Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jun 20, 2020 12:47 PM

Feb 2015
Well that was a great way to ruin a completely serviceable anime. A certain quote about rushed games comes to mind. This ending makes everyone seem like a trash person, moreso than they already seemed, and came to such an abrupt stop it gave me whiplash.

Rou is still an unlikable, selfish, petulant brat with no self-awareness, Shinako is an indecisive selfish, emotionally stunted coward, Rikuo is no different and incapable of expressing the most basic of emotions or thoughts, and Haru has no self respect and doesn't know when to move on. All of these things could have been resolved with time and character development, but instead of resolving these issues, this ending highlights them.

This could have been pretty good, and kinda was up until these last couple episodes. They all (sans Rou tbh), could have ended up half decent, but nope, gotta rush an ending instead of waiting to make a decent one, or not doing one at all.
YautjaJun 20, 2020 1:02 PM
Jun 20, 2020 12:49 PM

Mar 2018
This show started out really strong but got progressively worse and the ending is horrible. The whole series seemed to be building towards a relationship between Rikuo and Shinako and then they through it all out in the final episode. 5/10
Jun 20, 2020 12:51 PM
Jun 2019
I'm sooooooo glad and happy that tiny sparrow(that is how i name haru) finally won!
I don't care what Shinako or even Rikuo will do.
I was Haru fan from beginning to the end!
Jun 20, 2020 12:53 PM
Nov 2014
Yeah... I hate it, thanks.

I really don't know if it's better in the manga, but I always saw Haru as a creepy stalker who's imposing on Rikuo since he's too much of a wimp/too kind to tell her off properly. I'd be high-key scared if a stranger was almost always waiting for me to get out of my workplace to impose themselves on me after.

Here goes me hoping the two adults in this show get together and leave the kids alone to figure themselves out.
Jun 20, 2020 12:54 PM

Jul 2015
Such an unexpected ending!
Was waiting for the 18 episode, beating around bush and finally the Shinako X Rikuo but damn that was something.
I know it was rushed and all, especially compared to the rest of the show but im not complaining, actually kind of liked it, so +1 to the overall score, 9/10!
Jun 20, 2020 12:54 PM
Apr 2019
XaneKudo said:
NakolHira said:
My question is,
was there any sorts of development Between Haru and Rikuo? Sorry but I can't remember anything at all.

There was, but definitely not enough for him to jump ship almost right after he broke up with Shinako. At best, the dude had mixed feelings towards Haru, at least romantically.

Him getting with Haru isn't a bad thing, and it was the ending of the manga, but considering that there are still 6 extra episodes, you'd think that they'd put that kind of development there.
you are wrong there, this is the last episode. That's why I'm more sad. More like I'm frustrated to this point I'm rewatching Kaguya's todays episode.
Jun 20, 2020 12:56 PM

Feb 2018
What the fuck is this shitty ending, such a ridiculous plot and writing, how tf can Shinako and roushit even be a thing what the hell. Rikuo and Shinako galaxy brains realising they don't love each other so they should just give into the entitled teenagers obsession and call it love

This would have been way better if everyone went their separate ways like kuzu no honkai
Jun 20, 2020 1:00 PM

Sep 2008
Currently watching this episode. Throughout the series, I did like the premise it explored with each character having their growing pains to deal with as young adults. But at least with recent episodes, I kept getting the impression there were details in-between with story and character developments that were left out of the series to keep things focused on the romance developments with Haru, Rikuo, Shinako, and Ro. Getting a chance to read through bits of the manga source material, that seems to be the literal case as it seems a good deal of material regarding all four characters and those close to them were deliberately cut out of the series. A bit of a crying shame too, as it seemed the series could have benefited from having an extra cour for more time to flesh out and develop its story and characters.
Jun 20, 2020 1:03 PM

Sep 2007
i had high hopes for this since i thought i'm finally getting post uni/adults romantic anime but i guess all stories end up the same eventually and the high school kids who are the center of the world apparently get all the attention

i always say that i will not watch romantic animes anymore but i end up doing it so i guess i'm to blame here 🤷‍♀️

i know this is not the place to say this but it sucks to be an adult anime fan since its hard to find something that isn't centered around teenagers which makes it even harder to relate to an anime lately
Jun 20, 2020 1:05 PM

Aug 2014
Damn that was lame. 11 slow episodes. (one supergood one with the orange hair girl). Then "nah, fuck this" solve everything in 12 mins while nothing more or less happened for 11 eps.... The pace was so off Xd

Is it so hard to do universe romance in japan or what is the problem...

