Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Apr 6, 2019 10:51 AM

Jan 2017
Oh boy Ufotable doing as always their magic with the animation. This for sure will be one heck of a eye candy. Also that OP by LiSA!
Apr 6, 2019 10:53 AM

Sep 2017
Great animation. Managed to be both fluid and nuanced, as expected from ufotable. Love the character design. A somewhat typical Shounen story though, but will watch it just for the beautiful art.
Apr 6, 2019 10:54 AM

Feb 2017
Looks so damn beautiful, especially the colours. Story seems like its going to be interesting.
Apr 6, 2019 10:55 AM

Oct 2018
That OP is actually insane. I thought this wouldn't be very interesting. I was wrong.
Apr 6, 2019 10:56 AM

Jul 2013
Demon Nezuko was cute, not gonna lie. Her sharp teeth and feral behavior, coupled with her protective instincts towards her brother made her oddly adorable. Have we already a candidate for Best Girl Spring 2019? Only time will tell.
The main character so far seems alright, I liked how he managed to get the situation right based on the few hints he saw. That's always a nice quality for me.

The OST and the visuals so far are pretty good, but being ufotable, that was expected. Also if the abilities of the characters are going to be like the ones of the opening, the fights are going to be great.
Apr 6, 2019 10:57 AM
Aug 2018
Good episode, but quite slow in the beginning though, would have been good to see more of Nezuko before her turn, so when Tanjiro was reaching out to her it would have more resonance imo. Especially since she seems all feral now and unable to talk. “Don’t take anyone else from me. I’m begging you not to!” this part was good.

You’d think if demons are common knowledge people wouldn’t live so far away from town and despite being called man eating demons the bodies of Tanjiro’s family were still there. They seem closer to vampires based on how Nezuko transformed into one by getting demon blood in her wound also that comment towards the end where Tomioka said “Never let her be exposed to the sunlight”

That trick Tanjiro did with the hatchet was pretty slick, interested to see him in action once he gets his katana. The
OP had him using this cool ability with ukiyo-e like visuals. Tomioka seems like a swell guy, not too narrow minded in regards to killing demons, urging Tanjiro into action and giving him information on how to proceed going forward.
Apr 6, 2019 10:59 AM

Sep 2017
Though its use of 3d during longshots and some short scenes worries me a bit that they might use it in fights or other stuff in the future, the animation is really solid and the artstyle is interesting even if the start was a bit cliché. Plus it's ufotable we're talking about, so I'm hoping that the animation stays great for the rest of the series.
Apr 6, 2019 10:59 AM

Mar 2017
Everything about this episode was amazing! The action was fantastic, the animation style is beautiful and the soundtrack is awesome.
I already love Tanjiro and my heart is broken for him. That was tragedy at its finest! Natsuki Hanae loooves voicing tragic characters hahaha!
This is gonna be one hell of an anime!
Apr 6, 2019 11:00 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Very good start. Top notch art and animation. Here's to hoping that there's a good story behind it and that they keep up that level of quality.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Apr 6, 2019 11:00 AM
Jun 2015
Togashi recommended this so I'm gonna watch it. He said it's a great story so I have high hopes since HXH is the goat.
Apr 6, 2019 11:04 AM
Oct 2016
Seeing one of my most favourite manga, which is a masterpiece no doubt, having such great adaption brings tears of joy and a big smile in my face. Art looks perfect and same as it's in manga, bgms are on spot, animation looks very good and those breath moves looks AMAZIN!!
Apr 6, 2019 11:06 AM

Mar 2018
It was a good episode even though it was really cliche and lacked a good build up. I had no idea what that incompetent demon slayer was thinking, like it was completely his fault lmao. Good that he was aware of it though because that part didnt make any sense before he pointed it out.

CGI was used greatly here and the animation was decent. Background and art in general ar ejust okay you know how it is ufotable the most overrated studio ever with their plastic visuals
EsquirtitApr 6, 2019 11:10 AM
poop
Apr 6, 2019 11:07 AM
Oct 2014
Xenocrisi said:
It was amazing, fantastic OP. The animation was high quality, the OST gave me chills.
Can’t wait for Zenitsu’s appearance.

