Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jun 8, 2021 4:15 AM
Dec 2020
If you mean why do anime viewers root for Kira, it’s because you’re meant to. He’s set up to be the MC and you want to see him overcome every challenge he faces. Depending on your moral compass you may even approve of light being the executioner on convicted criminals, and the anime goes out of its way to highlight that crime has indeed severely dropped since light began killing criminals. The anime also tries its hardest to avoid stating the large amount of people light killed, so you focus more on him overcoming the challenge at hand instead of the hundreds of thousands of people he ends up killing. The same could be said about people rooting for Lelouch from Code Geass. Leleouch’s goal is to kill his entire family’s bloodline to destroy Britannia and its fascist ideals. Millions of people end up dying throughout his journey but the entire time the viewer still roots for Lelouch.
Jun 8, 2021 4:24 AM

May 2021
I sympathized with him but never really rooted for him. He is maniac who uses justice as an excuse for his God complex.
Jun 8, 2021 4:32 AM

May 2021
slimepoop said:
If you mean why do anime viewers root for Kira, it’s because you’re meant to. He’s set up to be the MC and you want to see him overcome every challenge he faces. Depending on your moral compass you may even approve of light being the executioner on convicted criminals, and the anime goes out of its way to highlight that crime has indeed severely dropped since light began killing criminals. The anime also tries its hardest to avoid stating the large amount of people light killed, so you focus more on him overcoming the challenge at hand instead of the hundreds of thousands of people he ends up killing. The same could be said about people rooting for Lelouch from Code Geass. Leleouch’s goal is to kill his entire family’s bloodline to destroy Britannia and its fascist ideals. Millions of people end up dying throughout his journey but the entire time the viewer still roots for Lelouch.

I'd say Light and Lelouch are very different characters though, despite having similarities. The most simple way to compare would be to say that Light is egotistical, but Lelouch {spoiler stuff ahead, just in case} treats himself as a tool as much as he treats others that way. I think that it's an important fundamental difference.

Also, I never understood the logic behind "root, because you’re meant to", a lot of people mention it. What does it even mean? Are people zombies? lol You root for the character you like, for whatever reason, or agree with, it has nothing to be with him being MC or not, or author's intentions. But if people indeed only do stuff, "because they’re meant to", it's quite sad.
Jun 8, 2021 4:34 AM

Apr 2016
I like his ideology of purifying all evil from this world. We live in corrupted society were you can walk freely out of a crime just because you have enough influence on the government or you have enough wealth to hire a bunch of big shot lawyers . In a system like this , we need a Kira.
Jun 8, 2021 4:36 AM
Dec 2020
-YaoiBoy- said:
slimepoop said:

I'd say Light and Lelouch are very different characters though, despite having similarities. The most simple way to compare would be to say that Light is egotistical, but Lelouch {spoiler stuff ahead, just in case} treats himself as a tool as much as he treats others that way. I think that it's an important fundamental difference.

Also, I never understood the logic behind "root, because you’re meant to", a lot of people mention it. What does it even mean? Are people zombies? lol You root for the character you like or agree with, it has nothing to be with him being MC or not, or author's intentions. But if people indeed only do stuff, "because they’re meant to", it's quite sad.
I brought up the comparison of light and Lelouch because they both commit very deplorable actions to achieve their goals. I agree that they are very different characters however, it wasn’t a very good comparison on second thought. I don’t know the exact psychology behind why people root for the MC, so I explained why I think people root for light instead of against him.
Jun 8, 2021 4:42 AM

May 2021
slimepoop said:
-YaoiBoy- said:

Also, I never understood the logic behind "root, because you’re meant to", a lot of people mention it. What does it even mean? Are people zombies? lol You root for the character you like or agree with, it has nothing to be with him being MC or not, or author's intentions. But if people indeed only do stuff, "because they’re meant to", it's quite sad.
I brought up the comparison of light and Lelouch because they both commit very deplorable actions to achieve their goals. I agree that they are very different characters however, it wasn’t a very good comparison on second thought. I don’t know the exact psychology behind why people root for the MC, so I explained why I think people root for light instead of against him.