Went from 8 to a 6/10
Jun 20, 2020 1:05 PM

Sep 2017
Ahh... anime fans and the eternal "I don't like this character because it's not my ideal of a character" mindset and the "I definitely wouldn't behave like that" illusion. People are flawed, it that simple.

But, that ending was really rushed, total lack of development.
Overall the anime was pretty good. 8/10 (7.5 ish)

Jun 20, 2020 1:06 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Okay, my mind is a mess now. I don't even know what to rate this show honestly so I'll just be leaving it for tomorrow.

I could tell Shinako x Uozumi wasn't going to sail well honestly but I don't see how this correlates to Uozumi supposedly in love with Haru. Moreover, possible subtle implications that Shinako might be harboring some romantic feelings for Rou. No way.

Uozumi's monologue in the bus, if anything, confirmed that his feelings towards Haru certainly wasn't of love, I felt. Haru-chan really deserves better I must say. Really liked the conversation between Uozumi and Shinako though. I'm not going to say I saw it coming but it really felt more natural this way, to be honest.

At this point, I think I'm more glad that Kyouko-san is going to get married soon. It's a real pity considering how this show was like a solid 9/10 at one point for me. But then, these last two rushed episodes in particular dragged it down.

Kinoshita-san should've made a return and I'm sure he could've set things right, lol.

In all seriousness though, the first 8 episodes or so of the show was fantastic and it made Sunday mornings all the more special. I've seen a couple of posts on CR where the ADs gave us some insight into the production, and I'm truly thankful for that. Doga Koba with their realistic touch was brilliant.

Changing the episode count from 18 to 12, or rather keeping this vague until the very end coincidentally when things started to get a little rusty definitely wasn't a great idea though. Production of the show finished last year apparently so the COVID-19 couldn't possibly have been a reason. But then again, it might've been the Production Committee entirely but I'd just like to get that across anyway.

I don't know about a re-watch in the near future (which I'd planned at like Episode 6) but I know that ED 1 packs a punch at least. A (half) cour to flesh things out more could've ended on a so different note...

I'll drop it a 7/10 for now but I'll think about it once I wake up later this morning.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jun 20, 2020 1:06 PM
Oct 2019
The show's director's favourite anime adaptation is Tokyo Ghoul. I can bet my life on it.
Jun 20, 2020 1:07 PM

Jul 2014
After finding out last week that this show would only have 12 episodes I was worried about the ending but I'm surprised at how good it was, at least imo.

Since he started dating Shinako, you could tell how awkward things were between them and how Rikuo started noticing things. Taking this into account, and what happened at the beginning of this episode, their break-up was inevitable. A little sad how things ended between them but it was for the best and I liked how it happened.

Crow is best bro! Rikuo and Haru had the best chemistry and it was my ship so I'm happy. Rikuo's doubts, his awkwardness and embarrassment as well as the confession felt natural. The punch and kiss were great :D

But there's one thing I didn't like, and that's Shinako's development, or lack of it. It's sad that she's never been able to move on from her past, and even Rou, who I never liked, is finally trying to do so... but then Shinako strikes again. It's even sad, and I hope Shinako-san's family love won't evolve into something romantic.

So yeah, I really liked this show, my favorite aspect has to be Rikuo's growth through it. Sure, I would have liked the 18 episodes that we initially thought would be to develop certain things better and watch some more of Rikuo x Haru, but all in all, it was satisfying. I hope that at least the last extra is about their date.
Jun 20, 2020 1:16 PM

Dec 2015
8/10. It was a good romance anime. Better than your usual shounen romance. And it was a good way to end it - though I would have been interested to see how their relationships progressed after that. (But from how I understand it even the manga didn't go a lot further beyond that point.)

As someone that knows only the anime ... I don't miss any stuff left out. It actually felt a bit lengthy at some points ... with Shinako not being able t make up her mind.

A lot of stuff preventing it from a 9/10 for me. But that last conversation between Rikuo and Shinako made this last episode a good and fitting end. So solid 8.

