Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
May 5, 2018 11:48 PM
Jun 2017
Like so many other people this show wasn’t really on my radar. After hearing good things I decided to check it out and I am so glad I did. The ending felt perfect to me. This show was undoubtedly a masterpiece and one that really drew more out of me emotionally than any anime in recent memory. What a journey it was, sad to see it come to a close, but it’s definitely going to leave me impacted for years to come. Job well done Madhouse! Really hoping this show gets some AOTY nods like it deserves.
May 6, 2018 12:17 PM

Jan 2018
It's so satisfying to see the girls go from total rookies to part of the family. :)

Inspiring Megumi to go to the Arctic. Man, this show ended wonderfully.

Now, THAT'S how you do a slice of life!

May 11, 2018 6:51 PM

May 2017
Its hard to express my feelings for this anime.

Let me tell you. I am really not a huge fan of this cute girls doing cute things "genre" its the first time that i have watched an anime that people could call cgdct. It's nowhere even near my normal anime taste and that was my biggest issue with this anime.

Things that i liked -

Music - oh wow the soundtrack in this anime was phenomenal to say the least. It's rare for me to go on youtube just to check out anime soundtracks after i have finished an anime. I absolutely loved the inserts song in this anime, especially - Mata ne (Episode 12 Ending) struck me hard.

Scenery - This anime has had some very memorable beautiful scenery.

The message - I thought that the message to go out of your comfort zone even if you are scared of whats waiting beyond was very nice. I myself was able to reflect on that very well. Im someone that often searches for excuses, just to chicken out the minute before doing something. Did this anime change my life? No, but i do think that in the future, before searching for excuses i will think about what this anime has taught me, that sometimes its necessary to go against your comfort zone to experience something great.

Characters - This is a mixture. I liked Shirasei,Gin, Kanae and i was fine with the rest of the main cast. I sometimes felt a little annoyed by Hinata, Yuzuki or Mari. They are by no means bad characters but they just aren't characters that i enjoy watching. It's this typical CGDCT thing that i mentioned above. They did have their good moments though. Yuzuki for example when they were talking about what being friends really means. I really liked her there but i didn't like her as much in earlier episodes with her "i'll kill you" attitude. Same with Mari she was the ultimate cute girl doing cute things character. But i really enjoyed her speech in episode 1 about wanting to do something greater than this normal life stuff but she always finds excuses in the last minute.

Drama - I love drama and this show has had some nice drama moments. Favorite one would be the ending of episode 12. It was probably so affective because most of the anime was comedy based so the contrast was really strong. (plus the music just emphasized everything so hard)

----------------

Thing's that i didn't like

Opening - The opening spoiled me too much. (im very sensitive to spoilers) It kinda ruined the excitement to reach and see antarctica for the first time when they arrive.

Cute girls doing cute things. I just don't like it

Character Cast - I know that one of the things that made this anime so different is the fact that this anime has almost only females. Can't help but miss the male characters though. Im a shounen lover therefore i need my male characters lol

-----

Overall 7/10. Judging by the enjoyment i had from this anime the rating should be 6/10. Like i said a million times now, the main issue for me was CGDCT. Im sure this anime would have a been an 8 or maybe even a 9 for me if i was into those kind of animes. Still gave it a 7/10 because of the last few strong episodes and because i just can't argue with the fact that this anime is good.

May 13, 2018 6:02 AM
Jun 2016
I felt more emotional here than last episode. Although, i prefer more of the comic elements, the drama was fine too. Nice adventure and a story about reaching your dreams. Nothing really is totally impossible. 8/10
May 26, 2018 7:12 PM
Mar 2018
GangsterCat said:

fuck off japan with your "character development" cutting hair bullshit
dropped 0/10

Alright, take a hint. Begone thot
Aug 9, 2018 9:13 PM

May 2012
Really wonderful ending to this series if you ask me, a pretty lovely closure and beautiful speech when they said goodbye. That last mail though!!!

Quite glad to have watched this amazing anime to be honest as it had a great character development with some really funny and as well sad moments.

Really liked it in general I must say.
Aug 13, 2018 9:49 AM
Oct 2017
I would never get tired of sora yori, a lively wonder, everything was great
5 or 6 times I watch the episodes again and again with the same emotion as the episodes I wanted, as well as the same motivation as when I started the series in winter
This will remain the best serie of winter and especially 2018 which deserves a 10
Aug 25, 2018 6:59 PM
Jul 2018
I can't believed I stalled this anime for so long but all that matters is that I got to experience it. It's a masterpiece for me.

Not many anime have minor characters with likable personalities. The cook lady, the woman that always has a hangover, the buff dude that's into others, Todou's BFF, where do I even. Most importantly Todou is a good guardian to Shirase to a point that she's her second mother.

I liked the four main girls as well. It is hard for me to pick the best of the quartet.
Sep 15, 2018 11:32 PM

Dec 2009
I wish this was a bit longer, to really have the time and space to properly drill in the scenery and experience, to take you, the viewer, really deep into antarctica as well... but that's literally my only complaint.

This was a journey already when i was only half way through,and it kept going. A rollercoaster of emotions and who knows what else... I put off this anime along with many others due to being busy, but i did not expect it to be this good.
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Sep 19, 2018 10:41 AM

Jun 2011
kinda interesting how I chose to watch this and Rewrite season 2 at the same time, and this is about going to Antartica which in of itself will cause pollution and Rewrite is about the opposite.

After finishing this series, I really don't get what's the hype all about, this is so overrated. I tried reading some of people's thoughts / reviews and I still don't get it.

Some said it's realistic.. it took 8 episodes to address the fitness issue handling the extreme cold in Antartica, and they were already on their way there. I don't get how parents allowing their 16/17 years old daughters go travelling on their own with pretty much strangers who they knew for like a week is in any sense realistic. This will take all day if I go down the list.

The (melo)drama is terrible, it's no more than a 10 years old drama. It's the same type of drama you see in some shitty harem show written for the protagonist's harem. Now, I do like the said harems, but I don't pretend like it's some sophisticated shit. There's a lack of impact for said drama and resolved pretty swiftly, and they changed nothing. For example, the missing passport case, a whole lot of drama stemmed from Shirase not allowing Hinata to go separately and following them soon after, like, I don't get the point of the drama. They're overreacting to really nothing. What happen if the group stayed behind for Hinata? What happen if they don't? Nothing, she's gonna regroup with them sooner or later anyway. One might say that they don't want to leave her behind, but if she insisted, why not? Why get mad at someone for not sharing the same philosophy as you? (this is a huge problem in this show) And besides, if they had checked all their belongings and actually thought about it more carefully, she would've found her passport anyway. It's basically a false alarm in the name of "improving the girls friendship" as if it's the only way to do so; as if something's changed between them.

The thing about sharing the same philosophy / same thought shit is also present in this episode, when asked if they wanted to do something before the crew leaves, all agreed on playing in the ice or something like that, as if each of them have no individual thoughts or their own idea of fun. It's lazy writing and give less individualistic to each of the girls beyond their usual comedy shtick. In other situation, it could also come off as the very, VERY clingy girlfriend who's just freakin annoying and wouldn't leave you no matter what. When the girls cried when Shirase cried after knowing about her mom's emails, it just didn't hit as hard as it should have, because it's really hard to sympathize with their situation of needing to do things "together" / "in unity", in this case, crying.

As for the characters, since the very first episode I've said that I didn't like the Shirase portion of the episode, and it turns out she's my least favorite among the 4. Her overreacting to everything is just so annoying, and not funny at all. And she had to scream all the time as well. And she also likes to force her own ideology/philosophical thoughts onto her friends and force them to accept it. Mari was a very curious girl at the beginning but as time passed she's lost her unique charm.. she doesn't even stand out anymore as the protagonist when she's not absolutely bawling her eyes out like no 17 years old does. Hinata.. I love her quotes / life advices but again, not very fun character after the whole drama thing started. Shiraishi is just cliche, "I never had friends in the 17 years I've been alive for" All 500 people that I knew were just using me because I am famous, all 500 I say!! It's akin to the shoujo romance premise of a girl who's been treated the same all 16 years of her life until her fated prince arrived and treat her differently, out of the 1000 people she's met. The friend contract thing is also cringe and how Mari reacted to it. Oh and lets not forget about Megumi lmao I don't even get what's her drama about.

Ahh also, this is a group of high schoolers travelling to Antartica, beyond parents allowing their young kids to go travel by themselves / these young kids lack the appropriate physical training needed to withstand the extreme cold weather of Antartica, there's a group of adults being led around by these kids. What happened when they first touched down at Antartica? The kids rushed out first. Hey adults, you're supposed to be doing the parenting job here, and it's your job to secure safety before letting the kids out. Oh, they also screamed "serve you right" without knowing the context, nor do they sympathize with that. I didn't sense any leadership coming from the adults. It felt like the world revolved around the kids.. it does happen sometimes where the story/narrative place far more importance on the main characters, and in those cases the side characters usually get undermined. Toudou was also led around by Shirase, held hostage by her feelings of guilt like she owed her any explanation at all for a decision her mother, an adult made. It's just weird, that the adults don't act like proper adults in this show.

There's also the random love confession moment by one of the male crew member, and the whole pedophilic comment during the girls introduction, it's just weird and cringy.

This is also rated higher than Space Brothers.. If Space Brothers had the Madhouse brand on it, it would be top 50 easy, probably..
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Sep 30, 2018 11:44 PM

Apr 2016
It's fine that not everyone will have the same taste. In a show like this that strongly depends on being able to relate and empathize with the characters, if you are not able to relate (due to different cultures or life experiences), then you will likely not enjoy it.

I'll just add a few counterpoints below that you may or may not have missed, that hopefully is not just a personal taste thing. Unlike a lot of other shows, Sora Yori does not whack you over the head with exposition and explain every single thing, leaving the viewer to infer from their own experiences and friendships, and filling in the blanks.