Hopefully there won’t be any kind of break between the 26 episodes, but I’m quite skeptical about it

Hyped asf, it feels so good seeing your favorite shonen getting a great adaptation
all the fate seasons are 13 episodes so this probably will be too. Hard to imagine them keeping up this quality for 26 episodes straight
Apr 6, 2019 11:14 AM

Jul 2015
Great Episode.I really liked it,Ufotable is making it so obviously the animation will be good.

Also the Ost ,music everything was so good.

The OP was so good,we got to see certain techniques of Tanjirou animated(Manga readers know what i mean) and the OP might be the OP of the season.

Tanjirou's interaction was good and highly natural in this episode.

5/5 Episode.

Apr 6, 2019 11:14 AM

Nov 2018
well done animation; the design of the characters with rougher lines fit in very well with the environment, immersive scenarios, pacing on the right spot, characters look convincing
seems promising, I hope it doesnt disappoint in the continuity of the narrative
momoeirinApr 6, 2019 11:30 AM

❝見つめないで 悲しい方を
目を瞑って 口づけしよう
甘く溶けるメロディー❞

❝邪魔しないで
真夜中のパラダイス
息もせずに潜っていく
二人だけのダンス❞
Apr 6, 2019 11:15 AM

Dec 2014
welll Nezuku was something.... sad for the family... protagonist hang in there
Apr 6, 2019 11:15 AM

Feb 2013
Perfect adaptation, couldn't have been better. Thank you ufotable for adapting something that's not a game, and choosing one of the best and most underrated newer shounen out there that has a dark world with a death count/flags that has no chill. Tanjirou is a good lad.

Can't wait to see Inosuke animated, that'll be a treat.

zagzee said:
That OP is actually insane. I thought this wouldn't be very interesting. I was wrong.
That guitar at the beginning of it when the screen paused was absolute fire.
EvildoerApr 6, 2019 11:21 AM
Apr 6, 2019 11:20 AM

May 2018
Very interesting and great start. Drawing style is amazing, i really enjoyed first episode.
Apr 6, 2019 11:26 AM
Aug 2015
looked bland to me. the 2d make up over cg looked good, but everyone's face is so cute and the actions are so stiff. intense moment didn't feel intense for me. and far too many monologue.
Apr 6, 2019 11:27 AM

Jun 2014
It started basically the exact way I was expecting it to but I like it so far. Looks like this will be a fun ride.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

MAL is literally just anime Twitter as its own website lol.

Apr 6, 2019 11:28 AM

Jan 2016
What a way to start my Spring 2019. I have no words. I've never been this teary eyed for a first episode ever. I have high expectations now, please don't disappoint me.
Apr 6, 2019 11:30 AM

Sep 2017
Ah yes, the long awaited spinoff of how to train you dragon: how to train you demon. Japan just had to get a piece of the pie.

Terrible jokes aside, it was pretty good. The talk about demons in the dudes house at the bottom of the mountain was a little on the nose, but other than that no real complaints.

Seems pretty clear dudes gonna train and become a demon hunter or whatever, probably with a goal of turning his sister back. At the same time it would be cool if he really can "train" his sister and then not need a reverting. Of course idk the repercussions of actually being a demon. Also what we be the point if not save her? Pull Eren and swear to kill all the demons? Maybe.
Apr 6, 2019 11:31 AM

Jan 2018
What a first episode. Holy shit. This season's already off to a phenomenal start.

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Apr 6, 2019 11:35 AM

Mar 2019
Episode 1 was very well-structured.Hope it can deliver the same vibe as dororo
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Apr 6, 2019 11:40 AM
Dec 2018
good animation. good story. good music. seems like a generic demon anime.
Apr 6, 2019 11:41 AM
Jan 2019
Ufotable does it again!!! Amazing episode
Apr 6, 2019 11:41 AM

Jun 2015
That was one of the worst first episodes I've ever watched. Not even joking.

