Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Apr 23, 2019 4:17 AM

Aug 2012
Ok, I'll pretend I never watched this episode...
Apr 23, 2019 4:21 AM
Jan 2018
Merue said:
ahhh this ep sure had the worst animation in the whole series, it gave me eye cancer. i think they axed budged of this one for next ep. hope they make it better on blurays/DVDs

nope , its the different directer of the episodes nothing to do with the budget , and i doubt the will do anything to the blurays last time i checked they dont fix animation for blurays they only overhaul it
Apr 23, 2019 4:23 AM
Jan 2018
IRON_FIST1984 said:
Raizel said:
Can't say this episode was perfect or something but it was dffit was different, pace, animation looked like it was a complete different staff, some scenes were weak some were great, some were good with some bad frames what's up with that?

Overall the village was fucked up and Sabame died while his head was in the paddies.

Don't like to see Itachi again...

Those who say the animation was crap shouldn't talk crap when you don't even know how hard it is to keep up deadlines, they made a mistake and tried to animate this episode differently if you have an eye for this stuff you will notice some great frames but the problem was deadlines being there

they should have take a break if the deadlines are bad. better to wait another week then to ruin an episode. but this episode wasent even good story wise. it was garbage. let me give you an exemple. in dragon ball super there is episode 72 where goku rematched hit. now that episode had alot of bad animation in it but it was a really fun episode because the story and the fight scene was so good. now this episode of dororo was garbage story wise and the animation just matched the garbageness. the final battle against the moth was boring and end up too quickly. this was the worsrt episode of this show. but its not only this episode. its the 3rd episode in a row that is garbage. something happend to this show after episode 12. im not even sure it should last that long. maybe finishing it in episode 12 was the best thing to do

unlike the other episodes this episode was intentional its the directer Osamu Kobayashi style apparently and he was also directer of the storyboard which is why its rushed etc
Apr 23, 2019 4:24 AM
Jan 2018
-Shigeko said:
I have one question ahem who was in charge of this episode's animation?? It's definitely half-assed and clumsy :c why did this happen to my fav anime

Osamu Kobayashi was the directer for the episode and the storyboard .
Apr 23, 2019 5:11 AM

Jul 2014
This episode just felt off in so many ways, and not just because the art and animation took massive nosedives. The plot also didn't improve at all from last week's mediocrity, and frankly I'm just becoming frustrated with the whole thing.

Also, it's stupid that Dororo gets angry and takes the moral high ground at the end when she basically burned the village down and caused all the problems; it certainly can't be blamed on Hyakkimaru killing the moth well after the fire had started.
AtavisticApr 23, 2019 5:22 AM
Apr 23, 2019 5:34 AM

Feb 2018
I'd say the villagers got what they deserved. If they were willing to sacrifice orphans then starving and killing one another is warranted. Hyaki with one leg will be interesting, I wonder if he'll get a new prosthetic or not.

Also, I don't like that animation style. It's almost interesting aesthetically, but not. The story in this episode felt rushed as well with the demon dying by napalm.
ZudobaApr 23, 2019 5:37 AM
Apr 23, 2019 5:37 AM

Sep 2014
Lots and lots of budget shots in this one. Hope this doesnt continue. Its completely okay for unimportant characters in the background to have no faces but when there are only 4 sitting in a room and 2 of those are the MCs .. well.. No.

Art aside I dont quite see the connection between killing ghouls and starving to death. Like, just kill the ghouls without setting the village on fire next time Dororo. I guess the ghouls magically enhanced the villagers?

Man Hyakkimaru has no chill. Also did he grow a fucking spine? He didnt have a spine?! Dont quite see how this will affect him though.
I am still convinced he is right to kill demons to get his body back. No matter how much Dororo cries about it.

Art aside this was still a good episode for Hyakkimarus inner turmoil alone. He literally was too angry to notice dororo left.

PS: Highly convenient the bandit group finds him now of all time. It feels to me like they crossed half of japan by now, did the bandits just run around the entire island?!

PPS: Can we talk about the intro for a second? "I wanna touch you" while he has this pedo look? Weird af.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Apr 23, 2019 5:54 AM

Feb 2014
The conclusion to this arc felt quite rushed. Sabame was doing anything to save his things precious to him. The relationship between the moth and him was not expressed enough.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Apr 23, 2019 6:05 AM

Mar 2018
MichaelBaysWaifu said:
The character art and animation were bad this time. I like the story and little character build up though.