I liked how Rikuo grew and how he (instead of Shinako) realized that their relationship didn't have any future. Also how the atmosphere between them then was less tense. (And with Haru it was more tense and he acted shy. :D)
Jun 20, 2020 1:21 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
I liked the how this episode finally pointed out that Rikou and Shinako were too nice for their own good and that a relationship between them wasn't going to work out. In the end it was better off that they just stay as friends.

I give this show a 6/10.
Jun 20, 2020 1:25 PM

Oct 2010
9/10. Probably really 8.5 though. Haru was amazing but the ending was rushed quite a bit. Other than that though, it was fantastic. Honestly only kept it at 9 because seeing Haru finally happy was worth it.

Vaniyaa said:
Great ending because Rikuo didn't end up with Shinako, LMAO.
Unfortunate that it was so rushed, but I didn't hate it, honestly. I don't agree with the "Why would Rikuo suddenly go for Haru" thing, because there have been implications for Rikuo feeling uncertain about the relationship with Shinako and him still thinking about Haru. Things did go a bit too fast, but I didn't feel like it was illogical or unreasonable. I wasn't even actively hoping for Haru and Rikuo to end up together, I just wanted them to be happy, but both of them looked like they were, so I'm satisfied. :^)
I don't like the idea of Shinako being in a relationship with Rou, but it wasn't necessarily confirmed I guess? So I'll just choose to live with the delusion that they're not actually together, haha.

The ending definitely could have been handled better, but I'm glad both Rikuo and Shinako realized their relationship wasn't working at ALL and decided to go their separate ways. I really wish we could have gotten the 18 episodes instead of just 12, but oh well. I still thoroughly enjoyed the series and felt very invested in it and its characters throughout the whole run, despite the last episode being the epitome of rushed.

Well said! Now I don't have to write it all out lol The whole Shinako X Rou thing just seems weird to me
Jun 20, 2020 1:26 PM
Apr 2020
Damn it! I don't like the ending! They played with our feelings. I was really invested for the Rikuo x Shinako ever since they changed the ED, the Haru game over ED. Since that ED, everything is leading to Rikuo x Shinako up to episode 11. And on the last episode, all of a sudden, their feelings changed?! They could've continued with the Rikuo x Shinako route. After all, Rou and Haru, after being broken hearted, are both on the process of moving on. Their relationships were forced. I'm disappointed about the ending!
Ao_SkyJun 20, 2020 1:30 PM
Jun 20, 2020 1:28 PM
Nov 2019
Ooof - they skipped a whole load of chapters - no point in wading through all 113 chapters of the source material.

The only decent relationship here is the shop owner (Kyouko-san?).

Finally Rikuo grow enough balls to realise that there was absolutely no future dating Shinako as she was harbouring too many feelings for Rou and his dead brother that he could never compete with so the best he could hope for was being friend-zoned forever...

At least his relationship with Haruo (the stalker) has some chance of going somewhere, even if it doesn't work out at least it'll be more of a positive experience that staying as Shinako's lapdog, he may even get laid....

So will the final "Extra" be based on chapter 114 (April's special chapter) as that'd be the icing on the cake....
Jun 20, 2020 1:29 PM

May 2015
LOL.

It's like 11 episodes went i slow-motion and the last one was like: KDSJLDSJKLJDLSJDSLJFLJLSJDDHDHKFSJ LOVEUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUIWASWRONGWHEREISMYPIZZAWHATISLOVEBABYDONTHURTME

"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jun 20, 2020 1:30 PM

Jul 2012
The plot just felt like a whole lot of nothing. t wasn't even that dramatic, just straight up boring. I don't really feel any attachment to any of the characters except for maybe Shinako, but that's it. This for sure was a rushed show, and the story telling certainly suffered because of it.

I'll still be giving it a 5/10 though because I believe the environment, animation, and music were all 8 or above saving the anime from a really mediocre story.

I think this is proof Dogakobo should stick with it's slice of life cute girl anime instead of trying to be all dramatic.
Jun 20, 2020 1:31 PM

Sep 2008
And yeah, not really a fan of how the anime chose to resolve things with the romance developments it built up as it looked rushed. Granted, things were shown to develop in the same direction with character relationships in the manga as well. But there were a number of story and character developments dabbled into in the manga source material for this series that appeared to be deliberately cut out from the anime so it could dabble more into the romance developments involving its central characters.