Nah, I think it was a good comparison :) you didn't mean to analyze their reasoning or something deeper, not really the point here anyway, you just said that they're both MCs, who committed deplorable acts, which is true, not to mention other similarities. Yeah, the psychology behind why people root for the MC may be a lot more complicated than it seems.
Jun 8, 2021 4:48 AM
Dec 2020
I personally like him because of his ideology. Even though killing is a terrible crime, because of him about 70% crime rates dropped, the world was turning into a safer place even if it was because of fear of Kira. I wanted to see the kind of world Light had envisioned.
Jun 8, 2021 4:54 AM
Jan 2021
I root for Kira because it's well written. I like his character. Of course, I don't support his plans, but I enjoy watching how Kira carries it out. It's interesting to see his methods and his battle with L. Kira is a bit more intriguing, I guess.
Jun 8, 2021 4:58 AM
Nov 2019
mostly because they think lights hot
Jun 8, 2021 7:17 AM

Jan 2021
Are you on drugs
Are you on fucking drugs, why i root for kira?

───────────────────────────
𝕸𝖞 𝕻𝖗𝖔𝖋𝖎𝖑𝖊 | 𝕸𝖞 𝕬𝖓𝖎𝖒𝖊 𝕷𝖎𝖘𝖙 | ありがとう
───────────────────────────
Jun 8, 2021 7:19 AM

Dec 2020
Because Light is awesome, everything about him is awesome. Light is crazy and fun.
I like L's intelligence, but he is ugly and the way he acts annoys me since the beginning.
Jun 8, 2021 7:34 AM

Jan 2021
I rooted for him though I know what he did was evil. I don't think all he did was morally justified, but at his place I'd probably do the same things. Also, it's just an anime so why can't people root for evil characters in it?
they deleted my signature again so i'm not making a new one
Jun 8, 2021 7:53 AM

Dec 2012
Kira is flawed but his reasoning is something that's easy to sympathize with. It's undeniable we live in a rotten world where the wicked go unpunished. Yagami Light seems to be the only one who actually aims to rectify the status quo while everyone else just preaches boring one liners like "Murder is wrong" or "You're just a killer." Sure, he becomes drunk on power and loses sight of his idealism to pursue the pleasure of the hunt, but at that point it's just more exciting to see how long he lasts.

On another note, personally I would feel much safer in Light's ideal world.
Jun 8, 2021 7:58 AM

Jan 2021
_GinpachiSensei_ said:
kalebsmoker said:
1st off, People who like kira do not necessary like light yagami. That's an important fact.

2nd, most people who support kira, support the death penalty in real life, like me, so kira does what our governments refuse to do.

Kira kills criminals and the world saw peace. Governments stopped warring. Criminals hid like the crockraches they are. Even the lazy population decreased. Why would anyone hate kira? The cops literally fought kira to save scumbags from dying. How is that right? We civilians suffer from criminals daily and finally someone comes and takes out the trash and is demonized by the police.

Yes light was a womanizing asshole himself with a god complex. But his goal as kira, to rid the world of crime. So I say long live kira

The death penalty never lowers the crimes. Look at real-life examples, countries with death penalties do not have lower crime rates or murder rates than states without such laws. He never got rid of world crime, he only killed people who commit violent crimes, what about other millions of crimes that happen every day? His actions were not correct imo
lmao but we don't have a death note irl so you can't be killed if only some guy knows your name. How can you compare it to our world??
they deleted my signature again so i'm not making a new one
Jun 8, 2021 8:13 AM

Aug 2020
Aguy711 said:
Light was strait up an authoritarian. Towards the end of the series he even wanted to kill lazy people. Also he didn’t kill them people like Jim John un or xi king ping. He was fine with people committing murder so long as they were in government.

there are no jim jong un or xi ping in death note, what are you talking about
Jun 8, 2021 8:18 AM
Feb 2021
_GinpachiSensei_ said:
You might be a psychopath or something if you root for Kira because of his actions. What are your views about it?

so you think he should have let those those rapists or that criminal who hijacked the school do whatever they wanted
Jun 8, 2021 8:20 AM
Feb 2021
because he gets the job done unlike the dumbass law
Jun 8, 2021 8:21 AM

Aug 2020
because he reduced the crime rate by 70% while L, The task force, governments from all over the world and the FBI were twiddling there thumbs
Jun 8, 2021 8:28 AM
Feb 2021
Grunheidt17 said:
Because Light is awesome, everything about him is awesome. Light is crazy and fun.
I like L's intelligence, but he is ugly and the way he acts annoys me since the beginning.
charlieaustin said:
mostly because they think lights hot

i think that applies to L more than light, even though light was supposed to be the hot one L has more fangirls than light almost all light's fans are boys
Jun 8, 2021 8:32 AM