This^^ same here.
Apr 23, 2019 6:17 AM
May 2016
alisyyya said:
I really hope hyakkimaru realises what he's done is not better than the villagers and regains that sense of humanity.

WTF are you serious. What exactly he did wrong?????

This quote from bitchhboy on tumblr sums up this stupid episode. WTF MAPPA.

MAPPA: look this village is so peaceful and happy! they sacrificed innocent children and countless travelers to demons sure, but look now everything is burnt down and the people who murdered a bunch of innocent orphans are crying and fighting :( so sad :(( Hyakki is obvs the bad guy in this situation :(((

If they are trying to paint Hyakkimaru as villain in this situation they are idiots. The guy tries to get his body parts back. Why should he care about morons that think its ok to have happy life at the expense of other persons life.
ninka22Apr 23, 2019 6:24 AM
Apr 23, 2019 7:04 AM

May 2015
What a creepy episode. It had some emotional moments and I like the way Hyakkimaru is, just slashing demons without care albeit it's scary too, Dororo in not wrong to be concerned. But apart from that, I'd say it's the weakest story so far. Pity they had to be separated.
Apr 23, 2019 8:05 AM
Jul 2017
Just gonna reiterate what has already been brought up by users many times earlier in this thread:

This episode is directed by Osamu Kobayashi, who is best known as the director of Beck and has also directed this series' first ending. He is known for his eccentric style, and the single episodes that he has directed (Gurren Lagann Episode 4 as well as this episode) are controversial among the show's audience for this very reason. It is very likely that this week's episode is a one-time occurrence and the show will return to its usual style next week, which is evident from next episode's preview.

This episode is not representative of the entire show; please refrain from overlooking everything great the show has delivered thus far just from this. I admit I was pretty weirded out when I first watched the episode, but after reading the explanations I'm more okay with it now. I don't have to like this episode, but at least I can understand why this episode came to be this way.

Many other great shows have had controversial single episodes for various reasons (e.g. Shinsekai Yori episode 8) and I expect this episode will become another example further down the line.

Also, please read the other users' replies before making more comments. I get that many people's first reaction to this episode is probably confusion but posting more of the same questions when they have already been answered in earlier posts just makes the thread needlessly long.
Apr 23, 2019 8:43 AM

May 2018
something felt "off" this episode, the animations wasn't good at all and the directing was weird. The story was a bit rushed and anticlimactic. I didn't enjoy this which sucks heavy ass because I have been fucking loving Dororo so far, I hope it bounces back though next episode and the quality goes back to what it was before. I mean, this episode hasn't ruined the anime or anything, but this is definitely the only Dororo episode that I haven't enjoyed. I'm just praying to god the series wont stay at this low standard.
Apr 23, 2019 8:55 AM
Apr 2018
Wtf happened to MAPPA?
This episode was so poorly and lazily drawn and animated.
Apr 23, 2019 9:37 AM
Dec 2018
josephbinoy said:
Wtf happened to MAPPA?

They actually have so much money to hire the veteran animators and also Osamu Kobayashi to handle this episode
Schedule actually okay since Kobayashi mentioning he is currently working for Dororo ep 15 since early January (animation studio usually need 3 months to make an episode)
Mappa do nothing wrong here, it's just simply Osamu's art and animation style
Apr 23, 2019 10:03 AM

May 2012
Animation was okay for me. But I noticed that the transitions of one scene to the next in this episode kinda feels off. And what's with Dororo's reaction to Itachi at the end??!?!?!? I thought he really hate Itachi before. Or maybe she was still a kid before and probably forgot about it when she got older. Anyway, Dororo's reaction at the end was really lame. I hope it will improve in the next episode.