ToG25thBaam said:
After finishing this series, I really don't get what's the hype all about, this is so overrated. I tried reading some of people's thoughts / reviews and I still don't get it.

Some said it's realistic.. it took 8 episodes to address the fitness issue handling the extreme cold in Antartica, and they were already on their way there. I don't get how parents allowing their 16/17 years old daughters go travelling on their own with pretty much strangers who they knew for like a week is in any sense realistic. This will take all day if I go down the list.

I'll address the physical requirements below, but as for the girls being allowed by their parents, why not? Two of them don't have parents, and the 3rd was sent there by her mom as part of work. Only Kimari would be considered to have a 'normal' family structure. The show took great pains to develop the characters, and all 4 come across as relatively mature and responsible. These are not sheltered pre-teens we're dealing with here, but rather high schoolers on the cusp of adulthood who already bear outside responsibilities like real work.

While the show does take some artistic liberties with realism (like how the whole expedition was supposed to be military-only, but they changed it to privately funded so as to fit the story), it's not a big stretch to think the girls would be allowed to go. After all, you would hope the school and insurance companies would've done enough research and gained enough assurance of their safety from such a large expedition before they would even be allowed to do this. Really, only Kimari's parents would be the only one that *may* question their daughter's eligibility on the trip; but a big part of this show is about Kimari breaking out of her shell, so...

The (melo)drama is terrible, it's no more than a 10 years old drama. It's the same type of drama you see in some shitty harem show written for the protagonist's harem. Now, I do like the said harems, but I don't pretend like it's some sophisticated shit. There's a lack of impact for said drama and resolved pretty swiftly, and they changed nothing. For example, the missing passport case, a whole lot of drama stemmed from Shirase not allowing Hinata to go separately and following them soon after, like, I don't get the point of the drama. They're overreacting to really nothing. What happen if the group stayed behind for Hinata? What happen if they don't? Nothing, she's gonna regroup with them sooner or later anyway. One might say that they don't want to leave her behind, but if she insisted, why not? Why get mad at someone for not sharing the same philosophy as you? (this is a huge problem in this show) And besides, if they had checked all their belongings and actually thought about it more carefully, she would've found her passport anyway. It's basically a false alarm in the name of "improving the girls friendship" as if it's the only way to do so; as if something's changed between them.

The (melo)drama thing is a very personal taste thing, so I won't comment much on that. I personally find the drama fine and quite in line with other real life people I know who share a lot of the personality traits of the 4 girls. The director herself has said she based all 4 girls on real girls she knew when in high school herself.

With regards to the whole "staying behind with Hinata" option, I have to point out that Shirase's worry about them being pulled from the expedition due to being late and losing a passport is a very real worry. In an expedition like this where survival depends on being disciplined and responsible for everything, losing a passport will be viewed as a *very* negative thing. Sure, they might still make it to the ship on time, but if they were found to have been delayed due to carelessness, what does that tell the captain and the other crew members about them? Would they be able to depend on them to NOT forget something important when their lives depend on it? They've already lost Shirase's mom due to her forgetting something. You think if you were the expedition leader, you would let something like that happen twice under your watch? The girls would be sent home on the next flight.

The thing about sharing the same philosophy / same thought shit is also present in this episode, when asked if they wanted to do something before the crew leaves, all agreed on playing in the ice or something like that, as if each of them have no individual thoughts or their own idea of fun. It's lazy writing and give less individualistic to each of the girls beyond their usual comedy shtick. In other situation, it could also come off as the very, VERY clingy girlfriend who's just freakin annoying and wouldn't leave you no matter what. When the girls cried when Shirase cried after knowing about her mom's emails, it just didn't hit as hard as it should have, because it's really hard to sympathize with their situation of needing to do things "together" / "in unity", in this case, crying.

I'm confused here. This show is all about friendship and "unity". How is it lazy writing when the whole point is to show how close the girls have become? This is the whole draw of the series right there - it makes you feel like you're spending your time with 4 really lovable friends (even if I don't see them as waifus). Count yourself lucky if you have yet to experience the pain of losing a loved one, or being with a close friend who has lost a loved one. The emotions shown by the other girls when they 'share' Shirase's final loss is gut-wrenching and all too familiar to a lot of us.

.. drama part skipped ..

Ahh also, this is a group of high schoolers travelling to Antartica, beyond parents allowing their young kids to go travel by themselves / these young kids lack the appropriate physical training needed to withstand the extreme cold weather of Antartica, there's a group of adults being led around by these kids. What happened when they first touched down at Antartica? The kids rushed out first. Hey adults, you're supposed to be doing the parenting job here, and it's your job to secure safety before letting the kids out. Oh, they also screamed "serve you right" without knowing the context, nor do they sympathize with that. I didn't sense any leadership coming from the adults. It felt like the world revolved around the kids.. it does happen sometimes where the story/narrative place far more importance on the main characters, and in those cases the side characters usually get undermined. Toudou was also led around by Shirase, held hostage by her feelings of guilt like she owed her any explanation at all for a decision her mother, an adult made. It's just weird, that the adults don't act like proper adults in this show.

Not sure what kind of other physical training you expect them to perform to "withstand the extreme cold weather temperature of antartica". Unless they alter their physical composition to that of penguins, any kind of exposure to the extreme cold means instant death, no matter how physically-fit you are. Survival in any extreme cold climate depends on protection from the elements, and that's what their little camping trip to the mountains were meant to signify - training on how to protect yourself.

As it is, what the girls did there were mainly kitchen and cleaning duties, along with the documentary making in the relatively protected base camp. They did not need the physicality of the other expedition members as they were not expected (nor allowed) to clamber around on their own in the harsher terrain without being supervised by the adults. I'm not sure where you got the impression the girls were allowed to rush out on the ice when they first got to antartica on their own. Gin came over to tell them they could go down and to stay within 5 meters - again, off screen, you would have expected the actual crew to have checked the conditions beforehand -- they would have had to lower the ladder down first anyway.

The whole "In Your Face" shout by the crew -- you really missed a big part of the show if you did not know the context. It's in response to all the doubters and ex-sponsors who didn't believe they would make it there. Very cathartic release. Surely that didn't need to be spelled out?

There's also the random love confession moment by one of the male crew member, and the whole pedophilic comment during the girls introduction, it's just weird and cringy.

What love confession? Toshio never did get to confess to Gin; unless you are referring to the other guy who is a fan of Yuzuki asking for her autograph? In any case, if there's a weakness to the direction, it's that they didn't do a good job with any of the so-called love interests. But that's just a minor side plot that does nothing to the whole story.

As for the "pedophilic comment", it is very much something I can see happening in real life as a light joke. Not sure what's so cringy about that as relationships are bound to happen in a remote area like that, and they just need to be reminded that they are NOT legal, so don't try for any relationships with them.

I've typed way too much and need to sleep...

_totoro-kun_Sep 30, 2018 11:50 PM
Oct 1, 2018 2:24 AM

Jun 2011
Onsa_Rin said:
I'll address the physical requirements below, but as for the girls being allowed by their parents, why not? Two of them don't have parents, and the 3rd was sent there by her mom as part of work. Only Kimari would be considered to have a 'normal' family structure. The show took great pains to develop the characters, and all 4 come across as relatively mature and responsible. These are not sheltered pre-teens we're dealing with here, but rather high schoolers on the cusp of adulthood who already bear outside responsibilities like real work.

While the show does take some artistic liberties with realism (like how the whole expedition was supposed to be military-only, but they changed it to privately funded so as to fit the story), it's not a big stretch to think the girls would be allowed to go. After all, you would hope the school and insurance companies would've done enough research and gained enough assurance of their safety from such a large expedition before they would even be allowed to do this. Really, only Kimari's parents would be the only one that *may* question their daughter's eligibility on the trip; but a big part of this show is about Kimari breaking out of her shell, so...
I get breaking out of your shell, but no parents would send their child, let alone a daughter to somewhere far away with strangers she's known after few days/weeks. I don't know how it is in the west, but in Asia even parents who do not care much about their children past 17 years of age would not send them off to travel across the globe with people they just met. Would've been a lot more realistic if she's 28 or something and is a proper independent adult. Besides, age 16-18 is a sensitive age where you have to decide on your future.. not thinking about making money by spending nights working in a club. But it's anime, so..

The (melo)drama thing is a very personal taste thing, so I won't comment much on that. I personally find the drama fine and quite in line with other real life people I know who share a lot of the personality traits of the 4 girls. The director herself has said she based all 4 girls on real girls she knew when in high school herself.

With regards to the whole "staying behind with Hinata" option, I have to point out that Shirase's worry about them being pulled from the expedition due to being late and losing a passport is a very real worry. In an expedition like this where survival depends on being disciplined and responsible for everything, losing a passport will be viewed as a *very* negative thing. Sure, they might still make it to the ship on time, but if they were found to have been delayed due to carelessness, what does that tell the captain and the other crew members about them? Would they be able to depend on them to NOT forget something important when their lives depend on it? They've already lost Shirase's mom due to her forgetting something. You think if you were the expedition leader, you would let something like that happen twice under your watch? The girls would be sent home on the next flight.
It's even more negligent to not have remembered that she handed her passport to you like hours ago, and they didn't even check all their belongings to look for her passport. The drama was forced in order to create a situation that would cause a rift in the relationship of the girls to "develop" them. You like them? Okay. I am just pointing out the absurdity in it.

I'm confused here. This show is all about friendship and "unity". How is it lazy writing when the whole point is to show how close the girls have become? This is the whole draw of the series right there - it makes you feel like you're spending your time with 4 really lovable friends (even if I don't see them as waifus). Count yourself lucky if you have yet to experience the pain of losing a loved one, or being with a close friend who has lost a loved one. The emotions shown by the other girls when they 'share' Shirase's final loss is gut-wrenching and all too familiar to a lot of us.
I've experienced a loss of a loved one just few months ago, and another one few years ago, so spare me the talk. I cried my heart out, but my relatives and friends didn't cry because I cried, they cried because they know the person and they feel sad now that the person's gone.