To begin with, you already know his whole family is about to get killed, its obvious, and the way they introduce the mother and siblings only further shows how expendable they are and how dead they're gonna be by the end of the episode.

The lenghts the show goes to show that the MC is a very nice guy is silly. He has to please every single one of his siblings, of course. He then goes down a snowy mountain carrying a heavy bag only to then help people with everyday tasks they could've done themselves? And then they have one of the background characters call the MC a hard-working boy, just in case we didn't get that already. Even fate's Shirou would get annoyed at this guy.

The exposition about demons and demon hunters at the hut makes no sense. It's a world where demons are a real threat and common knowledge, why are you now asking people about that?

The whole scene with the demon hunter was really bizarre. The way the MC casually recollects small details that prove his sister's innocence while fending for his life. The demon hunter's inner monologue telling the MC exactly what to do and then him doing exactly that, as if the entire scene was choreographed. And the demon hunter having to spell out the obvious reason why the girl became a demon, as if we couldn't have figured it out. That's really bad writing.

I'm not usually one to just bash at a show like this, but I honestly couldn't find a single thing to like here. Not one natural character interaction, no interesting/new story elements, not even a good fight scene with nice visuals. It's all so generic! For a show to screw up that bad in its first episode is not a good sign. At least they set up a plot hook for the next episode, but let's see how that goes.
AnotherGuyApr 6, 2019 11:46 AM
Apr 6, 2019 11:48 AM

Apr 2017
That was absurde.

No really what the fuck? WHAT? IT'S SO GOOD! HECK!

The OP is awesome, the animation is top-tier (I mean it's ufo), voice acting is perfect, and the characters seems to be interesting too.

It's good, very good. And Im also happy to see a SJ anime by Ufotable.
Apr 6, 2019 11:49 AM

Dec 2013
Powerfull start and top notch animation (the CGI didn't look bad at all). Eager to see more.
Apr 6, 2019 11:53 AM

Apr 2017
Went in completely blind when I saw this popup on CR, was not disappointed at all. This looks like it'll be amazing. Really excited for more.

I love to talk anime and manga, feel free to message me!
Apr 6, 2019 11:54 AM

May 2015
AnotherGuy said:
That was one of the worst first episodes I've ever watched. Not even joking.

To begin with, you already know his whole family is about to get killed, its obvious, and the way they introduce the mother and siblings only further shows how expendable they are and how dead they're gonna be by the end of the episode.

The lenghts the show goes to show that the MC is a very nice guy is silly. He has to please every single one of his siblings, of course. He then goes down a snowy mountain carrying a heavy bag only to then help people with everyday tasks they could've done themselves? And then they have one of the background characters call the MC a hard-working boy, just in case we didn't get that already. Even fate's Shirou would get annoyed at this guy.

The exposition about demons and demon hunters at the hut makes no sense. It's a world where demons are a real threat and common knowledge, why are you now asking people about that?

The whole scene with the demon hunter was really bizarre. The way the MC casually recollects small details that prove his sister's innocence while fending for his life. The demon hunter's inner monologue telling the MC exactly what to do and then him doing exactly that, as if the entire scene was choreographed. And the demon hunter having to spell out the obvious reason why the girl became a demon, as if we couldn't have figured it out. That's really bad writing.

I'm not usually one to just bash at a show like this, but I honestly couldn't find a single thing to like here. Not one natural character interaction, no interesting/new story elements, not even a good fight scene with nice visuals. It's all so generic! For a show to screw up that bad in its first episode is not a good sign. At least they set up a plot hook for the next episode, but let's see how that goes.
that's exposition not bad writing,i don't see any problem in giyu explaining how one turns into a demon,the fights are very good in this series you'll see and the mc is one of the best in shonen the cooprotagonist are all good and the villain is one of the best i've seen in recent years,the only problem of kimetsu no yaiba is that the first few chapters are a bit rushed to get to the good parts because you know jump axe a lot of manga if the ranking is not good,kimetsu has always good ranking in jump right now.
nanashi796Apr 6, 2019 12:06 PM
Apr 6, 2019 11:55 AM
Mar 2019
Everything about this first episode feels so fresh. From first impressions, the art style and character designs pop right out of the grim setting of the story; and with such a natural way to introduce the plot and some supporting characters, this show just screams NEW AGE SHONEN!
The action scenes and use of CG were very fluid and the soundtrack was well executed. Not to mention some very brutal showcasing of Tanjirou's tragedy (and suggesting an equally as traumatizing experience for Giyuu) leaves me feeling very optimistic for this show. Could be AOTS if pacing doesn't start to lull next week
Apr 6, 2019 12:01 PM

Feb 2018
Goodness ufotable really outdid themselves, the animation and art is so beautiful.