Due to this, probably would rank the series as a whole a 6/10. Liked the first half, but things stumbled in the second half when the series chose to shaft focus on the individual developments of the characters and focus more on its romance developments instead.
Jun 20, 2020 1:32 PM

Apr 2015
I am legit confused that my brain can't comprehend, when did the entry get changed to 12 episodes??

To see that this episode is actually the serie finale, was really disappointing. Don't get me wrong, the Rikuo x Haru ship had to happen, but this came out of nowhere. I would have atleast expected a few more epiosdes with development between Rikuo and Haru before ending the show. Oh well... a real shame, cause this had great potential to be AOTS for me!

A few positive things though..

Glad for the Haru ending, always liked her more than Shinako, eventho Shinako was getting better in the later episodes!

I feel like the bench scene was amazingly done, the backgrounds was beautiful as always, emotions were captured nicely!

That punch Haru gave Rikuo, she thought she was dreaming! XD Oh my word, Haru's face! So Precious, eventho this ending is incredibly rushed, best girl won and I couldn't be happier!

7/10 or 8/10, whatever it will be in the end, cause right now I have no idea myself, could have been a 9/10 if it wasn't for this rushed ending! Art-style is great, with amazing background art and great facial expressions!

_MushiRock11_ said:

Changing the episode count from 18 to 12, or rather keeping this vague until the very end coincidentally when things started to get a little rusty definitely wasn't a great idea though. Production of the show finished last year apparently so the COVID-19 couldn't possibly have been a reason. But then again, it might've been the Production Committee entirely but I'd just like to get that across anyway.

And here I was thinking the show became another victim of COVID-19.. since that has been ruled out, makes it an even bitter pill to swallow! I had been looking forward to the remaining 6 episodes, only to find out today that it''s only going to be a 12 episodes show....
CeddyyBearrJun 20, 2020 1:39 PM
Jun 20, 2020 1:38 PM
Jan 2018
Very conflicting experience, can't say if I am fully satisfied or not. Enjoyed it a lot tho.

P. S> MAL won't let me mark it as completed it's "still airing"
Jun 20, 2020 1:39 PM
Apr 2020
Although I loved the manga and the first episodes of the anime... the ending was ah... so rushed... We didn't see the struggles in the relationship of Rikou and Shinako. Just a few scenes. And this break-up... man...

7/10 from me to the anime. I liked the characters a lot, and I especially loved the atmophere of almost every scene. But... But... :(
Jun 20, 2020 1:42 PM
May 2014
well, chapter 113 was garbage and this is clearly better than a dumb cliffhanger ending

Edit: ah shit, Yesterday wo Utatte Haishin-ban Episode has 1 more episode, i hope the dying breath will not ruin this
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 20, 2020 1:51 PM

Apr 2018
So why was this show called "Sing yesterday for Me?"

In all seriousness. What was this ending about? Talk about a 360° turn. How low is Haru's self esteem to accept being sloppy seconds?

The pace of this episode was hot crap, the resolution was awful, this was a waste of time. I give it a 5/10 just because I enjoyed the first half of the series but I will surely forget about this series by tomorrow.
Jun 20, 2020 1:53 PM

Jan 2018
WTF happened to the last episode?!?! I'm team shinako but I'm not mad why they broke up but because of the fucking RUSHED ENDING!!!!!!
Jun 20, 2020 1:57 PM

Mar 2017
That's the end?! I thought there were 18 eps?! Shinako and Rou's story had no closure and Haru and Rikuo's needed fleshing out more so that it didn't feel like Haru was just the backup and totally fine about it!

I had high hopes for this anime but after 2 eps it went stale and nothing really happened until this episode which makes the conclusion feel rushed.
Jun 20, 2020 1:58 PM
Sep 2013
cristinacke28 said:
well, chapter 113 was garbage and this is clearly better than a dumb cliffhanger ending

Edit: ah shit, Yesterday wo Utatte Haishin-ban Episode has 1 more episode, i hope the dying breath will not ruin this

i subbed it myself, it was quite a nice closure tbh
Jun 20, 2020 1:58 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
@CeddyyBearr I totally agree with your points above. With a little more time and careful handling, this could've easily been a 9/10.