Jun 2021
TokuchiToua123 said:
because he reduced the crime rate by 70% while L, The task force, governments from all over the world and the FBI were twiddling there thumbs

It is not about anime anymore. I'm talking about people IRL who think he was morally correct. In my opinion, he was just a psychopath who killed everyone in his way for the so-called good world. He destroying the lives of both others and himself.
People liked him just because he left a Lasting Impression.
Jun 8, 2021 8:49 AM

Jul 2020
I used to roots on Kira but when he killed some innocent people that's where I stop rooting on him.
Jun 8, 2021 9:04 AM
May 2021
Maybe it’s because if the fact that’s he is only killing criminals that make the world better ig but I’m kinda in between
Jun 8, 2021 9:07 AM

Jul 2019
Philosophy above everything else. However, he is twisted.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Jun 8, 2021 9:13 AM

Dec 2020
I liked his idea but not how he executed it

People with boobs > people with no boobs.

My lemons > ur lemons
Please just send to profile ^^
Jun 8, 2021 10:44 AM
Apr 2021
TokuchiToua123 said:
Aguy711 said:
Light was strait up an authoritarian. Towards the end of the series he even wanted to kill lazy people. Also he didn’t kill them people like Jim John un or xi king ping. He was fine with people committing murder so long as they were in government.

there are no jim jong un or xi ping in death note, what are you talking about
death note is based on the real world but with death notes and shimigami added. You really think there where no horrible governments light couldn’t have death noted? It didn’t show him doing that so you’d assume he didn’t.
Jun 8, 2021 11:15 AM
Oct 2020
I thought light's understanding of the world was interesting. When he saw an opportunity, he took it, cleared the world of what he saw as sin while gaining the praises of the people on his way to take a crack at godhood
Jun 8, 2021 11:41 AM

Aug 2020
_GinpachiSensei_ said:
TokuchiToua123 said:

It is not about anime anymore. I'm talking about people IRL who think he was morally correct. In my opinion, he was just a psychopath who killed everyone in his way for the so-called good world. He destroying the lives of both others and himself.

READ THIS ALL IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHY I SUPPORT SOMEONE WHO KILLS CRIMINALS

NOTE: I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT LIGHT YAGAMI, JUST SOMEONE WITH POWER TO KILL CRIMNALS

if someone like him existed in the real world i would be rooting for them, i used to live in a third world muslim country and my family is christian (i am not religious at all) but becauseof my family i had tp follow religion, as i said it was a muslim country other religions were oppresed, you'll hear often hear news about young girls getting raped by muslim men mostly police don't do anything police here is shit, you can bribe them and they won't punish you, there are several cases where a rich man would kill someone and the police won't do anything, although something like that didn't happen to us but there were a lot of opression, but once our family got robbed and when we got to the police station they completely ignored us because we were christians, now tell me is this law ?? and this is not just a one time thing, things like this happens on a daily basis, if that's how law works and supporting someone who kills criminals makes me an edgelord i am happy to be an edgelord, i think you haven't lived a life where you have to go through injustice on a daily basis

sorry i think it got a little too emotional :)

but you are right too light killed a lot of innocent people and that's bad no matter how you look at it, and also people who were falsely accused

serialcowmilkerJun 8, 2021 11:51 AM
Jun 8, 2021 11:58 AM
Kii_Ibarra

Dec 2020
I would absolutely NEVER kill someone, nor would I condone killing somebody, but since Kira makes a point of only killing violent criminals who don't regret their actions and have no chance of turning over a new leaf (all those criteria are outlined explicitly by Light during the Yotsuba arc) I understand how/why someone COULD justify his actions, even though killing people whose only "crime" was trying to get in Kira's way is absolutely 100% unforgiveable

I did root for Light too, but my reason for rooting for him is that he's not real. Fiction and reality are two different things and I thought Light was more interesting than the other characters, so I rooted for him. Simple. Light may be a bad person (although I don't think he's AS bad as some people claim emphasis on "as") but he's an AMAZING character

Just a thought, but I do find it funny how a lot of fictional heroes have the motivation of "vanquishing all evil no matter what" and they're considered by their series's narrative to be good people, but because Kira succeeds in vanquishing most evil, Light's considered the villain within his series. That's just fascinating, not gonna lie
My greatest contribution to this website:
Jun 8, 2021 11:59 AM