Muh unlimited budget works
Apr 6, 2019 12:04 PM

Apr 2010
OMG I NEED THIS OST!!!
Apr 6, 2019 12:10 PM
Jan 2019
The second anime of the season that looks promising, along with Fruit Basket, and I think, it will be worth seeing. The animation seems very peculiar and according to the ending (which is the opening) will have amazing fight scenes. I will definitely put this anime on my list this season 👌.
By the way, that first episode so devastating. Things went from a happy family to a cruel end 😞.
It will be an interesting story.
Apr 6, 2019 12:22 PM

Apr 2016
The premise is sort of typical, but interesting. I didn't really care about the MC's family dying though because we almost got no screen time with them and sort of just felt like a catalyst to start the mc's adventure. Not a bad first episode at all, but pretty typical.

The animation and music are gorgeous though.
SeasideLuaApr 6, 2019 12:39 PM
Apr 6, 2019 12:25 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Hmm quite an isolated household they have there. Still the interaction with his family sure was warm. His helpful nature sure has netted him quite the rep in town. Damm his home was turned into a charnel house by the demons. So even though Nezuko got turned into a demon seems she still retains her memories and is able to resist the call. The demon slayers entrance sure was quite something though. Despite his calm nature the demon slayer sure exploded when he saw Tanjiro plea for his sisters life. Despite the difference in strength Tanjiro's tactics in that brief fight was impressive. Its nice that in the end both of them were saved when the demon slayer showed mercy. Overall a strong first ep that did well in establishing the setting and the premise while introducing the first members of the cast.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 6, 2019 12:27 PM
Jan 2019
Woah, animation feels different and good, yup and the character so far introduced feels fresh and interesting, story is.....I don't know let's just wait for more, I hope it's legen.......wait for it..................
Apr 6, 2019 12:30 PM

May 2015
I can't fault a first episode as good as that.

♡ artist
サコ
Apr 6, 2019 12:30 PM
Sep 2015
Can a great story be created without a great tragedy? I'm sad that this anime is not the evidence of the statement as it already begins with a great tragedy.
Apr 6, 2019 12:33 PM
Apr 2019
I'll start with the music because i still dont see enough appreciation in the musical aspect of ufotable's works. Once again they able to maintain their top notch consistency in providing atmosphere enhancing music. The animation is amazing,the cg is pretty cool, the transition between hand drawn and cg is really smooth. All in all a feast to the eyes and ears.

Now the story execution, sadly i find the delivery of mc's devastated feeling of losing his family is a bit lacking, simply because there's little to no build up, probably because the studio didnt focus on that in the 1st place. So i feel nothing but horror from such a well made murder scene (tho the delivery gets much better when it starts to focus more on his sister). Aside from that, still amazing episode
Apr 6, 2019 12:41 PM

Jun 2015
nanashi796 said:
that's exposition not bad writing,i don't see any problem in giyu explaining how one turns into a demon,the fights are very good in this series you'll see and the mc is one of the best in shonen the cooprotagonist are all good and the villain is one of the best i've seen in recent years,the only problem of kimetsu no yaiba is that the first few chapters are a bit rushed to get to the good parts because you know jump axe a lot of manga if the ranking is not good,kimetsu has always good ranking in jump right now.