Oh, I like the part though that Hyakkimaru realized that Dororo was not following him. I never imagined that they could get separated. This could be pretty interesting, I guess.
rebelakumaApr 23, 2019 10:06 AM
Apr 23, 2019 10:50 AM

Mar 2017
Vindicater said:
MOMOpatisierre said:

I hope he will change after being separated with Dororo in this arc, and realized how important Dororo is to him
In the end, it will be great Character Development

Doror to become queen of emotions

That's what i'm really hoping will happen. I don't want this anime to end with him becoming a ruthless and cold person who doesn't care about other people
Apr 23, 2019 10:59 AM

Feb 2018
Finally got a chance to watch episode 15. Did they burn through the animation budget already? Was there some virus going around the office? Man, that was rough.

Hope it's just a blip on the radar, because I really adore this show.
*Mourning the disappointment of The Promised Neverland season 2.*
Apr 23, 2019 11:02 AM

Apr 2014
This was disgusting to look at.
Apr 23, 2019 11:41 AM

Sep 2017
Wow, that episode was...well, bad ?

I'm really disappointed in Dororo recently, I absoutely loved the first court but since episode 13, it's almost like it's a completely different anime, especially with that last episode

The animation was horrible, the pacing was bad, the story was completely rushed and even the characters feel empty (well, that's the case since episode 13 in my opinion)

I really hope the show will get better in the future, just reach the quality it had in the first court
Apr 23, 2019 11:55 AM
Jan 2019
I guess they were really trying to save budget and cut cost this episode i guess.
Apr 23, 2019 12:21 PM

Feb 2018
I liked this episode, it showed that not only Hyakkimaru's father will go to any length to protect what's theirs. It's really sad that so many children had to die. I'm worried for Hyakkimaru though, it seems like this quest for revenge is starting to consume him... I hope Dororo can make him come to his senses.

Woah, I didn't know Hyakkimaru had an artificial spine. That must've been painful to deal with...

The only issues I had with this episode is the demons death was kind of anticlimactic, and the animation wasn't great. I'm sure it will improve though.
Apr 23, 2019 12:28 PM
Feb 2018
Good writing.
Bad animation.
Apr 23, 2019 12:39 PM
May 2016
What the heck was that animation in this episode? What's that sudden drop in quality?? The direction was weird as well...
Apr 23, 2019 12:55 PM
Feb 2018
I really enjoyed it,I liked how the ep was about morality.
My only concerns were the animation (srsly what the heck happened)
Also the plot holes like why did the moth kamikaze?
Apr 23, 2019 1:30 PM

Apr 2015
Sadly the quality wasn't as good as we're used to so far from this Anime. I do like where the story is going though!
Apr 23, 2019 3:30 PM

Mar 2009
MOMOpatisierre said:
josephbinoy said:
Wtf happened to MAPPA?

They actually have so much money to hire the veteran animators and also Osamu Kobayashi to handle this episode
Schedule actually okay since Kobayashi mentioning he is currently working for Dororo ep 15 since early January (animation studio usually need 3 months to make an episode)
Mappa do nothing wrong here, it's just simply Osamu's art and animation style

Different style = bad animation, according to MAL logic. But people have had a hate-boner for that guy since the infamous Gurren Lagann episode. Anyway, @zaugr made some really good posts in this thread.

Animation aside, this two-parter was lame in general. I have not been a fan of the second cour so far.
Apr 23, 2019 5:37 PM

May 2017
Zaugr said:

I got examples of the animation this ep too, from Sakuga no less. And they don't even include my favourite bits--the close-up facial animations.

1~ https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/75749 - in this notice how well Hyakki's and the boat's movement against the power of the waves is conveyed.
2~ https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/75751
3~ https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/75750
4~ https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/75752

And they didn't even CGI the flames.

Yeah. I'm not talking about any of those sakuga moments. Those are 100% great, albeit way, way too short.

Nah, I didn't use a gif capturing software. I just copied it. Maybe I don't know. Record at 30 fps and convert to gif? ffmpeg can do everything.

I'm talking about scenes that are not heavy action. Yes, they are not the "money shots". But shouldn't it have at least have some consistency? If your definition of sacrificing detail for animation concept expands to the entire anime, I can straight up tell you that's totally wrong.

Notice the amount of close up shots? It's the same shit as the ones from Date a live.

Dororo squatting in the cave (or basement? trap? whatever. You know where it is). That few seconds looked genuinely horrible.

