't reveal the baby from the start either.
Jul 16, 2022 4:21 AM

May 2015
Glad to see the series is back. With the reintroduction of the characters we know and love. Episode was pretty funny with the build up and anticipation of this threat. Only for it to be a cockroach. Then a mystical apple reveals a toddler. I like it!
Jul 16, 2022 5:27 AM
Apr 2021
Limi said:
Entirely different character design and animation.

It is really off-putting and not assiociating with the same vibe the previous season had.

I feel the Same,
the Intro is painful to watch, cause it's totally changed and the Demonking isn't as dark and cool as before. They Look all so Chubby round they're faces.

At least I enjoyed watching the first Episode. 😂
Jul 16, 2022 4:56 PM

Aug 2014
So good to have this anime back after almost 10 years. Enjoyable as always, and refreshing.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hataraku Maou-sama!! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2022

140 by JVskunkape »»
Jul 4, 3:28 PM

Poll: » Hataraku Maou-sama!! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2022

63 by JVskunkape »»
Jul 4, 3:09 PM

» Anime Rating 6.66

javanisgoat - Jul 14, 2023

21 by JVskunkape »»
Jun 20, 5:48 AM

Poll: » Hataraku Maou-sama!! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 1, 2022

101 by JVskunkape »»
Jun 20, 5:43 AM

Poll: » Hataraku Maou-sama!! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 25, 2022

102 by JVskunkape »»
Jun 13, 4:09 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.