And the part about having the same idea of fun near the end of the trip just makes me think that they're just going along with the wave and none of them want any part of this individually. If I could travel to Antartica you bet I would have a list of stuffs I want to do, not just going along with my friends with what they want to do.. and documentary on Antartica is one of my favorite video to watch on youtube.. places with lots of intrigue like that really pique my interest.

Not sure what kind of other physical training you expect them to perform to "withstand the extreme cold weather temperature of antartica". Unless they alter their physical composition to that of penguins, any kind of exposure to the extreme cold means instant death, no matter how physically-fit you are. Survival in any extreme cold climate depends on protection from the elements, and that's what their little camping trip to the mountains were meant to signify - training on how to protect yourself.

As it is, what the girls did there were mainly kitchen and cleaning duties, along with the documentary making in the relatively protected base camp. They did not need the physicality of the other expedition members as they were not expected (nor allowed) to clamber around on their own in the harsher terrain without being supervised by the adults.
I don't mean "withstand extreme cold weather naked" but rather having a body fit enough so that it wouldn't cause trouble. Have you seen Space Brothers? The training they needed to undergo is what I expect. They even brought this up later on in the show when they're on the ship.

I'm not sure where you got the impression the girls were allowed to rush out on the ice when they first got to antartica on their own. Gin came over to tell them they could go down and to stay within 5 meters - again, off screen, you would have expected the actual crew to have checked the conditions beforehand -- they would have had to lower the ladder down first anyway.

The whole "In Your Face" shout by the crew -- you really missed a big part of the show if you did not know the context. It's in response to all the doubters and ex-sponsors who didn't believe they would make it there. Very cathartic release. Surely that didn't need to be spelled out?
my issue with this whole thing is about the writing.. stories that revolve around the protagonist, side characters that act along with the protagonist, even though the protagonist is less experienced and much younger. If you like it, sure, you do you. This is also a problem in Tower of God even though it's one of my favorite webtoon to read. Though I'll admit that I've totally missed that "in your face" part about the crew, that's my bad.

What love confession? Toshio never did get to confess to Gin; unless you are referring to the other guy who is a fan of Yuzuki asking for her autograph? In any case, if there's a weakness to the direction, it's that they didn't do a good job with any of the so-called love interests. But that's just a minor side plot that does nothing to the whole story.
By love confession I don't mean confessing to Gin, but admitting his love for her to the others.

As for the "pedophilic comment", it is very much something I can see happening in real life as a light joke. Not sure what's so cringy about that as relationships are bound to happen in a remote area like that, and they just need to be reminded that they are NOT legal, so don't try for any relationships with them.
And I don't know what world you live in but the world I live in, we never ever do that. Do you know about the MGK beef with Em and how he called his underage daughter "hot asf" years ago and got blasted for it today? Do you know about the youtuber Ingham family and how the father in question was accused of "sexually grooming" underage kids? I don't know which part in the world you live in, but we don't ever joke about something like that. -.-; Dialogue like that really shows how anime today is really influenced by all the fanservice and shit. It makes you feel detached from reality.

And again, if you like it, you do you. Melodrama is terrible and it doesn't take skills to write. If you like this show, I would recommend watching Space Brothers to see what I am trying to say here.
Oct 1, 2018 6:32 AM

Oct 2010
ToG25thBaam said:
I don't get how parents allowing their 16/17 years old daughters go travelling on their own with pretty much strangers who they knew for like a week is in any sense realistic. This will take all day if I go down the list.

This is an anime about four high school girls going to the Antarctica. No matter how realistic you make it you will always get the feeling that something is off because the premise is outrageously absurd. I'm not excusing the show on that. However a lot of personal circumstances are quite favorable. Shirase lives alone and she is related to the crew. Hinata is an independent girl who even skips high school and studies on her own. Yuzuki is there for work. The only one that really stands out here is Mari, and the only one who had a bit of conflict about it; not enough maybe, to move forward. But I wouldn't expect any familiar drawbacks for Shirase, Hinata and Yuzu because their families either don't exist (Shirase), don't have a say in their lives (Hinata) or actually encourage them to go (Yuzuki).

ToG25thBaam said:

Uh... the passport drama is something that resonates a lot, in like every instance. From panicking due to not being able to find it, not thinking straight, trying to find stupid alternatives instead, and all that with character reactions that are true to their selves, from Hinata's attempts to diminish to Shirase's panicked reaction when she fears that their journey will be cancelled.

I don't understand most of your issues here. Seriously. They seem more like the result of generic lack of empathy for these girls than actual nitpicks on the drama of this part. Why would they not care about Hinata, and why would they accept her leaving? They are friends, for God's sake, they care for each other and they want to be together. They have enough of an understanding of each other to know that Hinata is just doing that to not be a burden or appear as helpless, and that deep down she really wants to go with them. But then you say "hey, why not just leave her?". You are obviously not in the same wavelength here than the show intends you to.

About the main source of drama: losing stuff like passport, keys, documents is always treated more seriously than it actually is. You can spend two hours looking for your keys and then find out that they were on the table all the time. You lose your passport, panic about the idea that you won't be able to board the plane that leaves in 2 hours and it turns out that it was in your other jacket all the time. It's actually the assumption that proficiency and a cold head are even possible in these situations what strikes me as an unrealistic expectation.

ToG25thBaam said:

I don't understand what you are getting at here. I mean, do you have this problem with Yuru Camp? The girls enjoying a meal, admiring a scenery, dressing in Santa costumes together, etc.

It's... normal? Friends do group things all the time and can be excited about similar things. They can also diverge. Like how excited Mari and Hinata are with the reports and how much of a struggle it is for Shirase. What you are saying here is unfair to any show that features a group of friends, you are basically denying them the chance to do things together as friends. Going with the vibe and joining because of group pressure or to be part of the moment are also valid individual choices that justify this.

I agree that this little sequence of the three girls crying was sloppy, and unneeded in an emotional climax that was great on its own, though. But that is a timing issue, not a "it's weird that three people share the same emotional answer" issue.

ToG25thBaam said:
As for the characters, since the very first episode I've said that I didn't like the Shirase portion of the episode, and it turns out she's my least favorite among the 4. Her overreacting to everything is just so annoying, and not funny at all. And she had to scream all the time as well. And she also likes to force her own ideology/philosophical thoughts onto her friends and force them to accept it.

Fair enough. Then again, that is an issue that the series acknowledges, and she creates and fuels conflict with that. It's not like it just exists and you have to swallow it, it's a character flaw that is underlined. And it is more than justified in her personal history.

ToG25thBaam said:
Mari was a very curious girl at the beginning but as time passed she's lost her unique charm.. she doesn't even stand out anymore as the protagonist when she's not absolutely bawling her eyes out like no 17 years old does.

Mari in many ways is my least favorite character. Her function in the series seems to be sort of the glue that sticks all of them together thing, but in a narrative so focused on individual drama that gets tackled through supportive friends, it doesn't seem like she brings too much to the table aside from being a supportive/motivational character.

Anyway, it's not a very good criticism to go with "no one her age does that". Of course some people her age do that. Personalities are not a homogeneous set of traits. If this is going to be the issue, better discuss if it makes sense in universe instead of trying to fit it with vapid generalizations about reality.

Fair enough with Hinata, I still loved the character when her drama appeared though.

ToG25thBaam said:
Shiraishi is just cliche, "I never had friends in the 17 years I've been alive for" All 500 people that I knew were just using me because I am famous, all 500 I say!! It's akin to the shoujo romance premise of a girl who's been treated the same all 16 years of her life until her fated prince arrived and treat her differently, out of the 1000 people she's met. The friend contract thing is also cringe and how Mari reacted to it.

Eh, Yuzu is not my favorite character either and her drama is less relatable (idol girl who is inclined to believe that all people around her are trying to take advantage of her fame is not something mundane to me) but you are selling her very short. Of course the friend contract thing is cringe. It is acknowledged as cringe. The series knows it's cringe. It's just fake and stupid and she gets called out for it. The question is if it makes sense to her character and her views on friendship and it absolutely does. She wants to validate this friendship. She has a history of meeting people who betrayed her and she wants to make sure that these really mean what they say. How do you convince yourself if you don't trust people for starters? Something as dumb as a contract of friendship makes sense to her thought processes. And yes, it's dumb, artificial and doesn't solve her confidence issues. That much is stated by the series.

ToG25thBaam said:
Oh and lets not forget about Megumi lmao I don't even get what's her drama about.

Megumi is basically jealous and holds a toxic relationship of emotional dominance over Mari, which the moment Mari starts doing things on her own makes her feel displaced. Not rare at all.

ToG25thBaam said:
Ahh also, this is a group of high schoolers travelling to Antartica, beyond parents allowing their young kids to go travel by themselves / these young kids lack the appropriate physical training needed to withstand the extreme cold weather of Antartica, there's a group of adults being led around by these kids. What happened when they first touched down at Antartica? The kids rushed out first.

Yes, with the ship captain telling them to not move more than 5 meters away from the ship's perimeter as the very first thing. They are also under surveillance and the weather is calm.

And they also went through training to understand and apply everything about safety and protocols.

You are trying to catch the show in something it actually cares about a lot, and which is one of the main reasons why they take so long to land in the Antarctica.

ToG25thBaam said:
Hey adults, you're supposed to be doing the parenting job here, and it's your job to secure safety before letting the kids out.

Except they do?

ToG25thBaam said:
Oh, they also screamed "serve you right" without knowing the context, nor do they sympathize with that. I didn't sense any leadership coming from the adults. It felt like the world revolved around the kids.. it does happen sometimes where the story/narrative place far more importance on the main characters, and in those cases the side characters usually get undermined. Toudou was also led around by Shirase, held hostage by her feelings of guilt like she owed her any explanation at all for a decision her mother, an adult made. It's just weird, that the adults don't act like proper adults in this show.