Her talking with Hyakkimaru when the village is on fire can also be done a bit better. As viewers, we naturally look at the one who is speaking. If she's the only one talking and standing anyway, why not put a tiny bit of detail on the eyes? Besides, this is not the only instance, there are a lot more of those with the same problem.
copyrightRingoApr 24, 2019 7:28 PM
「ボクは…確かに現実に絶望している。だけど、自分には絶望していない!! 今がつまらないか…楽しいのか…平凡なのか…決めているのは現実じゃない。決めるのはボクだ!!ボクが望めば不可能はない!!」-桂木桂馬
"True, I've given up on the real world. However, I haven't given up on myself!! The world doesn't get to decide whether my life is boring, fun, or ordinary because that's my decision to make!! As long as I have the will, nothing is impossible!!" -Katsuragi Keima
Apr 23, 2019 5:53 PM

Dec 2013
People complaining about the drop in animation quality and here I am trying to figure out how that traitor managed to come up with the second half of the treasure map which supposedly was tattooed onto Dororo's mother's back.

Did they dig up her dead body and skin her or something???
HESTIAAPPROVES
Apr 23, 2019 6:06 PM

Dec 2010
poor execution of what could be an amazing episode...

also, i see a lot of people saying that criticizing hyakkimaru but imo this is one of the cases of "you reap what you sow", those villagers deserved that, they killed the nun and all those kids, i actually thought this episode was satisfying
Apr 23, 2019 6:56 PM
Jul 2018

Finally, a bad animation for people to complain about. It's been a year of this is bad, this is bad, this is bad, and FINALLY, one was actually bad. I still love this show, but balls were dropped hard, and expenses were spared this episode. Lets hope its not a permanent condition cause this character development stuff is getting pretty good.
Apr 23, 2019 10:01 PM
Jan 2012
Holy lord, this episode was horrendous. Terrible animation and terrible directing. I could watch it again to point out everything wrong with it, but it's so bad it's not even wotrth it
Apr 24, 2019 2:15 AM

Oct 2015
Their first fight, Wow! We all knew that was coming, although Dororo is in trouble. That sleazy looking bastard is back for the treasure.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Apr 24, 2019 2:35 AM

Nov 2017
Idk did they get massive budget cuts or something? Wtf is this?

Apr 24, 2019 3:13 AM

Dec 2018
The quality of animation here compared to other episodes seem to have downgraded. If they had a bigger budget or if they would've polished the scenes that weren't up to par with better scenes, then it would've made certain scenes feel more alive and made the episode much better.
Apr 24, 2019 4:27 AM

Dec 2009
The animation in this episode was really bad, hilariously bad at times...

I'm really curious how the guy at the end got the map...
Apr 24, 2019 5:49 AM

Jul 2007
Not sure why everyone's banging on about the animation quality, if it wasn't in contrast to how stunning the previous episodes were you would just consider it the artistic style. Honestly i wish half the anime i watch were as good as even this episode.
Apr 24, 2019 9:48 AM
Dec 2016
Most self-professed anime fans don't know the difference between well-animated and faithful to the character design. It's meaningless to discuss animation "quality" with those people.
Apr 24, 2019 9:56 AM
Apr 2016
The only thing that I will mention on the less-enlightened forum is that the people, responsible for the English-translation-sub, are deplorable monkeys.
Daniel_NaumovApr 24, 2019 10:23 AM
Re:formed
Apr 24, 2019 10:55 AM
Jan 2019
I dont know why, but this episode made me sad and please tell me that Dororo and Hyakkimaru are gonna meet in next episode..... :(
Also, the animation was bad cuz there was an different director and it was Osamu Kobayashi.
Anyways, in next ep, there is gonna be a normal director again. Dont worry fam.
Apr 24, 2019 8:09 PM

Jul 2016
People say the animation was "awful" because the budget ran out or due to the deadlines but I personally think it's mostly due to a change in the direction of the episode. It's a matter of tastes, I guess but that said, the episode itself didn't really convince me.
I especially didn't like how the transition between scenes was made, it just made the tension felt dull, which is a shame since the scene with the spirits of the kids felt less emotional than what it should have been due to those direction decisions.

Overall, I would say this was the weakest episode so far.

P.S.: On a side note, I really wonder how Itachi managed to get the first part of the tattoo but for some reason, I have an uneasy feeling about it if I'm honest.
Apr 24, 2019 10:54 PM

Nov 2012
The people who seem to think that the animation wasn't bad for this episode should have their eyes examined.