Apr 2020
Honestly i couldnt stan L or Near, and i dont rlly have much of a reason for it. when i first watched it loved kira because he was doing justice, but now looking back he had a huge god complex and he wasnt all that smart either. He also killed plenty of innocent people
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 8, 2021 12:14 PM

Jun 2021
TokuchiToua123 said:
_GinpachiSensei_ said:

NOTE: I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT LIGHT YAGAMI, JUST SOMEONE WITH POWER TO KILL CRIMNALS

if someone like him existed in the real world i would be rooting for them, i used to live in a third world muslim country and my family is christian (i am not religious at all) but becauseof my family i had tp follow religion, as i said it was a muslim country other religions were oppresed, you'll hear often hear news about young girls getting raped by muslim men mostly police don't do anything police here is shit, you can bribe them and they won't punish you, there are several cases where a rich man would kill someone and the police won't do anything, although something like that didn't happen to us but there were a lot of opression, but once our family got robbed and when we got to the police station they completely ignored us because we were christians, now tell me is this law ?? and this is not just a one time thing, things like this happens on a daily basis, if that's how law works and supporting someone who kills criminals makes me an edgelord i am happy to be an edgelord, i think you haven't lived a life where you have to go through injustice on a daily basis

but you are right too light killed a lot of innocent people and that's bad no matter how you look at it, and also people who were falsely accused

I understand your point, people with heinous crimes deserve to die, but isn't it is a means of escape. It is more satisfying to see them suffer in jail for the rest of their lives than giving simple death. Also, there are some innocent people who are wrongly accused of the crime they never committed. In my opinion, nobody deserves to die. Killing criminals for their crimes is revenge, not Justice.
Jun 8, 2021 12:24 PM

Aug 2020
_GinpachiSensei_ said:
TokuchiToua123 said:

I understand your point, people with heinous crimes deserve to die, but isn't it is a means of escape. It is more satisfying to see them suffer in jail for the rest of their lives than giving simple death. Also, there are some innocent people who are wrongly accused of the crime they never committed. In my opinion, nobody deserves to die. Killing criminals for their crimes is revenge, not Justice.

yeah i understand your point as well, everyone has different ideologies but killing them would be better so they can't commit a crime again, many people would commit crime after getting release from prison
serialcowmilkerJun 8, 2021 12:34 PM
Jun 8, 2021 12:37 PM
Mar 2020
I like his character but i don't think he's doing the right thing. Nevertheless it's a show.Its for entertainment purposes only
Jun 8, 2021 12:42 PM
Jul 2018
To be honest, I can't really tell you. I admire Light for his intelligence and writing as a villain. But I can't agree with the methods in which he went about obtaining his goals. He was a hypocrite to his own philosophy about evil and became the very thing that he was fighting against. He manipulated and killed innocent people who questioned his motives and got in his way.
Jun 8, 2021 2:16 PM

Nov 2017
I usually root for the protagonist, that's why than
"he has it big as a cactus
but he won't let go of my head
and I puke on his cock bitch" - Boy by Fishball 
Jun 8, 2021 4:37 PM

Mar 2021
_GinpachiSensei_ said:
TokuchiToua123 said:

It’s not killing criminals that Light is doing, it’s the ability to oppressive those outside the reach of righteous law. You built your argument around law is absolute justice while he’s presenting a situation where law itself is corrupted. So if the authorities itself is the source of injustices who put them to jail.

From 1st country with a refined justice system it’s the norm and easy but even 2nd world like India, Thailand, etc. having many history like these like alone 3rd world countries.

Then there’s also situation where criminals don’t even cared about getting jailed and redo the same crime after their sentence is done.
Jun 8, 2021 4:53 PM

Mar 2021
Reading through the forums I can’t help but think many take it at face value. The symbolism of Kira is the exact reason why the death penalty remains controversial to this day yet many countries still practices it. It might seem like an edgy teenager playing god but it’s really a question of what justice is. What’s wrong with using absolute power to fear people from committing crimes? The series shows how psychological oppression worked.