What the hell? Do you know that Shirase was the daughter of Takako? Do you know that Toudou feels guilty herself about her disappearance and presumed death?

Like, are you even understanding the emotional struggle both have? How awkward their resulting relationship had to be?

And again, you are talking about proper adults, proper teens, not acting their age, all that stuff that means nothing and is just generalizations.

Not saying that the adults in this show are any great, most are forgettable, but I can't really get many of your complaints. I guess the main issue is that you want to portray lack of realism through specific examples and applying a homogeneous standard to how characters should behave. As said above, analyzing characters in universe is more practical than trying to fit them in incomplete, unfair and unjustified generalizations on how real life people work.

Also, nitpicking and all, but the one adult who starts the whole "Serves you right!" answer is Toudou, who knows very well what Shirase went through and the meaning behind that reaction.

ToG25thBaam said:
There's also the random love confession moment by one of the male crew member

Wasn't a love confession.

ToG25thBaam said:
and the whole pedophilic comment during the girls introduction, it's just weird and cringy.

Wasn't a pedophilic comment xD
jal90Oct 1, 2018 6:51 AM
Oct 1, 2018 9:51 AM

Jun 2011
jal90 said:
This is an anime about four high school girls going to the Antarctica. No matter how realistic you make it you will always get the feeling that something is off because the premise is outrageously absurd. I'm not excusing the show on that. However a lot of personal circumstances are quite favorable. Shirase lives alone and she is related to the crew. Hinata is an independent girl who even skips high school and studies on her own. Yuzuki is there for work. The only one that really stands out here is Mari, and the only one who had a bit of conflict about it; not enough maybe, to move forward. But I wouldn't expect any familiar drawbacks for Shirase, Hinata and Yuzu because their families either don't exist (Shirase), don't have a say in their lives (Hinata) or actually encourage them to go (Yuzuki).
I get it for Shirase, she's doing this for her own personal reason, and she knows people who were acquainted with her mother from the expedition crew.. but the other 3.. Maybe if they knew each other for more than a month it'd be safer and more believable. I mean if they're guys it wouldn't be as dangerous. High school girls are just asking to be kidnapped travelling around the globe by themselves. This show is trying to depict something different but because plenty of people were saying that it's realistic.. well

Uh... the passport drama is something that resonates a lot, in like every instance. From panicking due to not being able to find it, not thinking straight, trying to find stupid alternatives instead, and all that with character reactions that are true to their selves, from Hinata's attempts to diminish to Shirase's panicked reaction when she fears that their journey will be cancelled.

I don't understand most of your issues here. Seriously. They seem more like the result of generic lack of empathy for these girls than actual nitpicks on the drama of this part. Why would they not care about Hinata, and why would they accept her leaving? They are friends, for God's sake, they care for each other and they want to be together. They have enough of an understanding of each other to know that Hinata is just doing that to not be a burden or appear as helpless, and that deep down she really wants to go with them. But then you say "hey, why not just leave her?". You are obviously not in the same wavelength here than the show intends you to.

About the main source of drama: losing stuff like passport, keys, documents is always treated more seriously than it actually is. You can spend two hours looking for your keys and then find out that they were on the table all the time. You lose your passport, panic about the idea that you won't be able to board the plane that leaves in 2 hours and it turns out that it was in your other jacket all the time. It's actually the assumption that proficiency and a cold head are even possible in these situations what strikes me as an unrealistic expectation.
Bolded, that's probably it. It also annoyed me a lot that the ending retconned the delay of flight after paying considerable amount to get their flight changed, would've been far more impactful if they actually went through with it. It's like Hunter x Hunter spoiler post Chimera Ant about Gon and Nanika.

I don't know how others do it, but if I lost something of my own, I'd first recall the events of the day, it usually work like 90% of the time, instead of blindly just looking for it.

Also, the part after the bolded, if I recall correctly, yes Hinata didn't want to cause trouble for the rest of the gang, but not enough to actually fight with her friends and cause even more trouble. Shirase of course wanted to travel along with her friends but she didn't need to scream and get mad over it, like for example, if person A actually wanted to pick the vanilla icecream but chose the chocolate icecream because person A knew his friend, person B really like vanilla icecream, and then person B started a whole drama getting mad at person A for being over-considerate and not picking the vanilla icecream because he knew person B wanted it. Person B was trying to do thing in favor of person A but ended up getting mad at person A for insignificant stuffs like that..

Megumi is basically jealous and holds a toxic relationship of emotional dominance over Mari, which the moment Mari starts doing things on her own makes her feel displaced. Not rare at all.
I get her issues but I don't know why it's an issue. It's like Hanebado where everyone's just mad or gotta have some kind of drama to their character.

Yes, with the ship captain telling them to not move more than 5 meters away from the ship's perimeter as the very first thing. They are also under surveillance and the weather is calm.

And they also went through training to understand and apply everything about safety and protocols.

You are trying to catch the show in something it actually cares about a lot, and which is one of the main reasons why they take so long to land in the Antarctica.
If I recall they only started their physical training after they're on board of the ship. Not sure how long was the trip to Antartica but definitely not long enough to train up your physique. I was expecting something more like Space Brothers.. again, because people were raving about the realism in this show.

Also, nitpicking and all, but the one adult who starts the whole "Serves you right!" answer is Toudou, who knows very well what Shirase went through and the meaning behind that reaction.
Already addressed this in my previous response to Onsa_Rin.

What the hell? Do you know that Shirase was the daughter of Takako? Do you know that Toudou feels guilty herself about her disappearance and presumed death?

Like, are you even understanding the emotional struggle both have? How awkward their resulting relationship had to be?

And again, you are talking about proper adults, proper teens, not acting their age, all that stuff that means nothing and is just generalizations.

Not saying that the adults in this show are any great, most are forgettable, but I can't really get many of your complaints. I guess the main issue is that you want to portray lack of realism through specific examples and applying a homogeneous standard to how characters should behave. As said above, analyzing characters in universe is more practical than trying to fit them in incomplete, unfair and unjustified generalizations on how real life people work.
The issue I have with this is that you couldn't blame anyone for what happened to Shirase's mother. Her mother made a choice knowing the risk, and Gin is a proper adult who also know the risk before going out on a journey like that. I don't expect not even a single apology from Gin to Shirase but dwelling on it forever is just something characters in Japanese story keep doing because they're sentimental beings. You say your piece, and after that it's Shirase decision to accept it or not. There's just a lot of cringy dialogue in it.

And I always say this about lots of anime that I don't like, it's not what's in it that's terrible, but how it's executed is terrible. The idea is great, it's been used in few other series, but it's down to how you pull off the events that matter in the end.

Wasn't a love confession.
Already addressed this, I don't mean confession to his loved one but more like confession of his love for her to other people.

Wasn't a pedophilic comment xD
Definitely is lol come on, it's like you're making a joke about a romance with the Harry Porter version of Emma Watson = underage. That's creepy. Also the writing is clearly influenced by a lot of loli fanservice in recent years in anime/manga/ln industry in Japan. Hayao Miyazaki would tell you animu was a mistake if he had watched this moment in this series.
Oct 1, 2018 2:37 PM

Oct 2010
ToG25thBaam said:
Bolded, that's probably it. It also annoyed me a lot that the ending retconned the delay of flight after paying considerable amount to get their flight changed, would've been far more impactful if they actually went through with it. It's like Hunter x Hunter spoiler post Chimera Ant about Gon and Nanika.

Oh, they could get the money back in the end.

ToG25thBaam said:
I don't know how others do it, but if I lost something of my own, I'd first recall the events of the day, it usually work like 90% of the time, instead of blindly just looking for it.

And that's a good way to do it. But not everybody under pressure works the same.

ToG25thBaam said:
Also, the part after the bolded, if I recall correctly, yes Hinata didn't want to cause trouble for the rest of the gang, but not enough to actually fight with her friends and cause even more trouble. Shirase of course wanted to travel along with her friends but she didn't need to scream and get mad over it, like for example, if person A actually wanted to pick the vanilla icecream but chose the chocolate icecream because person A knew his friend, person B really like vanilla icecream, and then person B started a whole drama getting mad at person A for being over-considerate and not picking the vanilla icecream because he knew person B wanted it. Person B was trying to do thing in favor of person A but ended up getting mad at person A for insignificant stuffs like that..

Eh, I don't know. You don't seem to be pointing at actual flaws of the show here, just personality flaws. I guess you just don't agree with how Shirase and Hinata behaved?

ToG25thBaam said:
I get her issues but I don't know why it's an issue. It's like Hanebado where everyone's just mad or gotta have some kind of drama to their character.

This is a character drama, of course characters display or have drama, and specifically Megumi's is one of the most down-to-earth. Not sure where the comparison with Hanebado comes from, it's not like the problem of Hanebado is that every character has issues xD

ToG25thBaam said:
If I recall they only started their physical training after they're on board of the ship. Not sure how long was the trip to Antartica but definitely not long enough to train up your physique. I was expecting something more like Space Brothers.. again, because people were raving about the realism in this show.

But they are not going to the space. They are going on a ship to the Antarctica. They don't need any special fitness regime but to protect themselves from cold, sunlight and other things they may find there, by safety protocols that are mentioned and higlighted.

ToG25thBaam said:
[he issue I have with this is that you couldn't blame anyone for what happened to Shirase's mother. Her mother made a choice knowing the risk, and Gin is a proper adult who also know the risk before going out on a journey like that. I don't expect not even a single apology from Gin to Shirase but dwelling on it forever is just something characters in Japanese story keep doing because they're sentimental beings. You say your piece, and after that it's Shirase decision to accept it or not. There's just a lot of cringy dialogue in it.

You are forgetting that Gin actually felt guilty about leaving Takako. Like, you are completely forgetting how was Gin's relationship with Takako and in consequence with Shirase.

Gin lived with Takako and they raised Shirase together. They obviously had a very close relationship. Now, Gin can rationalize everything about her acts that day perfectly, but she still regrets not finding and saving her, and specially she regrets not having searched for her when it was found out that she was still alive.