All shows (even big budget ones) have a couple of episodes like this, its not an insult to point out the obvious.

I expect that they will clean up this episode for the BD release (which is often the case)
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Apr 25, 2019 12:08 AM

Feb 2017
butchered ep for priority ep. it was so bad

MAL score and most user-based rating system are all joke, Imagine trusting plebs and hivemind. Find users who have good sense and rating and use them as a reference. Check my guide to rate
Your taste is trash. Cope, seethe, mald
Apr 25, 2019 10:40 AM
May 2018
People are saying the animation looks bad because of the change in directors, but that doesn't make sense. Since when does changing directors cause a reduction in fps???
And how is having lower frame rates a 'different style' ?? Is the style called 'looking terrible' ??
Apr 25, 2019 11:04 AM
Dec 2018
The_Game_of_Life said:
People are saying the animation looks bad because of the change in directors, but that doesn't make sense. Since when does changing directors cause a reduction in fps???
And how is having lower frame rates a 'different style' ?? Is the style called 'looking terrible' ??

if you look again at ED 1, it also used that choppy animation style, it's from same director as ED 1 tho so we can say he just want to tell the episode with his very personal style
Apr 25, 2019 11:25 AM
Jan 2019
MichaelBaysWaifu said:
The character art and animation were bad this time. I like the story and little character build up though.

That's absolutely true. I like the art style of the series a lot, but this episode looks like literal shit. Half of the time the characters look like some drawn blobs with two dots as eyes.... pathetic. Don't even mention the "Running in the Woods Hyakkimaru". Way too hilarious. I still enjoy the show though
Apr 25, 2019 2:53 PM
Jul 2018
What intense episode, but a little bit rushed, isn't it and yes, I saw the animation issues too.

Hyakkimaru's development and his character, we slowly see, is pretty interesting. I guess, he was going through much and got a little bit cold and bitter, because he was betrayed by his father and just want to get back what he "deserves" and the landlord had parallels to his father.

Feel so much for Dororo, but it was kinda rushed that she burnt the rice store... did I miss something? Why would you burn their rice, couldn't you dispose of the oil in other ways!?

Dummisel said:

Seriously what's wrong with these guys

Who wouldn't run like a 90s game character in an anime from 2019. :'D
removed-userApr 25, 2019 3:03 PM
Apr 25, 2019 3:24 PM
Dec 2018
worst episode so far, animation was so bad, scenes couldn't last more than 10 seconds before fadingin black and going to the next one. Everything was just so far off that it looked like watching some fanmade shit. Lore wise it could've been pulled off so much better, moth demon flying into that sentry look out for no apparent reason, just for fire to spread everywhere randomly, and they not even showed the moth in human form once, she was just a big fucking moth that at some point thought going under water was a good idea, no care for her children (she set everything on fire no fucks given) nor for her husband. Had to write such a comment after seeing all these comments saying " well at least the story was good", it was thrash on another level.
Apr 25, 2019 5:14 PM

Oct 2017
What the heck was the animation and direction of this episode??? Please, the past director have to return or at lease they are gonna have to looking for another who do much better the things. THIS IS A REALLY GREAT ANIME AND DESERVES A GOD DEVELOPMENT AND ANIMATION AS BEFORE.
-¡Give yourself to me!
Apr 25, 2019 6:13 PM

Dec 2016
Maybe I'm just looking way too much into things, but honestly I feel like the wonkiness and awkwardness in some animation in this episode was totally planned because at least in my opinion the wonkiness of it really added to the off-putting nature of Lord Sabame and just the vibe of the town in general
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dororo Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2019

447 by Thirdu »»
Sep 3, 8:17 AM

Poll: » Dororo Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 6, 2019

143 by ZNT_12_9_1_22 »»
Aug 30, 3:11 PM

Poll: » Dororo Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 15, 2019

93 by jilebi_james23 »»
Aug 5, 12:31 PM

Poll: » Dororo Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 8, 2019

145 by jilebi_james23 »»
Aug 5, 12:03 PM

Poll: » Dororo Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 25, 2019

182 by jilebi_james23 »»
Aug 5, 11:32 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.