Anyway, here's the main reason why I've @ you. Source to my point regarding the production.

=> https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/fyofg9/covid19_impact_on_anime_anime_production/#sidebarimg2
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jun 20, 2020 2:00 PM

Dec 2019
I knew this anime was generic, stupid and just bad overall but... this ending reeeeally crossed the line. The characters remained all unlikeable, the writing in this is just awful and I don't know why the author decided to make Rikuo and Shinako as adults instead of teenagers, because that's how they act like and that's how their relationships is written.

This ending was one of the most generic and stupid thing I've ever seen. This is what you get when you spend 2 episodes with characters that don't even show up again nor do they play any important role in the story. This ending goes straight to trash, along with the rest of the anime.
CrossBlackJun 20, 2020 2:03 PM
Jun 20, 2020 2:01 PM
Aug 2018
Damn... for real, I haven't participated in any discussions in the few years I've been on MAL up until this season. Something about the Spring 2020 season has just been getting me so riled up! I feel like this show really squandered a lot of potential. I liked the art style, and I loved the music direction. I thought they conveyed the messiness of interpersonal relationships (friendly, romantic, and otherwise) between humans really well and convincingly, most of the time.

But yeah, this final episode... left so much to be desired. And I'm not really sure I agree with the message we're supposed to take away from it. I'm not even really quite sure what that message IS, exactly.
Jun 20, 2020 2:05 PM

Apr 2017
I literally cannot stand the ending of this show. When am I gonna successfully chose the best girl in this show when my record is like 2-159
Jun 20, 2020 2:05 PM

Mar 2020
Well then...

The pacing in the show went from nearly nonexistent for the majority of it to sprinting in desperation to bring the series to a close.

I really wished they had the 6 extra episodes I thought it would (though they just turned out to be the short extras), as more time was needed to develop the ending to make it feel more right. It's disappointing, as the premise seemed interesting and realistic.

6/10 (Rikuo with the biggest rebound ever though lol)
Jun 20, 2020 2:07 PM

Dec 2019
vardavarr said:
Damn... for real, I haven't participated in any discussions in the few years I've been on MAL up until this season. Something about the Spring 2020 season has just been getting me so riled up! I feel like this show really squandered a lot of potential. I liked the art style, and I loved the music direction. I thought they conveyed the messiness of interpersonal relationships (friendly, romantic, and otherwise) between humans really well and convincingly, most of the time.

But yeah, this final episode... left so much to be desired. And I'm not really sure I agree with the message we're supposed to take away from it. I'm not even really quite sure what that message IS, exactly.
I feel like the message is that you should find a toxic relationship I guess.
Jun 20, 2020 2:07 PM

Jul 2015
The railing on the bench was disappearing between the shots!
It is unacceptable! 2/10

Jun 20, 2020 2:12 PM

Jan 2018
error 404 mimori-chan wasnt found
Jun 20, 2020 2:14 PM

Nov 2019
so, was this anime original or what?
Jun 20, 2020 2:16 PM
Mar 2020
Ok. I will have to say it. What. The. Hell. Was. That.
That was just... messy oh god. Everything was so rushed that we didn't even have time to absorb everything that was happening. And I think that none of the characters had that time.
I don’t feel any evolution in the characters Rou, Haru and Shinako. Like, what was Rou used for exactly? Okay, he went to college, but we didn't even notice him getting through Shinako. Do you really want me to believe that Shinako considers him family? You don't do these things with who you call family. You don't hurt like that, you don't hide important things, you don't feel extremely uncomfortable and want to run away because the person treats you in a way that makes you feel weird around him. And where is the evolution of Shinako? She didn't even notice the harm she did to all those people, playing with her feelings because she was hurt. Like, she didn't even get a good scolding that would make her reflect in the end. She just ... cries, and all the best comes back to her. She didn't even act like a grown woman until the end, for God's sake.
And about Haru. I loved the emotional message of this anime: chase the boy you like, cry for him, make you reach toxic levels where you get away from everything because of him. in the end everything will be fine. like ??? what the hell. She hasn't even evolved, she needs to improve as a person alone, she needs to understand that the only person she should run after is herself, she needs to continue with her dreams. in the end, she remained a cafeteria worker, without much motivation about herself. ah, but okay, she has the boy she likes. even though he seems unsure about really liking her, even though he was extremely selfish in the end and just seems to have stayed with her because that's was everything he could have it (like ... do you think feelings unfold so easily? he never really had thought about Haru until shinako breaks up with him (he admits how selfish he was). Wow. I am so frustrated. Nothing has developed well here. Rikuo changed his life and that was ok. but it would be better if all the characters went away and developed their lives alone. they don't work together, actually, they need to learn to “function” alone first of all. That's just how I feel.