It's exactly how Shirase puts it, there is no rational way to blame Gin because she did the right thing. But there are emotional ones and that's not only on Shirase, it's also on Gin.

And characters dwelling on things is not bad writing, like what? It's a terrible event, it broke apart the family structure. You want the series and the characters to be super-efficient, to think stuff through and say, "hey, it's not our fault or anybody else's, we move on, no hard feelings" and things do not work like that. Neither in reality many times, nor in a plausible character-based narrative. It's not like Gin doesn't know that she couldn't do anything more, or like Shirase doesn't know that Gin is not to blame. Knowing however is not the same as feeling.

ToG25thBaam said:
Definitely is lol come on, it's like you're making a joke about a romance with the Harry Porter version of Emma Watson = underage. That's creepy. Also the writing is clearly influenced by a lot of loli fanservice in recent years in anime/manga/ln industry in Japan. Hayao Miyazaki would tell you animu was a mistake if he had watched this moment in this series.

Miyazaki is a lolicon himself tho

But no. It's not a pedophilic comment. It's a joke. And a joke made at the expense of a member of the crew they know and has a reputation for hitting on girls all the time. And it's a joke that the group understands and laughs at, whether it's in bad taste or not is debatable but it certainly doesn't say "I love underage girls" which is how it should be if you want to label it as pedophilic.
Oct 1, 2018 4:18 PM

Apr 2016
jal90's done a good job of pointing out a lot of the other comments, so I'll just respond to a few of the points.

ToG25thBaam said:
I get breaking out of your shell, but no parents would send their child, let alone a daughter to somewhere far away with strangers she's known after few days/weeks. I don't know how it is in the west, but in Asia even parents who do not care much about their children past 17 years of age would not send them off to travel across the globe with people they just met. Would've been a lot more realistic if she's 28 or something and is a proper independent adult.

Ever heard of student exchange programs? Over here, we get a bunch of high school students from Japan, Korea and a host of other countries who come to study by themselves, and staying with foster/host/billet families who they've never met in their life, let alone known for a few months. It's all about trusting the people who are responsible for looking after them, and I would think a high profile Antartica expedition and research crew would be a relatively safe group to travel with. Not to mention Shirase has known the crew for a long time - heck, Gin is like a mother figure for her.

I take it parents can be protective of their daughters - I grew up in Asia after all, and know people who wouldn't let their daughters take the public bus on their own, let alone go on a solo flight. But to paint all Asian teenaged daughters as somehow being locked down at home is way too unrealistic, and downright prudish in today's world.

Besides, age 16-18 is a sensitive age where you have to decide on your future.. not thinking about making money by spending nights working in a club. But it's anime, so..

Hitomi is best girl, yes, more so than Hina and Anzu. Oops. Wrong anime. You need to expand your mindset if working part time jobs as a student is all about the short-term money. These days, future employers (and some universities/colleges) will look at your work and volunteer history, including part time work as a student as an indicator of how trustworthy and responsible a person you are. It gives you a huge leg up on your future career; and more and more students are joining the workforce to gain that very experience for their future. And I don't think Kimari did take up that club/escort job in the end... :D

It's even more negligent to not have remembered that she handed her passport to you like hours ago, and they didn't even check all their belongings to look for her passport. The drama was forced in order to create a situation that would cause a rift in the relationship of the girls to "develop" them. You like them? Okay. I am just pointing out the absurdity in it.

jal90's comments are on point with regards to this whole drama issue. As for the forgotten passport and negligence; they did manage to get to the port as scheduled, so likely the main crew had no knowledge of the whole drama. I'm just pointing out Shirase's worry and reasons behind her resistance to staying an extra few days at the beginning. You would too, if you had fought all those years to get on board the ship, only to potentially be turned away due to (initially) no fault of your own.

I've experienced a loss of a loved one just few months ago, and another one few years ago, so spare me the talk. I cried my heart out, but my relatives and friends didn't cry because I cried, they cried because they know the person and they feel sad now that the person's gone.

Not everyone is going to respond the same way in the same situation. You can't criticize a show for characters reacting differently from you, when there are tons of others (myself included) who can empathize with their situation and/or have been in the same situation and seen real life people react the same way. In any case, I will avoid talking about emotional responses as there are no right or wrong answers here. Each of us behave differently.

And the part about having the same idea of fun near the end of the trip just makes me think that they're just going along with the wave and none of them want any part of this individually. If I could travel to Antartica you bet I would have a list of stuffs I want to do, not just going along with my friends with what they want to do.. and documentary on Antartica is one of my favorite video to watch on youtube.. places with lots of intrigue like that really pique my interest.

Running off on your own in the middle of Antartica is the fastest way to an early grave. This is not a tour bus to the Rockies type of trip. On some of their side trips, the girls have been shown to do their own activities - Yuzuki doing her idol show, Shirase ending up too close to the penguins etc. There's ample time for them to do their individual stuff, within reasonable bounds, obviously. The final activity was meant to be a team bonding thing. And they came up with a softball game. Nothing wrong with that. Just shows how much of a team/togetherness they have after months of living together.

I don't mean "withstand extreme cold weather naked" but rather having a body fit enough so that it wouldn't cause trouble. Have you seen Space Brothers? The training they needed to undergo is what I expect. They even brought this up later on in the show when they're on the ship.

You could be fully decked out with the winter gear and be expedition-crew-fit, and still die from exposure. Case in point - Takako. The girls were not expected to do any physically strenuous activities (nor go to space, for that matter), so beyond being able to put on 50 lbs of winter gear; just what kind of fitness level do they need? The run around the ship on the way there wasn't even a requirement for them - they just chose to join the crew in their runs because they felt like it. Most of the time they were protected from the elements in the base camp, or in the trucks; only going out when weather permitted (and it does get reasonably warm in the summer months there).

If you want to watch them taking naked baths in a nitrogen tank to better withstand the cold, the hentai shows are thataway...

And I don't know what world you live in but the world I live in, we never ever do that. Do you know about the MGK beef with Em and how he called his underage daughter "hot asf" years ago and got blasted for it today? Do you know about the youtuber Ingham family and how the father in question was accused of "sexually grooming" underage kids? I don't know which part in the world you live in, but we don't ever joke about something like that. -.-; Dialogue like that really shows how anime today is really influenced by all the fanservice and shit. It makes you feel detached from reality.

again, i would refer to jal90's response to this. There is a whole world of difference between "My underaged daughter is a hot chick" vs "They are underaged, so stay away!". Doesn't really matter where the heck you are in the world.
Oct 2, 2018 12:06 PM

Jun 2011
jal90 said:
And characters dwelling on things is not bad writing, like what? It's a terrible event, it broke apart the family structure. You want the series and the characters to be super-efficient, to think stuff through and say, "hey, it's not our fault or anybody else's, we move on, no hard feelings" and things do not work like that. Neither in reality many times, nor in a plausible character-based narrative. It's not like Gin doesn't know that she couldn't do anything more, or like Shirase doesn't know that Gin is not to blame. Knowing however is not the same as feeling.
I didn't say dwelling on things is bad writing, in one of my favorite anime ever Hikaru no Go, Hikaru dwelled on the loss of a close friend for over 10 episodes, to the point many fans were annoyed by that. I personally liked that scene, never said it was bad. Maybe it's not written in a way that I can actually feel for it or accept it. Like I said, the story element/ideas might be good but you gotta execute it right.

But no. It's not a pedophilic comment. It's a joke. And a joke made at the expense of a member of the crew they know and has a reputation for hitting on girls all the time. And it's a joke that the group understands and laughs at, whether it's in bad taste or not is debatable but it certainly doesn't say "I love underage girls" which is how it should be if you want to label it as pedophilic.
Almost forgot what my original intent was, regardless of whether it was pedophilic or not, it was cringy. As cringy as new girl in Dungeon Seeker trying to throw around forced sex jokes after meeting the guy for less than a day.

Oh, they could get the money back in the end.
I know

Eh, I don't know. You don't seem to be pointing at actual flaws of the show here, just personality flaws. I guess you just don't agree with how Shirase and Hinata behaved?
It's more about Shirase than Hinata, Shirase overreacted and made this a big deal, though I also didn't like that Hinata basically made the decision of staying behind without consulting her friends first, and just said "it's done deal, let's not talk about it and get some sleep for tomorrow". It's a drama that could've easily avoided but chose not to because "need to develop these characters mane".

I also brought up Hanebado because I have somewhat of the same issue that I have with that show that I do with Sora Yori. Characters just become really angsty. And I saw a couple of your comments as well when I was reading through the episode discussion threads.

Onsa_Rin said:
Ever heard of student exchange programs? Over here, we get a bunch of high school students from Japan, Korea and a host of other countries who come to study by themselves, and staying with foster/host/billet families who they've never met in their life, let alone known for a few months. It's all about trusting the people who are responsible for looking after them, and I would think a high profile Antartica expedition and research crew would be a relatively safe group to travel with. Not to mention Shirase has known the crew for a long time - heck, Gin is like a mother figure for her.
Heard of it a long time ago but don't know much about it. My point was not about the expedition group, but the fact that all 4 of them have known each other for not a very long time. Already addressed that Shirase's case makes sense.

Hitomi is best girl, yes, more so than Hina and Anzu. Oops. Wrong anime. You need to expand your mindset if working part time jobs as a student is all about the short-term money. These days, future employers (and some universities/colleges) will look at your work and volunteer history, including part time work as a student as an indicator of how trustworthy and responsible a person you are. It gives you a huge leg up on your future career; and more and more students are joining the workforce to gain that very experience for their future. And I don't think Kimari did take up that club/escort job in the end... :D
I know very well about the first part, and you missed my point, my view point on this was on the parents side, and it's not about making money, but rather making money by thinking about working in a night club, and making money to spend it on a trip to antartica, skipping out on your education in school.

jal90's comments are on point with regards to this whole drama issue. As for the forgotten passport and negligence; they did manage to get to the port as scheduled, so likely the main crew had no knowledge of the whole drama. I'm just pointing out Shirase's worry and reasons behind her resistance to staying an extra few days at the beginning. You would too, if you had fought all those years to get on board the ship, only to potentially be turned away due to (initially) no fault of your own.
I don't think Shirase was even worried about herself in that situation.