Taking a step back on why I think the author also condemned it simply because it’s too idealistic. Power almost always comes with corruption, many examples of monarchs and military countries. It’s shown in the series how the notebook corrupted Light and how he swayed from his initial goal. Rooting for Kira for its initial goal isn’t wrong in fact it was more so glorified in the first half of the series. This is why I’m ok with rooting for Kira and accepting that ending.
LustKamisamaJun 8, 2021 4:59 PM
Jun 8, 2021 5:53 PM

Oct 2015
because he's hot, duh
⠀     ‧     ⠀
Jun 8, 2021 6:26 PM
Jul 2018
Personally I agree with the whole "kill the criminals" thing
Jun 8, 2021 7:11 PM

Jan 2020
Most people he killed are prisoner , murderer , and anyone who were against him . We didn't saw any POV of criminal who were killed by him so we can't emphatize to them, so yeah god complex go brrrrrrrrrrr
Хайде, хайде, хайде, това е първата зона, брато, първа зона, първа зона, добре, добре, добре, това става тук горе, отива тук горе, само спокойно, само спокойно... Ха, отдясно е, навсякъде отдясно отдясно къде е дясното ти о да добре добре добре тихо мълчаливо не успях да се съсредоточа върху това ЕХ ТЪПАК КОГАТО СИ БАВНО БАВНО ... ой е путката на моето момиче прасе куче, аз Чувствам се добре, о, мамо, *шамар*, какво е това госпожице татко-
Jun 8, 2021 8:44 PM
Apr 2021
Well isn't it obvious, he killed criminals and saved lives, but I personally don't root for kira aka light yagami because I'm a Christian and I believe no human can be God or has the right to decide who lives or dies.
Jun 8, 2021 11:30 PM

Jan 2021
This post is waaaaayyyy getting too political, I like kira (Light Yagami) because he's one of the most well written character I've seen.
Jun 8, 2021 11:59 PM
Jun 2021
for some reason i wanted to see him win as everyone is covered in despair
Jun 9, 2021 2:10 AM

Mar 2019
Kira is obviously a sociopath...

That being said I think some people approach the show with more nuance then simply "Kira bad. L good." Not that Kira isn't the bad guy, but on some level you can understand what he's doing. I think a lot of people have had the thought before that all the bad people out there are basically ruining the world and it would nice if most of them were gone. Most people will next understand though that justice has to be fair and you have to have proportionate sentencing. You can't just kill all the bad people in the world.

In that sense, I think people identification with Kira may come from a more childish sense of justice that we may have once thought but now with a more mature mind recognize as wrong and flawed.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 9, 2021 3:20 AM
May 2021
Mostly because he was the protagonist so I kind of felt obligated to be on his side and didn’t really care that much for the other characters. Also I thought of his actions hypothetically.
Jun 9, 2021 5:45 AM
Dec 2020
Well I think rooting for him goes automatically, since the original Kira is the protagonist. I'm at episode 21 now, and I have no idea if I need to root for L or Kira. Of course not the guy from Yotsuba, but Light. I like both of their characters, and I know I would do the exact same as Light if I were Kira, killing bad people. So I really don't know who to root for.
Jun 9, 2021 8:27 AM

Feb 2010
_GinpachiSensei_ said:
You might be a psychopath or something if you root for Kira because of his actions. What are your views about it?
not sure honestly not even the author likes Kira. hes suppose to be a VILLIAN protagonist.

i think the only psychopathic character i think made good points in fiction was Kimbley, but that's because I like his philosophy about dedication and hypocrisy, but i don't root for him to win.
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Jun 9, 2021 11:01 AM
Aug 2020
BECAUSE KIRA IS GOD
Jun 9, 2021 2:40 PM
Dec 2020
_GinpachiSensei_ said:

I root the original Kira, but at the end he became a piece of shit like the people he hated. Even with that, in the final arc I rooted for him because after that death he is the best character in the show, so I want him to win just because I dislike his enemies
Jun 9, 2021 2:50 PM
May 2021
I don't believe one is a psychopath for rooting for him, as being a psychopath means you lack empathy. The problem with Light was he developed a God complex. In my opinion, he lost his morality the moment he attempted to kill L and that Lady. I see nothing wrong with ridding evil. That's why I fuck with Lelouch heavy. Light was kind of a punk but he had the right 'idea'
Jun 9, 2021 5:53 PM

Apr 2021
Light is a God of <The New World>and that a fact!
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Death Note Episode 37 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Boursk - Jun 27, 2007

946 by InClouseau »»
Sep 18, 12:57 PM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

kei-clone - Mar 3, 2007

142 by vjcecilio »»
Sep 18, 5:13 AM

Poll: » Greatest Wits

tsubagakure - Sep 15

11 by deg »»
Sep 17, 1:13 AM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Zel - Jun 7, 2007

100 by kyledluffy »»
Sep 11, 8:57 PM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

so_addictive - Jun 30, 2008

167 by kyledluffy »»
Sep 11, 12:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.