5/10.
Jun 20, 2020 2:17 PM
Jun 2020
Alright first things first.Whoever says its really rushed hell yeah you're right,but if you've read the manga you will be disappointed.Honestly the anime didnt have other options,13(but i heard there would be 18) episodes is nothing, to elaborate the whole story.The manga developed a way better ending and was a lot breath taking,but if there really are 18 episodes i think they will consider going beyond the manga and go for the aftermath,again im not sure if there will be 18.
Now for the episode:Honestly i didnt mind the river side scene where shinako and rikuo express their feelings but it really didnt leave an impact to me as if they werent even together which was kind of true.I loved the little Rikuo passing the (never developed by the ANIME)Amamaya i liked that but i will say that despite the whole ending manga beats to the lead up to the scene but anime wins in the confession.In short anime was quite ruahed but you cant fault them things had to be cut out,not happy with not developing on Amamaya but happy for the ending.Cant wait for the rest of the anime if there even will be more.
Jun 2020
Alright first things first.Whoever says its really rushed hell yeah you're right,but if you've read the manga you will be disappointed.Honestly the anime didnt have other options,13(but i heard there would be 18) episodes is nothing, to elaborate the whole story.The manga developed a way better ending and was a lot breath taking,but if there really are 18 episodes i think they will consider going beyond the manga and go for the aftermath,again im not sure if there will be 18.
Now for the episode:Honestly i didnt mind the river side scene where shinako and rikuo express their feelings but it really didnt leave an impact to me as if they werent even together which was kind of true.I loved the little Rikuo passing the (never developed by the ANIME)Amamaya i liked that but i will say that despite the whole ending manga beats to the lead up to the scene but anime wins in the confession.In short anime was quite ruahed but you cant fault them things had to be cut out,not happy with not developing on Amamaya but happy for the ending.Cant wait for the rest of the anime if there even will be more.

Apr 2015
The anime would have greatly benefit if it was two more episode (or even one more). With this being said, I think is not really a bad ending, maybe not very good, but at the same time not bad either.

What the anime is missing a bit, in my opinion, is more inner thoughts from Rikuo, like those at the end, in the bus. If the anime had shown us Rikuo thinking about Haru as how he sees her and what he really thinks about her, then the fact that Rikuo had fall in love with her wouldn't feel so rushed. The problem with this is that they couldn't surprise us with this "plot twist" if we knew Rikuo likes Haru that much. If I was in the position to change some bits in this anime, this is what I would have changed, and instead of going for this "rushed" ending they would have maybe and extra episode with Rikuo reflecting how he feels for Haru and if he really loves Shinako. Anyway, I didn't read the manga, but from what I can gather the anime didn't deviated too much besides the ending that was rushed with multiple skipped chapters, and maybe the changes I suggested would have changed how the manga is structured.

Still I love the anime, and I'm really grateful I watched it. I'm a really big lover of characters in stories, and I value them more than the actual story. And I think this anime depicts pretty well and believable how early adulthood can be. A lot is thrown in a short amount of time, and can be really confusing, and in the first years a good portion of fresh adults are just struggling to find their way in life. Even Shinako which is stuck in the past, they're many people who can sympathise with her. Losing someone you cared and love is really difficult, and the time needed for the wounds to vanish depends on each individual. Rikuo who can't value himself to much and thinks he doesn't deserves to be loved or happy is a feeling so many of us had in the past or even now, and I really enjoyed his development throughout the series. And the Shinako x Rikuo thing not working in the end, even though it seemed at surface level illogical, when you think deeper it can make sense if you consider that Shinako was put in a corner by Rikuo in the second episode when he said that he doesn't think they can just be friend and he rather wait his change at her love. Shinako just didn't wanted to lose neither Rikuo or Rou, but she couldn't think a way to make this happen. That's why she tried to satisfy Rikuo, by being with him, thinking that's the only solution to keep both the connections she treasured. And this type of relationship between Rikuo and Shinako are very common, because they are similar in many aspects, but being happy around with someone who is like you, doesn't automatically mean you're in love with that person. Think of it as the bond that best friends have, but in this case is between two people of opposite gender. Even though they're rare, it can be found in the world. So the two realizing that what they want is not love, but to continue to see each other and having fun, seems pretty genuine for me.