Not everyone is going to respond the same way in the same situation. You can't criticize a show for characters reacting differently from you, when there are tons of others (myself included) who can empathize with their situation and/or have been in the same situation and seen real life people react the same way. In any case, I will avoid talking about emotional responses as there are no right or wrong answers here. Each of us behave differently.
I could imagine sympathizing with families of the dead, but all 4 of them bawling their eyes out at the same time?

Running off on your own in the middle of Antartica is the fastest way to an early grave. This is not a tour bus to the Rockies type of trip. On some of their side trips, the girls have been shown to do their own activities - Yuzuki doing her idol show, Shirase ending up too close to the penguins etc. There's ample time for them to do their individual stuff, within reasonable bounds, obviously. The final activity was meant to be a team bonding thing. And they came up with a softball game. Nothing wrong with that. Just shows how much of a team/togetherness they have after months of living together.
Of course I don't mean alone, but I'd have at least stuffs that I myself would want to experience for having this rare opportunity of travelling to the freakin Antartica, doesn't mean that you can't invite your friends to go along with you. Showing all 4 of them having the same idea of fun doesn't enforce the theme of togetherness or friendship, just not something I can sympathize with.

You could be fully decked out with the winter gear and be expedition-crew-fit, and still die from exposure. Case in point - Takako. The girls were not expected to do any physically strenuous activities (nor go to space, for that matter), so beyond being able to put on 50 lbs of winter gear; just what kind of fitness level do they need? The run around the ship on the way there wasn't even a requirement for them - they just chose to join the crew in their runs because they felt like it. Most of the time they were protected from the elements in the base camp, or in the trucks; only going out when weather permitted (and it does get reasonably warm in the summer months there).

If you want to watch them taking naked baths in a nitrogen tank to better withstand the cold, the hentai shows are thataway...
I don't know where the last line came from. I think Gin even mentioned that the kids need to strengthen their body on their way to Antartica, I just expected them to be done with the fitness training before they start doing stuffs like that, not start training after they got on board. It's like registering for a basketball competition that's 7 days away without even knowing the rules of the game. Not the most adequate comparison but you should get my point.

And there was a scene where I think some of them got sea sick and they went outside of the ship in a rain storm where the wave was really strong, without supervision, by themselves, in the middle of the night. I think they even "slipped" once. One wrong slip and one of them would've fell off the ship and we'd be watching a whole different anime then.

again, i would refer to jal90's response to this. There is a whole world of difference between "My underaged daughter is a hot chick" vs "They are underaged, so stay away!". Doesn't really matter where the heck you are in the world.
The fact that they're underaged and off limit should go without saying. The fact that it was addressed or even made as a joke (not funny) just shows that Japan is so into this whole loli shit it's corrupting everyone's mind. Something that should be fairly normal shouldn't be mentioned as a warning to someone to keep their hands off the underaged (jokingly). It's like (jokingly) telling Chris Ingham not to go skinny dipping with underage girls while mildly laughing about it. -.-
ToG25thBaamOct 2, 2018 12:09 PM
Nov 11, 2018 9:45 AM

Nov 2016
Thoroughly enjoyed this from start to finish. Four of the girls chemistry between each other was a joy to watch. I felt that the friendship theme was handled exceptionally well. Glad that I decided to give this anime a shot.
Nov 29, 2018 2:03 PM
Oct 2018
I absolutely loved this from start to finish, so heart warming and enjoyable :-) All the characters feel like they've gained massively from the journey, I feel so inspired <3
Dec 8, 2018 9:08 PM

Dec 2010
Great finale. I think the show started off very strong but started getting a little repetitive in the middle with Hinata's drama. I would've liked to see more from Kimari personally, just because we started with her.
The show definitely peaked at the end of episode 12, when the reality of her mother's death came crashing down on Shirase's shoulders. It was a beautifully handled and cathartic resolution to that underlying plot thread.
Overall, it was a great slice-of-life with phenomenal characters and a beautiful soundtrack.
8.5/10
Dec 13, 2018 9:24 AM

Oct 2013
Looks like there's a lot of debate above, but I more-or-less share the sentiment of criticism.

The character dynamic amongst the four lead characters was a delight all the way through, although admittedly the novelty wore off after the first maybe 4 or so episodes. The other characters were less interesting; in fact, I'd say I did not care about them at all, aside from meme purposes (that cuck heartbroken over the captain lel).

The sense of adventure was tight and I really appreciate how this show kept in line with real-world environments and didn't try to bullshit its way through supernatural occurrences or insane coincidence, as that would've betrayed the vibe of the show.

I've been irked by the repeated "a place further than the universe" motif to describe Antarctica because that sort of ridiculous hyperbole is the sort of annoying thing I associate with anime explicitly. That is a very small criticism, but it is perhaps a symptom of my larger criticism: how over-the-top and lacking in subtlety the show was in how it approached all of its core themes.

At its heart, this was a cute girls doing cute adventure show, which I dig, but the melodrama was worthless to me. As a 26-year-old male, I often felt like this show was hitting a demographic younger than me, in terms of its style and sense of drama.

The best comparison I have is Violet Evergarden from the same anime season. That show is also super dramatic (much more so than Sora Yori, no doubt), but Violet Evergarden deals with drama and feels relevant to me as an adult. Sora Yori deals with drama and feels more relevant to teens, so there's an emotional disconnect.

That's not to say I, as an adult, couldn't relate to any of it, but even where I could I often felt like the drama was addressed by its characters in a very teen drama way. Like when Megu "broke up" with Kimari: that was some highkey teen drama shit. And I say this having had a friend "break up with me" in recent months lmao.

So there was, for me, a lack of maturity guiding its direction. Which is fine; that just means I wasn't its target audience and I wasn't able to withdraw from it what others might more likely be able to. Unfortunately, it's also a crippling blow regarding my enjoyment. With its incredibly positive reception (looking at its MAL average of 8.61 and the heaps of praise posted in this thread), I certainly would've preferred to enjoy it like you folks.

Hinata best girl btw.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Dec 21, 2018 3:15 AM
Aug 2018
Overall a great watch. But the way Takako died wasn't really convincing.

- It's said that she knew about the dangers of a polar expedition, so she should have known the safety procedures and should have had common sense.

- She died because she tried to retrieve a laptop with a picture of herself and her daughter on it. Even if it hold sentimental value, it's still a physical object. She should have known better that it isn't worth it in that situation.

- They were at the station and decided to go back to the snowcat when it was still calm weather. (Else it would be ridiculous to even attempt it.)
They must have either had the snowcat in LOS or a GPS position of it. With a compass and GPS either for the group, or for each individual.

They start moving and suddenly the blizzard comes up. They link eachother with that rope and continue going, with bare visibility. Guess they were beyond the point of return towards the station.

The thought that Takako suddenly has within that blizzard is that she forgot her laptop. Despite everything, she decides to go back on her own, without telling the others. (Did she even have a GPS for herself to return?)

The person 2nd to last didn't notice when Takako released the hook from her suit until she far away.

Takako doesn't have any means of making her visible, no flashlight, no flare, no flare gun. But she has a radio. Bad planning on the equipment side?

She stays in that blizzard and is alive at least until the blizzard calmed down. (Last radio contact.)
She was able to see the stars, so she wasn't fully covered in snow, like after an avalanche.

The remaining team in the snowcat don't have proper rescue equipment either. After the blizzard calms down, they could have used a flare gun to make their position known. Same goes for Tanako with flares or a flashlight.

Depending on the walking distance to the station and elapsed time, she should have been somewhere rather close. Since you wouldn't park that snowcat awfully far away from the point you want to go to.

That are a few thoughts of mine regarding her rather overly dramatic and slightly unrealistic death. But well, whatever suits the plot, huh?
Dec 21, 2018 4:17 AM

Jun 2016
Zadion said:
Looks like there's a lot of debate above, but I more-or-less share the sentiment of criticism.

The character dynamic amongst the four lead characters was a delight all the way through, although admittedly the novelty wore off after the first maybe 4 or so episodes. The other characters were less interesting; in fact, I'd say I did not care about them at all, aside from meme purposes (that cuck heartbroken over the captain lel).

The sense of adventure was tight and I really appreciate how this show kept in line with real-world environments and didn't try to bullshit its way through supernatural occurrences or insane coincidence, as that would've betrayed the vibe of the show.

I've been irked by the repeated "a place further than the universe" motif to describe Antarctica because that sort of ridiculous hyperbole is the sort of annoying thing I associate with anime explicitly. That is a very small criticism, but it is perhaps a symptom of my larger criticism: how over-the-top and lacking in subtlety the show was in how it approached all of its core themes.

At its heart, this was a cute girls doing cute adventure show, which I dig, but the melodrama was worthless to me. As a 26-year-old male, I often felt like this show was hitting a demographic younger than me, in terms of its style and sense of drama.

The best comparison I have is Violet Evergarden from the same anime season. That show is also super dramatic (much more so than Sora Yori, no doubt), but Violet Evergarden deals with drama and feels relevant to me as an adult. Sora Yori deals with drama and feels more relevant to teens, so there's an emotional disconnect.

That's not to say I, as an adult, couldn't relate to any of it, but even where I could I often felt like the drama was addressed by its characters in a very teen drama way. Like when Megu "broke up" with Kimari: that was some highkey teen drama shit. And I say this having had a friend "break up with me" in recent months lmao.