The "bad writing" part was about the whole scene, not just the exposition.
Didn't know this was a Jump anime, certainly explains some things. But if they wanted to hook the reader with shock/anticipation/excitement, which they usually do with first chapters, then they didn't do a very good job. The events were all very predictable and have been done better in other stories. Read the first chapter of Claymore for reference (the setup is basically the same, really).
AnotherGuyApr 6, 2019 12:46 PM
Apr 6, 2019 12:45 PM

Feb 2015
This was really well done. I don't think the hook is particularly original but it was a very entertaining episode. Certainly the best first episode of the season so far.
Apr 6, 2019 12:47 PM

Oct 2013
Typical first episode that I have seen many times, animation art and soundtrack is top notch, though the first 10 seconds kinda felt like it was 20 fps, but it was a decent start.

Also watching the op really motivate me to want to see what this series is all about, some of those characters look badass to say the least.

3/5. overall, not bad.
Apr 6, 2019 1:01 PM

May 2015
AnotherGuy said:
nanashi796 said:

The "bad writing" part was about the whole scene, not just the exposition.
Didn't know this was a Jump anime, certainly explains some things. But if they wanted to hook the reader with shock/anticipation/excitement, which they usually do with first chapters, then they didn't do a very good job. The events were all very predictable and have been done better in other stories. Read the first chapter of Claymore for reference (the setup is basically the same, really).
predictable doesn't mean it's bad,it gets very good don't judge this anime from the first episode wait for more,this is the best shonen in recent years along with mob psycho,much better than the other jump manga like mha and black clover.,even togashi said to read this manga because it's good.
Apr 6, 2019 1:10 PM

Jun 2015
great animation and art as expected from Ufotable, character design wasn't bad but its not my favorite style. characters looked a bit short i wonder if they are all young or its the style.
about the story it wasn't special or anything ,it was predictable even the part with his sister.
Mc was too nice and i don't really like that i hope that its not another Nakama power shounen!
Apr 6, 2019 1:16 PM

Mar 2016
I will start with the positive things.
The art was fantastic! I loved the character designs and the colour palette used.

The voice acting was brilliant. They really add life to the characters.

The soundtrack blends with the story, which is very important. So, I liked that as well.

The animation was quite well done.

The story is good so far. Plus, this is one of those rare Jump battle stories where I didn't hate the protagonists.

Now, the negatives.
The use of camera didn't feel like they suited the scene sometimes. Like the shot of the snow as the protagonist walked across it, or the unnecessary foreshortening of the protagonist's arms, or the fade to black shot of the sister passing out, which makes it look as if the hunter was also fainting.

The story felt too fast. I wish we got to know the protagonist a little better before the tragedy happened 'cause—right now—I don't feel bad for him at all. I know it's hard for Jump authors to delay the action scenes, but they could have started from the action filled parts, and slowly introduced the protagonist's past as the story progressed.

The next thing I have to say is neither positive nor negative.
The oni in this anime are just vampires. Lol. They made it too obvious.
Apr 6, 2019 1:22 PM

Nov 2016
Goosebumps.....

Pretty damn strong first episode, but I seriously hope that the story will match this great first impression.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 6, 2019 1:23 PM
Jan 2018
This was actually quite good. Way better than expected. I have some problems where I've probably predicted most of the main plot points though.
Apr 6, 2019 1:24 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
Absolutely terrific. Gorgeous animation, a unique, attractive art style with terrific line-work, and great music. This was the complete package.

By the atmosphere and tone, i knew exactly what was going to happen to that beautiful family. doesn't make it sting any less though. It's clear MC is going to be a demon slayer, I'm really excited to see the dynamic between him and his now demon sister. It could be really compelling.

I'm very much looking forward to more of this.
Pages (11) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Netflix Reveals Its Most-Watched Anime TV Shows of 2024 in Official Ranking

Hickykissy - Sep 20

16 by matraph00 »»
Sep 22, 12:41 PM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

RebelPanda - Jun 15, 2019

310 by Lucai_kaii »»
Sep 18, 6:45 PM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 29, 2019

280 by humungadunga64 »»
Sep 11, 4:05 PM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 27, 2019

275 by chris1763 »»
Sep 6, 12:08 PM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 25, 2019

221 by AZN_07 »»
Sep 1, 10:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.