Despite being the youngest, Haru seems to be the most mature of the group, and this can be attributed because of her past, which had a lot of problems, and made her develop her mindset more quickly, but still retaining a bit of teenager/adolescence, in how she speaks and acts. And even though she's 5-6 years younger than Rikuo, they're are both on the same page, and views the world in the same way. And the anime showed how comfortable they were with each other, even though Rikuo knew how Haru feels about him. That's why I think and extra episode or if we as the audience knew more of what Rikuo thought about and how he sees her as the story progressed wouldn't have been very welcome and would resolve some of the issues the series has, but it would have spoiled a bit this ending.

At the end though, I respect the vast majority of the decisions the staff and the author made and I think the show is refreshing and tries an approach of romance a little bit different from mainstream or typical romance anime, trying to depict a more realistic and grounded way, and in my opinion they succeeded in doing so with just some missteps along the way.

I really recommend the anime and I think it can be enjoyed by many anime fans even those who don't follow romance or drama frequently. And I genuinely believe that the ending doesn't affects to much the overall feeling of the series, and it didn't ruined the wonderful journey it showed to us. I hope more of these non-conventional romance story will be adapted in the future.

Scores:
8/10 - Episode 12
9.5/10 - The whole series

Cya!
Jun 20, 2020 2:22 PM
Dec 2017
That character redemption was so bad and rushed, almost as bad as the romance.
Jun 20, 2020 2:36 PM

Apr 2019
Yesterday wo Utatte (Sing "Yesterday" for Me, 2020)
Dual couple age difference romance with love polygon. Animation quality and visual storytelling exceed the story itself, which is a bit generic and with rushed ending. Has realistic adult moments and thoughts about love anime needs more of. (6/10)

Jun 20, 2020 2:37 PM

Apr 2015
FMmatron said:
Wtf is this? Unbelieveable development and worst(most rushed) romance adaptation since ReLife xD

Man, can't remember a season where source material was butchered like in Spring 20.

Hachi nan tte adaptation was terrible as well. Honestly, way worst than this one. It was so bad that you could tell without reading the original content.
Jun 20, 2020 2:45 PM
Jun 2014
Started off very strong but couldn’t live up to its potential. I can’t believe they used a single episode to resolve all the conflicts. 6/10, an OKAY anime
Jun 20, 2020 2:46 PM
Jul 2018
I'm happy Haru won but Shinako wins nothing in the end because of a new girlfriend? I'm confused here. If that's the case that's a little f'd up.
Jun 20, 2020 2:46 PM
Jun 2016
Haru wins best girl! Too bad it was for a trash MC.....

6/10
Jun 20, 2020 2:50 PM

Nov 2016
sun123 said:
FMmatron said:
Wtf is this? Unbelieveable development and worst(most rushed) romance adaptation since ReLife xD

Man, can't remember a season where source material was butchered like in Spring 20.

Hachi nan tte adaptation was terrible as well. Honestly, way worst than this one. It was so bad that you could tell without reading the original content.

To be fair, I haven't read the manga and up to the last episode this adaptation seemed at least decent.

Tower of God was probably the worst offender this season. To such a degree that I didn't care for the meat of the story.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» This ruined my day. (It's ended so contains spoilers till ep-12)

Yeshaiah2015yesh - Aug 1

13 by BeardedSol »»
Aug 3, 2:44 AM

Poll: » Yesterday wo Utatte Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zyjJanApr - May 9, 2020

150 by SadMeat »»
Jan 29, 11:09 AM

Poll: » Yesterday wo Utatte Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 11, 2020

160 by Stargurll02 »»
Jan 6, 12:30 PM

Poll: » Yesterday wo Utatte Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 25, 2020

123 by komikvalentine »»
Nov 18, 2023 11:46 PM

Poll: » Yesterday wo Utatte Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 13, 2020

204 by littlebiglyon »»
Nov 15, 2023 2:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.