So there was, for me, a lack of maturity guiding its direction. Which is fine; that just means I wasn't its target audience and I wasn't able to withdraw from it what others might more likely be able to. Unfortunately, it's also a crippling blow regarding my enjoyment. With its incredibly positive reception (looking at its MAL average of 8.61 and the heaps of praise posted in this thread), I certainly would've preferred to enjoy it like you folks.

Hinata best girl btw.

Actually the demographic of the show is supposed to be Seinen (young adults mostly). The premise is that while the characters are teens, what they're trying to accomplish is noting close to what teens usually do in their lives. Because of this, a way you could relate to the show is viewing your teen life retrospectively and imagine yourself actually following Mari's example by doing something crazy for a change and experiencing a life-changing and personality shaping journey.

Remember that it's never too late as well. I believe that's one of the core messages of the show. It doesn't matter if you've failed in the past, as long as you look brightly into tommorow and the endless possibilities that await to be explored.

Dec 22, 2018 10:32 PM

Apr 2016
tr25a3 said:
Overall a great watch. But the way Takako died wasn't really convincing.

- It's said that she knew about the dangers of a polar expedition, so she should have known the safety procedures and should have had common sense.

Easy enough to say, but under certain situations, everybody thinks they can beat the odds and cheat on the procedures "just a little". Unfortunately Takako paid for the misjudgment in the weather with her life. What's so unconvincing about it?

- She died because she tried to retrieve a laptop with a picture of herself and her daughter on it. Even if it hold sentimental value, it's still a physical object. She should have known better that it isn't worth it in that situation.

It's not just sentimental value. As people have pointed out in other threads, that's her entire work and research that's contained in the laptop. If she had left the laptop behind and gone back to Shouwa camp, she would be stuck without all her work on this expedition to the new station; and possibly more if they didn't follow proper backup procedures at base camp (very possible). She would have to wait until they mounted another expedition back, and who knows how long that could take.
No, to a scientific researcher like that, that laptop represented her life; and it was worth a quick break in procedure as above. As Gin said, the weather was still "good" when they were making their way to the snowcats, so Takako probably thought she had time to quickly rush back into the station to grab her laptop. If the blizzard had already started when she realized she had forgotten her laptop, it is far more likely she would have followed the rope crew to the safety of the snowcats and waited out the storm before going back to grab her laptop.

- They were at the station and decided to go back to the snowcat when it was still calm weather. (Else it would be ridiculous to even attempt it.)
They must have either had the snowcat in LOS or a GPS position of it. With a compass and GPS either for the group, or for each individual.

They start moving and suddenly the blizzard comes up. They link eachother with that rope and continue going, with bare visibility. Guess they were beyond the point of return towards the station.

The thought that Takako suddenly has within that blizzard is that she forgot her laptop. Despite everything, she decides to go back on her own, without telling the others. (Did she even have a GPS for herself to return?)

Have you ever noticed your GPS signal get weak or become unavailable when the weather gets bad? Satellite signals get dispersed badly when there's thick storms. Now, imagine an antarctica blizzard in whiteout conditions. Even if she had a GPS with her, it would be next to useless. Not only would it not pick up any signal, you can't even see your own hands, let alone any GPS screen.
Besides, there's a much bigger chance that she was quickly buried by the snow.

The person 2nd to last didn't notice when Takako released the hook from her suit until she far away.

Takako doesn't have any means of making her visible, no flashlight, no flare, no flare gun. But she has a radio. Bad planning on the equipment side?

She stays in that blizzard and is alive at least until the blizzard calmed down. (Last radio contact.)
She was able to see the stars, so she wasn't fully covered in snow, like after an avalanche.

No, watch episode 12 again. The snow was piled up to the snowcat's window when Gin got the final contact from Takako. There's no way Takako would be aboveground at that point. The more commonly accepted thought is that she was on the throes of death from the cold, and her final delirious thought was of the aurora.

The remaining team in the snowcat don't have proper rescue equipment either. After the blizzard calms down, they could have used a flare gun to make their position known. Same goes for Tanako with flares or a flashlight.

Depending on the walking distance to the station and elapsed time, she should have been somewhere rather close. Since you wouldn't park that snowcat awfully far away from the point you want to go to.

Why bother with flares and flashlights when the snowcats all have huge floodlights that shine brighter? If Takako was miraculously still able to be walking around after the blizzard, she would have been able to pick out the snowcat convoy in the dark easily.

No, the snowcats and expedition members were trapped in the snow as well, and probably needed to wait for light or better weather to dig themselves out first before they could even mount a search party. The fact they never found Takako's body clearly implied that she was buried deep in the snow somewhere.

That are a few thoughts of mine regarding her rather overly dramatic and slightly unrealistic death. But well, whatever suits the plot, huh?

There are other scenes that can be considered unrealistic, but Takako's death is not one of them. The writing in this series has been one of its biggest strength, and they are not going to screw up one of the most important parts.
_totoro-kun_Dec 22, 2018 11:13 PM
Dec 31, 2018 11:47 PM

Mar 2016
Well, had to re-watch the best anime of 2018 on the last night of the year.
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Jan 2, 2019 3:27 PM
Apr 2018
First of all (because I didn't get this part): Takako's got lost in the blizzard, her team couldn't find her, the blizzard stops and Takako gets to see, the stars/aurora? but when did she got the time to send that aurora picture to Shirase? That is the only part that confused me.

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was expecting the four girls to reach Antartica on the second ep and from that on, they doing girly stuff in the snow but YoriMoi focusing on the whole journey (even training) was a pleasant surprise.

Hinata best girl.
Jan 3, 2019 9:10 PM

Feb 2018
SaiDrew said:
First of all (because I didn't get this part): Takako's got lost in the blizzard, her team couldn't find her, the blizzard stops and Takako gets to see, the stars/aurora? but when did she got the time to send that aurora picture to Shirase? That is the only part that confused me.

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was expecting the four girls to reach Antartica on the second ep and from that on, they doing girly stuff in the snow but YoriMoi focusing on the whole journey (even training) was a pleasant surprise.

Hinata best girl.

That aurora picture is already taken before she lost. She just said its beatiful, she didn't say she see aurora at the time she lost. The reason she lost to blizzard is because she forgot her laptop and that laptop already has that e-mail draft. the one who sends that e-mail to Shirase is Gin.
Jan 7, 2019 9:32 AM
Apr 2018
gadboyz said:
SaiDrew said:

Hinata best girl.

That aurora picture is already taken before she lost. She just said its beatiful, she didn't say she see aurora at the time she lost. The reason she lost to blizzard is because she forgot her laptop and that laptop already has that e-mail draft. the one who sends that e-mail to Shirase is Gin.

Ohh, wait, I think now I get it. Takako had sent the email but it was never delivered (because of no internet or whatever) that's why it was in the "Outbox" instead of "Sent Mail" or "Drafts", right? And then Gin does her part
Jan 11, 2019 8:48 PM

Mar 2017
Had a re-watch still same problem for me. I just don't like the character drama and how it's done. Same thing happened with Sound! Euphonium for me. (Same script writer.) I'm not a fan of melodrama here and in a lot of anime in general. (dislike Clannad, Your Lie in April. Angel Beats and Anohana.) Also basically almost everything script wise Mari Okada has done.
Jan 11, 2019 10:07 PM

Jun 2015
this was a pleasant and fun anime to watch, i enjoy how it's portrayed and done, whilst incorporating elements of drama in it. 8/10, hinata best girl
Jan 19, 2019 6:14 AM

Apr 2016
What an amazing journey . This is probably the most satisfying ending that I've ever watch in anime for a long time especially that Aurora part seriously gave me the goosebumps . 10/10 would rewatch it later .
"Mountains, beings, and nature's laws are bound by an arrangement, and within it, we live." -Mushishi Zoku Shou Suzu No Shizuku
Jan 27, 2019 8:21 AM

Feb 2015
It was an emotive final chapter, I loved it. It is incredible to think all the experiences that a journey can teach us.
Jan 28, 2019 8:55 AM

Dec 2009
After yet another rewatch, i still get that amazing feeling of having gone through quite a journey, even just as a watcher... A good immersive story has that "almost like you were there with them" effect, and it does stick with you to a degree. Fantastic as ever. Truly one of the best anime in years, and a genre i am dying for more of in the future: cute girls doing amazing things!

Zadion said:
Try saying that again when you go on such a journey. The point is that Antarctica is the final true frontier on earth, and getting there for anyone who doesn't just fly there, is like a journey out of the story books.

The reality is is FEELS like it's further than the universe, because it's not like a trip to the observatory, anyone can see the universe from not too far away. In some ways a place like Antarctica (even more so the deep sea) are physically harder to get to and more treacherous than going to space. This is not an aspect of anime, at all, never was. Real people feel this way about things when they get that passion, everything about this anime was very realistic and plausible; from the drama to the quest itself and how all the people were along the way. For people crazy enough to want to go to such an extreme place, it'd be a life's passion for them. You also have to remember these are teenagers, when your world is as small as a teenager's, everything seems so big.

There's also the factor of wanting to inspire future endeavour there. While it's mostly barren, it is still that last frontier, and who knows what might be waiting to be discovered. The factor of it being barren, difficult to get to and remain there, makes it a turn-off for investment to go there, meaning you need extra campaigning to draw appeal to the place. So in that respect also, it's very validated.

Long story short, your criticism is rather baseless.

@tr25a3
Onsa_Rin said:
tr25a3 said:

Have you ever noticed your GPS signal get weak or become unavailable when the weather gets bad? Satellite signals get dispersed badly when there's thick storms. Now, imagine an antarctica blizzard in whiteout conditions. Even if she had a GPS with her, it would be next to useless. Not only would it not pick up any signal, you can't even see your own hands, let alone any GPS screen.
Besides, there's a much bigger chance that she was quickly buried by the snow.
GPS operate on radio frequency signals that are bounced off satellites. Weather is funtamentally an electrical phenomenon, primarily operating in the radio frequency. The phenomena forming weather systems is fundamentally disruptive to signals. If anything it's amazing signals can be gotten at all through active weather of any kind.

Onsa_Rin said:
tr25a3 said:

No, watch episode 12 again. The snow was piled up to the snowcat's window when Gin got the final contact from Takako. There's no way Takako would be aboveground at that point. The more commonly accepted thought is that she was on the throes of death from the cold, and her final delirious thought was of the aurora.
I disagree, and she never made it to the laptop. I don't recall them ever saying anything about finding her body. She probably got lost trying to get back to the station. If she died underground in the facility, they would have found her and had her body, instead of the hardship of being unable to find her... The whole "this is where we lost contact". Thus it is most likely there was either clear starry skies or another aurora (it's not completely unlikely that there were multiple aurorae, as they are not infrequent near the magnetic poles, though they are less frequent to expand outwards in wider area - it all depends on the solar cycle and the time of year). Also, the snowcat was not buried really - blizzards don't storm in heaps of deep snow everywhere like an avalanche, it's enough to cover wheels of cars and potentially bury people lying down and so on (the show you see on the side of the snowcat was not piled, it was in the window frame and stuck to the side of the vehicle). Look back after the 17 minute mark in episode 9 - they were out searching before the radio transmission came through. Takako probably succumbed to the cold and was unable to move anymore, laying half buried somewhere.
GenesisAriaJan 28, 2019 9:30 AM

Jan 28, 2019 12:37 PM

Oct 2013
GenesisAria said:
Try saying that again when you go on such a journey. The point is that Antarctica is the final true frontier on earth, and getting there for anyone who doesn't just fly there, is like a journey out of the story books.

The reality is is FEELS like it's further than the universe, because it's not like a trip to the observatory, anyone can see the universe from not too far away. In some ways a place like Antarctica (even more so the deep sea) are physically harder to get to and more treacherous than going to space. This is not an aspect of anime, at all, never was. Real people feel this way about things when they get that passion, everything about this anime was very realistic and plausible; from the drama to the quest itself and how all the people were along the way. For people crazy enough to want to go to such an extreme place, it'd be a life's passion for them. You also have to remember these are teenagers, when your world is as small as a teenager's, everything seems so big.

There's also the factor of wanting to inspire future endeavour there. While it's mostly barren, it is still that last frontier, and who knows what might be waiting to be discovered. The factor of it being barren, difficult to get to and remain there, makes it a turn-off for investment to go there, meaning you need extra campaigning to draw appeal to the place. So in that respect also, it's very validated.

Long story short, your criticism is rather baseless.

I appreciate your feedback, and you make a compelling argument, but it's honestly lost on me.

I understand the hyperbole behind the title motif, but describing it in such exaggerated terms is the sort of youthful hyperbole that's disconnected from my sphere. This show was super heavy handed across the board; the title motif was just a harmless symptom of the issue. I don't really care about it. I understand a lot of people appreciate this series and kind of, sort of get why they do, but I definitely don't fit into the target audience. I mean, this doesn't really change how I feel or my experience with the series, lol.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Jan 28, 2019 7:09 PM

Apr 2016
GenesisAria said:

Onsa_Rin said:
I disagree, and she never made it to the laptop. I don't recall them ever saying anything about finding her body. She probably got lost trying to get back to the station. If she died underground in the facility, they would have found her and had her body, instead of the hardship of being unable to find her... The whole "this is where we lost contact". Thus it is most likely there was either clear starry skies or another aurora (it's not completely unlikely that there were multiple aurorae, as they are not infrequent near the magnetic poles, though they are less frequent to expand outwards in wider area - it all depends on the solar cycle and the time of year). Also, the snowcat was not buried really - blizzards don't storm in heaps of deep snow everywhere like an avalanche, it's enough to cover wheels of cars and potentially bury people lying down and so on (the show you see on the side of the snowcat was not piled, it was in the window frame and stuck to the side of the vehicle). Look back after the 17 minute mark in episode 9 - they were out searching before the radio transmission came through. Takako probably succumbed to the cold and was unable to move anymore, laying half buried somewhere.

I don't think anyone ever implied Takako made it back to the bunker where her laptop was stored. If that were the case they would've found her body in the shelter. By "not being aboveground", I meant exactly what you said - she would have been buried by the snow and succumbed to the cold.

On another note about the laptop, I realized recently that while Takako's primary use of her laptop was for research; another big possible reason she decided to head back was that she remembered that her aurora email to Shirase was still unsent, sitting in the Outbox until they could get back to Syowa Camp.
Jan 29, 2019 10:47 AM

Dec 2009
Onsa_Rin said:
On another note about the laptop, I realized recently that while Takako's primary use of her laptop was for research; another big possible reason she decided to head back was that she remembered that her aurora email to Shirase was still unsent, sitting in the Outbox until they could get back to Syowa Camp.
Of course, while Takako was out in Antarctica, she was far away from her beloved daughter, it's not just the mechanical context of the message unsent, nono. That laptop would have meant the world to her, like her "wilson"(if you're familiar to cast away), that laptop was emotionally symbolic of her connection with her daughter, especially with it having the photo of the 2 of them on it, and the password being... Well that's an interesting thing.

If you noticed when she was trying to unlock the laptop, it's easy to figure out from the 4 digit pin, that her first attempt was her mother's birthday, as any child might guess of their parents' password. When it didn't work, one could only presume she tried her own birthday. This being the case, solidifying that the laptop symbolized Takako's love and connection to her daughter, as she was always thinking of her when using it.

Feb 16, 2019 7:38 PM

Nov 2016
This should have been anime of the year. Justice has lost forever.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 19, 2019 11:52 AM

Sep 2018

Pretty Great last Episode and a overall Great show and maybe if it gets popular enogh i would like to see a Prequel (with the Team where Shirases Mum Died) or a Sequel series or Movie where they go to the Antarctica again or another Place idk but i just wanna see more

This proves once again that if Madhouse gives a show and ending it is a good one...
-Mullerio-Feb 20, 2019 10:08 AM
Feb 20, 2019 10:04 AM

Feb 2018
Mullerio said:
So Megu is in Antarctica now,propably with the Winter Team?

Pretty Great last Episode and a overall Great show and maybe if it gets popular enogh i would like to see a Prequel (with the Team where Shirases Mum Died) or a Sequel series or Movie where they go to the Antarctica again or another Place idk but i just wanna see more

This proves once again that if Madhouse gives a show and ending it is a good one...

Megu isn't at Antartica, She is at Artic aka North Pole
Feb 20, 2019 10:13 AM

Sep 2018
gadboyz said:
Mullerio said:
So Megu is in Antarctica now,propably with the Winter Team?

Megu isn't at Antartica, She is at Artic aka North Pole

Yea sry about that i watched a version where the Messages werent subbed and i just saw the picture and thought "oh wtf" but that makes more sense and after rewatching it with the Messages subbed i noticed it too,still thx for the information so i could edit it :)
Feb 26, 2019 2:19 PM

Jul 2012
really beautiful anime. i didnt think i would like it at first but it heavily improved later on when they started their journey. i also didn't like the character melodrama as some people stated in this thread, like megu's. once that BS was over, the drama in the show got better like the main girl finding her mom's laptop.

sticking with 8/10
Mar 2, 2019 11:29 PM
Apr 2018
Did Megumi really go to the Arctic? Or is she avoiding Kimari?
Mar 3, 2019 9:00 AM

Feb 2018
NefariousNinja said:
Did Megumi really go to the Arctic? Or is she avoiding Kimari?

She really go to Arctic. Remember at Episode 5 that She realize that someone who need to go somewhere isn't Kimari but her, so its makes sense why she want go artic. Also if she really was avoiding Kimari, why she still read her chat and also sometimes reply it when Kimari was in Antartica (Episode 10)
Mar 6, 2019 6:34 AM

Mar 2008
Somehow seemed superficial and vapid, even hollow, despite a grand theme full of earnestness. I felt there was a severe lack of sincerity surrounding the beginning impetus of the premise, so I couldn't relate to the characters at all which made it awfully boring for the most part.

I'm glad the last couple of episodes were slightly better plus I enjoyed the drama between Kimari and Megumi, and Hinata and her former friends but those moments couldn't really carry the rest of the show for me. Still I had to watch all of it cause the score was so high, suggesting something profound.
Mar 8, 2019 5:29 PM

Feb 2018
I laughed , i cried and damn what a journey i had watching "Sora yori mo Tooi Basho", i have no idea how i missed it last year , thankfully everyone was praising it ( for a reason ) until finally it caught my attention , and i'm glad i didn't miss out on such a Masterpiece .
Mar 14, 2019 8:16 AM

Jun 2012
Probably my anime of the year, and the only one that actually gave me a such complete feeling. Wonderful characters, wonderful finale, wonderful anime.
EternalSerenityMar 14, 2019 5:04 PM
Apr 13, 2019 6:49 AM
Feb 2016
Ahh.....what a great journey! Thank you very much for this anime it’s been a great journey. Gonna miss the girls a lot. The songs. And now i wanna die....goddamn it!!!wait imma go on a journey first
May 6, 2019 7:48 AM

Feb 2013
Lool, that ending was so random haha, Megu-chan really wanted to go there too!
May 6, 2019 7:52 AM
Oct 2017
Ulquiorra said:
Lool, that ending was so random haha, Megu-chan really wanted to go there too!

if ever there is a sequel, it will be centered on the journey of Megu-chan
May 10, 2019 9:02 AM

Apr 2015
nice ending haha.
Pages (9) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Binge or slow watch?

Crystalligator - Aug 23

18 by GoldEEr »»
Aug 28, 5:21 PM

» What's good about this ?

Bruh-__- - Nov 25, 2021

25 by Laplace_kun »»
Aug 23, 10:20 PM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2017

309 by LostBoii »»
Aug 22, 2:08 PM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 30, 2018

214 by kirA_-_ »»
Aug 18, 7:41 AM

» How realistic is this??

Sandro8604 - May 25, 2021

12 by Tacsk0 »»
Aug 13, 1:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.